20th Century Fox | Release Date: March 23, 2018
6.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 119 Ratings
Watch Now
BrianMcCriticJul 5, 2018
While the I Phone gimmick didn't really impressed me the film itself held together fairly nicely throughout. Even as you figure out what was real pretty easily, I still enjoyed the trip through Claire Fly's mind, a middle 7. B+
yumboApr 3, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Unsane has a split personality - it's really one movie before it becomes, with real, surprising intensity, another entirely - and yet it works both moment-to-moment, which is a testament to Steven Soderbergh's skill as a director and Claire Foy's interpretation of the character, and it works as a commentary on the hostile world that women face on all fronts, especially from men who idealize them. Here, a stalker's idealization of Foy's character is part of the harassment, and she confronts that in such a raw, powerful monologue that you're left to reflect on that as much as anything. That's the second movie. The first movie is a kind of goofy horror flick in which her character can't get out of a mental facility after she unwittingly signs herself into one after a counseling session. Part of what makes Unsane interesting (for awhile) is Sawyer (Foy) is far from a simple victim; she's kind of a snot, and also destructive, and both qualities come out during her stay in the the co-ed commons area. This makes Sawyer more, not less, likable; she's real and unpredictable, liking who likes, mocking who she doesn't. She's a person, in other words, like the rest of us. Which makes her stalker's fairytale vision of her all the more unfair and selfish. Not a bad little movie, and Foy's legit good. She balances tough and touching surprisingly. When her key scene - in a padded isolation room - comes, she nails it. It's real acting in a B-movie plot. Expand
TVJerryMar 27, 2018
Claire Foy follows her regal role as Queen Elizabeth in "The Crown" to play an unflappable American who gets flapped when she finds herself in a mental hospital. The film starts interestingly and slowly turns paranoid, as she copes with herClaire Foy follows her regal role as Queen Elizabeth in "The Crown" to play an unflappable American who gets flapped when she finds herself in a mental hospital. The film starts interestingly and slowly turns paranoid, as she copes with her stalker. Director Steven Soderbergh shot most of it on an iphone and it definitely has a scrappy, crappy low-budget look. As the plot points strain credibility, the idea is floated that maybe she really has lost it. If you're willing to accept that premise, then you may be able to enjoy the twists. It's not one of Soderbergh'sy best, but it has an edgy, indie quality and a scenario that's certainly compelling. Expand
Megajohn85Mar 23, 2018
One of the most innovative thrillers I’ve ever seen. This film delivered on its psychological thriller approach while also delivering commentary on corruption within the health care system, especially mental Health. Major bonus points forOne of the most innovative thrillers I’ve ever seen. This film delivered on its psychological thriller approach while also delivering commentary on corruption within the health care system, especially mental Health. Major bonus points for the film being made solely on an IPhone Expand
TrevorsViewJul 26, 2018
It’s no secret that human beings want what they do not have; someone else possesses a far younger/more attractive spouse, you must obtain the same thing; someone makes you feel greatly heartfelt unlike how anyone else has, you develop anIt’s no secret that human beings want what they do not have; someone else possesses a far younger/more attractive spouse, you must obtain the same thing; someone makes you feel greatly heartfelt unlike how anyone else has, you develop an unhealthy obsession. This common mindset has historically lead mankind’s desires to turn into psychological exploitation of one another, creating deep, penetrated scars that Unsane captures through graceless closeups full of uneasy heartsickness.

One early shot views our protagonist, Sawyer, through leaves to put you in the stalker’s shoes, who followed her from Boston, causing her over the course of the film to essentially lose her mind as she turns into her critical fear. The minute the perspective moves past the bush and in front of Sawyer, wide spaces bear down with dynamic wide angles to emphasize her ultimate desires, which are all motivated by fear.

Sawyer exists alone within strange old Pennsylvania, her empty white wall apartment visualizing vulnerability, setting her in an uncomfortable predicament that similar ladies can comprehend easy. Sawyer‘s new office job only further triggers her being vulnerable to power beneath an inattentive corporate boss. While unfairly depicted, the high authorities‘ apparent unsympathetic practices still helps you naturally cheer on Sawyer’s actions. Once hospitalized due to her mention of past suicidal thoughts, images overlap when Sawyer’s medications cause hallucination. Even worse: Our eyes spot one patient offering Sawyer a welcome home present on her first night… a fresh tampon.

