9.0

1. Feb 25, 2017
    This game isn't getting enough mainstream press. Really... the controls are the best I've ever felt in a side-scrolling game. The graphics and the music... there really are no words. The story is interesting and philosophical, although it does require you use your imagination. The game is difficult, yet accessible (with modes that make it 'Dark Souls' difficult, if you're enough of aThis game isn't getting enough mainstream press. Really... the controls are the best I've ever felt in a side-scrolling game. The graphics and the music... there really are no words. The story is interesting and philosophical, although it does require you use your imagination. The game is difficult, yet accessible (with modes that make it 'Dark Souls' difficult, if you're enough of a masochist). No qualms and no regrets, except that I wasn't an original Kickstarter backer. If you like video games at all, buy this. 9.8/10. Expand
  2. Mar 23, 2017
    I find it odd - one almost can't throw a stone without hitting a criticism about this game.
    Bad performance, bugs, bad map system and so on.
    Bad performance, bugs, bad map system and so on.

Yet... I feel that is possibly the best Metroidvania I have ever played (and I'm always desperately searching out any that is released because on average, there is only like one good one per year) and thus find that the game deserves much more praise than it gets.

Why?

For one thing, no other Metroidvania has ever made me observe enemy attack patterns and adjust my own THIS much. If you blindly strike at enemies, chances are you won't get very far. Which is in fact also something that people have complained about. Probably because they simply don't realize that with this game, you need to take your time in most battles. And learn to dodge. Which is probably why there is the dash move instead of a double jump (which does exist but you get only very late in the game).

For another, it is gorgeous AND really well-designed. Yes, those two are separate things. By the latter I mean the way things work in the game. It's not just the combat system that has obviously been thought about a lot and that is REALLY unique (the person at Rock Paper Shotgun who wrote that review IMO has no clue what they're talking about). Also the many details and mechanics in the world, such as the many characters one can find and interact with. Also like being e.g. able to achieve piece with a faction in the game which not only affects the bosses but also the surrounding environments. Widespread change in behavior that I don't think I've seen in a Metroidvania before.
    It is also HUGE! I've been playing for over 25 hours now and I'm still on my first playthrough! And it's not just that the world is big but there are over 100 different of those hand-animated enemies. The amount of work gone into that must've been insane! Now... I must admit that probably because of that, the animation quality varies. Some elements were obviously drawn with less frames per second than others and thus stutter a bit. But still... for a game priced this low, it's mind-boggling and I already feel like I've gotten my money's worth and then some.

All of that said, Hollow Knight definitely has the flaws mentioned in the beginning. While I have not encountered bad performance myself (and I'm running this on a 4 year old midrange graphics card), nor any bugs, I doubt that people would make this up. (While it may be up to optimization in this case, I actually feel that it's great if a 2D game has so much going on visually that it requires an at least somewhat beefy graphics card.)

And I do find the map system bad and also don't appreciate the relatively infrequent save points. Once the map is uncovered and you have some abilities unlocked and you can plan a reasonable route, it's not so bad but getting there does feel annoying at times, since one can't just play the game at one's own pace but has to look for the next save point if one wants to take a break. Plus, it always seems like a cheap way of making games seem longer than they are - having you repeat areas leading up to a boss over and over. And the game world is so huge that it wouldn't be needed - so I really don't get why they decided to do this.

In the end, in my opinion the many original aspects of the game make the negative aspects lose almost all importance. Of course I hope that the sequel (there simply has GOT to be a sequel. Or at least a spiritual successor) will not suffer from these issues. But I'm still having one hell of a time with this game.
  3. Nov 22, 2017
    First, the good:
    - fluid, addictive gameplay
    - Tough-but-fair difficulty level that makes it genuinely gratifying to beat a tough boss or Colosseum challenge, without becoming a chore - absolutely STUNNING art and music, possibly the best-looking 2D game I've ever played - Big map with tons of enemy and environment variety, while maintaining signature whimsical-yet-spooky aesthetic
    First, the good:
    - fluid, addictive gameplay
    - Big map with tons of enemy and environment variety, while maintaining signature whimsical-yet-spooky aesthetic throughout
    - Lots of rewards for diligent exploration and effective combat, your character constantly grows stronger and more capable
    - Insanely good value for the money. I bought it on sale for $10, it was easily worth 3x that much

For the sake of thoroughness, a couple cons:
    - People like me who are not hardcore gamers should probably use a guide for the midgame, since it is not always great about nudging you where to go next and there are many, many different paths you can explore. I see many negative reviews are by people who got frustrated with all the dead ends and false starts, and I see their point. Some people like that kind of thing, but others should find a spoiler-free guide that at least points them in the right direction. The game is challenging enough without constantly being lost.
    - Similarly, unless you are thorough about locating stag stations and breakable walls to help you get around, all the traversing and backtracking can eventually become dull. I eventually cheated and looked at a map to find these things and I'm glad I did, the game would've dragged badly without knowing where they are (I also regret not getting the Dream Gate until very late in the game).
    - Although I like lots of individual story elements, I don't really like the overall story itself. Your character is basically a pawn in the conflict between the Pale King and the Radiance, both of whom are vaguely defined, sinister, and unsympathetic. The different endings all just give a sense that your character has been used, not that you did the right thing and saved the day. I get that they're going for a Dark Souls thing that's all about ambiguity and ambiance, but I don't think it really works. Ultimately a story needs a clear conflict with clear motivations or you can't get emotionally invested and there's no catharsis.

Overall though it's a phenomenal game (it still blows me away that the development team is just 3 people) and highly recommended for anyone who enjoys 2D platformers and Metroidvanias.
  4. Mar 27, 2017
    I'm giving this game 10/10, and I'm weighing my choice. This game manages to do a bunch of things absolutely perfectly, here are a few:
    * The physics and mechanics feel great, and have a high skill ceiling
    * the world is beautiful and mesmerizing, whilst being very diverse * Enemies are challenging and plentiful (144 different types) * Spells are found at good times, and make the game
    * The physics and mechanics feel great, and have a high skill ceiling
    * the world is beautiful and mesmerizing, whilst being very diverse
    * Enemies are challenging and plentiful (144 different types)
    * Spells are found at good times, and make the game shift every few hours
    * Some bosses will have you retry a _BUNCH_ of times
  5. Jul 9, 2017
    Easily one of the best metroidvanias to arise from the current genre revival. A captivating and otherworldly environment, challenging combat, rewarding exploration and secrets, fascinating lore, and a gorgeous art style.
  6. Dec 27, 2017
    One of the best games of 2017 and also of my life. It's a very original metrodivania with a beautiful design and animation, charming music and sound effecs, perfect control, lovely story, difficult and challenging. Don't hesitate on playing it. It is a masterpiece that everybody should know.
  7. Aug 26, 2018
    хорошая игра , но на клавиатуре не очень удобно играть
  8. Jan 28, 2019
    Очень атмосферная игра с красивой графикой и отличной боевой системой. Игра в меру сложная, но зато когда закончишь с очередным боссом по настоящему получаешь желаемое наслаждение. Сюжет кстати тоже очень интересный.
  9. Dec 5, 2018
    This is a pure action-platform gaming experience, based on the careful timing and spacing of your jump, attack, dash, and other abilities. The enemy variety and detail blows other metroidvania games out of the water! The bosses are more like something out of Mega Man, which is unusual in a genre of poorly balanced, janky bosses.

It's a beautiful game with a gigantic world. I love the

It's a beautiful game with a gigantic world. I love the sense of exploration when first entering a new area, before I have its map. This is the least linear metroidvania I've played, and that's a good thing. There were so many places I wanted to investigate at once, that I missed things that I could have found hours earlier. Only I didn't really miss out, because I was exploring to my heart's content the entire time, mapping out uncharted territory, killing bosses, and discovering secrets.

