8.2

Watch Now

1. May 13, 2015
    I love the show, I must admit I started watching for Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu but was then introduced to a lot of talented actors. Eagerly awaiting the announcement of season 2.
  2. Apr 22, 2015
    Definitely worth adding to your TV viewing and at the same quality level as The Tick (Live action) and Greg the Bunny. Let's hope it "Lives Long and Prospers". Or was that some other show?
  3. Apr 27, 2015
    At first I didn't bother watching this show because some how I've been oblivious to Yahoo Screen for all intents and purposes half a decade. So firstly, I am greatly enjoying this little corner of the Internet. But on to the show; I greatly enjoyed the refreshing spin this series gives to the genre. The combination of constant mortal peril facing the crew combined with a unique quirkyAt first I didn't bother watching this show because some how I've been oblivious to Yahoo Screen for all intents and purposes half a decade. So firstly, I am greatly enjoying this little corner of the Internet. But on to the show; I greatly enjoyed the refreshing spin this series gives to the genre. The combination of constant mortal peril facing the crew combined with a unique quirky humor that quickly grows on you. There were several occasions where the idiocratic nature of the cast painted such dire situations it leads even the most rationally minded individuals questioning what doom could await these brave fools throughout their journeys. With several dark natured themes continually evolving throughout the show it leads you to question if perhaps this show could take a very dark turn. It's hard to tell if the crew will be capable of escaping with their arms and legs intact, let alone their lives! I truly did enjoy this series and hope to see an announcement of a confirmed second season. I highly recommend watching this show! Expand
  4. Apr 28, 2015
    Hal Spacejock meets Galaxy Quest meets Spaceballs! May this comedic sci-fi live long and prosper.
    This show reminds me a little of the comedy antics of threes company, only in space. And if you are a spacejock fan then you will definitlely get it.
  5. May 23, 2015
    Very good show. The characters are enjoyable and Milana steals the show. She is hilarious. I hope they do more seasons. They got pretty inventive with the relationship between the guy and the computer gal. Great Fun. Everyone should do themselves a favor and watch.
  6. May 27, 2015
    Awesome show. I don't watch sitcoms. I like movies. One and done. However, I saw this advertised on yahoo one day and it stars Lilly from the AT&T commercials. Got a big crush on her so I watched the first episode, and the next and next and ended up watch all 8 episodes. Fun show. It's witty, lighthearted, and easy to watch. Hope they have a second season!
  7. Apr 17, 2015
    I had discussed the idea of "The IT crowd on a space ship" with a friend yesterday, when I stumbled over a user's review of this show right here on metacritic, where it was described it as "The Office in Space". Gave it a shot on Yahoo Screens and I was completely sold about 2 minutes into the second episode. Each episode's plot is well thought out, the humor is spot on, the cast worksI had discussed the idea of "The IT crowd on a space ship" with a friend yesterday, when I stumbled over a user's review of this show right here on metacritic, where it was described it as "The Office in Space". Gave it a shot on Yahoo Screens and I was completely sold about 2 minutes into the second episode. Each episode's plot is well thought out, the humor is spot on, the cast works well together, the characters have their unique quirks and grow on you really fast. I'm sold.

