Miramax Films | Release Date: November 7, 2008
Generally favorable reviews based on 182 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
pooopsSep 15, 2022
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. its really bad as the characters don't really get time to developed as the run time is only a hour and 30 mins long for example Bruno and small are basically given 5 minutes of screen time, this is a problem because the cilmax is focused on Smull and Bruno trying to find Smulls dad which is weightless because of the lack of screen time for Smull and Bruno (also there is no falling action) I hate this moive. Expand
FilipeNetoMar 18, 2022
World War II and Nazism are themes that cinema has explored abundantly, and the list of good films grows every decade. The particularity that makes this film remarkable is that it takes us to see everything through the innocent eyes of aWorld War II and Nazism are themes that cinema has explored abundantly, and the list of good films grows every decade. The particularity that makes this film remarkable is that it takes us to see everything through the innocent eyes of a child, who cannot understand what is really happening, and to what extent his own family is involved in the atrocities that we know happened.

Bruno is a child who lives a sheltered and carefree childhood. He is the son of a German army officer, and the family is wealthy. He knows that his country is at war and that his father is important, and he is helping his country to win the war. But this is basically all he knows or understands about what goes on in the Germany of his time. When his father is ordered to go to the countryside, Bruno is very sad to leave his house and his friends, but he meets a strange child, who wears striped pajamas and lives inside a fenced enclosure, which his mother does not wanted him to see. She's the only one in the family who really understands what her husband is there to do, and the only one to protest it all.

The film is based on a novel written by John Boyne, but despite the source material and the film's fidelity to it, I wonder how immune a ten-year-old could really be to the avalanches of Nazi propaganda, considering that his father was a high-ranking official and the family had natural political connections to the Hitler regime. I don't mean to say that I disagree with Bruno's innocence and the way he doesn't know what's really going on, but it just seems hard to believe, since the Nazis used all means, including youth organizations and public education, to convey their ideology to younger people.

The cast does a truly remarkable job. The spotlight naturally goes to Asa Butterfield and Jack Scanlon. The two young actors knew how to work perfectly and created a very good working relationship, which gives credibility to the friendship of their characters. It's their effort that makes the film particularly touching and human. David Thewlis also did an extraordinary job, incarnating in his character the contradiction of a loving and caring family man who is responsible for the planned and meticulous slaughter of a huge number of people. Is he a monster? Was he turned into a monster? In clear contrast, Vera Farmiga gives life to a courageous mother and wife, who finds herself in the need to protect her children from a reality she cannot agree with, and in which her husband is totally immersed. She is, like Bruno, able to see the human and innocent side of the people her husband says aren't "really people", even though she eventually has to silence what she really thinks about German politics in order not to suffer. Its consequences. Amber Beattie, on the other hand, shows us what happened to many German children and young people, victims of massive Nazi propaganda from an early age. Nevertheless, she is human, and her love interest in a young SS man reveals it, though it sends her further into the Nazi frenzy. The film also has the very relevant participation of Rupert Friend and David Hayman.

Shot mostly in locations around Budapest, the film has a very beautiful, vivid, colorful and luminous cinematography, which fades and shadows as the film moves towards the end. There is a remarkable contrast between Bruno's house in the city (warmer colors, more light) and the gloomy house he goes to later (washed out colors, shadows, less light and a much heavier and more tense environment). The sets, costumes and props are good and in keeping with the time and context. I didn't see any anachronism errors. The soundtrack, signed by James Horner, is memorable and stays in the ear.
swiftexileeeJan 25, 2022
One of the most excellent movies ever made. For me, the movie didn't turn out sympathizing the perpetrators, as what the critics said. It's about how the tables turned. Using the innocency of a child to convey the sad outcome of the movie isOne of the most excellent movies ever made. For me, the movie didn't turn out sympathizing the perpetrators, as what the critics said. It's about how the tables turned. Using the innocency of a child to convey the sad outcome of the movie is mind-blowing. Very intelligent but painful and tragically beautiful movie. Expand
Deadshot159Dec 11, 2021
Amazing movie, story was perfectly made and sad. Historically it wasnt so accurate, which is one and only downside. But most of the historical unaccuraties were small.
