Paramount Pictures | Release Date: February 6, 2015
6.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 317 Ratings
Watch Now
motleycruefanFeb 7, 2015
I loved this movie. It was great! Had so many hilarious moments, great action, and I loved how they brought them out of water. That new scenery was great! I greatly recommend seeing this movie.
Once upon a time there was a fat stupid pink
Once upon a time there was a fat stupid pink idiot. The end.

That had me cracking! You gotta see this movie.
stalkb01Feb 6, 2015
This movie was great, well done, great story line. VERY funny for both kids and adults. We saw this on opening night and the movie was sold out, not a spare seat in house, but were first in line! We saw the 3D version and that was extraThis movie was great, well done, great story line. VERY funny for both kids and adults. We saw this on opening night and the movie was sold out, not a spare seat in house, but were first in line! We saw the 3D version and that was extra cool and amazing, even though it cost a bit more to see it in 3D, it was worth it. Great message for the kids about team work. Some special guest stars were a nice surprise too. Run to see this movie...even if you don't have kids! Expand
GuillermoBMFeb 6, 2015
Summary: This movie was a **** mess... but I liked it anyway. 70/100 [B-]

Summary: This movie was a **** mess... but I liked it anyway. 70/100 [B-]

Even though it's not even close to the awesomeness of the first movie, still a good movie. The animation was great and the jokes were funny enough. The whole audience was dying of laughter! There were a lot of strange and **** up moments in the movie, there was also a reference to "The Shining" and I was like: What the hell am I seeing? Anyway, this movie is anything but boring. I couldn't take my eyes of the screen, I was so entertained the whole running time. The first SpongeBob movie was already surreal and weird, this one... *sigh* has crossed the line.

The 3D was incredible, well done and eye-popping. There's a great action sequence near the end of the movie with the pirate involved (performed by Antonio Banderas), and it was so damn funny and fast-paced. On the downside, some repetitive jokes become tiresome as the running time goes, the above-water stuff was way too short and well... actually the whole movie was very short to me, I don't know why, this movie should be longer! Again, the whole above-water stuff that you can see in the trailer was actually 20% of the movie, seriously WTF, I wanted more.

I left the theater a bit unsatisfied. I felt like I just watched a movie that's 50 minutes long. Also, another of my issues was the ending, the songs in the ending were unnecessary and a little bit annoying. In addition, another issue was the villain. Antonio Banderas was great, but his character is not very well developed, he was a quite uninteresting villain. Leaving aside its flaws, I noticed one thing, the editing is really well done and even though it has some messed up moments the movie is never confusing because its premise is so short and easy to follow.

The editing makes the whole film more dynamic and easy to understand. So, in conclusion this SpongeBob movie is not even close to the 2004 film, but it has enough visuals and clever gags to satisfy the audience in general. The above-water sequences are so damn enjoyable, the 3D looks fantastic and there are a lot of moments in the movie that are so damn surreal and messed up! Think of an animated version of Interstellar. Also, I don't want to spoil it, but I'm just gonna say that first scene with the dolphin was so strange.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people will dislike this film, mainly because of the ending, some annoying songs, the **** up moments and the shortness of the film. But to me, it is not a bad movie at all. I highly recommend it, especially if you're fan of the TV show. If you're going to see it, you must see it in 3D and on a huge screen. It is a pretty good spectacle. It is great that the movie took advantage of its 3D format, it looked great. Also, do not forget to see Squidward's dancing in the end credits, it will remind you to the old times. [B-]
WheelzFourReelzFeb 15, 2015
It doesn't quite reach the quality of the original SpongeBob film, but SpongeBob SquarePants: Sponge out of Water is still silly, weird fun with some genuine laughs.
RyyxFeb 17, 2015
I was quite disappointed by this. As an adult the tv show is loaded with intelligent satire, unique and quirky humor. The combination of high and low brow humor, slapstick and innuendo is enough to keep many adults happy and entertained.I was quite disappointed by this. As an adult the tv show is loaded with intelligent satire, unique and quirky humor. The combination of high and low brow humor, slapstick and innuendo is enough to keep many adults happy and entertained.

This movie however is basically devoid of most of these things. Aside from 2 or 3 scenes and jokes, this movie feels like it wasn't written by the same people who write for the show, or perhaps when confronted by a longer running time they choked? Still other made for TV feature length Sponge Bob movies were funnier and more in tune with the show.

