Universal Pictures | Release Date: June 9, 2017
4.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 453 Ratings
Watch Now
QuietlionmusicNov 18, 2017
This mummy reboot wasn't amazing by any means, but I didn't actually hate it. I found myself mindlessly entertained, just taking everything in stride while watching it.
badgerryan19Jul 30, 2017
I thought there were some good moments in this movie. The movie had some intense scenes and was enjoyable at parts. The movie also had some cringe worthy moments too. Tom Cruise does a fine job, but once again he is playing Tom Cruise in thisI thought there were some good moments in this movie. The movie had some intense scenes and was enjoyable at parts. The movie also had some cringe worthy moments too. Tom Cruise does a fine job, but once again he is playing Tom Cruise in this movie. Also Russell Crowe plays a small part but a surprising role, which I had no idea of. Now Jake Johnson's character never should of been in the movie and is not a good addition to it. The mummy played by Sofia Boutella is clearly the stand out here. She is very good and gives a lot of tension to the movie. She seems to be really good in everything she plays and is becoming quite a star at least in my eyes. I do feel if this movie wasn't called the mummy it would have been reviewed a little better. The movie wasn't as bad as some reviews and I think people should give it a watch. Expand
EduBJun 22, 2017
I went to watch the movie thinking it was going to be really bad, but that's not what I saw; The film, yes, it is not excellent and not good, but it is not bad; Compared to the 1999 film is much lower; We started with the presentation of theI went to watch the movie thinking it was going to be really bad, but that's not what I saw; The film, yes, it is not excellent and not good, but it is not bad; Compared to the 1999 film is much lower; We started with the presentation of the characters, in the beginning until they have nothing wrong, what really takes is that at the beginning of the second act, with the premise of including a universe, the script sins; Putting that old story about good and bad; After that the film is totally lost; The end of the third act is utterly flawed, not because it is bad; But by the way it is even arranged; But I say I was surprised by that; Even so the 1999 film is much better; In the old film; Had a whole history and mystical objects that interested the telescope; But in this the story comes down to very little; I felt a flaw in this direction but I hope I have another movie that counts more because I liked it too much about what can be raised in this universe .... Expand
FlexedacornJun 21, 2017
I went in with low expectations due to reading the early movie reviews. I felt indifferent after watching. The movie itself had me up until 2/3's of the way in, at which point the 3rd act just felt rushed. I rated it as a 5 to show as aI went in with low expectations due to reading the early movie reviews. I felt indifferent after watching. The movie itself had me up until 2/3's of the way in, at which point the 3rd act just felt rushed. I rated it as a 5 to show as a standalone film it was just an OK, not bad or great. It really did feel as a setup movie for future Monster verse films. In regards to the acting, Jake Johnson was great for comedic relief and Sofia Boutella performed well as the main antagonist. I’m not a huge Tom Cruise fan, but I felt he didn’t bring as much charisma in this as opposed to some of his other works. In closing I think it was a passable film. I think the monster movie verse will continue on track as this first film did well in the international box office. Expand
kman5473Jun 10, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A breath of fresh air for the summer action movie blockbuster category by far. I don't know about you, but I've gotten really bored with superheroes. Universal is offering a much edgier, darker monsters universe and I say: "Welcome!"

I was entertained by the movie, but it really does not get good until about halfway through. Tom Cruise does not start acting until that point, and the plot is...clear, but not executed well. Relationships between everyone on-screen feels forced. Cruise had more chemistry with the Mummy than he does with the Blonde woman he is supposed to be---hm, "love" is far too strong of a relationship for whatever it is their relationship is supposed to be. I think all around, it's fun. Is it a good movie all around...no. But there are parts of it that I really liked: the action, the stunts, Russell Crowe, and the woman who played the Mummy is fantastic.
BrianMcCriticJun 10, 2017
A film that starts as a Mummy movie and ends as kind of a mess. Another company sacrificing there film for an extended universe. When are companies going to see what Marvel does and realize you can add elements to an extended universe andA film that starts as a Mummy movie and ends as kind of a mess. Another company sacrificing there film for an extended universe. When are companies going to see what Marvel does and realize you can add elements to an extended universe and style focus on the film that you're making. The Mummy has some interesting things going on early to then be completely overshadowed by The Dark Universe. I love monsters as much as the next guy but the whole second half of your film doesn't need to be setting up the next film. Overall The Mummy is watchable and has some interesting moments but not enough to matter. C Expand
moviemitch96Jun 24, 2017
I didn't even care for the original Mummy trilogy to begin with, and therefore had no intention of checking out this reboot. However, a friend of mine was really wanting me to take him to it, so I gave in. Prior to watching this, as far as II didn't even care for the original Mummy trilogy to begin with, and therefore had no intention of checking out this reboot. However, a friend of mine was really wanting me to take him to it, so I gave in. Prior to watching this, as far as I could tell, this was apparently made for two reasons: 1. It's apparently the first installment in a planned 'dark universe' franchise. And 2. to cash in on Tom Cruise's star power. The result: A noisy, cluttered, and uninspired film that can't make up its mind if it wants to be a fun, quirky action flick, or if it would rather be just plain dark and scary instead. The film shifts back and forth between these two tones quite a bit throughout to the point of becoming rather tiresome. Russell Crowe's talent is pretty much wasted with his corny take on Jekyll and Hyde. On top of all that, the film's very loosely resolved and ridiculous ending had me leaving the theater incredibly unsatisfied. Overall, it only has a couple of entertaining moments, but none of them are very memorable at all and the rest of the film was both a literal and figurative disaster. Expand
MattBrady99Jun 15, 2017
"The Mummy" isn't a bad movie, just a "blah" one. Didn't hate it like everyone else, but liked it on a enjoyment level.