As these uncomfortable shots escalate, her insanity surpasses her stalker’s… he could very well have a better comprehension of love than she. Under an appropriate atmosphere, the script’s cultural relevance should educate the public about stalking effects, particularly in what social media has done to our ease of letting strangers know ourselves.

The entire crew deliver to satisfaction how people deliberately disown another’s needs, starting at the down-to-earth perspective of Nate, a hospital mate whom Sawyer befriends, as he hears when Sawyer‘s stalker began his pursuance, as told through flashbacks that never overstay their welcome. Actor Jay Pharoah absolutely triumphs as Nate, for his charitable voice alone proves perfect sanity.

Then with the cast and crew coordinated with fluidity, shifts between fast and slow beats turn you mentally sick, the camera composition set to convey disconnect between two speakers. The thrills succeed off the little details to suggest a fear that everyone’s gone mental. Regarding Oscar winner Steven Soderbergh’s (Erin Brockovich, Traffic) direction, each character’s sincere hopes right away becomes clear. However, the ensemble’s complementary arcs could’ve better completed Sawyer’s story arc, except little is learned about any of them, including Sawyer’s mother, who appears quite a bit throughout. Consequently, any attempts to deliver an emotional core through parental support turn out unsuccessful.

This love it or hate it type of movie exists chiefly for the sensory experience; although its evocative melody of unfamiliar instruments sounds appropriately written on impulse, Thomas Newman’s (American Beauty, WALL-E) musical score inadequately complements the slower moments to compensate for Sawyer and Nate’s lack of closure together. Therefore, Steven Soderbergh’s latest work isn’t a “masterpiece,” because of the missed chances: the weather conditions could have added some miraculous tension concerning the set up behind blaring walls, but the creativity did not stretch far enough. Likewise, no psychiatric patients appear multidimensional by something like religious backgrounds. Concerning spiritual undertones, Sawyer’s mother seems Christian based on the cross necklace she handles during desperate times, but it wasn’t central enough to make her memorable beyond just a plot device.

Hence most will overlook Unsane, ultimately left to be remembered for the iPhone 7 Plus cinematography. Yes, it all got filmed on said mobile device, the harsh grainy picture creating a harsh, unfamiliar spectacle without any fantasy colors—nothing looks touched up or filtered at all. Everything’s real. Imitating the mentality of younger folks nowadays stuck on mobile devices, every frame looks straight off anyone’s Facebook feed, including a few images that flaunt a deep blue Instagram-ish filter, until you realize that it’s all just a glance of the night from how Sawyer’s stalker perceives it.

Thus, a concrete definition of lost sanity can be concluded: Aiming toward whatever you lack until you no longer recognize your own reflection.

Though apprehensive to watch, Unsane successfully delivers the emotions of the exploited minority, warning you of the dangerous road you’re headed down.
rubrandonmMay 27, 2018
In Unsane, Sawyer fights off real and imagined unwanted advances of David, while dealing with a broken mental health facility. Sawyer's admittance becomes more long-term as her reality seems to bend around her. Thanks to both David, Violet,In Unsane, Sawyer fights off real and imagined unwanted advances of David, while dealing with a broken mental health facility. Sawyer's admittance becomes more long-term as her reality seems to bend around her. Thanks to both David, Violet, and other staff and patients, her sanity becomes more unclear. We see respites from this in her interactions with Nate and her mom, Angela. Despite the seeming finality near the end of the film, the actual ending is much more ambiguous. Expand
The4thBillboardMar 24, 2018
Pretty good movie overall. First half was nothing special but it got better as it went along.
BertronomousMar 23, 2018
Very interesting film. Was caught on the premise when seeing the trailer but unsure as to what the outcome would be for the showing. As it turns out, it was a very good film. Perpetually gives a sense of unease. Highly recommend
benskylerhillApr 9, 2018
I was very pleasantly surprised by Unsane. No spoilers here, but it's not quite what you would expect from the trailer. The film is meant to revolve around the question of "Is she insane or isn't she?" The answer to that question was revealedI was very pleasantly surprised by Unsane. No spoilers here, but it's not quite what you would expect from the trailer. The film is meant to revolve around the question of "Is she insane or isn't she?" The answer to that question was revealed sooner than I would have liked, but but that did not stop the tension by any stretch of the imagination.

