Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: December 18, 2015
4,664
1,402
Watch Now
ClassicRPMJun 10, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a Star Wars movie made for non-Star Wars fans. Here is why:

- The movie is simplified to the maximum. Gone are all those details from the saga that made the universe rich and credible. All combat space ships are a renewed version of X-wings and Tie Fighters. Gone are the Y-wing bombers, the fast A-wings or the Tie interceptors. Only the Millenium Falcon remains. This is because even amateurs who never watched a Star Wars movie know what it is.

- There is a basic "non-written rule" in the Star Wars universe that has been broken in this movie. And this is, I believe, what made all old-school Star Wars fans angry. The fact that a stupid untrained teenager can just take a lightsaber and use it like he is allowed too. Long gone are those padawans that worked hard for years with discipline, learning from their jedi mentors. Now everybody can just pick up a lightsaber and be the hero of the day. And this is the message that Disney wants to give to the new generation of kids.

- The villain is a joke. Not only mediocre, but a real joke. Darth Maul, Count Dooku, Vader, the Emperor... All of them had their charisma. Even Grievous is a better villain than this pimplehead teenager with personality issues. Congratulations Disney, you made the first Star Wars emo villain.

- Did I mention that this villain has super crazy powers? He can stop laser shots with his mind!! Incredible. Not even Vader or the Emperor were able to do such a thing. But, oh, wait. When it comes to using the lightsaber, this other teenagers can easily kick his ass, even if they never touched a saber. Imagine Darth Maul being kicked in the ass by a jedi noob? Darth Vader? The emperor? Come on, even Sebulba would have kicked some Kyle o Ren ass.

- The only essence that was left in Star Wars VII was Han Solo. The only one. And what did they do? Make him die. In a moment that is very reminiscent of that famous "I am your father" scene. Seriously, Disney?

- The whole script is a cheap copy of Star Wars Episode IV, which is, in any way possible, infinitely better than this movie.

Thanks Disney for ruining a franchise. Chapeau. Hope the dollars are worth it.
UndertoneApr 28, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie has so many jarring plot holes, inconsistencies that it's a cringe-fest. Plain and simple - it doesn't make any sense. Seriously if you thought the prequels were bad, they seem like a stroke of genius compared to this crap.How this movie gets good reviews is beyond me. I love Star Wars but this movie is a joke. They should have just followed the books. Hell, they should have even went with George Lucas ideas.

Some of the issues:

1) A storm trooper getting an existential crisis in a middle of a battle? Reasons for doing what's he doing. "It's not right". Thank you for 3rd grade arguments.
2) Met 5 mins ago but storm trooper and rebel agent are bros for life?
3) How did rebel bro survive? Why did he abandon his super important mission?
4) How did the lightsaber "talk"?
5) Why is the rebel alliance, the "rebel" resistance? Didn't they defeat the running government before? Who are they resisting against?
6) How did they build the 40 times bigger "death star" when it took the actual Empire YEARS and the full support of the ENTIRE galaxy. These guys are like 1/10 of the Empire and they build something 40 times bigger.
7) Why did Luke just run off instead of facing responsibility? Why did he go on a fricckin island? Why does nobody know where he is? Cause plot demands it?
8) Who is the Sith guy? Why didn't Palpatine know about him? Why would Palpatine let competition like that exist?
9) What is Kylo's motivation (other than cause plot says it)? How can you go dark side when you have arguably best diplomat as mom, best smuggler as dad, best jedi as master?
10) How is it not a rip-off of Episode 4, plot basically follows same friggin story except new "graphics"?
11) How can a storm trooper use a lightsaber and stuff?
12) Who is the CGI yellow mouse that's a friend of Han Solo? How does she has Luke's light saber? How is she connected? What's her point? What's her motivation? How does the light saber speak to the girl? Light sabers aren't force sensitive or living things to be able to talk through the Force?
13) How can a complete novice (practically knows 5 mins before that she actually has the force) use Jedi Mind Trick when it is established that first it only works on the weak minded and second you need to be well-versed in the Force to be able to use it?
14) How can a complete novice defeat a well trained Jedi (or rather ex-Jedi) trained for some years by none other than Luke Skywalker who managed to kill other students (who were also Jedi)?
15) Why is everyone acting like the Rebel Alliance defeated the Empire, the Force and the Jedi is some kind of MYTH? It happened what like 10-15 years ago? How is it not a common knowledge how the Empire was defeated? Why does nobody knows about it? Why is Han Solo talking about it like it's some kind of legend?

I can add at least 30 more points to this list - that's just what comes off the top of my mind. Anyone telling me this movie is good is either watching a STAND ALONE movie that is not Star Wars or has no idea what the **** are they talking about. Respectable critics schmitics my ass :D
enlibaMay 26, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Many people hate the prequels for some reason. But I believe this movie has to be the worst star wars episode ever. If George Lucas was the director and that disney did not own star wars, I think this movie would been great. Expand
LuhterDec 21, 2015
I don't understand the over inflated score this movie has. I believe people want so bad this movie to be good and they turn into zealots because of this.

On short, this movie is beautiful visually. The acting is the best so far in the series and natural. The pace is steady and funny moments are well balanced. The sound is above average, mainly because it tends to become predictable in toward the end. If a movie would be defined by only by those things, this SW would be a solid 9, maybe even 10.

But its not. A movie is a visual novel. And the story is terrible, so terrible that I felt bad how dumb and force it was. The characters lack depth, and the inner conflicts are pathetically expressed on screen. They exist just to showcase fan favorite concepts and to form a narrative that is a remake of episode 4. At this chapter this movie is bellow Hanna Barbara level.
Unlimitedpowa2Jul 3, 2016
Star Wars™ Episode VII: The Force™ Awakens™ is the latest disappointment from Lucasarts™ and Disney™!

Prepare to witness the worst Star Wars™ movie since Revenge of the Sith™! Which will leave you asking questions like: - Why did

- Why did Captain Phasma™ walk into the hallway the exact moment Finn™ took of his helmet?
- How did Rey™ know how to fix a droid and fly a 60+ year old spaceship by living on a remote desert planet for 10-20 years?
- How did Rey™ know how to fix a 60+ year old spaceship?
- How did Rey™ know how to use the Force™ without any training what so ever? Infact, how did she know she had the Force™ How did she instantly know how to use a trick that took the Jedi™ years to learn and master?
- How did Rey™ know how to use a lightsaber without any training and how did she beat a Sith™ that had years of training with a Jedi™ master?
- How did Finn™ make it past the First Order™'s mental test when he can't even kill one random villager?
- How conventient is it that Finn™ was put on the same mission that Kylo Ren was on™?
- How does Kylo Ren™ know Finn™'s Stormtrooper™ number? Does he know everyone's Stormtrooper™ name or just those who betrays the First Order™? It's never really explained in the movie.
- Why does Kylo Ren want the map to Luke Skywalker™? Is it really THAT important to know the exact location of ONE Jedi™ Knight? In that case, why? Kylo Ren™ murdered all of Luke's apprentices in cold blood. It's not like Luke is gonna come outta hiding just to train a few more people, right? In that case, Kylo Ren™ can just murder those too, and while he's there he can just find Luke and kill him! This is a way better plot than the one we got!
- Why is Starkiller Base™ powered by stars? In order to fire it's beam it needs to drain energy from the nearby stars. And the planet Starkiller Base™ was located on just had 2 stars. What happens when Starkiller Base™ has drained all the energy from the 2 suns? Do they just pack up and move to another planet and build a base powered by stars there, too? In fact, why don't they just build another Death Star™? I mean, the rebellion could have just destroyed the plans when they blew up the second Death Star™. But are you telling me that there aren't more than 1 plan out there? You know, just in case someone stole or destroyed the others. It feels like a pretty stupid design choose for a superweapon (Starkiller Base™).
- And much much more!

And before any of you say "Luke is more lf a marry sue than Rey is" NO! NO! Luke knew how to fly a ship because his father could, those sort of thing things runs in the blood, you know. He is strong with the force because 2 Jedi masters trained him. Plus he's the son of the Chosen One. You know, the one that could destroy the Sith, bring balance and peace to the galaxy and could become the most powerful Jedi that had ever lived. That makes alot more sense than someone who magically knew how to use the force with no trainging what so ever and could beat up a Sith apprentice again, with no training what so ever. What, is she the daughter of Luke? Well she can't be since she only thought he was a myth. It is NEVER explained in the movie! And watch J.J make the big reveal in Episode 8 and reveal that she is Kylo's sister or what ever. Because J.J can't come up with a good idea so he just copies stories that has been told before and adds some more characters to them. Atleast Lucas had some original ideas. You know, the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy and some other movies he made outside of Star Wars. Oh, I'm running out of characters here.

Well, don't go and see this movie. In fact, don't buy it on Blu-Ray. Just pirate it if you want to sit though 2 hours of torture.
19 of 29 users found this helpful1910
ddreddDec 21, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can honestly say that I didn't have very high expectations about this film, and I say that because I knew the movie was going to be directed by JJ Abrams. Don't get me wrong, I liked Star Trek 1. All Star Trek 2 did however was bring home to me the fact that if I was waiting to see anything revolutionary or even new from Abrams, I was wasting my time. I still can't fathom why after the runaway success of first film, rather than putting his stamp on the franchise by doing something memorable and new the best he could do was to rehash the Wrath of Khan. I knew then he lacked the bravery and vision required to create the type of film I had been dreaming of ever since I saw the Empire Strikes Back, and if the Force Awakens is anything to go by, I know now that I was right. There is nothing new or vaguely original about episode VII. This is movie making by the numbers plagiarism as an art form, and blatantly so. There isn't an original theme in the entire film! It is nothing more than a tired retread. Luke and Rey, Darth Vadar and Kylo Ren, fallen father fallen son and the similarities between episode IV and VII go on and on. Say what you want about episodes I-III, stilted writing, poor casting, even poorer acting, at least they showed more originality than anything this sorry film has to offer. If Abrams past efforts are anything to go by then we know how this will end, just watch episode VI two years from now instead of episode VIII and save yourself the price of admission. Expand
carlostibDec 21, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh boy!, I can't even begin to fathom how in the world they could mess this up like that!. If you are one of the persons who thought that prequels were bad and it couldn't get worst than that....believe it, IT CAN GET WORST!

The Force Awakens is just a remake/reboot with a complete LACK OF ORIGINALITY. Is a complete rip-off of Episode IV, yes, is exactly the same story, just with worst story and performance: a droid carrying important plans is lost in the desert, an orphan lives in that desert and lives a dull life there dreaming and looking to the horizon, the bad guys go and raid a village in the desert to look for this droid, you have a new Death Star (yes, for the 3rd time!, seems the evil power in turn hasn't learned the lesson and still creates weapons of mass destruction with design flaws, destructable in one single point at plain sight!) just this time bigger and meaner, another trench run with Xwings, and the list goes on and on).

This poor excuse of a movie has huge plotholes, so bad that it seems it was based on a first draft rather than a revised script. It makes me wonder how Lawrence Kasdan was so laureated, seems he was following Lucas orders while adapting the script of the original trilogy and without that creative ideas from Lucas, he's lost and his pen writes just nonsense and mumbo jumbo!. Or maybe just following the "magnificent" idea of reboot Star Wars from some Disney executive or Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy, and try to sell it to the audience as a "sequel", when is clear is NOT.

They sell you just nostalgia all over the movie, which is a huge easter egg from Ep IV and V literally.
But what is worst, is that it seems they got rid of all Lucas canon about what we knew about the Force:
Rey instantly master the Force after touching a lightsaber and a day later that she learned she had the Force, she's able to perform Jedi mind tricks and acquires expert swordsmanship, with any training whatsoever!, she's even able to beat a seasoned dark force user like Kylo Ren that was supposedly trained by Luke and Snoke (they bad copy of Emperor Palpatine and the one pulling the strings of the First Order), just because of millenial girlpower I guess!. That puts the Jedi women of the past to shame since they had to train for years with a Jedi master to be able to become half as proficient as Rey seems to be with the Force in just a few hours. Not even Anakin, the chosen one, could master advanced force techniques or control minds without training.

Not only that, Finn (the stormtrooper that , in his words, worked in "sanitation") was able to match this darforce user (Kylo Ren) in a lightsaber combat and lasted more than 3 mins! Yes, a non-force user like Finn, fighting with a lightsaber as equal with a seasoned dark force user!. Just ridiculous!. You never saw that under Lucas canon.

Also, this janitor stormtrooper is an expert gunner and has top-secret technical data on how to beat the super Death Star (called "Starkiller")...seems the First Order has to work in their security on who to disclose this kind of delicate information.

Also, they use a "Deus ex machina" method to resolve the plot when R2-D2, being put in low battery mode, suddenly wakes up with an important piece of information to find Luke, which everybody (good and bad guys) were looking for like crazy during the whole movie.

And the main villain, Kylo Ren, is just a brat with angry issues, very childish emo-type of guy, which has any of the screen presence or evilness as Darth Vader had. And when he removes his helmet in the movie, that's so hilarious and pathetic that you can't avoid to throw a laugh in that moment. Seriously.

I could go on and on with a HUGE list of flaws, plotholes and points of departure from the canon we knew from 6 past movies and clone wars series. Seems like if Disney jumped in a time-travel DeLorean to the future and reached an alternate Star Wars reality with messed up Force laws and physics, and told you what they saw. This is the new DIsney canon, a simplistic, nonsense galaxy where force beings are powerful just because girlpower and will, and not through discipline and training like the Jedi order for "thousand generations" (as Obi Wan put it in OT) did.

And don't get me wrong, I've always being a huge fan of Star Wars and appreciated the richness in the story behind....but TFA is just plain wrong and shouldn't be considered as part of Star Wars. This is not Star Wars, this is something else, with the "Star Wars" name on it and the aesthetics. JJ Abrams should apologize and rethink the whole story because this movie in the current state is just plain pathetic and boring.
19 of 30 users found this helpful1911
peter657Dec 30, 2015
*No Spoilers*

*No Spoilers*

I wrote this review because, having looked at a fair number of reviews, many of the negatives were nitpicky or vague critiques or they did not adequately capture what I thought were the real issues in the movie. I did not like the movie but I disliked it due to what I see as larger more fundamental problems. First, overarching plot issues muddled the story, broke the engagement & momentum, rearranged the character roles, and halted any development. Secondly, and more importantly, the protagonist Rey (Daisy Ridley), who is far and away the worst part of the movie, but not for the reasons many are saying.

I went into this movie having avidly avoided any trailers, spoilers, or discussion regarding the movie whatsoever. I wanted to be totally open and really give the movie a chance. And for the first half I was hooked and on board! Reimagining the themes from Episode IV the movie put me perfectly back in the Star Wars universe and the new characters had me excited. John Boyega as Fin was far and away the best character in the movie and I really liked the attempt to give a new and humanizing view of the storm troopers. I have seen various complaints about the campiness, deus ex machinas, and plot holes in the film, however to me these are just part of the Star Wars experience and I was totally fine with forgiving, if not embracing, them. Unfortunately for me the movie suffers from far more fundamental problems dealing with plot structure and characters. I have heard people say "well if it wasn't a Star Wars movie it would be better". This is just wrong. The fact that it is a Star Wars movie is about it's only redeeming quality. It is poorly paced, confusing, and completely abandoned character development.