The difficulty might be overstated, I guess it depends on your previous gaming experiences. I grew up playing every platformer on the SNES, every Mega Man X game multiple times, SotN and most other metroidvanias. For me this is perfectly balanced gameplay..
  10. Aug 2, 2018
    Hollow Knight
    Cute and Brutal
    Hollow Knight is a metroidvania game where you play as a little adorable I don’t even know what it is. and before yall go clicking away because this is a metroidvania.. I get it.. I don’t like metroidvanias either.. Bit I fell in love with hollow knight.. The first couple hours of this game is brutal.. you hop down the well and its sink or swim… youre
    Hollow Knight
    Cute and Brutal
    Bit I fell in love with hollow knight..
    The first couple hours of this game is brutal..
    you hop down the well and its sink or swim… youre killing these little bug creatures exploring the areas you can with oyur initial abilities.. and the game is just chewing you up and spitting you back out to the last bench you rested on..
    this feels like a 2d dark souls game while youre getting the hand of things, helped by the fact that if you die you drop all of the cash you’ve collected along the way.. to get it back you have to defeat the ghost version of you…
    thankfully though hollow knight does difficulty right,
    This game isn’t unfair, it isn’t annoying.. its challenging in a genuine and addictive way..
    it forces you to learn its rules, learn the patterns of the creatures that surrounds you.. it slowly builds you up.. makes you stronger throughout your journey of uncovering secrets, unlocking new moves and abilities.. slaying bosses.. and exploring this forgotten kingdom.
    Every area here feels so different despite simultaneously feeling connected, they all have their own adorable little enemies that are out to drain your soul, little caterpillar worm creatures for you to save, bosses and secrets to enhance your stats or abilities..
    This is such a special risk and reward game, collecting coins, attacking enemies to gain some soul juice to heal yourself and push forward inching closer to the next checkpoint, or trying to travel to the closest fast travel area to go spend your hard earned money on a new upgrade or map…
    and exploring the world is such a thrull from start to finish… I felt an urge to see it all, despite the game trying its hardest to stop me with its challenging platforming and enemy encounters..
    I couldn’t believe how deeply I fell in love with hollow knight.. pun intended…
    this is by far the best metroidvania game ive ever played.. and every gamer type should give this game a chance at least until its first boss battle.. it was then that I fell in love.. its then when I realized how special of a ride I was about to go on..
    I give Hollow Knight
    an 8.5/10
  11. Nov 21, 2018
    Con solo decir que le he echado mas de 55 horas a este juego creo que está todo dicho, pero no me voy a quedar solo ahí.
    Empezando por el contenido artístico, el juego es una pasada. Todos los niveles son preciosos y siempre te quedas mirando hasta el mas mínimo detalle.
    La jugabilidad es super cómoda (Yo use mando). Nivel de dificultad muy variado, como es un metroidvania tipo dark
    La jugabilidad es super cómoda (Yo use mando).
    Nivel de dificultad muy variado, como es un metroidvania tipo dark souls, te puedes meter en zonas as difíciles ya que no tienes todas las habilidades necesarias.
    El lore es tipo dark souls, si quieres historia buscatela encontrando a los npcs.
    Para mi de los mejores juegos indie por no decir el mejor.
  12. Aug 19, 2018
    I definitely didn't expect this game to be this good
    Outstanding game in its genre (Metroidvania platformer) . From the hauntingly gorgeous artstyle to the rich lore, ost and map design... it is nearly perfect, Many routes and secrets ensure the sense of constant discovery. It's a must buy 9.5/10
  13. Dec 4, 2018
    Enjoyable game. This might be my favorite game despite not being a fan of having a grim tone in the games i play, and a less vibrant art style than i prefer (I prefer the vibrant nature of Ori and the blind forest a bit more).
    The difficulty of the game is on the low side for the majority of the game where it ramps up to a nice level close to the end, i would personally have preferred a more difficult mid-game that'd force you to utilize more of your abilities, though it would be hard to maintain the same openness of the world, so i guess this is the best compromise.
    So why is this a 10/10, because i have seen no other game do so many things so right: the music is amazing with the exception of the combat soundtrack of City of Tears, the art style is awesome, the combat system is minimalistic is a really good way, and the world is massive yet filled to the brim with content. The story is kinda hit or miss, though it is mostly optional.
    i would easily have picked this game up for 30$, so 15$ (10$ if on sale) is a steal, if you do not have this game in your game collection, it is a mistake.
  14. Dec 15, 2018
    Fun game which is somewhat hindered by map navigation issues. It has so-called fast travel but its usability is questionable and map design is pretty confusing. Areas of the same sections all look alike so I have to look at the map every minute or so only to find out that I made a wrong turn. They should've just added a compass or something.
    The gameplay however is almost perfect, or at
    The gameplay however is almost perfect, or at least it reaches that level mid-to-late game when you get all your abilities. The cool thing is that you have only like 3 buttons to press but the amount of vertical and horizontal control you gain from them is astounding
  15. Dec 9, 2018
    Don't listen to the negative reviews the ones that make them are idiots. This game is a masterpiece. 4 free story and qol based dlc's on top of an already great and content heavy story, on top of an amazing price. If you have 15 dollars to spare buy it, you wont be disappointed.
    Music 10/10
    Gameplay 10/10 Map design 10/10 exploration factor 10/10 Story 10/10 Delve deep into the lore
    Music 10/10
    Gameplay 10/10
    Map design 10/10
    exploration factor 10/10
    Story 10/10
    Delve deep into the lore and understand this game will not spoon feed you its story through cut-scenes but rather show you the story subtly through world changes.
    this game is one of the few that over delivers almost to an extreme level.
  16. Jun 20, 2018
    I really think this is one of the best game ever made. It's flawless. The music, the characters, the story and the visual are amazing. A masterpiece with free DLC.
  17. Oct 20, 2018
    If you like 2D Metroidvania style games with old school hardcore elements u should definetely check this one...its amazing u wont regret it
  18. Jan 13, 2019
    Obra maestra y sin duda mi juego favorito en el genero. Me quedaré sin palabras a la hora de describir tan maravilloso videojuego, su historia y ambientación son sobresalientes, sus controles y mecánicas geniales, la música y efectos de sonido son atrapantes y originales, sus dibujos y animaciones hechas a mano hacen la experiencia un orgasmo visual mientras se explora el vasto mundo deObra maestra y sin duda mi juego favorito en el genero. Me quedaré sin palabras a la hora de describir tan maravilloso videojuego, su historia y ambientación son sobresalientes, sus controles y mecánicas geniales, la música y efectos de sonido son atrapantes y originales, sus dibujos y animaciones hechas a mano hacen la experiencia un orgasmo visual mientras se explora el vasto mundo de Hallownest. Definitivamente un videojuego que tienes que jugar si o si en algún punto de tu vida. 10/10 más que merecidos. Expand
  19. Mar 30, 2018
    Un metroidvania muy bueno lo recomendó por poco que te guste este genero es un gran juego.
  20. Dec 16, 2017
    i've had recently the pleasure to be immersed in this great game, and it has been quite a ride. the animations made by hand look quite unique and go with the whole dark and gritty art style that they aiming for. the game's difficulty can be really brutal at times, and its difficulty, boss fights arent put to shame by the likes of dark souls, ninja gaiden etc games. the combat plays likei've had recently the pleasure to be immersed in this great game, and it has been quite a ride. the animations made by hand look quite unique and go with the whole dark and gritty art style that they aiming for. the game's difficulty can be really brutal at times, and its difficulty, boss fights arent put to shame by the likes of dark souls, ninja gaiden etc games. the combat plays like most metroidvenia games, with unlocking further abillities. though, the main character has a lot of upgrades types under its belt, so the game is a little bit more complex then the average metroidvenia game, with health upgrades, souls (mana), weapon upgrades, the charm system (which are these power ups you can wear), notches (determines the number of charms being wear by opening more slots for them), grubs ( which are these warms creatures you get rewarded with items and money, determined by how many you picked), also there's a resource called essense which lets you a couple of unlocks, a couple of different melee attacks besides the different abillities. so yeah while it doesn't have the depth of an average rpg in each of them, its still doesn't pale in comparison by a lot then different games maybe. there are many enemy types and bosses. the game's focus is on the combat by a lot relativly then to its story. the story while having an interesting theme with the hubris of the bugs nation hallownest, it does lack in lore.

so with this many advantages the shortscoming dont detract much of the game, and it still stands on its own very good. so lets get to it. firstly, the order of the many zones areas you're getting in the game are put in a order that gets the player easilly disoriented, and by that confuses the players especially at the start of the game where you've tons of areas to go from the main hub area (the crossroads), and you have not an ounce of an idea where to go because of the bad level design of the hub area. some more metroidvenia locks more early instead of later couldnt have hurt to help in this matter. in addition the art style, i feel like since i've played a game like ori and the blind forest, which the looks of it really appealed to me, i sometimes during the game wondered how this could have looked if it had the same engine as ori, but with still the same dark and gritty art style.

to summerise, this game really's one of the best metroidvenia games i've got to play, and defiently the longest i tried by far. each area i've traveled in the game, i felt very engrossed in its atmosphere (especially greenpath, city of tears). im looking forward to what these new developers of this game got more under their sleeves, as their dedication on this game to great detail is very tengible. a score of 8.6/10 from me.
  21. Jan 12, 2018
    One of the best metroidvanias ever made. Awesome character design, looks beautiful, great controls and overall just very good.
  22. Jan 18, 2018
    You enter Hollow Knight's world long past its prime—a dying kingdom, its society torn to pieces and its heroes already fallen. There's nothing but a desolate and dark landscape on the surface and a winding catacomb filled with the stink of death below. You control an emotionless knight, your purpose not entirely clear at the outset, and delve into that land to ward off the evil within.You enter Hollow Knight's world long past its prime—a dying kingdom, its society torn to pieces and its heroes already fallen. There's nothing but a desolate and dark landscape on the surface and a winding catacomb filled with the stink of death below. You control an emotionless knight, your purpose not entirely clear at the outset, and delve into that land to ward off the evil within.