There were many promising elements here that I wouldn't call "great", but ideas that were visible in it's presentation. I must admit that plane crash scene was pretty intense and had my heart racing. Good thing that Cruise screaming from the trailer wasn't in the final cut, because that would easily ruin the scene. Sofia Boutella did a decent job playing the Mummy. And that's really it for me when it comes to positives.

The Dark Universe? Holy crap dose that feel forced. Especially with the logo at the beginning. I know the old monster movies did a shared universe, but the way this was executed was pretty embarrassing. And with "The Mummy" being the first installment for a possible franchise wasn't really a solid start. Making an old classic horror film into a summer blockbuster is the first big mistake the film made. Would have been better if made as a low budget horror movie by A24, but I guess that doesn't sell in foreign markets.

The amount of explanations in here is so abused, it feels like a first time director made this. Again, would have been better with a little visual storytelling for us to pick up on. Like Cruises character is a thief, but instead of showing him doing some thieving, they literally have to tell us loads of times just in case we didn't get it. And it doesn't end there, as we get flashbacks narrated by Russell Crowe for more explanations. Yeah!

Now I've got nothing against Tom Cruise and I never understood why anyone would dislike him. I mean, we've seen him deliver great performances and the level of dedication he puts into the work is unbelievable. But here, he feels so missed cast and it painfully shows. He was just basically playing Tom Cruise and not a character. He wasn't that good in the comedy and intense scenes.

Annabelle Wallis didn't really do anything to stand out. Her and Cruises characters are both morons who do things for shake of pressing the plot. Shes basically damsel in a distress and the worst type.

Even the tone of movie is all over the place. One minute it's trying to be funny with the characters saying one liners and making goofy faces during long pauses, as the audience are suppose to laugh. Then towards the second and third act, it completely takes a tone swift and goes for a serious version of "UNCHARTED".

Overall rating: "The Mummy" is exactly what you expected it to be from the trailers. A mash up of "Mission Impossible" and the 1999 version. Not awful, but nothing that's going to stick with me after a week.
UrbanlistenerJul 2, 2017
Okay summer movie with pretty cool action sequences, some compelling characters and fun visual, but nothing more. The plot doesnt make any sense, some characters are very annoying and bland, cheesy moments and surprisingly a lot of boring scenes.
PeterAlexanderJul 15, 2017
The Mummy is a huge waste of potential, going in a direction it should never have embraced. With the chance to display the magical wonders of Egyptian mystery, the film instead spends most of its time in the Middle East and London. Not toThe Mummy is a huge waste of potential, going in a direction it should never have embraced. With the chance to display the magical wonders of Egyptian mystery, the film instead spends most of its time in the Middle East and London. Not to mention the characters are downright sub-par and the story is mediocre at best. Expand
DannyGJrJun 11, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The Mummy (2017)

