• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 24, 2013
Season #: 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
7.1

1. Sep 4, 2019
    The writing has gotten really lazy. Some events and characters barely make any sense. I never liked Agents of Shield writing checks that they can't cash. Don't do things that you know you don't have the budget for. Enough with the world ending events, get back to some spying. Shield is a spy agency, it's not the Avengers. Even though I enjoy the cast and will likely finish watchingThe writing has gotten really lazy. Some events and characters barely make any sense. I never liked Agents of Shield writing checks that they can't cash. Don't do things that you know you don't have the budget for. Enough with the world ending events, get back to some spying. Shield is a spy agency, it's not the Avengers. Even though I enjoy the cast and will likely finish watching the series, it has been a frustrating watch. My favorite seasons so far has been the second half of season 1 and season 4. This is the worst season yet. Even fan favorite characters are losing interest for me, because of the weak writing. Coulson has become like a horror villain, he keeps coming back from the dead. The showrunners are more interested in continuing to work with friends, than honoring the integrity of the story. There's no sense of a well thought out structure or direction. Stuff just happens. Expand
  2. May 30, 2019
    I've thoroughly enjoyed the first five seasons of the show, even through the groanworthy copy/paste jobs of The Matrix and Alien. Three episodes into season 6 and so far I'm just not feeling the magic anymore. Season after season the writers keep leaning on "Mirror, Mirror" style plotlines where one of the team shows up as an evil version. We've now had Evil Daisy, Evil Fitz, Evil May, andI've thoroughly enjoyed the first five seasons of the show, even through the groanworthy copy/paste jobs of The Matrix and Alien. Three episodes into season 6 and so far I'm just not feeling the magic anymore. Season after season the writers keep leaning on "Mirror, Mirror" style plotlines where one of the team shows up as an evil version. We've now had Evil Daisy, Evil Fitz, Evil May, and now Evil Phil. It's like they have no other creative ideas.

Additionally, because the showrunners didn't know they were being picked up for season 6 until late, this is the first season where it's no longer directly tied to the proper MCU timeline. The final two episodes of Season 5 were directly driven by the events of Infinity War (Talbot being told of Thanos as his driving motivator to keep getting more Gravitonium; TV footage of New York following the Black Order's attack). Season 6 is off doing its own thing when it's supposed to take place after the Snappening and it feel like it has lost its way.

Season 5's season finale probably should have been the series finale as well.
  3. Sep 24, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS
    I still like the show, but Marvel's Agents of SHIELD is not what it used to be. It's bad enough that the whole show now seems to be about pandering to the fans by providing jazzy visuals and emotional or action "moments", but it gets worse. The writers are now so lazy that when they want a humorous situation, they get it by making the main characters act like morons. And when they want a dramatic situation, they get it the same way. Every episode this season (6) I see things they do that would make Maxwell Smart's CONTROL look competent. Rookie mistakes, stupid mistakes, procedural mistakes, just there to make the plot work. Some shows do this occasionally, but in this season, it's every damn episode.
    Oh, and the fistfights. There has to be at least one fistfight every episode. Doesn't matter whether it makes sense or not; it just has to be there. Got the drop on someone with your gun? No problem. Say "This just got personal", put away the gun, and have a fistfight. Have superpowers that could overcome your opponent in seconds? No problem. Use the powers once, to knock them over, then go into a fistfight. Have your opponents at your mercy (in a cell or whatever)? No problem. Open the cell, have a fistfight anyway. Sigh.
    A lot of things happen that make no sense, and there are a lot of "TV Coincidences" just to make things convenient. The show's most intriguing character, May, has become a caricature who is not only as indestructible as John Rambo, but strikes exaggerated martial arts poses at the beginning and end of every unnecessary fistfight. It makes one wince in embarrassment.
    The action events and visuals of the season finale were so ridiculous that I was literally laughing out loud. An Indiana Jones temple again? Super-powerful other-dimensional demons who dress in tattered robes like they're in a 70's horror flick? The revelation that Izel has been hiding a bulky, bejewelled full high priestess outfit (sans bullet holes, no less) under her jumpsuit all of this time? Impossible to take seriously.
    The plot arc didn't even make sense. If all Izel was doing was looking for the monoliths, why was she destroying planet after planet for 100 years? A bit of time in a library would have been more productive. Wookiees on Endor.
    Oh, and you just knew that Coulson was only "Marvel dead" again, and would be back by the end of the season, right? Everybody did.

There are no critic reviews yet.