8.3

1. Jun 25, 2019
    Don't have much to say other than it's a really good horror game. But I'm not too into horror games so my scores not as high as it would be if I liked the genre more.
  2. May 22, 2019
    A shi**y attempt at creating something resembling a horror game, but failing so hard, it might as well be called an abomination. The first 5-10 minutes of this game will show you everything, what this "product" is about... awful jumpscares, no atmosphere whatsoever. The creators don't know what is "atmosphere" or "climate", so you won't find it here. Instead you get chased by nakedA shi**y attempt at creating something resembling a horror game, but failing so hard, it might as well be called an abomination. The first 5-10 minutes of this game will show you everything, what this "product" is about... awful jumpscares, no atmosphere whatsoever. The creators don't know what is "atmosphere" or "climate", so you won't find it here. Instead you get chased by naked s*itheads every now and then and try to move into another room and so on and so on. There is nothing interesting or fun here. I'm not even gonna talk about the camera and the green color that makes me want to watch Shrek instead of playing this filth ever again. Jumpscares do not equal horror. There is nothing scary about this game. it's a waste of time, sh**y walking/running simulator in an asylum... which is probably filled with people, that had to test this game before releasing it. Boring s*itstain... that's what Outcast is. And sadly, I need to inform you, that I've also played and finished the "expansion pack" to it, so be ready for that review, which might be just a copy of this review... it's still gonna be more work, than those a**holes did while making this game. Pickens laughs at this. Expand
  3. Jan 16, 2019
    I'm not saying this game is trash. Story was okay and graphic was sexy.

What irritating and disturbing things were I can't fight back. It's thrilling for running away from threat and danger. But I started to feel annoyed and bored after hours of flee. Also, If anyone played DLC ..... You guys probably know the character known ...... who call Walyon 'DARLING'. That psycho
    I'm not saying this game is trash. Story was okay and graphic was sexy.

Also, If anyone played DLC ..... You guys probably know the character known ...... who call Walyon 'DARLING'. That psycho traumatized me enough and made me delete the game.

If anyone were triggered by my review, I don't care.

[At least, Trigger has some humors and call Miles 'Buddy'. And Will rider is mysterious and fabulous creature. Chris Walker..... well he was a solider. And thankfully Soldiers were wiping out all enemy at last.]
  4. Oct 24, 2018
    In a world where good horror games are hard to come by, this one dominates most of them.
  5. Oct 15, 2018
    Outlast is an enjoyable haunted house ride with a great atmosphere full of dread and some intense moments. This hide'n seek subgenre of horror games isn't really my cup of tea, but I'd recommend getting this game around Halloween. Either you play it alone or (preferrably) with a few friends it sure will give you some decent thrills and fun jumpscares.
  6. Jul 29, 2018
    The best survival-horror game I've ever played. The trailer was spooky and terrific. The actual gameplay and storyline was fantastic. It literally scared me while playing it with lights off and sound full on. The graphics are awesome and story is well written which impacts the gameplay, which is quite good indeed..salute to Red Barrels for this epic survival-horror game. This game worth aThe best survival-horror game I've ever played. The trailer was spooky and terrific. The actual gameplay and storyline was fantastic. It literally scared me while playing it with lights off and sound full on. The graphics are awesome and story is well written which impacts the gameplay, which is quite good indeed..salute to Red Barrels for this epic survival-horror game. This game worth a buy indeed. Expand
  7. May 19, 2018
    Terrorífico. Realmente pasé miedo, y hubo momentos en que me pude sentir el latir del corazón. Muy bien diseñado, la única pega que podría verle es que a veces se siente demasiado pasillero, aunque no es algo en lo que me estuviese fijando mucho mientras sudaba de la tensión. Muy satisfecho de que apenas haya jumpscares, pues no los necesita para provocar miedo real. Recomendado.
  8. May 10, 2018
    Она не страшная.
    Бегать и прятаться от глупых ботов страшно может быть только ребенку. Типичный инди хоррор, который удачно раскрутился. В целом разработчики сделали неплохой продукт, но не фееричный.
    Возможно попадание произошло из-за малого количества игр, которые дают ощущение полной слабости и беззащитности. Точно говорить не скажу такой статистики не знаю. Продукт на любителя.
    Она не страшная.
    Точно говорить не скажу такой статистики не знаю.
    Продукт на любителя.
  9. Apr 5, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excelente jogo, terror psicológico presente com jumpscares raros mais presentes, o que causa medo de ser assustado no jogador. Cumpriu com o que prometeu. Recomendo Expand
  10. Mar 24, 2018
    Veamos por donde empiezo... meh da flojera, ire directamente al grano.
    LA jugabilidad es buena, la musica de cuando te persiguen o detectan es bueno te pone nervioso por que no te atrapen, el uso de la camara es vital en el juego como para ver en la oscuridad para ver mas lejos también.
    Veamos por donde empiezo... meh da flojera, ire directamente al grano.
    Pero a mi lo que mas me arruino la experiencia no fue la ambientación ni nada de eso, como que me bajo la emoción en 1 segundo por el final no quiero contar nada para no hacer spoilers, pero fue el peor final de un videojuego que yo halla jugado. Aun asi disfrute mucho jugando Outlast eso no se los voy a negar.
  11. Mar 10, 2018
    I watched this game over five times before buying and I still shat my pants.

Seriously, though, it's a good game with great storytelling, but the run and hide can get quite repetitive towards the end.
  12. Feb 27, 2018
    This game is interesting and scary at the same time. Best horror game, i recommend!
  13. Dec 26, 2017
    If you haven't played this game you should go and buy it on G2A 0.81 euros .
    It's a thrilling adventure that will give you chills and a lot of nightmares.
    I recommend you to play this game! 9.8/10
  14. Nov 11, 2017
    Not a bad game. A lot of blood, guts and even genital organs. At the game's beginning much scares, but later the game is becoming fun for me. Just got used to the situation. Despite this, Outlast is a good survival horror. Miles Apsher's adventure was unforgettable.
  15. Nov 5, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nietzsche once said: “Whoever fights with monsters should see to it that he does not become a monster in the process.” This is what Outlast is about. In this game you can explore dark corners of human minds and watch how easy people turn into monsters. At the beginning of the game you are driven by the urge to stop whatever is going on in Mount Massive, but… What will become of you if you stay there long enough? If you want to delve into this madness, you should be ready to accept its rules and live by them: hide and run for your life. Even though Outlast is not that long (up to 4 or 5 hours), it will tickle your nerves with ominous music and the sense of the coming troubles. You’d better stay sharp – you never know when the abyss will stare back at you. Expand
  16. Oct 25, 2017
    What can i say about this OVERRATED piece of trash, another overrated attempt of an "horror" game, if this is what we have now as "horror" we are really fuc*** up, so please stay away from this trash. I can't give it more than 4 points, because i am a very good person i don't give this a 3, but believe me, this is far to be a good game. How can you be completely disarmed in an "horror"What can i say about this OVERRATED piece of trash, another overrated attempt of an "horror" game, if this is what we have now as "horror" we are really fuc*** up, so please stay away from this trash. I can't give it more than 4 points, because i am a very good person i don't give this a 3, but believe me, this is far to be a good game. How can you be completely disarmed in an "horror" game, i know that the lack of weapons maybe increase the horror, but this is too far, imagine if in resident evil or silent hill (true horror games) you don't have any weapons, imagine how bad those game become if you don't have weapons. The weapons give you hope, but this game eliminates all your hope, you need to be running like a girl from every enemy, hidding like a **** and running away, like the mediocre title "silent hill shattered memories" but Outlast is even worst. The gameplay is very repetitive and the graphics are average, no good music to add to this **** experience, really don't waste money in this piece of garbage, another overhyped attempt of game, hope soon every good gamer forget about this horrible title. Expand
  17. Oct 18, 2017
    Nothing too spectacular really, I guess I am suffering from to high expectations, as it was recommended as the scariest game ever... it goes nowhere near scariness of evil within, or silent hill, it's not extremely bad ether, if you are afraid or darkness and freaks then this is your game...
  18. Oct 1, 2017
    Perhaps, in the past two or three years, this is the scariest and most atmospheric game.
    Outlast can safely bring the textbooks to create atmospheric games. I think, or to be more precise I hope that thanks to games such as Outlast, survival-horror genre, or horrors can be reborn in the form in which it was once born.
    Game developers studio Red Barrels cheers! And a special thank
  19. Aug 30, 2017
    This is what a horror game should be about. In this game you áre alone, you áre disgusted, you áre terrified. You really want to get out of that wicked place, but not before 'enjoying' every minute of an extraordinary ride through a hell of murderous nutcases and blood. The horror cliches are there: the jump scares, the lunatic asylum, pieces of story you find on your way. But all isThis is what a horror game should be about. In this game you áre alone, you áre disgusted, you áre terrified. You really want to get out of that wicked place, but not before 'enjoying' every minute of an extraordinary ride through a hell of murderous nutcases and blood. The horror cliches are there: the jump scares, the lunatic asylum, pieces of story you find on your way. But all is decently worked out. Outlast was a parasite painfully eating my mind and I did not regret that for one moment. Expand
  20. Aug 8, 2017
    Outlast nie zawiódł pokładanych w nim nadziei i okazał się świetną, wciągającą i przyprawiającą o ciarki na plecach grą, która dosłownie nie pozwala oderwać się od monitora. Spędziłem przy nim niezapomniane 4 godziny i mam szczerą nadzieję, że twórcy już pracują nad kontynuacją. Z plusów gry warto wymienić chociażby niesamowity klimat i koncepcję wizualną etapów, gra potrafi równieżOutlast nie zawiódł pokładanych w nim nadziei i okazał się świetną, wciągającą i przyprawiającą o ciarki na plecach grą, która dosłownie nie pozwala oderwać się od monitora. Spędziłem przy nim niezapomniane 4 godziny i mam szczerą nadzieję, że twórcy już pracują nad kontynuacją. Z plusów gry warto wymienić chociażby niesamowity klimat i koncepcję wizualną etapów, gra potrafi również porządnie wystraszyć (zwłaszcza grając w nocy z założonymi słuchawkami^^). Jeśli chodzi o minusy to można by „przyczepić się” się do czasu poświęconego na jej ukończenie (chciałoby się grać zdecydowanie dłużej!) oraz do powtarzalności niektórych elementów rozgrywki (w stylu znajdź jakiś przedmiot, dźwignie, przełącznik itp.). Nie zmienia to jednak faktu, że jest to jedna z lepszych produkcji, w jakie miałem przyjemność zagrać w tym roku - i po prostu nie można przejść obok niej obojętnie. Jest również dowodem na to, jak dobra realizacja i prosta, lecz wciągająca rozgrywka mogą stać się przepisem na sukces…