The Good: The Hollywood Reporter recently headlined an article, “It’s time for Tom Cruise to Act his Age”, in which the author Josh Spiegel writes, “…, Cruise these days feels more comfortable running himself ragged to prove he hasn’t aged out of action movies yet.”. But Mr. Spiegel, you are so, so, wrong. Mr. Cruise is not trying to prove he hasn’t aged out of action movies yet. Mr. Cruise won’t age out of action for a long time, and if The Mummy is any indication, he will still find ways to wow us. In fact, that’s exactly why Cruise is one of the last great action hero filmmakers. A line that can be drawn directly back to Charlie Chaplin. Have you heard Cruise talk in length about making movies? He’s a total geek. Might I even say an “auteur”. Cruise represents one of the few producers who knows an audience wants to see the star’s face doing those jaw-dropping stunts. (Kevin Costner is one of the few others). Cruise wants you to have a good time. He wants you to suspend your belief. Which is why he completely commits to his roles and has such a famous work ethic. No matter how bad a movie is, if Tom Cruise is in it, he is always going to be part of the good. And in the Mummy, he does not disappoint. His character, Nick, is boyish, funny, and rude. And once the other-worldly curse begins to take hold, we are 100% game to watch him fall out of the sky, get ripped out of a moving van, jump through a bus, and yes, fight an Irish-cockey Russell Crowe. The Bad: Critics would lead you to believe this film is ALL bad. They are wrong. I would rather rate a movie of what it is, not what a critic wants it to be. This movie, much like the classics it originates from, is a hardcore expensive B-movie. This means you will not get slow-building scene work drenched in subtext or an emotional core that will bring you to your knees. What you get is dark twisty humor mixed with 90s cliché’ and a modern take on the mythology of all those monsters you’ve come to know. Our female lead, Annabelle Wallis, is unfortunately flat, providing nothing more than a plot propelling damsel in distress. (Disappointing step backwards given Cruise’s and writer/director Christopher McQuarrie’s terrific job with Rebecca Ferguson’s character in MI: Rogue Nation). The only true bad is the disastrous expositional dialogue throughout and it’s equally horrendous delivery by the usually very funny Jake Johnson. But what truly tops the bad list is the post-production sound mix and editing. The sound mix seemed incomplete, not adding the needed treble to give that extra boost to the action scenes. The editing is strange. I can only imagine the editors (yup, three of ‘em) were struggling with what they had. The production’s rush job to develop it’s own universe may answer why there is such a terrible lack of continuity from shot to shot and misplaced levels pacing throughout. The Ugly: Contrary to what filmmaker Alex Kurtzman has stated, this is not a standalone film. It’s a film setting-up for more Mummy movies and more importantly setting up the Dark Universe. And I love it. The Dark Universe seems to incorporate these characters that share the same past as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but does it on it’s own terms and with the added delight of taking place in present times. Russell Crowe is a blast to watch as Dr. Jekyll and the smaller easter eggs alluding to other well-known characters is fun to find throughout. Like I mentioned before, this is a 90s film, and I love it for that. It’s taking these classic “monsters” and updating them to the current superhero mytho we’ve come to accept as a movie going nation. They should take DCEU’s path, don’t let critics scare you off, keep plowing ahead until it clicks. Now, unlike DCEU, the money in ticket sales might not be there, but even if Universal breaks even, I hope the have the balls to keep moving forward with this planned Universe.
obiewankenobiJun 9, 2017
Just saw the Mummy. This could have been a good movie. There are a few mistakes in the story that make the movie silly or stupid. Spoiler Alert! Russell Crowe as Dr Jekyll / Mr Hyde is ridiculous. Tom Cruise has a side kick that comesJust saw the Mummy. This could have been a good movie. There are a few mistakes in the story that make the movie silly or stupid. Spoiler Alert! Russell Crowe as Dr Jekyll / Mr Hyde is ridiculous. Tom Cruise has a side kick that comes back like a talking zombie from American Werewolf in London. Also, remember the 4 prong syringe from "Edge of Tomorrow?" That same syringe is what keeps Dr. Jekyll from becoming Mr. Hyde. Okay, one more over-done Mummy movie cliche' - that of a sand storm taking on the face shape of the mummy monster. We have seen it too many times - stop doing it. Other than those major issues, I enjoyed the movie. The mummy lady (from Star Trek) is very convincing. Enjoy! Expand
Nobilis1984Jun 12, 2017
Why the bad criticism? For me it is a good average action film with good actors and good effects. Hopefully still there come some continuations. For it the first part simply has too much potential.
BertoflyingfoxJun 9, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I won't pretend to know what others were expecting but boy was this one raked over the coals for being a nice popcorn flick. The stunts were fun and the plot paced itself well for an 1hour and 50min runtime. I dug the world-building and just went with it.

Technically, this movie doesn't reboot the franchise. There are easter eggs galore, one of them being a certain book Brendan Fraser had to deal with back in 1925. I guess critics were too busy seething with hatred over a franchise that has no major comic book publisher attached. I mean who the eff does Universal think they are right?

Anyway, back to the movie. I would place its weakest point in the middle, and even then if that's considered "too much exposition" then congrats, you have the attention span of a fish. I especially like how it ended, leaving a nice opening for whatever comes next.

