United Artists Releasing | Release Date: October 11, 2019
4.5
Mixed or average reviews based on 88 Ratings
Watch Now
JLuis_001Oct 18, 2019
It tries, I give it enough credit for it, but it stays far from doing justice to the characters.

Although you also have to be honest. How many people are fans of the original Addams Family? Maybe new generations will enjoy it more, kids most

Maybe new generations will enjoy it more, kids most likely. They're the target audience after all.
CritineOct 13, 2019
What a let down! So much marketing for a few funny jokes but mostly cliche and boring plot.
Don’t recommend
Deathstar25Oct 15, 2019
It was awful and trying to add pop to a goth movie was disappointing. It got boring really fast.
flametail23Oct 12, 2019
This movie holds a few amusing moments but its ultimately pointless, generic and at points boring, which is in some cases worse than being out right bad.
SHORTFINGEROct 11, 2019
well if you have seen the previews you have seen the movie. wait for it on cable or rent it. it was okay
Cashewkitty1Oct 11, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yawn! Boring! We had an expensive nap. Sad generic version of the Addams family. Expand
amovieloserOct 19, 2019
28 bucks to chaperone my sister and her friends at this movie. 30 minutes in they're all asleep & I basically paid to nap. Don't waste your money on this unfunny load of crap. At least the oogyloves had something going for it.
morebutterplzNov 4, 2019
NOT FOR MATURE AUDIENCE! This film does contain mature intended content, but the overall experience wasn't worth my time. Keep your debit card in your wallet; this isn't worth seeing even if it was available on DVD at your local library.
CristobalHerrerOct 26, 2019
Poor animation, poor jokes, poor characters, poor voices. They wanted to revive old loved characters using despicable me look a like animation but it didn´t work.
johnciacciOct 27, 2019
Big waste of time and money. I regret paying to see this. I would have like to get my money back from the manager.
cjmooreOct 11, 2019
As a big Addams fan, all I wanted was for this film to match the humor of the 60s TV show and 90s live action movies. And to me, this film did just that; I was laughing hysterically so many times.
Only real negative I can think of is that the
Only real negative I can think of is that the plot is really generic, but the reason you go to an Addams movie is for the jokes, not the story. So I walked out really satisfied.
Davrosdaleks1Oct 12, 2019
This knows how to have fun. The new animated Addams Family movie delivers what you want from the titular family: spades of dark humor jokes.

The movie successfully delivers when it comes to the four main family members. (Uncle Fester (Nick Kroll) and Granny (Bette Midler) are just okay.) Gomez (Oscar Isaacs) is the congenial family man with a zest for life. Morticia is the over-protective mother whose viewpoint you understand. Though the movie does have the parents be a little more sentimental than some portrayals, I do think it still captured the core of the characters. More effort is put into characterization for Pugsley (Finn Wolfhard) than a lot of previous versions. Let's be honest, Wednesday is usually the sibling that pulls focus. Speaking of which, this version is not much different. This Wednesday (Chloe Grace Moretz) gives the Christina Ricci version a run for her money. This is by far the most unnervingly emotionless one, and the animated format is able to do things to increase her creepiness that you couldn't do in animation.

The story, though, is very basic. It is the trope of the "normies" vs. the misunderstood monsters with predictable parent-child rifts. The normal people, especially villainous home renovator Margaux Needler (Allison Janney), are pretty predictable and uninteresting. I've seen Janney do good voice work before but here it feels like she's trying for a vocal quality she is never able to quite capture.

This appears to be a modestly budgeted film so don't expect Pixar, Disney, or Dreamworks-quality animation. I found the character design for a lot of the townsfolk to be disappointing. Though I did eventually get accustomed to it, the decision to make Morticia's face look like a skull wasn't what I felt to be the best option for the character. It felt a little at odds with the original New Yorker cartoon and previous animated versions. I think it's the chin that's the main issue. It was a little too long. I did like the decoration of the Addams Family house.