Yahoo has produced an instant classic here, and I hope it will continue to run for many seasons.
  8. Apr 16, 2015
    I really enjoyed this show. It doesn't have the highest production value but it makes up for that in "The Office" type of witty comedy. This is a fresh and fun look at an old space comedy genre, and I think its came at the right time. I like the energy and fun cast. I also enjoyed the lost-in-space premise and how nothing is as it seems. I have not been a fan of Yahoo Originals in theI really enjoyed this show. It doesn't have the highest production value but it makes up for that in "The Office" type of witty comedy. This is a fresh and fun look at an old space comedy genre, and I think its came at the right time. I like the energy and fun cast. I also enjoyed the lost-in-space premise and how nothing is as it seems. I have not been a fan of Yahoo Originals in the past... and I am still not really, but I hope that Netflix makes a bid for this one. It has potential and I would hate to see what happens if its not leveraged (RIP Firefly). Expand
  9. Apr 18, 2015
    Far more clever than much current TV. Deserves its niche in niche-filled media universe. It is NOT comforting to think the writers envision an uber-PC system that monitors all actions and blurts out bully alerts, or maybe it is. These things can go from fiction to fact real fast ya' know. Note to Yahoo Screen: What is it with the volume inmodulation on your ads?! You're going to blowFar more clever than much current TV. Deserves its niche in niche-filled media universe. It is NOT comforting to think the writers envision an uber-PC system that monitors all actions and blurts out bully alerts, or maybe it is. These things can go from fiction to fact real fast ya' know. Note to Yahoo Screen: What is it with the volume inmodulation on your ads?! You're going to blow someone's eardrums you code monkey hacks! Expand
  10. Apr 17, 2015
    I'm a huge Red Dwarf fan, so when I ran across this I was excited, whereas it's not as witty as Red Dwarf, this series has it's own charm, and is fun to watch. I will continue watching it as long as yahoo continues to air it
  11. Apr 15, 2015
    This show is well worth the wait. There is an energy with this young cast that I don't believe could have been replicated with veteran performers. They were all great! So far any negative reviews are from people who don't get the premise (that includes you N.Y. Times). Eagerly awaiting season 2.
  12. Apr 23, 2015
    It is always nice to stumble across an unexpected treat, especially when it comes to a television (or, more appropriately, internet) series. That is what happened today when I heard that Other Space had launched on Yahoo (it is a Yahoo series). Truth be told, I only heard about the show because Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu of Mystery Science Theater fame are two of the cast members,It is always nice to stumble across an unexpected treat, especially when it comes to a television (or, more appropriately, internet) series. That is what happened today when I heard that Other Space had launched on Yahoo (it is a Yahoo series). Truth be told, I only heard about the show because Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu of Mystery Science Theater fame are two of the cast members, something that was trumpeted by one of the MST3K groups on Facebook. That alone was enough to get me to watch. But now that I have watched five of the first eight episodes, I have to say that I am enjoying the show just because it is really good and really funny.

The show is a lot like Star Trek: Voyager: the plot revolves around a ship crewed by misfits that get sucked into another universe and have to fend for themselves. The captain, Stewart Lipinski (played by Karan Soni), resembles TV's trendy, Indian call center tech nerd right out of Big Bang Theory, or some other nerd-based show. Truth be told, I found this character to be the weakest because he is such a wimpy anti-captain in many ways, but having said that Soni does manage to bring some subtlety to the character, something that helps him blossom into a tragic underdog you can't but help to cheer on in later episodes. His nemesis is his Second Officer... who also happens to be his sister Karen (played by Bess Rous); she resents the easy success her brother has enjoyed while she was forced to slave away with no recognition in his shadow. I think her character is the most interesting to follow because she starts out as a cold witch, but the viewer gets to see the ice slowly thaw as she begins to warm up to the other outcasts (with the realization that she, too, is an outcast despite her superiority complex). The there is the passive aggressive ditz Tina (Milana Vayntrub), who was chosen as navigator only because Capt. Stew has a crush on her. Third Officer is Michael (Eugene Cordero), the Meg Griffin of the crew, a well-meaning schlub who is so bland and forgettable that people talk behind his back...right in front of him (LOL! That was one of my favorite moments in the series ). Then there is the quirky Spock-like Kent (wonderfully played with a lot of charm by Neil Casey), a vat-made human desperately trying to fit in with the other regular humans. Natasha (Conor Leslie) is the ships AI personality, much like the holo doc on Voyager, but with more curves and a personality that swings from the impish to the innocent girl-next-store. Lastly, he have the great Joel Hodgeson as Zalian, a legend of the space program who is now a burnt-out hippie serving as an engineer (basically reprising his role from MST3K), along with his robot pal ART, played by Trace Beaulieu (yes, basically reprising his role as Crow T. Robot).

While I mentioned this show most resembles Voyager, I think what it really resembles is Children's Hospital, a late night, 15 minute per episode cult web/tv comedy series (and another Abominable Pictures production). Much like Children's Hospital, what sells Other Space is not the setting as much as the aforementioned fantastic cast that really play off each other with a lot of humor and affection. While I initially watched the show for the sci-fi, it was the characters that pulled me back more and more. That is no easy feat when it comes to me, especially in a contemporary comedy (I find most characters in TV comedies to be annoying and snide).

