Paramount Pictures | Release Date: August 5, 1955
Generally favorable reviews based on 8 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
DawdlingPoetNov 24, 2021
This is an entertaining watch, with different characters trying to second guess who the titular thief is. I enjoyed the setting, the glitzy French riviera and of course the cast includes two pretty big names - Grace Kelly and Cary Grant. CaryThis is an entertaining watch, with different characters trying to second guess who the titular thief is. I enjoyed the setting, the glitzy French riviera and of course the cast includes two pretty big names - Grace Kelly and Cary Grant. Cary Grant comes across as quite suave and sophisticated as his character, John Robie.

I thought this was a nice, fun watch, with inevitably a hint of nostalgia about it (it was released in 1955). There are the scenes with women fighting over the male lead character and I suppose it has a hint of a James Bond film about it - if any then I guess it'd have to be 'Casino Royale', although this is decidedly less an action/thriller film and more a somewhat light romantic drama, with some fairly witty pieces of dialogue at times. It is a little cliched and not, overall, greatly exciting as such (there are some fairly thrilling scenes but only now and again) but I enjoyed it for the most part (cliches and slowish plot pace aside) and I would recommend it to others regardless as a good(ish) watch, yes.
movieloverandiJul 14, 2021
For me this is one of Alfred Hitchcock's weaker films, Though is has some great moments and wonderful acting from Cary Grant and Grace Kelly it lacks the suspense and charm of his other films.