I do prefer the two 90's live-action versions over this. This one is more of a children's movie, and the original ones being for an older audience were able to go darker and more-over-the-top. This movie also has less of a distinct identity than its predecessors. (Though in fairness, what can you expect with any Addams Family movie without Raoul Julia?) I can't say this is the greatest animated kids film, either. However, it is an enjoyable time waster for the family.
BrunoVn00Nov 16, 2019
I know nothing about the source material but if this is "accurate" then I assume that the source material is just as boring, unfunny with absolutely no originality as this movie. The movie looks awful. The characters look so ugly andI know nothing about the source material but if this is "accurate" then I assume that the source material is just as boring, unfunny with absolutely no originality as this movie. The movie looks awful. The characters look so ugly and unappealing. It seems that the visual development team only "cared" about the designs of the Addams, because any other character looks ugly as hell. They probably just told modelers "Hey, make a character. We have no character sheets, just make one". Even worse, the movie is trying to tell us that the "normal people" see the Addams as freaks or monsters, but like...They look worse. Maybe that was intentional, like the movie tried to be ironic, but I think most likely that wasn't the case. The plot...Was there a plot? The movie is abou three subplots, one of those is completely pointless as it has no connection to the other two and one of them is about Wednesday! This is a Wednesday movie because she's the only one that is an actual character with an arc, because the rest of the characters are not characters, they are just props saying lines. Every character is one-note and has no charisma or personality. The villain is awful and unintentionally comical because of how generic she is. Her motivations are dumb, her actions are dumb, her lines are dumb, Jesus Christ, I think that the writers did it on purpose because if not it looks like the writers haven't seen any movie in their lives. Speaking about the writing, not only the plot is nonexistent, it has so many dumb and cliché plot points. There's absolutely no originality in any aspect. The movie looks awful and flat. The humor is low-brow and annoying. The "messages" this movie tries to give are so corny and so overused at this point in cinematic history. Everything is bad! The only reason I'm not giving this a 0 is because at least I could watch it without walking out of the theater and there were like two times I kinda laughed. If I were to count the fact that this is directed by the a**hole director of Sausage Party (A movie with alleged mistreatment to animators from this hack) then it would be a 0, but I'm judging this as if I didn't know that that guy was involved.

It pisses me off that people think I over-exaggerate because this is "a kids movie", and yes, it's a kids movie, but that doesn't give anyone the right to make a god-awful piece of sh**. It is infuriating to see that animated movies are hard to make. They are expensive and require hundreds of people working hours and hours, nights without sleep, and yet there are hacks that make movies with absolutely no creativity and love put into anything. I feel so sorry for the animators that worked on this. I know they make it for the money, but I'm sorry for them, because they worked in a movie that is just 90 minutes of nothing. I'm not asking that every single animated movie should be a masterpiece, because we can have room for dumb fun. Just look at Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus, that's an example of dumb fun and that's fine. Or look at a movie like How To Train Your Dragon 3, that, while it's not a great movie, it has so much effort and love put into the visuals and the animation. But this movie, just like so many other recent movies, doesn't have any effort in any aspect...
TallChickenBoyOct 12, 2019
This movie is genuinely a fun watch. I had a great time watching it and laughing at the jokes. The voice work was fantastic and the story was solid. I would watch it again
RonnocOct 18, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really don't understand all the hate that is being thrown at this movie. I say it's pretty good and the storyline about how the Addams family has to protect a house that a bunch of people want to take down because of it doesn't have the same tone as the other houses so a kid throws grenades to stop boulders from destroying their house and then the leader of the townspeople gets exposed by her own daughter and Wednesday works perfectly. This movie is also really funny.
kylepwOct 30, 2019
This soulless drudge is easily the worst animated movie in history, right up there with the emoji movie.

The character design was genuinely disgusting. The monsters were okay, but my God, the humans.... the teenage girl was an abomination. How did that character design make it past the brainstorming process? The story features a tired moral theme about being shunned for daring to stand out and does so with the subtlety of a sledgehammer. The movie was also full of violence between family members that I wasn't super excited for my 4 and 2 yo to be seeing. They love any animated movie they get to see but couldnt get through this one.