The premise of the movie allows for some "What if" scenarios to unfold... but the writers seem asleep at the wheel.

Numerous chances for the typical quirky humor of sponge bob are missed, and sponge bob is essentially little more than an exaggerated Pollyanna, which is only a small part of what makes him funny on the TV show.

Probably the only part I truly laughed about and felt was true to the spirit of spongebob, was a sequence inside his mind... As well as one or two gags that happened along the way.

It felt almost like this was a bit of false advertising as the commercials showed a life action style predominantly, and most of the movie is basically the same as the cartoon.

Overall I think this will appeal more to the younger Spongebob fanbase, and less to the parents of the show, or the kids who grew up watching it and are now adults themselves who appreciated it for it's adult friendly satire, innuendo and quirky/awkward punchlines.

Several characters in particular feel written differently as if they have been written not by people who know and love the characters, but by people who watched a few episodes and copied down jokes and gags they saw.

Bottom line, this isn't the first full feature length show spongebob has made, but it feels as if it is. It is terribly derivative, bland and as if it's been cleansed of any adult humor... Maybe Nickelodeon didn't want to risk offending the parents who don't normally watch the show?

Anyway this movie would be fine for the ten and under crowd, my 12 year old hated it (and he loves spongebob), and adults taking their kids to see this, should refrain from eating any rich meals that cause the ITIS before hand or they will end up falling asleep in their seats like I did.

I kind of feel sorry for Antonio Banderas, because he had a fine performance, but I felt like I was watching a man who was once at the top of the game, now resorting to doing kids cartoons to pay the bills... But he certainly didn't cop out or put out a bad performance. But this won't be another Puss N Boots for him...

Final Verdict - Kids ten and under? Sure, go see it with them. Age 10+ wait till it's on Netflix or something.
BV-SwiftyMar 17, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was a lot better than I expected. It was really funny for kids and adults alike. I loved the ending where they were referencing Epic Rap Battles of History. The special effects were fantastic, even with the 2D style and the 3D style. This is arguably the best Spongebob movie I've seen and one of the best animated movies I've seen in a long time! Expand
MadMaxFuryRoadMay 17, 2015
Most of the jokes were flat just like the T. V. Series but that's okay. The movie was still pretty entertaining especially the CGI part. This is pretty much just the expanded version of an episode of the Spongebob shows so watch this if youMost of the jokes were flat just like the T. V. Series but that's okay. The movie was still pretty entertaining especially the CGI part. This is pretty much just the expanded version of an episode of the Spongebob shows so watch this if you like the episodes. Expand
BikerjamesFeb 23, 2015
I'm a fan of the SpongeBob TV show. I enjoyed the film, although it wasn't as funny as some of the TV episodes. The TV show where SpongeBob sells chocolate door to door make me laugh so hard my stomach hurt. Nothing in this film is quiteI'm a fan of the SpongeBob TV show. I enjoyed the film, although it wasn't as funny as some of the TV episodes. The TV show where SpongeBob sells chocolate door to door make me laugh so hard my stomach hurt. Nothing in this film is quite as funny but it still was humorous and held my attention throughout. The animation itself was fun to look at. It really held the attention of the kids in the theater as there weren't any squirming talking kids while it was on. I do wish Squidward was featured more as I like his cynical personality. The 3D effects were good as well. It will be a Blu-ray purchase when it comes out. Expand
xZippyApr 5, 2015
A lot of people thought this movie wouldn't be very good because of the changed writers throughout the show's history, but this movie was way, way better than expected. It may not be the funniest or best animated movie out there, but it stillA lot of people thought this movie wouldn't be very good because of the changed writers throughout the show's history, but this movie was way, way better than expected. It may not be the funniest or best animated movie out there, but it still holds up very well. I'll even go as far to say some elements in the film surpass the first movie. Paul Tibbitt, if you're reading this, you did a good job. Expand
DrChocolateFeb 7, 2015
This is classic Spongebob. Ridiculous humour, outrageous plot, complete with talking dolphins and singing seagulls. Like watching child-friendly Monty Python. Excellent all around!
TrilobiteGAug 19, 2015
It has a slight inability to make jokes that work all the time, that and a little more context, but when this movie does crack the good ones it cracks them right. Not nearly as good as the first film, but a decent sequel with shimmeringIt has a slight inability to make jokes that work all the time, that and a little more context, but when this movie does crack the good ones it cracks them right. Not nearly as good as the first film, but a decent sequel with shimmering glimpses of the quirks our lovable characters had back in the first seasons of the show....*sigh*... Expand
BrianMcCriticJun 16, 2015
If you like the show you'll like the movie. I never really watch the show, but knowing the characters and their motivations I was for the most part entertained. B
YinYanReshiramApr 18, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water is a very enjoyable movie to watch. The humour is sharp, the animation although TV standard, is still entertaining to look at due to all of the wacky things going on screen and the live action portions contain just the right amount of cheesiness in them.