This is a movie that is not afraid to stoke the fires of discomfort in an audience. The protagonist, Sawyer Valentini, is placed in a situation that every normal person dreads the thought of: being involuntarily committed to a mental hospital when she is convinced that she is fine. It's horrifying, and naturally she tries to do everything she can to get out, and some of the things she does are morally questionable, to say the least. It gets to the point where you aren't quite sure if the main character is actually a villain in her own way as well. It's full of thought-provoking moral themes that cause you to question if anyone in the film is really a "good guy." The plot is entirely unpredictable and has an ending that causes you to go back and rethink everything that had happened up to that point. It makes for uncomfortable yet completely engaging viewing. The cinematography is some of the most unique camera work I have ever seen. Unsane was shot entirely on the iPhone 7 Plus and that results in an aspect ratio that causes the screen to look more like a box as opposed to traditional widescreen cinema. This box-like view matches perfectly with the theme of mental and physical confinement in the film and this, combined with the iPhone's camera quality makes it feel more authentic, like the audience is really there with Sawyer through her ordeal.

Claire Foy and Joshua Leonard do a fantastic job playing the two troubled leads, and the supporting cast is all authentic as well. They all work wonderfully together to drag viewers with them into the dark, uncomfortable setting that they play out.

Unsane does have its flaws: the wonderful actors were not blessed with an equally adept script and though the story does have its share of twists and turns, the second act does drag on for quite some time and the final act seems to end too abruptly. But it's an unexpectedly successful psychological thriller that never gives in to an audience's assumptions.

Story: 7.5
Acting: 9
Script: 5
Visuals/Sound: 9
Entertainment Value: 7.5

MY RATING: 7.6/10
Compi24Mar 24, 2018
iPhone aesthetics and docu-drama feel aside, it's the central story and characters within Steven Soderbergh's "Unsane" that makes it as engrossing and as fascinating as it is. Sure, the aesthetics help add an air of authenticity to the filmiPhone aesthetics and docu-drama feel aside, it's the central story and characters within Steven Soderbergh's "Unsane" that makes it as engrossing and as fascinating as it is. Sure, the aesthetics help add an air of authenticity to the film as our protagonist makes her way down the proverbial rabbit hole and into the dark annals of modern psychiatric healthcare. But the story at hand here does so much. From creating such a terrifyingly aseptic, yet amoral world, to bridging the gap between the drama, thriller, and horror film genres, there's a lot to commend on the narrative front. Major props also go to cast members Claire Foy, Joshua Leonard, and Jay Pharoah for facilitating such an unsettling project to fruition. Expand
GinaKMar 28, 2018
I was totally surprised at how great this film was even though I consider myself a Soderbergh fan and have enjoyed many of his films. You could feel your paranoia rise as the film went on and as you gradually learned the details of the realI was totally surprised at how great this film was even though I consider myself a Soderbergh fan and have enjoyed many of his films. You could feel your paranoia rise as the film went on and as you gradually learned the details of the real situation. This kind of film is much scarier than a “traditional” horror film. Claire Foy was wonderful – actually the whole cast was great and completely believable. My paranoia lasted for at least 15 minutes after the film was over. Expand
AriaSalessiApr 13, 2018
Unsane is a great example of a psychological thriller that comes to my mind. From beginning to end, the movie is interesting, and at times leaves the viewer dumbfounded which is the intention of a psychological thriller.
justwibiSep 27, 2018
i love every single shot. like B movie bust still great. absurd and haunting.
ahmedaiman9999Jun 7, 2018
Honestly, I wanted to watch this movie just because it's shot on an iPhone. I have watched only one Soderbergh movie, and it was Logan Lucky which I didn't love as much as critics did. And while the iPhone camera somehow helped to create aHonestly, I wanted to watch this movie just because it's shot on an iPhone. I have watched only one Soderbergh movie, and it was Logan Lucky which I didn't love as much as critics did. And while the iPhone camera somehow helped to create a unique atmosphere that's somewhat creepy, it's Claire Foy's extraordinary performance that elevated this low-budget film, and made it a very effective horror film. Claire Foy gave the best performance I've seen this year so far.