Except you're really an adorable little bug-man, fighting and befriending other adorable bug-people. While Hollow Knight is set in what is ostensibly a medieval fantasy kingdom, it's got a buggy carapace stretched over everything. The devastation and loss in Hallownest's history is palpable, but the cute art style means the tone never feels overbearing or depressing. The heavy themes have a light-heartedness about them without slipping into parody.

The NPCs I meet are all quirky and cartoonish, but still feel like coherent parts of the world. A few of my favorites include a pudgy shopkeeper who can't stop giggling, a kindly wandering swordsman who has lost his memory, and the tiny but boisterous Zote the Mighty—who, later in the game, will explain to you all of his 57 precepts if you care to listen that long. These characters bring sparks of life to the otherwise dying caves, many of them reappearing at fixed points around the map, and sometimes even during boss fights to provide a few of Hollow Knight’s most thrilling moments.
  23. Feb 21, 2018
    Very well made indie metroidvania. Story is centered on just enough for it to be intriguing while also leaving a lot of it up to interpretation. In addition the combat focus is a great subversion from much of the other games in this genre. Basically have no complaints
  24. Feb 11, 2018
    One reviewer here commented that this game isn't getting enough mainstream press, and I couldn't agree more; this game has exceeded all expectations I had for it. It's astonishing that this game was made by a small team of two to three people. As a Souls fan, this game resonates strongly with me. Every delicate chord that Dark Souls has struck within me was also struck by Hollow Knight,One reviewer here commented that this game isn't getting enough mainstream press, and I couldn't agree more; this game has exceeded all expectations I had for it. It's astonishing that this game was made by a small team of two to three people. As a Souls fan, this game resonates strongly with me. Every delicate chord that Dark Souls has struck within me was also struck by Hollow Knight, and with pinpoint precision. The controls are crisp and tight. Every enemy and every boss fight is memorable. An intriguing story is told through gameplay and NPC interaction, and the inquisitive player is greatly rewarded if he chooses to dive a little deeper and look a little harder. The soundtrack is superb, and it works with the sound design and color palette to bring areas of the game to life. Hollow Knight also does a great job at understanding its medium as a 2-D platformer; the developers know the limitations of the medium and work within its bounds, but also play to the strengths of it and offer challenges that wouldn't work in a 3-D environment. Ultimately, this game has so, so much depth and I enjoyed every second of it. Keep up the good work, Team Cherry! Expand
  25. Oct 25, 2018
    I am personally not a fan of metroidvania because I have a hard time to really get invested in them. Hollow Knight however really sets a tone of wonder and mystery, which makes me wanna find out more about the world. It has some unique mechanics that are not really mind-blowing but they work and feel fresh and organic compared to many other metroidvanias simply trying to copy-paste SuperI am personally not a fan of metroidvania because I have a hard time to really get invested in them. Hollow Knight however really sets a tone of wonder and mystery, which makes me wanna find out more about the world. It has some unique mechanics that are not really mind-blowing but they work and feel fresh and organic compared to many other metroidvanias simply trying to copy-paste Super Metroid. Everything design-wise is nearly perfect. Rarely I play a game that is so extremely well thought out. I've never played a game that I would give a higher score than this one. It's not my favorite game of all time, but that's because it's still less appealing to me than other types of games. It's obviously not perfect, but it's one of the best games I ever played design-wise. Expand
  26. May 21, 2018
    A LOT of content.
    Free DLCs.
    Great art design.
    Great OST.
    Great bosses.
    Good difficulty.
    Great gameplay.

The BEST Metroidvania out there.
  27. Apr 29, 2018
    I fell in love with Hollow Knight and enjoyed it so much that I ended up spending 50 hours on it in under two weeks. If you like metroidvania games then this game is for you! Controller recommended.
  28. Apr 22, 2018
    Very good Metrodavia game, with a high level of difficulty and challenging but rewarding game play. The controls are very good, graphics are also nice,the story is interesting and the price was good for this kind of game. The only shortcoming are the related to the game designs decision of some areas that look rather out of place
  29. May 19, 2018
    10/10 the best metroidvania ever made, long story, perfect controls and the artwork is wonderfull
  30. Jun 17, 2018
    Without question the best Metroidvania ever made. Only challeged by Ori and the Blind Forest.
  31. Jun 26, 2018
    Artılar
    +Fiyatı çok uygun (3)
    +Kontroller çok rahat (0.5)
    +Müzikler efsane (4)
    +Karakter tasarımları muazzam (2)
    +Atmosferi çok iyi (4)
    +Sesler çok başarılı (2)
    Eksiler
    -Buglar (0.5)
    -Bazı karakterlerin sadece görünüşü farklı, saldırıları aynı (3)
    -Birçok şey Dark Souls benzeri (2)
    Puan: 10/10 Tam bir görsel şölen.
    -IloveIndie
  32. Jul 10, 2018
    This game too hardd d
    This game too hardd d
    Okay so the map system very bad. Was even a little harder too deal with than Metroid, and that game is imp posiple, gaemz shuld b a st8 line, much ez er. Combat is hard and borign, u can only do a slash until u beet first boss adn healing should be automaticccc liek in COD XD, andd not starting with good mobility was badd d, remind me of Metroid like why is this gam liek Metroid, it's supposed to be Dark Soulz?!?! Um itz so mucc hardurr than a Souls gaem too, liek I wanted a Soulz not a tryhard gaem XDDDD Refundedddd. The game iz so confusignn like "oh you'll be fine therez 2wo ways to get to every area" liek hello?!?! I need 5ive ughhhh. Y can The story iz so boringgg, leik who is this "False Night"? So gimmiky 2, liek y enemy hav shooty butt I don't, stoopidd. Gaem still gudd tho, cuz Hornet best gurl
  33. Dec 8, 2018
  34. Nov 4, 2018
    If I had to describe this game in three words, these would be: hard, beautiful and addictive. That's what this game is. Magical atmosphere, great graphics and music, interesting story and fun gameplay, but a bit hard for me, but still good. Love this game. Pickens approves!
  35. Dec 4, 2018
    I really like this game! A lot of challenges, secrets (we have internet lmao) and some parkour. The design of the game is awesome! Animations, NPS and a lot of other staff. Soundtracks are really good, always sad as the game's atmosphere. If you like hard and good games this game is for you. The only one thing sad A LOT OF WALKING ON THE LOCATIONS(I know about fast travel, but it is not soI really like this game! A lot of challenges, secrets (we have internet lmao) and some parkour. The design of the game is awesome! Animations, NPS and a lot of other staff. Soundtracks are really good, always sad as the game's atmosphere. If you like hard and good games this game is for you. The only one thing sad A LOT OF WALKING ON THE LOCATIONS(I know about fast travel, but it is not so good as you think). Expand
  36. Dec 5, 2018
    An absolute masterpiece. Hollow Knight binds together a really nicely developed environment with a pretty complex hidden story and an amazing music score. Hollow Knight makes you believe that you are free to go wherever you like from the beginning of the game, while it actually guides you slowly and kindly to the actions you have to make or the places you have to visit. The 2D ambianceAn absolute masterpiece. Hollow Knight binds together a really nicely developed environment with a pretty complex hidden story and an amazing music score. Hollow Knight makes you believe that you are free to go wherever you like from the beginning of the game, while it actually guides you slowly and kindly to the actions you have to make or the places you have to visit. The 2D ambiance that this game adds in your experience is amazing while every single location on the map has a unique theme that changes its backgrounds based on the story or the surrounding locations. The gameplay of Hollow Knight mostly combines fast critical thinking and very good timing actions. Your mistakes will be punished harshly but not always. It needs tons of concentration and good strategy before winning any boss. For me, the ultimate thing about Hollow Knight is how well everything combines together to deliver an extremely fast-paced ( in battles ) game while in a really slow-quiet and moody environment ( sometimes ). From the way, they blend-in the music in the battles to how the player's fillings can be taken into count, is what makes this game an absolute masterpiece and a MUST PLAY. The only game in my life that I would rate 10/10 was Breath of the Wild. But comparing the hours you can spend and the fun you can have in this one, to the industrial gap between Nintendo and Team Cherry delivers a 10/10 for Hollow Knight. Expand
  37. Dec 25, 2018
    I was never a fan of most Metroidvania games. I played a few select titles from the genre and found myself lost and uninterested, but the world and art style of Hollow Knight has sucked me in for hours and hours, and despite a few moments of anger I never really felt the game was unfair. In my opinion the only thing holding the game back is a few weak bosses, but I'd recommend this game toI was never a fan of most Metroidvania games. I played a few select titles from the genre and found myself lost and uninterested, but the world and art style of Hollow Knight has sucked me in for hours and hours, and despite a few moments of anger I never really felt the game was unfair. In my opinion the only thing holding the game back is a few weak bosses, but I'd recommend this game to anyone who seems remotely interested in it for any reason, whether it be the art or the world or the gameplay, it's all solid and engaging. Expand
  38. Dec 29, 2018
    Just pure masterpiece. Graphics are charming, game-play gives a lot of satisfaction. I can't see any downside of this game.
  39. Feb 14, 2019
    just one of the best games! thanks team cherry for the work you have done. I look forward to a decent continuation
  40. Feb 10, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Are all of the people who gave negative's that bad at this game? Yeah, it's hard, but if I, a 12-year-old can do it, *100%, by the way,* then so can you, and while yes, the shade system sucks, and the bosses can be hard as **** *The moth who is a deadly laser* the thrill of doing it by rethinking my style, ie* (should I go spells or attack? Far more health or more range and quicker slashes? Invest notches for a charm which rewards you for not getting hit? High Spell Damage but low range?) and practice can make it feel really rewarding. As for the shade system, well... I can't argue about that but Geo doesn't even matter halfway. As for the positives, music, calm, action! I love it! And the art style, it is amazing. Overall, a good game with IMO, a small problem which won't matter later on. Expand
  41. Feb 20, 2019
    The best Metroidvania i have played, this was the most immersive experience i have had with a game, bosses were great and all but... The story is freaking incredible, the best part of the game in my opinion.
  42. Feb 27, 2019
    This game just goes to show how passion should be the drive of making a game, and not just making a game as it seems by the modern trpile A studios. Everythings is swift and perfectly executed from the in every aspect that you can expect a game to be. Just the perfect game, simple, yet complicated. Fun, yet extremely challenging at times, and it is up to the player himself to decide how toThis game just goes to show how passion should be the drive of making a game, and not just making a game as it seems by the modern trpile A studios. Everythings is swift and perfectly executed from the in every aspect that you can expect a game to be. Just the perfect game, simple, yet complicated. Fun, yet extremely challenging at times, and it is up to the player himself to decide how to approach the game. 10/10 best game ever, sets a really high sealing for Silk Song. Expand
  43. Mar 16, 2019
    Just best game I ever played
    Best visual style
    Best control
    Best soundtrack
    Best story
    I just love this game can't wait to siquel
  44. Mar 20, 2017
    I am truly amazed by Hollow Knight. The game starts off slow; it feels a bit cartoony at first but later into the game you realize that it's a pretty dark game full of rich areas and even richer characters. The game is definitely influenced by Dark Souls, and it fuses that influence in a Metrovania style game beautifully.
  45. Mar 20, 2017
    Where so many metroidvania style games fail, Hollow Knight knocks it out of the park in terms of game play and presentation with some of the best 2D animation I've seen for a game. I won't lie, Hollow Knight is a brutal game and not for a casual play through. The game starts off pretty easy but ramps up exceedingly after roughly the second boss at which point you really need to investWhere so many metroidvania style games fail, Hollow Knight knocks it out of the park in terms of game play and presentation with some of the best 2D animation I've seen for a game. I won't lie, Hollow Knight is a brutal game and not for a casual play through. The game starts off pretty easy but ramps up exceedingly after roughly the second boss at which point you really need to invest yourself into the game and how it's mechanics and upgrades work in order to succeed. Many a time I found my self hitting a wall, getting frustrated and having to take a break, only to come back more composed and crush said wall with such satisfaction that I've only felt from Dark Souls and Blood Born.