My take aways are: awesome stunts, it didn't run for too long, decent chuckles, and a fun chase across London. Especially enjoyed the skeleton enemies :p
Compi24Jun 13, 2017
Universal's "Dark Universe" kicks off with a whimper in Alex Kurtzman's "The Mummy," a fairly watchable flick with some solid set pieces, an affable turn from Tom Cruise, and an engaging premise (the key word again - "premise") for aUniversal's "Dark Universe" kicks off with a whimper in Alex Kurtzman's "The Mummy," a fairly watchable flick with some solid set pieces, an affable turn from Tom Cruise, and an engaging premise (the key word again - "premise") for a prospective cinematic world. However, it's the uninspired execution and wonky writing that gets the better of this one, ultimately rendering it into a product with monetary aspirations, rather than a film with creative ones. Still though, if you're just looking for some pure, unadulterated, shove-popcorn-and-snowcaps-in-your-mouth entertainment, this could be the movie for you. I'm just not sure that's exactly what Universal and Co. wanted this to be. Expand
bfoore90Jun 18, 2017
Not as bad as most are making it out to be. Sofia Bouttella is the clear stand out in this film, she does well with the role she is given and delivers a truly terrifying/creepy vibe whenever she is on screen. Some of the action scenes,Not as bad as most are making it out to be. Sofia Bouttella is the clear stand out in this film, she does well with the role she is given and delivers a truly terrifying/creepy vibe whenever she is on screen. Some of the action scenes, especially the sand storm in London were also pretty cool and enjoyable. The movie does suffer from a bit of an identity crisis, almost mirroring that of Batman V Superman and Iron Man 2 before it as it by the time the credits roll feels like a Tom Cruise action flick than a Mummy movie and a potential franchise starter. Also on the bad side, Annabelle Wallis was one of the most pointless aspects of this film. She and Tom Cruise share no chemistry, their relationship feels forced and Cruise acts circles around Wallis almost to the point as if I wondered if she was an extra that wandered onto the set. There is enjoyment to be had here, it's a fun movie once it gets itself going but its just dragged down by stupid flaws that are usually common in movies that are potentially starting a franchise. I had heard reports that Tom Cruise forced studio changes and ran amok behind the scenes and onto the director which explains the identity crisis the film ultimately suffers from. Overall, its a solid film but could have been better if Tom Cruise and the studio had stayed out of the production process. Expand
DudeFromIcelandJun 16, 2017
I was disappointed by this film. Despite the star power of someone like Tom Cruise, it can't save this movie.

The main problem is that it's boring which is the biggest sin any film can make. I expected waaaaay more action that was on offer, it just felt a lot of exposition without any proper pay off at the end of it.

I liked the actress that played the Mummy, she was always a really menacing presence whenever she was on screen but I can't say anybody else was really that memorable in this film.

I wouldn't recommended this one but if you like random jump scares,the Mummy films and the lore then check it out but honestly just skip it.
Jim222001Jun 15, 2017
I never thought I would say Tom Cruise is no Brendan Fraser. Fraser was perfect in a Mummy movie. Since he can handle campy. Cruise is lost with the campy material of this film. Also is lost when the film takes itself seriously. He looks likeI never thought I would say Tom Cruise is no Brendan Fraser. Fraser was perfect in a Mummy movie. Since he can handle campy. Cruise is lost with the campy material of this film. Also is lost when the film takes itself seriously. He looks like he wandered off the set of a Mission Impossible film. The 1999 film aged pretty well and has a great score by the late Jerry Goldsmith. As well as fine effects. While yes even Stephen Sommers was at his best. Maybe Cruise should have took a break from all the "running" and played a vampire again in a Dracula reboot. Since he can play an action hero in his sleep. Also if you want to start a monster universe. Then you start with Dracula or Frankenstein. Expand
Jess_HillJun 15, 2017
Designed to introduce the 'Dark Universe', this lump of meh is a disappointing experience that has some great sequences, but is hampered by an awful script, inconsistent tone, and lack of panache. The cinematography is solid, and some of theDesigned to introduce the 'Dark Universe', this lump of meh is a disappointing experience that has some great sequences, but is hampered by an awful script, inconsistent tone, and lack of panache. The cinematography is solid, and some of the action sequences are inspired. However, whilst the storyline is adequate, the film languishes in mediocrity throughout. It's not a truly terrible film, more a boring one, which simply isn't acceptable in this genre. 5.56/10*

