8.3

1. Sep 29, 2019
    (Mauro Lanari)
    (Mauro Lanari)
    Virginia Woolf's stream of consciousness and Molly Bloom's soliloquy in the last chapter of Joyce's "Ulysses" plus the feminine torments of "Desperate Housewives" and the matriarchy vaticinated by the "next age": in "Undone" there is nothing else, and woe to those who confuse it with the version, updated to contemporary physics, of "Altered States" (1980) and of the experiments of the time on the effects of the Mexican hallucinogens amplified in the sensory deprivation tanks. Only the Brian Greene of "The Last Mimzy" (2007) had ventured to hypothesize similar abstruseness.
  2. Sep 17, 2019
    The most captivating show I have watched in a long time. Absolutely a must watch.
  3. Sep 13, 2019
    This show made me cry and stare in disbelief. It spoke to me in ways no other show has done. I'm stunned by the amount of effort Amazon has been putting into their recent shows. I highly recommend.
  4. Sep 13, 2019
    Amazing, original non-linear storytelling. The animated live action is integral to the story and looks terrific. The best new show of the year.
  5. Sep 14, 2019
    Amazon's latest original title ''Undone'' manages, and magnificently so , to intricately integrate flabbergasting ''Rotoscope'' animation with surreal, thought-provoking storytelling.

Quality animation isn't just meant to beautify the content , but rather to elevate it and maximize its potential , which is precisely the matter in ''Undone''. Rotoscoping in this particular case shone a bright light on the constantly deteriorating sense of reality around the protagonist ,which is emphasized by the seamlessly bewildering transitions , and the constant shattering of reality manifesting a dreamlike stage of existence reminiscent of the protagonist's state of mind .

But of course , the animation isn't the sole element lifting ''Undone'' , as it was quite beautifully coupled with an engaging story riddled with a multitude of themes; lived through flawed, realistic characters and one that leaves you aching for more .

9/10 Excellent .
  6. Sep 16, 2019
    I give it to the animators for making a beautiful series, but outside the crazy story, the lead was so obnoxious and self-absorbed, I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to be around her. Everyone in the show gets held accountable for their actions except her. Add to it the constant intersectionality lessons and the show is ruined for me.
  7. Sep 17, 2019
    While most of the focus will be on the look of this show, I thought the dialogue was the most memorable thing about it. The dialogue is intelligent, funny and gives you great insights into all the characters. They all felt multi-dimensional and real. But I'm not confusing the dialogue with the overall writing of the show. There are some elements of the story that are not as sharplyWhile most of the focus will be on the look of this show, I thought the dialogue was the most memorable thing about it. The dialogue is intelligent, funny and gives you great insights into all the characters. They all felt multi-dimensional and real. But I'm not confusing the dialogue with the overall writing of the show. There are some elements of the story that are not as sharply written, but overall it's a unique and welcome experience and sets itself up for a season 2. Expand
  8. Sep 27, 2019
    Watched three episodes, and I don’t care or not if I go back. Very bland, Bob O is bland, how does that happen? Really can’t figure out all the fuss, except the way it’s filmed, which is nice I guess. Would rather have a killer story.
    Didn’t Linklater do this in early 2001 with WAKING LIFE?
  9. Sep 20, 2019
    Undone is beautiful, creative and thoughtful. Jumping into the world feels disorienting, and unlike many shows that "you have to watch most of the season before it gets good" this builds every episode, allowing many of the mysteries to be solved while delving into new ones. The rotoscope animation is fantastic and really sets the tone of the story and content.
  10. Sep 14, 2019
    Incredibly overrated. Fooled by critics once again. A totally banal American story of a young adult, where narcissism and egotism are mistaken for introspection in this day and age of "social media". Our main female protagonist suffers an American mid-life existential crisis and thinks that makes it interesting. Sigh...And she blabs, blabs, blabs about how her life is boring, repetitive,Incredibly overrated. Fooled by critics once again. A totally banal American story of a young adult, where narcissism and egotism are mistaken for introspection in this day and age of "social media". Our main female protagonist suffers an American mid-life existential crisis and thinks that makes it interesting. Sigh...And she blabs, blabs, blabs about how her life is boring, repetitive, while deluding herself that she is better than that.
    A little example of the inanity and triviality of these thoughts:
    Quote in ep 1: "have you ever felt that your life is like a play? except that you are the only one who knows it's a play...and the others are just playing and they don't know"
    This summarises the level of nihilistic arrogance of a generation and a culture that hasn't read enough books and watched too many super-hero movies.

Dear American critics (except Slant magazine), please do read some books (classics) before writing anything on television.

PS: The gimmick of the cartoon-like images is supposed to make us feel...nauseated?
  11. Sep 19, 2019
    I watched "Undone" because Bob Odenkirk (Breaking Bad lawyer) had a major role in the series and I really like his acting. But, almost all of the acting was very good - and Odenkirk was just one good actor among many in the series. In fact, Rosa Salazar who starred in this series makes this something I would recommend everyone should consider watching.

I think people will enjoy this

I think people will enjoy this series more if their expectations are framed by knowing in advance that the overall plot of the series is not the real driver for why this is such a good series.

So, for example, when the main character Alma goes into a rant about the Alamo - it's better to understand that it is not something that is somehow a driver of an overall plot. It's just a development of better understanding of a character in a very enjoyable and introspective way.

So I know most people get upset if a story does not have a strong plot driven element. Just note that there are a lot of people who enjoyed this series. So, my recommendation is try to appreciate the character development and acting in this series because it is really quite good.

In regard to the characters themselves, there obviously are no heroic figures in this series. There are very flawed individuals with some very negative elements. One can find the study of human frailty to be fascinating and in my opinion this series is a very interesting study of some very common problems exhibited by a lot of individuals in today's societies.
  12. Sep 20, 2019
    Undone provides a familiar coming of age narrative about a young individual undergoing an existential crisis and revaluating their values and impact on others throughout their journey full of magical realism. It's a decent piece of entertainment, with an uneven and predictable plotline, but solid character exploration, great performances and rotoscope animation that occasionally enthrals.
  13. Sep 28, 2019
    Its so good - the pacing is pitch perfect, the story is beautifully written and the acting is stellar. Came as a complete surprise to me and I am losing so much time binge watching it this weekend ;)

1. Reviewed by: Melanie McFarland
    Sep 16, 2019
    Masterful employment of rotoscoping. ... “Undone” is a fantastic, humorous tragedy that refuses to unstick itself from our attention very easily. ... Turn it on and let yourself go.
  2. TV Guide Magazine
    Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Sep 16, 2019
    A fascinating adult animated fantasy that's anything but a cartoon. [16-29 Sep 2019, p.25]
  3. Reviewed by: Steven Scaife
    Sep 16, 2019
    Undone can be beautiful and inventive, but rather than directly confront such concerns, it mostly just kicks each can of worms a little further down the road, to perhaps be addressed in a future season while it continues to use the question of Alma’s sanity as a story hook.