• Network: Hulu
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 4, 2019
6.3

1. Sep 7, 2019
    Though only 3 episodes I was hooked from the start as bias as this may seem being that I grew up on the music and heard all the stories, attended concerts and actually meet Raekwon, Ghostface Killa and Sons of Man in Chicago as a teen. The show is produced and written by RZA and other members of the Wu as executive producers or consultant producers, from the beginning it starts off raw,Though only 3 episodes I was hooked from the start as bias as this may seem being that I grew up on the music and heard all the stories, attended concerts and actually meet Raekwon, Ghostface Killa and Sons of Man in Chicago as a teen. The show is produced and written by RZA and other members of the Wu as executive producers or consultant producers, from the beginning it starts off raw, Staten Island being the stepchild residing in the outskirts of all the other boroughs in NY. These 3 episodes show without spoiling the life of Bobby Diggs his older brother Divine, cousin Ason and hustler/supposed friend (just watch) Dennis Coles, then on the other side you have Rae and Power and after you watch the 1st episode you have to say to your self how the hell did this group become as one. All of the members haven't been shown but in my opinion this show is really coming into its own, mind you I am a diehard fan day one but to see the back story it will blow you away, we also see Cappadonna as well as the GZA in the 1st 3 episodes along with the Shotgun aka Method Man whos played by Dave East, Rae being played by seasoned young actor Shameik Moore who does a pretty good job, the conflict between Park Hill projects and stapleton is evident from the start as Bobby want to create music but has too make sure to stay on point in the family business along with his brother which keeps the mortgage paid and food on the table. Dennis we find taking care of both his paraplegic siblings and alcoholic mother, I dont know if I can curse but **** is real. Ason is live as ODB would be and very charismatic from the start being in his own world not really caring what anyone thinks about him. Bobbie's Mom who is played by the still sexy Erika Alexander is the back backbone of the family but there sister seems to be holding down the household when Moms is at work, make sure that all her brothers are feed. Sha aka Raekwon is a hustler for real and beef with him and Dennis is evident from the beginning,Ill say no more. Shotgun seems to be the only person besides Bob who is serious about hiphop music everyone else is just focused on the next dollar and stacking that CREAM, as we see the lessons of the Gods and Earths come into play as well as Bobs love for Martial Arts flicks as well as other members of the crew. From what I learned after staying up til 2am binge watching those episodes, the show will air a new episode every Wednesday which is weird and troubling but Im telling you once you watch those 1st 3 you will be hooked even if you never heard one song from the Wu Tang Clan the delivery of the story and the actors who play there roles do a fantastic job in my opinion, Dave East is ok as Shotgun maybe alil too smooth because we know Meth to be a avid talker especially in his early days always taking over conversations and talking out of turn. I cant wait too see the other members like Rebel INS, U God and Master Killa for now we have to wait for the next episode. I also wanted to point out that actor Ashton Sanders did his thing, he was someone I was skeptical on because of that terrible film Moonlight that everyone raved over (Moist trash) but he showed a humble and naive side to RZA aka Bobby who just wanted to make music and really wasnt built for the street life in my opinion, but did what was necessary for family. They also go back into the life of Bobby and Divine as children and how they were raised outside of the projects for awhile. the show make you wait for more and the roughness of the NYC streets we have always seen films on brooklyn, harlem and Queens and of course the Bronx now we get a full view of Staten Island and the hardships and struggle as it builds towards triumph,as I said earlier I dont know how they became a crew let along friends based off the 1st 3 episodes but somehow it will all form like Voltron and come together, I for one will be watching every Wednesday going forward, to see the build up to where its going as these young black men embark on a journey to become Legends in Hip Hop industry. I would recommend this to anyone older or young who wanted to see how this legendary group became one 8 MCs plus one (cappadonna) to become the Wu Tang Clan and change the name and environment they survived in during the early 1990s and freebase drug era. Just watch it and thank me later. Peace Expand
  2. Sep 4, 2019
    I don't know whether I like it or not. I'm still deciding honestly, Its a show that feels confused at all times and I can't keep track of what they want to actually do. I love the scenes where 'Bobby' is focusing on his beats and just bringing the Wu-Tang together. Other than that, this show is just okay. I really really want to like this. But I'm just putting pieces together. I don't knowI don't know whether I like it or not. I'm still deciding honestly, Its a show that feels confused at all times and I can't keep track of what they want to actually do. I love the scenes where 'Bobby' is focusing on his beats and just bringing the Wu-Tang together. Other than that, this show is just okay. I really really want to like this. But I'm just putting pieces together. I don't know if the writers know what they're doing even though they have RZA writing it. Do they actually know how to tell the story. I want to like it so bad but I'm just caught up in a loop. Expand
  3. Sep 4, 2019
    Wu-tang Clan ain't nothing messwith!...
    More of this please.
    This is binge watch worthy.
  4. Sep 6, 2019
    Dont come here looking for dudes creating music ..thats super duper minimal here! Instead you have The Wu Tang Wire!
  5. Sep 7, 2019
    I was so hype when first episode come out and that was soo great i some much love this three EP Wu-tang Forever
  6. Sep 9, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don’t really get what other people’s expectations are with this show, or even if they had any but I thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I thought it was well paced considering this is a show about how 9-12 individuals came together to form an internationally recognized entity.