When I found my sweet spot I was suddenly blitzing through area after area looking for secrets and treasure being surprised and how many things are hidden. The game is a very decent length but totally doesn't feel it, by the time you're wrapping up all things in order to get the true final boss you can easily clock 30+ hours with very little of it feeling tedious.

My biggest flaws with Hollow Knight are mostly to do with things like "end lag" on abilities and not being able to "jump cancel" others. With such a fluid, tight controlling game it's shame the combat doesn't go that little bit extra but these are very niche personal complaints that many people won't notice.

Over all Hollow Knight represents the highest form of a challenging game play and should be treated as a such with any negatives reviews mentioning difficulty being void.
  46. Sep 1, 2017
    Simply perfect in almost every way.
    The atmosphere, level design, controls, exploration, everything.
    The only game I've ever rated 10/10, and it truly deserves it.
  47. Mar 15, 2018
    This is best MetroidVania style game I played ever.
    Level designed attractive and boss fight is exiting.
    Boss fight might be hard to many player, But this feels challenging!
  48. Mar 19, 2017
    A well executed metroidvania game with a very unique and enticing art style. The gameplay is rock solid with good control mechanics, challenging bosses and competent level design. The game is a labor of love and if you like metroid or castlevania (and if you don't, what is WRONG with you??) you should buy this game with your eyes closed.

Congratulations to Team Cherry for a fantastic

Congratulations to Team Cherry for a fantastic job! You guys rock! Can't wait to play what you make next.

The only reason I'm giving it a 9/10 instead of 10/10 is because the map can be confusing and I found myself getting lost and doing a lot of backtracking. I think I am below average when it comes to memorizing map layouts in general though, so take it with a pinch of salt.
  49. Vok
    Mar 14, 2017
    To say Hollow Knight is a 2D action adventure game is to say that an Aston Martin is a car. Both statements are true but simultaneously grossly inadequate. Hollow Knight is so much more than the sum of its parts and trying to create a concise, yet complete description is difficult at best. It is massive, beautiful and challenging and while it isn’t perfect it’s few flaws are easilyTo say Hollow Knight is a 2D action adventure game is to say that an Aston Martin is a car. Both statements are true but simultaneously grossly inadequate. Hollow Knight is so much more than the sum of its parts and trying to create a concise, yet complete description is difficult at best. It is massive, beautiful and challenging and while it isn’t perfect it’s few flaws are easily forgiven thanks to its sheer brilliance.

From the outset Hollow Knight provides few hints on the direction forward. The game proper begins when you descend to the ruins under the town of Dirtmouth where you face your first decision – left or right.

What begins as a slightly maddening lack of direction soon becomes an exhilarating sense of freedom. While Hollow Knight has its share of rewards in items and the game’s currency, geo, the real reward is just seeing what’s on the other side. After 30 hours Hollow Knight was still able to surprise me in both presentation and diversity of location, characters and enemies. Make no mistake, this beautiful game.

The art direction and animations are stunning, as is the soundtrack, and the NPCs have a surprising amount of character. Exploring this world is a pure joy and a reward unto itself. Even having finished the game I still have an incredible desire to examine every inch, to find every secret and to see every single thing the game has to offer.

It’s a massive world and the map system is unique and worth addressing because it can be challenging. Upon entering a new area you will not have a map until you discover the NPC Conifer. He’ll sell you a map but only the parts of that area you’ve been in will display. It is then updated at check points, assuming you have purchased the quill, as you continue to explore.

It’s an interesting design decision and one that I really came to enjoy as I progressed. I can navigate around most of the zones in Hollow Knight better than the streets in my own suburb, because I actually need to remember the way.

As you traverse the huge game world below Dirtmouth you will encounter a vast array of enemies. Your foes begin with the simplest of attacks, as do you, a simple swing of your nail. While your foes will become more difficult and combat both quick and mobile, the pacing in the early parts of the game is very slow. If you came expecting a Diablo click fest you are going to be sorely disappointed, especially early on.

That being said, do not expect to stroll through Hollow Knight without breaking a sweat. … or possibly a controller or two. The difficulty of the game ramps up significantly and there are some particularly difficult boss encounters, as well as a couple of maddeningly hard platforming sections. Boss encounters are a huge highlight of the game and a great reminder that games are meant to be challenging. If you expect to roll up to an encounter and successfully completely it within one or two attempts this game is probably not for you. It certainly doesn’t have a Dark Souls level of difficulty, but you really do need to learn each encounter – and then execute the combat well – before being able to proceed. The payoff is an incredible relief and satisfaction when overcoming a particularly hard section of the game. It’s been a long time since I’ve experienced such a rush at victory in gaming and it’s a welcome and highly addictive return.

