7.6

1. Jan 29, 2018
    First of all, I have been playing Monster Hunter since Tri came out. I have followed the series throughout the years and the series has only gotten better. Compared to the previous games MH World has completely revolutionized the Monster Hunter series. They have created an intricate ecosystem with competing monsters and countless ants crawling everywhere. I was expecting a bland, open mapFirst of all, I have been playing Monster Hunter since Tri came out. I have followed the series throughout the years and the series has only gotten better. Compared to the previous games MH World has completely revolutionized the Monster Hunter series. They have created an intricate ecosystem with competing monsters and countless ants crawling everywhere. I was expecting a bland, open map full of pretty bushes and some birds flying above. However, i was proved wrong, there are so many things! And you can abduct them and throw them in your home as well! The massive, polished map this game provides completely blew me away.

Throughout the series, combat has gotten more fluid (especially in MH Generations) but it always remained a little clunky. (Ignoring the fact that the controls are complete ass and you can't change them). Once you get used to the controls, the combat seems a lot more smooth, making it satisfying to land devastating combos on a massive wyvern yearning for your blood. The Great Sword, which used to feel kinda clunky is a lot more fluid, with multiple combos that flow well into each other, making feel bad ass after landing a fully charged combo on a monsters tail. The bow has changed as well. Although undermined by the newly added slinger, the bow still proves to be a fun weapon (noticed they made it more mobile and powerful). However, the guns are so boring, there is nothing special about them. They feel clunky, slow and under powered. Especially the heavy bow gun, been like this since the beginning. But this is just an opinion, you might take a liking to the bow gun.

For all you Monster Hunter fans out there, this is a must buy. However, for players that search for an immersive story that provides many hours of entertainment, you will be somewhat disappointed. The game's story is like an ocean that's one foot deep. When you open the game, you are kinda thrown into the story with barely any context and you chase some big dragon (won't reveal more than that). If story is what you are looking for, turn away. This game is mainly based on hunting monsters, not the story behind them.

Some players are saying that the combat is sluggish, weapons feel clunky, and it's for little kids??? For new players combat will definitely feel a little sluggish as you mindlessly spam two buttons for the first few hours. But you will soon discover that the combat is extremely complicated, providing a huge learning curve. Once you get the hang of these combos you will feel like a bad ass monster hunter. For some reason, I have been noticing reviews stating that the game is for little kids. I must admit, the game does have some weird Japanese **** that appeals to it's main fan base. But as soon as you have a monster eat you out like an Oreo you realize that this game ain't cute at all. This is real **** and your'e gonna piss your pants when you fight the final boss, trust me.

So far, I have been very impressed with the game. However, I have noticed, if you pay some attention, on the Xbox One the game is kinda blurry (thought I was going blind for a second). Not to much of an issue, only makes me more hyped for the PC version. You probably won't notice unless you look really hard as well. I still can't get over how bad the controls are. Hopefully they do something about that.

Biggest thing about this game is that they decided not to ruin the game with pay-to win content, loot boxes and cosmetic bull****. Gotta respect that decision. A company that actually listens to it's players.

TL;DR

Pros
    This game has massive, well-polished worlds.
    Complicated yet fluid combat.
    Scary monsters.
    NO LOOT CRATES!!!

Cons
    Controls are **** and you can't change them.
    Kinda blurry if you pay enough attention.
    A shallow story.

Game would be a 10, but the controls really killed it for me.
  2. Jan 27, 2018
    Amazing game, it feels just like past MH games with QOL modifications and an accesible early game for new players.
  3. Jan 26, 2018
    Very much a westernised monster hunter game. Some things are simplified a bit and most things remain unchanged. Still an amazing game(very pretty too) and for someone like me who adores boss fights, a game where almost every enemy is a boss fight is always perfect.
    There are those who will complain about a japanese title being changed to appeal to a western audience, but the game is still objectively amazing.
  4. Jan 26, 2018
    CHECK IT IF YOU'RE NEW TO THE SERIES AND WANT A DEEPER SUMMARY OF WHAT YOU'RE GETTING, WITH YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY.

For first i wanna say that, this is my first review ever on Metacritic. I created an acc just for this game. I'll be crystal clear with you from the start. YES the game is more simplified than the previous entries! YES there are a lot of conviniences in many categories.

I'll be crystal clear with you from the start. YES the game is more simplified than the previous entries! YES there are a lot of conviniences in many categories. But do those changes ruin the fun? NOT in a thousand years. Most of those conveniences make the game better and less tedious, like for example, do you remember the time when you were trying to get an Anjarath's pelt and the damn thing couldn't drop it? Now, after your first encounter with any monster, you unlock investigation quests with those monsters, where the BETTER materials drop after a successful hunt. So yeah, i can't understand from where all these 0 are coming from...

Now that i've put that aside, let's talk about the graphics and how the game performs. The locations are looking great! The new engine flatters both the monsters(which look BETTER THAN EVER) and their ecosystem as well, with nice touches. The armors look great and the weapon effects are just epic!
    As long as the performance goes. I'm playing on a normal PS4 and except of some minor fps drops, the game is 100% playable. Whoever is going to play on a pro, will enjoy it even more for sure.

Last i wanna talk about ALL the stuff, that weren't in the beta! And i wanna give a message to the newcomers who left the beta with a dissapointment in their hearts. So ''listen'' to me carefully. The beta had only ONE type of quest and that was the HUNTING quests. Also it had a few amount of weapons and armor. They never introduced you(and that's logical) all the things that make the MH series so freaking amazing. There are numerous types of quests that you can choose from! Hunting quests, Capture quests, Investigations, Gathering quests and much more. There is a HUB area where you can communicate with up to 16 players and play together(up to four players). There is a ''wiki'' IN the game which lets you see more and more info of the monsters you kill/capture in your hunts. There is a harvesting system. There are guilds and squads. I can talk for days of how LONG and DEEP are all the mechanics and systems. It has even a freaking ''story'' this time around with many cut scenes for keeping the new players even more interested. The gameplay plays smoothly and the animations were redone for this entry of MH in the current gen of consoles.

Verdict: I give it a STRONG 9/10 because of its great and improved mechanics, its huge content, its great graphics and for the FUN this game knows to give the best from everything else out there. I cut one point only for the slow start and its simplifying mechanics which i understand that they can make the veteran players feel a little ''betrayed''.

OH... Also... NO microtransactions man!
  5. Jan 26, 2018
    Monster Hunter World sets out to simulate a living and breathing ecosystem, and absolutely nails it. Monster Hunter hasn't felt this fresh since Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, and it does that by not only returning to it's hunting roots, but also expanding that concept in a way the fans of the series never thought possible. This game marks a turning of the tide in the series, and it will onlyMonster Hunter World sets out to simulate a living and breathing ecosystem, and absolutely nails it. Monster Hunter hasn't felt this fresh since Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, and it does that by not only returning to it's hunting roots, but also expanding that concept in a way the fans of the series never thought possible. This game marks a turning of the tide in the series, and it will only get better from here. Expand
  6. Jan 26, 2018
    Very nice game, good looking and very immersive.
    A little bit repetitive but that doesn't matter.
  7. Jan 27, 2018
    Don't let the troll reviews scare you away. They are not true MH players. The game is so much better now than it ever was. The controls and camera have never been better. Combat is extremely fun and rewarding. No fight will be like another, there is no set choreograph dance you have to perform
  8. Jan 26, 2018
    Good game. Don’t let these haters fool you. Only reason they are angry because they think Capcom has betrayed them by releasing Monster Hunter world on all platforms.
  9. Jan 26, 2018
    Stunning graphics, lore, music, this game is a completely win/win for us gamers at the start of 2018!!!
  10. Jan 26, 2018
    This is amazing! No more no less.. A huge step in right direction, thank you Capcom!
  11. Jan 26, 2018
    Amazing Game! Thank you Capcom! My favoutire game of the series finally on playstation platform!
  12. Jan 26, 2018
    First off, don't listen to the fanboys who are angry that they have to share this game now that is actually approachable. I've tried a few of the other MH games and allays found them needlessly complicated, unwelcoming to newcomers, and only fun for people without jobs and social lives. There is still plenty of depth in this game but it actually walks you through it for once. its aFirst off, don't listen to the fanboys who are angry that they have to share this game now that is actually approachable. I've tried a few of the other MH games and allays found them needlessly complicated, unwelcoming to newcomers, and only fun for people without jobs and social lives. There is still plenty of depth in this game but it actually walks you through it for once. its a fantastic streamlined version of a series I've allays wanted to like but never felt welcomed to do so. if you've been scared off by the other versions of this game i'd give this one a shot. Expand
  13. Jan 26, 2018
    Don’t let the so called MH veterans scare you off with their low ratings. This game is everything MH should have been in the past. The quirky flaws and design choices of previous titles are polished away, and as a result we have in our hands a gem of a modern video game that truly will captivate you. Graphics are fantastic, combat feels smooth and responsive, and the every system andDon’t let the so called MH veterans scare you off with their low ratings. This game is everything MH should have been in the past. The quirky flaws and design choices of previous titles are polished away, and as a result we have in our hands a gem of a modern video game that truly will captivate you. Graphics are fantastic, combat feels smooth and responsive, and the every system and mechanic seems meaningful and deep. The story is decent, and makes for a nice backdrop for the never ending hunt for bigger monsters and better loot. The sum of all the changes from previous MH titles gives the game a broader audience which, I think, is exactly what the developers wanted. Some veterans will complain, but I will argue that every change is for the better. The gameplay is very addicting, and if you are a fan of action games or rpgs you need to get in on this. If you are on the fence about this one - buy it! You will not regret it. See you on the hunting grounds! Expand
  14. Jan 26, 2018
    This game is really good,despite reading the game is casualized,this game appeals for the West to make it enjoyable,really fun on Co-op multiplayer and a long game with free content coming out and no microtransactions.
  15. Jan 26, 2018
    As a fan of the serie since the first PSP game, this is basically a dream that came true.
    Played the betas and started the game, i can say that this is the best Monster Hunter ever made, and probably the best game ever to share with friends.
  16. Jan 26, 2018
    After having fun with MHW for almost 20 hours, I decided to give it 9/10. It has beautiful visual/world, it has interesting story and characters, hundreds of hours of content easy, great combat design, I love the monster design, smooth online experience (you need to read the tutorials), and absolutely addicting to play.

I would've given perfect score if they didn't make me read that

I would've given perfect score if they didn't make me read that much of tutorials (the first hour is the most tedious thing, it's an RPG but still a lot of reading) and not having constant 60 fps on PS4 pro is a little outdated.

Other than those two, the game is absolutely worth every penny. I recommend this game to anyone who loves adventure game. Play with friends, build a guild or join one, and share your adventure to the world, these will double the fun and increased the value of the game by ten folds. Keep on hunting!

Don't forget, more free contents coming in the future update.
  17. Jan 26, 2018
    This the best game of the year. It’s so beautiful, all systems are polished and shortcuts are great. Animations are smooth and fluid and it’s so much fun that i don’t know what I’m doing here writing a review. I will go back to play now.
  18. Feb 3, 2018
    Seriously? This game does not have a pause button, when playing solo? I have a life you know. I dont wan to be a "slave of the game" until the hunt is over. I dont want to say "sorry honey I can not right now" or loose the game. This minor issue means I can play this game once or twice a month when I can really find several straight hours of time. But considering the length and complexitySeriously? This game does not have a pause button, when playing solo? I have a life you know. I dont wan to be a "slave of the game" until the hunt is over. I dont want to say "sorry honey I can not right now" or loose the game. This minor issue means I can play this game once or twice a month when I can really find several straight hours of time. But considering the length and complexity of the game it means I loose interest before I even get somehow further. Expand
  19. Jan 26, 2018
    I got drawn in by a friend and hype but wasn't worth it. A few missions in and I am already sick of the formula.

You run around and spam O to gather **** then you fight a monster that decides to run away from you all day. Its obnoxiously and sorely lacking in entertainment value. A ton of busy work in between fighting, and the busy work of constantly chasing something while you're fighting.

