Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: January 10, 2020
6.0
Mixed or average reviews based on 53 Ratings
Watch Now
ChrisMizerakJan 13, 2020
I don't know if it's because the first two films I saw in 2020 were so terrible or if I didn't have high expectations going in, but the new horror adventure "Underwater" was definitely better than I thought it would be. It's not that good perI don't know if it's because the first two films I saw in 2020 were so terrible or if I didn't have high expectations going in, but the new horror adventure "Underwater" was definitely better than I thought it would be. It's not that good per se so much as it is a perfect film for rental. Considering its strengths and weaknesses result in a middling experience, I think a one-time rental is the ideal way "Underwater" should be viewed.

It's pretty much exactly what you expect it to be: an "Alien" clone that takes place deep into the depths of the ocean as opposed to outer space. It tells the basics of the story okay at least, although the film itself is far from consistent as executed. On one hand, it wastes no time getting straight to the action. However, one can certainly argue that it comes at a cost though.

That said cost being properly introducing and/or setting up characters before they're thrust into the action. Whatever attempts at character development there are later on the film are thrown in rather randomly, distractingly so I might add. It's as if they forgot about that aspect at a certain point in writing the script and just added it on before they ran out of time. That results in the scenes where we learn more about the characters coming across as awkward, disingenuous and unfinished.

T.J. Miller at the very least is trying to break the gloomy and serious mood with some comic relief, to middling effect. Not bad and still appreciated, but not that necessary in hindsight. I guess that Kristen Stewart is alright as our main lead. She gets across what she needs to, even if there's not much meat to her role. I can't say that there were any other standouts in the rest of the cast, so I won't.

For the first two-thirds of the picture, "Underwater" is a watchable time-killer that does what you want it to fulfill. There were actually a few effective jump scares that took place back to back as the characters were talking and analyzing what's taking place and then the scares come right then and there. It's certainly a more effective approach as opposed to complete silence that obviously translates to the inevitable scare.