The difficulty of the some sections highlights, painfully, the one major issue I have with Hollow Knight, the checkpoint system. The game auto saves regularly, but you respawn at the last bench you rested on and there are generally only two or three in each area. While I’m sure there is some rhyme or reason behind their placement I couldn’t see it and they are occasionally frustratingly far from difficult encounters. This means spending a couple of minutes making your way back to your most recent defeat, often through a number of enemies, before engaging in an encounter that has already been kicking your ass for far longer than you would care to admit. More often than not you’ll respawn pretty close, but it happens enough to make some deaths far more painful than they should have been.

The other purpose the rest stations serve is to let you change your charms. Charms cater to the RPG element, allowing players the choice of powered up abilities, increased survivability or simple quality of life improvements. There are far more charms than slots available so some thought is required when it comes to charm selection..

Hollow Knight is a triumph of the metroidvania genre. Team Cherry have created an incredible world, filled with variety, charm and wonder. It was a pure joy to explore Hallownest and incredibly satisfying to finish the game. The combat is challenging with a number of particularly memorable boss encounters and the old school difficulty is well balanced and hugely gratifying. Put simply, Hollow Knight is magnificent.
  50. Jul 24, 2017
    A nearly perfect metroidvania type game, if you like those types of games you can stop reading right now. You're going to like this game, probably a lot. If there are any criticism to be made I will say that:

1) The game is a little bit of a slow starter and it wasn't until maybe 3h in that the game really clicked for me. You don't have many abilities in the beginning and at first I didn't realize how big the game was going to be or how advanced the combat and movement would become.
    2) The difficulty is quite high in places and there is no "easy mode". This is by no means a casual game but one which will force you to learn enemy attack patterns, unlock all movement options and get all the upgrades you can find. I think a difficulty selector would have made the game accessible to more people.
    3) I would have welcomed the possibility to equip more "charms", maybe 15 notches or so would have been nice. It would have made my playstyle more flexible so you're not locked into "either a sword or magic or health focus" type build. It would also have gone some ways towards leviating the difficulty concerns for a lot of people.
    4) Late game traversing the game world can be a bit of a chore since fast travel is quite limited. I think they're rolling out some kind of feature to fix that now but when I was playing this wasn't available.

I will also say that a game controller is highly recommended, I used an xbox controller and that worked great. And if you also have a 100hz monitor or more that's even better, this game is quite fast and has tight timings so a slow TV might not be the best option.
  51. Jul 20, 2018
    An absolute gem of a game. Loved every minute of the base game. The fact they have added 3 expansions for free, is so refreshing in this day and age of greedy game publishing companies. I loved the hand drawn art style and so did a lot of others looking at all the fan art hitting the team cherry Twitter thread. The game borrows from some other games (dark souls) but manages to always addAn absolute gem of a game. Loved every minute of the base game. The fact they have added 3 expansions for free, is so refreshing in this day and age of greedy game publishing companies. I loved the hand drawn art style and so did a lot of others looking at all the fan art hitting the team cherry Twitter thread. The game borrows from some other games (dark souls) but manages to always add its own twist. This isn't a small game you're probably going to get 30h plus from the title. So you're going to get a huge bang for your buck. This is probably my favourite metroidvania game of all time. It was also my game of the year (2017) Expand
  52. Apr 8, 2017
    As someone with a tremendous fondness for "metroidvania" style games, Hollow Knight gives me everything I could have ever wanted. Well-crafted level design, INCREDIBLE (truly stunning) world design, a tear-jerking soundtrack, and solid, fun gameplay all combine into a game I couldn't be happier with. The story begins lighthearted and whimsical, as you play as a bug in a bug-eat-bug world,As someone with a tremendous fondness for "metroidvania" style games, Hollow Knight gives me everything I could have ever wanted. Well-crafted level design, INCREDIBLE (truly stunning) world design, a tear-jerking soundtrack, and solid, fun gameplay all combine into a game I couldn't be happier with. The story begins lighthearted and whimsical, as you play as a bug in a bug-eat-bug world, but over the course of the journey you realize the depth and grandeur of what's past and what's at stake, bringing you to one of three conclusions that earn their weight in the story. My eyes welled with tears during the final battle.

If you like 2D sidescrollers, "metroidvanias," and fun, soulful indie games, you'd be foolish to avoid this one for the VERY reasonable price of 15 dollars on Steam. Do yourself a favor and enjoy this one.
  53. Apr 7, 2017
    Honestly one of the best games I have ever played. Make sure you persist through the initial couple of areas as the game gets more and more beautiful as you go on. The enemy and boss designs are wonderful and the amount of content is unbelievable considering the size of the development team. Can't recommend this game enough.
  54. May 24, 2017
    This is the best Metroidvania to date and seeing Ori and the Blind Forest having a higher score is very sad. The art, atmosphere, music, enemy and boss design are superb.
  55. Apr 11, 2018
    AMAZING game! Very fun gameplay that is easy to learn but hard to master, HUGE map with tons of stuff to find and great rewards for exploration, and lush, gorgeous artwork and music. Might be the best 2d platformer I've ever played!!!
  56. May 28, 2018
    Hollow Knight is a triumph of 2D platforming and combat. It is one of the few games that would not be incorrect to call it "Dark Souls" like. This game stands as a shining beacon of an example; how to run a kickstarter, how to create fun 2D combat, how metroid-vanias are still relevant. And with a price tag of only $15, it has one of the highest bang for your buck of any game I have seen.
  57. Mar 26, 2017
    Amazing................................................................................................................................................................
  58. Mar 15, 2017
    This game provides such a wonderful experience, and it's simply one of the best Metroidvanias of this generation. Fun, deep gameplay, great art direction and lasting appeal. Give it a try and you will see!
  59. Aug 17, 2017
    Five Word Review: Best in class metroidvania, phenomenal!
    Favorite Thing: There aren't a whole lot of new concepts here but everything they do they do exceptionally well. The abilities, combat, animation, visuals, bosses, etc etc.
    Least Favorite Thing: Travel. Until you get the (optional) Dream Gate it's tedious. Date Completed: 2017-08-16 Playtime: ~ 41h (100% completion)
    Five Word Review: Best in class metroidvania, phenomenal!

Date Completed: 2017-08-16
    Playtime: ~ 41h (100% completion)
    Enjoyment: 10/10
    Recommendation: YES!
  60. Oct 18, 2017
    This game is just awesome. Fantastic art, tight controls and superb atmosphere. Altho it borrows from Darks Souls a lot, I still feel they did a really wonderful game on its own. Some of the powerups feel pointless compared to others, but at least there is a lot to chose from, All in all, I have to say this is my favorite game this year so far. Highly recommended.
  61. Jun 12, 2018
    I rare give perfect-score reviews, and Hollow Knight definitely deserves one. Of the dozen or so Metroidvania games I've played over the years, it's my favorite. The mechanics are precise and reproducible. The world is hauntingly gorgeous. The exploration is very enjoyable.
  62. Mar 10, 2018
    This game is one of the best games that I played for the last few years. And it is definitely the best metroidvania so far.
  63. Jul 12, 2017
    The best indie metroidvania, and one of the best metroidvanias in general. Great gameplay, great design, great music. The only cons are some framerate issues and the backtracking can get a little bit tedious, no game is perfect but in spite of that details this game is a master piece that you must play.
  64. Aug 15, 2017
    Feels a lot like dark souls. A very challenging and rewarding experience and would be a great fit if you are bored with games that hold you hand too much. The music and graphics are just on point. However, the developers need to adjust some of the bosses and areas. They can be super imbalanced or poorly designed sometimes and are so frustrating that I don't enjoy it and want to quit.
  65. Oct 8, 2018
    This game is amazing - 10/10!
    Absolutely beautiful!
    Perfect!
    Iis one of the best indie games ever!
  66. May 9, 2017
    The more I play this, the more I can say it's one of my favorite games of all time. It's certainly one of the most well-crafted Metroidvanias I've played. The controls are super tight, making combat feel fast, impulsive, and fun, which provides an excellent contrast to the dour and hopeless tone given off by the excellent score, sound design, visual style, and world design. They reallyThe more I play this, the more I can say it's one of my favorite games of all time. It's certainly one of the most well-crafted Metroidvanias I've played. The controls are super tight, making combat feel fast, impulsive, and fun, which provides an excellent contrast to the dour and hopeless tone given off by the excellent score, sound design, visual style, and world design. They really made a game fairly comparable to Dark Souls in tone and even in some of the mechanics. The combination of brutal, fast-paced combat and intriguingly depressing aesthetic and level design has kept me coming back, making me excited to revisit previously visited areas of the game upon unlocking new abilities. Luckily, this game gives you plenty of excuses to do this, and there is truly a lot to do in this game; I'm only about 23 hours in and I'm not even 60% of the way to completing the game. I am aware that other people have experienced technical hiccups in their playthroughs but I have only experienced one significant bug during a boss fight, but it's in no way a pervasive problem. Additionally, for the PC master race out there, this game runs at a nearly flawless 60 fps on my laptop, and I believe higher end machines have been able to play it at even higher frame rates. In every aspect, from the technical to the aesthetic to the mechanical, Hollow Knight is a gem that should not be overlooked. It deserves to stand alongside indie darlings like Braid, Limbo, and Bastion as a true testament to the capability of a small team with a coherent vision. Expand
  67. Jun 26, 2017
    Would have been a 9.5 out of 10 (If that were possible here) on launch because it was hampered with some performance issues in a couple of areas and an issue with the difficulty of finding the map giver in the game in a couple of areas in the game (which I didn't personally find to be an issue but I disagreed with how it was done) until one of the early patches, which mostly fixed theWould have been a 9.5 out of 10 (If that were possible here) on launch because it was hampered with some performance issues in a couple of areas and an issue with the difficulty of finding the map giver in the game in a couple of areas in the game (which I didn't personally find to be an issue but I disagreed with how it was done) until one of the early patches, which mostly fixed the performance issues and completely fixed the map giver issue.