If MH is your jive then my review is meaningless but if you were never into this franchise it is highly unlikely that this game will win you over. The formula is exactly the same, except with slightly less clunky but definitely still clunky combat. If I could get a refund on PSN I would without a doubt.
  20. Jan 27, 2018
    The begining of game was pretty promising. But combat seems to bit a little odd and non-controllable. Well. Good game finished with second main quest. This game became stupid, repetiteve, unreallistic. Also this game HAVE NO PAUSE. So it xcould not be better than 6/10 anyway. But it seems to be MUCH worse.
  21. Jan 27, 2018
    Not amazing, just another grindy game.
    Sorry, but i cannot share the hype about it.
    After 5h gameplay, i am not flashed as all people here. Its quite good looking but the controls are not very great. It feels unaccurate. Even Dark Souls has a better control. I like the idea of hunting stuff, but why this game is now a new dawn in gameplay - thats a secret for me. Over all i dont think
    Not amazing, just another grindy game.
    Sorry, but i cannot share the hype about it.
    After 5h gameplay, i am not flashed as all people here.
    Over all i dont think it is bad but outstanding ? no...
  22. Jan 26, 2018
    While visually impressive and beautiful, this game is an insult to every veteran of Monster Hunter. The entire gameplay has been casualized and westernized so that your average newcomer in the West would be more likely to appreciate this game. Running around while healing, grappling hook as a crutch, the ability to re-position your hunter during attacks that previously locked you intoWhile visually impressive and beautiful, this game is an insult to every veteran of Monster Hunter. The entire gameplay has been casualized and westernized so that your average newcomer in the West would be more likely to appreciate this game. Running around while healing, grappling hook as a crutch, the ability to re-position your hunter during attacks that previously locked you into place, no more negative armor skills whatsoever.. I could go into great detail here and list many more, but the point is that Capcom simply went too far in their mission to reach a wider audience.
    Nevermind the fact that you can now simply craft the rarest materials such as gems and plates.
    We can only hope that Capcom will come back to their senses and develop proper, real Monster Hunter games again in the future.

Verdict: A big step forward in graphics, many smaller steps back in gameplay. Possibly the worst MH to date.
  23. Jan 26, 2018
    This game is trash, past games were amazing. This one sucks. Dumbed down version of Monster Hunter. Save the $60.
  24. Jan 26, 2018
    Changes adversely affect the core gameplay loop, betray core tenets of the series' signature gameplay, dumb down previously nuanced and engaging mechanics, and make the game even easier than the already cakewalk of a previous entry. Hot trash relying on graphics like every modern AAA. Monster Hunter was a fantastic series while it latest. RIP real monster hunter it was fun while it latest.
  25. Jun 18, 2018
    Nice graphics, I like the organic qualities of the art, and the movement/behavior of the creatures. The character styling and voice work are odd. However the combat system is quite challenging to get used to, and I was hoping for more of a free-ranging world; however this is a series of missions launching out from a hub. From what I hear it's much better with groups, but I have not enjoyedNice graphics, I like the organic qualities of the art, and the movement/behavior of the creatures. The character styling and voice work are odd. However the combat system is quite challenging to get used to, and I was hoping for more of a free-ranging world; however this is a series of missions launching out from a hub. From what I hear it's much better with groups, but I have not enjoyed it. Repetitive, nothing to hook me. I am also not a huge fan of crafting, which seems to be a large part of the game. Overall, I am wishing I could return it and am writing it off as one of my impulsive purchases of over-hyped games. Expand
  26. Jun 21, 2018
    It's a nice looking game. Cool RPG elements and combat, but there is something lacking so the game hasn't really grabbed me after 20 hours of game play. I still feel like I'm missing something. I generally enjoy the RPG grind, but the lack of instruction here makes this feel like I'm going nowhere. For the first time ever, I'm going to seek walk throughs and watch some YouTube vid's toIt's a nice looking game. Cool RPG elements and combat, but there is something lacking so the game hasn't really grabbed me after 20 hours of game play. I still feel like I'm missing something. I generally enjoy the RPG grind, but the lack of instruction here makes this feel like I'm going nowhere. For the first time ever, I'm going to seek walk throughs and watch some YouTube vid's to figure out what the whole point of this is. Expand
  27. Nov 4, 2018
    The game is amazing, if you're a fan of the monster hunter franchise this is by far the best Monster Hunter game in the series. The graphic is stunning, the map in the game is really well design but one of the thing that I wanted to complement the most is the new eco system in the game. Monster have different interaction with each other depending on the situation and it makes the gameThe game is amazing, if you're a fan of the monster hunter franchise this is by far the best Monster Hunter game in the series. The graphic is stunning, the map in the game is really well design but one of the thing that I wanted to complement the most is the new eco system in the game. Monster have different interaction with each other depending on the situation and it makes the game more lively as ever compare to the previous installation. Monster in the game is well design and there are variety of weapons classes to choose from depending on your play style. Character customization is pretty good and the game did really well into making the game world feels really submissive to the players, they are time where I loss track of how many hours just by playing the game.

The reason why this game didn't get a higher score from me is because the game tend to be very repetitive at times. Trying to get material for your higher classes armor could be a chore, there are times where you need to kill the same monsters over and over again just to hope it drop the materials you need in order to craft your desire weapon which could be really tiring for some people. In my case, there was a time where I had to fight the same elder dragon for no less then 15 times in order to get one of the missing crafting item I needed.

Overall it's a really good game but fall short in some of the department like the amount of monster had decrease compare to the previous game and could be a little too grindy for some of the newer players or causal players. All and all its a solid game and I give it a 8/10.
  28. Feb 14, 2018
    I bought Monster Hunter World purely based on hype without any previous experience in the series. Now, I've clocked around 50 hours so far, so you could say it's definitely been my money's worth.

In short: It's a good game, but nothing spectacular. The basic gameplay loop doesn't really connect with me and I find it a tad too repetitive and boring: (after dealing enough damage) the monsters ALWAYS run away, forcing you to ALWAYS pursue them. Repeat N times, until finally, it ends. Now, repeat again for the next hunt, and the next, and the next...

I understand why some (most?) people don't mind this and have fallen in love with the series; there is some variety in the way different weapons and monsters play, after all. That's what's kept me playing for so long. But it's a mixed bag and not for everyone.
  29. Nov 6, 2018
    i stopped playing after reaching HR 100 and might i say the journey there was fairly interesting, I have mixed feelings about this game as i am not too familiar with the series so i am seeing it from a new players perspective. The game is in short very grindy which is the appeal of the game as well as its multi weapon system that lets you choose any weapon of your choosing to mix up youri stopped playing after reaching HR 100 and might i say the journey there was fairly interesting, I have mixed feelings about this game as i am not too familiar with the series so i am seeing it from a new players perspective. The game is in short very grindy which is the appeal of the game as well as its multi weapon system that lets you choose any weapon of your choosing to mix up your play style. The game feels very multiplayer heavy, you can of course play by your own absolutely, but the fun is playing with your friends and taking down monsters as a team,that in itself is both a positive and a negative. while playing with friends it makes the monster a little more difficult to beat as it does synchronise with the amount of people in your group, but on its negative side you do all share deaths which means you will be punished for having a bad team member apart of your group. this also affects the matchmaking aspect as you can be paired up with very bad players and constantly fail quests which can leave you frustrated and wasting time,the 3-5 hours you may have free every day if you work a job may in fact feel pointless if for all that time you constantly fail quests because of the team you are put with making you feel as if you wasted all your free time achieving nothing.

The gear is also one of its let downs as well as the hub. The hub area made us believe that it is where players will be put to hang out as well as meet other players in the game much like a game lobby with random players, but unfortunately that wasnt the case, it is only for the specific party you are in and you can only be seen if you all choose to go to that area to meet up. The most 2 tragic things is possibly its gear, although the gear looks very beautiful and unique,there is always 1 or 2 gear sets that benefit a specific weapon so when you obtain the best gear you can expect the player you meet that use your weapon to have the same outfit you are using which makes us feel less unique,instead of giving us the choice to look however we wanted and still keep the stats on our gear the company used microtransactions where you can get cosmetics to give yourself a unique look without effecting your stats.This should have been a feature in the game as it has been in a feature in the series before it ive been told, this seems like something they used to exploit the fans and players and is very unfortunate to see. The last point is also about the grind and yes there is alot of grind to be done here,you will find yourself defeating the same monster over and over and over till you reach a point where you can read its every move ahead of time. one simple feature here should have been made so after you defeat the creature,whatever part you carve is the item obtained for example if you carve on the tail you get a tail material of the monster. i dont think carving at a monsters head 3 times and obtaining 3 tail pieces was a smart move to make, i do know the game is based on grinding but there has to be some reward that makes you feel good,even if it was made every 3 times you get to select a piece for your own as a reward regardless of what it is.

The game is not at all terrible and there is fun to be had here especially with friends, but its not something i can not downright say its a must buy for anyone,there is only a specific group of people that would enjoy this and that is very unfortunate.
  30. Jan 28, 2018
    Can't stop playing it for two days. Played the old MH on PSP. the graphic evolves so much! I have to say the reason I like playing this type of game is not because of intriguing story you would've expected as in other RPGs. It's really the gameplay that stands out. You have tons of fun trying out new weapons, each of which provides a distinct playing style and unique combos. Unlike otherCan't stop playing it for two days. Played the old MH on PSP. the graphic evolves so much! I have to say the reason I like playing this type of game is not because of intriguing story you would've expected as in other RPGs. It's really the gameplay that stands out. You have tons of fun trying out new weapons, each of which provides a distinct playing style and unique combos. Unlike other RPGs, you don't even have a levelling system. Your character becomes strong because of potions, weapon upgrades, strategies, and more. But even those things aren't crucial. What makes you stronger is the improving skills of yours. On this point, it's very like dark souls series.

Although this game has evolved many generations, but it remains its core. Many of the weapons, icons, monsters, they all form a unique system you would never see in other games. This is why I like Japanese made games, each one of this is unique, gameplay presides over stories and graphics. This is what games are really about, they should be more than just interactive movies.
  31. Mar 2, 2018
    As a newcomer to the series I can only comment on solely on this game and the experience I've had. and not with the direction or changes that has taken place in the series.

I'm very much on the fence with this game. Safe to say after some 20 hours I've put the game down to play other more interesting games. Firstly the good. +You get plenty of big monsters in this game to hunt and

Firstly the good.
    +You get plenty of big monsters in this game to hunt and the variety of them makes each one interesting, fun and different.

+ It seems simple enough, the game has a lot of features that focus on preparation. Most of these are pretty easy to get into and utilise and don't feel like a chore.

+ Visually the game is very pretty , with some lush environments. Each major monster is fairly distinctive visually.

+ Multiplayer works, even if the whole Matchmaker/interface is a bit of a chore. So teaming up and killing big monsters with friends is a plus.

+ there tonnes to do, beyond just killing the monsters. There is plenty of gathering, hunting and capturing quests as well as an arena and such. Which really fleshes out the game.

Now the bad,

- Hunting isn't as fun as the adverts. Its advertised as being a game that focus on tracking and preparation and exploiting weaknesses to maximise your effectiveness. Sadly thus far tracking and understanding monsters is basically finding tracks and spamming a button on them. you don't actually read or learn anything yourself. The game just becomes easier because you clicked on a track and gained XP.

- While its suppose to be fun and cool to have big lengthy boss fights with varying phases and gameplay. Monster Hunter doesn't really do that.... so far most monsters I've faced run away licking there wounds and can run a lot. then you hit them once take like 1% hp off and they run some more. Dragging the fight out into a massive game of hit and run. taking ridiculous amounts of time up for no reason.

- Controls are a bit clunky. and a lot of the weapons make combat and movement very slow.

- gets repetitive quick

- no fixed targeting/bad hit box means a lot of attack either miss or are hard to aim properly.