It’s not an instant rags to riches biopic like Bohemian Rhapsody or Straight Outta Compton. It took The Wire some time to flesh out where it wanted to go and I assume it’s going to be the same with this show. Also if you’re watching it for the first time, don’t go into it and compare it to The Wire exactly or sum it up as another “gangsta/hustla/crime drama”. There are some similarities to The Wire (come on, what do you expect? It took place during the height of the crack-cocaine epidemic) but it does its best to be its own thing (adding animation and fantasy montages to break up the monotony).

If you don’t know anything about the Wu-Tang Clan, you’re probably going to be confused about who’s who since some of the actors don’t look exactly like their real life counterparts. However, for those in the know, the writers do their best to sprinkle in references to their real life aliases (Sha is a marvelous chef, Dennis loves Iron Man comics, and Gary finds it fascinating that 0.5 gram of lead can decimate a 160 pound body). Also the show does a great job in setting up Wu-Tang references for the bigger picture (Shaw Brothers dialogue appear during relevantly intense moments, a Five-Percent street preacher appears (the Wu-Tang Clan are Five-Percenters themselves) and having actual music sampled by the Wu play during certain scenes).

Even though the show is mostly about Dennis (Ghostface) and Sha’s (Raekwon) feud and how Bobby (Rza) was the mutual friend, the show does a great job in establishing the other clansmen (minus Masta Killa, and U-God maybe? (who may or may not be Haze) but time will tell) to be something more than just the supporting characters Ren and Yella were in Straight Outta Compton.

Some (or maybe most) Wu-Tang fans maybe disappointed about the show not focusing on the music as much as their street hustling but this is supposed to be an origins story leading up to them becoming Wu-Tang Clan. All of the themes fit together perfectly into the grand scheme of this show being about how they fail when they’re divided but together as a whole they can build an empire. The rap battle at the end of episode 3 gives a great set up for what is to come. Overall I’m excited to see what happens next

Side note: I kind of know what happens with Wu-Tang in real life from articles and interviews so if you really grow tired of the street hustling theme, you won’t like the rest of the show. Just because they sign a record deal doesn’t mean they make enough money to stop. There’s 9 of them and they have families.

1. Reviewed by: Nick Schager
    Sep 4, 2019
    Dramatizing the origin story of the famed Staten Island crew as a pastiche of every gangster and drug-dealing cliché imaginable, Hulu’s eight-part series is both ill-conceived and consistently dull. ... Only alive when its protagonists are crafting beats and verses, it requires twice as long as Showtime’s recent doc Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men to say half as much.
  2. Reviewed by: Tambay Obenson
    Sep 4, 2019
    Hardcore fans will probably argue about whether the series does Wu-Tang justice. Those looking for a rudimentary rundown of the group’s foundation would be better served by watching the excellent “Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men” documentary released earlier this year. The story in “Saga” is more like an account of the truth.
  3. Reviewed by: Dan Fienberg
    Sep 3, 2019
    It captures some of the group's kaleidoscopic perspective and nascent brilliance, but leaves too many of its best ideas half-developed.