The only part of this movie that I disliked was when Spongebob and the gang go up to the surface. During this part, the humour becomes entirely slapstick which I didn't find to be particularly funny. I didn't care much for the climax of this film either. It didn't have the same sense of urgency that the climax featured in the first movie had.

With that said, The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water feels like a love letter to those who grew up with the first three seasons of the show. I had an absolute blast while watching this film. Before the credits began to roll, the villain and a group of seagulls sung the Spongebob theme song. Words cannot describe how happy that made me feel. If you're a fan of Spongebob or used to be in the past, you should definitely check this movie out.
lukechristianscFeb 17, 2015
This is the unthinkable spongebob movie! seriously it is! even though the humor has some issues, but Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger's script has made a laugh out loud fun time at the movies. Director Paul Tibbitt, has made this movie a blastThis is the unthinkable spongebob movie! seriously it is! even though the humor has some issues, but Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger's script has made a laugh out loud fun time at the movies. Director Paul Tibbitt, has made this movie a blast with fun characters a unique story also an incredbile movie. Grade A- Expand
powermad80Feb 7, 2015
The superhero and CGI parts are easily the weakest in the movie, thankfully they don't make up most of it. It's an absolute joy to watch the whole way through.
McgillacuddyApr 7, 2015
It stays true to it's SpongeBob style and comedy, making it a very satisfying film to watch. The plot to the film though seemed to be somewhat overdone with many incredibly strange and unnecessary scenes that will leave you thinking "What wasIt stays true to it's SpongeBob style and comedy, making it a very satisfying film to watch. The plot to the film though seemed to be somewhat overdone with many incredibly strange and unnecessary scenes that will leave you thinking "What was that?" Although the film's plot was all over the place, it still holds itself together as a great animated film. It may not win the hearts of non-SpongeBob fans, but if you are a SpongeBob fan or you just love animated films a lot, then this is a must-watch. Expand
WhoppingFeb 6, 2015
If you're a fan of Spongebob, then you'll with out a doubt enjoy this movie, the humor hasn't changed and there's lots of funny moments. I'm glad the movie sticks mostly to it's standard 2D animation, with only about 20% of the movie being 3DIf you're a fan of Spongebob, then you'll with out a doubt enjoy this movie, the humor hasn't changed and there's lots of funny moments. I'm glad the movie sticks mostly to it's standard 2D animation, with only about 20% of the movie being 3D animation. However I don't think it holds up much against the first movie, it lacked the bang and creativity it had. Expand
reellmJul 16, 2015
4/5★ If you are a fan of The SpongeBob, as I am, this film will tickle your fancy. Zippy, crazy and meta to the max, the mix of animation styles meshed with live action will please the pop culture enthusiast and the kids alike.
It did feel
It did feel like there were two movies, one focused on the Bikini Bottom crew, and the other is Antonio Banderas doing his Jack Sparrow impression.
Verdict: For fans of the show and kids.
GandpugMay 20, 2015
(Before you read the review I did watch this when it came out in the advanced screening but never made a review back then so...... yeah)

This movie is just so hilarious....... the jokes are funny. This is just an awesome film to watch and have a laugh. The first was great and all but this one just takes what was in the first film, put it in this one and expand it to THE MAX!