About halfway through the movie I realized to my dismay that the Episode IV callbacks, which I initially took as a framing device to get us into the movie/universe, were actually guiding and shoehorning the movie into this weird Star Wars rehash. The new and unique plot they started to give us was completely abandoned and the movie went on this headlong rush to hit a whole bunch of predetermined, unnecessary, plot points and scenes pulled directly from the original movie. This totally puts a halt on any character development as everyone is suddenly shifted into reprises of characters/roles from the original movie. This is most noticeable with Fin whose character arc basically just stops. So what we are left with is a very poorly paced and confusing plot-line with the things we were told we should care about for the first half completely tossed onto the back burner or ignored completely.

The only positive to this is that it covers up the movie’s biggest flaw. Having read a fair amount of the reviews I am astounded that more people are not talking about what a terrible character Rey) is. Not in that she is a bad person, but in that she is a completely flawless character. She is brave, noble, powerful, humble, loyal, knowledgable and a whole litany of other awesome adjectives. I am all for female protagonists, but the problem is that this is ultimately not really helping push females in hollywood forward. It seems to me that Disney/JJ was scared of 1) people not liking the character 2) getting bashed for portraying a flawed female heroine. However, the problem with a flawless character is that humans aren't perfect. We can't really connect with her. Secondly there is nowhere for her character to go. She just runs through the movie making all the correct choices and hitting the key plot points. In the original trilogy we saw Luke struggle with naivety, dealing with loss, overconfidence, and temptation. In every instance he was punished for his faults and had to grow through the adversity. The movie makes a few attempts to create some of this, but they are feeble at best. We see "naive" wonder at Rey seeing trees for the first time, but then 30 seconds later she demonstrates extreme maturity and wisdom, showing that no she isn't really naive she is just ignorant of a few things (and the movie makes it very clear that it is really just a few things as she is basically an expert in everything she comes up against). She has a brief moment of rejecting her power and destiny, but does a complete reversal and steps into her "hero shoes" within 5 minutes of that. As an audience we can really like a perfect character, but we cannot love them because we can't see ourselves in them. We can't ever love Rey and we don't ever get to see her grow because she has nowhere to grow.

As much as I wanted to like this movie I just couldn’t. I am astounded by the number of people who tell me it an amazing Star Wars movie or that it is just a plain amazing movie, because trying to be as objective as possible, I just cannot see a good movie in what we were given. If you loved it then I am happy for you. I really wish I could have enjoyed it, but apparently not enough to gloss over the fatal flaws.

2/10 Lightsabers
loli_hunterDec 27, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its a pretty bland movie, its literally Mary Sue on steroids. She literally has a roid rage and does everything by herself, if you want to throw away everything waht the force is and what it Starwars stands for then you clearly love this movie.

Its pathetic action flick gimmick. Not even enjoyable.
ctn1187Dec 22, 2015
I really liked this movie the first time when it was called Star Wars episode IV: A New Hope. that was a good movie. this was A New Hope with better special effects and worse acting and writing.
joepDec 27, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Worst... Star Wars movie... ever! Instead of creating something new and original Abrams shamelessly uses an old plot. Also, the characters in the movie have no depth at all (which Abrams claims is the most important thing!). I mean, what the hell is up with this Kylo Ren character? It seems like just decided to join the sith as some kind of dumb puberty act. The acting as well as some of the jokes are painful to watch. I would give it a 1 for special effects, but somehow the "authentic puppetry" doesn't match with all the CGI, making it even more unbelievable than with the bad acting alone. Also, Abrams managed to create an orange CGI character even more annoying than Jar Jar. Expand
displeasedJan 7, 2016
This is not a Star Wars movie, it's a scifi movie that happens to have Han Solo and lightsabers

The plot is nonexistant. I just saw it and I already can't remember what happens. Why do they need to kill Luke so bad? It's not explained and I can't bring myself to care, because I know the answer: Fan service.

but the worst thing about it is that there's just no "mystical Star Wars feeling." It just feels like boring old real life. They didn't try to transport you to another world

JJ Abrams is a childish doofus. He cuts from a scene just before something interesting could potentially happen. He makes a cut probably every five seconds. He literally has no attention span. The only thing that happens in this movie is fights and explosions.

I don't want or need to be told that "the force is real." The movie should just assume that. I don't need time to be wasted convincing the characters. This was a terrible decision. Hopefully Luke will fill this role later (probably not), but I need an established "Force presence." I need leaders, experts and mentors in the force so real stuff can happen, instead of kiddy amateur stuff that has no impact on anything. What is this, is this universe pure Anarchy where everyone is removed from society when they turn 30? What is actually going on in this world? Is it just a bunch of kids spazzing out playing pretend? Where are the powerful people, the people that matter? Snoke is there, but doesn't really do anything. The newbie kids should get kicked around by the obviousness of the force.

Harrison Ford was great. The only good part of the movie was Han Solo. Unfortunately there's not enough Han Solo to save it. Story-wise, he really felt shoehorned in anyway

The style of humor just decimates any chance of taking the movie seriously. It comes too close to breaking the fourth wall, and it's just a very cheap, very self-satisfying way to write something. Luckily, once Harrison Ford shows up, that style of humor diminishes somewhat

Just give me a second to get to know these characters, their personal lives, their flaws and weaknesses, something relatable, that's all I ask. When I see a movie, I want to forget I'm watching a movie. I don't want fictitious-feeling invincible characters who feel no fear and have no real challenges to overcome. The whole basic thing that makes a movie interesting is having a challenge we're not totally sure the characters can win. At no point in this movie did a character once show honest doubt and therefore have to try their hardest

Wait for the next movie I guess
meitgol1Dec 23, 2015
To be honest, this is the first Star Wars movie I've ever seen. It was quite boring, and I fell asleep midway through this fiasco. Technology seemed old and not up to today's standards. Funky looking creatures that made no sense. StoryTo be honest, this is the first Star Wars movie I've ever seen. It was quite boring, and I fell asleep midway through this fiasco. Technology seemed old and not up to today's standards. Funky looking creatures that made no sense. Story line was weak, and I can tell there was hidden disappointment from the hard core fans after the movie was over. The lame attempt at humor didn't even garner a chuckle from me, but of course the hard core fans laughed. Not much thought was put into the design of the advanced space craft fighters, which were essentially a cylinder with an oversized disc on each end...Really?? Not very aerodynamic. Also, all the controls the pilots used to control these pieces of garbage were laughable at best! Essentially press a series of old fashioned looking buttons seems to make these things fly, shoot, make evasive maneuvers, etc. Prior to the movie starting, there was a preview of the new Star Trek movie, which even in preview looks far superior to this piece of crap. The Star Wars series should call it quits and just END IT! Expand
ElJibaroJan 2, 2016
Star Wars Ep VII is mostly a rip-off of Ep. IV. No originality or innovation. We saw more of the same plot devices used in the old movies and lacked the element of surprise. The characters have no chemistry, they are underdeveloped,Star Wars Ep VII is mostly a rip-off of Ep. IV. No originality or innovation. We saw more of the same plot devices used in the old movies and lacked the element of surprise. The characters have no chemistry, they are underdeveloped, superficial and does not captivate or connect with the audience. The new hero is a Mary Sue, the new villains are all weak and pathetic crybabies. This is basically a lazy cop out reboot with a SJW/PC agenda being sold as a new installment in the series. Worst episode of the series, thanks Jar Jar Abrams and Dark Lord of the Sith Disney for exploiting fans nostalgia. Expand
mbs6Jan 3, 2016
Plain awful. I went in with lowered expectations, hoping to be proven wrong. Well, I was proven wrong. It was worse than I was expecting! A few thoughts:

1) Poor story telling. Basically just a redo of A New Hope. No backstory

1) Poor story telling. Basically just a redo of A New Hope. No backstory provided in any sense.

2) This is a sequel to Episode 6? There is no connection to the events of Return of the Jedi at all. It's supposed to be 30 years later and yet they talk about it like it's ancient, mythological history.

3) Missing the Star Wars feel. It felt much more like a typical Hollywood movie than a Star Wars film. Nothing special about it other than the Star Wars brand. Violence was too edgy for a Star Wars movie.

4) Boring, undeveloped characters. We are supposed to love the characters because the director says so, not because we are provided any reason to root for them. No way can these new characters carry the franchise going forward. When the credits roll, we still know basically nothing about Rey, except that she is really awesome, has no flaws in her character, and is better at everything than everybody else in the film. Her character is over-the-top perfect. She can even fix and fly the Millenium Falcon better than Han Solo 15 minutes after climbing aboard, to say nothing of her 30 second mastery of mind tricks, or her instantly-acquired light saber skills.

5) Too many ridiculous coincidences. I can usually look past these, but in this movie they are the main plot device.

6) Ford, Fisher, Hamill awkwardly shoe-horned in. Harrison Ford is one of my favorite actors, but even he came across as going through the motions. The other two might as well not be in the movie. There's little connection between the old and new characters. No real passing of the torch.

7) Many plot-holes and inconsistencies. It doesn't play well with other, established facts of the Star Wars universe. They took it wherever they wanted to go.

Well, there's a lot more to dislike about this movie, but I'm out of breath. I won't be seeing any more of these in the theater.
SW7ISBADDec 23, 2015
Oh my, Oh God, Oh why....

Oh my, Oh God, Oh why....

Where do I begin with this mini review? As a Star Wars fan I have always loved the original movies and liked the prequels and appreciated the meaningful narrative that the saga told - to this day it is one of my favourite movie franchises. Having said that, this entry falls so flat and feels so empty that I nearly had a heart attack after seeing the hype and all-round positivity surrounding this picture.

While watching the movie many things became apparent. Firstly it moves at a breakneck speed and you eventually realise why, there is no story or character development whatsoever - its almost as if someone had a gun at the back of the directors head, forcing him to move quickly before people catch on to the shallowness and superficiality of SW7. Secondly because the movie is crammed and there is no room to breathe, all the happy coincidences that happen in the film stick out like a sore thumb and feel false; its true to say that there are coincidences in the previous installments but because there actually is a deep and meaningful story it doesn't hit you in the eye like a bolt of lightning but occurs seamlessly and works. Thirdly where was the score? We're talking John Williams the maestro here. I expect he himself had a stroke when he watched it and could only deliver a generic compilation that would be appropriate to the film. I could go on with my list of disappointments but can't be bothered ...zzz..zz..zz

In conclusion this is a Disney movie and in all honesty feels more like a Guardians of the Galaxy 2 rather than a genuine entry into the saga and thats the problem. Star Wars was never on the surface in terms of depth, it had poetry, a compelling spiritual battle, growing momentum that led ( for me ) to a satisfying and well paced conclusion. If you like your movies light hearted, fun, shallow and not too serious then this movie will be right up your alley. But if you're like me and you wanted to see and experience that deep, rich and meaningul story that connects with you and leaves you feeling transported to another galaxy - this is DEFINITELY NOT IT!
rederpDec 27, 2015
I like space battles. I like death-defying stunts and acrobatic choreographed combat scenes. I like action. I like cgi.

I like all these things but they need to support a somewhat engaging story and characters. Sadly, we get a rehash of

Sadly, we get a rehash of the same story we have seen before. The same plot lines with the same progression as before. It's paint-by-numbers star wars. You have seen it all before and it's missing the adventure movie magic in an immersive fantasy world.

The actors give good performances. Very good within filling the shoes of old characters recycled with a twist. Those boundaries quickly become obvious however undermining all their effort.

Disney/JJ Abrams have clearly banked a nostalgia filled cash-in on their purchase of the franchise. Their no-risk approach is well polished but ultimately forgettable.
BradcoDec 30, 2015
Can it really be that bad? Yeah, it really can be that bad, and it is. I couldn't believe that all of these negative reviews could possibly be accurate, especially the zeros, but after seeing it, I wish I could give it a negative number. TheCan it really be that bad? Yeah, it really can be that bad, and it is. I couldn't believe that all of these negative reviews could possibly be accurate, especially the zeros, but after seeing it, I wish I could give it a negative number. The movie isn't just bad, it's downright upsetting. Talk about going from a high to a low. I was expecting the beginning of a great new series of films. Instead, I got a clueless director doing nothing but clumsily reshooting older episodes. We've gone from one of the most imaginative filmmakers in cinema history to a director who apparently has no imagination whatsoever. And after expecting a wedding but getting a funeral, I will not be back in the theatre for the next burial. Expand
greenspaceJan 3, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was a mediocre story, and the way it was told was mediocre. It proposed a contrived continuity that was immediately doubtful along with a string of convenient coincidences that were so unbelievable they were confusing. While the look of the film went deep, the characters and their relationships did not. I wanted to be reunited with maturer, wiser friends, not shells of their former selves. I wanted to meet new characters in a renewed galaxy, not mere naive enthusiasm fast tracked through a fatalistic rehash. I wanted the film to draw me in and speak to my heart, like the original trilogy did, but instead I found myself a bystander unmoved by a spectacle “full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

I want to esteem J.J. Abrams and company as more creative and courageous than this, but that would make this release all the more baffling. After the revisionist Khan story of Star Trek: Into Darkness, which I enjoyed up until the role-reversing self-sacrifice scene, I was cautiously optimistic to hear Mr. Abrams had taken on the next Star Wars film. But while the alternate timeline of Into Darkness made sense in the context of the film that preceded it, the seemingly alternate timeline of The Force Awakens did not after the redemptive resolution of Return Of The Jedi.
Xan_RyilJan 11, 2016
Force Awakens is kind of movie which makes you miss James Cameron. The visionary director who actually understands the need and desire of the audience. Force Awaken even lacks the philosophy offered by original movie. It’s a product which isForce Awakens is kind of movie which makes you miss James Cameron. The visionary director who actually understands the need and desire of the audience. Force Awaken even lacks the philosophy offered by original movie. It’s a product which is made with only one intention, ‘Feed the hungry fans and cash the cow’.
Starting with the story, it was like watching A New Hope’s mesh up with Jurassic World. All elements of the Original movie were present. The Trio of young characters, the good turned bad antagonist and his relationship with the protagonist. Even the death star and some old stars were there. There absolutely is no real goal in the movie. We movie from securing the map to preparing the Jedi to destroying the death star. And story itself has holes big enough to swallow a galaxy which is far far away. It seems that in last 30 years only earth have progressed in technology and biological domain, the galaxy which was so advance 40 years ago, now seems be living the same. Like the original series, antagonists are not killed and neither the family of protagonist is revealed. I wonder if they have any idea about DNA and biology. Also it’s not clear that how come antagonist know a lot of technology. From a 30 years old spaceship to a newly built death star. She knows the right circuits to pull out. Characters seemed to be very distant throughout the movie. There absolutely was no chemistry between Han Solo and Princess/General Lea. Who unexpectedly is never mentioned to be from Jedi family. Although after recent success of female protagonist oriented film series, they did pass the torch to a girl.
Moving to visual effects and cinematography, perhaps the focus really was to add unnecessary and blunt action sequence. Much like prequels directed by George Lucas, colors were blurred and not so bright. There was no need to watch the movie in Imax or 3d, the worst a director can do to a 3d movie. J J Abrams really lacked a vision here. It is just like watching a 2d film.
Acting is okie, Although I did not understand some of the wits. Daisy Ridley is great in her role. She wore the role over and is the best thing in movie crossover. Harrison Ford is good and easy in his role. Carrie Fisher is alright. She did not have much to do that explains more than enough make up even at crucial times. John Boyega and Oscar Isaac played split up of Han Solo’s character with not much required jokes.
One goes with high expectation but returns very disappointed.
goatulaDec 22, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Once upon a time JJ Abrams wrote down his favorite original trilogy scenes on separate note cards. He spread the cards before him. Wow, he thought, these scenes are cool. Since I'm doing the first movie of the trilogy, I'll keep most of the notecards from A New Hope and discard the rest. However, I'll keep the Vader/Luke catwalk scene as people tend cite that as their favorite. I'll keep the ROTJ cards too, actually.