DawdlingPoetNov 21, 2021
I liked that this film came from the childs angle, or view, showing how parents shielded kids from the reality of war, or more specifically of course concentration camps. I remember being quite frustrated with how much we were taught aboutI liked that this film came from the childs angle, or view, showing how parents shielded kids from the reality of war, or more specifically of course concentration camps. I remember being quite frustrated with how much we were taught about the camps, the holocaust and the tragedy that was World War II in general, while in secondary school. In it being shown from a German childs point of view, it certainly tackles a very disturbing time, in a slightly different way to which im used to watching, which is why it interested me, also (admittedly) knowing its a 12 rate I presumed it wouldn't be too graphic, as ive seen enough graphic footage from that time, or depictions of such, for my liking. I liked seeing the boys inquisitiveness and the awkward reactions from relatives when quizzed about what went on in 'the farm'. The plot moves pretty slowly I suppose but I liked how it unfolded, with him slowly realising that things aren't what they first appear, becoming more unsettled and curious, even openly challenging the biased nationalistic teachings he's given from a presumed private tutor.

On a basic level, I liked the innocence of the boy and the way he quickly and easily bonded with the Jewish boy, Schmuel - there's obviously a great sense of innocence and humanity conveyed. Of course this could come across as very sugary sweet and even over bearingly melodramatic but I felt it was handled well, with some hard hitting dialogue, Bruno being told the usual anti-Jewish propaganda, that 'the Jew' aka the entire race(!) are 'evil vermin', which he clearly knows is nonsense from his short but poignant conversations from the other side of the electrified camp fence - he even challenges this by asking/saying basically but there are nice Jews too, aren't there?. There is music used at key points but its quite subtle and not as over the top as it certainly could have been overall. It is, however, still very much an emotional movie, as you can probably imagine. At one point Bruno feels intimidated when confronted by a solider in his own home - one of his own people, who seems so authoritarian and cold to him, that he doesn't want to anger and so says what he believes is expected of him at that time, to 'toe the line' - I didn't feel such scenes were ruined by a ridiculous over use of musical score, although it does feature at times but as I say its quite subtle for the most part. The movie runs for approximately an hour and a half long, so its certainly pretty short, especially for a war based movie. There are some scenes that may make you flinch but there isn't the graphic violence that there could be, or that features in other war movies of course - thankfully so, as far as I'm concerned. I found it interesting the way the plot developed, there are some interesting twists, which would potentially spoil the movie to go into detail about but ill put it this way, some adults are more aware of the full truth than others. I found it interesting the difference between Bruno and his sister, she being more aware and accepting, or embracing, of the then political standpoint. Overall, I'd say the men came off worse than the women though, with Bruno being the exception.

I thought this was a very watchable movie, of course elements of it are grim but I found myself curious to see how events played out, to see Bruno's take on it and how others treated him and handled the situation. I liked that there did seem to be a sense of hope present, from the way that Bruno so basically and without qualms became friends with the prisoner and his drive to help him as the film continued, which I felt really gave a good sense of empathy, the fact that kids look at things and basically see people on such a basic, human level, if that makes sense?.
drlowdonFeb 17, 2018
The eight year old son of a Nazi officer in charge of a WWII concentration camp strikes up an unlikely friendship with a young Jewish boy of the same age being held captive in the camp.

A lot of criticism has been aimed at this movie for

A lot of criticism has been aimed at this movie for sanitizing and failing to convey the true horrors of the Nazi concentration camps, and I can’t really argue with that. The movie is well made however (although I don’t understand why everyone talks in a middle class English accent!) with excellent performances from the two young friends could act as a good starting point for introducing the subject to younger people and promoting further discussion, which in my mind can only a good thing.