This is a great film to watch with anybody who likes sponge bob or just needs a good laugh.
Recommended so much you have to watch this film.
Movi3R3vi3werFeb 7, 2015
Thankfully, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water is a really fun time. It captures the original spirit of the show and maybe in the could end up being a cult classic, especially for stoners. Smartly written and filled with multiple gutThankfully, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water is a really fun time. It captures the original spirit of the show and maybe in the could end up being a cult classic, especially for stoners. Smartly written and filled with multiple gut busting one liners, this is a movie that can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike. Expand
tjman09Mar 30, 2015
Spongebob: Sponge Out of Water is a decent film, but I wish the filmmakers hadn't gone so far out of their way to reach the stoner audience. I found this Movie mildly enjoyable as it's well animated, and funny, but the story is verySpongebob: Sponge Out of Water is a decent film, but I wish the filmmakers hadn't gone so far out of their way to reach the stoner audience. I found this Movie mildly enjoyable as it's well animated, and funny, but the story is very unfocused, and it makes a bunch of turns and has scenes that don't really further the story very well. If you watch this movie with a kid you'll have a little fun, but you may be slightly confused. Expand
AGNMar 15, 2015
Although I wanted more from a SpongeBob movie and while the story was whacked up and crazy, the frantic movie itself, the humor, the impressive cast and soundtrack, and the great use of 3D really made up for the movie's painful shortcomings.Although I wanted more from a SpongeBob movie and while the story was whacked up and crazy, the frantic movie itself, the humor, the impressive cast and soundtrack, and the great use of 3D really made up for the movie's painful shortcomings. If you're a SpongeBob fan, this is a real treat for you.

Score: 6.9/10
Grade: B- Decent
CorporalPajamasFeb 11, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie was far beyond enjoyable, the time travelling sequences made it worth seeing in 2d and 3d, the jokes were solid (i would expect nothing less) and the adventure was grand enouh to feel this was truky a successor to the original spongebob movie. Going into the movie i was hoping for a nice chunk of traditional animation and i was definitely pleased, However i dont know if they spent enough time out if the water to really warrant the title "sponge out of water".The cgi was downright impressive, the animation was solid, the characters were well voiced and the movie was not what one would call predictable. The rap at the ending though, was downright atrocious.it was clearly done by the creator of "epic rap battles of history" and as such reeks of his "im better than you" "no im better than you"lyrical content and his copy and paste delivery style, it had nothing to do with the film we had just watched and it cuts off the closest thing you get to a play through of the spongebob theme,it smelled so badly that it costed the film a point . Expand
SpongeBobfan13Feb 14, 2015
Sponge Out of Water is a pretty good movie! I went to see it and I loved it! It is a little confusing at first, but is good. The only thing I don't like is how SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Sandy, Squidward and Plankton are only on land forSponge Out of Water is a pretty good movie! I went to see it and I loved it! It is a little confusing at first, but is good. The only thing I don't like is how SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Sandy, Squidward and Plankton are only on land for about thirty minutes! Overall, it is a good movie! Expand
Gogeta149Feb 14, 2015
Well, I liked it a lot, but the movie advertises a lot the CGI, but the movie only has like a 30% of CGI, the rest of the movie is traditional animation, But the movie itself is great, it doesn't fall in the bad written and rushed sequels, itWell, I liked it a lot, but the movie advertises a lot the CGI, but the movie only has like a 30% of CGI, the rest of the movie is traditional animation, But the movie itself is great, it doesn't fall in the bad written and rushed sequels, it doesn't make me laugh a lot, a kids movie with adult jokes.
It's a good movie, but isn't better than the first one
DavidV293May 19, 2015
It sure is not as good as the first one but this movie does not fail to entertain me. Every scene is enjoyable and i'm sure if you're not a spongebob fan you will at least laugh just a little no matter what. In the end SpongeBob: Sponge OutIt sure is not as good as the first one but this movie does not fail to entertain me. Every scene is enjoyable and i'm sure if you're not a spongebob fan you will at least laugh just a little no matter what. In the end SpongeBob: Sponge Out of Water is definitely on my top best. Expand
jrdacosta2002Oct 17, 2015
The SpongeBob Movie Sponge Out of Water Is Great Film I Love SpongeBob Also Love 1st Movie Animation Is Good Live Action Is Awesome Characters Is Awesome
EpicLadySpongeDec 27, 2015
SpongeBob's back in his 2nd movie in theaters! He's only going out of water for just a few minutes of movie time (similar to how Godzilla (2014) done it). Despite that, SpongeBob has made his adventures look like he's ready for his nextSpongeBob's back in his 2nd movie in theaters! He's only going out of water for just a few minutes of movie time (similar to how Godzilla (2014) done it). Despite that, SpongeBob has made his adventures look like he's ready for his next greatest adventure coming soon in theaters. Expand
MasterRileyFeb 15, 2017
The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water is a funny and enjoyable continuation of our favourite undersea sponge. I was a bit disappointed by how little out of water screen time there was, but otherwise it has a lot of charm and wit.
zabianJul 8, 2018
The movie is hilarious and has great action, also the plot is great and the end is funny.
DavidWardenFeb 6, 2015
Spongebob is funny again and also Burger Beard .
pbjmsFeb 7, 2015
A great movie, and a hilarious one. It has a great story line, and a LOT of humor, and there are even multiple things in the movie that are from older Spongebob episodes. I recommend seeing this right away - you will not regret it.
ThegodfathersonFeb 6, 2015
Zany, and the most quirky fun you will have at any movie. Sponge Out Of Water is a huge improvement over the first one. Sponegbob is Nickelodeon's king, it is the only reason Nick went out and made a movie for this. And believe me, it wasZany, and the most quirky fun you will have at any movie. Sponge Out Of Water is a huge improvement over the first one. Sponegbob is Nickelodeon's king, it is the only reason Nick went out and made a movie for this. And believe me, it was satisfying. This movie looks and feels like it's for kids, but the humor is very adulty, and it seems like Nick wanted this to be like the first, older seasons of SpongeBob, quirky and fun. All the voices return from the show, but Antonio Bandreas played, really well, a pirate. This movie feels like a stoner drug trip, the effects are turned up so high, that the scenes move at a jarring pace. Sponge Out Of Water, kept me entertained and laughing during it's runtime. It is a a movie not only that kids can enjoy, but adults as well. Expand
ProteusFeb 7, 2015
Want to know how funny this movie is? Some of the funniest jokes in the trailer aren't even in the movie! True, Instead of ALL the funny jokes from a movie going into the trailer.