Plusy:
    + niesamowity klimat grozy
    + koncepcja wizualna etapów
    + realizm otoczenia
    + stopniowe odkrywanie elementów fabuły
    + reakcje głównego bohatera
    + dobre udźwiękowienie
    + potrafi nieźle wystraszyć ;-)

Minusy:
    – grafika mogłaby być ciut lepsza
    – długość gry (4h to trochę za krótko)
    – powtarzalność niektórych elementów rozgrywki
    – zostawia pewien niedosyt!

Pełna recenzja dostępna jest na blogu Gracz.org
  21. May 23, 2017
    Outlast has this tendency to get you in it's atmosphere and the second later ruin it completely, you struggle to from one place to the other, but there's no real sensation of doing anything at all, you're just running and hiding, constantly.

I'm not saying that you need to fight back or be provided with a weapon, just let the game tell it's story and show how scary it is, if I'm running all the goddam time it just makes me not even care about what happens at all because I'm just focusing on not being caught.

This game does not make you want to embrace it's story, just makes you look out for escape routes while avoiding enemies, and that sucks.
  22. May 7, 2017
    I expected more from Outlast. The game looks pretty good, nice graphics, you can see your character from FPS view, the environment is nicely detailed. The night vision camera looks great and works well for the gameplay mechanics built around it. The monsters look kinda scary.

The sound design is good, but not excellent. Voice acting is pretty good from beginning to end. It controls

It controls well, typical FPS controls, plus the simple video camera controls and a quick turn back mechanism.

The story feels cliché most of the time with some good parts, there are memorable quotes and memorable characters.

My complain about the game is sadly the gameplay itself. The chases sometimes are sometimes difficult to survive as you don't really know where to run you can run into dead-ends and you're dead. I am happy with the no defence mechanics, so there are no weapons, just hiding and running.
    It feels like trial and error which is frustrating and pulls you out from immersion. You die many times.

Hiding mechanics are kinda fun and sometimes intense, you can see the monsters looking under the beds, and looking for you which is scary. But also the hiding spots just tells you, something will happen. It's predictable.
    Also the other problem is, the game is very repetitive! You run, you hide, you look for an item, go back, open the door with the item, repeat. Sometimes you read some notes as a progress of the story and also if you record specific stuffs with your camera, your character writes a comment about it in his notebook. Some of them are really funny!
    About the fear factor, the game doesn't feel that scary. It relies on jumpscares and the repetitive nature of the game doesn't really help. And the repetitiveness exists in the game's world too, the Asylum's different places are way too similar sometimes.
    The monsters are more annoying than scary in this game but I never felt that pressure from them. I didn't really felt like I want to outlast.

The game is more frustrating than scary, the developers really should have learnt from Frictional Games. Amnesia - The Dark Descent for example was a lot easier game with lots of different places, puzzles and while there wasn't that many monsters in it, it kept me under pressure and terror and I felt in danger even when there wasn't real reason for that. Amnesia's castle was very easy to navigate since the places were very different. The monster encounters were a lot more scary than frustrating. I died 2 times in my whole Amnesia playthrough, and it felt scarier and immerse. The game gave you chance to survive in most of the cases, while Outlast punished you for little mistakes, making the game frustrating and wanted me to quit. And not because I crapped my pants.

In overall, Outlast is an OK horror game. Nice graphics, good sound design, great controls and many monsters. The story is OK, but the actual fear factor is lacking. The game is more frustrating than scary. It relies on a few cheap jump scares, but its atmosphere is just not that immerse so it just doesn't work that well. You can die a lot because sometimes it feels like trial and error and that ruins immersion.

I didn't play Outlast 2, I'm really curious about it. Outlast 1 was a disappointment for me, I expected a lot more from the game. I was hoping it's on par with the first Amnesia game in some ways, but it failed.
  23. Apr 20, 2017
    Fail and a boring idiotic idea of a game. You will use the camera the whole game and you will have nightmares not because of the horror in the game but because of the green color... Its like you playing the game with a broken video card.

And the game is far from scary, its a jump-scare game. And whats stupid is that jump scare does not accomplish the word "horror". jump scares are not the way to do a horror game.

This game is a rip off the game Amnesia, that game was the original FPS horror of its kind and it did things the right way not like this trash.
  24. Mar 13, 2017
    Outlast has surprisingly good graphics, a well written (with lots of cliches, unfortunately) story line, and has easy to use and understand controls. The game is based a lot around strategy, but tasks can be extremely repetitive. After a while, game play can get boring. The night vision effect is outstanding, and the atmosphere created is amazing. Don't even get me started on theOutlast has surprisingly good graphics, a well written (with lots of cliches, unfortunately) story line, and has easy to use and understand controls. The game is based a lot around strategy, but tasks can be extremely repetitive. After a while, game play can get boring. The night vision effect is outstanding, and the atmosphere created is amazing. Don't even get me started on the soundtrack, which is outstanding and greatly improved the game (I listen to it all the time!). However, the end of the story starts to fall apart and not make much sense, even though they try to make it. I also love the games attention to detail (like bloody footprints after stepping in blood). But the graphics quality greatly decreases when up close to textures. All of this together, is why I'm giving this game an 8. Expand
  25. Jan 27, 2017
    Outlast is a great horror game that channels Amnesia: The Dark Descent to some extent but has its own unique surprises that makes one skin crawl better than what others can deliver. The lone asylum in the mountains, the inhumane experiments, monstrosities roaming the dark hallways - we've all seen it before. Developer Red Barrels twist and turns that familiar formula in such a way whichOutlast is a great horror game that channels Amnesia: The Dark Descent to some extent but has its own unique surprises that makes one skin crawl better than what others can deliver. The lone asylum in the mountains, the inhumane experiments, monstrosities roaming the dark hallways - we've all seen it before. Developer Red Barrels twist and turns that familiar formula in such a way which will make you unwillingly drop your guard and submit to the terrifying experience that they've crafted. It's definitely one of the best and prettiest indie games out there and you'll find its tense atmosphere rivaling the biggest horror franchises in the industry.

And there you have it.
  26. Jan 21, 2017
    Jumps scares, running around halls full or closed doors just to get the next key for the next door. Avoiding or running away from monsters which you can't attack(!). The game is utterly linear, all its scary moments are scripted and mostly rely on loud sounds. This game feels more annoying and stupid than it is scary. With plenty of objects lying on the floor which could be used as aJumps scares, running around halls full or closed doors just to get the next key for the next door. Avoiding or running away from monsters which you can't attack(!). The game is utterly linear, all its scary moments are scripted and mostly rely on loud sounds. This game feels more annoying and stupid than it is scary. With plenty of objects lying on the floor which could be used as a weapon, your character simply refuses to fight back. And don't security guards carry pistols which you could pick? It's like one of those bad horror movies where you are more disappointed with the main charater's stupidity than scared by the danger he or she faces. Expand
  27. Jan 17, 2017
    Graphics are not the best and the story line can get kind of boring, but it's still one of the scariest and best games I've ever played. There's fast and intense moments as well as scary and nervous moments as well.
  28. Nov 6, 2016
    This game is with no doubt my favorite horror game. I've played the main story 4 times now, and I still love it. I've also played the DLC once and I'm probably going to play it many more times. The atmosphere in the game is amazing. The graphics and overall look are absolutely outstanding. In addition, I love the storyline. I'm not going to spoil anything about it, but it is so interestingThis game is with no doubt my favorite horror game. I've played the main story 4 times now, and I still love it. I've also played the DLC once and I'm probably going to play it many more times. The atmosphere in the game is amazing. The graphics and overall look are absolutely outstanding. In addition, I love the storyline. I'm not going to spoil anything about it, but it is so interesting and leaves room for the player to make their own theories about what is happening.