Ok, there's still a lot of scenes here. I'll keep the ones that I've seen referenced in popular culture the most, and discard the rest...no, wait, let's keep it all- I'll alter them just enough so as not to violate that contract we signed with George.

Hmm, the original cast is older now. 30 years have passed. Let's write out the ramifications of the original trilogy such that Han is still a smuggler, Leia is leading a resistance and Luke, well, he told me he can't jump anymore so we'll stash him on an island somewhere. The opening crawl will make the movie about him, though, because, you know, Luke. Luke has disappear, Leia Luke! Crawl complete.

Ok, I have unlimited freedom and creativity in this universe. I need a climactic space battle scene. What's something that's never been done before in this universe? Death Star! But mine, mine will be bigger. Planet-sized. That's big, and the original Death Star worked because it was big, right? Wait, if it's a planet, there won't be any space battles in the movie- good trade off though because big. Since the Vader/Luke catwalk scener- er I mean Han/Ren scene needs to happen, and we need force awakening, let's do a mashup ROTJ style as main character arcs are so 1970s. Ray will learn about the force by showing her concentrating and/or flashing back. They'll explain it in the next episode of Lost.

I guess I'm old school- I like character growth, originality, pacing and WONDER. These are created dynamically and with intent and priority, and won't emerge passively from a cut n paste hackjob.

I can go on for days about this farce, but I've seen others doing a good job. Glad I'm not alone.

3 stars, because some of the acting was nice. I'd rank it 5th in the series, above TPM and AOTC.
BoblogoJan 2, 2016
This film was exactly what I was afraid it was going to be, boring and 100% not Star Wars. I am very confident that in the fullness of time this will be recognised as the worst Star Wars film by a mile.

I cannot be bothered to list all of

I cannot be bothered to list all of the reasons why, all the other user reviews on here have done a good job already.
LukeLLDec 23, 2015
I'm so disappointed about this movie and can not understand how anyone give this episode a good rating.
Story from episode 4, bad actors, nothing new. JUST BAD!
DeathforceDec 21, 2015
Know that this is the first typed critique I have made of anything in my life. I feel it is my duty to not let Disney and Jar Jar Abrams get the best of all of us. I'm punching back.

This movie should've been titled The Force Went to

This movie should've been titled The Force Went to Sleep. It was a complete butchery of the potential I really thought the Star Wars franchise would have with the start of Episode VII. I've been a fan of the story since a child in the 80's. Never would I have imagined Episode VII would be worse than the prequels. I was wrong. Forgive me George Lucas. For all of your CGI insanity and lack of exploring the force deeper in the prequels in a more adult fashion like in IV, V, and VI, you still knew the importance of original storytelling. After seeing this new Star Wars, you and I are at least back on neutral ground.

Now I understand the whole 'history repeats itself premise' when it comes to life and perhaps even film, and I don't think per se that was a flawed undertaking to bring to this one; however, this movie was a rehash of events and scenes from the original three and spewed nothing but a lack of creative storytelling. All that time Lawrence Kasdan and JJ Abrams spent frolicking around Hollywood with a notepad coming up with story ideas while enjoying lattes on Santa Monica beach or wherever the hell they were was all for naught. Judging by the end result, they were not willing to take the leap into uncharted territory and take some risk which is exactly what was needed. Instead they decided to be cute thinking they would rehash events and scenes from the originals which they new all the fans fell in love with. Disney probably had to pay for an air purification crew to have around JJ and Lawrence on set as they were that used to smelling their own farts. There's a difference between history repeating itself through character conflict and a new generation and a difference in history repeating itself through the same plot.

The first twenty minutes of the film were decent, but it didn't take long after that for things to spiral downwards at hyperspeed. Characters and events were introduced at such a fast pace it felt like the writers and director were all on a nose candy bender starting on day one and ending up on some remote islands at the end with no idea what just happened. None of the characters have depth and nothing registers. It's just scene after spontaneous character appearance after scene after spontaneous character appearance and so on. An hour in and it really starts to dawn on you how bad it is. At that point it turned into a comedy for me up until the end. Unfortunately!

When Kylo Ren had that temper tantrum with the lightsaber like a boy after being grounded and loosing his video game privileges, I honestly just turned and said "did that just happen?". Well it did happen, and it's just plain weird. Even the stormtroopers seemed embarrassed. You'll know the scene when you see it. Not exactly representative of someone deserving of knowing and feeling the force whether it be the darkside or the light in my most humble fan-based opinion. Perhaps he grows up in the next episode.

Even the darkside in the original movies had some respect for the mystical nature of the universe and power they harnessed though for ultimately selfish reasons. This movie is missing that at both ends of the force. For me I think that is the biggest letdown.

I'm not going to spoil anything and won't say don't go and see it. All Star Wars fans obviously are going to. Anyone in touch with the force will realize this movie isn't. At least there's the originals and the great story they provided. Perhaps in another twenty years humanity will get some remakes of the prequels.

I changed my initial review from a 0 to a 2 after going to see it again just to make sure it was as bad as I thought it was the first time. I thought maybe it was just shock. Well bad it is, but there's some redemption though very little. I thought BB-8 had good personality. He's alright in my book. The stormtroopers know how to aim finally, and some of the ship designs looked cool - especially Kylo Ren's ship. I still have the utmost respect for Harrison Ford doing his best to make it back into character too.
Dreoh86Dec 28, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really like Star Wars, but this movie almost felt like a bad remake of A New Hope. Besides that, Kylo Ren is one of the worst villains I've ever seen. Why is he so weak? He was trained by Luke Skywalker and is quite easily defeated by Rey. How is that possible? Oh wait, he's an expert at throwing tantrums.
Then there is the First Order. I know that ODESSA supposedly was the inspiration for the First Order, but all they seem to be is a bunch of incompetent Space-Nazi-Wannabes. Don't they know how the first Death Star was destroyed? Why didn't they implement tougher security measures? ...
I just want some consistency.
Well, at least the actors did a good job, especially Adam Driver (it's not his fault Kylo Ren is such a poorly written character) and Harrison Ford.
I'll give the next movie a chance, but this one has far too many flaws.
SowceJan 17, 2016
I'm giving this a 0 because it's incomprehensible for this to get a 10. This is a fundamentally flawed movie. The writing is horrible. JJ absolutely was the worst director for this series. SO many unexplained plot points that make no sense.I'm giving this a 0 because it's incomprehensible for this to get a 10. This is a fundamentally flawed movie. The writing is horrible. JJ absolutely was the worst director for this series. SO many unexplained plot points that make no sense. This is an insult to the Star Wars franchise. It is so obvious this lacks George Lucas's creative vision. Expand
JBBuDec 26, 2015
This movie must be one of the most overrated films of the century. The acting is wooden, the humour misplaced and the action is clichéd time ten. The plot, if you can call it that, is a little more than a contrived re-make of the first StarThis movie must be one of the most overrated films of the century. The acting is wooden, the humour misplaced and the action is clichéd time ten. The plot, if you can call it that, is a little more than a contrived re-make of the first Star Wars but similar art production that made the first one so fun. Expand
DafuzzDec 24, 2015
If you thought Jar Jar Binks was bad, then just wait until you see what Jar Jar Abrams has in store for you.

First off, the writing is very poor and comes over like poorly written fan fiction. This movie lacks a real plot, character development, character chemistry and any logical connection between most scenes. The main villain isn't even menacing, he just feels like a hot-tempered cry baby who throws temper tantrums like a little brat. He even has problems fighting the weakest non-force sensitive characters in close combat because he suddenly forgets how to use his force powers thanks to the awful writing. All of the supporting characters, even returning ones, are extremely shallow. Only the main character and one very beloved returning character have anything redeemable about them, and the latter is only on screen for about 30 seconds.

The directing is also abysmal. There are just so many unflattering camera angles, poorly choreographed as well crudely visualised scenes and the pacing is simply awkward. Jar Jar Abrams never went to film school, and oh boy, his abysmal directing skills really show in this movie. The only thing that Jar Jar Abrams seems to have gotten right was copying the aesthetics of the Original Trilogy, although he completely fails at implementing it in a creative and artistic way to please the audience.

Only the final scene can bring any redemption to this trainwreck, but it is not enough to save it from being a bad film. If you only care about flashy lights shown in an awkward manner, then this is the film for you. Otherwise stay away. 3/10
battleTerrorDec 30, 2015
A poor film. JJ Abrams has brought his TV show sensibilities to a universe that demands the most cinematic treatment and crafted 2 hours of shallow, scrappy B movie buffed to a high shine with beautiful CG. If you've seen his Star Trek rebootA poor film. JJ Abrams has brought his TV show sensibilities to a universe that demands the most cinematic treatment and crafted 2 hours of shallow, scrappy B movie buffed to a high shine with beautiful CG. If you've seen his Star Trek reboot you know what to expect. Many of the problems with this film rest almost entirely upon his shoulders. The casting is just atrocious and one of the biggest weaknesses in this soul less and committee led cash cow. It has no ideas of its own and as others have said, plays like a remix of moments from the first trilogy. Credit is due to ILM and the talented artists and designers who have made this the best looking Star Wars movie to date but that's about the only good thing I can say about it. Expand
roycatDec 30, 2015
So bad it makes me appreciate Episode 1. It even makes me appreciate Prometheus. no, wait. No it doesn't. Read all the other bad reviews. They articulate the details pretty well. As the excitement of a "new" Star Wars wears off. More peopleSo bad it makes me appreciate Episode 1. It even makes me appreciate Prometheus. no, wait. No it doesn't. Read all the other bad reviews. They articulate the details pretty well. As the excitement of a "new" Star Wars wears off. More people will come forward, into the light, proclaiming their true feelings about this horrible film. Expand
InterceptorDec 29, 2015
Episode 7: The Forced Mistakes. There is no reason that this movie had to be this God-awful. How about having the courage to actually try to tell a new story? There was not a single risk taken in the entire film! It was nothing exceptEpisode 7: The Forced Mistakes. There is no reason that this movie had to be this God-awful. How about having the courage to actually try to tell a new story? There was not a single risk taken in the entire film! It was nothing except what worked in past films except for a few details here and there. The problem is, it doesn't work in this film because WE'VE ALREADY SEEN IT BEFORE! Give us what we were told was coming, a new episode. What complete cowards. Disgraceful. Expand
WanderManDec 29, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Serious Spoiler Warning: The new Star Wars is a tired, worn out imitation of itself. I am baffled by the good reviews. I used to love the original Star Wars, but this one is just a re-run of the EXACT SAME things we have already seen. This is the FOURTH giant, round space ship that got blown up. Count them, FOUR!!!!! I just don't care anymore!
More things that were the same as what we've already seen:
-Old villain was Luke's father, new villain is Han's son.
-Old villain killed old man hero/father figure Obi-wan, to show he was scary. New villain killed old man hero/father figure Han, to show he was scary.
-Old movie had important item hidden on droid, droid is sent to dessert planet, where it finds 2 unlikely heroes and Chewbacca, who fly millennium falcon to to giant round spaceship, then return droid to Rebellion. New movie, exact same thing, except returned the droid to "resistance" instead of "rebellion."
-Old movie, mysterious emperor guy who is black-helmet-villains' boss. Mysterious ruler has one military guy who commands giant round space ship, who he lets compete wi black helmet guy . New movie, exact same, right down to the military guy competing with helmet guy, it even LOOKS like the same mysterious emperor guy.
-Old movies, wise little green guy. New movies, wise little orange lady.
I could go on. It was the EXACT SAME frickin' movie! The originals were beloved because they were creative. The new movies are just a tired repeat of what we've already seen.
gregmaJan 2, 2016
Great acting and casting, great FX, decent directing, decent dialogue, but LAZY and TERRIBLE WRITING.

If I were into watching shallow Marvel-type movies, and had never before seen a Stars Wars movie, I would have given this an 8 or 9. BUT, it only deserves a 2 because I HAVE seen all the Star Wars movies, and expected quite a lot more. The Force Awakens is a shiny well-directed turd of a story.

It doesn't deserve a 0 because Daisy Ridley put in an amazing performance as Rey, and I'll give Abrams credit for focusing more on the characters and less on FX and fight sequences.

But it was a total disservice to Lucas and the Star Wars universe. The plot holes and lazy writing throughout were unforgivable. And the final third of this movie where it fell apart seemed like it had been written in a day, the entire sequence blowing up the death star was so anti-climatic, and actions seemed simply executed to carry out the plot (a gun to the head and Captain Phasma brings down the shields?!?!? At least Return of the Jedi wrote an interesting plot just for the shield). And although the dialogue was miles better than the prequels, I still cringed at a few parts (such as Poe and Kylo Ren..."Do you go first?"...horrendous) Other parts seemed to stick out like sore thumbs...did we really need a Nazi-like Hitler-like speech from General Hux? Is this the only way you can think of for us to hate him? Lazy writing.

I won't go into the details such as the terrible idea and execution of the Star Killer, or the death star 3.0 being blown up easier than a store full of fireworks, or Rey learning Jedi powers almost instantaneously (is this Xmen?) I can forgive Abrams and Disney for playing it safe and re-doing A New Hope, but at LEAST work on the plot and writing details a bit more?!?!

It's not like there aren't talented writers in Hollywood, so it is obvious that Disney sees Star Wars as a simple money ticket for their merchandising and theme parks, and could care less about making a masterpiece. At least Lucas tried with his prequels, but made the mistake in thinking he could direct and write dialogue. The fanboys out there are rationalizing every hole in the plot, I've even heard that Rey was a master Jedi, and has had her memory erased!? When you have to rationalize excuses for a bad story telling, you have a bad story telling!!!!

In the end, I feel quite stupid that I thought Disney would care about trying to outdo the original trilogy. Lucas will soon move on, and we need to also move on. Star Wars, I knew thee well.
insert_hereDec 28, 2015
This movie fails in everyway possible. To echo one if the critic reviews: been there done that. There is simply no purpose for the movie. Poor writing. Poor acting. Dumb story line. 80's special effects and computer graphics that may haveThis movie fails in everyway possible. To echo one if the critic reviews: been there done that. There is simply no purpose for the movie. Poor writing. Poor acting. Dumb story line. 80's special effects and computer graphics that may have worked in the 80's but doesn't work anymore. Expand
kk84Dec 29, 2015
Dont get me wrong its not bad but its way too overrated this movie! really dont get the hype after watched the movie but the world is full of nerds so their you have it!
LevelheadedJan 3, 2016
Oh George our father who dwell in creative genius, was the sin of your followers questioning the prequels so atrocious that you would abandon your loyal followers to these heathens? (Disney and Jar Jar Abrams)

I never submitted to the

I never submitted to the whole history is cyclical theory and even if it was, its because human nature is intrinsically consonant leading to similar human conflicts developing over time. NOT because we ripoff the past (episodes 4 - 6), repackage it and present it to audiences believing they are that dense they cannot notice the blatant knockoff before them that is Episode 7.