- some tutorials are non-existent such as how to capture monsters. Which makes whole components of the game unplayable unless you either spend ages figuring it out or use a unofficial guide.

overall a 7. it does some things really well but sadly the bad outweighs the good. This seemed like my cup of tea as a video game. As I love everything from Witcher to Final Fantasy/Dark Souls/SOTC and many games from similar genres/styles. But I've lost interest which means it wasn't good enough.
  32. Feb 5, 2018
    I had no prior experience with the monster hunter series. For me I am really enjoying the game. The story is very basic and yes the game isn't going to be for everybody, but I really enjoy the going out and hunting monsters then using what I gain from them to craft better gear. Each monster is unique with different attacks and you need to use strategy to figure out how to take the monsterI had no prior experience with the monster hunter series. For me I am really enjoying the game. The story is very basic and yes the game isn't going to be for everybody, but I really enjoy the going out and hunting monsters then using what I gain from them to craft better gear. Each monster is unique with different attacks and you need to use strategy to figure out how to take the monster out. To give an example, prior to hunting a certain monster you need to track it and gather information about it. Then as you prepare for battle you need to think about things like do I have any pieces of armor that may protect me from the certain types of attack this particular monster uses, do i have enough health potions, does the monster use poison and if so do I have antidotes made, what weapon will I use, do I want to focus on a specific type of damage, if I eat before what stats do I want buffed so I can select the appropriate meal, what side tools do I need such as do I want something that can stun a monster with a flash of light? Is it an area with lots of monsters where I may want a tool to drive off other monsters who may jump into the middle of the fight etc? Do i want to bring traps to make an attempt to capture the monster? You inventory that you take with you is limited space so its best to pack according to the particular hunt. What areas of the monster are weak points and what are they weak to? Is there a way to minimize the monster's special attacks via targeting certain areas of the monster's body or using specific attacks? What about the environment? Are there things that could collapse and catch us in the middle of battle? Is there nearby wildlife that will jump into the fight? Are there nearby plants or animals who if triggered in a fight will create issues? How can I use the environment against the monster? Then assuming I kill the monster and carve it up I take those components and see what I can make in terms of gear for the next monster and the cycle continues. Its incredibly addicting and there is sooo much more to it than just this very brief and vague description. The combat can feel a bit clunky but this is not a game for button mashing. This is a game where you pick your spots, where you observe your opponent and anticipate its moves and then strike when there is an opening to do damage. Almost every fight is a boss fight. Between the crafting, the looting, the gathering, the combat and all the quests its quite a bit of content and works well together. If you are on the fence about this game I'd recommend picking it up. If you do not have a long attention span and want a game you can finish in 30 hours then this is not the game for you. This is a game that requires a commitment to learn (the game only explains the very basics so you will need to go online and watch videos etc to really learn how to be the best with your chosen weapon- it most certainly is not game that will hold your hand but it does a decent job of providing the very basics to get started) and have your character grow with. I'm really enjoying my time with it and I was deeply hesitant at first. There is a ton of content for the value.Ignore the low scores of 0 or 2. Even if this game is not your cup of tea the game still deserves well above those scores. Its not a perfect game but it is very enjoyable and is a contender for one of the top games of 2018. Expand
  33. Jan 30, 2018
    Been playing a lot of previous MH especially MHP3rd and a lot MH3 and some MHX. The game is made simpler and easy to access every time the new one came out. I remembered when I 1st play MH2 where there even no indicator to pickup stuffs and very poor explaination. MHW is very much accessible and the complex fighting mechanics are still there and I pretty much enjoy it.
  34. Feb 12, 2018
    Very enjoyable game, had lots of fun playing, the amazing ecosystems and environments are cool the monster battles are epic.

- The negatives, no pause button was annoying even when playing solo, monster would leave the area after a certain time. - The Online play wasn't very enjoyable, having to send up SOS flares and wait for someone to join, Probably better with friends or

- The Online play wasn't very enjoyable, having to send up SOS flares and wait for someone to join, Probably better with friends or prearranged teams.
    -Bit repetitive and monsters would run or fly away too much.

Not for everyone but it does what it set out to do near perfect. 9/10
  35. Jan 29, 2018
    This game wasn't in my radar until the very last minute. I am happy to say has been a refreshing, wonderful and exciting game to play so far. There is so much to do and best of all, There.are.no.Micro.transactions.... so this means we can still have fun and enjoy a game greed free!! Cudos Capcom for a well done game !
  36. Feb 2, 2018
    A great Fantasy- hunting simulator with heaps of progression and gear to craft. Complex mechanics and every monster has its own unique set of abilities. Amazing story progression and artwork. Detailed monster bosses. Looses 1 Point for using a crappy Old engine bad monster hitboxes. Will be buying it again on PC for the ultimate experience. Must play game if you like ARPG , hack andA great Fantasy- hunting simulator with heaps of progression and gear to craft. Complex mechanics and every monster has its own unique set of abilities. Amazing story progression and artwork. Detailed monster bosses. Looses 1 Point for using a crappy Old engine bad monster hitboxes. Will be buying it again on PC for the ultimate experience. Must play game if you like ARPG , hack and slash or looter games. Expand
  37. Mar 19, 2018
    Firstly I need to say that I'm new to this franchise, so there is no comparisons involved in my impressions of this game.

I played this game a LOT for a couple of weeks (I'm talking hours each day) and had a lot of fun combined with a fair amount of frustration, FUN: The graphics are good - scenery is varied and beautiful and definitely adds to the enjoyment of the game, though

FUN: The graphics are good - scenery is varied and beautiful and definitely adds to the enjoyment of the game, though screenshots on my Pro show up the poor resolution. The monsters are pretty cool and well animated and in some cases spectacular. The sound/music is good enough. The variety of weapons, armour and their upgrade systems offer a lot of scope and I enjoyed the process of diving in and getting my head round them. Really enjoyed trying out different weapons and the diversity of game play style they offer. Playing co-op worked okay once I worked out the (admittedly annoying) steps required. Low tier monsters were challenging enough to be fun but manageable until the Anjanath hunt. Got my butt kicked many times (alone & co-op). Eventually an experienced MH & higher level friend helped me out and once I got some better gear I was able to progress without insurmountable difficulty, though the fun/frustration balance was steadily tipping in the wrong direction.

Arena fights make a welcome change out. I have seen other reviewers make a distinction between 'capture' quests and hunts but really they're all hunts, there's not enough difference to count them as a different activity. Side missions are 'collect things' or 'kill things' - usual fare.

Some non 'deal breaking' annoyances:
    - As a woman playing a female character I hated the ridiculous gear sets that had my character clacking around in bulky, ugly armour over stockings, suspenders and hideous high heeled shoes. Really pervy and utterly unattractive.
    - As many have said, the lack of other players visible in Astera is disappointing. Hardly anyone uses the Hub which is totally redundant.
    - Having to go through 2-3 lines of dialogue every time you interact with many of the vendors is a total yawn. In fact, the whole game feels bogged down with animations that may have been amusing the first few times (eating at the canteen springs to mind) but end up just being tedious, or in the case of sharpening your weapon, drinking potion etc in combat can get you killed when the monster decides to teleport from the other side of the area and land on you the second you start the animation,
    - not being able to see the full upgrade paths at first, especially given how much effort you have to invest in moving along a given path. I relied on the internet for this and a lot of other necessary information for this game which does detract from immersion
    - I got lost fairly often on hunts because of the verticality. The monster would suddenly relocate several times during in each hunt, which is a feature that I didn't mind except that too often the flying monsters would go to across the map, the scout flies would lose the trail and although I could see the monster on the map, getting there was like finding your way through a maze.
    - the story...what story?....it's minimal and entirely unaffecting,
    - the characters also are very minimal - I didn't care about any of them, including my own character
    - clipping through monsters, standing inside them even. Bizarre effect and not good enough for current standards

DEAL BREAKING FRUSTRATIONS (for me):
    Although I invested a fair bit of time in this game and did enjoy it up to a point, the level of grind and effort involved just wore me down in the end. I'm okay with grindy games (have played the Destiny & The Division for hundreds of hours) but the fact that each and every monster hunt is like a Big Boss fight, particularly once you're in the high tier, made it feel too much like hard work. Too often there would be one item that I needed to complete the weapon upgrade or craft the piece of armour I needed that would have something like a 1% drop rate that would require grinding that same monster for hours...& hours....& hours. The tedium of that is very much compounded by the game mechanic that you have 3 faints allowed per hunt for the whole team, so many MANY hunts would end, sometimes after 45+ minutes of huge effort, with absolutely nothing to show for it and very much stretching out the length of grind required to get that elusive drop.

I got as far as the final dragons but just ran out of steam, and interest. Fundamentally, this game is very unforgiving. I imagine that if you're playing with friends that would help tip the grind/fun balance a lot. Playing as a solo player in random teams was not so fun once it started getting really challenging.

Good game, but not a GREAT game - I can't see how it can justify all these 10's. Enjoyment is subjective, I get that, but there are some issues with this game that have to be taken into account when scoring. Grinding & difficulty level aside, it's not perfect.
  38. Aug 15, 2018
    If you're a fan of the old MH Series then this is for you and if you're completely new to the series this a great start. There is a learning curve which could take you a couple of missions at the start of the game but once you're on top of everything its actually quite an enjoyable adventure. Monster designs is exceptional and so is the character building, improvements and worldIf you're a fan of the old MH Series then this is for you and if you're completely new to the series this a great start. There is a learning curve which could take you a couple of missions at the start of the game but once you're on top of everything its actually quite an enjoyable adventure. Monster designs is exceptional and so is the character building, improvements and world exploration. The game promotes online coop play heavily which could turn away some gamers but you also have a solo campaign from start to finish you just need to configure it right. Expand
  39. Jan 27, 2018
    Monster Hunter World is a good game, there is no denying there is a deep and rich world to explore and hunt in, however there are some very glaring issues that unfortunately distract heavily from the monster hunting experience and which prevent it, in my opinion from being worthy of 8+ rating.

First and foremost is the games tutorials are not in-depth enough, many game mechanics are not explained in enough detail, or simply not explained at all. Another major issue lies with the janky controls, especially noticeable with weapons like the greatsword or anything that has a slow attack, get used to swinging wildly and missing especially with new players until you get more of a feel for the attack and combo system which can make the game frustrating for new players.

The level of frustration MHW can bring rivals that of the Dark Soul series, you'll die - - a lot, sometimes it is the fault of the player for simply not being prepared, other times you'll die in a very BS fashion such as an APEX level monster appearing during your hunt and catching you unaware and one shotting you, during a hunt - a million things could go wrong, especially if you are not equipped properly.

Glitches and bugs luckily so far, are minimal but I've noticed multiple FPS drops on vanilla PS4s, another issue I've personally found is the targetting constantly unlocking from your target forcing you to constantly re-lock onto your target, this aspect gets annoying - another problem is related to the tracking flies not tracking properly, or disappearing and not following the target, especially during large monster hunts where it seems to get confused.

The gameworld is rich, with a intense level of detail right down to ants sometimes walking around - there are many item sets to collect, many weapons to master and enough content to keep everyone happy, whether you prefer playing solo and co-op, there is something for you here.
  40. Jan 30, 2018
    Awesome game.

MHW has addicting game-play with a well implemented crafting system. Your character progression is achieved through your own ability getting better, learning the monsters, and upgrading your gear. This all makes for a very rewarding experience. The bad - Matchmaking and getting your friends to play with you is pretty clunky. I feel like this shouldn't be an issue in
    Awesome game.

The bad - Matchmaking and getting your friends to play with you is pretty clunky. I feel like this shouldn't be an issue in 2018, but for some reason it is.

Overall 8.5, but since we don't have that option on the scale I'll round up to a 9.
  41. Jan 27, 2018
    Monster Hunter World is amazing, easily one of the best games of this generation in my opinion. From the addictive gameplay to the great graphics, this is easily the best MH game to date. The multiplayer is the best thing in this game, I did not face any connectivity issues to mention. Though it can get a bit confusing sometimes especially when trying to join a friend in Expedition modeMonster Hunter World is amazing, easily one of the best games of this generation in my opinion. From the addictive gameplay to the great graphics, this is easily the best MH game to date. The multiplayer is the best thing in this game, I did not face any connectivity issues to mention. Though it can get a bit confusing sometimes especially when trying to join a friend in Expedition mode but I think it will be solved in the future. 9/10. Expand
  42. Jan 30, 2018
    I have been playing monster hunter since the PS2 and PSP era. Didn't play all of them because I don't really like to play blurry Monster Hunter on 3DS. I have been enjoying the series. I have played at least hundreds of hours and even over a thousand hours on PSP MH:3G as I was still a student then and kept hunting with fellow hunters in Cafes and McDonald. The most recent one I playedI have been playing monster hunter since the PS2 and PSP era. Didn't play all of them because I don't really like to play blurry Monster Hunter on 3DS. I have been enjoying the series. I have played at least hundreds of hours and even over a thousand hours on PSP MH:3G as I was still a student then and kept hunting with fellow hunters in Cafes and McDonald. The most recent one I played was MH:XX on switch. It was great, I enjoyed it. I can see that CAPCOM have been putting effort trying to implement new monsters, new maps, new weapons, new systems. The style and the skill system I experienced in MH:XX was like a big wow to me. It was not the best and some aspects might be imbalanced. But I really appreciated the possibility of experimenting on different play style. The armor set, style, skills and weapons combinations have so many variations. Of course I understand at the end there are a few combinations that works very well and you can see all the "clones" online.