The game is definitely scary, not the scariest, but it is definitely a horror game. The game is scary from the start to the ending and I was sitting on the edge on my seat throughout the game.

How much you are going to like the game is of course individual, but I enjoyed playing it a whole lot.
  29. Oct 18, 2016
    Its a really good game. The problem is that the game is scary at first but after you keep facing the same enemies you cant feel scared by them anymore. Another problem with this game is that after a while it becomes jumpscare simulator and i think thats not horror and its just cheap.
  30. Oct 15, 2016
    [Russian] Outlast - прорыв в мире хорроров, а его создатели - толпа психов и, возможно, неадекватов!!! Сюжет и стиль игры очень сильно отличаются от всех других игр, здесь не надо ждать, что вашему персонажу в какой-то момент может повезти или что он лишний раз останется цел, такого здесь не будет никогда! Только хардкор! Все неудачи, которые могли бы случиться - случаются. У главного[Russian] Outlast - прорыв в мире хорроров, а его создатели - толпа психов и, возможно, неадекватов!!! Сюжет и стиль игры очень сильно отличаются от всех других игр, здесь не надо ждать, что вашему персонажу в какой-то момент может повезти или что он лишний раз останется цел, такого здесь не будет никогда! Только хардкор! Все неудачи, которые могли бы случиться - случаются. У главного героя (как и у нас) постепенно опускаются руки, но все же, что-то внутри шепчет : "Ни в коем случае не сдавайся. Вставай и иди вперед", и мы, вместе с ним, встаем и идем вперед.
    Дополнение к Outlast получилось менее интересным в моментах, однако сама история просто шикарная, хотя бы мы узнаем, откуда Майлз получает письмо, которое показывают в самом начале основной сюжетной линии. Не ожидал, что хотя бы для Парка все "хорошо" закончится. Поэтому смело утверждаю, что сюжет шикарен и такое должно показываться в фильме ужасов на экранах (разработчики, подумайте об этом, это был бы БУМ)

ВНИМАНИЕ! Следующий абзац - спойлер к концовке.
    Когда первый раз прошел Outlast очень сильно разочаровался в концовке (не в плохом смысле). Не, ну правда, уважаемые разработчики, это слишком сурово. Вот так вот... Я прочувствовал всю ту боль, которую чувствовал мой персонаж, я видел его глазами, думал его головой, я помню каждый момент, когда его дыхание утяжелялось и становилось более интенсивным... И вот так вот... Просто какие-то два недоумка СВАТовца (или кто там был) взяли и расстреляли? Это было очень обидно! Я плачу!

Изначально морально сложно настроиться на прохождение игры, но потом, спустя какое-то время входишь в раш и теряешься в ней с головой. Этот сюжет затягивает на все 100%. Достижения в игре получились не простыми, но и не совсем уж сложными, что тоже не может не радовать.

Из минусов могу явно выделить документы, которые мы собираем по ходу игры, они очень утомительные и скучные, я понимаю, что разработчики хотели добавить серьезности в игру (типа документы должны быть написаны официально), но я сложно настраивался на то, чтобы полностью прочитать некоторые архивы, уж слишком долго и скучно. Так же, ужасно - отсутствие русской озвучки, были в игре моменты, когда за титрами не успеваешь, та и вообще, в любой момент можно отвлечься на пару секунд и уже упустить пару фраз (которые, кстати, не так уж и важны в игре). Ну и последнее, стоило бы "открыть несколько дверей" на локации, потому что, в целом, игра получилась очень линейной, и мы может идти только туда, куда надо по сюжету, а остальные все двери закрыты, не считая некоторых мелких комнат. Негде бродить.

Из плюсов могу сказать так, эта игра заставит вас погрузиться в свою атмосферу и как бы вам страшно ни было, эта атмосфера будет затягивать в себя снова и снова. Графика и стилистика - самое то хоррор, так же радует некоторое стилистическое отличие между дополнением и основной линией, например, в первом случае - на улице туман, в другом - темень. И то, и другое очень красиво и ужасающе смотрится.

В общем, если бы у меня была возможность стереть себе память и повторить прохождение Outlast, то я так бы и сделал, а пока мне остается довольствоваться одним неполученным достижением (которое я рано или поздно получу) и тизером к Outlast II.

Моя оценка: 8/10.
  31. Sep 18, 2016
    First of all Outlast is one of the best horror games I have played. The game takes place in a creepy insane asylum. The game was made by former Ubisoft employees which really shows. The game's graphics are amazing and beautiful in a morbid grotesque way. The game’s atmosphere is dank, dark and uncomfortable. The game also features an amazing night vision camera that adds to the gamesFirst of all Outlast is one of the best horror games I have played. The game takes place in a creepy insane asylum. The game was made by former Ubisoft employees which really shows. The game's graphics are amazing and beautiful in a morbid grotesque way. The game’s atmosphere is dank, dark and uncomfortable. The game also features an amazing night vision camera that adds to the games creepy gritty atmosphere. The game features basic Amnesia style run and hide gameplay with platforming. The game’s night vision camera effects the gameplay by requiring the player to collect batteries to use the camera to be able to see in the dark. The game also features well crafted jumpscares that geniously got me at times. The only thing I found disappointing was the game’s ending but hey nothing's perfect.The game was thrilling and enthralling experience that I will never forget. Outlast is a modern horror masterpiece. Overall Outlast gets a 10/10. I can’t wait for the sequel coming out late 2016. I have heard that Resident Evil 7 is heavily inspired by this game and I am quite happy to hear that. Expand
  32. Aug 24, 2016
    O melhor jogo de terror que joguei na minha vida, isso é terror, jogo incrivel, com clima que combina perfeitamente, se voce é fraco nem tenta jogar isso
  33. Jul 28, 2016
    Outlast is a successful game which shows great scares and amazing graphics. The night vision effect is well done with a good atmosphere and a interesting story. Although, it is a bit short, about 4 hours in total which I think is how long this game should be, otherwise, it will be really repetitive. I would give this a 8/10.
  34. Jun 24, 2016
    This is so nice ? i know that some didnt like the plot, but this is amazing, this atmosphere, this gameplay, this design, these person. This is first game which i liked so much!!!
  35. May 31, 2016
    An amazing game by Red Barrels. Outlast is a survival horror that succeeds in all categories. The gameplay, art and design and storyline are absolutely incredible. Play this game!
  36. May 13, 2016
    This is scary horror . Outlast often compare with Five Night At Freddys Series and Slender Series , I think about Outlast better than FNAF series , but worse than Slender Series ( Special Slender The Arrival ) and Outlast one of the scariest horrors in the moments and in Outlast very awesome graphics for fan game
  37. Mar 21, 2016
    Outlast's great game even being a "indie" game. This title has a lot of things that makes a survival horror, but sometimes the game is soooo boring. Anyway, this game's a "Scare Simulator".

Take it if you want a survival horror with a nice history.
  38. Feb 21, 2016
    Siguiendo el legado de amnesia, este juego va por esa onda, con puzzles no muy complicados de resolver pero que necesitan ser ejecutados con un poco de precisión. No aporta mucho de nuevo, pero la historia es atrapante.
  39. Feb 19, 2016
    Petit survival bien flippant, votre seule arme étant une caméra ce qui limite pas mal le gamepaly basé sur du jumpscare, le jeu est vraiment très court mais intense, un petit 7 bien mérité
  40. Feb 15, 2016
    I'd say the game is scary, but relies way too much on jump scares. You don't ever really get pressured by escaping from the enemy hunting you down. The whole idea of these types of horror games is to get you scared, and have to think of a way to escape the enemy. All I've experienced so far is run from a monster, cutscenes, and jump scares. I'm not impressed...
  41. Dec 30, 2015
    I bought this game more than a year ago, and after going somewhere more than half of the level of difficulty threw annoyed with the attitude that once I get back and finish.
    Of course, after all this time I could not remember anything so I decided to play from the beginning, then it turned out that I remember quite a lot. Unfortunately, each of remembered tricks to frighten me more irritated than scares
    Unfortunately, the game does not pass the test of time, only the visuals is good.
  42. Dec 12, 2015
    Outlast is a popular title of a game full of nope. It's not a "not scary, just takes you by surprise" kind of horror game -- It IS frikkin' scary. The environment of the game is suffocating and pressuring to the player. Outlast is one of those horror titles wherein you really feel everything about the situation.