Immensely disappointed! The Force has not Awakened, it has been laid to rest in a grand $200 million dollar sendoff. With its kinsmen being charged $12 per person to pay their respects to the hollow shell that now stands in the place of the once rich universe that captured the imagination of millions around the world, and taught an entire generation to linger their eyes upon the stars, and wonder.
SyFy4LyfeDec 28, 2015
I am still in disbelief at how many things this film gets wrong. The force is cheapened and the struggles of our beloved original heroes so long ago are invalidated. Character development is non-existent. The story offers nothing originalI am still in disbelief at how many things this film gets wrong. The force is cheapened and the struggles of our beloved original heroes so long ago are invalidated. Character development is non-existent. The story offers nothing original and the plot holes are aplenty. It is beyond me how so many people can give this movie a 9 or 10. Those are not critical reviews by any means. The real critics you will find here, in the red. We are not "trolls"; we are very dedicated, concerned Star Wars Fans whom have just collectively witnessed an atrocity and feel the need to voice our dismay. Expand
depoJan 19, 2016
Star Wars is about Jedi magic. That's the only way to explain its acclaimed success.
Critics and viewers consent was created by Walt Disney Company's Jedi abilities. Or eventually bought by the billions they spend on every single media channel worldwide to advertise their products.

The whole movie is a joke. There is NO ONE SINGLE ORIGINAL IDEA in the plot or the screenplay.
While watching it I could not decide if it was a sequel or a remake of the original saga mixed with teen drama. Actors are bad, dim, childish with the only exception of the young girl.
Nostalgia quickly leaves place to eternal boredom
It's a colossal (yes) eye-candy. So disappointing, even worst than Lucasfilms prequel trilogy. And I don't understand why....they had all the budget to make something memorable, but failed. Just exiting the cinema, the wind wipes away all of it.
J.J. Abrahams you've been warned! One more fiasco and you're off my list of favorite directors.
vicarianceDec 23, 2015
I thought the new characters were portrayed by the actors as well as the writers would allow, and therein lies the issue with this movie. It bottlenecks with the writing. Rife with plot holes often interpreted as teasers for VIII and IX orI thought the new characters were portrayed by the actors as well as the writers would allow, and therein lies the issue with this movie. It bottlenecks with the writing. Rife with plot holes often interpreted as teasers for VIII and IX or references to comics, books and other media, which no one should have to purchase in addition to get the entire story.

TFA was a simulacrum of a Star Wars movie, a two hour advertisement for merchandise and satellite media driven by the in-situ nostalgia of the boomers/X-ers and the generation-defining nostalgia of millenials: for the sake of authenticity, the desire for the "I was there" experiences for an age that never was.

Everyone rating this movie average and below has covered the bases. It's another bathtub fantasy on the silver screen, a wish-granting romp through daddy's things.
GucciBalboaDec 27, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In Empire Strikes Back, Luke's lightsaber is gone for good when it falls on Cloud City.

How the **** did that orange **** retrieve it? That seems like an impossible task. And even if they did somehow manage to find it, how did they know it was Luke's?
Rah11Dec 22, 2015
Disney suck, this is the worse Star Wars movie ever, when the new generation will realize what it is the force ,they will know of what I am talking about, Disney and Ja Jar Abrams kill the star wars franchise, there is no way back after thisDisney suck, this is the worse Star Wars movie ever, when the new generation will realize what it is the force ,they will know of what I am talking about, Disney and Ja Jar Abrams kill the star wars franchise, there is no way back after this movie, It is a shame to waste such a big movie like Star Wars. Expand
TereskDec 26, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 1. If your plans for the conquest of the galaxy twice failed, do not worry. You just have to build a new battle station, but even larger. The third time you certainly succeed.
2. A talented engineer, a pilot from God, a stalker, a self-taught Jedi mastered in half an hour more than Luke in the whole trilogy, modest, beautiful, sympathetic...Strange only that her name is Ray, and not Mary Sue.
3. All the giant battle stations have special rooms made to the inside could fly a fighter plane and destroy it from within.
4. If, in the distant, distant galaxy using e-mail, Skype or some other data exchange system, the film would be reduced to about five minutes.
5. In a difficult situation, when you run away from the attack aircraft and fighters do not worry - there will always be nearby unprotected "Millennium Falcon" just waiting to be stolen.
6. Under the stormtrooper armor can hide thin and vulnerable person who realizes that he is not a murderer, and leave the evil order.( He will have to kill a bunch of their colleagues - but if they are evil, then obviously it is not considered murder.)
7.Skywalker children always disappoint their parents. Genetics, not otherwise.
8.You like young Anakin from the prequel trilogy? Then the good news you enjoy Kylo Ren even more.
9.If one of the characters in the film said at the right moment, "I'm not your father," All probably would have turned out the same way. But at least it would be funny.

And finally...
10.If you want to continue the "Star Wars", but do not know how - it does not matter. Just copy the plot of the most popular movie in the saga. No one will even notice the difference.
weldenjonJan 3, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am shocked at seeing all the 10s given by user critics here. Not surprised by the high marks given by the critic reviewers though since many of them are no doubt in league with Disney. But seriously, there is so much wrong with this movie that even the beginning of the movie is a mess. Here is my review of only the first 15 minutes or so of the film: (it only went downhill from there IMHO).

During the attack on Lor San Tekka's village Kylo decides to take Poe Dameron captive to learn what he did with the information he was given by Lor San Tekka. I have several questions at this point in the script the writers obviously ignored or just didnt think about:

1. If Kylo has such a command of the force which enables him to read minds then why didnt he also take Lor San into custody as well and read his mind before cutting him assunder with his nifty claymore style light sabre??? Seems like a pretty valuable and huge opportunity that a smarter sith lord in training or smarter writer wouldn't have missed!

2. When Kylo asked some of the Storm Troopers to search Poe's X-wing why didn't he ask them if a droid was on the ship? I would think by now the Empire/First Order would know that the Rebels/Resistance use droids for navigation and in flight repairs on their fighters. I am pretty sure a smarter sith lord in training or writer would have not missed this observation!

3.Why didnt the Storm Troopers notice droid tracts leading away from the X-wing...tracks that even a Storm Trooper should be able to follow? Considering how fast BB-8 was shown to move in the film the Storm Troopers could have brought back the droid in plenty of time for Kylo to place Poe in front of his own blaster shot force hanging in mid air and then release said blaster shot into Poe. Now wouldnt that have been a sight - Poe ends up blasting himself with his own weapon in front of all the villagers. A smarter sith lord in training or writer would have done this and then let the rest of the villagers live just to tell the story of how "bad ass" he is!

I am not even a writer but i feel my scenario is far better than JJ Abrams version and I am only minutes into the film. However, this is the first of many many plot holes through out the film with so many I am beyond supprised it made it into production.

If the next film is no better I am going to write off Star Wars movies for good and stick to shows like 'Game of Thrones' where the writing though not perfect is "parsecs" ahead.
EyockeyDec 26, 2015
Abrams is has come to claim another franchise; between the sloppy story transitions and being a crummy scene for scene remake of the original Star Wars. The characters hurtle through the story and if dumb luck(a.k.a. the Force) didn't haveAbrams is has come to claim another franchise; between the sloppy story transitions and being a crummy scene for scene remake of the original Star Wars. The characters hurtle through the story and if dumb luck(a.k.a. the Force) didn't have some special plan the protagonists this would be unbelievable. This lacks any originality or rewatchability, highlighting the sad state of our cinemas. The War is over; Abrams killed it. Expand
vagmanDec 30, 2015
I give it a 2, thought you can say its a 5, but after all the hype and amazing reviews this movie got from all critics around the world for me it was as much as disappointment episode 1 was.To be fair its not as near bad,its a nice movie toI give it a 2, thought you can say its a 5, but after all the hype and amazing reviews this movie got from all critics around the world for me it was as much as disappointment episode 1 was.To be fair its not as near bad,its a nice movie to watch home, not one to wait years in the making and standing in tha line for.I get that they didnt want to have an episode 1 fiasko all over again so they played safe as far as script but what you get is a first 3 movies best ofcollection.Lets be honest, first movie is propably one of the most if not the most influential movie of the last 50 years but generally the whole series is to overated. Expand
jjabramssucksJan 6, 2016
This movie lacks any of the originality or even the basic identity of the Star Wars movies in the past. Bland generic film making and an even more generic plot easily sets Episode VII apart as the worst movie of the saga. This may come as aThis movie lacks any of the originality or even the basic identity of the Star Wars movies in the past. Bland generic film making and an even more generic plot easily sets Episode VII apart as the worst movie of the saga. This may come as a surprise to many, since the special effects are great and the actors actually do a pretty good job, however the characters are so bland and uninteresting that it all seems like a big waste. What's even worse than this movie's recycled plot and countless plot holes, is the way it portrays the old characters: Han, Leia and Luke. Han and Leia are basically losers who failed as parents, and Luke is a coward who has gone into hiding and abandoned his friends. This movie is a joke and a blatant cash grab by Disney. Expand
istvanstJan 8, 2016
One of the worst movies ever seen. If it wouldn`t be a Star Wars movie it would be trashed. It`s a total remake of the first original movie. Even the dialogues seem to be the same. Father-son-daughter story (guess she is Lukes daughter). NoOne of the worst movies ever seen. If it wouldn`t be a Star Wars movie it would be trashed. It`s a total remake of the first original movie. Even the dialogues seem to be the same. Father-son-daughter story (guess she is Lukes daughter). No twist in the story at all, everything straight forward and extremely boring and predictable.
They could have made anything. Something brave, unexpected. But this was such a waste of money.
jamesw14Jan 8, 2016
One the worst Star Wars movie I've seen to date, I was very excited before going to cinema and couldn't wait to see it, I'd expected more and what I've been shown is beyond joke you might as well just go and watch The New Hope and watch theOne the worst Star Wars movie I've seen to date, I was very excited before going to cinema and couldn't wait to see it, I'd expected more and what I've been shown is beyond joke you might as well just go and watch The New Hope and watch the old Saga and prequels. For everyone who are new to the star wars it may be their first taste of star wars but for those who watched the previous films and know the lore this film is garbage, I am predicting the next film will follow the Empire Strikes Back and be same film again but different timeline. WHY???? SO MUCH WRONG WITH THE MOVIE ITS UNBELIEVABLE. Expand
pessimist93Jan 2, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film was a giant kick into the crotch of all Star Wars Fans who were looking forward for something new and good from one our of favorite galaxies.
Instead we got a overhyped mess of a movie. That they didnt folow the storyline in the books was totaly fine. But they got almost everything else wrong which could go wrong.

1. First of all this film is full of plot and logicholes. Just a few examples:
Finn is shocked by the brutality of the empire and refuses to shoot innocent civilians. But only moments later he obviously doesnt have any problem with slaughtering his comrades and friends. Yeah good job you hypocrite.

Where the hell did the new order get the ressources to build Death Star number 3? And obviously they must have run out of money because there are no alarms or surveillance on the station when Han and his Crew boarded it.
Oh and this time they didnt made the exhaust shaft torpedo or Millenium Falcon sized but this doesnt stop the rebels from blowing a hole into the outer wall and fly in. Must be these damn budget cuts again....

Something bad happens the first time Han Solo doesnt shoot first

2. The Setting
Lonely Droid rolling alone on some desert planet looking for someone who he can give some important information?
Young scrap collector on the mentioned desert planet who is going to be the chosen one?
A Bunch of X-Wings attacking a oversized battle station and destroying it?
The generator room with the long slim bridge which almost looks the same like the one on Bespin?
Now if you think that Disney has been recycling the best scenes from the previous parts you are basically right. Its nothing new. They just polished it a bit up, renamed it and presented it as something fresh.
On top of that its filled with Disney **** and cliches:
First Order = Space Nazis, only thing that was missing were officers shouting "Heil Snoke"
Ive met you not even 3h ago and you are already the most important person in my life even tough I know **** about you.
That guy doesnt know ho to handle a lightsaber but instead of shooting him I throw my rifle away and beat him up with a space police baton.
My spine just go ripped apart by a lightsaber but the plotarmor protects me.
The Villain just got his throat slashed by a lightsaber but still survives it with a scratch.

3. Characters
This is by far the weakest point of the movie. Many of the characters look like they dont want to be in this film.
The Stormtroopers are even more stupid than in the films before. They seemed to have dumped all Commando structures and weapons systems exept the blasters. Its like the gave their soldiers a gun and a armor and sent them into battle with no training what so ever. And most of them were so surprised that they actually hit something at the begin of the film that they forgot how to aim at the end of the film.

Han, Chewie, BB8, Leia and Poe were great you gotta credit the for that.

The others however were in a complete worse league.

Here we have Kylo Ren who is acting like he just became a Sith to piss of his parents and because its cool. And because he isnt villain enough Disney gave him his mask as fashion statement and not as something life important.
Seriously it would have been better with everyone else as Sith, even Jaja **** Bings

Fynn is a hypocrite who doesnt actually know what he is doing around here. He just mindlessly follow the others.

Rey ist some kind of immortal main character who is lvl 99 by default and got more skill than a trained Sith knight even tough she had absolutely no training.

Random pilots who dies at the attack and for which the viewers are supposed to feel sorry. Too bad it didnt work since everyone of them got less than 60 sec screentime together.

Seriously, if you liked the feeling from the old Star Wars movies you should really consider to stay away from this one. It looks like a recycling product with some new paint and hastly written characters and basically is a single huge letdown.
hrottiusDec 23, 2015
Really disappointing experience! Watched the original trilogy as a teenager and this was a bad remake of the first movie, but also parts taken from second and third movie. I don't understand the professional critics, how can they rate thisReally disappointing experience! Watched the original trilogy as a teenager and this was a bad remake of the first movie, but also parts taken from second and third movie. I don't understand the professional critics, how can they rate this movie so high?

Short list of the worst parts:

- No originality, very predictable.
- When certain character was killed, it was so predictable, I saw it coming miles away.
- Very little character development compared to the original movies.
- The Force is a joke now! Super-Girl Rey learns mind tricks and lightsaber duels a trained Sith without training.
- Third death-star with the same design flaws as previous two; what a joke!

This movie was terrible and I predict people will start to hate it really fast.

