Columbia Pictures | Release Date: February 7, 2014
5.4
Mixed or average reviews based on 230 Ratings
Watch Now
Trev29Jun 22, 2014
It was far worse than I was anticipating and I didn't have high expectations to begin with. Terribly written screenplay. George Clooney seemed totally incompetent about the components that make a good movie.
tempamaticFeb 19, 2014
I wanted to like this movie, but it felt like a third-rate Disney movie from the '60s. Clooney tried too hard to make art history interesting with lame and corny humor, self-indulgent closeups and a peculiar whistling-music soundtrack thatI wanted to like this movie, but it felt like a third-rate Disney movie from the '60s. Clooney tried too hard to make art history interesting with lame and corny humor, self-indulgent closeups and a peculiar whistling-music soundtrack that was slathered all over the film like too much mayonnaise on a southern hot dog.

If not for Kate Blanchett's convincing performance as a French art curator, the whole thing would have been a disappointment. Worst of all, this unfortunate waste of a stellar cast was boring. Save your time and money.
csw12Jun 24, 2014
The movie quickly went from being boring to flat our irritating. This proves once again that George Clooney can't direct or write a film if his life depended on it. A humorless idiotic film.
VoldieJun 22, 2014
Boring, badly written and illogical. Directed for your Average Joe who has no idea about WW2 history and attention span of a chicken.

And of course US won WW2, because allies attacked Germany even from Poland side as it was explained at the beginning of the movie. Russians were just making angry faces and stealing art. Because Russians.

Not mentioning that lots of military-related things shown were just plain idiotic and unrealistic.

Clooney should stick to acting, he's much better at it.

Waste of time and money.
mrmonsterJun 8, 2014
This if officially the worst war movie I have ever seen. I completely understand why both then users and the critics hated this disastrous movie. All in all, it didn't even make sense. The Monuments Men is just a waste of time.
TantricSkyFeb 26, 2014
I didn't expect this to be great, but given the cast and sure-fire subject matter, I thought it would be at least passably entertaining. Wrong- it was dull, insipid, humorless, uneven in tone, and at times just plain idiotic.
melanie1Mar 15, 2014
BOARING historically a documentary with no action and long and nothing to hold your attention don't bother watching it In fact the whole story was slow and hard to follow with scenes that had nothing to do with the story line it just seemedBOARING historically a documentary with no action and long and nothing to hold your attention don't bother watching it In fact the whole story was slow and hard to follow with scenes that had nothing to do with the story line it just seemed to be fillers Expand
amheretojudgeSep 24, 2019
The heist isn't thrilling, the jokes aren't funny, the drama isn't moving and the film is long.

The Monuments Men I sympathize with Clooney. Especially his films. An actor turned director, George Clooney draws a lot from current generation,

The Monuments Men

I sympathize with Clooney. Especially his films. An actor turned director, George Clooney draws a lot from current generation, my generation directors, which I can see. And hence also regret. Take just the Coen Brothers, for instance. And specifically their projects hovering around their obsession of nailing down the best comic film. That is not to say, in any way that they aren't good. It's just that compared to their dramatic ventures, these ones feels outdated and short handed on possibly everything. And Clooney coming from that same field, grows his fruits with those same expectations and instead fails more miserably than they ever do.

Comedy of errors is the genre it is often mentioned under, and error it comes out. And the theory of passing the artistic skills like materialistic possession comes alive in this film like no other. Another fine example is the electrifying resemblance between Clint Eastwood's The Bridges Of Madison County and Bradley Cooper's A Star Is Born. Now, Clooney's latest exploration resembles eerily with his own collaboration in Steven Soderberg's Ocean's Trilogy.