*Go and see Wonder Woman instead/again.
DubeauAug 3, 2017
Cruse has a running sequence in the Mummy but that doesn't elevate the film that much. He plays an antihero like he plays about all his roles and he is not very credible in it. The best characters in this movie is the Mummy itself (Sofia) andCruse has a running sequence in the Mummy but that doesn't elevate the film that much. He plays an antihero like he plays about all his roles and he is not very credible in it. The best characters in this movie is the Mummy itself (Sofia) and Chris Vail (Jake). Vail is killed way too soon and he is the only thing bringing things down to earth. I like that the Mummy played into Nick's head but it is not always presented in a very efficient way. The others actors are average and the story is NOT scary at all. The action is pretty good but the film takes it's time to start. It seems to me that the character of Dr. Hyde wasn't that great. It's justification, the very minimal special effect of his character. They could have given that role to Annabelle and make her so much more interesting. I found myself watching the time after an hour, so...I give it a 40% because the action was decent. Expand
KirvinJun 16, 2017
This was almost a decent movie, but the cheesy cliches made this film boring and hard to watch. In addition to being boring the film failed to deliver the information in a way that was enjoyable to the audience. It had a ton of promise butThis was almost a decent movie, but the cheesy cliches made this film boring and hard to watch. In addition to being boring the film failed to deliver the information in a way that was enjoyable to the audience. It had a ton of promise but just missed the mark because of those mistakes and the fact that Tom Cruise was absolutely terrible didn't help. Now as far as horror, this film gives you chills at moments and Sofia Boutella as the mummy was perfect. Alex Kurtzman definitely provided horror to this remake keeping the feels closer to the original. Sadly just to many dumb lines and misguided zombie friends which makes this film a snoozer. The Dark Universe is in trouble. Expand
dharmaJun 9, 2017
The Mummy is clearly has every potential to be a great film, but it squandered it for setting up the so called 'dark universe' for its studio. With Cruise at the forefront, it is essentially M:I meets Indiana Jones, mixed in with a littleThe Mummy is clearly has every potential to be a great film, but it squandered it for setting up the so called 'dark universe' for its studio. With Cruise at the forefront, it is essentially M:I meets Indiana Jones, mixed in with a little bit of the original. It is entertaining and will probably earn loads of money in the overseas market, but it will probably bomb in the US market, considering that they want a more 'hearty meal' in their viewing habits (hence, its lousy ratings). As it is, The Mummy is designed to thrill you a bit, scare you a bit and let you off the roller coaster ride mildly entertained. But it's equivalent of of eating loads of popcorn, and still wanting a full meal one hour afterwards. Expand
mugen_is_hereOct 18, 2017
I liked the movie overall. At least it's been better than all the previous mummy movies and that is an achievement.

Tom has at least some level of character detail as opposed to Brendan Frazer in the earlier movies where his only dialogues were 1 liners and action sequences.

I also liked the fact that there's little of "wild action" scenes which serve more as a filler and then you forget them because they don't add anything to the plotline.

I can't tell you what I didn't like without giving away spoilers. But I would say that the ending satisfying.
LeZeeNov 4, 2017
The first in the Universal studio's 'Dark Universe'!

The first in the Universal studio's 'Dark Universe'!

If you see the history, the reboots usually fails. It has to be at least half a century old to reboot like 'King Kong'. So the technology advantage would play a major role. It was less than the 20 years, the last 'The Mummy' film had released and pretty impressed everybody with modern visual effects. Even today's young generation getting used to that when it was played on the television. Comparing this to that, there's nothing much other than more perfection in graphics and additional digital 3D. In my opinion, they should have waited another decade.

It was exactly reversed version of the 1999 film. I mean the character designs. Like female mummy coming to life and targeting a man for the ultimate power possession. Two US army men in Iraq found a hidden tomb like structure from the Egyptian era beneath the sand. The recovered ancient coffin shipped to England, but the plane crash down. Since then, an unknown force begins to hunt down one of that two army men. Fighting against it, followed by how the story ends comes in the later parts.

When I first heard about the reboot, I said oh no! Hearing about Tom Cruise's involvement, it became double no! Actually, he was good in the film, but the film was unnecessary at this generation. Even though it did good at the box office, it was considered a decent run. But the studio has a bigger plan, that you would know if you watch the film, that they had already developed a plot for at least two more films with enough characters to carry on that long. If needed, it would add more in the latter. I feel that's a bad idea right now. Watching it one time is not bad, but no special at all.

5.5/10
marcmyworksSep 9, 2017
The Mummy is a disaster of a movie, with no real tone, consistent story or even great acting. The biggest mistake the filmmakers made was not letting the movie be stand alone but instead using it as a starting vehicle for a franchise.
brentwshelton1Aug 27, 2017
I had to look at this movie as two separate entities. The first was the actual "The Mummy" story - which was kind of cool. I think if the movie had simply focused on her story- it would have been good. However - like many of theI had to look at this movie as two separate entities. The first was the actual "The Mummy" story - which was kind of cool. I think if the movie had simply focused on her story- it would have been good. However - like many of the professional and some of the non-professional critics - The movie is trying too hard to set up the threads that will connect the "Dark Universe" which really detracts from the movie I paid to see. In fact - I thought the inclusion of Russell Crowe as Dr. Jekell gave it some sort of weird "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" re-boot vibe - which really isn't a compliment. Since Crowe is getting his own Hyde/Jekell movie - they should have saved that whole sideshow for his movie....it is simply a distraction here. Also - I didn't dig the ending. It brings in the bizarre idea that Cruise may be popping up in "Invisible Man" or "Bride of Frankenstein" or other - totally inappropriate cameo moments in totally unrelated movies.....it all just got fairly bizarre and silly by the end (although the idea of that actually happening is probably the scariest thing in the Dark Universe - lol) . Expand
juliankennedy23Mar 29, 2018
The Mummy: A gender-swapped Lara Croft(Tom Cruise)finds a cursed mummy (An excellent Sofia Boutella) while looting treasures in Iraq one step ahead of Isis (The terrorist army not the Egyptian Goddess). Cruise and his mandatory love interestThe Mummy: A gender-swapped Lara Croft(Tom Cruise)finds a cursed mummy (An excellent Sofia Boutella) while looting treasures in Iraq one step ahead of Isis (The terrorist army not the Egyptian Goddess). Cruise and his mandatory love interest (Annabelle Wallis) fly the Mummy back to London. The mummy escapes and Cruise finds himself recruited by a shadowy organization led by Russel Crowe to get the Mummy back before the world ends or something.