PS: I still haven't finished it, scared af. Not so good without weapons really
  43. Nov 24, 2015
    Found-Footage Horror

Overall: 75% (82.8/110)

Atmosphere 9.2/10

Variety 6.8/10

Cost-Benefit Ratio 2/4
    System Requirements 1/1
  44. Nov 13, 2015
    Simply put - the greatest horror in a while.

Whilst the setting is cliche as all balls(asylum and human experiments), the plot is surprisingly intriguing for a horror game, and keeps you wishing for more as you progress. In fact, curiosity is one of the greatest tools that will help you push yourself through all of the tension and scares. And the scares you will get, believe me. The
    Simply put - the greatest horror in a while.

And the scares you will get, believe me. The game is perfectly balanced between jump scares and psychological horror, the onset and decline is comfortable and really does deliver. Not too much blatant scares, not too long/short tension periods. The only thing I'd wish is more bosses, but this is not a huge complain.

The graphics are good enough and the atmosphere is set really well. From dark gruesome wards to cold bloody labs - you will feel that you're really there. Kudos to level designers - they did it great.

A real strength of the game are it's sounds - voice acting, ambiance, screams - everything is fits perfectly and allows for more immersion.

This game leaves you wishing for more things like that, I wasn't disappointed.
  45. Nov 9, 2015
    Another horror game where you can only run and hide, Outlast doesn't do a whole lot that's new but it stands tall as a strong, polished game that's genuinely scary. Essentially Amnesia-style gameplay in a new setting, it's good-looking, well-designed and doesn't fall prey to many of the pitfalls that remove the horror from supposedly scary games - it knows when to use silence and emptinessAnother horror game where you can only run and hide, Outlast doesn't do a whole lot that's new but it stands tall as a strong, polished game that's genuinely scary. Essentially Amnesia-style gameplay in a new setting, it's good-looking, well-designed and doesn't fall prey to many of the pitfalls that remove the horror from supposedly scary games - it knows when to use silence and emptiness to full effect and doesn't ramp up the action as the game progresses, barring the weak ending.

Jump scares come often and can get predictable, and aren't the main strength of the game. It's the organic horror that comes from being stalked or looking for a hiding spot in a panic that really makes it memorable. The sheer gore and disturbing elements, including sexual overtones to the antagonists, are uniquely unnerving though they might alienate some players. Good horror doesn't need to be gruesome, after all.

Fairly short and with a very weak final act much less compelling than the rest of the game, it's not for everyone, but is fine fuel for those who love the unmatched rush of feeling genuinely afraid.
  46. Aug 23, 2015
    It's not bad game, but not so good either. It's not scary at all and it's too easy. Enemies are dumb and slow. Plot is quite interesting. Atmosphere was good for first hour. There are some cheap jumpscares, but not that much. It has amazing graphics for an indie game. You must admit it. This game looks really good.
  47. Aug 21, 2015
    What Outlast needed in order to shine was a bit of subtlety. A few shadows, maybe dead bodies after a long time creates anticipation. Having played Amnesia, I was a bit familiar with the mechanics. Hide from supernatural enemies and run. However, I wasn't too impressed by the protagonist here being so ridiculously helpless. A lot of times, the game just made me irk at the fact that I wasWhat Outlast needed in order to shine was a bit of subtlety. A few shadows, maybe dead bodies after a long time creates anticipation. Having played Amnesia, I was a bit familiar with the mechanics. Hide from supernatural enemies and run. However, I wasn't too impressed by the protagonist here being so ridiculously helpless. A lot of times, the game just made me irk at the fact that I was surrounded by all sorts of melee weapons but couldn't use any of them against my assailants which could be easily killed. Sometimes, the frustration was such, the player character dying made feel happy. I though if he was such a **** he deserved it. The game also had exaggerated too many dead bodies and horror elements to the point it eventually felt too common to be scary and eventually turned boring. It was just trying too hard and this ruined it for me. The camcorder was a nice touch, but I needed more. If you like horror stories, you'll find a bit of it here but nothing as good as Amnesia's. Overall, a good game, but nothing too special. If you like survival horror games, it's worth it, I suppose, otherwise, this might leave you frustrated and bored. Expand
  48. Jul 10, 2015
    To be clear, the game is not bad, but none better. It's full of scary phase but with time it will be very repetitive. Once you progress in the game you will see that you do not scare those who run just as you're frightened at first.
  49. Jul 2, 2015
    YES!!!! Now this is real game! The story is, in actuality, really dumb encompassing the usual experiment-gone-fail genre with obvious and usual cliches. Also, the AI has a pattern to it (like if an enemy is taking rounds and you have to evade it, you can do it very easily just by observing him) so it kind of takes out all the fun sometimes. I wish there was a bit "randomness" to it to makeYES!!!! Now this is real game! The story is, in actuality, really dumb encompassing the usual experiment-gone-fail genre with obvious and usual cliches. Also, the AI has a pattern to it (like if an enemy is taking rounds and you have to evade it, you can do it very easily just by observing him) so it kind of takes out all the fun sometimes. I wish there was a bit "randomness" to it to make the experience more unpredictable.

BUT... *drum rolls* the atmosphere, the music, the eerieness, the freaking jump-scares, the characters all help in producing a magnificent experience. The setting is so brilliantly designed (the sound work requires standing ovation) that I almost found myself looking behind me, instinctively. Even when I faced the monsters for like the 100th time, it still scared the living daylights out of me. And I don't even get this scared. This game knows how to scare you. And especially when you are vulnerable with no weapon to defend yourself with. The game gets more scary due to that.

Really dumb story-wise but an absolute masterpiece in execution.
  50. May 18, 2015
    It has all the elements of a chill-to-the-bone scare. It gives intense scares and thrills without overdoing it. The story in itself is quite interesting and captivating for a horror game, making you want to dwell even more in the depth of the Asylum.

The night-vision camera is an element that we have seen and dreaded in many horror films, but to have it implemented into a game in witch we have to handle it- that just make it 100% more terrifying.
    Hopefully they will make that sequel happen soon ( even if the story is not related to this one).
    Outlast has just set the bar for the modern day horror games.
  51. May 7, 2015
    Easily one of the best First Person Horror games to come out in a long long time, Gameplay is solid and atmosphere is terrifying Would say play it in the dark to make it much more terrifying overall a fantastic horror game
  52. Apr 11, 2015
    Wow! Never had that feeling since when I first played and finished Dead Space! Do not try to think of Outlast as a game, but rather as a roller coaster ride that will take you up and down, through light and darkness, and into fire and water... Sure some things may have been better (like seeing your own reflection through the mirror or being able to chunk a piece of 'that guy' yourself) butWow! Never had that feeling since when I first played and finished Dead Space! Do not try to think of Outlast as a game, but rather as a roller coaster ride that will take you up and down, through light and darkness, and into fire and water... Sure some things may have been better (like seeing your own reflection through the mirror or being able to chunk a piece of 'that guy' yourself) but still, the game catches you from the beginning and makes you come back for more. It's adrenalin and we know we like it :) Expand
  53. Mar 17, 2015
    Good scares but unrealistic game mechanics makes it frustrating.

1) You play as a reporter who doesn't knows how to PUSH so pretty every encounter with hostiles, u run like a rat and when u are trapped by the 3D physics, you are just dead 2) The scares from the tension is excellent and should be the type that is appropriate to this. Jump scares ARE NOT HORROR. Shocking people with
    Good scares but unrealistic game mechanics makes it frustrating.

2) The scares from the tension is excellent and should be the type that is appropriate to this. Jump scares ARE NOT HORROR. Shocking people with jump scares makes it really cheap especially after mid game when hostiles no longer scare u because storyline becomes banal.

3) Your missions are meant to direct a storyline, NOT to make your game increase MEANINGLESS playtime.
  54. Feb 12, 2015
    Not anything so unusual for a horror game with scary monsters, or should i say, decapitated human beings in the game, and jump scares. The game failed to create the horror atmosphere as it should be, but with some nice graphics, Outlast will keep you on the edge of your seats for some moments.
  55. Feb 8, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one game that doesn't shy away from breaking the idea of what most people these days think that a "horror" game should be, that's for sure. This isn't like Call of Duty or modern Resident Evil, with all the gun-blazing, balls to the wall action. No, in Outlast, you must use your wits to survive. You can't fight back, so your only chance of escaping those monsters is to run and hide. Think of this as a modern era version of Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

So here's the story. You play as Miles Upshur, a journalist. Miles receives a folder of reports based on experiments at Mount Massive Asylum, a psychiatric hospital in the mountains of Lake County, Colorado. Apparently an abandoned home for the mentally ill, it has been re-opened by Murkoff Corp. When Miles sneaks into the building, he's already shocked by the corpses of the staff. He also finds a dying SWAT officer who warns him to get out while he still can. But Miles decides to investigate further. He finds the patients, known as "Variants", who start going after him. There's especially a hulking sadist who grabs Miles and throws him off the edge of the 2nd floor. As Miles lies there, barely conscious, he meets a cult leader who goes by the name of Martin Archimbaud. This crazy coot tells Miles that he was sent by "God" to witness all the crazy **** that goes on there. So now, Miles is trapped, and he needs to find his way out of the asylum, all the while evading many Variants, including that big sack of **** that tried to kill Miles earlier, and two other cannibalistic maniacs.