For the repulsive character design, tired plot, pointless violence and stale jokes, it deserves the lowest possible rating. Truly abysmal.
Smithy88Nov 1, 2019
Good film I enjoyed it
ericrendeiroNov 5, 2019
Very funny, it is the very much Addams Family we all are familiar with, but it could be better.
Ken-senpai-Nov 9, 2019
I laugh so much that I drop my taco in the cinema, it's a fun movie and it nails in catching the Adams scene, but everything that is not the Adams is bad and it has no sense, the villain is just bad, nothing charismatic and a pain to watchI laugh so much that I drop my taco in the cinema, it's a fun movie and it nails in catching the Adams scene, but everything that is not the Adams is bad and it has no sense, the villain is just bad, nothing charismatic and a pain to watch also the artwork in the characters from the town are horrible, and some of the scenes specially Wednesday and Pugsley and Oscar Isaac and Charlize Theron are Awesome in the as Morticia and Gomez, it's a great film to see with kids as they introduce you to the Adams Expand
SageyurilocoNov 18, 2019
Tem potencial porem ficou muito bobo,entendo o fato de ser infantil mais nem a comedia funciona,pessimo.
marcmyworksDec 27, 2019
Though there is a nothing plot and there is no real interesting or original ideas, I did enjoy Allison Janney playing the evil realtor/home decorating guru Margot.
joeyabukiOct 30, 2019
Bad. It is very stupid with silly jokes, although children might like it. Although I have to admit that he has good things. I liked how the origins show us and how they know Lurch, how uncle Fester comes, how they get to that "haunted" andBad. It is very stupid with silly jokes, although children might like it. Although I have to admit that he has good things. I liked how the origins show us and how they know Lurch, how uncle Fester comes, how they get to that "haunted" and macabre house. They show us that they are not only them but as 50 relatives that without quite bizarre and in general this whole world/universe. But apart from that, the plot is very silly, although I laughed only once with a pint that they put on Wednesday. It also makes a half sense with the plot of Pugsley. Expand
JoshlukereviewsOct 24, 2019
Good movie but it’s not a masterpiece to be 10/10 it’s a little funny the movie good but not great enough to be a 10/10 rating just good enough to be a 8/10 I sawed this the first day it came out I had to see it cuz I’m a Addams family fan IfGood movie but it’s not a masterpiece to be 10/10 it’s a little funny the movie good but not great enough to be a 10/10 rating just good enough to be a 8/10 I sawed this the first day it came out I had to see it cuz I’m a Addams family fan If you like Addams family go see it it’s good for the whole family Expand
YoungerReviewerNov 2, 2019
I went into this not watching the tv show or the 90's films, just knowing it was about a haunted family. In that sense it was a decent movie getting to know the strange family and how they interacted with the outside world. The animation isI went into this not watching the tv show or the 90's films, just knowing it was about a haunted family. In that sense it was a decent movie getting to know the strange family and how they interacted with the outside world. The animation is spot on I think and every character in the Adams family is unique however some models of children from the town are not brilliant and look unfinished. The plot was not a selling point but holds up pretty well since that's not the main concern of an Addams Family film. The comedy is quite cheap and most of the time it doesn't get any laughs which is a shake because it is meant to be a comedy. What I liked is how they established the family and the rivalry with the outside world and built on that. All the characters interact nicely with each other and the main character Wednseday is probably the best in the movie. Definitely not a must see buy if your new to Addams Family or like animation it's a mangaeble movie. Don't know how this holds up with the other TV series or movies. Expand
AsafeNov 20, 2019
Um dos melhores filmes que já assisti nesse ano, faz eu sentir uma nostalgia dos velhos tempos das animacoes da Familia Adams, curti muito a història que o filme traz e a lição de vida. Gostei e aprovei o humor e piadas do filme, dei muitaUm dos melhores filmes que já assisti nesse ano, faz eu sentir uma nostalgia dos velhos tempos das animacoes da Familia Adams, curti muito a història que o filme traz e a lição de vida. Gostei e aprovei o humor e piadas do filme, dei muita risada. Curti o clima e a ambientação do lugar no filme, gostei da maneiraque mostrou os persinagens e que retrataram e a trilha sonora muito boa. Expand
Lcs0110Dec 10, 2019
A história é muito besta, as piadas são idiotas e bobas, mt curto. ODIEI
Jaydee_Dec 28, 2019
I don't understand why this got negative reviews because it was a great movie a nice modern take on a real classic.