The Good: The Mummy has some pretty good scenes all conveniently located for your viewing pleasure in the first forty minutes or so of the movie. The first forty minutes has a good breezy pace, Cruise’s character seems fun and well thought out, the action scenes are great and the mummy protagonist is a sexy and dangerous foil. One can seriously start to wonder why this fun movie got so much critical flack?

The Bad: And then Russell Crowe shows up. Dr. Jekyll would argue that Mr. Crowe does a fine job but is let down by a poor script and characterization. Mr. Hyde would say Russell is a large ham who makes a poorly thought out character even worse. While I agree with Hyde I don’t think anything could have saved this character. It is simply bad because it exists in this story.

Crowe scenery chewing isn’t the only thespian stumble. We also have Annabelle Wallis as the least charismatic Cruise love interest since… well maybe ever. There is furniture in this movie I am more invested in than this character. If a bad guy ties her to a table we’re more worried that no one is using a coaster.

For a movie called The Mummy, the titular character doesn’t seem to get a lot to do after they settle in London. Some (including the studio) blame Cruise for hogging the limelight but in reality, it is the world building with Prodigium, which is supposed to be the Scooby gang that links all the Dark Universe movies together, that sucks up all the running time and all the films energy. (The Mummy was supposed to be the first of a series of Dark Universe films that are threatening us with, among other things, Johnny Depp as The Invisible Man. Fortunately, the whole enterprise seems to be on life support so expect another reboot soon.)

There are other fails. The Crowe’s Jekyll/Hyde does that thing where Jekyll speaks with an upper-class accent so we know he is good while Hyde pours on a cartoonish lower-class Cockney accent, that would make Dick Van Dyke blush, to let us know he is now evil. (If one thinks about it it really should be the opposite). This seems to be taken from the Dr. Jekyll musical of all things and Crowe does seem to threaten to sing Les Mis’ Stars at any monument.

The movie um… finds inspiration from other films as well, everything from The League of Extraordinary Gentleman (See Prodidium above) to An American Werewolf in London where the film out and out copies entire scenes.

In Conclusion: It is rare to see a movie, let alone the supposed start of an entire Universe filled with tent poles, fly off the rails so badly. Like Superman Vs Batman it seemed more concerned letting us know about upcoming projects and setting up “the Universe” than just being a good movie so we would see another. Raider’s of the Lost Ark did not try to create a franchise with its film. It just was a very good movie that made people want more.

They had a great villain, a solid action hero and a decent budget. They easily could have made a fine Mummy film. And if it was successful they could have followed it up with some mediocre sequels that take place in China and have a new actress playing the wife in the third one. Heck, you could even do a spin-off series with horrible CGI Scorpion Man hybrid that eventually goes straight to video. The blueprint was there you just had to follow it.
corebiopsyJul 14, 2017
It's a completely serviceable action movie. It's nothing more. I think some people were expecting too much, having been spoilt with other action movies with depth ( and plot ), like Wonder Woman. I was entertained for the duration.
russiangamerAug 26, 2017
Абсолютно пресное, неинтересное, посредственное произведение.
Абсолютно пресное, неинтересное, посредственное произведение.
И рядом не стоит с фильмом 1999 года, я бы даже сказал, не присутствует с ним в одной вселенной, потому что чтобы снимать такое в 2017 году, нужно вообще не смотреть кино всё то время, что прошло с выхода оригинальной мумии.
PipeCAug 20, 2017
Here, The Mummy is not the monstrous thing

Here, The Mummy is not the monstrous thing

The surprises, keeping re-encounter with one of the classic wonders par excellence, owned by Universal Pictures, are constricted. Among this narrow mosaic of satisfactions is what would be a comforting and palpitating beginning.Trying to emulate the retributive equation created by Marvel Studios with its cosmos of cinematic superheroes, Universal plans to outline its universe by reusing the characters that must be untouchable because of their one-of-a-kind legacy in cinema history, however, Hollywood's rejection of creativity, a true eyesore deserving its corresponding movie, has begun to pick on, without embarrassment and with enough paraphernalia, the monsters in order to satisfy the demands of the Millennials about knowing those dark beings. Classics of yesteryear such as "Bride of Frankenstein", "Creature from the Black Lagoon" or "The Invisible Man" are going to resurrect in the upcoming years with the help of Johnny Depp, Julian Bardem and undeniably a compendium of actors and actresses that are currently shining in the mecca of American cinema. "Dracula Untold", starring Luke Evans, was kicked off but it was harshly criticized for the loss of focus portraying the "untold" story of this iconic and lethal vampire. Due to this economic and reception flop, the studio didn't give up and started over with a clean slate, omitting such box office bomb, supposedly, to reorganize the pretensions and start on the right foot this mega-project, but what would be the story that would really redeem the master Dracula? "The Mummy".