Overrated!!!
dabalog007Dec 26, 2015
Upon seeing the force awakens I tried to think of something I liked in the film. I couldn't. I'm not being facetious when I say this I literally couldn't find one thing I liked about this film. It was an unoriginal rehash of episodes 4 & 5.Upon seeing the force awakens I tried to think of something I liked in the film. I couldn't. I'm not being facetious when I say this I literally couldn't find one thing I liked about this film. It was an unoriginal rehash of episodes 4 & 5. Besides the repackaged plot all the characters were cringeworthy especially rey and fin. All rey was was the chick from the hunger games except with a light saber. Apparently rey is good at everything and i mean everything, to a point where as a viewer you say,"ok I get it shes talented. Give it a rest." Listen I don't have a problem with a woman as the main lead but it seemed like disney was shoving it down the audience's throat that she was a strong,independent, capable woman. Plus daisy ridley was a total miscast. You're telling me that a girl that looks and sounds like her grew up on a poverty stricken dessert planet. Yeah ok. They should have cast someone more like sigourney weaver who is strong without being annoying. As for fin I thought from the trailers that he was going to be this badass, disciplined character who is scarred by the past. Yeah he was a badass minus the bad. All he did the whole movie was crack stupid jokes and played more of a jar jar binks role. It doesn't make sense to have a character trained from birth to be a soldier be so flamboyant. Apparently all the soldiers do all day is crack jokes because he was sure telling a lot of them. Bb-8 was useless and clearly marketed for the kids. Ren was an emo cry baby that looked like he belonged in a tim burton movie. And a third death star? No wait this was a mega death star that could blow up 5 planets! Whoa! I guess when it comes to death stars third times the charm. Overall the didn't feel like star wars. It didn't have that star wars vibe to it. It felt more like a **** sci fi movie (kind of looked fan made) with some star wars set pieces. And it hurts me to say this but the prequels were better than FA and i highly dislike those films. Disney made safe film that paid excessive homage to the original trilogy without being creative or original themselves but hey I guess its all about $$$. Oh and what was with that weird staring contest at the end of the movie? Weird Expand
Spike21Jan 1, 2016
I gave this movie a 0 because it pretends to be a new Star Wars film, which is not. As a mindless fantasy action flick however it is probably a 6.

The movie basically plays it so safe that it is hard to consider it as anything else other than a rip off of A New Hope with some cameos that make it almost feel like a parody of itself.

Lame humor most of the time
Action sequences after action sequences just for the sake of having action sequences
Hardly any build-up or tension about anything going on
Almost no character development
No rewatchability factor
No memorable lines to quote
All the villains in this movie suck, I found none of them menacing
The hero of the movie is just so good at everything that you cannot worry about her about anything
Some things are just so repetitive and stupid, but I cannot spoil them.. but, seriously, enough already
For some reason we have "the Resistance" when a New Republic was formed after ROTJ

Anyway, the movie is not a terrible way to spend 2 hours, but I hate the fact that everything has now become about marketing and hype when the films themselves are mediocre at best.

The prequels can be laughable at times, but they tell a story, and also have some memorable scenes, which brings me to the last complaint: something like Duel of the Fates in Force Awakens? literally, NON-EXISTENT SCORE!
RoyStephen4Jan 10, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Wow, JJ nailed it! This really feels like Star Wars!"
Just the tip of the iceberg: Scottish death gang and Asian thugs called... Kanjiklub??? Tentacled monsters (god-awful CGI) chasing them through corridors as if in a cheap Alien3-ripoff? Stormtrooper dropping his blaster to fight an ex-janitor with a... baton? A planet that sucks out the power of its sun (!) to fire through... hyperspace??? Resistance pilot cracking jokes when kneeling half-paralyzed before a (supposedly) evil lord ("You talk first? I talk first?")??? Emo brat in homemade Halloween Vader-costume (speaking through a bucket, apparently) smashing through his own ship with a homemade medieval flamesword??? The Falcon coming out of hyperspace ONTO the surface of a planet??? "Boyfriend, cute boyfriend"??? "Mr Solo?" Circling helicopter shot of Luke standing on an Irish island with a "Zoolander Blue Steel" gaze???
Seriously, people, what the hell were you smoking?
I don't know what it is, but sure is NOT Star Wars.
XRaDiiXJan 6, 2016
The Force Awakens is a complete train wreck the first 10 minutes was alright but the rest of the movie felt as is there wasn't even a world they were exploring JJ Abrhams vision is so shallo he couldn't see out of a kiddie pool at the localThe Force Awakens is a complete train wreck the first 10 minutes was alright but the rest of the movie felt as is there wasn't even a world they were exploring JJ Abrhams vision is so shallo he couldn't see out of a kiddie pool at the local park every element in the movie was bland from the worlds they visited to the hap hazard music score. The part that struck me as infantile was when Oscar isaac in the first 5 mins of the movie spurts out an obnoxious line of so you talk first or I talk first or what after what just appeared to be an entire village being massacered. This movie doesn't even hold a candle to the other 6 Star Wars movies and its a complete travesty such s film was even created it felt like the entire movie was pacing along at a pace so fast that there was no time to discuss what was actually happening no meaningful dialogue that explained any progress or what was transgressing. It was a movie that was on par with Michael bays sequel transformers movies brain dead explosions and action everywhere with no meaningful story or character development an infantile babble bumbling disaster. Expand
Achatius1Jan 7, 2016
Very,very disappointed. This new part is a joke and just another money grab. Typical example of greed. Without the old characters this movie would be just another boom-crash-bang empty Hollywood crap. It's sad and unbelievable that peopleVery,very disappointed. This new part is a joke and just another money grab. Typical example of greed. Without the old characters this movie would be just another boom-crash-bang empty Hollywood crap. It's sad and unbelievable that people think this is a good movie. The new characters are simply boring and another few years no-one will remember them. The only character who is worth something is Rey. But still, nothing compared to Solo or any other old character. The story is weak full of with logical holes, and some of the scenes are pathetic. Like the scene where Rey and the new bad guy fighting. Just simply bad. No wonder they poured it down the worlds throat with advertising. Empty, badly done except for the cgi, perfect for the brainwashed... Expand
Tony27nineDec 29, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dull, dull, dull.....
The showing my wife and I went to was around 10% full and mostly with people in their 40's and 50's. This told me a lot. Seeing the show was an act of nostalgia for those that were literally blown away by what we're cutting edge effects in their time.
What Disney have done is dishonest...

Plot....
Some important info is hidden by a fleeing rebel in a droid. The baddies are sent to recover said droid. The baddies have a chuffing big round thing with a massive gun on it that can destroy planets. They use it to destroy some planets which upsets everyone. The rebels need to destroy said round thing which involves someone getting inside, disabling the shields and allowing a load of X-wings to target the vulnerable bit. Which they do. And it blows up. And everyone is happy.
Sound familiar.......?

They didn't even try to hide their shameless plagiarism. Right down to an X-Wing or two flying down a heavily defended channel to deliver the fateful blow, a bar scene with a bunch of very odd looking aliens that all go quiet when the main characters enter, a face off between father and son ( yes, you got it... On a very large, narrow bridge thingy), I could go on.....

It's the very first one all over again but with a bit more advanced cgi.
Regurgitate a formula, hype it up, make a squillion.
Embarrassing that I fell for it.

Glad I bought the large popcorn bucket because counting it gave me something to do whilst all the noise and shooting was going on.
AnaxamanderDec 24, 2015
The story was a steaming pile of implausible conveniences.
but it looked great, except the calamari and pancake face somehow looked more plastic than they did in the previous movies.
milanesexcasoDec 25, 2015
If you are fans of Star Wars, stand clear of this movie. It is nothing but a remake of Star Wars IV for Twilight fans. Let's stop J.J. Abrams before it is too late!
GoloithDec 26, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly. I seriously cannot believe how paid-off these critics are. Anyone who even has a shred of intelligence that has seen the other movies knows how bad this film was. Not only that, but there is simply some BIG mistakes in the plot. My issues:
(1) How many death star/planets is there going to be? I guess we're going to see 2-3 more I suppose......
(2) Why would someone like Captain Phasma just hand willing lower the shields.....I mean someone who would be in her position had to be ruthless to get there and would die or even trick Han Solo and Finn before lowering those shields.
(3) How in the world did Rey defeat Kylo Ren? Ok I get it that Rey is the main character and shouldn't die, but the first movie should have established the next set of movies by Rey fleeing from Kylo who's simply cannot pursue Rey because of setback to the Empire
(4) Leia loses the love of her life and her son (emotionall speaking). Leia should have dropped to the ground on her knees and cried out in sorrow, much like Luke does when he finds out Vader is his father. This was practically emotionaless.

How any critic can ignore the 4 above problems is just mind boggling. Honestly, Meta-Critic should just get rid of Critic reviews since their such **** these days.
schizotypal67Jan 4, 2016
Very rehashed plot. Almost identical to episode 4. Acting was uninspired. Light saber fights boring. Easily the worst Star Wars movie of the series. I truly hope that the franchise improves in parts 8 and 9. It would be a shame for Star WarsVery rehashed plot. Almost identical to episode 4. Acting was uninspired. Light saber fights boring. Easily the worst Star Wars movie of the series. I truly hope that the franchise improves in parts 8 and 9. It would be a shame for Star Wars to end with this piece of dung. Expand
duremifiedDec 30, 2015
another jj total failure, he ruins star trek he ruin also star wars. Mediocre and lame movie. The characters seem chosen random on the road, the bad guy looks like a sociopath with anger management issues and the whole story is a reboot ofanother jj total failure, he ruins star trek he ruin also star wars. Mediocre and lame movie. The characters seem chosen random on the road, the bad guy looks like a sociopath with anger management issues and the whole story is a reboot of the first film: a robot must deliver something, the chars defend the robot and blah blah blah. A copy and paste from episone 4 a total shame. Expand
DruidshampooDec 21, 2015
This movie is a remake disguised as a sequel. Bad guy in a mask, worse guy with a hood and and old wrinkly face, and a general with a British accent and a crisp uniform. Good guy (girl) from a desert planet who dreams of exploring theThis movie is a remake disguised as a sequel. Bad guy in a mask, worse guy with a hood and and old wrinkly face, and a general with a British accent and a crisp uniform. Good guy (girl) from a desert planet who dreams of exploring the galaxy. The good guys and the bad guys are related to each other. Death star type weapon that could destroy the universe, hastily planned assault by rebel pilots in orange jumpsuits.

I challenge anyone reading this to give me a good one liner from this movie that comes close to anything that the emperor said to luke in return of the jedi. Yes, the dialog in episodes 4-6 left something to be desired at times, but it was memorable. I felt nothing watching this movie. And I did not go into it expecting to hate it.
ManFaceDec 30, 2015
I feel that this movie is just a derivative remake of Episode 4: A new hope.

I feel that this movie is just a derivative remake of Episode 4: A new hope.

This might be forgivable, but It is filled with absurd coincidences throughout the movie just to drive the plot forward. Granted you can say that the force is the driving force behind these coincidences, but the movie relies far too heavily on them. It is such a problem that it removes much of the beliveability from the movie. This then resulted in myself feeling particularly removed and uninterested in any of the actions of the characters, which then in turn resulted in a rather boring movie going experience.
SleightofHamDec 27, 2015
Save your money, the memory, and your pants.

Save your money, the memory, and your pants.

This movie was so atrocious I just **** my pants in disbelief. I say this as a movie lover, as a Star Wars fan, and as someone who paid the price of admission. I’ve never posted a movie review before today but felt compelled as I simply cannot fathom how this movie is receiving the positive critic ratings it has and continues to receive. I suspect it helps when you have Disney’s pockets and media delivery machine.

As a movie lover, the film had virtually no character development. You don’t care if the characters live or die because you know next to nothing about them. The relationships constructed between the characters over the course of the movie don’t feel real or believable. Oddly this applies equally to original trilogy characters as well as to new faces. The plot was propelled forward at ludicrous speed and by the occasional awkwardly-delivered explanation, dropped with the subtlety of a fat pink giraffe by one of the characters. The audience was entitled to and denied a deeper understanding of characters and events in this movie as it comes as the first installment after the original trilogy. In short you were left with an EPIC sense of… meh. On the upside, the CGI was beautifully done and the new robot was moderately endearing.

The biggest failing for this film, despite it largely coming off as a remake of episode 4, was that it didn’t feel like Star Wars. It was a Frankenstein monster whose parts were sourced from other Star Wars movies (primarily A New Hope). IT. HAD. NO. SOUL. With a universe as expansive as Star Wars and a franchise so beloved, you would think at least modest creative risks would be taken to further the story or to transport the audience to new and exotic worlds. Say what you will about episodes 1-3, but the worlds in those prequels at least felt immersive and novel. While viewing TFA I actually heard the person seated next to me mutter, “I didn’t realize this was supposed to be a remake…”. CHEERS TO THAT, BUDDY!

If you haven’t seen the original Star Wars films you have a shot at enjoying this film, but as someone who loved the original three movies, even the subsequent prequels, I call BS as I **** my pants all over again in frustration. Spoiler alert: It pales in comparison to the dump Disney just took on the Star Wars franchise.
HelenHDec 28, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To see this movie once is more than enough. It lacks both the originality of previous episodes and the carefree fun of the 2008 Clone Wars series. And some of the situations are simply not credible.

***SOME SPOILERS AHEAD***

Hm... We have captured an X-Wing pilot. He doesn't have the plans we are looking for anymore, because he hid them somewhere (and we know that for fact). We can see his X-Wing and there is no droid around. Where are the plans? Let's go and torture the pilot on our base, because leaving someone behind looking for the missing droid would require too much brain activity.

We are on a Star Destroyer and steal a TIE. And we have almost no problem getting out except for a cable that ties the TIE to the wall? Seriously, why aren't there shields protecting the entrance to the hangar? Or anyone can fly in and out as they fancy?

A stormtrooper is able to defend himself for several minutes against half-trained ex-Jedi in a lightsaber duel (OK, I know he lost in the end, but still). Why didn't the said ex-Jedi just use the Force and just snap his neck, slam him into a tree, or anything? I guess the Force is not so strong in this family, the intelligence most certainly isn't.

And so on and so on.

All in all, it's not a very good rehash of the previous movies with several flaws in logic.
Raph75Dec 30, 2015
So, like many before me I did not believe the well-written and thoughtful negative reviews and I went to see the movie. I mean it is a 200 million JJ Abrams movie and I like JJ Abrams. How bad can it be? It turns out it can be pretty bad. AndSo, like many before me I did not believe the well-written and thoughtful negative reviews and I went to see the movie. I mean it is a 200 million JJ Abrams movie and I like JJ Abrams. How bad can it be? It turns out it can be pretty bad. And it is not JJs fault. JJ Abrams has strengths and he has weaknesses. His strengths are an ability to create intense, memorable, R-rated characters, full of flare and fun to watch. His main weakness is his willingness to sacrifice the strength of the plot for the bigger bang.

So what happens when JJ Abrams meets Disney executives, the manufacturers of the wholesome family entertainment? The answer is you get all of the JJs weaknesses while he is obviously forbidden from using any of his strengths. You should never forget that Disney execs are the brain trust that hated Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow and only Depp's "star power" forced them to acquiesce.

So what you get is an impossibly bland version of Star Wars universe, shot the same way all of Disney's TV movies for preschoolers are shot. The movie was carefully sanitized to extract any content that a 5-7 years old may find traumatic according to the most modern definitions of what a 5-7 years old finds traumatic (everything). Every scene of the movie you can see that the force grip executed by Darth Disney on JJ Abrams' throat was a powerful one and his leash was very short. Death, grief, fear, evil, romantic desire: all are removed or downplayed to the level of the core definition of "wholesome family entertainment".