By the time we get to the last third, however, not only does it start to get jumbled and clunky in its storytelling and filmmaking, but it loses gas real fast due to the outcomes being outlined a mile away. In spite of a significant lack of consistency in its craftsmanship, "Underwater" is a passable venture under the sea that does what it sets out to do and not much more than that. Rent it once just to fulfill a film connoisseur's equivalent to fast food and the ultimate purpose of "Underwater" is realized.
TryASummersaultJan 14, 2020
I must say i expected something solid form the trailer, but was honestly surprised at how effective this film turned out. I enjoyed director William Eubank's ambitious eye for futuristic sci/fi in his other films; LOVE and The Signal, but heI must say i expected something solid form the trailer, but was honestly surprised at how effective this film turned out. I enjoyed director William Eubank's ambitious eye for futuristic sci/fi in his other films; LOVE and The Signal, but he upped the ante to gargantuan heights in this film. Eubanks should be a director to watch for the Sci/fi thriller genre as he is absolutely brilliant with his keen eye for detail and intense visuals. Apparently this film was shot in 2017 but Fox studios waited on it. There is definitely influence throughout from films such as Alien, Leviathan, The Abyss, Sphere, and even Cloverfield, but it utilizes those inherent aspects perfectly to still have its own incredibly vicious identity. The film starts with insane intensity and never lets up with action and thrills in its massively detailed set pieces and terrific deigned brutal creatures. The cast is uncanny but surprisingly charming, intriguing, and funny at times. I think part of this film's unfortunate partial sabotage ratings/bad box office (15Mworld on 80M budget) comes from people misjudging Kristen Stewart for this particular role. She doesn't deserve the hate she gets and is actually phenomenal in this story with a great deal of emotion and perseverance. TJ Miller is the comedy relief and hilarious as always. Vincent Cassel is his solid standard self, and the others are solid as well. As things progress in depths things get viscerally chaotic with some of the coolest creatures I've seen and I've seen them all as a big sci/fi guy. The creature designs are impeccable, and i give the visual effects team great respect for conjuring up such ballistically sinister deep sea monsters. After so many films it has to be difficult to keep coming up with unique concepts for these creatures but they had huge imagination with these. Trust me when I say the final act is GARGANTUAN in itself. Overall this film is a visual feast for the eyes and ears (soundtrack/sound fx amazing as well) of most Sci/fi/thriller/action/horror fans especially creature/monster fans. I think this will go down as one of the better deep sea horror's when people finally see it. Don't let the misleading low ratings fool you, as this is a fantastic film. Expand
marco34laJan 11, 2020
This movie is an ATROCITY!! It is senseless, characterless and story-less. It's a jumbled mess from the beginning to 1 hr 10 mins when I walked out. There are some cool shots, a creature that's a knock-off from alien, but who cares... not theThis movie is an ATROCITY!! It is senseless, characterless and story-less. It's a jumbled mess from the beginning to 1 hr 10 mins when I walked out. There are some cool shots, a creature that's a knock-off from alien, but who cares... not the audience, as 2 others walked out. January is typically the WORST month for movie releases... and the one proves it. Expand
VancomycinJan 12, 2020
I myself, like you, also left the theater with several unanswered questions.
GinaKJan 10, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A decent January movie with fairly good (and at least two very good) actors, and with a better director, film editor, and set design, this movie could have been more entertaining. The sea “monsters” were perhaps the most disappointing of all – looking more like large slugs than anything else. Because the pacing was fairly good, the movie held my attention, and I cared about some of the characters. Sadly, what the movie lacked was a feeling of real claustrophobia, tension, and menace. Expand
JDIGITALJan 10, 2020
This film jumps right into the action with little to no character development or exposition. Underwater is a fast paced survival action thrill ride that draws inspiration from the famous Alien Films, Deadspace Videogames, and The Abyss. ButThis film jumps right into the action with little to no character development or exposition. Underwater is a fast paced survival action thrill ride that draws inspiration from the famous Alien Films, Deadspace Videogames, and The Abyss. But Ironically, for a film set under the Ocean floor, this film has little Depth. It's a well shot entertaining underwater popcorn flick that focuses too much on The twilight princess protaganist and not enough on plot development. See it on the cheap day. Expand
FasterFabioJan 13, 2020
As a thriller movie, it goes so well building the suspense. Kristen does an amazing job carrying the movie and the CGI is nice. The movie has a good cinematography, but somethings the director moves the camera too much and the lack of lightAs a thriller movie, it goes so well building the suspense. Kristen does an amazing job carrying the movie and the CGI is nice. The movie has a good cinematography, but somethings the director moves the camera too much and the lack of light puts you in the dark with the characters, but you don’t know what is going on with them... so that bothered me sometimes Expand
Davrosdaleks1Jan 12, 2020
Yep, this is what it looked like in the trailers: Aliens underwater or a clone of Leviathan or similar movies about aquatic monsters. (There's also a good amount of disaster survival in the mixture.) A basic tale but a well directed one.

The

The whole thing looks really, really good. I think the futuristic underwater suits in these may be among some of my favorite sci-fi suit designs. It is clear that effort was made to plan out the future deep sea oil rig this movie takes place in and around. The huge scale to this whole thing is made clear. You get a great opening shot of how deep the operation is. For a movie shot with a lot of darkness scenes, it is well lit. Cinematography, creature design, and pacing are all tight.

The best parts are the beginning and the end. These are the moments that buck expectations. I don't want to spoil anything, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Only downside is that the music and sound effects are too loud at points and the dialogue is so quick that you can miss plot points if you're not paying attention.

This is fun. Definitely didn't deserve to be held back for almost three years and dumped in January. I recommend this specifically for the beginning and ending.
marcolittJan 10, 2020
Powerful moments, high tensione and clautrophobia all the time. Kristen Stewart is the best actress of her generation. Great!
zmgalen2000Jan 12, 2020
Exhilarating and genuinely horrifying, Underwater is a movie that shatters expectations with one of the most uniquely-executed plotlines of any modern horror film. With stunning effects, immaculate cast performances, and true suspense, IExhilarating and genuinely horrifying, Underwater is a movie that shatters expectations with one of the most uniquely-executed plotlines of any modern horror film. With stunning effects, immaculate cast performances, and true suspense, I found myself sweating while grasping my movie seat, waiting for the next jumpscare and plot twist. Horror movies are easily blundered, and Underwater is precariously curated enough to bring a fresh take to cinemas. Expand
PanchogulJan 11, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mis expectativas eran bastante altas, hasta que descubrí que tenía calificación para todo público y me invadió un poco el escepticismo, sin embargo, esperaba al menos entretenerme y el resultado fue por lejos mejor de lo que esperaba.