Mythology and/or legends encompass myriad opportunities and Hollywood sharp brains have been able to take advantage of these to raise the first dark universe of history. After a round of flowers and applause by films with a large audience response and a revival led by Hammer Films in the 50s, North American cinematic mecca Universal Pictures inaugurates its corresponding movie voyage with Dr. Henry Jekyll, who's the director and creator of the surreptitious organization "Prodigium", whose mission is to recognize, contain, examine and destroy any evil entity stepping on the ground. The first to realize her not so triumphant entry is Princess Ahmanet, interpreted by Boutella.

After watching the film, one can conclude that the biggest flaw, both independent movie and inaugural work, is the feeble structuring in plot terms, because, although the introduction of the antagonist and the retrospective scenes independent Nick firmly consolidate the first act, it's difficult to feel that constant and seductive ecstatic that encompassing the Mummy, verbi gratia, in Brendan Fraser's 1998 film. Such a narrative failure originates consequents that keep on to harm the audiovisual tale; the first one comes in the name of the selfsame main actor, who had active participation in the conception of the script, for, in the end, provoke prominent interventions in the footage that should come from the true star, giving prominence to a character who will surely have weight in future installments, thus giving cause to the second big mistake: not deciding what specific genre(s) and tone(s) for the universe due to the hasty narrative ending. Is it a horror or comedy film, an initiation/Nick Morton or a mummy film, an adventure or suspense one? The film doesn't cease in production of subliminal messages for the audience on the occasion of informing of the large flow of monsters that are coming, introducing with little fluency references and signs of upcoming films. The third blemish comes from the sketch of characters, another subject in which the team of writers doesn't come out well.

The Mummy's female version flaunts different presentations ranging from an inhuman entity that drags to the aphrodisiac and intimidating look that spends most of the time chained or stealing people's lives by lip contact. The places in which the tale develops tend opacity, a complex of special effects that are supported in a palette of pessimistic colors and tones in terms of transmitting, without any success, dread, and insecurity the work must produce. As for technical aspects, they stand out for the first-rate execution of the best action sequence in the film: The plane crash, although it doesn't propose anything deeply novel in the action movie matter, managed to stir within me, thanks to furious-paced timing, an unexplained anxiety for the future of the characters, a well- deserved applause for this achievement both technical and artistic.

"The Mummy" (2017) by Alex Kurtzman is a frustrating setback and inaugural disruption in the optimistic plans of Universal. A work that could not show its possibilities because of an unsatisfactory attempt to get what Marvel's equation has built, and even DC's one. Ideas straying in the disorder of pretensions. Apparently, just as Disney, Universal must mummified already conceived plans to awaken new aces under the sleeve quickly.
VadertimeNov 1, 2017
Okay, so I watched the DVD of this movie last weekend. I was originally going to catch it in the theaters, but after the dismal reviews I decided to wait for it to come out on DVD. I ordered it 2 or 3 weeks ago and didn't get around toOkay, so I watched the DVD of this movie last weekend. I was originally going to catch it in the theaters, but after the dismal reviews I decided to wait for it to come out on DVD. I ordered it 2 or 3 weeks ago and didn't get around to watching it till last weekend. I agree with all the critics that this movie has more to do with Tom Cruise and not enough about the The Mummy. This was not a terrible movie, but it probably could have been a little bit better with less Tom Cruise, his blonde sidekick girlfriend and the weirdness of the Jekyll/Hyde character portrayed by Russell Crowe. The Brendan Frazier vehicle from 20 years ago is far superior and possibly the best version yet. Expand
tbeit2Jun 28, 2017
I honestly thought this movie was pretty mediocre. First, Tom Cruise is cool and the Mummy herself is awesome. The special effects are great and Russel Crow does a good job as well. The movie falls short everywhere else though. The plot isI honestly thought this movie was pretty mediocre. First, Tom Cruise is cool and the Mummy herself is awesome. The special effects are great and Russel Crow does a good job as well. The movie falls short everywhere else though. The plot is all over the place, and it stops in the middle to expand the "Dark Universe", and it is a waste of time. It didn't need to be in the film, and it slowed it down and cluttered it. The film also seemed to just be stumbling over itself near the end, having things happen for the sake of the plot and to find a way to keep the universe alive. Speaking of that, the ending is **** as well. The last "fight" is very anticlimactic, stuff happens that isn't explained and then there is narration which tells you "We got a universe coming!". Along with that, some of the writing is bad. The side character chick is really bland, the comedic effect guy that shows up randomly is not funny and annoying and Tom Cruise's character doesn't really develop. They attempt to, but they spend like two minutes on it and I didn't buy it.

