The Purge

5.3

1. Jun 15, 2013
    I was excited to see this movie. I thought the previews for the movie were great. I was not disappointed by this movie. I was worried by some of the reviews that I had seen before going to the movie--I almost decided not to go because of the reviews--but the movie was very good. I enjoyed The Purge.
  2. Oct 10, 2013
    I had read consistent bad reviews and seen low ratings for this movie which led my wife and I to stray away from spending good money on seeing this in theaters. However, after renting this I can easily say it was worth the $5.00 spent. The action scenes were executed well and for the most part, I did like the characters enough to actually care what happened to them.

I did find myself

I did find myself consistently thinking that even if this scenario of "the purge" were real, the way the characters acted would not be anything near how they would in real life. It is a shame that such a creative premise was somehow mismanaged and not used to its full potential but it was very entertaining nonetheless. The Purge obviously lacks in some areas and falls short in others, but ultimately triumphs in providing what it was intended to do; leave your brains at the door, sit back and enjoy some creepy entertainment.
  3. Aug 29, 2013
    What is wrong with people? Purge is exactly what the audience wants. Action,horror,suspense and blood. How people didn't like it? The plot may sound silly and some people may not like it I accept that) but it is original something that most horror movies nowadays aren't. I also don't understand how critics like The Cabin in the woods which is a movie and they didn't like the Purge whichWhat is wrong with people? Purge is exactly what the audience wants. Action,horror,suspense and blood. How people didn't like it? The plot may sound silly and some people may not like it I accept that) but it is original something that most horror movies nowadays aren't. I also don't understand how critics like The Cabin in the woods which is a movie and they didn't like the Purge which was a scary intense film. Lena Headey was a big surprise to me as I've only seen here in Game of thrones where she is excellent as "the bad guy" and she was even good playing "the good guy" and the mother who protects her daughter and son. In overall there is suspense and The Purge it has a good original plot that many people will like and others will not. I like the Purge and I consider it as one of the best horror-thriller movie that I have seen Thumbs up! Expand
  4. Jun 28, 2013
    The movie keeps your heart beating from the start to the end. Its takes a ludicrous plot and provides a fairly reasonable and logical explanation that gives an almost surreal feel to the event. There are many… many cliches to in the film and character development is non existent… still a good watch. pretty entertaining.
  5. Jul 27, 2013
    This movie wasn't spectacular but it sure was intense. Not a real deep plot but good scares and tension. The moral choice that plagued the protagonist and his family was a tough one. The ending and length of the movie were the only things I found wrong with it. Still a good movie I liked it better than the strangers which reminds me of this.
  6. Jun 7, 2013
    Review From www.thereiopinion.com

All Originality Has Been Purged I came across the preview for this movie a couple months back and I thought that though the horror genre as a whole has been overdone (I Love Horror Just The Same) this movie seemed to have a generally original concept. The year is 2022 and america has been reborn under new founding fathers who these founding fathers are
    Review From www.thereiopinion.com

All Originality Has Been Purged
    I came across the preview for this movie a couple months back and I thought that though the horror genre as a whole has been overdone (I Love Horror Just The Same) this movie seemed to have a generally original concept. The year is 2022 and america has been reborn under new founding fathers who these founding fathers are is never elaborated on any further which I think is one of the faults of this movie there is a much larger story to be told here but as this is a horror movie we follow the very narrow view of this one upper class family. The family is made up of four people James Sanden (Ethan Hawke, of Training Day & Daybreakers) who in this new world of yearly purges sells security systems his target market is wealthy home owners. Mary Sandin (Lena Headey, of 300 & GOT) his wife and mother of there two children Charlie Sandin (Max Burkholder) a young boy who seems to be the only person in the movie to have any sense of how wrong the purge really is and Zoey Sandin (Adelaide Kane) his older sister who plays your average teenage girl rebelling against her parents with an older man.There is very little character development in this movie at all many of the characters are not even given names and are merely there so that they can be killed off later. Just to give a quick overview of the movie once the purge commences Charlie sees a man outside the house looking for help and being the only character with any sense of right or wrong he brings down there security system to allow him inside. Once in the house the man disappears in the wake of all the chaos and the group hunting him soon come looking this group of psychos is lead by a character I have only seen called the polite stranger (Rhys Wakefield, of Sanctum) he kindly tells James that either he supply the man they are looking for or they will be forced to break into the house and kill everyone inside his blend of complete insanity and yet polite discord was one of the highlights of the movie for me his character shows what I believe to be the truest effect of the purge which is the extermination of the lower class by the upper class through out the movie it is shown that those with money are completely unaffected by the purge unless they choose to participate. In the end in true horror movie fashion mayhem and chaos follow with a lot of brutal deaths and stupid decisions made by underdeveloped characters and what was once a interesting concept starts to fall short. The movie ends up being your average summer horror movie if your are a big horror buff you could do worse than to go see it in the theater if your not a big time horror fan I would wait and give this a rent all though I am not not even sure you could call this a horror movie more of a thriller while there are some parts that could get a jump out of you it had more of an overall action movie to me than a true horror movie .