The point I am trying to make is MHW seems like taking a step back for me. Don't take me wrong, I love the game. The environment looks gorgeous and interactive. There are a lot of new dragons to be hunted. The hunter is more agile and the animations are smooth. The there is a weapon tree for weapon upgrades and can be down graded. What I really don't like is stripping out the style system. Now I can't see those weird build like aerial lancer anymore. Not mention the armors are not as cool looking as before in my opinion ....
    The game is easier in general with new tracking system and hunter is able to cancel potion drinking. I believe this is more friendly to new comers and I don't really mind if a game is easy to learn but with high skill cap. Despite the monster tracking system, I don't like the item tracking system. The fireflies making stuff glows kind of makes me feel like I am a retard. I mean people will learn where items are in time, there is no need highlight them like that. I guess the foot prints are hard to spot so I am fine with that.
    For those people who complained about grinding or being repetitive, you can inhale my D___. I play monster hunter because it is fun to hunt dragons with friends. Monster Hunter series were known to be repetitive, there are endless dragons for hunters to hunt. Most missions can be done over and over again. I can say the same thing to whole lot of the games. CoD and Battlefield are just shoot shoot shoot , you die , you respawn , shoot shoot shoot again. Mario are like you run , you jump , collect starts/suns/moons. Winnings and FIFA are 2 teams chasing and kicking the ball. DotA and LOL are 2 teams killing each other and destroying towers every game.
    If you don't find the repetitive part of the game fun, you can walk away but please don't trash talk in the reviews. Games I mentioned above are fun because of the repetitive part is fun. Players can have fun over and over again with or without friends. I simply can't believe how stubborn people is to say grinding and repetitive as cons in review. Just imagine every mission can only be done once. Also every dragon can only be killed once and they are gone forever. Just unbelievable.
  43. Jan 29, 2018
    For be best Monster Hunter is MH4U, but not with better graphics, quicker mechanics and massive content finally for Home Consoles, it's just a dream come true.
    Yes it is easier then good old MH. Yes it does not have G-rank unfortunately. But it's still Monster Hunter, bigger, better and more awesome. Here it goes another few hundreds hours of my life ...
  44. Jan 29, 2018
    I have to give the game a 9 because, as previously stated by another review, the game lacks joining in a friend's mission unless you're in the same Game Session or they shoot an SOS flare. Other than that, for the people that felt combat was clunky, Dark Souls III was clunky when I first started until I figured out the combat system. There is a reason there is a lot of 9s and 10s, most ofI have to give the game a 9 because, as previously stated by another review, the game lacks joining in a friend's mission unless you're in the same Game Session or they shoot an SOS flare. Other than that, for the people that felt combat was clunky, Dark Souls III was clunky when I first started until I figured out the combat system. There is a reason there is a lot of 9s and 10s, most of those are people that have played the game before. If you're new to the game then you probably should wait more than 24 hours to give the game a fair assessment. There are decision points when to do that powerful combo or when to hold back. The grind of this game is far superior than any other game. The labor matches the reward. The other thing I'm extremely fond of is the idea that I take this weapon and I make decision points I can't take back to progress my gear through a massive tech tree. But the game is also forgiving in that sense, I can always create the first weapon of the tech tree and make new decisions and have a completely different outcome. I think all newcomers to the Monster Hunter genre need to take a step back and fully digest the game instead of making an assessment after 24 to 48 hours, you have a lot of catching up to do. For the veterans that gave this game a 0, also step back from your elitist ways and think about the evolution of gaming. Walking and drinking or eating is a real life thing people can do, why not make that part of the game itself instead of keeping a game in a box that was created over 15 years ago. Also if you haven't made it past HR 8 when you made this assessment you probably should double back on it and fight some of the latter monsters the game has to offer, fights get pretty intense when fighting one monster and another monster appears well above your current gear level. Same thing for scout flies, I like that when I progress up and hunt the monster several times it gets easier with the scout flies, so what if they show you plants and other items, if you think the game is calling you dumb then you need to go to your bathroom mirror and tell yourself that not everything is about you and to stop taking things so personal. I hope this game continues to draw in a large crowd, I'm tired of games that never have purposeful endgame in sight. I could seriously see this game holding my attention for a very long time. I've had a very hard time not getting distracted with building more gear over progressing story. Expand
  45. Feb 6, 2018
    I knew next to nothing of this franchise before World and nearly 2 weeks in I have over 110hrs on my hunter and counting. Gameplay is addictive, combat is satisfying, graphics are well executed. I hope they make many more Monster Hunter games on console in the future. World is a clear 10/10 game for me.
  46. Feb 6, 2018
    Very fun. The annoying things are endless tutorials and the backward way to play with friends. The story is nothing to brag about but each time I think it's about to end, they continue onward with changes to how gear works. I find the formula, while repetitive, to be enjoyable--feels like Dark Souls, kinda clunky but endless boss fights. Each weapon has it's own play style so if you everVery fun. The annoying things are endless tutorials and the backward way to play with friends. The story is nothing to brag about but each time I think it's about to end, they continue onward with changes to how gear works. I find the formula, while repetitive, to be enjoyable--feels like Dark Souls, kinda clunky but endless boss fights. Each weapon has it's own play style so if you ever get bored try equipping a different one. Expand
  47. Feb 10, 2018
    First and Foremost, this game is really fun. So if you're looking for a great game to play for a while, I'd recommend this. It certainly has some shortcomings (annoyingly stupid co-op system, a couple terrible missions and some technical issues) but it is certainly worth giving a shot if you are interested.
  48. Feb 12, 2018
    So much to see and so much to do. It takes a little getting used to (haven't played any other MH game).
    I can see why some say it's boring/not okay. The first few hours it was well horrible and frustrating. Mainly because there are so many possibilities and so much info. Your brain is flooded (when you are not familiar with MH) and it is easy to give up then. However when you finally see the link between things, the expeditions, investigations, arena and finally get how you can team up the game becomes a lot bigger. There are so many details. The fighting feels not smooth in the beginning. I picked two short-blades. Fun but I got mowed down constantly and just having two buttons really annoyed me. It felt slow. Then again, it's something you have to get used to. I haven't played anything like this before - as in I have seen many aspects in other games, it feels like they combined everything in this game. I love it!
  49. Feb 12, 2018
    This game is amazing do not believe anyone who says otherwise, I have been playing since the first game and gotta say this is the best one yet, those who say its bad complain about the gameplay are clearly new and test games do have a learning curve once you learn it you'll love this game
  50. Jan 30, 2018
    This gets a 9 from me because the graphics and realism of the game have taken a leap forward here. Also, because it's a Monster Hunter game, and is the best series of games I have played. Now I will proceed to gripe about what should have been better.

1)My favorite way to play the game is solo. I hate that online play is pushed and shoved down my throat. 2)The "story" is weak and the characters are uninteresting. 3)The worst disappointment is the open world. Yes, it's bigger, and more visually satisfying, and there are more nooks and crannys to explore, but this game IMO is not a true open world game. You cannot go anywhere you like. Essentially this is the old system of areas, but the areas are bigger and more detailed. The areas are still numbered, and you still have boundaries around each one. The difference is that you don't cut from one area to another. You have to actually walk or run from one to the other. An open world game to me means that if you see a location on the map that is inside the map you should be able to go there, and that isn't true here. There are points that cannot be climbed or descended, so you can't get just anywhere you care to go.

All the complaints aside Monster Hunter is the best video game franchise I have played, and nothing has been done to put a dent in that. The endless number of collectibles, and the complexity and strategy around how to attack the monsters is still there, and presents an engaging challenge. There are some improvements too. I love the loadouts in the menu system. It's terrific to be able to create a loadout, so that I don't have to re-think each quest's provisions.

I guess one good thing about the poorly executed open world is that it give the franchise somewhere to go for the next entry.
  51. Jan 29, 2018
    The time investment is totally worth it. Don’t be afraid to Dive in! It’s all about the journey and discovery. I absolutely fell in love with this game.

This is not a scripted paint by numbers like Destiny. This is expansive and exploratory with cut scenes that don’t get old even though they repeat. Amazing JRPG. Toned down just enough for new audience to be able to enjoy while keeping the core MH fans happy. Great Job Capcom. Also I don’t feel like I’m going to blow through this like Destiny 2.
  52. Jan 30, 2018
    As a veteran MH player (playing since PSP versions), I think the game is great and I had huge expectations. They made better the use of all weapons, having the chance of watching monsters and gear on great graphics, interaction with the environment, capturing little pets and having the chance to put them in your house, etc... are really great stuff.

MH has always being clunky with the

MH has always being clunky with the PVP, but in every game they try to make it more fun or useful which is something that is appreciated from capcom. In this game is confusing but it is not bad at all... just need some adjustments. I don't get the 16 ppl room if you can only go to quests with 4 of them.

The only thing that I am disappointed at, is that the game feels so easy than in the previous games. I remember just getting all the types of healing potions and debuff stuff... now I just leave with 10 potions, 10 mega potions and I don't even use them.

Overall the game is perfect for MH veterans because it brings lots of new stuff for us, gameplay is the same that we love with major adjustments, but for new ppl I feel is just another game.
  53. Jan 29, 2018
    Hey. This game's pretty neat. I personally get a kick out of Monster Hunter's gameplay loop. Not for everyone, some may find it too grindy. The story is nonexistent, but still an improvement over previous entries (They're not really even trying). The changes made have clearly been divisive, but come on. It's more than an exaggeration to say that Capcom has watered down or ruined theHey. This game's pretty neat. I personally get a kick out of Monster Hunter's gameplay loop. Not for everyone, some may find it too grindy. The story is nonexistent, but still an improvement over previous entries (They're not really even trying). The changes made have clearly been divisive, but come on. It's more than an exaggeration to say that Capcom has watered down or ruined the Monster Hunter experience. I myself like the changes. A lot. People are resistant to change, and that's understandable. The game looks and plays much better than any other Monster Hunter. Not really that much more accessible to newcomers, nice try Capcom. Monsters are astoundingly well designed, and so are the environments. Only time will tell if the end-game is up to snuff, but so far so good. If you've never touched a Monster Hunter game before, the odds of you liking it are pretty much just as up in the air as they were before this one. If you do drop $60 on it, I hope you enjoy it, 'cause I sure do. Have fun. Expand
  54. Jan 30, 2018
    Phenomenal title. The game marries exploration, item crafting, hunts and boss battles in only the satisfying way that Monster Hunter can do. World gets rid of a lot of the smaller item crafting in favour of more armour and weapon sets, and while you have your palico to hunt with you, all the micromanaging of skills and abilities has been removed in favour of focusing on the story andPhenomenal title. The game marries exploration, item crafting, hunts and boss battles in only the satisfying way that Monster Hunter can do. World gets rid of a lot of the smaller item crafting in favour of more armour and weapon sets, and while you have your palico to hunt with you, all the micromanaging of skills and abilities has been removed in favour of focusing on the story and multiplayer combat. As a longtime fan of the Monster Hunter series, I highly recommend World. It can be a little daunting for first-time players, but if you go through all the tutorials, spend time to find the weapon you like best, and get to know how the different quest hubs work, you're going to really enjoy it. Expand
  55. Mar 13, 2018
    The very first Monster Hunter game was released on the PS2 (2004). It was a beloved game and the developers continued to make more series that turned into a great franchise. Monster Hunter is the definition of "pride and accomplishment" when you capture or slay a monster. However, the series seems to be in its shadow because not a lot of people have ever heard or talked about MonsterThe very first Monster Hunter game was released on the PS2 (2004). It was a beloved game and the developers continued to make more series that turned into a great franchise. Monster Hunter is the definition of "pride and accomplishment" when you capture or slay a monster. However, the series seems to be in its shadow because not a lot of people have ever heard or talked about Monster Hunter. As time went by, the developers tried its hardest to get people to notice the series, but it never worked since their launch with Nintendo. They released one of their series on the Wii U and 3DS for Westerners to try, but it did not succeed as the developer hoped for because not a lot of people were talking about it. Jump into 2017, and the developers took a great big step forward to reveal the new Monster Hunter World to the current gen consoles and it finally got the audience’s attention. If you love grinding with no money grabbing practices, then this is the game for you.