Una vez que empieza la película ya no hay vuelta atrás, es un frenético thriller repleto de suspenso y bastante acción, tiene muchos momentos tensos y uno no sabe si el grupo va a sobrevivir.

Tenemos a Kristen Stewart (Crepúsculo) como protagonista principal, la verdad es que lo hace bastante bien, su actuación es decente comparada con otras películas, luce muy hermosa aquí, luce permanentemente asustada toda la película pero dispuesta a salir adelante de la horrenda situación que la acecha a ella y a su equipo, lo único malo son los excesivos primeros planos del rostro de nerviosismo extremo de Kristen y el personaje cómico lejos de ser gracioso es odioso y pueril.

Destaco la banda sonora y el diseño de las criaturas, tanto las docenas de tamaño promedio que aparecen como la gigantesca que parece sacada de un cuento de horror.
mrc_brnJan 19, 2020
Enjoyable enough, but flawed monster movie. Particularly enjoyed the creativity that went into the monster design(s). The acting too was good and the underwater darkness made for a great atmosphere. That said, I had several grievances (in noEnjoyable enough, but flawed monster movie. Particularly enjoyed the creativity that went into the monster design(s). The acting too was good and the underwater darkness made for a great atmosphere. That said, I had several grievances (in no particular order):
1. It was hard to follow the dialogue on account of them speaking while in diving gear and the constant noises presumably coming from the collapsing surroundings.
2. The darkness in combination with the choppy editing of some of the action sequences made it hard to follow what the hell was going on at times.
3. The monsters behaved very irrationally, sometimes super aggressive, sometimes very skittish. Pick one and stay consistent.

All in all there's worse ways to spend a couple of hours, especially if you have a weakness for monster movies, like I do.
wollam11Jan 17, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fascinating to consider if Poseidon or Cthulhu exists. And to see it play out on screen? Nirvana. Expand
JamesIrish68Jan 14, 2020
I am well aware of the derision Kirsten Stewart seems to attract because of her supposed woodenness in the Twilight saga. As I'm not a teenage girl, I obviously haven't seen any of them.
So I went along to Underwater without any
So I went along to Underwater without any preconceptions about her.
She’s not wooden here, not by a long shot. She gives a great performance. The entire cast does. There are flaws for sure but overall, it's a very decent horror sci-fi flick. I've seen it described elsewhere as Lovecraftian, which seems apt. The claustrophobia of being on the ocean bottom at 1000 times surface pressure in a tin can death trap is very well portrayed and very disturbing. Ignore the Twilight mob and go see this one.
JLuis_001Jan 18, 2020
The proposal isn't really new but lent itself to something more stimulating and not so conventional, therefore the story cannot exploit its cast properly and fails to be more enveloping.

I liked the tone and the atmosphere it's okay but the

I liked the tone and the atmosphere it's okay but the film replaces a suspense that could continue to be thunderous but subtle with an accelerated pace of action that avoids all kinds of dramatic depth.

It offers entertainment and that after all is its offer but how entertaining it is will really end up depending on each viewer.
For my part it was just a pretty regular movie.
ChrisM1979Jan 20, 2020
Honestly nothing really new about this film other than the location it was set. But I felt is was reasonably well done. If you are in the mood for a movie it was not GREAT! but not bad either. Just okay.
Iamgab1Jan 17, 2020
This movie is surprisingly good. Maybe not very original but it’s really well made and entertain. If you’re someone that wants to go to movies to have a good time, it’s the perfect movie.
TimbokineboJan 19, 2020
I went in expecting another B-movie and I was so wrong. Executed very well - props, shots, writing, CGI, acting. I loved it. Now, easily, one of my favorite Sci-fi flicks of all time. Inspiring my own work. RECOMMEND.