Pros:
    Performance by Rhys Wakefield as the polite stranger was fantastic
    The overall concept of the purge is still an interesting one there appear to be subtle political undertones throughout the movie

Cons:
    Underdeveloped characters
    Predictable ending (more on this in a minute)
    Too many unbelievable choices and scenarios
  7. Jul 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I find the movie very entertaining very suspenseful i loved it i really just didn't like the ending that much i don't think the dad shoulda died i think he shoulda made it to the end Expand
  8. Jun 20, 2013
    In my opinion, The Purge was an.... entertaining movie. I can't deny that it did keep me on edge. To my relief, it wasn't very scary either. It was more interesting and intense. The plot is very original, and it will definitely keep you entertained. Although it was a good movie, it was not great. I cannot stress how idiotic and stupid the family was enough. I found myself constantlyIn my opinion, The Purge was an.... entertaining movie. I can't deny that it did keep me on edge. To my relief, it wasn't very scary either. It was more interesting and intense. The plot is very original, and it will definitely keep you entertained. Although it was a good movie, it was not great. I cannot stress how idiotic and stupid the family was enough. I found myself constantly realizing how fake the movie was. The actors didn't seem scared enough. Also, they kept making mistakes throughout the movie even though they knew that their lives were on the line! It was also really annoying how the killers tried to have a sense of humor. The killers seemed psychotic and creepy. The ending was really crazy too. The ending was awkward, funny, idiotic, surprising, and just interesting. On the other hand though, I liked the movie, but I wouldn't spend a lot to see it. Wait for it to come out and get it from the red box. It is very interesting, and even though it might not be your favorite movie, you will have something to enjoy from it. Expand
  9. Oct 10, 2013
    I don't feel that the low user score is warranted. The movie deserves an 8/10 for originality alone. A great concept with some really quality acting, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie which leans more towards the more extreme portions of the human condition but is nonetheless a thoroughly entertaining flick (unless you're a pacifist or bleeding heart liberal) which is certainly worth a watch
  10. Jun 17, 2013
    The movie was great. I loved it. I really keeps you on your feet the movie but the movie is very short. But I would recommend seeing it. It's a whole new paradigm. The movie has a bit of that horror feeling and jumps but it won't leave you with nightmares but only the illusion that keeps you wondering...could this ever happen.??
  11. Jun 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my opinion, The Purge is the best home invasion movie ever made. It has such an original and thrilling plot compared to most horror movies these days. I really don't understand why most critics don't like this film. If you want to see this movie, see it and don't listen to the negative reviews because in my opinion they are all wrong. If you want thrills or if you want to be creeped out this is the movie for you. Warning: Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait until The Purge 2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  12. Jun 24, 2013
    The movie is a breathe of fresh air with a new idea which is out of the ordinary for Hollywood now a days and welcomed by the audience. The story moves at a relativity adequate pace without to much being tied down in a romance story that holds a lot of movies in this class. The movie only slows down and even gets lackluster in the end. The stories conclusion is very simple and easily seenThe movie is a breathe of fresh air with a new idea which is out of the ordinary for Hollywood now a days and welcomed by the audience. The story moves at a relativity adequate pace without to much being tied down in a romance story that holds a lot of movies in this class. The movie only slows down and even gets lackluster in the end. The stories conclusion is very simple and easily seen coming even minutes into the open. The simple write can draw in those who are new to cinema but those who have seen a few thrillers will not be impressed or shocked by the ending and even disappointed that they chose such a pedestrian reason for such a great stories conclusion. Expand
  13. Jun 23, 2013
    Yes, the film was rather predictable but I thought the premise was so clever that it lifted it out of the traditional. A clever societal commentary with some scary moments. Worked for me.