One thing I didn't like about Amnesia, is that when you die, the enemy doesn't respawn from your last checkpoint. So if you want, you could just let the enemy catch up to you and cut you up. Then you could try again without the sense of horror that the bastard is still there. That doesn't happen here. In Outlast, enemies will respawn no matter how many times you die. I like that, it makes the game more challenging.

Some of the other features are that you have a camcorder that has a night vision function. Obviously, you're gonna be using this in places that are otherwise too dark. Your camera will use up battery power, but only when you're using night vision. Also, when you hold up your camera at certain parts of the game, notes related to that event will be written. You can also hide in lockers, sorta like hiding in closets and cabinets in Amnesia. Except that this time, instead of holding down the button to open the door, a single press of a button will get you in the locker at the snap of your fingers. That's another welcome upgrade. But what's more, is that you can also hide underneath most of the beds as well.

So if I think that this game is so awesome, why am I only giving it a 5/10? Mostly, it's because the ending sucks. I'm sorry, it just does. Apparently, there's this ghost that everybody calls The Walrider. (This is the God that Martin worships.) Miles is suppose to shut off a life support system to be rid of The Walrider. But upon shutting it down, Miles becomes possessed by the ghost. He staggers to the exit, but a security team shows up and shoots Miles to death, releasing the ghost so that it could wreak havoc some more. The end.

Still, this isn't such a bad game. If you've grown tired of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and you're not looking into buying the other "horror" games that look more like Call of Duty DLC rejects, I'd say pick this up.
  56. Jan 28, 2015
    I honestly do not have a bad thing to say about this game. Horror is by far my favorite of the video game genres but they are very rarely done correctly, or in the same manner rarely are they scary. This game had me scared, I literally jumped up out of my chair at one point. The game mechanics are simple but that is the beauty of this game because the fact that you have very little controlI honestly do not have a bad thing to say about this game. Horror is by far my favorite of the video game genres but they are very rarely done correctly, or in the same manner rarely are they scary. This game had me scared, I literally jumped up out of my chair at one point. The game mechanics are simple but that is the beauty of this game because the fact that you have very little control is what makes it so scary. It is also absolutely gorgeous. The details in the texture is phenomenal and the camera is a great touch. It really makes the mood ominous. I was engaged the entire time.

I read that some believe there is no story but I disagree whole heartedly. The story is there but you have to discern it from the context of the level as well as documents you pick up along the way. Usually document driven stories suck! I hate reading a million pages of boring crap that is some back story forced down our throats. But they did it just right, not too much reading as to take away from the game but just enough to get you curious as to what is really going on in the asylum.

I lied a little bit because I do have one negative. There are times when the "search for something" puzzle gets a bit repetitive. You run away from the same creatures in the same way then hide to wait for their patrol path to reset. But honestly the game itself is so engaging that it didn't really bother me. I give it a perfect 10.
  57. Jan 24, 2015
    If you don't feel shivers, anxiety and stress while playing this you have something wrong with you.. Beautifully paced, great scares and fantastic voice acting. Far superior to the other "big budget" horror games out there.
  58. Dec 21, 2014
    Scary,Disgusting and Thrilling game! this game is great from it's graphics to it's scary characters and story!
    It is really fun paying it but the only thing is that it's disgusting at first until you'll enjoy and scare the heck out of you! Outlast is great game to buy and play and you'll see how scary and disgusting this game really is.
  59. Dec 7, 2014
    Not as scary as I had hoped, but everything else surpassed my expectations! Aside from the occasional glitch or hiccup, Outlast is a horror masterpiece. It sets the gore bar higher than any other game I've seen. Graphics are sweet and optimization is great. It would've been nicer to have an easy option to disable the film grain effect that is present at all times. I use a mod that disablesNot as scary as I had hoped, but everything else surpassed my expectations! Aside from the occasional glitch or hiccup, Outlast is a horror masterpiece. It sets the gore bar higher than any other game I've seen. Graphics are sweet and optimization is great. It would've been nicer to have an easy option to disable the film grain effect that is present at all times. I use a mod that disables it and I must say it looks much nicer without the effect. It's sad to see that some people think its potential is wasted. I enjoyed it a lot, as well as Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Slender: The Arrival. The reason I said it wasn't as scary is because hiding from the crazies is too easy. They never thoroughly check lockers or under beds. I feel like there should've been a more challenging hiding system that affects the outcome. Anyone remember the hiding system in Manhunt 2 on Wii? Outlast should've adopted something similar, perhaps like keeping the mouse in line with something while some crazy a-hole is looking directly at you in pitch black areas. It never hurts to build on the stealth. Oh well. Great game either way. Expand
  60. Nov 6, 2014
    This is one of my favourite games off all times atm, I love this game, this game is scary, intense and brilliant. I love the story line, the gore from everything around you, to ripping peoples heads off and bursting them from their insides ... OMG!

I have one problem with this game ... Where is the second Outlast :D !!! Now there is something actual wrong with this game and it is the

I have one problem with this game ... Where is the second Outlast :D !!!

Now there is something actual wrong with this game and it is the hiding from everyone you don't have to go into lockers, you can move around them and also you can just run through the whole game! It has been done I have done it, it is just to easy to get hit once your health goes back up and you start running off again and the same thing happens again! But part from this... Brilliant!
  61. Oct 22, 2014
    Don't let anybody tell you Outlast isn't scary. They are lying to you. This is literally the scariest AAA game on the market. Stunning visuals and decent gameplay doesn't hurt the cause either.
  62. Oct 21, 2014
    Fantastic start, good visuals, pretty intense atmosphere, horror elements, twice I almost jumped out of my skin in shock, but then it slowly turns into a bad horror cliche fest and it gets boring quite quickly, most of the atmosphere is gone and all that is left is running in dark corridors, trying to not get killed by some monsters, it's hectic and tedious. It's also very linear whichFantastic start, good visuals, pretty intense atmosphere, horror elements, twice I almost jumped out of my skin in shock, but then it slowly turns into a bad horror cliche fest and it gets boring quite quickly, most of the atmosphere is gone and all that is left is running in dark corridors, trying to not get killed by some monsters, it's hectic and tedious. It's also very linear which doesn't help either and navigation can be pain sometimes. I was about to give this an average score, but without spoiling anything, the ending is really really good and improves the final impression at least 2 points up. 7/10 Expand
  63. Oct 19, 2014
    Possibly the scariest game I ever played in my life! The objectives can be a bit difficult, as you can be pursued by demons, ghosts, and other things.
  64. Oct 14, 2014
    If you're a fan of the horror survival genre like Amnesia and Penumbra, then I highly recommend this game to you. The graphics and controls are great and the environment is terrifying. Basically you're in an insane asylum that the patients are loose and you're trying to investigate and try to escape.
  65. Oct 11, 2014
    This is a solid survival horror game, with good production values, but, ultimately, it falls a bit flat on the storytelling and on the gameplay side of things, which is a shame.

You play as a journalist that received information from a whistle-blower about "wrong" things happening on some mental asylum, and decide to go in and investigate, bringing your camera along. Without spoiling, as you arrive to the huge facilities, the place seems deserted, and soon enough, as you would expect, you encounter some pretty gory and disturbing stuff and the sh** hits the fan. So, a very cliché setting.

The "horror" side of things is provided mostly with the atmosphere, the gore, and some jump scares (which are a bit predictable), nothing out of the ordinary. What is quite interesting here is the camera mechanics. You'll need your camera's night vision to navigate the numerous dark sections of the game, but also (and more importantly) you need the camera to record the events that you see. Only with your camera up will you be able to record your "notes" that you can read on the menu and provide some insight on what's going on. Problem is, using the camera, and night vision in particular, consumes batteries, and there's a limited supply of those around. Those notes and some scattered documents that you can search for throughout the game comprise most of the exposition you'll ever get.
    It sounded good, but, I felt that these documents and your "notes" are either a bit cryptic or otherwise not very informative or engaging. Also, you mostly encounter faceless zombie-like people, which you don't care much for. You'll also meet some characters, but there's hardly any dialogue or character development, and no cutscenes, which makes progression a matter of "do this, go there" where you don't have much agency or motivation other than because it's the way the game is. And basically you spend most of your time chasing after a character that seems to go out of his way to put obstacles between you or goes in the most bizarre labyrinthic path. I also found that the places you traverse along the way have little personality or "history", despite the potential of the setting and location. The setting and plot had much potential for more exploration of the characters, locations and stories.

Outside of that, the game mechanics involve stealth, trying to stay out of sight and earshot or hide so as to manoeuvre around enemies, while finding keys or other objects, or activating some things to be able to progress. As you're just a feeble journalist, you cannot do any fighting whatsoever. While in theory it sounds good and oppressive, because you have no way to distract an enemy, it boils down too much to trial and error, which ultimately is more frustrating than scary as you are caught and die over and over again. After the first encounters you'll quickly realise this and it rapidly goes from scary to frustrating.

Visually, it's very good, the visuals are very high quality with very good effects, especially the lighting system and your camera's night vision, which truly lend to a disturbing and scary atmosphere. There are multiple dark sections and the rainy sections on night vision are absolutely stellar. The sound is also on par, except that sometimes I found the positional audio a bit off, making it difficult to sneak around and understand the position of enemies with sound.

In closing, though the production values are there, I found the storytelling a poor and the gameplay quickly went from providing tension, fright and scares to frustration and annoyance over its trial and error nature.
  66. Sep 29, 2014
    A very enjoyable but short experience. I would recommend this game to people who like horror games, but it could definitely use a few improvements.

For me, the 'terror' and fear of taking a single step only lasted for about 30 minutes. I wish it had lasted longer. The enemies become a little too predictable and avoidable. After 30 minutes, it felt more like a stealth game than a horror game.

The story is predictable as well, and having multiple difficulties seems silly because there's no replay value to a 4-hour game based solely on story. I have no desire to play through it again. However, I never expected a thrilling story or replay value, so these things are fine for me. I wanted terror, but the intensity that replaces the terror was still pretty nice. You do not mess around with enemies, so running away becomes a very intense experience (except for a few stupid loopy areas where it seems more like dancing than running away).

Overall, I really enjoyed this game. It still left me hungry for a longer horror game, though. The environment and enemies are wonderful, and worming your way through the asylum is a lot of fun. However, at one point, while dangling from a ledge outside a window, I was overwhelmed thinking, "There's a drain pipe right there that would take me to the ground. Why can't I just climb down it and run away?"
  67. Sep 27, 2014
    The challenges presented in the game are a bit repetitive and usually they revolve around running from pretty much the same few monsters over and over again. The lack of puzzles makes the game too easy. And in summary it does not add anything knew to the fp survival horror that we haven't seen already on the Amnesia series.

However, the experience is still pretty horrendous. The

However, the experience is still pretty horrendous. The addition of a videocamera gives a lot to immersion, and the story of the asylum was interesting enough to make me search for every peace of data available.

Overall, this is a recommended game, and a must have for horror lovers.
  68. Sep 26, 2014
    Outlast is nightmare fuel in the tradition of Hellraiser or Silent Hill. The player alternates between sneaking past adversaries and panicked escape. Many jump-shock-horror moments.
  69. Sep 14, 2014
    Best game of 2013 I feel! The story feels great and had a lot of fun playing and watching! Pros and cons are, the game is very fun and the story feels so good its like watching a movie...
  70. Aug 31, 2014
    For the first hour, Outlast was genuinely terrifying. I was immersed in the rather spooky, if a bit cliché setting and tentatively moving forward, progressing at a snail's pace for fear of what was around the corner. But after that first hour or so, the linear level design and objectives begin to feel formulaic, with enemy chase scenes feeling overused to the point that one becomesFor the first hour, Outlast was genuinely terrifying. I was immersed in the rather spooky, if a bit cliché setting and tentatively moving forward, progressing at a snail's pace for fear of what was around the corner. But after that first hour or so, the linear level design and objectives begin to feel formulaic, with enemy chase scenes feeling overused to the point that one becomes slightly desensitised to the jump scares. The same could be said with the excessive blood and gore. I think Outlast could've been improved if it relied a little more on subtle scares and building suspense instead of the overt 'in your face' approach that the game takes throughout its entire length. That's not to say the game isn't somewhat scary. Outlast does it better than most, but it's hardly outstanding.

The story is unfortunately another weak point. To put it bluntly, it's uninspired, predictable and the ending is underwhelming to say the least. On the bright side, both the visuals and audio are of high quality, the core gameplay mechanics work decently, and your character controls smoothly.

Overall rating: 7.4/10
  71. Aug 26, 2014
    Outlast is one of the most thrilling games of this decade, maybe even the century. When I first got the game I started playing right away, with a full bladder (In future notice please use the restroom before playing game.) Originally it was praise to just be another indie game, with a few jump starters. The producers should have been telling everyone that they would have a heart pounding,Outlast is one of the most thrilling games of this decade, maybe even the century. When I first got the game I started playing right away, with a full bladder (In future notice please use the restroom before playing game.) Originally it was praise to just be another indie game, with a few jump starters. The producers should have been telling everyone that they would have a heart pounding, suspenseful, thrilling adventure.
    The eerie atmosphere creates a panic in the player, were this helps set the mood. With this and the dilemma that you character has to overcome, makes this gut wrenching for anybody brave enough or foolish enough to play. Given this has the classic jumps scare, it also has better tactics in scaring the player then most games; such as using slow movements, which many of the antagonists use. This may not seem scary, but when you have nothing to do but slowly watch your doom walk towards you it becomes twice as suspenseful. My personal favorite would have to be the profiles of the characters. As the player progresses through the game you slowly build profiles on all the enemies, and so when you come face to face to them the player is rattled to the bone because they know what is about to happen to them, by the hands of these psychos/antagonists.
    The story line was well written. For most games that have no story and just have guns, this game is a shining gem. Most horror/thriller games have some storyline, but rely on jump scares to keep you interested. This games story was so carefully thought through to keep you on your toes, and always asking for more (even though this game may give you heart attacks). It was designed to have the player have the most fun, and have the most thrills possible. It was noticed that at gaming conventions when people went into the booth to watch the trailer, they were known to blackout because it was so scary.
    Over all this game is worth for what it is, and maybe even more. This game is truly a gem for this generation of games.
  72. Aug 14, 2014
    I'm not a fan of the genre, but I know a good horror game when I see one. While most horror games rely on jump scares and nothing else, Outlast has that, and more. The visuals are good, and creeping through a pitch black room with your night vision camera dying out, and hearing a sudden noise, is as terrifying as it gets. However, like most horror games, Outlast doesn't have a lot ofI'm not a fan of the genre, but I know a good horror game when I see one. While most horror games rely on jump scares and nothing else, Outlast has that, and more. The visuals are good, and creeping through a pitch black room with your night vision camera dying out, and hearing a sudden noise, is as terrifying as it gets. However, like most horror games, Outlast doesn't have a lot of gameplay, which can make the game EXCRUCIATINGLY boring at some points. But, all things considered, this is a really good game, and one horror fans should check out. Expand
  73. Aug 6, 2014
    It is scary, it is enough hard, plot is "fine" not extremely good but fine, cool ending.
    The atmosphere is amazing and some of the foes really "unusual", graphics are cool.
    The idea that you should record main happenings with the camera (it's not compulsory but you must use the camera to see something in the dark) makes everything similar to be in a movie like rec or esp, it's simply a great Idea!.
    As other similar games, you cannot fight foes only try to run but especially you will find yourself hiding, but remember that if they see you hiding they will still get you (of course) .
    Second only to amnesia:the dark descent just for the lack of little puzzles (and because amnesia cannot be defeated ) :D .
    One of my best purchases. I probably will buy the dlc as soon as it is on sale!
    85/100 and a 9 on metacritic as a little gift for the unknown producer!
  74. Jul 16, 2014
    This is one of my favourite horror games of the last 10 years. I played this back on release and have since played through the main story 3 times despite me knowing where the scripted scares are the game still manages to get me on edge and scare me. The atmosphere is incredibly well crafted by the soundtrack and the great visuals, gore litters the asylum and so do inmates some who areThis is one of my favourite horror games of the last 10 years. I played this back on release and have since played through the main story 3 times despite me knowing where the scripted scares are the game still manages to get me on edge and scare me. The atmosphere is incredibly well crafted by the soundtrack and the great visuals, gore litters the asylum and so do inmates some who are hostile and some who aren't. The game does a fantastic job of bringing back the great horror games that we've been missing this past decade. Expand
  75. Jul 15, 2014
    Absolutely best horror game I have ever played (and I have played plenty of them). You will be terrified not because of jump-scares (even that there are), not because of gore and hideous "creatures" (even that there are), but because of the greatly designed environment of mental asylum supported by atmospheric ambient. The story is amazing and with the style of actual game-play providesAbsolutely best horror game I have ever played (and I have played plenty of them). You will be terrified not because of jump-scares (even that there are), not because of gore and hideous "creatures" (even that there are), but because of the greatly designed environment of mental asylum supported by atmospheric ambient. The story is amazing and with the style of actual game-play provides truly scary and adrenaline ride. Go for it, if you like to be scared when using bathroom at midnight. Expand
  76. Jun 30, 2014
    Catch the sound of some big scary guy in the next room and hastily find a hiding spot, then watch helplessly when he walks through the door and starts checking under the beds, praying he overlooks the one you crawled under. Even after the coast is clear the thought of crawling out and trying to slip past is nerve-wracking. Super creepy and super tense. Playing in the dark with headphonesCatch the sound of some big scary guy in the next room and hastily find a hiding spot, then watch helplessly when he walks through the door and starts checking under the beds, praying he overlooks the one you crawled under. Even after the coast is clear the thought of crawling out and trying to slip past is nerve-wracking. Super creepy and super tense. Playing in the dark with headphones and I swear my heart was going to stop a few times.

Good graphics and creepy sound effects create a really unsettling environment with night vision thrown in to make it worse. A classic horror movie soundtrack when you're being chased makes you hope you don't fall into that "trip on your shoelace at the worst possible moment" trope. Story line is a little cliche but not too bad.

I was never really into the survival horror genre. I got a free copy of Daylight, which turned out to be... just awful... but it made me go looking for something better and I definitely found it.
  77. Jun 23, 2014
    The game is dripping with atmosphere and is very immerse. I found my self on several occasions having to remind myself that it is just a game. The controls are easy and intuitive. The story is a bit cheesy but very fun. And the game has the wherewithal to end before it gets over done.
    All in all, a great game. If you have been waiting for a great horror game, this is it. Now that it is on Sale (YaY Steam Summer Sale) it is very much worth your time.
    Trust me; The first time you are chased by a monster, the sound of snarling and chains whipping behind you, with your heart racing and your muscles tensed, you will agree. (You can press "Q" or "E" to look behind you. But I couldn't bring myself to press it. I just wanted to get away.)
  78. Jun 17, 2014
    A game which can be used to define 'Survival Horror'. It did only take 7.5 hours to complete but the ride was like an intense G-force maximising, full loop-da-loop rollercoaster. A perfect nightmare, challenging your anal muscles to keep in the mess. Best £5.89 I have spent in a long while!
  79. Jun 16, 2014
    I often forgot this was a game. Outlast does such an amazing job of creating these unique identities for the handful of psychos stalking you in the asylum that it created this sense of realism I have not found in a game in a long time.
    I dodged this game for months thinking it would just be full of cheap jump scares, but it is not. It has a very detailed world to explore and a very solid story to unravel.
    It became apparent at some point that the developers were afraid the game was turning out to be too short and started stretching out the gameplay. This stretched gameplay is not bad quality, but serves to add a lot of question marks to your thought pattern when you reach them.
    My only real complaint would be the rare but over-used character models for the more common variants. Occasionally, I would come across a character that I would think was someone I had already encountered before, only to find out it was just another NPC using the same model, which would remind me that this is only a game quickly.
    Overall, this game scared its way into my favorite games list. Watching my little cousin jump so much during the first five minutes that I thought he was going to damage my system was worth the base price alone. I was sad to read that Whistleblower concludes the story.
  80. Jun 13, 2014
    This game was a really good horror title which reminded me of Nightmare House 2, graphics are beautifully insane and the story line is really good and the DLC explains a lot of the mysteries from the main game, overall an amazing experience!
  81. Jun 10, 2014
    I am torn, I want to rate this game highly but then I want to give it a low score just to seek revenge in some way as I haven't cacked my pants playing a game for years. Scary, great graphics, makes you reluctant to run anywhere apart from if you're being chased of course. It didn't help when I felt quite tense and my cat clawed my leg. Great game.
  82. Jun 7, 2014
    This is one of the best horror games I have played. Mind you, it is more like a walk (or run) through a haunted house than a game. There are no puzzles elements other than hunting for camcorder batteries, crawlspaces to squeeze through, or various objects like key cards and fuses to get you on your way. There is no combat. All you can do is run and hide.
    I have been bored by other
    I have been bored by other games in the genre with little to do but explore in the dark (Amnesia x2, Among the Sleep, Year Walk, Gone Home).
    Something is different about Outlast. The atmosphere. The sound design. The Lighting. It is just a great creepy experience. The characters themselves don't have the best graphics and animation, but look at the original Silent Hill. People eat that up and the graphics are horrible by today's standards. Outlast sets a mood and keeps it going.
    Sure you can play it on easy and take a lot of hits and just run through the whole thing. The check points are not far apart, so nobody is going to be frustrated by having to replay long passages. But if you are as careful and possible and play with an "I don't want to die" attitude, you will run for your life and your heart will pound as you hope you chose the right bed under which to hide.
    For a $20 indie game it is excellent. It is long enough to get to play through a few different environments with a few novel twist to the formula, but it isn't so long that it gets too repetitive and tedious.
    It is more like watching a movie than playing a video game. It reminds me of the final scene of The Shinning when Danny is running for his life from Jack, except you are Danny and you are running and hiding for your life. I don't think a game has ever gotten me so wound up that I can't play it anywhere near bedtime. It has been a long time since a game did that, as some of the Dead Space and Silent Hill games did.
  83. Jun 3, 2014
    Not so many games have this unique feel of atmosphere to them these days. Though the writing and characters are not that unique and experimental as the other aspects of the game suggest, this survival horror game has a well-designed flow and balanced gameplay, which is coherent with its story.

In my opinion the weakest part of the game is its writing, content and character designs, specifically its main antagonist whose appearance and nature makes an absolute flaw in the player's immersion in this hyper-realistic looking world.
  84. May 31, 2014
    The game together with the dlc makes a wonderful and incredibly spooky gaming experience. The plot is well made, the scary atmosphere is fantastic and the graphics is outstanding! At first I wasn't that happy with the ending, but the dlc took care of that problem!:)
  85. May 31, 2014
    So i got Outlast now. The start is very nice, the enviroment is beautiful and i get a creepy feeling. But thats it, really. The game itself is kinda.. boring? I've been around in Horror games since Silent Hill 1 on PS and this game is very cheap. "Made by veterans" That's alot of BS, or just very sad that you guys havent developed in the last years.

Its not scary, the first 20mins had

Its not scary, the first 20mins had me afraid and very interested but after that, i just started to laugh when i got chased and thought to myself "This game is so bad".

The AI is just idiotic. I ran from a guy and tried the same locker three times, and he caught me twice but after the third time he didnt see me apperently. There's no horror in the game. It's just jumpscares all the time.

Imagine you going into a fight with a guy and he from nowhere - punches you in the nutsack. It aint fair and it just feels lazy. I dont wanna be scared by a 15000db scream. I wanna have a scary and disgusting feeling that i wont survive at all - such as in Condemned for example.

This is more like: "find this" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

"find 3 levers" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADIHAuDHSIhdAuD

It gets alot unserious from a time, the enemies arent scary at all.
    And the whole scary asylum, blood on the wall "Run away, they will catch you" crazy doctor that is following you and all, really? This is 20th century.

I didnt complete the game, i played for around 2 hours, and i just couldnt take it serious. It feels so stupid. Like it was meant for idiotic morons like pewdiedee or 14years kid that cant handle real horror.
  86. May 27, 2014
    The developers of Outlast were smart in that they basically borrowed elements from different horror media to create an epic horror game that you won't soon forget.

A lot of Amnesia is borrowed in that you can't fight or do anything remotely offensive- it's just you and your ability to stay hidden. Fortunately, the *things* you're hiding from can't see in the dark. And, boy is there plenty of dark for you to hide in. As a matter of fact, without the night vision, this game would be altogether unplayable.

The atmosphere is one that is horrifying even when not much is going on and that's mainly due to the incredible sounds that keep the game going. There's a constant and relentless eery feeling that there's something right around the corner.

Now as for the story, I personally felt it could have been fleshed out a bit more, and I felt the ending to be a bit disappointing. But I don't want to spoil anything about the game, so I'll leave you to come to any conclusions yourself about that.

I'd recommend this game to ANYONE who's PC can handle it and would advise that you use headphones or your surround sound system (if playing on a TV) The game truly relies on the aforementioned atmospheric sounds to create a unique and unforgettable experience.
  87. May 25, 2014
    Good game, an actually good looking scary game, not many are like that. This game does not do a lot of cheap jump scares even though it has a few, the scares most comes from the environment it creates, it has so much tension that the first 2 or 3 hours of play will likely to be broken down into 40minute sessions so you can take a break in between.

The games main problem is that it loses

The games main problem is that it loses its scare about half way in, you are no longer as frightened and do not feel as vulnerable, because evading the enemy is not too difficult, and that a close up on an enemy's deformed face really loses the scare, because no matter how scary and menacing the enemy, it is not as scary as the unknown, the shadow, a sound etc...

But overall, a lot of fun and scares, especially considering that its a new studio and an indie game.
  88. May 23, 2014
    Overall a fantastic game. Great sound, graphics and atmosphere. I was creeped out from the start until the end. No game has had me this tense and actually made me jump before. My only grief (thus the 9) was that the "enemies" got a bit old and lost some tension because they were used so much. Other than that it was excellent.
  89. May 19, 2014
    A solid effort! If you like survival horror movies with all those cheap scares then you will really like this. Its not massively clever, but in terms of suspense this has it in spades. I would like to see the developers branch out a bit more into an interactive and psychological horror movie with a bit more immersion than just reading documents and taking videos. But over all this is aA solid effort! If you like survival horror movies with all those cheap scares then you will really like this. Its not massively clever, but in terms of suspense this has it in spades. I would like to see the developers branch out a bit more into an interactive and psychological horror movie with a bit more immersion than just reading documents and taking videos. But over all this is a good game that does a very good job at what it was made for. Expand
  90. May 13, 2014
    Absolutely the best horror game in a moment. The story is interesting and the jump-scares are not too scary. Survival feeling makes this game special and surprising. The best horror game in the moment but still 7/10. Only the story mode makes the game too small.
  91. May 10, 2014
    Outlast is one of the horror games that'll leave you on the edge of your seats as you frantically try to escape and hide from your pursuers.

Some commendable aspects of Outlast is its phenomenal sound engine and atmospherically well-detailed environment. Unfortunately, the game has some "problems" in many areas and one of them is its duration. My experience on the 'Normal' difficulty

Unfortunately, the game has some "problems" in many areas and one of them is its duration. My experience on the 'Normal' difficulty lasted for about 6 hours, and that can be quite dettering for people who are interested to pick this up (Price as of right now is 19.99 w/o any discounts).

Another "problem" is its horrible, asinine and abrupt ending...

Definitely worth picking up during a sale any time, any day. Awesome horror game!
  92. May 9, 2014
    An achievement in horror. Tops a lot of what passes off as horror these days (with the exception of the original Dead Space). Incredible setting and characters. You become immersed in the world. I can't wait to play games like this on the oculus rift..imagine that. Red Barrels knows horror. You think Saw, Amnesia, Bioshock Infinite were scary? Play this with the lights off and theAn achievement in horror. Tops a lot of what passes off as horror these days (with the exception of the original Dead Space). Incredible setting and characters. You become immersed in the world. I can't wait to play games like this on the oculus rift..imagine that. Red Barrels knows horror. You think Saw, Amnesia, Bioshock Infinite were scary? Play this with the lights off and the headphones turned up. Highly Recommended. Can't wait to see what else they cook up. Would be cool if we could get a physical edition of this and the dlc someday. Expand
  93. May 8, 2014
    this game is terrifying. it does so many things right in terms of giving you the best horror experience you can get, but fails in adding any variety to the games settings, and the story is interesting, but clichéd and starts to feel more and more unnecessary as the game progresses. but with all that being said it is one of a kind, you could compare the game's style and gameplay to Amnesiathis game is terrifying. it does so many things right in terms of giving you the best horror experience you can get, but fails in adding any variety to the games settings, and the story is interesting, but clichéd and starts to feel more and more unnecessary as the game progresses. but with all that being said it is one of a kind, you could compare the game's style and gameplay to Amnesia the Dark Descent, I like to think of Outlast as a modern day Amnesia with its own distinguished atmosphere. The thing I like the most about this game though is the camera, which is also similar to Amnesia's lantern in its use. you use the video camera to see in the dark using its nigh vision light thing just like you would see in a found footage film, and that's what makes this game so cool, because it makes you feel like you are in one of those movies. its a great touch that really makes outlast stand out as a creative and very scary horror game Expand
  94. May 6, 2014
    great game 11/10 would get my extremities cut off for another experience.
    Whistleblower dlc is also very very good 11/10 would scare.

only problem is it should be longer 10/10 much good.
    Much amaze.
  95. Apr 30, 2014
    Boring. not scary.
    But good graphic quality and bring the game to a new Neveau in chanre.
    Sensed his main purpose, "scaring" but not.
    Playful as well as by the atmosphere and the Geschihte the game is very boring and monotonous. The motivation to continue playing complete missing.
  96. Apr 28, 2014
    Got this game with no idea what it was or even what it was about. Looked scary and I was in the mood to scream plus had some friends watching the stream so I figured what the hell give it a shot. Not priced to high and considering it managed to keep me entertained up until the end means money well spent. Though there are some negative sides to this game. It manages to really get you goingGot this game with no idea what it was or even what it was about. Looked scary and I was in the mood to scream plus had some friends watching the stream so I figured what the hell give it a shot. Not priced to high and considering it managed to keep me entertained up until the end means money well spent. Though there are some negative sides to this game. It manages to really get you going early on, you will find yourself scared to adventure forward due to the unexpected. Though once you’ve managed to get about an hour in the scares start to get a little over the top and predictable. The game is by no means long, something like 4 hours from start to finish managed to beat it in a night. The ending is really quite pathetic but for a decently priced game I can’t complain.

Gameplay: This game brings something new to the table in terms of horror games that felt fresh. Only equipment in this game is your trusty camera which runs on your standard double a (AA) batteries. This adds a pretty fun element to the game as you are questioning if it is necessary at parts to use the night vision on your camera or just go HAM with your natural eyes. There are a number of pretty good scares and the game manages to keep you entertained up until the end. Though about half way through you will start to kind of get the hang of when things are going to go down and how to easily avoid trouble.

Graphics: Standard todays graphic’s, no complaints and felt refreshing and clean.

Overall this game is a mix for me, personally I found it was worth the price but it just wasn't all there. After a while it gets a little repetitive and the scares start to get old. Yet its worth a play if you are into the survival horror genre.
  97. Apr 17, 2014
    Outlast es un juego muy bueno. Desde el principio te sumerge a una atmósfera de terror. Junto con la música va creando un ambiente de horror que te lleva a concentrarte exclusivamente en el juego. Una vez hecho esto comienzan los sustos y espantos. Todo esto hace que en todo el juego estes alerta y atento. Simplemente genial. El principio, el desarrollo, el final. Digna de una obra maestra.
  98. Apr 14, 2014
    Great game for horror junkies like me; it's basically an interactive movie. Even though the story is a bit cliche, it's exactly what I expected, which was a fun, tense, and well made indie horror title.
  99. Apr 12, 2014
    Outlast has atmosphere of great horror and good storyline. The weak side of this game is unfortunately gameplay. It's very repeated - we still hiding in the cupboard and running, sometimes looking for the switchers, fuses and other stuff. Ending of the is also a bit disappointing, but the game is still worth playing, especially if you are horror fan.
  100. Sep 4, 2013
    Wasted potential. So much wasted potential.
    This game lures you in with some great graphics and a neat little camera gimmick. To be fair to the game the graphics are gorgeously rendered. The camera's Night Vision effect in particular is well done and it's nice to actually see Mile's hands when he actually performs an action.
    However, the experience starts to fall apart almost
    Wasted potential. So much wasted potential.

However, the experience starts to fall apart almost immediately. What's wrong with this game? Well where do I begin? For one, the setting. Asylums are seriously overplayed as horror settings. We get it, crazy people are scary. The so-called scares are predictable and hokey. The story is the same warmed over pap we've seen over and over and over and over and over again. An evil Mega Corporation has been performing unethical experiments that got completely out of control blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Mercernaries blah blah Ham fisted religious undertones blah. There's no mystery at all. Furthermore it falls into the exact same trap that the Dead Space games fell into. The graphic designers are so proud of their work on the monsters that they just can't bear to keep their babies in the dark, so they have the monsters prance around in plain view like they're so happy to be seen. Also, the poorly designed stealth mechanics make enemy encounters frustrating rather than scary.

I see that the game was heavily marketed as being "designed by veterans of some of the biggest franchises in history." This is a flaw as far as I can see. These veterans just kept on doing the same thing they've always done, and the result is that they did the same thing we've always done and the game falls into the same traps it always has. These developers could have learned so much from the Amnesia series since it's obvious that Outlast desperately wants to be Amnesia. The developers would have benefited from another playthrough.

1. Feb 21, 2014
    A game that is not as innovative as you would hope. It is very old school. Nevertheless, this is a real horror-game and we can guarantee that you will freak out. It may be old school, but it is still a very good game that will blow you away.
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    This is probably the most horrifying experience in videogames, ever!
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    On one side, you have linear gameplay, at times simplistic game design and plenty of clichés. On the other – an exciting opportunity to star in a very cool horror ‘movie’.