60 hours into the game which makes it eligible for me to write this review. I will sort out different sections about gameplay, story, and visual. In that case, here is my review of Monster Hunter World.

Gameplay: While playing Monster Hunter World, I think the developers did a great job throwing in-depth tutorial screens because there will be players who are new to the franchise by explaining how to play, craft, progress, and upgrade. I must give props to Monster Hunter by releasing YouTube videos and explaining each of the different weapon types before release. In addition, to letting players have access and test out all the different weapon types at the training room that includes combo instructions. I was impressed with all the weapon types because they are all unique in their own way. The crafting system is simple and not overwhelming. I liked Palicoe AI system to be as your sidekick. I personally like the different kinds of gadgets they have to help you on the hunt, but sometimes they don’t respond if you want to manually activate their gadget, so the majority of the time you’ll be spamming to activate it. Monster Hunter World also allows you to go on an expedition, which makes the player explore around and fight monsters with no time limit. The online session is responsive. In addition, you could also have the option to enjoy the game in solo mode. If internet connection not your thing, then you could play it offline. Is it fun playing alone? Of course! Is it fun playing online with friends? Absolutely! Mounting a monster always satisfies me.

Story: There was only one minor flaw that I would address, but that shouldn't be a big deal which is the lip syncing during a cutscene. Overall, the story is a bit engaging at least for me. I will not spoil the game for you if you want to be surprised by every monster you encounter, but I will say that I personally enjoy all cutscenes that I came across because the majority of them just makes your character look like a badass.

Visual: The atmosphere and the environment are just gorgeous. I was stunned by the beautiful ecosystem and looking at what's around me. Everyone at the hub area matters and they have their own personalities. You will enjoy every cutscene you encounter because the majority of them just makes your character look like a badass. I personally cannot get enough on how adorable the Palicoes are. You too will adore them once you take them out on a quest or an expedition. In addition, the Canteen cutscene is just enjoyable to see as you watch the Palicoes cook you a big meal before your hunt. Note: You will constantly be visiting to the Canteen before your hunt because for new players it is a way to upgrade your stats.

Conclusion: This game deserves a 9/10. It would’ve been a perfect 10 if they made a more compelling story, but I enjoyed playing this game. It can be complex but that should never be a reason why players hate the game. The only thing newcomers should hate or complain about is the repetitiveness, the constant chases, and the combat. If those are the reasons, then I assure you that is not the case. Don't expect it to be like Dark Souls or Bloodborne because Monster Hunter handles it very differently. They may have similarities at some levels, but this is a grinding RPG game, so you are expected to be going back to the same monster to gather more material to craft better weapons, armor, or charm. If you don't like the grinding or RPG then this game is not for you. If you are interested in it and willing to put the time and effort, then this is the game for you. This is my first review and I want to thank you for your time reading this in-depth review.

Other triple AAA companies should take notes when they are making an RPG game *cough* Bungie....EA.
  56. Jan 28, 2018
    It is my first seris of the monster hunter game and had some worries before buying this game. As soon as i hunted a first boss monster with my friends, my worries were already gone and a special feeling excited me which the game industry nowadays have been failing to make me feel that way. This game is a must buy game if you want to feel becoming better, overcome difficulties and great achivement.
  57. Jan 29, 2018
    I have tried getting into Monster hunter before, but it never really clicked for me. That is untill I decided to give Monster hunter world a try. Boy was I glad that I did. The game is more accessible than ever, and you don't get cramps in your fingers due to playing on a 3DS. No, Monster hunter world feels at home on the playstation 4. Don't miss out on this game if you like hunting andI have tried getting into Monster hunter before, but it never really clicked for me. That is untill I decided to give Monster hunter world a try. Boy was I glad that I did. The game is more accessible than ever, and you don't get cramps in your fingers due to playing on a 3DS. No, Monster hunter world feels at home on the playstation 4. Don't miss out on this game if you like hunting and killing badass monsters, and carve their bodies up and wear them like trophies. Expand
  58. Jan 28, 2018
    I've been playing Monster Hunter since 2009 and I can say this is by far the best in the series. The visuals are absolutely amazing and there have been many QoL additions to make it easier to start fighting monsters. I've played 30 hours since launch and am just barely getting into high rank quests. Each weapon feels unique and has new abilities to make them easy to learn but difficult toI've been playing Monster Hunter since 2009 and I can say this is by far the best in the series. The visuals are absolutely amazing and there have been many QoL additions to make it easier to start fighting monsters. I've played 30 hours since launch and am just barely getting into high rank quests. Each weapon feels unique and has new abilities to make them easy to learn but difficult to master. This is a near perfect game, if the online features were better then they currently are it'd be a 10/10. Expand
  59. Jan 30, 2018
    So after spending a great majority of my three day weekend over indulging in Monster Hunter: World, here is my review.

This is by far the best Monster Hunter title yet. But there are some new issues despite some great quality of life improvements. Little things like being able to move and use items is a very welcome addition, but takes away some of the crucial decision making that

Little things like being able to move and use items is a very welcome addition, but takes away some of the crucial decision making that was part of the fun.

Merging single player and multi player was a great idea but the execution is very flawed. You can only see quests posted in your session (max of 16 players) and in order to find anything other than the one or two that show up you have to search for an SOS flare. These quests are usually fine but I have dropped into a bunch of hunts where they are on their last continue only to fail the mission as soon as I get loaded in and make it to the fight.

With being able to harvest most resources just by walking by them and a quick press of the button, the scout flies are a great addition to help spot the now bountiful amount of harvesting points. It's also incredibly fun to do the initial tracking of the monster with them. But they've also aided in dumbing down some other elements of the series, as once you've found the monster they can always guide right whereit went. So you no longer need to paint the monster to keep track of it once if flees.

Finally moving to the more powerful hardware and making the maps one giant local as opposed to 10 - 15 small rooms is amazing. The areas feel fast and alive.

Overall, this is what the series needed albeit still with some fine tuning still. Pick this game up. It will eat up all your time.
  60. Jan 30, 2018
    Apesar de alguns defeitos, Monster Hunter: World consegue ser uma boa aquisição para quem deseja sair do marasmo. Com um ótimo sistema de crafting, uma infinidade de missões a serem feitas sendo elas opcionais ou não e uma narrativa interessante, certamente ele irá atrair o público mais pelas suas qualidades que por seus defeitos.

O que mais brilha no jogo são as cutscenes. São muito

O que mais brilha no jogo são as cutscenes. São muito bem desenvolvidas, e qualquer interação vale ser assistida. É muito divertido ver os gatinhos sendo seu Master Chef preparando sua refeição. Essa refeição aumentará seus atributos por um limite de tempo. Neste caso dependendo da escolha no menu, poderá ter maior resistência contra algum tipo de poder ou aumentar seu life. As Cutscenes mostram tanto eles fazendo seu cardápio suculento quanto o ferreiro também mostra uma equipe empenhada em melhorar seus pertences. Isso faz com que o jogo seja mais imersivo e você se sinta realmente em algo mais realístico.

Outra coisa interessante é a forma como alguns monstros ainda são desconhecidos para a equipe de pesquisa. Após terminar a missão, se faz necessário, até por bom censo, passar na equipe de pesquisa ecológica pra avisar sobre os novos monstros que estão habitando ecossistema. Ali, o 'biólogo', por assim dizer, poderá encontrar respostas para o mundo misterioso no qual se encontra, e que está passando por um certo holocausto. Exemplo disto é que a equipe de biólogos sequer tinha conhecimento de um monstro, aparentemente um boss, chamado Pukei-Pukei. Deu um trabalho da porra matar esse bicho, mesmo com a ajuda de meu amigo Rafael. Enquanto ele estava de posse de um espadão enorme, eu ficava com uma arma de disparo de longa distância, assim, preferi manter a integridade de nossa 'heroína'.
  61. Jan 29, 2018
    Monster Hunter World takes everything about the series and rethinks it. In doing so they keep the core gameplay that makes Monster Hunter great, but bring along a lot of quality of life improvements to the series.

This is a masterfully crafted game for both new comers and veterans. Each monster is unique and all 14 weapons are completely different with their own skills to master. The weapons are easy to use, but difficult to master and no one weapon is better than the other.

This is the game Monster Hunter has needed to become one of the biggest AAA franchises in gaming, from this point on.
  62. Jan 31, 2018
    Have been playing these games since Monster Hunter on ps2 and this is the biggest jump forward that the series has taken. Many quality of life improvements to help ease new players into the game without affecting difficulty. Beautifully presented with the gorgeous environments that are a mainstay of the series. The monsters themselves are fantastically done with animation and behaviourHave been playing these games since Monster Hunter on ps2 and this is the biggest jump forward that the series has taken. Many quality of life improvements to help ease new players into the game without affecting difficulty. Beautifully presented with the gorgeous environments that are a mainstay of the series. The monsters themselves are fantastically done with animation and behaviour that makes it a joy to just observe them. The music can get a touch repetitive but I honestly don't notice once the fights start. Palicoes and poogies, what more can I say. Expand
  63. Feb 1, 2018
    This game is all about learning. Learning your weapon of choice, your environment, your target, and overcoming it with pure skill. Then you forge stronger weapons, better armor, and move on to harder enemies.

And enemies are king here. With numerous monsters to hunt, each with its own quirks strengths and weaknesses, learning how they act and how to best them, is part of the fun. You might not be able to avoid being attacked at first, but eventually you learn the tells, and know how much to push before retreating to safety. Monster interact between themselves, and it's common to go on a hunt for a monster, and a stronger monster attacking that monster, creating a dynamic turf war.

You have plenty of tools at your disposal that let you control the flow of the fight though. Most monsters will flee if pelt in the head with a dung bomb for example. Maybe you want to stop a monster from flying away, a flash bomb would be perfect. You can even lay traps and lure monsters with fresh meat that you laced with your poison on tranquillisant of choice. Just make sure the monster is a carnivore - a Diablos won't care for meat for example. Like I said, learning each monster is part of the game.

There are 14 weapon styles and literally hundreds of weapons to chose, each beaving closer to a fighting game, than an action game. There are a few combos and a "super" on each weapon, so you get an added layer of skill. It's not just about spacing and timing. Weapons might have elements, so choosing the right weapon for the hunt can make the whole difference. Take your water sword if you are hunting a fire dragon. Armor, likewise, has natural resistances and weaknesses, so careful selection of gear might make all the difference between surviving a barrage of attacks. Skill is still king though, the best players will often fight "naked", to show off how well they mastered that monster.

There is no RPG levels here. You only get stronger by the equipment you create and use. You'll only do as much damage as the sword you have equipped, and your skill permits. So there is a natural progression to the game. You slay a monster, carve his parts and move on to harder monster, with better weapons and armor made of those parts.

The game has so many systems, it's easy even for veterans to lose themselves, so it tries not to overwhelm you initially. It brings new concepts and systems one at a time, with stuff to learn even when you already put 50 hours into the game.

The game supports up to 4 players in a co-op mission, with a 16 player lobby. This is where monster hunter starts to shine. Hunting in multiplayer has the difficulty adjusted, so the monster will be slightly harder, but likewise, 4 hunters do more damage than just 1. Weapon diversity in the party will usually work best, as each weapon might excel at one task, but be mediocre at other.

The game looks stunning. We finally get to see all those monsters, weapons and armors in current gen detail, and it's glorious. Framerate is unlocked in the 3 graphical choices you are given (on the PS4 Pro), which can be a minor complaint for some people, it personally didn't bother me.

There are a few minuscule negative points I feel compelled to bring up though, and they all seem like hereditary problems. Old Monster Hunter games split single player and multiplayer missions. Not MHW, although it only lets you start the multiplayer mode for a story mission after you saw a cutscene in single player. This is cumbersome and unnecessary, but it can be worked around. Stuff like guild card list, works as a secondary friends list, and is completely unnecessary in the console versions. It comes from a time when consoles didn't have a friend list to begin with, and it made sense back then. Right now, there is no reason to be implemented as it is.