Almost all of the game is near perfect. From the atmosphere to the difficulty curve to the storytelling to the level/enemy design all of it does what a game like this should do and more. The amount of different systems for character upgrades is so big most other games with similar scopes to their upgrade systems would make the player feel overwhelmed but this game doesn't - almost all of which are usable in certain play styles. Some of the less taught, less mandatory systems you can go the whole game without realizing that they exist and yet not feel like you played an incomplete game. The controls feel natural and responsive. The bosses are well designed and for the most part fair (there is one minor gripe I have with one of them out of like 20 because it has a random chance issue that has a chance to screw you into taking damage before it is possible to react). To top it all of it is only 15$ (currently on sale for closer to 10) for the amazing 20-40 hr metroidvania that is Hollow knight.
  68. Jul 4, 2017
    +Great Gameplay, with a solid level of challenge.
    +One of the best soundtracks in years.
    +Addictive, honestly.
    Overall, it's one of the best games I've played this year. You should most CERTAINLY get this game. Ignore the negative reviews down below. I feel as if the people giving the lower reviews aren't familiar with how these types of games are played. Sad, really.
  69. Jul 15, 2017
    Responsive controls, fantastic hand-drawn artwork, beautiful music, lots of secrets and an impressive attention to detail. For $15, the amount of worthwhile content is astonishing and it's technically made by 3 people!
  70. Aug 7, 2017
    A must-have for any Metroidvania fan. Probably the new standard within the genre. A beautiful soundtrack, well balanced gameplay, an engaging story, and awesome art. What more can you ask for in a game?

Hollow Knight is without a doubt a raging success, one of the few to come from Kickstarter.
  71. Nov 4, 2017
    Great!

Incredible!

Highly Recommended!

Play it if you love games like Metroid Fusion.

Beautiful!

Great!

Incredible!

Highly Recommended!
  72. Sep 6, 2017
    "The market is oversaturated with Metroidvanias" I agree but unfortunately not a single one of them is on the same level as the Metroid and Castlevania games. Guacamelee and Cave Story may come close but that's it. My thirst for an amazing Metroidvania was still there and then I played Hollow Knight. Amazing. 10/10. Sadly it took me a while to get into it.
  73. Sep 20, 2017
    Absolute masterpiece, one of the best metroidvanias ever made, up there with Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid. Incredibly atmospheric, ranging from cute and charming with the bug theme (which isn't overused in the slightest), to dark and creepy. Music and art are both great, controls are very tight, and most importantly, the world design and combat are top notch. The sheer number ofAbsolute masterpiece, one of the best metroidvanias ever made, up there with Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid. Incredibly atmospheric, ranging from cute and charming with the bug theme (which isn't overused in the slightest), to dark and creepy. Music and art are both great, controls are very tight, and most importantly, the world design and combat are top notch. The sheer number of cool interconnections, level varieties, mix between combat and platforming, and sheer number of things to do is incredible given that its a small indie game, and it does an excellent job of being completable for those who don't want to necessarily get 100%. Takes around 20 hours to complete casually, and around 30-40 hours to 100% (and if you metroidvanias at all, or at least enough to finish this, than you'll likely want to get 100% as well). Though there are some flaws, such as most of the bosses not being very memorable or the map system not being ideal, they are extremely heavily outweighed by positives. Very well worth the money, a true modern classic in a time where metroidvanias are making a comeback from a very long dark age. Expand
  74. Oct 5, 2017
    Probably my favorite game so far this year. There are very few games that are able to make you feel like you are steadily getting better and better at the game through your skill alone, but this game manages to achieve that. There were some enemies that I initially spent 5+ minutes trying to beat that I eventually was able to dispatch in seconds without even gaining an extra ability toProbably my favorite game so far this year. There are very few games that are able to make you feel like you are steadily getting better and better at the game through your skill alone, but this game manages to achieve that. There were some enemies that I initially spent 5+ minutes trying to beat that I eventually was able to dispatch in seconds without even gaining an extra ability to help me. Beautiful art, amazing story, super responsive controls, and just overall a fantastic game. Expand
  75. yzd
    Mar 19, 2018
    I think that his game is not getting enough attention from the gaming community. Controls are the best I have seen in a 2D game. The atmosphere is beautiful, the art style is really stunning. The story is told by environmental clues and NPC dialogues mostly reminiscent of Dark Souls style. I should say that game is a bit hard but it is completely doable. In addition, the game packs tons ofI think that his game is not getting enough attention from the gaming community. Controls are the best I have seen in a 2D game. The atmosphere is beautiful, the art style is really stunning. The story is told by environmental clues and NPC dialogues mostly reminiscent of Dark Souls style. I should say that game is a bit hard but it is completely doable. In addition, the game packs tons of quality content(around 40 hours) especially considering its price. I don't think that a Metroidvania game can get any better than this one. Expand
  76. Oct 10, 2017
    Hollow Knight has great controls, along with some enjoyable backtracking that doesn't get tiresome. Somewhat challenging bosses and enemies. Has excellent music and graphics, along with a vague plot that builds over the course of the game. The game is re-playable, and there is new content added on the regular. I would 100% recommend this game. Hollow Knight is a masterpiece, and it needsHollow Knight has great controls, along with some enjoyable backtracking that doesn't get tiresome. Somewhat challenging bosses and enemies. Has excellent music and graphics, along with a vague plot that builds over the course of the game. The game is re-playable, and there is new content added on the regular. I would 100% recommend this game. Hollow Knight is a masterpiece, and it needs more attention from the media. Expand
  77. Oct 16, 2017
    beat the game, can't wait to come back to it after a break. I am not a hardcore platformer gamer, not a dark souls guy either..... but this game is a mastahpeece!!!!! Sound design is spot on, i love the art design, controls are tight, combat is challenging but rewarding, characters/bosses are unique and memorable. Go buy this game.

I give it a 9 because it is not perfect, but hardly

I give it a 9 because it is not perfect, but hardly anything is.
  78. Nov 1, 2017
    This game is help me to remember my childhood. A platformer with fights. How beautiful, cause all know that in old times, there's many of games like that type.

Fight for your life, fight for understand what is going on. Fight if you want to understand your journey.
  79. Nov 1, 2017
    The best metroidvania ever released. For me, the best game of 2017! Damn beautiful hand-made drawing. Fantastic style and music. Super cute and at the same time gloomy and atmospheric world of beetles and spiders.
  80. Nov 4, 2017
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Masterpiece.
  81. Apr 17, 2018
    Spoiler free review

CUP-WHO? The legend of zelda-breath of the what? Love the game :D Completed it whit all three endings and i LOVE THE GAME. I completed it 89 % so now im gonna go and get the 100%. THE GAME IS AWESOME. Team cherry is the best devs and publichers EVER. The visuals,the music,the difficulty, the bosses ,enemies Lore,ALL OF THEM IS AMAZING. Also team cherry is
    Spoiler free review

CUP-WHO?
    The legend of zelda-breath of the what?

Love the game :D
    Completed it whit all three endings and i LOVE THE GAME.
    I completed it 89 % so now im gonna go and get the 100%.
    THE GAME IS AWESOME.
    Team cherry is the best devs and publichers EVER.
    Also team cherry is doing patches and free dlcs!!!
    BUY THE GAME NOW!!