My wife who is not a Star Wars fan but likes action and sci-fi and simply takes every movie as a stand-alone story gave it 3/10. She said it was basically another Disney Channel movie she would watch on TV with our kid. For me, as a Star Wars fan this movie was a bitter disappointment. 0/10. The thing is it could be a substantially better movie even with the same script (very minor changes) and the same director and the same actors, if they were ever allowed to cross the boundaries of a de-facto PG rating.

You can read other reviews for blow-by-blow details of what makes this movie so bad (those stories, they are all true), but at its core it is caused simply by Disney being Disney and JJ Abrams being only half of JJ Abrams - per Disney requirements.
anichelsJan 1, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Star Wars: The Force Awakens sucks big time. Probably the worst SW movie made.

It starts off very strongly they introduce great new characters like Rey, Poe, and BB8 pretty early on. Kylo Ren comes out of his ship, looks like a total badass - stops a blaster shot in mid-air. - At this point, I'm totally buying into the movie.

Within the next 1/2 hour, I quickly got annoyed by the extremely **** writing and bad story-telling.
- We are led to believe that the First Order is this neo-Nazi totalitarian equivalent, we see it right in the beginning by their ruthless killing of a seemingly innocent village. I thought that it is crappy writing, since I cannot empathize at all with the motives of the villains. It's J.J's crappy way of showing us who the "bad" guys are.
- Then a bunch of ridiculous coincidences happen, Finn, BB-8 and Rey unite and form some kind of trio. More coincidences happen, and they meet up with Han Solo and Chewbacca. During this entire time, Rey can do absolutely no wrong, apparently she's a super genius who knows how to pilot, fix circuitry, fight with a light saber, she can use the Jedi Mind Trick - most on her first attempts ever, with no training.

Remember that badass Sith Apprentice who stopped a blaster bolt in mid-air, well he had a light saber fight with a space janitor, who was able to somehow tag him on the shoulder. And then afterwards, got over powered by a girl who had not used a light saber in at least 10 years (we don't know if she was part of Luke's Jedi school).

I'm all for strong female characters, but this movie was such ****
And Captain Phasma sucks too, looks like Boba Fett but has no backbone. - She nicely represents the whole theme of the movie: Hype + Visuals; but actually sucks.

This is completely leaving out the massive plot holes
- The rebels won in Episode 6, Return of the Jedi - Why is the galactic setting the same as A New Hope?
- How does the First Order (Who LOST in Episode 6) - build a super massive Death Star 3.0, where did they find the time and resources to build it? Nobody in the Republic knew it was being built?
- How does Kylo Ren, son of Han Solo and Leia, nephew of Luke Skywalker, go to the dark side, and why would a Sith Lord waste his time on this emotionally unstable person?
- The light saber CHOSE Rey??? - What is this Harry Potter?

I could go on - I'm giving it 2/10

The Great
Poe, BB-8
The Good
- Rey (acting skills), Han Solo and Chewie, Picture, Sound, Millennium Falcon
The Bad
- Finn, Rey (being too perfect), , Kylo Ren, Setting, R2-D2 inexplicably being inactive and having "the map"
The Awful
- 3rd Death Star (very original), Luke's 10 seconds of screen time, Entire Plot (a really bad remake of A New Hope), C3P-O's red arm, Phasma, First Order, Kylo Ren's emotions.
BlackFox81Dec 23, 2015
this is a god awful remake of a new hope with elements of emprie and jedi thrown together. Very disappointing movie. actually very boring to be honest maybe this would have made a good star trek film but this is probably the worst star warsthis is a god awful remake of a new hope with elements of emprie and jedi thrown together. Very disappointing movie. actually very boring to be honest maybe this would have made a good star trek film but this is probably the worst star wars and that includes 1,2 and 3. Also all the new characters suck Expand
Kalasanty11Jan 15, 2016
If you have watched New Hope, don't bother with this one. Story is just a rehash, only worse in almost every regard. Villain is just a pathetic imitation of Vader. People were complaining about how Anakin's turning to the dark side looked...If you have watched New Hope, don't bother with this one. Story is just a rehash, only worse in almost every regard. Villain is just a pathetic imitation of Vader. People were complaining about how Anakin's turning to the dark side looked... But it was still a masteriece compared to how terrible character of Kylo Ren is. Relations between characters are artificial and... damn, so much to say, but can't because of spoilers. Don't waste your money on this movie and just wait until it will be released on TV. In 2 years, or 10... doesn't really matter, you aren't loosing much. Expand
commonsensemdDec 27, 2015
When you see 2000+ positive reviews for this film remember that the success of this movie is putting food on the table for 25,000+ people, and unfortunately taking food off of mine. What a complete waste of time. If disappointment was aWhen you see 2000+ positive reviews for this film remember that the success of this movie is putting food on the table for 25,000+ people, and unfortunately taking food off of mine. What a complete waste of time. If disappointment was a four letter word it would be “Star,” and if refund was a four letter word it would be “Wars.” It is difficult to know where to start a review when the movie itself didn’t know where to start. The only thing that kept me awake in this film was the occasional cameo of an elderly star or ageless droid. Warning: a teenage scavenger hunt has more plot than this movie. It honestly feels like the Jets and Sharks, Crips and Bloods, and Hatfield and McCoy’s were locked in the writing room with a colorful pharma bowl in the center of the table.
Most of the characters did the best they could with a canned and uninspiring script; however, Chewy and Droids will keep you amused with their deliveries. The villains were a joke. The Napoleonic Ginger (Hux) was a disgrace to gingers; in fact, Boris Becker wielding a tennis racquet would have been more menacing. When Kylo Ren took off his mask I laughed out loud! Then, I had a difficult time focusing on his lines because I was expecting him to wave a magic wand causing doves fly out of his hair. Once again Rafael Nadal wielding a tennis racquet would have been more menacing. With all due respect, I do see this as being a good film if you are 14 or under. I taught 8th grade and for them I will raise the bar to 7 mainly because their internal reference library is much smaller and congested with similar swill.
TruethisJan 7, 2016
Terrible movie. The first 30 minutes or so aren't that bad, but eventually, something stupid starts happening every 5 minutes! And there is nothing original at all. A pure recycle job for teenies who don't know any better. The drop-off inTerrible movie. The first 30 minutes or so aren't that bad, but eventually, something stupid starts happening every 5 minutes! And there is nothing original at all. A pure recycle job for teenies who don't know any better. The drop-off in ticket sales for the next one is going to be big. 0 / 10 Expand
AbrownleeDec 28, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie tells the story of the resistance fight against the totalitarian First Order: space nazis. Unfortunately, the central plot, the battle to take out the nazi superweapon with a squadron of X-wing fighters, has been told before in two previous Star Wars movies, and so the story felt predictable. Daisy Ridley, playing a key character, often delivered her lines as if in theatre rehearsal, effusive and earnest, rather like Hermione Granger. This was an opportunity to use these fables to show is something new, but here was just repetition. Expand
dirkdeaglerDec 29, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I too felt a need to create a Metacritic account just to review this.

I wish JJ Abrams didn't exist. A lot of reviews rightly criticize him for ruining two sci-fi franchises in Star Trek and Star Wars, but let's not forget his hack friend Damon Lindelof also ruined the Alien franchise with the crappy writing in Prometheus.

I can't fathom how critics rated this as highly as they did. Kudos to Michael Hiltzik of the LA Times for having the stones to appropriately review this turd.

Star Wars TFA critical flaw is that it suffers from writing I'd expect to find on a Disney Channel show for eleventeen year olds. Others reviews have provided an overview of the enormous plot holes present in the script, so I'll focus only on the central Maguffin, the star map to Luke. The main plot arc for the entire movie focuses on locating Luke, who, inconsistently with all his characterization in the preceding 3 films, has disappeared as soon as the going gets tough. The search for Luke revolves around a portion of a star map, stored on the Star Wars equivalent of a USB drive. However, later in the film during the battle around the Starkiller base, we repeatedly see the Resistance HQ getting real-time updates from the battle. This establishes that faster-than-light transmission of information is possible even under the most extreme conditions. Why then, did the Resistance bother making a map and committing it to their Star Wars USB when they could've just beamed the information directly back to rebel HQ?!? In other words, instead of just sending an email, they decided they'd rather put the information on a USB and physically transport it across the entirety of a hostile galaxy. Yeah, that's the central plot, and it would be a historical anachronism in present day Earth, let alone in a Star Wars movie.

The film is set against a muddy backdrop, where the outcome of events of the first six episodes is unclear. I kept expecting at least a cursory attempt at exposition at some point during the film, but apparently forgettable and pointless fifteen minute scenes fighting tentacle monsters were more deserving of screen time than a basic understanding of the setting.

The characters were more often flat caricatures than believable people with understandable motivations. The new characters were particularly bad:

-Finn is the bumbling sidekick, whose only apparent purpose is to provide comic relief when not providing crucial details about the Starkiller base due to his vast experience in the custodial arts. His conscientious objection to pointless killing is conveniently forgotten when it's time to gleefully cut down some storm troopers. The failure to explore his de-conditioning as a storm trooper and to show his growth as a character is another of the many missed opportunities in the film.

-Rey. Exhaustively covered in other reviews, but she can do everything effortlessly and with no training, which dissolves any tension related to this character's place in the plot because we know beforehand that she will easily succeed at anything she tries.

-Kylo Ren started as one of the more interesting characters with his struggles between the dark and light side of the force (although apparently no one told him that Vader wasn't a paragon of the dark side and redeemed himself before dying. No big deal, only one of the most important developments of the preceding six films.) The chance to explore his motivation in a stunning act of betrayal against the light side and his uncle Luke is wasted in favor portraying flat teen angst. Kylo is reduced to a foil to show us how awesome Ren is.

The older characters don't really belong and are shoehorned into the script wherever possible. It seems like Harrison Ford really tried to give us Han Solo, but at some point realized what a disaster the script was going to be. Princess Leia was a trainwreck. C3PO's face moves more than Carrie Fisher's.

I desperately wanted to like this movie, but it's clear that I'm no longer Disney's target audience. This is bland, safe, filmmaking where every facet of the script was run through multiple focus groups to optimize Disney's return on investment. The resulting product will no doubt give executives and Disney shareholders what they desire, at the expense of making anything resembling a good Star Wars film.
WalkingCarpetDec 29, 2015
Clearly Disney and Abrams had no idea whatsoever to do with this franchise, so they retreated back into the original films and did a remake instead. Wow! The result: a sad excuse of a so-called next episode. It's not just that this film isClearly Disney and Abrams had no idea whatsoever to do with this franchise, so they retreated back into the original films and did a remake instead. Wow! The result: a sad excuse of a so-called next episode. It's not just that this film is so bad. What does it say about future episodes? If they have this much trouble coming up with a new idea already, what the heck are they going to do when they run out of original source material to plagiarize? Expand
osoJan 3, 2016
This is the work of Disney rapeing the most awesome scifi franchise of all time. The movie is filled with childish jokes that result in absurd and ridiculous characters that were once epic. Some of them are so shallow-brained and replaceableThis is the work of Disney rapeing the most awesome scifi franchise of all time. The movie is filled with childish jokes that result in absurd and ridiculous characters that were once epic. Some of them are so shallow-brained and replaceable it wouldn't stand out if they weren't there at all, even story wise. Considering the story it's like some 10 year olds were asked to write a remake of episode 4 just with cheaper actors. They disobey the lore of the classic movies and desperately try to get some connections, probably for the older audience. I think the decision to use some old faces was a generally a good idea but Carrie Fisher looks so wasted and pumped with Botox they shouldn't have used her. Daisy Ridley does her job quite well, but overall there's just a lack of legendary individuals like Christopher Lee, Alec Guinness etc. The evil characters seem flat and unauthentic. One could say a poor copy of once great villains. Expand
GregSkywalkerJan 7, 2016
I almost rated 1 in respect to the crew of this movie. But then I realized even they have a responsibility to ensure an authentic product.
Truly, dark times have descended. I fear for the souls of all true Star Wars fans.
What sort of world
What sort of world is this when the prequels seem relevant & authentic verses this recent trash?
SW had the opportunity of Gilgamesh, Zeus, Jesus or Arthur. But jj reduced it to Iron Man, Wolverine or some dumb **** What else can I say? Werner Herzog, please save Star Wars!
EnkiduNinkasiJan 3, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So I just wanted to add a couple of comments about istarwars 7s. In my opinion this movie was the biggest pile of cinema garbage I have ever seen. I don't know why they feel the need to take something that was old and great and completely ruin it. I knew jj as*hat was going to ruin this from the gate, just like he had ruined star trek.. Here's a couple reasons why I hated istarwars 7s:

1. First off the fact that they took something that was so great and dumbed it down to the point that it was just meant for the masses of dumbas*es that don't want to have to think whilst watching a movie. They just want to see mindless explosions and don't care about proper story line might as well have been directed by Micheal freakin Bay.. EXPLOSIONS! MICHEAL BAY! MICHEAL BAY EXPLOSIONS! MICHEAL EXPLOSION BAY! EXPLOSION! EXPLOSION BAY!!. It did not feel like a star wars movie whatsoever. I really preferred the prequels to this steaming pile of dog **** Of course OT is the best! There was really no character development, No real story development, Nothing. Just one action scene to the next.. The only reason it did so good in theaters is because A people are dumb and B the nostalgia factor..

2. It really was just a remake of a new hope with a couple of flashy new features, thus why I call it either istarwars 7s or ianewhope 7s. I mean come on.. A whole universe, you can create anything you can imagine, and you do another f*cking death star that was a huge thing, but wasn't actually a huge thing at all. It felt like the were just kind of like, oh yeah death star, we already know what to do with this, we'll just blow it up and get it out of the way real quick so we can get back to finding Luke because for some reason that's much more important then the however many planets just got blown up.. You know we just lost all of our structured government but Luke will make it all better..

3. Finn is only in it so it can be politically correct and so Disney does not have to worry about pissing off certain groups of people despite being one of the worst characters ever..

4. The awkward forced "funny" moments that weren't really funny... at all....

5. The soundtrack was garbage. The soundtrack has been amazing and original for every previous movie but definitely not this one..

6. The awkward forced romance between the Finn an Rey.

7. There was way too many convenient situations or coincidences:
A. The millenium falcon just so happened to be on jakku in perfect condition with the hatches open ready to fly when they needed to make a quick escape.
B. Rey mastered flying the millenium falcon within minutes of flying it.
C. Rey knew how to fix the falcon even with all of hans "special modifications"
D. Han and chewy just so happened to be right next to jakku for no reason what so ever to pick up the Rey and Finn.
E. If the empirenazis know the location of the rebel base why didn't they blow that up first?
F. Walking through empire bases like you f*cking own the place? Remember what it was like for Luke and the gang to make it out of the OG deathstar?
G. Finding Rey so easily in a planet size military base.

8. I feel like it was just mindless action and nothing was explained. FOR ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SAYING THEY WILL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING IN THE NEXT MOVIES: So the next couple movies are going to be drawn out prequels to this one? Like Reys past jedi training and how she got her memories erased and dropped off by her father Luke on jakku for her own protection from supreme leader voldemort I mean snoke. Like the Finns back story. Like what luke has been up to since going in to hiding. Like how they managed to build death star ver 3.2. Like what happened to the rebellion and empire after ROTJ. Like supreme leader voldemorts i mean snoke back story. Like that guy with the masks back story. Like who that yellow yoda was and why it had lukes lightsaber.