But what it is subtexted- not actually!- is a pretty loud metaphor that they, now that I think- shouldn't have mentioned to keep it nuanced. Instead to reach a higher level, the film wishes to have Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds like narration. Remember that sweat inducing conversations that marked a whole new scale on the "close call" term. But no one can do it like Tarantino does. Clooney gets a nod from us for his attempts and that is it. The Monuments Men is everything a guy at the stage and state of his career like Clooney, could pull off. And that is good, he and his fellow actors live by the big name they come with, the material though, ironically, lacks art.
WG_FaulknerFeb 8, 2014
This movie was so bad that I rooted for the Nazis. George Clooney usually has such good judgment and taste, but this was flatter than a xerox of a Van Gogh.
radiobreathFeb 9, 2014
Perhaps one of the worst movies I have paid money to see since my wife dragged me to Yentil. The only thing that would have made this movie more hoary would have been if Babs had been cast in lieu of Cate Blanchett. Great cast andPerhaps one of the worst movies I have paid money to see since my wife dragged me to Yentil. The only thing that would have made this movie more hoary would have been if Babs had been cast in lieu of Cate Blanchett. Great cast and interesting story. Just a complete dud as entertainment. Expand
deadsparrowFeb 15, 2014
There actually was an Allied unit whose purpose was to recover art stolen and looted by the Nazis However, this movie has nothing to do with that unit though its claim to be 'based on a true story' might lead you to think otherwise. This isThere actually was an Allied unit whose purpose was to recover art stolen and looted by the Nazis However, this movie has nothing to do with that unit though its claim to be 'based on a true story' might lead you to think otherwise. This is a George Clooney 'caper' move; a sort of Ocean's 7 versus the Nazis tale. It has a cast of big name stars who must have absorbed 99% of whatever it cost to make because there doesn't appear to be a script. The story, such as it is, is a series of alternately maudlin and banal vignettes intended to illustrate the characters of Clooney's team and, by means of a voice over, Clooney's relationship to them. Put them all together, and its a crappy movie, a vanity project. I want my money back! Expand
oDjentoJan 19, 2015
What was Clooney thinking. This film was dreadful. With almost no pacing evident, a rippes off dads army vibe that's been americanised, and one very annoying scene ripped straight from full metal jacket with a lighter outcome due to its 12What was Clooney thinking. This film was dreadful. With almost no pacing evident, a rippes off dads army vibe that's been americanised, and one very annoying scene ripped straight from full metal jacket with a lighter outcome due to its 12 rating. The tone is also all over the place, not knowing whether it is a historical biographical piece, a comedy, a drama or a war film. The comedy that does happen always falls flat. The acting overall is pretty average, however Cate Blanchett is still very believable in the film. Also, typical american film killing off the British and french characters, nice one Clooney. Overall the way most scenes are directed are fairly awful, with little direction really. With a brilliant cast, this film disappoints on many levels. Lastly, transitions from one scene to another is so terrible and sloppy that it's actually a frustrating watch. Oh and also, that ending was suh a rip off of Kelly's Heroes. Obviously Clooney watched Kelly's Heroes and wanted to direct his own version. I usually love Clooney, but this truly makes me angry at him. I sighed. A lot. Expand
JulesCalesMar 21, 2014
The adaptation of the true Monuments Men's story is bad. In fact, George Clooney did not take the best angle for his story. The screenplay is based only on two artistics painting.
diogomendesDec 8, 2014
Well casted and filmed, but thoroughly unoriginal and tedious, "Monuments Men" wastes all of its potential in a clunky narrative and a tone without consistency.
HotelCentralSep 9, 2015
Just watch Frankenheimer's "The Train." Virtually nothing in it actually happened but it succeeds where "Monuments Men" utterly fails, in that you will give a damn about the characters in the film, and you will gain a sense for why peopleJust watch Frankenheimer's "The Train." Virtually nothing in it actually happened but it succeeds where "Monuments Men" utterly fails, in that you will give a damn about the characters in the film, and you will gain a sense for why people would risk their lives to save art. Also, "The Train" has an actual plot.

"Monuments Men", by contrast, makes extensive use of comic relief. Never a good sign.
BroyaxJan 7, 2017
A première vue, mettre en lumière cet aspect assez singulier de la Seconde Guerre Mondiale est une bonne idée mais à première vue seulement, car l'exécution et la mise en oeuvre sont à la rue. Il ne s'agit pas de considérations techniquesA première vue, mettre en lumière cet aspect assez singulier de la Seconde Guerre Mondiale est une bonne idée mais à première vue seulement, car l'exécution et la mise en oeuvre sont à la rue. Il ne s'agit pas de considérations techniques comme la mise en scène au sens strict (plutôt appliquée) ou la reconstitution de la période (si souvent reconstituée par Hollywood) mais bien du scénario (à la masse) et de l'approche choisie (qu'est-ce que c'est que ce truc ? une putain de comédie ?).

Monuments machin est donc peu crédible et souvent chiant, en plus de se révéler superficiel, pontifiant et donneur de leçons... et maladroit avec ça ! En outre, Clooney derrière la caméra, pourquoi pas, mais devant, certainement pas ; lorsque de surcroît Matt "tronchedecon" Damon s'en vient polluer une bonne partie du film avec sa médiocrité crasse intrinsèque, ça devient carrément pénible.

Dujardin pour sa part est venu faire un petit tour et puis s'en va, le rôle du français faire-valoir comme d'habitude ; seul Goodman (qui me semble avoir maigri) tire un peu son épingle du jeu, Bill Murray étant "absent". Quant à la radasse blonde sur le retour, je ne ferai -Dieu m'en garde- aucun commentaire...

En conclusion, nous tenons là un monument de merde que personne n'emportera, si ce n'est pour le jeter dans le broyeur.