  14. Jun 15, 2013
    These reviews are all a little off. I don't think the writers were going for any awards with this one, they just wanted to entertain. You shouldn't expect thoughtful characters or realistic scenarios in a movie about a nation that knowingly disregards crime once yearly. What I expected was suspense, and plenty of situations that would scare me if imagining myself in that scenario. IfThese reviews are all a little off. I don't think the writers were going for any awards with this one, they just wanted to entertain. You shouldn't expect thoughtful characters or realistic scenarios in a movie about a nation that knowingly disregards crime once yearly. What I expected was suspense, and plenty of situations that would scare me if imagining myself in that scenario. If characters were realistic or made good decisions in any horror movie, the horror would quickly end. Expand
  15. Jun 10, 2013
    This movie, was great. However, don't get me wrong it's rated R for a reason. This movie does have some flaws, as every other does. However, this movie I believe is really worth your money
  16. Jan 4, 2014
    I liked it. The movies premise is ridiculous. For one night a year all laws don't exist so that people don't commit crimes the rest of the year. If you think this is stupid then don't watch this movie. The whole idea is very tongue in cheek but the movie is done with a completely straight face. It is very violent and fast paced so for that reason I found it very entertaining.
  17. Jun 15, 2013
    A good movie that would make a great book series. The movie did waste a lot of potential and started off rather slow. It was great watching it in the theater though just to here everyone scream and applause when the action started to get really good at the end.
  18. Jun 11, 2013
    It's always the black guy...
    The Purge is very fun and intense. A few good surprises accompanied by the same old horror film tropes everyone loves to hate.
  19. Jun 14, 2013
    ini merupakan film yang sangat amat buruk, sudah sejak lama saya menantikan pembuatan film ini, tetapi yang terjadi malah jauh dari perkiraan saya ketika melihat film ini, jujur saya sangat sangat kecewa berat sampai sampai tak mau lagi melihat film ini, dan apabila ada yang mempertontonkan di segala media baik itu cetak maupun elektronik, saya tidak akan segan segan untuk memusnahkannyaini merupakan film yang sangat amat buruk, sudah sejak lama saya menantikan pembuatan film ini, tetapi yang terjadi malah jauh dari perkiraan saya ketika melihat film ini, jujur saya sangat sangat kecewa berat sampai sampai tak mau lagi melihat film ini, dan apabila ada yang mempertontonkan di segala media baik itu cetak maupun elektronik, saya tidak akan segan segan untuk memusnahkannya dan menghabisi siapapun yang menyebarkannya dan menyiarkannya, sekian! Expand
  20. Jun 15, 2013
    This movie was amazing. I thought that is was something new & fresh in the horror/thriller industry. Something different instead of paranormal and E.T films. Although it could've been longer and a different ending. Now don't get me wrong, this movie was still leaving me on the edge of my seat, but it should've been laid out better. I feel like a lot of things were happening at once butThis movie was amazing. I thought that is was something new & fresh in the horror/thriller industry. Something different instead of paranormal and E.T films. Although it could've been longer and a different ending. Now don't get me wrong, this movie was still leaving me on the edge of my seat, but it should've been laid out better. I feel like a lot of things were happening at once but that's what made the movie really intense and it kept you interested. So if you haven't seen this movie yet, you should definitely go see it. Its very good all in all. Expand
  21. Jun 21, 2013
    "The Purge" is smart, scary and original, it is thrilling edge of the seat horror movie, it has some boring moments during the climax, and some of the acting is bad, but the story is original and intense, scary and great, the kids make stupid decisions all the way through the movie, but still The Purge is a great, scary time!
  22. Jun 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A day in which crimes are all forgiven, for America has found new refuge under the tradition of the annual purge, a concept which toys with our inner primate selves. The Purge begins very slowly setting the scene in an eerily fashion, viewers are introduced to the normality of the purge quite quickly and it is this normality which then makes the later developments in the plot so shocking to an unsuspecting viewer.