That pretty much sums it up. go see this movie.
Red-Opposom-098Feb 7, 2015
This movie is great! It's great to see spongebob back to his old self (the nostalgia is real.) This is really entertaining if your an new or old spongebob fan. In my opinion this doesn't really feel like an 1 hour 32 min movie, not sayingThis movie is great! It's great to see spongebob back to his old self (the nostalgia is real.) This is really entertaining if your an new or old spongebob fan. In my opinion this doesn't really feel like an 1 hour 32 min movie, not saying this in a bad way, but it really feels like a 1 hour 50 min movie. One problem I have is that the superhero scenes are not as long as you think, it's at least 30-35 mins of it

Pros-
Entertaining
Stays true to the show

Cons-
Superhero scenes are not as long
ThinkKopiGamingFeb 9, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is Great and funny i love it do more movies of SpongeBob Movies.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
ivanborgesFeb 6, 2015
Engraçado e criativo. As metalinguagens que usaram no filmes foram muito inteligentes. O 3D foi muito bem aplicado e muito bem feito e de forma alguma atrapalhou os fãs do bob 2D. Outro ponto muito interessante são as referências e homenagensEngraçado e criativo. As metalinguagens que usaram no filmes foram muito inteligentes. O 3D foi muito bem aplicado e muito bem feito e de forma alguma atrapalhou os fãs do bob 2D. Outro ponto muito interessante são as referências e homenagens que o filme faz, como a dos golfinhos. Expand
LeZeeOct 24, 2015
SpongeBob's return to the big screen in a grand scale.

SpongeBob's return to the big screen in a grand scale.

It's been a decade since the first film, definitely a long wait for the fans. That film was a hit, but I don't know why it took so long for the second. Honestly, I loved this one too, albeit I'm not a diehard fan, just a supporter. One of the beautiful cartoon universe with unique characters that can entertain all ages. The new addition, especially for this film only, the Antonio Banderas did his part wonderfully. Never seen before stunts in SpongeBob world that comes in the final battle.

Whenever I review an animation movie, I usually bring 2D and 3D animation topics to denote how the technology has transformed. 'Asterix' from France, 'Doraemon' from Japan, and recently America's own 'Mister Peabody' remodelled in 3D and saw tremendous success. So why not SpongeBob, but only for a small portion they have tried and it was awesome. Most importantly the story blended well with the twist in the character reformation.