Overall, I found it to be pretty mediocre
nestoryavithAug 27, 2017
Wow! way to go... you just ruined a franchise because of going way too fast to furious to see where you even wanna take your franchise first. But as bad starts go, at least you tried.
Mitya64Jan 26, 2018
Это ремейк. Я думал продолжение. Много лишних моментов. Так достаточной посредственный фильм
Titanic21Mar 18, 2018
My thoughts about The Mummy from 2017 are quite negative. As I really like the series and the first Mummy movies that appeared where very okay, this one failed for me. Sadly it seems to be a phenomenon frequently seen on remakes or franchiseMy thoughts about The Mummy from 2017 are quite negative. As I really like the series and the first Mummy movies that appeared where very okay, this one failed for me. Sadly it seems to be a phenomenon frequently seen on remakes or franchise additions and in the case of the Mummy I should honestly have expected. Even though the metascore was already low during release, I got fooled by the trailer promising an exciting and interesting, slightly scary story as the first movie had, it didn't take long to realise that one Mummy would fail getting up to that. The big complaint about that movie that I have is simply that it is trying to be to much things at the same time. There are a lot of elements in it which are interesting for the moment they appear but in the end unimportant for the story at all. It seems to be so that the movie was cut to fit the bright audience interests, but that would totally not have been neccessarry. Even though the setting and plot seem very great at first, they are predictable, though, but good, in my opinion they have been used the wrong way, as the plot becomes worse and worse as the movie progresses solely because they tried to add more and more content, characters and backstory. If this movie would have stayed at the principles of simplism and been orientated more on the original series and not on other movies, it could have been a way more enjoyable work overall. As it currently is, it is too much of it all. But that does not mean that The Mummy is a bad movie, it's just not good and that's why my scores seems reasonable. Expand
YODACHMJun 21, 2017
The set pieces are wonderful, the acting is ok, but the plot is a mess. The film didn't feel like a mummy movie, it didn't even feel like a monster movie. I don't really know what to compare it to. The first 20 minutes of the film wereThe set pieces are wonderful, the acting is ok, but the plot is a mess. The film didn't feel like a mummy movie, it didn't even feel like a monster movie. I don't really know what to compare it to. The first 20 minutes of the film were actually quite good and one scene in particular will bring out some emotions if you are a history buff. There is also a small easteregg in the film for those who are fans of the Brendan Fraser mummy movies. I recommend you'd watch it, but don't expect a lot from it. Expand
chrisjee1234Jun 25, 2017
I feel like critics are being too harsh on this movie. Yes, there are some storytelling issues and weak characterization, but in the end, it is an enjoyable mess.
KevinChau5Apr 18, 2018
Was okay! Wasn't one of the best film but however loved the Action sequences
Hurricane16Feb 4, 2018
The Mummy can’t decide what it wants to be; an action thriller, or a monster horror movie, and it just ends up unraveling all over the place
naniinDec 18, 2017
"Мумия" - проходной летний блокбастер. Сам фильм скучный, нудный и не самостоятельный. Сюжет так себе, злодейка слита, Том Круз как всегда тут бегает. Жанр фильма ужасы, за весь фильм мне ни разу не было страшно. Ну все же у фильма есть"Мумия" - проходной летний блокбастер. Сам фильм скучный, нудный и не самостоятельный. Сюжет так себе, злодейка слита, Том Круз как всегда тут бегает. Жанр фильма ужасы, за весь фильм мне ни разу не было страшно. Ну все же у фильма есть плюсы, экшен и крутой Рассел Кроу. Так что начало "Темной вселенной" не очень удалось. Expand
CoKronakanMar 20, 2018
I loved the fact that they created a really thin line between good and bad, or no line at all. Plus the moral of the story is not clear as day, so you have to think a little about it, which makes it more intriguing. The characters aren't allI loved the fact that they created a really thin line between good and bad, or no line at all. Plus the moral of the story is not clear as day, so you have to think a little about it, which makes it more intriguing. The characters aren't all great. Tom Cruise's talent is totally wasted on this character in my opinion. He could have been so much more charismatic and entertaining if the writing would have let him to. So overall it's and average movie, and somewhat enjoyable 90% of the time. And it's not too cliche so that's good too. Expand
caf2042Mar 1, 2018
The Mummy, directed by Alex Kurtzman, is a reboot of the classic 30s film, as well as the 1999 film. In the film, Tom Cruise, works to stop the ancient princess Ahmanet from destroying humanity. I had hope for this movie, and unfortunately,The Mummy, directed by Alex Kurtzman, is a reboot of the classic 30s film, as well as the 1999 film. In the film, Tom Cruise, works to stop the ancient princess Ahmanet from destroying humanity. I had hope for this movie, and unfortunately, it's not great. It's not awful either, but it just feels empty. Way to much exposition, and a bad Cruise performance make this disappointing Expand