naftalimJun 17, 2019
I am the son of a highly traumatized survivor of Auschwitz and Mauthausen whose extended family were murdered by the Nazis. This kind of movie is super critical as it allows people, especially those with little or no knowledge to askI am the son of a highly traumatized survivor of Auschwitz and Mauthausen whose extended family were murdered by the Nazis. This kind of movie is super critical as it allows people, especially those with little or no knowledge to ask questions and learn. Movies with lots of dead bodies and "realism" will not be seen by these people. Expand
ConsultButtonJan 17, 2019
This film does NOT sympathize with Nazi Germany. Instead, it shows true evil from the eyes of the innocent. It is evil because it is evil. There is no bias through the eyes of a child, only a need to understand and to learn. Furthermore, itThis film does NOT sympathize with Nazi Germany. Instead, it shows true evil from the eyes of the innocent. It is evil because it is evil. There is no bias through the eyes of a child, only a need to understand and to learn. Furthermore, it shows that children seek their own like if for no other reason than for human contact. And if proving your friendship means walking into an unforeseen and unexpected fate, so be it. This film is meant to show us the consequences of committing truly evil acts. Lying to your child to protect them doesn't work, and lying to yourself that people aren't human because they're different doesn't work either. A human being is a human being, regardless of age, sex, or beliefs. Too often now, I believe viewers watch films that end "happily ever after." The reality is: not everything ends happily. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas forces viewers to think in a realistic way, which clearly has some critics upset. We all seek understanding and comfort from our brethren, and I believe that this film shows us what we, as the human race, need more than anything else on Earth: companionship. It shows us that we'll do anything to find and keep those who mean the most to us. Expand
hardrock302Apr 23, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is an excellent example of emotional manipulation. It manipulates the audience into feeling sympathy for the family of Nazis based on two impossible conditions. It is based on the idea that the son of a SS Commandant would be completely oblivious to Nazi racial politics, and that a young Jewish boy would be left alive at Auschwitz or allowed to go anywhere near the fence. Both of these ideas are complete falsehoods and utterly impossible. During the period Auschwitz was killing Jews and other people deemed undesirable, enrollment in the Hitler youth would have been mandatory. It is impossible for the main character, Bruno, to escape indoctrination in that circumstance. He would have hated the Jews and never would have considered fraternizing with one of them. The Jewish child would have been immediately gassed as he is too young to work at the camp. If not that, he would have been shot or electrocuted for going anywhere near the fence. When the German child is killed in the end of the film, many reviews claim having felt sympathy and sorrow for his Nazi family. Need I remind anyone that these people are responsible for this genocide and are, at the very least, complicit!? This film is incredibly dangerous as it is either a clever masterstroke of emotional manipulation showing how easily a viewing audience can be seduced or a pathetic and horrendous cash-grab and misrepresentation of history. This film should be shunned or viewed with enormous prior historical context and as much annotation as Mein Kampf. Expand
KaterynaMelnykAug 15, 2017
The film "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" is a historical period drama based on the novel of the same name by Irish writer John Boyne. The film was directed by Mark Herman. It stars Asa Butterfield as a young German boy Bruno, David ThewlisThe film "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" is a historical period drama based on the novel of the same name by Irish writer John Boyne. The film was directed by Mark Herman. It stars Asa Butterfield as a young German boy Bruno, David Thewlis as Bruno's father, a high-ranking Nazi officer, Ralf and Jack Scanlon as Jewish boy. The film is set in Budapest during the Second World War. It is essentially about the Holocoust through the eyes of a 9-year-old boy. At first a young boy Bruno lives with his family in Berlin in Nazi Germany but then they have to relocate to the countryside home that is walled off from a "farm" in the far distance. In fact, this farm is a concentration camp and the Bruno's father is a commmandant of the camp. Bruno's mother is kept in the dark for a long time about her husband's murderous duties. One day, Bruno goes beyond the wall, eventually arriving at an electric barbed wire surrounding the camp. There he befriends a Jewish boy, Shmuel. But their friendship is fatal... I strongly recommend this unforgettable and poignant film, not only for pleasure but also for educational purposes. People and especially children should know the unspeakable truth about crucial historical events. Moreover, because of the little boy this film makes you feel the whole horror of that time and understand that we can not allow the same terrifying things to happen. Expand
cmoelmannAug 14, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is about the concentration camps in the view of an 8-year-old boy whose Nazi father is in charge of the camp. I like that you see the perspective of the Nazi's and that they were ordinary families (even though they had English accents). The problem with this movie is that Bruno, the main character, is so naive and never has any idea what the camps are despite living next to one for months. It's very unrealistic as he sneaks away from his home every day to visit another 8-year-old boy inside the concentration camp, who would never be able to sit next to the fence all day. The over-protective mother would have realized at least once her child was not in the backyard. The two boys sitting on either side of the fence stick their hands through several times and even dig underneath at one point. They certainly would have been shocked to death. The fact that neither one understands that people are killed, though when we enter it's plainly obvious, is hard to believe. It's so unrealistic neither children have any clue what's going on. It's unrealistic the mother doesn't realize her child leaves the house every day. While I really wanted to like this movie, things just don't add up. Expand
CineAutoctonoApr 24, 2017
"The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" was an experimental film, where we reflected the suffering of the Jews captive by the Germans in World War II, the history reflected was very good and very moving, especially the sad end of the film and the"The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" was an experimental film, where we reflected the suffering of the Jews captive by the Germans in World War II, the history reflected was very good and very moving, especially the sad end of the film and the Message that conveys us through friendship. Expand
NedRyerson1Feb 9, 2012
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is one of those emotional movies that you could easily put together with films like My Sister Keeper, A walk to Remember or Remember Me, but the thing that separates this picture from the bunch is that theThe Boy in the Striped Pajamas is one of those emotional movies that you could easily put together with films like My Sister Keeper, A walk to Remember or Remember Me, but the thing that separates this picture from the bunch is that the conflict is more believable and it involves historical events, so it approaches more to reality.