Maybe Claire's captivating performance is the most powerful part of the movie, but there are also many other things besides her performance and the unique atmosphere the iPhone camera created. The characters are well-written and have a lot of depth. There are some sub-plots that really helped to develop the main plot and also flesh out the characters. We have some twists and turns that had been used to expand the story and make it more sophisticated. As we progress we can feel the tension increases not just because the developments of the plot, but also thanks to Soderbergh suspenseful directing.

The issue I've with Unsane, which is really a big one, that it tries to make us suspect Sawyer Valentini, and have a doubt if she was really insane or not, while I didn't feel that. I won't lie that I doubted for a couple times that may be she is insane, but that's just because the movie keep pushing me to think about this. The thing that is really strange is that Sawyer got a lot of things that really could have made me believe she is insane; she had a tragic background, a moody persona, and many other things that really could and should have worked as intended. But what I felt is nothing but sympathy for her which really worked to make me worried about her throughout the entire film, and this also worked in terms of the horror aspect. The way the movie concluded the story is so rushed, therefore, it wasn't satisfying at all. Also, there was a sup-plot that is related to a specific character that had been harmed badly because of this rushed ending, and this character was really so important and developed the story so much. There are also some things that hadn't been explained, and I think they were just put to manipulate the viewers and make them think they were really mean anything.

Overall, I really really loved Unsane and I was hooked throughout its 98 minutes. I don't think this iPhone technique will be revolutionary or something, but it definitely paid off.

(7/10)
GravityanomalySep 14, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow, minus the stalker, I had the same experience as a 15 year old girl. The 24 hour lock up, then the week, but for me it turned into a month. I was in for 8 months. Spent my sweet 16th bday in a facility like that. The scary part is, this insurance thing happens way too often. I had a panic attack after watching this almost 30 years after I got locked up in a psychiatric ward for 8 months. This movie hit home. I was a kid, I got committed for a 24 hour evaluation, which I did need. 24 hr turned into 1week, turned into 1 month, turned into 8 months. I was cured just 1 week after my father canceled the health insurance. I was sane, surrounded by some sane people, some not. The drug time, the pills distributed to the patients to make zombies of them, yeah it really happens. The part in the movie that really hit home was the insurance keeping sane people in the institution. My father canceled the insurance and all of a sudden I was healed. I thought I was ok with what had happened to me when I was younger, but this movie brought back too many specific memories for me. Minus the whole stalker thing, being trapped in a facility like that happens way too often to normal sane people and needs to be regulated. Those papers in the beginning of the move, that is real. Just sign this.... It happened just that way for me. Great movie, fiction, but hit home a bit too much for me, by the way, my name is Allisyn. Expand
panslabyrinthJun 9, 2018
Unsane is an interesting concept overshadowed by some stylish gimmick that will consequently give audiences the right to nitpick everything else in the film. In doing so, the film does, to a certain extent fall apart. However, Unsane is not aUnsane is an interesting concept overshadowed by some stylish gimmick that will consequently give audiences the right to nitpick everything else in the film. In doing so, the film does, to a certain extent fall apart. However, Unsane is not a complete waste of your time, as Clair Foy rivets from beginning to end. Expand
JakobkrossJun 29, 2018
Unsane is living proof that you can film an entire movie on an iphone and still make a slick and interesting movie as long as you have a talented crew. The music is bad and the plot gets really stupid and contrived but the acting and uniqueUnsane is living proof that you can film an entire movie on an iphone and still make a slick and interesting movie as long as you have a talented crew. The music is bad and the plot gets really stupid and contrived but the acting and unique presentation keep it engaging. See it Expand
Hugi09Aug 4, 2019
Un film réalisé avec l’iphone 7: BRAVO!!! Le film est flippant comme jamais ! Ils ont fait un assez bon travail dans l’ensemble ! ;)
ahmedaiman1999Feb 7, 2019

And while the iPhone camera somehow helped to create a

(7/10)