This movie is in a second batch queue for the Oscar race, that mean a slim chance to get a nominee, but I don't think it will make. That does not mean the movie is bad, it was very good, so entertaining and super funny. Simply not an Oscar material, that's all. If anyone hasn't seen it yet, I absolutely suggest to try it out. I hope it won't take another 10 years for the next movie in the series.

SEROJDec 15, 2015
Nickelodeon's greatest icon - Spongebob will make you laugh once more with this fun adventure with him and Plankton! As a big fan of the series i enjoyed the plot, but i think it could've been better! Overall i really liked it and i highlyNickelodeon's greatest icon - Spongebob will make you laugh once more with this fun adventure with him and Plankton! As a big fan of the series i enjoyed the plot, but i think it could've been better! Overall i really liked it and i highly recommend this to all children out there! Expand
jacob4Mar 17, 2016
An unexpectedly satisfying film! This movie may have seemed doomed from seeing the trailers, but those trailers were a bit misleading. The life action segments really make brief appearances and the live action battle isn't 'til like the endAn unexpectedly satisfying film! This movie may have seemed doomed from seeing the trailers, but those trailers were a bit misleading. The life action segments really make brief appearances and the live action battle isn't 'til like the end of the movie. So mostly a large majority of the film was the typical 2D animation. But still, there was plenty of hilarious humor and comedy, an interesting story, the characters are great, and the songs are pretty fun. They were even able to sneak an Epic Rap Battle in there which was like one of the best musicals and parts of the film. A great movie that even the adults might enjoy! Expand
AnthonyJayceFeb 17, 2015
This was a very skit like film, and they really weren't out of water very much, but yet the film kept me very entertained, couldn't stop watching as the hilarious randomness went throughout the film. I would have given more than a seven outThis was a very skit like film, and they really weren't out of water very much, but yet the film kept me very entertained, couldn't stop watching as the hilarious randomness went throughout the film. I would have given more than a seven out of ten average if it had a better ending, the ending was very quick as if the writer just wanted to hurry up and end the film. But still great move! Expand
TheAwesomeUserFeb 19, 2015
This was a surprisingly good sequel to the original Spongebob Movie. It had dozens of funny jokes, and the 3D animation looked awesome. The plot is OK if you look very deep into it, but it's great if you don't.

But that ending with the

But that ending with the Seagulls is forced and cheesy as hell.
SchnitzelkuhFeb 21, 2015
If you are going to watch a movie about spongebob you know what you are expecting, and that is exactly what the movie does. It is funny in a way that is very similar to the original show on nick, you get a lot of completely random nonsenseIf you are going to watch a movie about spongebob you know what you are expecting, and that is exactly what the movie does. It is funny in a way that is very similar to the original show on nick, you get a lot of completely random nonsense and plot twists. The jokes are very diverse, the same type of joke is only reused on very rare occasions. All in all i found the movie very funny and can recommend it to anyone who likes the show on nickelodeon. Expand
MattBrady99Mar 10, 2015
Who known that a SpongeBob Movie produce by Nickelodeon film would actually turn out not as terrible as I thought it will just because of Nickelodeon track record of the last couple years.

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water is about

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water is about a very important recipe goes missing, Spongebob jumps out of 2D and into our 3D world to retrieve it. But it's not going to be easy getting it back, as a scurvy pirate stands between Spongebob and the recipe.

I remember the time when Nickelodeon was the best with are favorite programs that we use to watch and enjoy the hell out of, but after a while when all the programs was getting cancelled one by one and Nickelodeon itself was getting watered down with endless bullsh*t that we didn't want, we already sawed what was coming for Nickelodeon and now it's now known as the dropping ground of uninspiring ideas of new TV shows that wouldn't even make it to season 2 or 3. Sponge was the same it stared off great that quickly turned bland and the same recycled jokes, and the trailer to the SpongeBob movie 2 looked like Nickelodeon was scraping the barrel, but to my surprise the movie wasn't all that bad.

Let's just call the movie of what it is and that's a love letter to SpongeBob fans, only true SpongeBobs fans that loved the show back in the day when it was good and more well thought out. All the voice actors from the show do make a return to the movie and they all do good in they roles and I really don't see anyone else replacing them, because they were born to play their character's. The animation was pretty good, now in the trailer you can see the live action 3D animation well that's actually a couple minutes long in the last part, the whole movie is the good old animation that we loved in the first place.