There are three situations that add strength to the plot, the first one is the way in which Bruno sees the world that surrounds him and according to this he lives his life, the point of view and judgment of this boy is incredible because is pure, innocent and not influence by common sense or human reason. Second it is the relationship between Bruno’s parents; this is special because the father hides info about his work to the mother, so when she discovers want the Germans are truly doing, the mother sinks into depression. Finally the paradox in which is trapped Bruno; what he learns about the Jews from his father, tutor and the books, is confronted by the experiences that tells Shmuel. This movie is heartbreaking, beautiful and amazing; it has well developed sequences and great performances, highlighting the one of Vera Farmiga.
homer4presidentMay 29, 2016
Mediocre and awkward acting is what keeps me from giving this movie a good score. Even the camera work was a bit wonky and in some scenes the camera randomly cuts.
EpicLadySpongeApr 11, 2016
Just remember if there's anything related to World War II, we would all know that we were all expecting this to be great, but generic flops and misfires there and here ruined it, causing this to just be an average flick for average peopleJust remember if there's anything related to World War II, we would all know that we were all expecting this to be great, but generic flops and misfires there and here ruined it, causing this to just be an average flick for average people (not moviegoers). Expand
nahtan1244Feb 27, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A Gripping and powerful movie. This films incredible acting has been overshadowed by it's overwhelming comments about historical accuracy which is such a shame. The boy in striped pajamas offers us a movie drama where the power of a young boy's feelings can over comes those who try to brain wash him into thinking jews are bad. Never have I been so moved by a movie before. This movie does not end happily so bring tissues if you tend to cry in movies. Asa butterfild does a fantastic job as the boy of a rich family who creates a bond with a Jewish boy who is in a Nazi concentration camp who also plays his role fabulously. Now don't get me wrong this movie has not been getting panned by critics and audiences alike butt 69% on rotten tomato's a 55 on metacritic come on guys really. Check this movie out but bring tissues it's fabulous. Expand
SEROJJun 29, 2015
One of the most emotional movies i've ever seen. Experience the World War II through the eyes of a german child. And you won't regret! I give this movie a 8/10
MeritCobaMay 23, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Father has an important job to do, that is why he wears a grey uniform with lots of pips and stripes and a death's head on his cap. It is such a pretty uniform and it's such a nice house and everyone is so nice, so typical Arian nice(pigtails).
Well outwardly because underneath it all the perfect Nazi family has troubles(they have to). Nevertheless son Bruno happily goes out exploring and meets this other boy near a barb wired fence. Bruno at one side, in his typical little boys outfit, and Shmuel at the other side, in his striped pyjamas. Lucky for the story there is just one fence, and not three as at Auschwitz and, as the script will have it, there are no guards intervening in the broad daylight meetings. A relation develops. One eight year old boy belonging to the master race, and the other eight year old boy from the subhuman race, bonding, just like normal boys do everywhere..
Of course it had to end bad. Bruno digs a hole under the fence and joins Shmuel at the other side(why not the other way around?), and then together they are marched of to the showers. Father is too late to intervene. A stack of clothes is all that is left of little Bruno.