I feel I barely described this game, but I certainly would recommend everyone to at least try it. For hardcore gamers, this is a must.
  64. Feb 14, 2018
    Don't expect to play the story mode co-op with a buddy. The game does a horrific job at allowing friends to play together. Expedition mode is pointless because the monster leaves the "locale" before you get a chance to kill it.

Those are pretty much the only 2 things wrong with this game.... and even though those are two HUGE things, I still give this game an 8/10 because the gameplay is great, the sounds/music is great and the maps feel alive and well thought out.
  65. Jan 29, 2018
    This is the first game in the series that I have played. Overall, this is a gorgeous game that is extremely fun. Combat system is polished and every fight is essentially a boss fight. There are plenty of weapons and armors to craft, and the crafting system is pretty straight forward. My main gripe with the game is that their systems are severely underexplained by the game. There areThis is the first game in the series that I have played. Overall, this is a gorgeous game that is extremely fun. Combat system is polished and every fight is essentially a boss fight. There are plenty of weapons and armors to craft, and the crafting system is pretty straight forward. My main gripe with the game is that their systems are severely underexplained by the game. There are several mechanics that are not addressed in the tutorial, and while the game rushes you to keep completing main quests, it never explains the better methods to grind and collect crafting materials. The investigations, expeditions, and bounties are not highlighted enough, and that's where most of your time will be spent. I didn't discover the ecologist researcher until about hour 15, and he is vital to progressing your monster hunting skills.

For a new player unfamiliar with these features, like myself, it was frustrating and repetitive in the beginning since I kept doing side quests over, and over, and over again to acquire the crafting materials I needed.

Other than that, this is a very polished game, and one that if you're a fan of Action RPGs you must buy.
  66. Feb 5, 2018
    First Monster Hunter for me and I love it so much. The game can be very simple and very complex if you chose it to be. Only a few things are off with me on this one.

The online matchmaking is a nightmare. The menu system revolving around it is horrid and you can only depart on missions with people in your session it seems. Why not let me chose the hunt I want and then you can find me partners around the world?

And not being able to cancel various movements is so frustrating. Like I'm carving a tail and see a godamn mosquito flying over to bite me and I can't do anything to prevent it. Or sharpening a weapon and clearly see a pissed off dragon preparing to charge my face and my character just keeps on sharpening. Let me drop the weapon and jump away or something please :(
  67. Jan 29, 2018
    I really love this game. I should mention, that i never played a Monster Hunter part before - the start for this game is quite easy - for beginners - but starting with the "Anjanath" - it starts gettin more difficult, which is quite rewarding when you finally kill it :) I didnt think i'd like it - but yet - i love to grind ;-)
    The reason i'm only giving 8 of 10 is:
    a) The long loading
    The reason i'm only giving 8 of 10 is:
    a) The long loading times
    b) It's troublesome to play with teammates and sometimes forces you to start a mission alone although you're in a team.
  68. Feb 5, 2018
    I have been playing Monster Hunter since the original on the PS2. I typically don't like a lot of change in games like this since the base formula is so entertaining. With that in mind, I am really enjoying this game but there are definitely some downsides. Some points:

-Quality of life changes are extremely abundant. Some are very welcomed such as the Hunter Notes being an ingame wikipedia after a few hunts of whatever monster you are farming, whereas others are unnecessary and make the game easier than it already is.
    -Low Rank monsters have extremely low health and their parts are easily broken. However, their damage output is still substantial.
    -Weapons have new combo strings which makes each weapon type even more interesting.
    -Maps no longer have loading between zones and have a ton of verticality. You interact with the wildlife and the environment in a number of ways which makes you feel immersed and connected.
    -All but one of the new monsters have unique and interesting designs. Each fight is extremely entertaining.
    -Load times between the online lobby, the town itself, and preparing/departing on missions can get lengthy at times on a base PS4 (not pro).
    -The weapon trees are a little limiting in terms of planning your upgrade path. Further upgrades aren't even shown until you 'unlock' that level of the tree.
    -Armor skills give the skill innately instead of having to add up to (handicraft needed 10 points to get +1 sharpness before, now you just need an armor with handicraft to get +1 sharpness). Some skills have multiple ranks. Overall, it is much easier to get the skills that you want.

The game is extremely fun once you get past the first few hunts and start facing more formidable foes and get the hang of the new systems. If you are a fan of the older games, keep an open mind going into this one as it is certainly easier but the difficulty picks up substantially at HR. If you are a newcomer, take your time in the beginning and find a weapon you enjoy.
  69. Feb 18, 2018
    New to the Monster Hunter franchise and purchased this after the open beta, the core of the game is slaying monsters in epic battles, I think a fair comparison would be MMORPG raid bosses, you can take this on solo or you can do it online with up to 3 others to form a party of 4.
    The game has a lot of depth, holds your hand at the start but then lets you go pretty early to explore and figure things out, the mechanics, the upgrade system, the monster fights as the games ecosystem, monsters trespassing in another's area will stur up fights which can be amusing to watch.
    I've sunk nearly 200 hours into this game, something I didn't plan on doing so, it's just a credit to the game and the world that has been created.
  70. Dec 5, 2018
    TL:DR version: RNG quickly kills the fun
    As a newcomer to the series, I was a bit hesitant about getting this title, since I've heard that there's a lot of grind and you just hunt the same monster all the time. I don't mind the grind it it's reasonable, so I figured I'll give it a try. Now, after 30hrs, I'm just burned out and going to other games.
    Pros: Beautiful environments, great
    TL:DR version: RNG quickly kills the fun

Pros: Beautiful environments, great character creator and interesting looking armor. Monsters that are very well animated and interact with each other (first time you see little lizards attack a big t-rex that is near death is like a scene from Jurassic Park). A somewhat entertaining story that held my interest until certain point. A huge weapon variety which accommodates any play style. A satisfying and addictive progression in the early game: kill a monster, unlock and build better weapons and armor, kill a stronger monster.

Cons: melee combat is clunky and is like trying to hit a fly with a giant hammer. I switched to ranged which at least has an indicator to tell you if you are hitting the monster from proper distance or not. the progression tree is mostly hidden, and the game gives you no indication what materials you need to progress and where to find them. I had to resort to unofficial guides A LOT.

And finally, grind, grind, grind + RNG with terrible drop rates means you will waste a loooot of time.
    This is aggravated by the fact that after a certain point in the story the game basically resets the progression which makes you suddenly feel like you achieved nothing. Yes, for some inexplicable reason the monsters that were a piece of cake suddenly get a boost in power, so the basic giant lizard can KO you in one hit in the armor that you spent so much time to obtain. Worse, the game unlock a new better armor which is just a reskin of the armor you already have. After fighting the same exact high rank t-rex 5 times (30min battle each) I still don''t have enough pieces to build his armor due to bad RNG.

Multiplayer: nonexistent. You are mostly alone, unless you invite friends. If a fight gets hard, you can fire a SOS flare, which lets other players to join your session but also makes the monster harder. However, players who join are usually such high level that the monster is dead within 5 minutes. It's basically an "instawin" button.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with the game, but now it got to the point where the game is barely giving me anything while demanding a lot of time in return. I may come back to finish the story, but I hope MHW2 does a better job and less grind.
  71. Oct 13, 2018
    This review is for the PS4 version only - I don't know how the PC version runs, but at the moment I'd recommend it in a heartbeat over this version. It spends most of the time running below 30fps, the and the visuals are washed-out and largely unimpressive. It performed so badly when I started it that I thought it was broken, and then I found out that you can't get a refund on a PS4 gameThis review is for the PS4 version only - I don't know how the PC version runs, but at the moment I'd recommend it in a heartbeat over this version. It spends most of the time running below 30fps, the and the visuals are washed-out and largely unimpressive. It performed so badly when I started it that I thought it was broken, and then I found out that you can't get a refund on a PS4 game if you've downloaded it, so that was another kick in the guts.

In terms of the game itself - like many, this is my first foray into Monster Hunter, and while I'm enjoying myself for the time being, the experience leaves a lot to be desired. The combat is clunky and lacks finesse. You can lock on to enemies, but even then you must force your character to face them before you attack - which is easier said than done, as the directional movement is imprecise and the enemies move quickly, meaning you spend a lot of time hacking whatever you can hit rather than targeting specific areas, or altogether swinging in the wrong direction. This forces a bit of skill into play, which is rewarding when you begin to master the controls, but it doesn't stop it from feeling poorly designed and very dated.

The localisation efforts are disappointing as well - the lip syncing hasn't been adapted for other languages, and so the cutscenes look absurd, like badly-dubbed Japanese movies.

There are positives though - there is a tangible feeling of growth and improvement as your personal skills improve, and your weapons and armour are upgraded to better deal with enemy attacks, so creatures that you were once terrified are cut down quicker and quicker. The environments are stunningly designed as well, it's just a shame that they look so poor in the PS4 version.

I also really think they should be advertising more as a multiplayer game. There are several core features that require you to be online to use, including taking time to prepare missions as if you're in a lobby, even when you're not playing online. So you can't just select a mission and start it straight away in single player, you've got to wait for the game to be ready even though you're not waiting for anyone in particular. The first two times I started the game, it stopped to show me ads for PSN membership, which felt obscene. If you buy it on PC, you don't have to pay again to use your internet connection, and therefore don't get locked out of half the game's features just for not being online.

In short, I'd tentatively recommend it for £20 or so on PC, but not much more, and I'd not recommend it at all on PS4. Save yourself the heartache, because the game looks like a PS3 game and plays like a PS2 game, and there's simply no excuse for that in this day and age.
  72. Jun 5, 2018
    Was a good game to start with until around 10 hours in and you find that it's just so repetitive and dull
  73. Jan 28, 2018
    I preordered monster hunter world on christmas eve and I started playing it with my squad at the same time, We played the game for 22 hours.... straight. Hopefully that tells you how addicting the grind is in this game.
  74. Feb 13, 2018
    After playing for a week-or-so, I can't shake the feeling of emptiness in the game as a whole. There are monsters, check. There are weapons and armor, check. There are items that fill up my inventory quicker than it has any place filling up, check. But, there are also very artificial ways to indicate and/or slow progress that distract you from the lack of interesting things to do, as wellAfter playing for a week-or-so, I can't shake the feeling of emptiness in the game as a whole. There are monsters, check. There are weapons and armor, check. There are items that fill up my inventory quicker than it has any place filling up, check. But, there are also very artificial ways to indicate and/or slow progress that distract you from the lack of interesting things to do, as well as repetitiveness, for only so long.

But, then what? The multiplayer aspects feel half-arsed, with no real feeling of playing together. Rather, your pals help you out when you're too weak to handle yourself... Okay then...

The game also gets very repetitive, very fast. I like grinding for meaningful stuff, but in MH:W, you just end up grinding ONE monster for ONE drop that allows you to make ONE weapon. I can't really put my finger on it, but it feels... meaningless. To put it in other words, you "hunt" for one specific item to make any progress and everything else that happens (other drops, other events) is utterly pointless.

Summa summarum, I have big time buyers regret. Other's, be aware.
  75. Jan 29, 2018
    As someone who has tried multiple Monster Hunter games and has had trouble enjoying them, I finally found one I that slightly turns the corner from boring to fun. I have a PS4 Pro with a hybrid hard drive and the game ran very smoothly for me.

Pros: -Fantastic Visuals and great variety of biomes -UI has been vastly improved -Many annoying features from prior entries have been

Pros:

-Fantastic Visuals and great variety of biomes
    -UI has been vastly improved
    -Many annoying features from prior entries have been ratcheted down or eliminated
    -Levels now have lots of verticality to them, which makes exploring much less linear
    -Crafting involves less grinding than in the past
    -The game main quests are a lot more fun and focus on killing big monsters, rather than gathering mushrooms, for example, like in other entries (but there are still quests for that if you want)
    -Voice acting and music are good
    -Challenge ramps ups just about right and combat is about precision, combos, and timing rather than button mashing
    -Tons of great looking armor and weapons with unique passive skills attached to them in some cases, which adds a lot of depth to preparing to a hunt
    -Information needed to play the game is mostly included in the game!