Antonio Banderas as the villain was surprisingly enjoyable. Now normally when big names actors do these kids movie just for money and nothing else, not even trying in they role, but here is totally different I mean was Antonio Banderas actually put effort in his character and that's why his character was a enjoyable and fun villain.

For problems these a couple like: Now I talked about Antonio Banderas villain and how enjoyable he was, but his story ark and his big plan I didn't really give a care about. If you're not a fan of SpongeBob please stay away from the movie, it's not going to change your mind about the show and all that.

Overall SpongeBob the Movie 2 was good time. The movie gived me that nostalgia feeling of the 1-3 seasons of SpongeBob, as I said before I love letter to the fans.
danwestApr 10, 2015
If you want The Spongebob Movie (the original), then don't watch this film. This movie is more like an expanded rendition of the original Spongebob TV episodes, rather than a film format. The plot doesn't speak otherwise, but this spin on theIf you want The Spongebob Movie (the original), then don't watch this film. This movie is more like an expanded rendition of the original Spongebob TV episodes, rather than a film format. The plot doesn't speak otherwise, but this spin on the "Plankton steals the KP formula" formula is sure to keep you interested.

The characters are still as colourful as ever, and the jokes don't feel too forced (except for those goddamn seagulls) and there is little to no toilet humour, which can seem pretty refreshing for a mid 2010s kid's film. Luckily, the CGI sections didn't drag on too long - and the 2D animated parts were very well executed.

But I do have a few problems with the film. Firstly, it's very creepy at times. I'm not kidding, I'm surprised my 9-year old brother wasn't freaked out by some of the scenes. For example, in the scene where our character's first meet Sandy after the main incident, Sandy acts in a rather disturbing manner. Then, in the vortex transitions, the music and imagery is even more disturbing. I definitely wouldn't recommend this one for anyone under 5. I'm surprised at how they got away with a U rating too.

Secondly, as I said, whilst the toilet humour is far and subtle, it does feel very awkward and out of the place. But, if you do want to see a seagull defecate - be my guest. All in all, I'd definitely recommend this film to any Spongebob fans, and whilst it may never live up to the original's standard, its still currently the best children's film of 2015 so far.
darkbloodshed13May 24, 2016
I went into this movie expecting hate it but, by the end I found myself wishing it would never end. I was expecting it to be similar to newest episodes of SpongeBob but to my surprise it was more similar to the first season. It actually madeI went into this movie expecting hate it but, by the end I found myself wishing it would never end. I was expecting it to be similar to newest episodes of SpongeBob but to my surprise it was more similar to the first season. It actually made me, a hater of the show want to go and watch some season 1 of the show. In conclusion if you are just looking for a good watch this movie will not disappoint. Expand
kamhaghJul 9, 2015
finally an excuse to watch spognebob as a grown up :D it was good, it would be hard for some people to see spongebob and the other characters in 3d. but it was fine in my option! most of it is 2d anyway!
CineAutoctonoDec 6, 2015
An incredible movie SpongeBob animacio'n surprised with original animation and live-action , also highlighted the work of Antonio Banderas fun as Burger Bread .
DanBurritoSep 12, 2015
Just as I expected from a Spongebob movie- random, crazy but utterly hilarious. There are only a few problems. Y'know that hilarious joke in the trailer where you think Patrick has fallen in love with a woman but he's actually in love withJust as I expected from a Spongebob movie- random, crazy but utterly hilarious. There are only a few problems. Y'know that hilarious joke in the trailer where you think Patrick has fallen in love with a woman but he's actually in love with her ice cream? Well in the actual movie they ruin the joke by making it clear that he's looking at the ice cream. Still, the other jokes were hilarious. The bits in Bikini Bottom are the best bits (and thankfully, the majority of the movie takes place there) because the superhero thing in the live action world gets old eventually. It should have just been a one off joke. But if you're a fan of Spongebob, watch this wonderfully silly and crazy movie. Expand
cwilliamhudJan 18, 2016
Cons: Uneven humor that is a hit or miss, very bizarre sequences, and only a very small portion of the movie is "out of water". Pros: Surprisingly enjoyable, offers humor for wide variety of ages, and the bizarre sequences are soCons: Uneven humor that is a hit or miss, very bizarre sequences, and only a very small portion of the movie is "out of water". Pros: Surprisingly enjoyable, offers humor for wide variety of ages, and the bizarre sequences are so outrageous you might think the writers were on some sort of drugs.
Consensus: Overall entertaining movie despite uneven and occasionally bizarre humor. Worth the watch
Jollyjoe1000Nov 3, 2015
It's funny the super powers are funny and cool. it's much more hilarious then the first movie, and it just awesome, and the land scenes are great, and so is every thing else.
PanchogulApr 5, 2020
Bob Esponja: Un Héroe Fuera del Agua (2015)

Sinopsis: Bob Esponja realiza una búsqueda para descubrir una receta robada que lo lleva a otra dimensión, otro mundo, donde vive aventuras junto a un pirata. Opinión: Extremadamente divertida,
Bob Esponja: Un Héroe Fuera del Agua (2015)

Sinopsis:

Opinión:

Extremadamente divertida, cómica y repleta de acción y aventuras, supera con creces a su predecesora en todos los aspectos y es fiel a la serie de TV en términos de animación.

Valoración:

5 ⭐ de 5
lucbevibrasilApr 24, 2016
If you do not like the series, you will not have fun, but those who like it a fun blast. The film in general is nice, very crazy, funny and silly. Antonio Banderas is irreverent and secure in his role as a pirate who wants at any cost to theIf you do not like the series, you will not have fun, but those who like it a fun blast. The film in general is nice, very crazy, funny and silly. Antonio Banderas is irreverent and secure in his role as a pirate who wants at any cost to the Krabby Patty formula. Expand
IAmTechMay 23, 2016
I wish I could have reviewed this earlier, but I didn't had an Metacritic account then. The movie is alright; the jokes are not the best but are still quite clever, and the visuals are appealing to both fans of the show and to newcomers. TheI wish I could have reviewed this earlier, but I didn't had an Metacritic account then. The movie is alright; the jokes are not the best but are still quite clever, and the visuals are appealing to both fans of the show and to newcomers. The only con is that the character's visuals during the live action sequences, while they are supposed to look as similar as to the original show, feel an little off to me. Overall, I would personally recommend this movie to children who are familiar of the show. Expand
wariothelegendJul 17, 2016
Spongebob has been a long-running series for more than 10 years now, and it doesn't seem to have any sign of stopping just yet. If you thought this would be a continuation for the 1st movie, think again. In fact, anybody who has never watchSpongebob has been a long-running series for more than 10 years now, and it doesn't seem to have any sign of stopping just yet. If you thought this would be a continuation for the 1st movie, think again. In fact, anybody who has never watch the series could get in touch with the characters and story. Spongebob has not lost it's charm in this film. It's still comedic and entertaining but not enough for your grand parents to be laughing out loud.

The plot is quite simple really. Spongebob and his friends must go above the surface to stop this pirate named: Burger Beard (Antonio Banderas). But that's the thing. The "Out of water" gimmick barely last for 20 minutes. But that mean it's still comedic? Of course it is! The morale maybe cheesy but it's still one of the best films I've ever seen!
MonkiReviewsMay 28, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot, even if it is not as good as the first. I enjoyed the animation, which was most of the movie. This was the best Spongebob thing in a while. They are also only superheroes for 10 minutes, which is sad. All in all though, itI enjoyed it a lot, even if it is not as good as the first. I enjoyed the animation, which was most of the movie. This was the best Spongebob thing in a while. They are also only superheroes for 10 minutes, which is sad. All in all though, it is good. Expand
BabyRantsMar 29, 2017
I might be the only one to actually love this movie. I thought it was funny, and all out awesome, and fantastic. They could've added more characters from episodes of the show though.
McJuggerThunderApr 15, 2017
This was a really funny movie even if it wasn't as good as I expected it to be. The CGI was nice. Overall this movie was ok. 71/100
Grade B
3.55 out of 5 stars
KaptonSMar 18, 2018
thi is a good movie cant lie the animation is the best ive seen and the cgi is more on focus with the cartoon part of spongebob and also there is a refrence to flanders in the credits overall the movie is so much comedy and i love it
Vulf001Jun 14, 2018
I liked this movie more than the first one. The characters are like in the TV show,the plot is great and this movie is just fun. It's a must-see.