I wonder what would have happened if Father had made it in time? Get Bruno out, spank him for being disobedient and then send him to bed without dinner? Would he have ordered Shmuel released or have him beaten to death for luring his Arian son into a lethal situation?
And then what happens?
Does father quit his job now he realizes what horrible things he does? Does mamma divorce him or curse him for the rest of his life?
Has he all the Jews released?
Does he kill himself?
Does he kill Himmler?
What impact has this?

It is hard to judge a movie that means well, but is it really necessary to make up an unlikely story because you want to get the point across that killing people in extermination camps is bad? What is exactly the point of this particular story? Why does it exist? Is it made because it is more horrid that eight year old boys get gassed? Is it made because sweet little Arian Bruno get's gassed by accident?
And why have the boys killed at all?
Cause that is better?
Perhaps it would have been better if father had intervened in time or a guard:. "Hey, aren't you the camp commandant's son?" And Bruno gets pulled away from Shmuel, survives and now knows what a horrible man his father is and what is even more: his father knows he knows. Each look into Bruno's eyes will be a mirror to his own abject debasement. Too late Hoess(Auschwitz commander) to confess at your trial that what you did is bad after you killed a million people or so people. Far too late: they shouldn't have allowed you to confess at all.
But perhaps even more eyeopening would have been: Bruno totally indoctrinated by the Nazi lifestyle does not realize at all what is going on. Why should he? He is eight, he has been part of the Nazi culture all his life: he knows no other world: "Just spare Shmuel, dad. He is my friend, not like the rest of them." or "Son, it has to be done.. it is better for the world. Sometimes we have to do things we don't like for the good of the whole.."
And then the cute Jewish boy gets gassed anyway.
And it makes Bruno an emotional timebomb. Everyday his father looks at his son and wonders..at what age will he realize that what I did is horrible?
And if you were making fantasy stories anyway.. why not make a perfect Arian family? Just like their propaganda wanted you to belief? The contrast between this perfect well functioning beautiful totally Nazi family and the situation in the death camps would have been bigger. And once Bruno knows.. then have the troubles start.
Or not.
Why not have Bruno forget about Shmuel and have the happy Nazi family go on with their perfect life deliberately oblivious to what is happening some hundred meters away from them, because they do not want to know. Like was typical in Germany?
And perhaps they have Shmuel for their pet Jewish houseboy? The only Jew to survive because he is the friend of Bruno and once Bruno has enough of him...
Now that would have been a chilling movie.
hoffesthApr 21, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Until the last 5 minutes, this was definitely a movie that completely oversimplified the horror of the Holocaust. However, the performances by the 2 lead young actors were incredible. Also the oversimplification and relatively lighter nature of this film relative to the subject matter (compared to Schindler's list, etc.) make it a important lesson that children to watch. Expand
Theiceman21588Aug 7, 2014
I give this movie a two simply because I made it to the end without shutting it off and because I truly believe the message was no one is born with a predisposition for hate by showing World War Two from the perspective of children. TerriblyI give this movie a two simply because I made it to the end without shutting it off and because I truly believe the message was no one is born with a predisposition for hate by showing World War Two from the perspective of children. Terribly inaccurate and unrealistic. Holocaust fantasy movies should not exist. Expand
StevenFJun 23, 2013
With a film like The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, there are countless and sometimes ignorant historical inaccuracies, however these can be easily looked past when there are issues being dealt with here that outline one simple thing, humanWith a film like The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, there are countless and sometimes ignorant historical inaccuracies, however these can be easily looked past when there are issues being dealt with here that outline one simple thing, human error and judgement.
It's really down to the basic truth that those who committed the atrocities of the Holocaust during the second World War were indeed human beings, the SS, the unfortunate victims of the concentration camps were all human beings and not monsters or what not. This movie makes the atrocities very gritty as we see the son of an SS Commandant (David Thewlis) in charge of one of these camps befriend a young boy within the confinements, dressed in what the soldiers son Bruno (Asa Butterfield) believes to be striped pyjamas, completely oblivious as to what is really going on.
The more humanly and realistic tone comes from this soldier and his family, a very comfortable family with a wife and two children, a girl aged 12 who is simply doing what she is told and who falls even more deeply for the Third Reich as each day passes. There is also the Commandant's wife, who is unaware exactly what her husband's work consists of. She tries unsuccessfully for Bruno to enjoy their new home, but of course unbeknownst to her he is spending his time quite recklessly at the barbed wire fence of the camp and bringing food to this boy the same age as him, similar in curiosity, but these two have led very different lives, a pecking order if you will.