9. I just feel like the writers were being lazy, took too many shortcuts, and should have done a better job explaining things. The whole movie felt really rushed as well like they tried to fit in as many things as possible in the shortest amount of time.

10. The villians... Seriously. These are the bad guys? They made kylo seem like such a bad a*s, but in reality he's just a whiny little b*tch with no skills. He should have either kept the mask on the whole time or not worn one at all! Plus there is really no point in him wearing a mask in the first place.. And I know it's going to end up being another struggle for good and evil with him. You could see the conflict in him whilst talking to han. He'll probably end up turning good at the last minute and saving everyone from supreme leader voldemort. I mean.. well f*ck it.. and his stupid **** pointless lightsaber? Seriously? There was absolutely no point having that cross lightsaber. Not to mention the cross guard would be easily cut through if hit in the right spot... Also WTF?? Him and the knights of ren can destroy all of lukes students, jedi school, and defeat luke. But yet in this movie he's a p*ssy b*tch? Can't even defeat two people that have never yielded a sword?

11. Supreme leader voldemort? Seriously? That's all you could come up with? And what's up with the empire? When did they turn into nazis? I mean come one. War rallies? Big red banners with their symbol? They even do the nazi salute?

12. So the first time picking up a light saber and you can match someone thats been using a lightsaber for probably years. I understand rey used a staff and probably was trained by her father luke when she was young but that just makes it ok to say that she can just become an instant master with a sword? A staff is nothing like fighting with a sword.. and the Finn should have never been able to keep up anywhere near as close to the guy with the mask.. Have you ever tried to use a sword? It's no easy task i can tell you that much. Don't believe me? Try and go up against a guy that's been using a sword for at least a couple years when you have no experience. I bet you won't last thirty seconds. And the guy with the mask being injured is no excuse. I mean come on. He could have just forced choked them both or force pushed them into another tree.. And the Finn should have never been able to land a hit on him..

13. The ending? Again seriously? You're just going to stand there and stare at each other for ten awkward minutes whilst the camera goes back and forth? I felt like it was a family guy joke. Almost thought I was watching blue harvest..

14. BB8 was stupid...

15. The scene on hans freighter with the monsters was completely unnecessary.. The computer graphics were terrible. Not to mention it was hard seeing old han trying to act.. He's just too old.. They really should have used that time for maybe some character development?

16. Rey was too perfect. She's just a master at everything? She's a bad ass fighter, can use a lightsaber like a master, can fly anything, can fix anything, and an instant master force user?

17. Where's the truly iconic characters? Think about how much of a huge impression iconic characters in the past made. Like darth, his mask, his voice, his breathing, his talking, these are things that made him truly unique. people were talking about him for years after that movie. Or the the princess in ROTJ wearing that bikini and her goofy hairstyles. Again all things that were original and truly unique. None of these characters have anything unique or iconic going on. These are not characters that will be remembered and talked about for years and years..

18. The director of a star trek movie should never ever direct a star wars movie!

19. Why did the yellow yoda character have anikans pod racing flag and boba fetts mandelorian symbol flag outside of her casino bar thing?
AdrenalinDec 30, 2015
This film was an insult to the Star Wars franchise. Atm I'm feeling like it is the worst movie of the whole saga, even worse than Episode 1 which I already rate quite low. The simple but devastating reason for this is that the movie did notThis film was an insult to the Star Wars franchise. Atm I'm feeling like it is the worst movie of the whole saga, even worse than Episode 1 which I already rate quite low. The simple but devastating reason for this is that the movie did not expand the lore at all but copied almost everything from Episode 4 and mixed it with stupid diversity crap. The stuff that was made different from the originals almost always ends in senseless luck moments. - Coincidences are the driving force of the plot, which is just a joke.

It doesn't immerse you, it doesn't feel like Star Wars.

For me this isn't Star Wars or canon.

Anyone who rates this higher than Episode 3 is no true Star Wars fan.
PalardoJan 3, 2016
A totally predictable and boring reboot of Star Wars IV. The death was unnecessary, and even though the first part and the characters were okay, the argument/ script was really awful and full of nonsense and absurdities. I think Disney paid aA totally predictable and boring reboot of Star Wars IV. The death was unnecessary, and even though the first part and the characters were okay, the argument/ script was really awful and full of nonsense and absurdities. I think Disney paid a LOT of money to all these "specialized critics" websites, to change people's minds to make them think they liked the movie, when it was a boring and dull **** Even some of the prequels were better than this movie. Expand
erik1pearsonDec 27, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is very interesting how this film has polarized the audience.

My 0 score includes a deduction for spending an obscene $300 million and yet blowing the basics.

After viewing the film, I was lukewarm, yet had to meter my opinion since so many have invested so much in wanting to love this film -- yet I have grown colder and colder towards it.

First, I must admit, I entered the theater with both great hope and trepidation. I have seen how JJ Abrams productions fall flat when it really comes time to give the stories meat. Great on hype, build-up, action execution -- and then, nothing really interesting inside the magic box.

I was so ready to give it a break. But from the very beginning the movie just left me cold. Starting with the flickering lights inside the storm trooper transport, to the first awful wooden and nonsensical lines uttered, the perfect timing of events and seamless takes, the forced action, blood-stained finger swipes on Finn's helmet (the simple hand-acting of which seemed itself awkward and forced), the jump-to-the-ending exhortations of Max von Sydow to Kylo Ren, er soon to be revealed as Ben Solo, the misplaced comedic lines of Poe to Kylo Ren -- it felt like the film was off by a beat (and not in an offbeat way), yet was assaulting me with pew-pew laser blasts and awesome deep-throated evil-voices which meant I ought to be engrossed and having a good time. I was still giving it a chance in those first 5 minute, even though I'm old enough to know that bad situations rarely get better all on their own.

On the days following, my son and I "cleansed" by watching A New Hope -- one time the new enhanced, HD, and the next day by chance an old vhs of the original. And wow, it was indeed a delicious treat, every scene just bursting with originality, even on the nth viewing (and I rarely watch movies even a second time.) The Force Awakens, now reviewing the first scenes a second time (albeit not at the theater), is just hard to watch. I just got to the Rey scavenging scene, and the over-dramatization of picking parts out of an abandoned battleship (or whatever), with her wearing full face-covering and darkened goggles inside the dark hulk only to remove them when out in the blasting sun, and having drunk down to the last few drops of water when she should be a seasoned pro, is just more awkward rubbing-the-wrong-way, just-for-dramatic-effect, just-because-we-think-someone-will-find-this-cool immature film making.

And I love unbelievable fantasy! But, please, it is the accumulation of all these bad moments, and I really could go on, that kept pulling me out of the the story with a flashing "wtf" floating across my retina which I tried to will myself to forget, but could not, and ultimately finishing with a dizzying helicopter shot of Rey and Luke just moments after the "big reveal" which itself was the ultimate tease of the film, just seconds before the end ... well, "wtf" and "that was it?" was not far from my lips as the credits began to roll.
FrabedabedaJan 5, 2016
I thought Star Wars - The Force Awakens was terrible. They ruined the star wars franchise. Actors and acting was just atrocious. Story and plot was boring and not believable at all. I really don't like how it took Luke Skywalker three moviesI thought Star Wars - The Force Awakens was terrible. They ruined the star wars franchise. Actors and acting was just atrocious. Story and plot was boring and not believable at all. I really don't like how it took Luke Skywalker three movies (including training by Yoda) before he could use/handle the force and defeat Darth Vader, but it takes this girl 14 seconds (with no training) to figure out and master all the nuances of the force and defeat the dark side/Kylo Ren. She went from scavenger/nobody to the ultimate jedi warrior in 14 seconds with no training. Just ridiculous and stupid. She is not believable as a hero/jedi saving the galaxy and Kylo Ren is not believable as the bad guy (new Darth Vader) - he's a wuss. I'm surprised they did not have him break down and cry and surrender to the girl. Terrible job as a villain. I won't bother going to see any more Star Wars movies now that Disney is doing them. Expand
iawiaJan 4, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SUPER DISAPPOINTING!

Full of repeat story lines: father/son situation again, death star again, repeated trench run, novices defeating highly trained dark lords, same x-wing planes? Seriously? A few new characters, that's all. I love the star wars franchise and was thoroughly unsatisfied. I hope Lucas gets heated and takes over creative control from Disney. That's all.
carrot-stickDec 25, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. TL;DNR

This movie reminded me of Jurassic World in all the wrong ways. It was filled with constant references to an older movie (ANH), had a similar plot to said movie, was trying to be bigger and better than what it was referencing, and had a nauseating amount nostalgia porn from the movie it was trying to outdo. If you liked Jurassic World, you may enjoy Episode VII, but I warn you, it doesn't even have anything original like a dinosaur battle at the end.

**Spoilers**
Longer Review

I don't know where to begin with this movie.

My biggest gripe with it is just how unoriginal the entire movie is! I felt like I had seen all of this before. And I had in the original trilogy (and maybe the video game Force Unleashed). It was like someone was taking the general plot of A New Hope and rushing through all the build up so that they could have a huge action sequence. The movie rarely lets us breathe and take in the world the characters live in (Rey's opening sequence is about the only exception I can think of).

One of the most annoying examples of this was Finn's life. He was a storm trooper who, after one battle, decides to go rogue and help the Resistance. Yeah, I rolled my eyes when he explained why he wanted to help the Resistance, but that wasn't what really pissed me off. It was the fact that as soon as he was away from the First Order, he shows no signs of indoctrination or unfamiliarity with the outside world, especially since he makes a point of saying all storm troopers are kidnapped as children. Despite having lived with these people and knowing they are the same as him, he has no trouble killing them. But he doesn't want to kill the Resistance, whom he has no connection to. There is no moral dilemma for him. They don't explore his journey at all. He just turns from "bad to good." That's it.

And then they make him into the butt of everyone's jokes. It was around the time he meets up with Rey that I realized the point of his character was to make everyone else (or at least Rey) look good. Seriously, he is the incompetent one in the movie who's flaws all the other characters are very quick to point out. There is no character like this in the Original Trilogy. They treat him as a buffoon much like Jar Jar Abra- I mean Binks.

Now, how to talk about Rey...? Mad Max had strong female characters. Rey is not a strong female character, because she isn't a character. She's a Mary-Sue who is perfect at everything. As a protagonist she might work in a video game, if only because the audience would feel like her achievements were the result of them playing the game; the results of their hard work. But that isn't case. Her successes feel unearned, even compared to Luke's. It wasn't until the third movie that he could stand up to Vader, yet Rey overpowers Kylo Ren (read: Darth Vader) with zero training. Where is the struggle when there are no failures?

Which brings us to our villain, Kylo Ren. He had a pretty cool opening sequence in which he shows off his mastery of the Force in a very impressive way. He came across as a bad ass. But as the movie rolls on, they don't give him a good motivation nor characterization to explain his disposition. He acts like an angry teen like Anakin in the prequels. Specifically Anakin from Revenge of the Sith. And then he gets stomped by a first time lightsaber user.... Yes, he is clearly the new Vader. *eye roll*

And all of this leads to the ultimate point: that they wanted to shove their under developed characters into the plot of A New Hope with no characterization nor coherency. They don't care about logic, all they are trying to do is squeeze happy nostalgia feelings from the audience by pulling off the same scenes from previous movies. They tried to pass it off as a coherent movie by appealing to nostalgia or by making elements bigger (ie: Starkiller Base is a bigger Death Star and the movie lets you know this by showing you a visual comparison). Like people should accept this convoluted doppelganger of A New Hope simply because it reminds them of it. This movie is lazy and pandering.
GirafficDec 19, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. TL;DR This is a 'meh" movie which does not deserve the scores it is receiving.

The Resistance! Thank god you've come! Glad to see the scores dropping to somewhat realistic levels.

If you like nonsensical coincidence driven plots, illogical yet bland crowd pleasing story , a complete lack of context for any events or characters, an avalanche of nonstop soulless references and... "jokes", total disrespect for source lore, obvious plot devices that slap you in the face with their obviousness so hard that they are obvious and dare I say it, tropes... Then you will love this movie.

There's really nothing more I can say about this nostalgia-fest of a film that hasn't been said already, but I felt like I had to do my part in combating the undeserved, ludicrous, and insane scores of 10's and 9's this movie is receiving.

In fact, as a life long lurker, this is the first review I've ever done of anything, but the injustice of a "meh at best" movie receiving critical acclaim simply because its Star Wars and Abrams directed forced me to join this discussion. Don't let hype and nostalgia blind you, tell the truth.

List of criticisms begins, quickly becomes a bit ranty;

NO who, what, when, where, why, or how about anything at all. It's a general comment.

20% dialogue / 80% boom boom and flashbacks and zoomed in faces going "gngh!".

No background information about the state of the galaxy, political climate, the Order, the New Republic,
the main characters, or anything else.

Coincidences! R2 turns on, why? Millennium Falcon is right there, ready for escape, why? Luke's Lightsaber, why? Fin crashes right next to Rey's hometown from orbit, how? There's more but point made.

Rey is the most magically great at everything, better than boyz, "#badassgirl" I have ever seen. Offensive to anyone who doesn't like to be blatantly pandered to. Her nonsensical mastery of force techniques
devalues what and how the Force functions and the extreme dedication and effort required to be a Jedi.
We all deserve female characters who resemble reality instead of a pandering strawman.

Finn has a complete 180 character reversal because nonsense. Symptom of a bad movie.

Boy band villain is the most groan worthy dark jedi imaginable. His tantrums are not evil or "scary" as the
movie tried to bash you over the head with... just petulant. Boring, weak, emasculated, bleh.

Five planets were destroyed, trillions of people were killed, and it was barely referenced. The entire scene in which that happens runs five minutes then immediately become another action scene. Also...
who, what, where, when, how!

Snoke is a stupid name, why does he choose do use a giant hologram (cause its so cwl) and why did he send his "untrained" apprentice to do all this if he is so useless!

How did the Order get the resources to build star killer base? The Empire could build the Death Star because they had the resources of an entire galaxy at their disposal! How did a terrorist organization not
only match that feat but surpass it five times over?

The Han spoiler was so obvious from so far that it lost all its emotional gravity.

Phasma did nothing. Don't tell me "Well, Boba Fett also did nothing at first!". True, that's why they didn't put him on the poster.

There's more of course but.... In closing, this movie was insulting to anyone with a brain. Lucas was accused of writing the prequel films for children. I make the same accusation against Abrams, except he was writing for the masses.