Story-wise, it is too early to say much. Again, the basic storyline will be familiar to Voyager fans, but how this version is going to develop remains to be seen. Early on, the crew encounters a shadowy alien menace, but who or what this menace is, and what it has planned for the crew, is still unknown to me. Not really a surprise, though, as the show has spent the first five episodes smartly developing the characters and their interpersonal relationships before getting too deep in the space opera weeds. I can wait, especially seeing how this crew can deliver a lot of belly-laughs just taking shots at each other.

Episode-wise, the first episode is the weakest, partly due to the need of setting up the story and characters, but also because I felt it played it a bit too close to The Office and Big Bang Theory. But once the formalities are out of the way, later episodes pick up and start doing their own thing. I found Episode 5 to be the best so far seeing how it involved a mutiny led by a sentient coffee maker.

Anyway, just wanted to give a heads up. I think Yahoo has a winner with this one. If you are a fan of MST3K or Voyager, or even cult sci-fi comedies like Dark Star, Galaxy Quest, or even Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, you owe it to yourself to watch this one.
  13. Apr 29, 2015
    very good show, the crew kind of grows to you after watching a few episodes, like doctors in the doctor who. I am hoping very much that we would see season 2 and more!
  14. Jun 18, 2015
    Really pleasantly surprised with this series - very clever writing and a fantastic cast bring the sci-fi spoof to life, riffing of long established and familiar themes and mixing in some incisive commentary on today's politically correct culture. The result is both refreshing and entertaining.

Hope season 2 gets approved because this show has something special.
  15. Jul 13, 2017
    Very funny sci-fi comedy. Would be the best if Rick and Morty wasn't around. It would be a real shame if this show doesn't find a new home for a second season.
  16. Jan 16, 2016
    It is cray cray funny. There should be more like a season two or something please. More funny. The one guy Kent is really funny because he is different and that's bad for him.
  17. Jun 24, 2015
    First seasons aren't supposed to be this good.

Without a doubt one of the strongest premier seasons of any show I've ever seen. If there's a season 2, I expect greatness.
  18. Jul 27, 2015
    This show makes me really happy. Excellent mix of quirkiness and humor, and Milana is always amazing! Tina's broadcast video is the best! I will be outraged if I don't get a season 2!
  19. Jan 8, 2016
    Captain Stewart Lipinski fills a role similar to that of Michael Scott in the office in this one of a kind comedy, though he definitely has a one of a kind qwerkiness. Along with him is a great cast that really seemed to mesh well as the season went on. More importantly, a definite MST3k vibe was part of this show due to the genius of casting Joel Hodgson as the spaceship engineer, andCaptain Stewart Lipinski fills a role similar to that of Michael Scott in the office in this one of a kind comedy, though he definitely has a one of a kind qwerkiness. Along with him is a great cast that really seemed to mesh well as the season went on. More importantly, a definite MST3k vibe was part of this show due to the genius of casting Joel Hodgson as the spaceship engineer, and bringing in Trace Beaulieu to voice Art, his sarcastic robotic sidekick. I haven't been hooked on a good sci-fi for a while, and definitely not one that made me laugh so much.

The only downside to this comedy is that it was obvious that it didn't have enough funding. With better funding, this show could make the jump from cult comedy status and turn some heads. I'm also disappointed ed that Yahoo did so little to publicise Other Space. Had I not stumbled upon this accidentally, I would have never known anything about it. I'm hoping that season two gets picked up by a major player in the online streaming world, or better yet, the sci-fi channel (they could use a fun comedy).

Generally favorable reviews - based on 6 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Apr 21, 2015
    The humor in Other Space is largely of the absurd, what-would-happen-if-we-put-idiots-in-a-serious-space-setting variety. Sometimes the jokes hit, other times it feels like the kind of space opera I filmed with friends while in high school in the late 1980s.
  2. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    Apr 15, 2015
    Other Space may not be TV’s, or streaming’s, next great comedy. But it’s a welcome and unexpected treat.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Apr 14, 2015
    Delightful new science-fiction comedy.... Like candy, it is sweet, and sometimes sticky or nutty or surprising.