David Thewlis playing the SS Commandant is quite the predicament indeed in terms of explaining what he is like in the role. When we become aware of his job and what his intentions are, there is shock to be had because of his humanity, which is either shedding light on these soldiers simply following orders or a poorly placed character, because at the end of the day, these people are murderers.
This is exactly where the film is at its best, it never necessarily cares about the political motivation of any of the characters, but showing the point of view of these two innocent and caught in the middle children, they don't quite know why they are where they are, but they soon add up that not everything is right.
An historically questionable but ultimately powerful film of friendship and humanity, that never fails to break the heart.
tolis947Jun 16, 2012
This movie was simply amzing. The story was heartbreaking and teached many moral values such as that doing something bad will haunt you for the rest of your life. The cast was awesome, whith Butterfield playing his first ( and best ) role ofThis movie was simply amzing. The story was heartbreaking and teached many moral values such as that doing something bad will haunt you for the rest of your life. The cast was awesome, whith Butterfield playing his first ( and best ) role of his career. I really dont know what else to say, simply a masterpiece that every teenager and adult should watch, whether he likes nazis or not. Expand
nascentFeb 1, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I find the ending disgustingly manipulative, and soils the rest of the film, which otherwise is a decent yet unmemorable experience. Are we meant to be sad that a non-Jew kid has accidentally been taken to extermination with the Jews? The idea that THAT is the reason people love/cry at this movie sickens me. It's ok that the thousands of Jews at that camp were incinerated? but one little non-jew kid gets killed too and suddenly we have a tragedy? Expand
RegOzJan 28, 2012
This is an excellent movie..It is somehow unrealistic and historically innacurate, but still delightful- in spite of its sadness! The Boy in the Striped pajama is powerfully touching! Children's performances are outstanding. The script isThis is an excellent movie..It is somehow unrealistic and historically innacurate, but still delightful- in spite of its sadness! The Boy in the Striped pajama is powerfully touching! Children's performances are outstanding. The script is beautiful. A bit like a fairy tale, and some may argue that the movie has been manipulated to attract audiences, and they may be right, but it is still a film that we should all see once. Expand
rotkuAug 31, 2011
I haven't read the book so i cannot compare the two however I found the film was an excellent look at the holocaust from the eyes of a child. For me the main let down in film was the ever so posh English accents on most of the cast inI haven't read the book so i cannot compare the two however I found the film was an excellent look at the holocaust from the eyes of a child. For me the main let down in film was the ever so posh English accents on most of the cast in particular the "German" family and I think if the movie had been filmed in German with English subtitles it could have become a classic. Expand
jimmytancrediMay 29, 2011
Beautiful and scary, at the same time. Actually, only for the fact of making films about fictional events in 2nd War became something cult. Even up to quite tiring. But what to say about this production in particular, among many others of theBeautiful and scary, at the same time. Actually, only for the fact of making films about fictional events in 2nd War became something cult. Even up to quite tiring. But what to say about this production in particular, among many others of the genre? First, it's curious that a film based on a book has only 90 minutes long. But this is not something that points the lack of content or material. On the contrary. There are movies that can perfectly flush this out and just The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas achieves that success. The film primarily deals with the innocence of a child, and this can be modeled as negatively in the wrong hands. And the narrative axis has support precisely in fraternal relationship between the boys, both in extremely opposite but at the same time demonstrating profound ignorance of everything that is happening. And of course, not unworthy of the supporting cast, which is a rather considerable, as can be seen with the judel Pavel, showing fear and constant insecurity. We have one final daring by today's standards, but that is precisely what generates all the impact on the viewer (yes, all), so that a passing sensation of pain, both physical and mental. Even though it is fictional, it does point out all the humiliation and brutality that millions of Jews suffered. Expand
MichaelDMay 13, 2011
The movie was ok. It didn't exactly grab my full attention and I read the book before watching the movie and I prefer the book rather than the movie.