The only great thing this movie will do for the franchise is pump money into Expanded Universe games and books, which is where the magic has always lived anyways. Let's just hope that Disney embraces that fact instead of truly killing the source of Star Wars fandom... (loljkwerdoomedxxx)
120 of 200 users found this helpful12080
DWPorterJan 3, 2016
I have a groundbreaking idea for a new Lord of the Rings movie: I will call it The Ring Awakens and it will follow the exact plot of the Fellowship of the Ring, but I'll make Frodo a girl so no one will notice that I'm too lazy or afraid toI have a groundbreaking idea for a new Lord of the Rings movie: I will call it The Ring Awakens and it will follow the exact plot of the Fellowship of the Ring, but I'll make Frodo a girl so no one will notice that I'm too lazy or afraid to come up with an original idea. Expand
nubmanDec 26, 2015
Basically just a rehash of new hope and nothing about the movie drew me in. I didn't care for any of the characters, the dialog was dull and boring , the pacing was just awkward and the villain was just dumb
Overall I was pretty disappointed
Overall I was pretty disappointed with this movie.
AntonvolovJan 5, 2016
No logic at all. Goddamned copy of episode 4 in favourite Disney style. Very bad continuation of great saga. J. J. Abrams ruined Lucas's property. I am going to read books from EU.
jofloJan 1, 2016
This may have been the greatest movie disappointment of my life. As a fan of Star Wars and a fan of just good movies, I was expecting a great film based on the kind of reaction that this film was getting. Instead, I couldn't wait for theThis may have been the greatest movie disappointment of my life. As a fan of Star Wars and a fan of just good movies, I was expecting a great film based on the kind of reaction that this film was getting. Instead, I couldn't wait for the film to be over it was so bad. There was no imagination shown on the part of this creative team whatsoever. It was all just a collection of scenes copied from previous Star Wars films with just enough difference to allow them to pretend it was something new. That's bad enough, but even if one was blind to the fact that it was just a cut & paste of other films, the overall quality was awful. Repeatedly, I was thinking to myself, "Why would that happen? Why would they do that? That was just stupid." The only question for me is, will I even bother with the next episode. My strong leaning right now is, no, and if a first film turns me off that much from even considering the second, it is a complete failure: 0/10. Expand
JJabramsSUXJan 3, 2016
This movie is the best thing that could ever happen for George Lucas' legacy. It was so bad that Lucas looks like a prodigal genius in comparison. This movie makes the Phantom Menace look like Empire Strikes Back. It makes Jar Jar Binks lookThis movie is the best thing that could ever happen for George Lucas' legacy. It was so bad that Lucas looks like a prodigal genius in comparison. This movie makes the Phantom Menace look like Empire Strikes Back. It makes Jar Jar Binks look like Darth Vader. In short, Abrams has single-handedly destroyed Star Wars. After 40 years of Lucas brilliance, Star Wars has just been dealt the fatal death blow. I would rather watch Chewbacca and Kylo Ren tongue kiss for 120 minutes than watch this steaming pile of space doo a second time. Expand
SkipperrDec 30, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not Star Wars.

First, I am not Hard Core Star Wars fan.
Never read any of the star wars books etc.
My family loved all six Star Wars movies, fun for entire family.

Three generations of my family watched this new movie. No one liked it. Why?

I will try to write the main reasons:
1. Plot is hollow - bad copy/paste job from Ep IV through VI.
The main goal is “Find Luke Skywalker” - why, never explained. When they find him - all is over - Bad guys are defeated, their Super Death Star destroyed and their army with it.
2. Scenes are poorly stitched together - too many coincidences.
3. Another Death Star - this time unbelievable. How close to the sun this planet must be to harvest its energy? It is attached to the sun and has atmosphere, forest, snow? Everything should be scorched within seconds. How dumb we should be? Is it a starship-planet or it is built in republic system under their noses to destroy entire republic. Is the Republic only in one star system now?
4. Republic is destroyed by the Super Death Star and Super Death Star with a huge Bad army is destroyed by the Republic. What is left?
5. Characters:
- Good old Han Solo - 70 years old smuggler? Was he not a general and hero in Ep VI? HE WAS KILLED BY HIS OWN SON - who is pathetic bad ass little worm. The worst death of a hero I have ever seen. Sorry, he is not hero in this movie, he is only very insignificant character.
- Princess Leia, why is she here - another very insignificant character. Her part is very small and pale... Zero emotions between her and Solo in the scene where they talk about their son. Very strange, sorry I forgot, C3PO is to be blamed for that.
- Stormtrooper Phil - why is he in this movie? The answer is simple - they wanted a black man with a light saber. They made him look like a cowardly moron. He loses every fight in this movie. First Ray punched him in the face, BB8 shot him in the leg, then his fellow stormtrooper discards a blaster to fight him with some silly weapon and he would have killed him if not..., and finally he is again fighting with light saber against pathetic sith moron (sorry, moron is not correct word - that would mean two morons, I must think of a better word) - he loses again. What a character.
- Bad Guy with some new and scary powers at the beginning - turned out to be a puddy cat. And I called him a moron, sorry again, I really must think of a better word.
- Ray, cute and very shiny - we could have loved her if she was presented more human and less superhuman, sorry wrong word again - supergirl. She is there alone in all her glory, strong independent woman, surrounded by weak, incompetent, moronic (I must stop to use this word) men. Who needs men anyway? Someone else said, she is instant Jedi, knows everything and can learn anything in seconds, really impressive. She eats Sith Lords for breakfast. All characters in this movie are there just to support her greatness.

5. Some power behind this movie really hates men. And, with a very good reason:
Han Solo abandoned his wife and his son - he is a criminal, it is to be expected.
Luke Skywalker abandoned everyone and everything, including his child or children. Entire planets have been destroyed, millions died and he just doesn’t care. Not even for his own blood. How cruel and selfish - even Jar Jar would have said “how rude”.
Supreme leader Snooky, Snoopy, sorry his name is hard to remember, really evil man, kills everyone who stand in his way.
Big Bad Sith (Black) Puddy Cat, he is evil, what can be expected from the son of a criminal. Well, he is evil in a good way, poor, poor boy. He has more good in him the 3 evil men from above (Han, Luke and Snoopy). He just can’t see it. Well, he is not actually bad, he just looks like a frightened school girl and that is his quality.

I give this only one star because it has Star Wars in its title - that is a lie. Without that, it would be 5 or 6 stars.

To all of you who write 10 stars reviews and call us, disappointed people, haters.
There is nothing to hate - just disappointment.

Why are you so upset about negative reviews, when there are 100.000 of you and only a handful of us?

I am not upset with your 10 stars with very short reviews.
And please when you write review and give 10 stars, please explain why (in details) this movie deserves 10 starts in more then two sentences if you can.

To all of you out there, I say, go and see for yourself. Some people may love, others may hate, only you can judge for yourself.
TheorycrafterJan 4, 2016
Everyone here said all I think about the plot, but there are more things done badly. Like Finn. He represents a lot of what's wrong with this movie.

Spoilers below. Finn looks like a character from Guardians of the Galaxy, joking all

Spoilers below.

Finn looks like a character from Guardians of the Galaxy, joking all the time, breaking the tension that never was there to begin with.
He doesn't bring us the point of view of a real stormtrooper. He simply doesn't carry the weight of being an ex-soldier haunted by the terrible things he said he saw.

So, what did he see? The first mission in which he participated was that from the beginning. This rookie, who worked in sanitation and couldn't even pilot a TIE fighter was participating in a mission to recover secret information about the last Jedi.
At first he seemed to care about the comrade who died in front of him... But no, he was just a coward. He had absolutely no problem with killing his former colleagues later. Being an ex-stormtrooper doesn't add anything to his development. And what a wasted opportunity of making a better rivalry with Phasma.

He was also joking too much for someone who spent his entire life under severe discipline and didn't even had a name moments before.
There were other guys trying to be funny in this movie already, Poe and Han (even Kylo Ren with his tantrums and funny face). They could have made Finn more interesting, but no. It's not enough to have BB-8 as comic relief.

What is his role in this story then? He isn't a real ex-villain. He isn't a pilot. He isn't a jedi, he wasn't fighting for what is right, nor for money or for his dreams..... just being reckless for a girl he barely knew.... Wait... That's it!

His only purpose in this movie (and maybe in the entire new trilogy) is being Rey's romantic interest and making her look better by being her useless protector.

We can't even ignore him because he is one of the main characters. We are supposed to adore him for how charismatic he is.
BobicJan 4, 2016
It's exactly like Episode IV, except worse, because it's completely un-innovative, unimaginative, and totally lacking in the magic that made the originals so good.

It's clear that J.J. Abrams listened to the Plinkett reviews like the

It's clear that J.J. Abrams listened to the Plinkett reviews like the little slave that he is, it's clear that every facet of this movie was looked over hundreds upon hundreds of times by armies of focus groups & market research firms, it's abundantly clear that $200 million worth of special effects were poured into this movie—and yet, despite all this, despite everything, it's still lacking the only things that make Star Wars worth watching. THE STORY. THE CHARACTERS. THE CREATIVITY. THE SENSE OF SCALE. THE SENSE OF DESTINY. THE **** HEART!!!

It's all gone. Please don't watch this movie. Lucas should have sold the rights to David Lynch or someone with a single creative bone in their body.

Peace
AlperCaglarDec 25, 2015
Disney has just succeeded so perfectly at lowering your standards to the point that you feel as though you got lucky to even get a movie that is a nostalgic copy of the movies you used to love.

Sure, the practical effects are there, but

Sure, the practical effects are there, but the reliance on fan service and nostalgia doesn't make up for a terrible script and phoned in performances by Ford and Fisher. JJ does what JJ does best and ruins another franchise with his derivative shtick. It may have the anatomy of A New Hope (because they cloned it), but has none of the soul of the franchise.

All the Disney panderers and shills out there may call the cat a fish as much as they want, but only now, at the end, do they realize that the cat will drown nonetheless. The Mary Sue lead, the 1138 coincidences and the terrible pacing will not stand the test of time, and the entire hypnotic hype will come crashing down as people realize the awful truth-- even the horrible prequels had more of a Star Wars feel than this institutional humiliation.
mizthebizDec 31, 2015
The movie gets a 0 because it's a lie. I paid to see a new movie, not a shoddy remake with actor and prop cameos. It was like ordering a steak and getting raw meatloaf. I didn't want to see a remake, I wanted to see a sequel, period.The movie gets a 0 because it's a lie. I paid to see a new movie, not a shoddy remake with actor and prop cameos. It was like ordering a steak and getting raw meatloaf. I didn't want to see a remake, I wanted to see a sequel, period.

I'm a casual Star Wars fan. I didn't hate Episode 1, 2, and 3, but I didn't love them. I don't think Star Wars 4-6 were the greatest movies of all time either. I know the story line, and I like it, but I'm not emotionally invested in the franchise. I just literally wanted to see a movie with an interesting story line, and was willing to accept substandard acting and cringe worthy humor. Well, I got 2 out of the 3.

I know you can't talk about JJ Abrams without mentioning the Star Trek reboots. I liked those movies. They were over the top with action and explosions, but actually had reasonably interesting story lines. I liked the old Star Trek movies as well. They are both good story lines and told in very different styles.

Won't be watching episode 8, if they ever make it. The story line of 7 is so bad, I can't possibly imagine how the franchise will be saved without a do-over.

Even for the psychopaths that don't mind being mislead and lied to, there's no chance this movie is a perfect 10 out of 10. 10/10 means it's one of the greatest movies of all time. Give me a break.
HucksterJan 1, 2016
What a let down.... after such great expectations and decades of waiting. No inclination to see future SW movies at all. Think I'll start enjoying episodes 1-6 in a new light.
blee207Jan 3, 2016
What made this movie a joke:

1. There are so many Storm Troopers so only one dude that worked in sanitation grew a conscience? 2. Speaking of sanitation, how does a janitor know where the most vulnerable part of the planet was located?
What made this movie a joke:

3. It was dumb for the Death Star to have a single point of destruction and yet not be completely protected with like a million turrets. But that was made 30 years ago and I didn’t care because my expectations back then were very different than what they are today. It’s a complete failure of the story that many years have passed since the Death Star and they continue to make the same mistake! What a joke.
4. Now that I’ve barely scratched the surface of sword fighting through training, I can tell you that anyone who goes up against a trained swordsman will not last more than a few swings let alone a few minutes. The black guy and the girl should have been cut into pieces way before she discovered the force within.

Anyway, I did enjoy the movie overall because of two main factors:

1. The updated graphics and effects gave new life to a very old story.
2. Seeing the old cast in the movie brought back some very old memories and profound emotions.
MikefromAngusDec 21, 2015
I preordered my tickets 2 months before the movie came out, Hoping that star wars would be awesome again!
What I got was a lazy copy and paste story from episode 4 with bad pacing. The movie was actually worst then the prequels. there was nothing new about this movie, just a remake of episode 4.
CriticsLieDec 27, 2015
I created this account to make one single point: Movie critics are useless! This ridiculous farce of a Star Wars film deserved a slew of negative reviews. Were the critics really too stupid to realize it, or were they afraid to call what isI created this account to make one single point: Movie critics are useless! This ridiculous farce of a Star Wars film deserved a slew of negative reviews. Were the critics really too stupid to realize it, or were they afraid to call what is sure to be the biggest money-maker of the year what it really is: garbage? Man-up! You guys are supposed to enlighten and inform the public about the products of the movie-industry, not cower before it. After this, there is obviously zero point in looking to critics for guidance. Better to look at the meta-user reviews which have currently have this farce on it's way to the 6s, still far above where it belongs. Expand
besstDec 28, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. STAR WARS a review from a fan. Spoilers!!!

Banal story, poorly told. Uninspired, silly, forced dialogue. Unqualified actors with zero chemistry with the script or other actors. Under developed characters. Sluggish pacing. Ridiculous, absurd, nonthreatening, lightweight, villain. (Worst bad guy in history) Princess Leia is his mother? Luke is his uncle? Darth Vader is his grandfather and he's an inept Jedi, beaten up by a silly, underwritten, girl????? The villain alone gives this movie an F, and everyone who has seen it over 17 knows it. Attempt at humor a complete failure. Old characters tired looking with nothing to say, yet the only redeeming factor of the whole movie.
Stupid. Poorly cast. Poorly written. Better CGI in the prequels. Terrible fight scenes. Special effects sucked.
Boorish mess that should have been left on the cutting room floor.
I almost walked out.
Like J J Abrams Trek films, it was nonsensical, loud, and instantly forgettable.
My grade: D+
Now all the star wars nuts will flip out, when they know in their little hearts that this was not a good movie.
And this is how hey kill off Han Solo? By some wimpy, whiney, temper tantrum throwing show girl???
Your kidding, right?
I am stuned by the reviews.
I think this was the worst of the series.
Come on! You thought that villain was worthy???? You thought that RN was a good character? Or a good actor for that matter? All that panting and sweating for the first 10 minutes of the movie. Zero chemistry between the 2 main leads????
Please.
This movie is a disgrace.
apagee13Dec 27, 2015
I am sorry, this is a TERRIBLE movie! First, a complete rehash of the first one. Second, plot makes NO sense. Third, writing is sloppy, pointless, weak and riddled with errors. Fourth, yes, the CGI is cool, but you just don't care about theI am sorry, this is a TERRIBLE movie! First, a complete rehash of the first one. Second, plot makes NO sense. Third, writing is sloppy, pointless, weak and riddled with errors. Fourth, yes, the CGI is cool, but you just don't care about the characters to matter. Fifth, a SCOTTISH accent from one of the bad guys! The FIrst Order?! It's just SAD that they had all this talent, money and made such a poor movie. I was very disappointed. Expand