Cons

-Lip Syncing does not match English voices (yes, we do deserve this) and it's not fully voiced (NPCs will do that Japanese thing of making a sound or a few words unrelated to their dialog text)
    -Animations are strange during some cut scenes sometimes (typical for Japanese games honestly)
    -UI, while improved, is still far behind Western games and clunky. Things simply don't work intuitively like they could.
    -Servers are unreliable for multiplayer and the rules/UI for multiplayer games are strange and obtuse.
    -Can be repetitive if you let it, but you can move on as well to the next hunt instead of grinding to alleviate the fatigue of grinding.
    -Some weapons feel vastly inferior to others in cost and skill required (may be personal preference)
    -Game has "garrison chores" like from World of Warcraft (some may like this, I don't)
    -You can (and probably should) eat before going out on a hunt (why is this in everything), but it doesn't require any effort other than a couple button presses, so it's more of a chore, albeit a short one. You can eat while on a hunt now, which is nice.
    -Lots of randomness in combat and important drops for crafting, which can be frustrating for some people
    -Short, but if you take your time and enjoy everything, I think the length was just fine.
  76. Feb 14, 2018
    Monster Hunter World is a beautiful game, (although the graphics seem a little outdated) the monsters feel and behave like actual living creatures, the settings are pretty and the music is not memorable but nice.
    The main problem this game has beside the online connectivity issues that make you try to join a quest 10 times before being actually able to join, its its gameplay. It s fun but not engaging and while playing I didn't feel invested at all. It s kinda like an arcade game where you kill things just to kill them and pass time. So yeah, if you are bored its a fun game to kill time, but if your time is limited it could be spent in other games of quality because in all honesty this game is just ok. Its a beautiful, fun but mediocre game.
    This game has a "story" which is just watching cutscenes of characters you don't give a damn and looking at beautiful monsters arriving before you ll hunt them.
    It should have had a true story/ campaign. In this game none of the characters are interesting, and nobody explains nothing or gives any context to what is happening other than "yeah that monster is bothering us , could you kill it please?"
    Why are they monsters in the first place? Who are these "fleets" 1st,2nd,etc? Why were we sailing? Where did we come from? None of these questions are answered.
    Then there is the first "boss fight" which is just a set piece of you shooting at a giant mountain and then climbing it to shoot at some rocks. Was it pretty? Yes, but boring as hell.
    I should also talk about the combat , which is quite deep and there are 14 different weapons to try which is cool but in reality you ll end up using 2 or 3 tops depending on what monsters you face.

TLDR:
    +Beatifull environments
    +Monsters feel like living creatures
    +Deep combat mechanics
    -the story mode is a joke that doesn't explain nothing
    -uninteresting characters
    -outdated graphics
    -mirriad of online connectivity issues
    -fun but uninteresting gameplay that doesn't get you involved. Like mindless arcade games.
    Score: 7/10. Fun but mediocre.
  77. Feb 26, 2018
    An amazing game that will draw you in. Bit slow to start but then what mh game hasn’t been. Has got rid of the annoyances from previous games I won’t post them on here best to find them out for yourself.

Graphics are great but still manages to capture the core gameplay which makes this one very special The only thing that stops it getting a 10 from me is the confusing multiplayer I

The only thing that stops it getting a 10 from me is the confusing multiplayer I kinda get it but I feel a lot of people aren’t as it makes the hub very quiet with only a few people I have actually seen.
  78. Apr 19, 2018
    Capcom sank 4 long years in development on World and it 100% payed off! Every square inch of World is full of life and detail. The monster fights are engaging and enthralling to say the least. This definitely my favorite poster hunter game since 4 Ultimate and is a masterpiece with some network kinks there and there
  79. Feb 2, 2018
    This is my first Monster hunter game and while I have partly enjoyed my 45 hours played so far I have also severely hated it at times. I think that this game IS good but it has some issues that make playing it extremely frustrating.

Below are some of the issues I had with the game. 1. I find there is literally no point playing this game with other people, unless its in a squad with

Below are some of the issues I had with the game.

1. I find there is literally no point playing this game with other people, unless its in a squad with real life friends, even then if your teammates are bad it just makes it harder for you to get a kill.

2. Monster vs Monster fighting is cool the first time but having to go through it every single fight just gets annoying. The number of times I'll be fighting one monster in a cave and all of a sudden this giant flying dragon, in a buggy manner starts spamming moves into this confined space and there is literally no room to move.... yeh so cool...

3. Why the hell does the map need a lock on feature, can't i just aim the damn pointer and click where I want the way point without some stupid thing locking onto whatever is closest.

4. Flying monsters change locations too often. This coupled with the fact that your scout flies will lose track of your chosen target every time you come across another small or large monster and re selecting the monster just seems to do nothing until you run away from your current foes.

5. The targeting system is actually useless, I have started playing without using it at all. The random locking on to a target through walls when you do use it is actually laughable

6. Fighting giant, flying (or even non flying) monsters in small, cramped locations with them spamming their moves over and over is simply not fun at all.

7. The weapon and armour sets/skills just seem very boring and uninspiring maybe this is due to my inexperience but I have progressed into high rank simply using bone armour and a bone charge shield.

I really just don't see this game lasting much longer than a couple weeks as a popular game on Twitch and I believe it will pretty much die out soon with only hard core fans continuing to play. I am disappointed by this as i hoped they could have made this game into something much bigger, better and long lasting. I know it doesn't follow the traditional MH formula but why couldn't they streamline the multiplayer aspect, making it easier to find people to play with and having more incentive to actually play multiplayer. Adding in DPS meters or such to promote competitiveness, having some form of ranking based on skill not just how much you've played, Much more variety in possible gear builds. In my opinion its these types systems that make games last longer and stay popular. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
  80. Feb 12, 2018
    Monster Hunter World is passable. My first Hunter game was Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U. I quit after a few hours. It’s marred by poor execution. MHW shares that problem. It’s better than its predecessors, but decent visuals only exalt it so far. Gameplay is rigid. The steep learning curve turns off newbies. Co-op doesn’t function as intended. Fans will still love MHW because ofMonster Hunter World is passable. My first Hunter game was Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U. I quit after a few hours. It’s marred by poor execution. MHW shares that problem. It’s better than its predecessors, but decent visuals only exalt it so far. Gameplay is rigid. The steep learning curve turns off newbies. Co-op doesn’t function as intended. Fans will still love MHW because of its many improvements.

MHW's environs are vibrant and sharp. They resembles Kingdoms of Amalur: pretty but cartoonish. The aesthetic is appropriate, but performance limitations hamper more impressive visuals. Details are skimpy. Get close enough to any surface and they appear flat and vague. MHW contains multiple visual modes that either boost framerates or graphics/resolution on the PS4 Pro. There’s noticeable differences between settings, more so than Horizon: Zero Dawn. The performance hit for selecting graphics over framerates isn’t worth it. MHW emphasizes quick reflexes, so frames always win. To activate the settings, players must pick one and reset the game—a cumbersome process that discourages frequent adjustments. Overall, performance is just OK. The long load times stand out.

The story is linear and threadbare. A positive for hunters who want to jump into action. For the rest of us, it's unimaginative and boring. Yet, the series modernized itself without tainting its formula. There’s tons of activity for players who enjoy walloping big things. They can free roam or play missions, and there’s no rush. MHW really shines in co-op. Playing with friends is a blast. However, tracking monsters is easy. Getting to objectives only takes a few moments, and the world feels smaller and smaller as time goes on. One of the biggest drawbacks to MHW is its undersized set pieces. If the fancy graphics were toned down, MHW's world could be reproduced on last gen systems. Xenoblade Chronicles X contains an equally large world on puny hardware.

There's lots of gear. The concept is simple: Hunt monsters, earn parts, use parts to craft gear. Upgrading is odd. Weapons need monster parts to upgrade. Players can pick different upgrade paths for weapons which affect their damage output. Armor requires parts to create, but only needs spheres to upgrade. Some armors look really cool, but their bonus stats are lame. Once armor is crafted only their defense rating can be improved. Unlike weapons, there’s no way to alter armor bonuses. Players must equip pieces of armor with the same bonuses so those bonuses will stack. This counterintuitive mechanic prohibits hunters from favoring whole armor sets. Crafting gear requires lots of grinding. The nonlinear gear progression penalizes players who don't carefully choose upgrade paths.

Character creation is decent. However, toons look awful ingame. Just awful. So cover those ugly mugs with helmets.

The learning curve is unnecessarily steep. Players will get lost because the opening tutorials suck and nothing is fully explained. Inventory management is a mess. The leveling system is opaque. However, players shouldn’t hesitate to experiment. A few crafting mistakes won't matter all that much as things progress.

Online functionality is broken. At launch, lobbies were full of players. Not anymore. They must manually search SOS flares to participate in co-op adventures. Considering the lengthy beta, online elements were tacked on. The base of operations only contains NPC’s. A big letdown for a co-op game. The online functionality needs an overhaul to stay viable. There’s too much competition for half-assed experiences. Questing works well enough once players team up. Lag is minimal. Unfortunately, teams are only as strong as the weakest members. Careless players will cause missions to fail. Some monster parts are difficult to farm with randoms.

Gameplay is the weakest link. Navigating terrain is awkward. Combat is stiff and imprecise. In all situations, character movement lacks fluidity. Camera angles are erratic and controlling it is a chore. The targeting feature is awful. Monster animations can be unpredictable. In coop, monster agro constantly shifts which leads to unfocused battles. Even the largest creatures will instantly spin around to land fatal blows. These nimbly acrobatic moves are ridiculously unrealistic.

Without co-op, MHW isn't as fun because it feels dated and clunky. Dark Souls delivers better combat and straightforward progression. An apt comparison since both franchises share similar focuses. Horizon Zero Dawn is a better alternative for solo players who wanna smack dinosaurs. MHW is good enough, but things don't pick up until mid/late game. Many players will quit before reaching that point.

Once players grasp its nuances, they’ll see MHW's flaws can be overlooked. However, MHW’s success indicates Japanese developers may have another great year. I'm OK with that. Western developers are obsessed with FPS shooters.
  81. Jan 29, 2018
    Monster Hunter is finally back on home consoles where it belongs. Long have I waited for this day to come. I played all the Monster Hunters and this one is by far the best one. Highly recommended!
  82. Jan 30, 2018
    First of all: I want to apologize to some hurt people or defending their "opinion" with hate! Now hear me out - You can't satisfy every single gamer so open your eyes before posting weird stuff and think realistic. As a Monster Hunter veteran with 3k hours (including beating every single quest in 3U solo with G rank) i can safely say that many negative user reviews are weird or make noFirst of all: I want to apologize to some hurt people or defending their "opinion" with hate! Now hear me out - You can't satisfy every single gamer so open your eyes before posting weird stuff and think realistic. As a Monster Hunter veteran with 3k hours (including beating every single quest in 3U solo with G rank) i can safely say that many negative user reviews are weird or make no sense! The changes in this game are insane - Some you may don't notice at first but others will just make your heart warm. They did a perfect job with this game compared to previous ones of this series. Only thing i had to get used to was the monster roster but that doesn't change the fact that this game is perfection. Bought a Ps4-Pro just for this game and i regret NOTHING! Expand
  83. Feb 5, 2018
    Great game that loses its essence to evolve into something bigger.
    the only drawback is your BSO, how bad it is!

game 100% recommended
  84. Aug 6, 2018
    This game contextualizes the failure of any modernized, westernized, newbie friendly generation game, and I feel compelled to speak up because in my view it has no less robbed me with the amount of its asking price, and its incredibly easy to list the factors of a terrible game in analogy to this one, so lets:

1) The premise of an open world, with a download size of a little over 14GB

1) The premise of an open world, with a download size of a little over 14GB on PS4, almost around the size of an arcade fighting game, so obvious was the warning that no, there's no open world design here, it's a lot of back tracking and invisible walls and physical limitations, it's a false promise right there.

2) Menus. If none of the game's challenges require one to skim through its mechanics, then they needn't be there! More so there's a newspaper worth of explaining that the developers take leisure to simply shove in the players' face before one even realizes why they're there.

3) Oversimplifying. AI isn't really as well developed or "intelligent" as we hope to see it in this game, so the more complicated the game mechanics are, the more versatile an enemy AI seems, but given the tools available to the enemy AI as is, I fail to see how anyone can illude the player with the enemy's toolkit, it feels almost retarded and doesn't warrant of me any more than the mindless whaling of a 3 year old against the buttons of the controller to dish out combos or beat a certain "boss" fight.