RyanLopezApr 15, 2011
This movie made me cry, it was just so damn sad, how bad those **** Nazis treated those poor, innocent Jews. I know that's what it was like in World War II, this movie made me cry over and over again
monkeybrainspitMar 2, 2011
â
PjotrSep 4, 2010
I admit I only saw this movie on DVD...and am really embarrassed. When it's all good intentions, but deeply unhistorical, you probably have to call it a kitsch feast. But then again, given the earnest and sensitive subject. I'd rather call itI admit I only saw this movie on DVD...and am really embarrassed. When it's all good intentions, but deeply unhistorical, you probably have to call it a kitsch feast. But then again, given the earnest and sensitive subject. I'd rather call it stupid and obscene. Nazi officials during the war, dancing to English swing music...had always thought that members of the illegal "swing youth" were imprisoned and persecuted. A Nazi family praying in public! A Jewish boy playing by the fence, when in all the camps, approaching the fence meant being shot. No fairy tales about the holocaust, please. Expand
ERG1008Aug 23, 2010
World War II, Boy's Father gets promotion, family move from Berlin to the country, misses friends, meets a boy on a "farm", becomes friends.
Great film which is enjoyable, powerful & upsetting. Very good acting throughout (Asa Butterfield is very impressive) & although you know what is going to happen, it's still quite shocking.
EricZAug 14, 2009
It was a harsh ending, but well done. The actors were incredible.
PeteTMay 2, 2009
Awful, awful, awful. I'm not heartless. Parts of it are touching of course, but it's terribly done. It's like Shindler's List for kids, expect I'd never show it to kids (and I'm a teacher).
0 of 4 users found this helpful
mauriciolApr 12, 2009
Very goood movie, really sad and kept me really interested through out the hole movie.
EricCApr 8, 2009
Beautifully done! It made me cry twice.
1 of 3 users found this helpful
JayH.Mar 4, 2009
Beautifully made and acted. The story is a bit familiar and it's pretty easy to see where the film is going. Still, it's very poignant. Excellent cinematography. It's a fine film overall.
AnnD.Jan 5, 2009
I thought the movie was wonderful. A poignant tale involving the bigotry of the adults and the innocence of the children. The ending was heart wrenching but necessary for the punch!
1 of 1 users found this helpful
CynthiaC.Dec 14, 2008
This was the best film I've seen this year, for acting, cinematography and content. Very powerful.
garysDec 8, 2008
The movie builds slowly but effectively to one of the more gripping 15 minutes of film I've seen. There are certain conceits: how poorly guarded is the camp's perimeter, primarily; also, how no one misses little Bruno during his The movie builds slowly but effectively to one of the more gripping 15 minutes of film I've seen. There are certain conceits: how poorly guarded is the camp's perimeter, primarily; also, how no one misses little Bruno during his visits, though seemingly so closely watching him. The ending leaves mixed emotion. The father's "punishment," but at such a price. Expand
TonyB.Dec 6, 2008
Viewed from any angle, this is an excellent film with an ending as devastating as you're ever likely to see.
LauraN.Nov 25, 2008
Excellent movie. Well written and well acted. Completely envelopes you in the story until it's too late. Serves as a reminder to not forget the holocaust and makes you wonder if other Germans felt as the mother did.
JSteinNov 23, 2008
I can see why the NY Times called it "kitsched up," but I think some of the reviews are overly harsh. If I had a teenage child I would take them to see this as part of a broader discussion of the Holocaust.
DanS.Nov 21, 2008
Gripping drama. Outstanding.
DavidNov 16, 2008
This film should not have been made. Although it's intentions were good, the end result was not good.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
ChristinaB.Nov 13, 2008
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas gives a new perspective from which to examine the Holocaust. While somebody might think that it sympathizes with Nazi Germany, it instead shows how easily mankind can justify such horrible violence. Like the The Boy in the Striped Pajamas gives a new perspective from which to examine the Holocaust. While somebody might think that it sympathizes with Nazi Germany, it instead shows how easily mankind can justify such horrible violence. Like the two innocent and young main characters, we begin to wonder why humans hurt one another. The last 5 minutes are the saddest moments of a film I have ever seen, but they are powerful and thought-provoking and really help bring back to light the devastation that the war brought to an entire people. For many of us who have heard lecture after lecture about the Holocaust in history class, this movie will help it all click... and probably make you cry in the process. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful