ARC Entertainment (II) | Release Date: July 8, 2011
7.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 76 Ratings
Watch Now
mykhawkeSep 17, 2012
A magnificent return to form from john carpenter, a wholly original story, consistent and creepy tone, and decent performances steer this film into classic territory, kudos, carpenter, kudos.
mcmanusthebraveSep 17, 2012
Excellent
samarathenymphSep 17, 2012
We love you carpenter, but if you follow this with another ghosts of mars, i will be very disappointed, this is a perfect film, this lets us know that you are still an exceptional director, please, don't crush my faith in you - samarathenymph xoxo
TheQuietGamerOct 11, 2016
John Carpenter proves why he's a legend in the horror genre once again. While perhaps not the most original of concepts, The Ward manages to be very entertaining nonetheless. The atmosphere, style, dialog, and score are all reminiscent ofJohn Carpenter proves why he's a legend in the horror genre once again. While perhaps not the most original of concepts, The Ward manages to be very entertaining nonetheless. The atmosphere, style, dialog, and score are all reminiscent of those cult classic horror flicks of the 70's and 80's. Particularly the ones based on Stephen King's works.

It's also got some of the best jump scares I've ever seen. Even when you can see them coming from a mile away, (which honestly most of the time you can) the way they are handled still makes for a good shock. Admittedly none of the horror is actually scary, so don't expect any of this to stick with you into the night after watching.

The plot itself is very entertaining and filled with mystery. The big reveal, while perhaps a bit confusing to wrap your head around, is very satisfying. It's nice to get the answers when they finally arrive and I honestly did not see that coming.

Mix in fantastic performances all around and you've got a really entertaining horror film. Carpenter excellently brings back the horror movies of yesteryear after a lengthy departure. It's already been a few years since this one has come out, and based on what I've seen here, I really hope he doesn't wait as long to return to filmmaking like he did after Ghosts of Mars. I personally want to see more new stuff from the guy.
FilipeNetoJul 6, 2018
Dark and scary places with ghosts, questionable therapies and some disrespect for it's patients humanity... usually, this is how we imagine an insane asylum. This recipe, which has allowed most of old sanatoriums to gain a reputation forDark and scary places with ghosts, questionable therapies and some disrespect for it's patients humanity... usually, this is how we imagine an insane asylum. This recipe, which has allowed most of old sanatoriums to gain a reputation for being haunted, is quite visible in this film, which tells the story of a mental patient who is terrified by a ghost. Set in the sixties (it seems that John Carpenter truly enjoys this period, where his career began), the film quickly creates a positive tension and suspense. This is done by putting together these ideas and a plot full of unanswered questions. Some scenes in the beginning of the film are only understood in the end, as if they were clues for the public to find its own answer. Some of the movie's most intense scenes, unsuitable for the faint-hearted, resort to scary medical techniques that were top-of-the-line at the time. Amber Heard is the protagonist, and is OK in her character, fulfilling without surprising; Mamie Gummer and Danielle Panabaker gave life to the crazy colleagues I liked the most, as they are the opposite of each other but interact very well with Heard. Jared Harris has been convincing in the role of the doctor. So, this film is far from completely satisfying Carpenter's fans, but was enough as an appetizer for them. Expand