Note:
    Storie is not detailedly told (and endings too)so if you want to know what the hell happend to the kingdom you must watch lot of youtube lore videos and read stuff online.
    But this wasnt an problem for me?
    I really liked the mistery and the way story is told

Really dont have any major cons to the game.The problems from people that rated this game mixed or bad didnt really effected me and i never really noticed them

And extra tip:dont use fragile strenght you will ruin the game for yourself
  82. Mar 27, 2018
    lo único que puedo decir de este juego es que es hermoso en cuanto a mapas y detalles además la historia es muy compleja y trae una profundidad tan buena que a uno lo deja con ansias el sistema de combate es bueno pero le falta pulirlo pero de resto todo good :v
  83. May 15, 2018
    I have never been a fan of "Metroidvania" game. I like them, I have played a few Metroid and Castlevania but only completed the Metroid on GBA. I usually get bored at some point or simply lose interest after not playing for a while.

Hollow knight got me hooked the second I started. I had to complete every single thing that could be done in the game and was pretty sad at the end to know I could not discover this word for the first time ever again.

The graphics are pretty, the music is gorgeous, the gameplay on point. The controls are super clutch and the storyline gives just enough to keep you wondering what happened in this strange land.

In a time where game have a nasty tendency to hold your hand the whole way, Hollow knight let's you explore the way you want. If you went too far, you might need to backtrack and regroup. The game will punish you for being too arogant. You will have to walk back, you will lose all your hard earned money.

I have heard a lot of "Hollow knight is dark soul" retoric. Did anyonw ever player on the NES or the SNES? Games were brutal back in the days. I was raised on this so any "dark soul" comparison seems silly. I am ok with a boss or level needing to be done again and again and again until I can do the perfect run. This is my fix. I am bored by modern game that assume you can't handle any hard part of will trow a tantrum if it's to hard. People will talk about classics like Kid Icarus or Ghouls and Ghost, ever played the Star wars on SNES? All of those game were BRUTAL! That's what I liked.

This game is the best game I played since I can't ever remember when. Team Cherry created a masterpiece that is way up there with the big boys.
  84. Dec 9, 2018
    Este juego es tan perfecto a todos los niveles, jugabilidad versátil, historia que te atrapa desde el minuto 1, estética preciosa, banda sonora brutal...
  85. Sep 14, 2018
    amazing controls and i hate to be that guy but all the people giving 0-3 ratings just say "it's too hard" which is a good thing imo
  86. Sep 27, 2018
    It's a masterpiece

Your review must be at least 75 characters long.Your review must be at least 75 characters long.
  87. Nov 21, 2018
    Simply put, this is one of the best video games ever made. I don't say that lightly. The art style finds that perfect balance between showing its dark mood while also being colorful and vibrant. It's impossible to ignore how beautiful this game looks. it bleeds character and you know even just glancing at the screen for a second that this is Hollow Knight, plus due to the nature of itsSimply put, this is one of the best video games ever made. I don't say that lightly. The art style finds that perfect balance between showing its dark mood while also being colorful and vibrant. It's impossible to ignore how beautiful this game looks. it bleeds character and you know even just glancing at the screen for a second that this is Hollow Knight, plus due to the nature of its hand drawn colorful 2-D art style, this game will always look amazing...The graphics also work in this way...the game tells you everything you need to know. Enemies you fight all have a distinct look so you know what to look out for, you know which enemies fly and shoot projectiles, which ones will charge at you with a melee attack, etc. after just a couple hours of play so nothing ever feels cheap or unfair. Boss fights in this game are unapologetically difficult and a very good test of your skills while still maintaining balanced gameplay which makes them incredibly satisfying to fight with, even when you die to some of the hardest bosses in the game it's hard to be upset because you know it's because you didn't time your jump or your attack or whatever it is you failed to do properly, and figuring it out later and winning will make you feel like a big brained gamer. The story takes a bit of inspiration from Dark Souls and Bloodborne with its vagueness but make no mistake this is its own thing and does much differently, if you are the type who wants a traditional story with cutscenes explaining everything than maybe you won't like it but I still reccommend the game based on gameplay and exploration alone. Oh also, DLC is free and the game is only $15 with a ton of replay value and it's an easy 40-60 hour playthrough for most people...There are $60 games with $20-50 season passes with one fifth as much content as this. If you haven't already played this for whatever reason. I beg of you, treat yourself. Expand
  88. Dec 4, 2018
    This game was truly amazing.
    The game feels great to control and while playing trough the game new power-ups are gained which makes the combat more complex and thus more interesting.
    The game looks beautiful and the dark tone is greatly used. The atmosphere is constantly changing and even tough it is constantly sad, it is somehow very varied. The music is mostly sad and epic (during
    This game was truly amazing.
    The music is mostly sad and epic (during combat) which absolutely fits the game.
    The story/lore is very interesting and even tough it is vague and you have to look for it, IT IS GREAT.
    And the last but not the least; the amount of content in the game is huge for a 15 dollar game. And three free DLC content packs have been released, in addition a new paid DLC will come out in the future. if you cannot decide werther to buy this game or not; i strongly recommend it.
  89. Mar 16, 2017
    Great Metroidvania / Dark Souls combination. if you like metroid vanias and the souls games youll feel right at home. the art style is awesome, the controls are great, the progression is great, the atmosphere is superb. Story telling is similar to the Souls games and they borrowed quite a lot more and made it their own. The game has character and a lot of the npcs you meet are quiteGreat Metroidvania / Dark Souls combination. if you like metroid vanias and the souls games youll feel right at home. the art style is awesome, the controls are great, the progression is great, the atmosphere is superb. Story telling is similar to the Souls games and they borrowed quite a lot more and made it their own. The game has character and a lot of the npcs you meet are quite lovable and/or cute. The year just started but it is already acontender for GOTY. It is not quite as hard as the Souls games but it still feels very rewarding when you beat one of the countless bosses. it has a massive world and a lot to discover. for the asking price this game is definitely a steal. The devs are nice and working with the community to fix everything and patch in new content. This is a definite recommendation. Expand
  90. Mar 7, 2017
    This is the best metroidvania I've ever played. You explore a huge insect kingdom that now lies in ruins, while uncovering the cryptic plot and lore. You get new abilities, but not often, so you learn to use them to their full potential. The level design is superb and there are lots of shortcuts and secret ways that make it fast and fun to traverse the locations. The combat is super tight,This is the best metroidvania I've ever played. You explore a huge insect kingdom that now lies in ruins, while uncovering the cryptic plot and lore. You get new abilities, but not often, so you learn to use them to their full potential. The level design is superb and there are lots of shortcuts and secret ways that make it fast and fun to traverse the locations. The combat is super tight, each enemy requires its own tactics, and you can feel every hit you make. The art and soundtrack... just watch the trailers, they are awesome.

The game offers little directions, so you can only figure out where to go by exploring the world. Initially you do not even have a map for locations (you need to find the cartographer and buy it). This may put some people off, but I personally loved it.

You need to immerse yourself into the game to properly enjoy it, but you won't regret it.

Buy Hollow Knight if you like challenging combat, platforming, exploration and mystery.
  91. Mar 12, 2017
    Best game I've played since Bloodborne. Get this if you are a fan of:

Best game I've played since Bloodborne. Get this if you are a fan of:

- focus on exploration and combat. Seriously, this game's map is ridiculously large and filled with interesting things to find. It feels like you are exploring an actual world instead of a bunch of different levels. You will be rewarded with new abilities, optional bosses, equipment, NPC dialogue and other things I won't spoil

- interesting characters. They're everywhere. Some of them you will find in multiple locations (in a way that is reminiscent of Dark Souls quest lines)

- Beautiful art.. Probably the best looking Metroidvania style game to date

- Challenging gameplay. It starts of very tame, but ramps up smoothly. Some of the optional bosses take a lot of practice

- Attention to detail. Every room has its own character. There is a huge amount of background art and the enemy variety is through the roof. Keeps adding tons of new enemies until the very end

- Cryptic storytelling. Again, if you've played Dark Souls you'll feel right at home. The story is mostly told through NPC dialogue and the world itself.