The concept is one which could of probably been delivered to a higher standard however the movie to an extent does give it some justice, with it only being 85 minutes in total leaving you hungry for more it immediately becomes apparent that "The Purge" is a short taster to a number of following prequels,it provides an insight into "home invasion" one aspect of many which could be exploited in the concept of "The Purge"

With the whole movie being set in the house like movies similar such as "panic room" the director has chosen to diversify the film by using a number of different rooms on screen within the family house however due to it being set in the early hours of the morning and later developments leading to low level lighting it means that most of the movie is quite dark.

Ethan Hawke plays the patriotic father of the family, an upper class family which strongly supports the annual purge however when they become involved stumble upon choices they must have to make in order to protect there family from the threat outside. The family and neighbours were poorly portrayed by their actor counterparts, it really took value away from the movie and made you want to quetion were they acting with the boy child being emotionless throughout the film and the neighbours being gormless in some scenes.

Despite this I was glued to my chair throughout, the movie started slow however became quite fast moving. With me not seeing the trailer beforehand the movies events were more of a shock as they came to play and allowed for me to be more gripped. Following the credits the general consensus was positive for being such a low budget film.
  23. Jul 2, 2013
    This movie was entertaining. The story line of what it means to "Purge" in this movie, is creepy, but that is what is entertaining about it. I just think that the ending was kind of stale and that it could have shown more footage about what was "happening around the world as people were partisipating in "The Purge".
  24. Jul 4, 2013
    Horror movie are a very hard genre of movie to create. There are not many horror movies that put me on the edge of my seat with horror. This movie was very interesting, the idea of the Purge is such a creative idea for a movie. I thought that they did a very good job and I look forward to The Purge 2. I highly recommend this movie for people that like horror and thriller movies.
  25. Sep 30, 2013
    Nice and new idea,it reflects how the nature of human is bad and hideous ,and if the chance come to anyone he will kill and revenge I wish there is other part from this movie with more exciting story.
  26. Sep 7, 2014
    When we were looking for horror movie to see, I proposed this film, and they thanked me for it. When violence becomes normal after a year, stress is you shoot a heart attack every hour, and there are 12; literally. With a history that shows the brutality of the human being and a family that catches you in its most real's wishes live.

Another highly recommended movie.
  27. Apr 27, 2014
    In 2022, just 8 years from now, the U.S. government has instituted a new holiday. One that has led to peace and prosperity, but at an extreme cost to the less fortunate. For 12 hours, once a year, all crime is legal and people are given the opportunity to release their hatred and rage on anyone they can find. The cast isn't important to a film like this, it's all about the writers cynicalIn 2022, just 8 years from now, the U.S. government has instituted a new holiday. One that has led to peace and prosperity, but at an extreme cost to the less fortunate. For 12 hours, once a year, all crime is legal and people are given the opportunity to release their hatred and rage on anyone they can find. The cast isn't important to a film like this, it's all about the writers cynical message, that behind every smile is jealousy, behind every hand shake is anger, and trust has become a luxury that no one can afford. This Purge is all about the message that is being portrayed, but it has some major holes in the story. If all crime is legal for 12 hours, how come the only thing on peoples mind is murder? There weren't any rapes or bank robberies, nor where there any acts of terrorism or lashing out at authority. It was all about the killing. Most of the Purge is fairly predictable and it is what you would expect it to be. The big surprise comes at the end, which was extremely powerful, and really gives people the opportunity to question the message the writers have portrayed throughout the film. The only notable performance is that of the stars, Ethan Hawke, who was terrific, in a role I really didn't see him fitting into. The Purge is definitely all about the authors agenda and it is somewhat predictable, but what made the film for me, was the terrific ending, which really does give the audience the chance to challenge the cynical nature of the film. Expand
  28. Feb 18, 2014
  29. Feb 18, 2014
    Esta pelicula contiene escenas aburridas como interesantes, las aburridas no borran un buen trama de la pelicula, como se hace un a pelicula mejor al transcurrir el tiempo con un mensaje interno demasiado profundo q te pone a pensar un momento
  30. Jan 6, 2014
    There is a good tension that explodes at the end. Well conducted by the director and actors film.
    A very good film with a good idear, good actors actress but there is small problems in the scenario, but it's too little to him give a bad score.
  31. Feb 18, 2014
  32. Feb 18, 2014
  33. Sep 2, 2013
  34. LTR
    Nov 9, 2013
    This is a good horror movie. The characters are good and the atmosphere is good. My main problem with the film is the whole idea that crime is legal in one day. Even though it is original, I just think it's stupid.
  35. Oct 11, 2013
    The Purge is a very underrated movie, this movie has original and fresh ideas, and it capitlizes with flying colors. The Actors are great at dilivering unique and interesting performences. The only downfall to this movie is that its too short. This movie has one of the most memorable villains. This is a sleeper hit for 2013 but i just wish it would have been longer.
  36. Oct 25, 2013
    Un film muy recomendable, una de las mejores películas de la última década, muy bien llevada a cabo con un argumento interesante y muy atrapante. Ya desde el comienzo empieza a atrapar al espectador y en ningún momento se hace densa. Muy buena, recomendable.