The fight style, looks cool! I was taken aback by how awesome my move set was, with any weapon of choice, couple that with amazing graphics and stellar sound that marks my every jump or slash and I almost felt dazzled, but when I actually played the game, none of it made a difference, it's a button masher, positioning is made irrelevant by how easy it is to heal or escape a boss, and the enemies don't have the capacity to react to any move of my choosing, no more than running around or plainly attacking, so they're flat in a sense.

The whole game is rubbish, perhaps the most remarkably over-hyped piece of rubbish in the history of gaming.

I could forgive this game if it had the size, or the story, or even had as interesting a level up system as an MMO RPG, which this game shamelessly tries to be one, but there's no challenge nor reward to be had in it.
  85. Jan 27, 2018
    This is the necessary upgrade to Monster Hunter formula and it's so damn addictive!
  86. Jan 30, 2018
    This is the greatest Monster Hunter game ever made. Open world maps, living ecosystem, and beautiful lifelike monsters to hunt. Monster Hunter has finally returned home to Playstation.
  87. Jan 28, 2018
    absolutely amazing. i could compliment the game in al aspects except maybe 1.
    there should be an easier way to play with friends.
  88. Jan 29, 2018
    I've never played a Monster Hunter game before, but I'm glad I picked this up.
    Not to mention the game is very beautiful, it is really fun to play. There is a sense of danger when walking in the wild and it's very interesting to try all the different weapons.
    The best part is the fact you can play this with your friends.
  89. Jan 29, 2018
    Monster Hunter World es un juego que ha unido todos los puntos fuertes de anteriores entregas de la saga y que ha dejado como opcionales los ambitos mas "aburridos" de las mismas. Es un juego que promete miles de horas de juego, y el hecho de que se vaya a ir actualizando de forma gratuita con contenido nuevo es un PLUS enorme que practicamente ningun juego actual tiene. Un 10 para mí,Monster Hunter World es un juego que ha unido todos los puntos fuertes de anteriores entregas de la saga y que ha dejado como opcionales los ambitos mas "aburridos" de las mismas. Es un juego que promete miles de horas de juego, y el hecho de que se vaya a ir actualizando de forma gratuita con contenido nuevo es un PLUS enorme que practicamente ningun juego actual tiene. Un 10 para mí, esperaba muchisimo, y ha resultado ser aun mejor.

This game has packed all the important and most loved features of the previous MH games, and brought as "optional missions" the most "boring" things about it. It seems to promise a lot of hours of gameplay and the fact that it will include free new content is a PLUS. Its a 10 for me, i expected a lot from this game andit has resulted to be even more!
  90. Jan 26, 2018
    Overall the game is amazing, beautiful and challenging, much content even free DLC for upcoming, many monster will be release as free dlc which is great. GOTY contender!
  91. Feb 4, 2018
    No video game should deserve overwhelming praise just because it may have slightly improved some aspects from any previous entries. Monster Hunter: World has got to be one of the most overrated games I've ever played. The controls are messy and the combat is slow and sticky with an apparent broken lock-on system. The story is weak with light and childish presentation accompanied byNo video game should deserve overwhelming praise just because it may have slightly improved some aspects from any previous entries. Monster Hunter: World has got to be one of the most overrated games I've ever played. The controls are messy and the combat is slow and sticky with an apparent broken lock-on system. The story is weak with light and childish presentation accompanied by horrendous lip-sync. The online matchmaking is often unreliable and the arena seems to be socially dead. Worst of all, the entire game is basically a grind with no means to an end (this could probably be said with all Monster Hunter games though).

It's just not fun for me. I tried so hard getting into it, but after 30+ hours of doing the same objectives over and over again in different missions I just wasn't enjoying it at all. I will give it props for good music, beautifully detailed environments, and the game itself to be very solidly made and nearly free of technical issues. But aside from occasionally having fun in co-op, I can't help but feel like my money was somewhat wasted by being pressured into thinking something rather repetitive and generic was worth investing time into. I would never dare call it an awful game in a public place, but it's just not for me. This is my first and last Monster Hunter.
  92. Jan 29, 2018
    As a veteran hunter (well over 2000 hours of playtime for the series), I was both extremely excited and extremely skeptical when MHW was announced. After about 20 hours of playtime, I can confidently say that Capcom has put out their best work so far. The graphics are gorgeous, and the hunts feel more immersive and real. There may still be some kinks to sort out with the online portion ofAs a veteran hunter (well over 2000 hours of playtime for the series), I was both extremely excited and extremely skeptical when MHW was announced. After about 20 hours of playtime, I can confidently say that Capcom has put out their best work so far. The graphics are gorgeous, and the hunts feel more immersive and real. There may still be some kinks to sort out with the online portion of the game, including the squads and joining friends games (including SOS flares) etc. but overall I know that this game will put me a few hundred hours deeper into the Monster Hunter universe... and in beautiful 4k. After fighting Odogaron, my fears that the game was made easier to accommodate new players were dismissed lol. Expand
  93. Jan 27, 2018
    Отличная, красочная игра, по наполнению легко уделывающая конкурентов - Destiny и Division.
  94. Jan 30, 2018
    What can I say? The great game ever, Amazing Game! Thank you Capcom! Masterpiece.
  95. Feb 6, 2018
    Monster Hunter World is basically more of the same, if you've played any of the previous entries into the long standing series you'll pick this up with no problem. New players will also be happy to know this is the most beginner friendly and expansive monster hunter title to date. However while they did a great job of making the core mechanics more accessible, some of the more esotericMonster Hunter World is basically more of the same, if you've played any of the previous entries into the long standing series you'll pick this up with no problem. New players will also be happy to know this is the most beginner friendly and expansive monster hunter title to date. However while they did a great job of making the core mechanics more accessible, some of the more esoteric stuff is still poorly explained. My biggest contentions however are the ugly character models with mass effect andromeda tier facial expressions, and the clunky and outdated interface for putting a party together for multiplayer, this really needs doing away with in favour of an easier to use matchmaking system more in line with today's multiplayer titles.

All in all it's a good game, probably one of the best to date, but it's held back by a refusal to innovate on longstanding and outdated systems.
  96. Feb 17, 2018
    Except for some unbalance range weapons that need to be addressed (HBG to be specific) and cluster F*** multiplayer system, the game is extremely enjoyable. The dynamic ecosystem and environment is the best feature to be added in this iteration.

I used to hate the previous game (PS2 version, I never play any handheld version), but this one finally buy me over.
  97. Jan 30, 2018
    Monster Hunter World sets out to simulate a living and breathing ecosystem, and absolutely nails it. Monster Hunter hasn't felt this fresh since Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, and it does that by not only returning to it's hunting roots, but also expanding that concept in a way the fans!

98. Feb 1, 2018
    MH is combat in a nutshell. Be patient, learn the monster moves and respective tells and skillfully perform your attacks on the appropriate windows.

I heard it once and it suits the game very well: it's a game of patience (like hunting, duh) and when having a hard time it helps to approach it like a turn-based combat. There’s no room for an eager hack-and-slasher player. Not

There’s no room for an eager hack-and-slasher player. Not dominating positioning, timing, and your own gear are a failsafe approach to get rekt on any MH game.

Another staple of the franchise is the loot system and the grinding. You’ll see yourself battling the same monster 10, 15+ times to get that rare carve with 4% drop rate and targeting specific vulnerable parts to break them and raise the chance a little bit – but you’ll love every step of the way. Every fight feels fantastic as what differs in you killing a Rathalos in 28 min, using 10 mega potions and 10 potions, and you killing it with ease in 8 minutes with no need for heavy healing is your personal progress, your proficiency with your gear and reading the monster tells. The grinding treats you right.
  99. Feb 20, 2018
    Monster Hunter: World is a very fun time-killing game worth anyone's time. It features multiple different monsters, an (almost) overwhelming supply of different weapons and upgrades for them, as well as an evolving game that changes to reflect your skill growth and gear upgrades in the game.

For anyone who doesn't know, Monster Hunter's core gameplay mechanics are gathering and hunting, and not much else. You run around in five different places on this continent each varying in size, gather materials to craft all sorts of consumable items used to craft ammunition for weapons, potions, or buffs, as well as items used to negate status effects and more. This is it. There are 30 unique monsters (31 with the coming addition of an MH veteran, the Deviljho), each one with their own attack patterns and weaknesses.

This game's controls do feel a bit clunky at first, but this game's mechanics makes you a better player for it - If there were any points in the game that made me feel as if they were inevitable, I improved my understanding of the dodging and other animations, and these moments disappeared.

Monster Hunter: World's weapon variety is a little bit lacking, however. If you're looking for individual weapon models for each and every upgrade, you'll be disappointed. Most weapons of the same tree look the same until the latter weapon upgrades, and even then there's little variety to be found until upgrading into weapons that are designed from specific monsters. Graphically, this game is also a little lacking. Running off of the same engine that ran the very first Dead Rising means that there is not a lot of optimization - frame rate can drop on the non-pro PS4, and while I cannot say that it is better or worse on the Xbox as I do not own one, I can expect that it is not much different. That being said, this game's graphics are very pretty for what they are. It will not impress many people looking for the best graphics consoles can see, but it is more than acceptable for casual play.

One of the largest problems people have with this game is the fact that it is very grindy, and this is a fair argument. With the main objective of the game being killing or capturing monsters, carving their corpses, using those materials to craft better equipment to kill more monsters, there is not a lot of gameplay variety outside of a few different types of quests involving gathering or killing a specific amount of the endemic creatures.

All in all, this game is a very good game worth peoples' money if they believe that this game is for them. The game is a much more accessible Monster Hunter compared to past games of handheld fame. For people that enjoy just chilling out and nonstop boss fights, this game is for them. Multiplayer, while a little bit tedious as it requires cutscene viewing to set up, is a very good experience, and this game is perfectly catered towards single-player gameplay as well.
  100. Jan 29, 2018
    First of all - I BEG you do not click the negative reviews at this point (65 existing negative Reviews at the moment I am writing this), Those reviews are written by haters (0/10 - SUCKS! old game was so much better, this game isn't worth a single point!!!) and being who don't know and understand the franchise (Game is repetitive, you do the same thing over and over again, duh)

Listen

Listen up. You can criticize Gran Turismo for doing nothing else but racing. This is Monster Hunter and the game mechanic IS and will always be the same, just the Monster and Difficulty varies.

So, having this out of the way, lets go to the Review.

I am playing Monster Hunter since Monster hunter Freedom Unite on the PSP and having played every Installment since then and fighting now in High Rank on MHW, I can really say: This game is good. Pretty good.

Most of the things that made the old MH tedious are gone. For good measure, they kept us some tedious things so we do not forget where the game comes from (I look at you, Egg delivery!) but the Game plays so much better and thanks to the new Engine is phenomenal to look at. The World you are hunting in looks so much more alive and vibrant - It is just beautiful to play this Game.

The Difficulty Curve leaves a bit to be desired. You are stuck for a long time in Low Ranks which is a Cakewalk, before the High Rank Missions start, which are at least a bit difficult. At this point you are also unlocking the more complex crafting mechanics, so I wish the High Rank Features would have been in the game earlier. (Even though I think no one would have cared, since people rush into HR anyway).

If I have to criticize this game then its it lack of monsters. Due to the fact its a new Engine, they had to do everything from scratch - Which causes the game to lack massively in content. But don't fear, you will still get your 100< Hours of Fun out of it and you will enjoy it - If you are into Action Adventures like Dark Souls and God Eater, of course.

I would say it is a solid 9/10 , losing a point due to the mentioned issues. But beside that - Capcom, good game! Thank you.

1. Jun 21, 2018
    Honestly, if the Low and High Rank portions wasn’t as polished and an incredible experience to go through. This score would be 7/8 margin just because compared to previous games, the rotating event quests, RNG investigations for RNG loot, reduced weapon and quest pool, and less challenging solo player end game. But, with the incredibly constructed world, incredible combat experience, and cohesive experience, the downpoints are more just demands for more content.
  2. May 21, 2018
    I won't rehash the problems I had with World simply because they make me profoundly sad. I wanted to like the game, I hoped the new direction would bring the series to a new level, but instead, the whole thing blew up in my face like a Marshmallow Peep left in the microwave too long.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 24, 2018
    Moving to real consoles has paid off for Monster Hunter. The fifth installment is bigger, nicer and funnier (a bit). In addition, a number of free addons will extend the entertainment for another dozens of hours. [Issue#283]