The only negative points I find worth mentioning are on the technical side of things. There are random framedrops here and there and the pause menu's navigation (and only that menu) navigation is slow. That's all I can come up with. On a more subjective note, if you are easily frustrating by navigating through complex maps, this game is probably not for you, as often you won't be able to rely on your map for various reasons.
  92. Mar 15, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:
    Skills
    Items
    Music
    Graphics
    Gameplay

Cons:
    You must enter deeply into a new area before obtaining a map.
    There are bugs and glitches that prevent you from getting 100%.
  93. Jun 9, 2017
    I don't know how to describe it, just play it. "Your review must be at least 150 characters long." ok. This game if filled to the brim with content, I never once felt like what I was doing was pointless.
  94. Feb 26, 2017
    In Hollow Knight, you adventure across a range of diverse landscapes, from dimly lit caverns to jellyfish-infested jungles. The mellow soundtrack is an absolute pleasure to listen to, and sets the tone of the game excellently. The boss fights are creative and memorable, and there are over 30 of them. Even the normal enemies are a pleasure to look at and fight against. If you are even theIn Hollow Knight, you adventure across a range of diverse landscapes, from dimly lit caverns to jellyfish-infested jungles. The mellow soundtrack is an absolute pleasure to listen to, and sets the tone of the game excellently. The boss fights are creative and memorable, and there are over 30 of them. Even the normal enemies are a pleasure to look at and fight against. If you are even the slightest fan of platformers, nonlinear level design, or cute insects, you need to get this game. Hollow Knight is an incredibly atmospheric experience that I cannot recommend enough. Expand
  95. Feb 27, 2017
    A beautiful art-nouveau platformer. It has slick controls, great atmosphere and music. Every enemy has its quirks. When at first it seems hard, you'll adapt quickly and learn the ways of hallownest. An unconventional story told through the ruins of an old city. It has already risen to my favourite games of all time.
  96. Jul 18, 2017
    i played demon souls, dark souls 1, 2, 3, Bloodborne
    then i played hollow knight , dark souls games felt like a walk in the park comparing to this one
    i played demon souls, dark souls 1, 2, 3, Bloodborne
    this game will brutally destroy u and crashs you, you'll die in this game alooooooooooot you'll go back at the checkpoint are and you'll lose all your geos and you have to go through that hell again to get them back and 99% you won't, the world is too big and mysterious and awesome to explore, level design is brilliant, and there's 0 hand-holding you're on your own lil one.
    this games nails it, 10/10 best game i've played this year, worth your money and worth your time
  97. Apr 23, 2017
    This game is amazing. The graphics are superb, the combat was fun and responsive, good music and great NPC and enemy designs. I loved exploring the huge and expansive world of Hollownest. I know many didn't like the map system but I very rarely got lost and I didn't mind having to go and find the cartographer to be to see the map. The difficulty was perfectly balanced, I felt. Every time IThis game is amazing. The graphics are superb, the combat was fun and responsive, good music and great NPC and enemy designs. I loved exploring the huge and expansive world of Hollownest. I know many didn't like the map system but I very rarely got lost and I didn't mind having to go and find the cartographer to be to see the map. The difficulty was perfectly balanced, I felt. Every time I died, I thought it was because I wasn't doing good enough and not because the game was being cheap. And I died quite a few times. It was never too easy and never too difficult. I also thought the punishment of being sent back to your last save spot after death was appropriate. I really didn't mind the punishment all that much. I know a lot of people complained of performance issues but I didn't experience any problems while playing. The only thing that I don't much care for is how cryptic and hard to understand the story is. But maybe that's a good thing. Less is more after all. I do love how intriguing and mysterious all the characters (living and dead) and environments are. After putting almost 50 hours into this game I can say it's one my new all time favorite games. When it gets released on the Switch, I'm absolutely buying and playing it again. Definitely the best game of 2017. Expand
  98. Oct 2, 2017
    I made an account, just to give this game a 10/10, its that dammed good.
    This game is a gem, that deserves universal praise.
    Hollow Knight is a metroidvania with enough heart to be one of the best games of 2017. There is so much to cover in this indie gem, that this review would not do it justice. instead ill rate every part of this game, with as much detail as possible without any
    I made an account, just to give this game a 10/10, its that dammed good.
    This game is a gem, that deserves universal praise.

instead ill rate every part of this game, with as much detail as possible without any (major) spoilers.

Pacing: The game starts you off with a nail for a basic attack, a basic jump and a basic heal. There is nothing else, classic to a metroidvania. You don't even own a map to begin with. As the game goes on, you acquire said map, and basic (besides the 3rd mobility item, hell yes) mobility items which unlock areas you couldn't get to before etc. Hollow Knight does an excellent job of having a reward at the end of each area, respectful of the time you put in and bosses you faced. The game is linear for the first three areas, then branches off spectacularly. Every aspect of the pacing is near perfect, it never feels too boring or like you're being forced into an area, it is very natural. The only possible complaint I could have is that the early parts are a tiny bit too slow, maybe starting off with the dash, or acquiring it in the first section, may have been a better way to jumpstart the game.
    Rating: 9.5/10

Combat: The combat of this game is a clear focus, they did not brush over it such as in Ori and the Blind Forest, instead Hollow Knight explores a rich and rewarding combat system. Some bosses are absolutely incredible, the final boss is in my top three final bosses of all time. However as an indie team, it was impossible to flesh out each boss, so some, *cough* were not very interesting. One such boss only had a single attack and is easily cheesed, very underwhelming . The enemies in Hollow Knight had decent variety with some reproducing old enemies such as in a certain battle arena, but this is excused by the ridiculously large amount of enemies there were in a $15 game. The combat is beautifully fleshed out through these 'charms', with all of such being interesting and adding a new dimension to the combat. The charms are extremely polished and the idea of making some interact dynamically with others is genius.
    Rating: 9.3/10

Controls: The controls of Hollow Knight are perfect, to a dot. I spent ages trying to think of a way to improve controls (on pc) but I could not find a single way. This is not to say that it won't take a while to get used to but when you make a mistake it is always, always your fault. The controls are tight, rigid and are a perfect compliment to combat and exploration.
    Rating: 10/10

Exploration: When I set foot in one of the new areas, I spent a good 2 minutes sitting on a bench with another little bug ravelling in the beautiful scenery and accompanied harp and vocals. That area was such a contrast to anything I had seen thus far. If Hollow Knight can do one thing perfectly, its contrasting one area to another. Leaving the bleak forgotten crossroads and entering into a beautiful far more light area (to avoid details) was refreshing, and kept me wanting to see more of this world. Some area's require vigorous trial and error and double-checking to find every little charm or geo deposit. I can confirm after even 75 hours in this world, I still find videos of people finding new areas I had never seen. Even in a "100%" run, you don't find everything, there is still more to find and discover.
    Rating: 9.7/10

Soundtrack: After listening to each track through full after purchasing the soundtrack, I had a new level on top of my already high appreciation for the superb soundtrack. It is so, damn, good. There is not a single track the feels out of place or weak in any way. Of course not to say some are not better than others, listening to the final boss fight's music gave me goosebumps; a perfect concoction of intensity, power, urgency and funereal feelings of "oh my god, this is it", I have felt in a long time. For comparison, for me it is on-par with Undertale and Nier-Automata.
    Rating: 9.8/10

Verdict (and anything else I didn't cover) I paid $15 for a $30 dollar game. Hollow Knight is an absolute must-have an a steal in every respect for anybody who likes a challenging, dark, uplifting journey of a bug on it's journey through the kingdom of Hallownest. I didn't even mention the art, which is absolutely incredible in every way, wow, but I don't have the characters for that.

I hope that this review will just get ONE person, to consider playing Hollow Knight.

If that person is you, you will not regret it.
  99. Aug 13, 2017
    I am getting too old for this. I can see patterns in this game from early Spectrum games through to retro hits from the last few years but despite it's familiarity this is a great game.

The presentation is a mix of modern retro (if thats not complete guff) and Ghibli Studios style animation (check out the benches and character dialogue and tell me otherwise). In case the ending is

In case the ending is awful I havent finished it but the tale is of retribution in a poisened land.

Yes its familiar but it is so lovingly presented and told the cliches do not stick in the mind - the clever level design and frantic button mashing does instead.

It claims to allow you to go your own way in this tale - but do not expect Skyrim here.

The story and puzzle solving reveals as you gain new abilities - rewarded from a mix of story boss fights and exploration.

That shortcoming aside - this is a great experience, presented so well you forget you have played a similar game before.
  100. Aug 21, 2017
    outstanding metroidvania.... cannot put this down. on par with ori for completely different reasons. if you are a fan of the genre you owe it to yourself to buy this.... it is worth much more than 14.99

1. Jul 29, 2018
    Hollow Knight is one of the best 2D platformers I’ve ever played - it is a beautiful, quirky and dynamic game; challenging yet rewarding; mournful yet brimming with hope. When it comes to console, it’s going to cause a real stir.
  2. Jun 22, 2018
    Hollow Knight is a Metroidvania with a well of content to discover that’s as deep as its labyrinthine caves. The world of Hallownest is compelling and rich, full of story that’s left for you to discover on your own, and built with branching paths that offer an absurd amount of choice in how you go about discovering it. With such a high density of secrets to find and fun, challenging enemies to face, it’s worth spending every moment you can in Hollow Knight.
  3. Jan 2, 2018
    A very difficult and hand-drawn Metroidvania with an enormous size for players with a lot of patience and a high frustration tolerance.