JullTheAmazing Argentina
  37. Mar 11, 2014
    the purge is one of the best scary movie i seen all year . but the child who like the hobo in the house is a idiot because he took his families life in danger and almost got killed but i think its kinda cool killing the purge crew . but why would all medical services be closed ?
  38. Mar 10, 2014
    It s a Good film, very good story line, tho it could do with some work, maybe not stuck in one house for the whole movie, the only mistake that annoyed me was it was suppose to be a 12 hour purge but if you pay attention to the times it was Midnight to only 7am, thats 7 hours not 12.......
  39. Nov 23, 2014
    The Purge es sin duda una película que es interesante y que llama la atención por su intrigante sipnosis, y en mi opinión, debió tener mejores críticas de las que tiene por parte del público y crítica.
  40. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brilliant, twisted with a purpose, and incredibly thought-provoking. For starters, those who didn't like the fact that the movie doesn't spoon-fed the viewer answers to life's great mysteries or explain in detail the nature of the human condition, perhaps begin by examining the distinction between "freedom" and "liberty." I've news for folks who say the characters were "two-dimensional," that may be your own reflection, your assertion does not reflect on the film in the least. I've news for folks who say the story was "shallow" or "lacked depth," that is likely a reflection on you, not the writing, the dialogue, the acting, the direction, or the story-line. The manner in which it focuses the subject matter and the existential struggle the film's premise produces, by confining the story to one neighborhood, practically one family's home, leaving the viewer to contemplate the big picture, was nothing short of visionary. I'm not a fan of "slasher flicks" in the least, but this is science fiction and not your average "slasher flick," to suggest otherwise is simply ignorant. Now, as someone with a background in psychology, I could go on for days regarding the probable departures from "reality" statistically. However, the movie is squarely science fiction and in my humble opinion, the film accomplished what good science fiction should accomplish: It invites the viewer to examine themselves and their relationship with the rest of the world, if not the universe. It should make all of us a little uncomfortable, but not simply because of the violence and gore. Kudos to all those involved in making this film. Expand
  41. Apr 20, 2014
    I really dont understand the bad score to this movie. this movie shows the anger hidden from humans and negative feelings they feel each other.
    this movie just says that sometimes, just because it's a homeless, sold more than the others and etc is not necessary to kill.
    Do not tell me "killing is in human nature". kill only animals do to survive. humans do by superfluous interests
  42. Jul 12, 2014
    This movie is far better than what it has scored from user reviews. Then again all reviews are just opinions even from critics so don't take my word for it. Purge 2 is coming out soon so get spun up on the series!
  43. Oct 24, 2014
    this movie is very gory and original it is an amazing movie with a interesting concept it is a great thriller and has you hanging on the edge of your seat its not scary but its a thrill ride to remember
  44. Dec 13, 2015
    This is not that good of a movie. Yet, it is not that bad. I would recommend it, but you will be disappointed. It's not what everybody expected, but I still think it's good.

1. Reviewed by: Rex Reed
    Jun 11, 2013
    As a nauseating variation on the home-invasion theme, The Purge is as sickening as it is dreary.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 9, 2013
    This is quite possibly the most moronic motion picture I have seen thus far in 2013 and that's saying a lot.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 9, 2013
    The Purge isn’t just stupid; it’s also pretentious and often makes no sense.