• Publisher: SCEA
6.8

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Feb 20, 2015
    There is several things to like about the game. Firstly, its graphics. It is straight up amazing. Every place, character and location looks atmospheric, stunning and detailed. It is definitely the best looking game in this generation. Secondly, the voice acting is superb. It also has one of the most unique setting I have ever seen in recent years. However, besides these, most other thingsThere is several things to like about the game. Firstly, its graphics. It is straight up amazing. Every place, character and location looks atmospheric, stunning and detailed. It is definitely the best looking game in this generation. Secondly, the voice acting is superb. It also has one of the most unique setting I have ever seen in recent years. However, besides these, most other things fall flat. Firstly, The Order: 1886 try to get many things merged into one together, but none of them were really outstanding. Cover-based shooting is okay, but generic, weapons are overpowered, AI is relatively not smart, pathetic enemy types. Its stealth also feel half-finished. and I have no idea why they even include some puzzle-solving in this game. There is some great moment found in this game, but they are very often too far between. The game also feels linear, you are often forced to do what the game told you to do. You have no choice but to do so. Labeled as a cover-based shooter I actually spent a lot of the time watching cutscenes, which is acceptable. You walk and initiate another cutscene, well I don't really like that. This is also a cinematic experience, as what RAD has promoted. Therefore they add a lot of Quick Time Events (QTE). I do believe that it can help players to further immerse into the story. However, if every action required you to press button then it become something tiring. Most importantly, I don't found playing this game fun. It is straight up boring. The campaign last for 7 hours, which is short when compared with other games in the market. For a already boring game with such length, a multiplayer option would be awesome as it can effectively extend the game's lifespan. Unfortunately it didn't has any. It is really a pity because it have a lot of potential to become a 4-player co-operative games. Even the gameplay aren't done right, the story can still saves the game. It is pretty good and quite engaging. It also has a rich back story, However, for such as a short game, the story is under-developed and there is a huge cliffhanger in the ending of the game. Disappointing. The repetitive color tone can also be a problem. It has made every places feel like the same. Overall it is Crysis 3 again, another tech demo with superb graphics and pathetic length. While Crysis 3 gets its gameplay and multiplayer right. The Order didn't. To me it is surprisingly disappointing. It's hard to believe that the creator of Daxter and God of War will make such a under-performing game. If they planned a sequel (They probably does considering that cliffhanger), I hope they can make the game more rich in content. Expand
  2. Feb 20, 2015
    The Order 1886 is quite possibly the most visually impressive videogame ever created on console to date; unfortunately, it is also one of the most tedious experiences you'll ever play and a wasted opportunity as this title sacrifices gameplay ahead of delivering a cinematic experience that fails to captivate.

The game suffers from a dreadful design with a rolling format of cutscenes,

The game suffers from a dreadful design with a rolling format of cutscenes, quick-time events, occasional shooting and pointless walking around played out over a few hours. The pacing is dreadful and almost every element of the gameplay is bland and ultimately boring. The cutscenes are incredibly impressive but offer little to the weak narrative. The single-button press QTE's are painfully annoying and any combat events are few and far between. Exploring is restricted to narrow paths and limited interactions with the environment. You can pick up a few items which offer absolutely no meaning to the game and there is no real engagement with fellow characters in Victorian London as you walk around aimlessly to progress.

You will finish this game once, and once only in around 6 hours. There is absolutely no replay value here whatsoever. Two reasonable gaming sessions and your £50/$60 investment in this product will be reached with a pitiful return in terms of an engrossing experience and longevity. I'd really struggle to recommend this at even a third of the retail price as there is nothing to this product apart from staggering visuals.

Overall, The Order 1886 will go down as possibly one of the biggest wasted opportunities in gaming history. 5 years of development for a measly 6 hours of mundane gameplay is completely unacceptable. This product is merely a tech demo to showcase the future possibilities of the PS4 and offers absolutely nothing in respect to an absorbing title. The lackluster story, dreadfully generic mechanics and shoddy design structure render this game a major letdown and should be avoided at all costs unless you can borrow the game and even then; it may not even be worth your time.
  3. Feb 20, 2015
    I haven't finished it yet, so I can't account for length, but I've no bothers with the story as of yet. The setting, plot, characters, it's all got me invested so far. I can't lie that the characters aren't the most stand out and original, they're enjoyable and likeable and feel real, but I probably won't remember most of us them come next week. The setting is a pretty sweet premise, theI haven't finished it yet, so I can't account for length, but I've no bothers with the story as of yet. The setting, plot, characters, it's all got me invested so far. I can't lie that the characters aren't the most stand out and original, they're enjoyable and likeable and feel real, but I probably won't remember most of us them come next week. The setting is a pretty sweet premise, the Queens's Order of Knights preserve the peace in Victorian London from rebellions and the supernatural with technology way beyond it's time, created by Nikola Tesla. I've only seen some elixir in cutscenes that heals grave wounds instantly, and some of the characters are talking as though they've been around for centuries with no sense of humour, so that's got me wanting to know more. The plot so far is dealing with betrayal within the Order, and the rebellion possibly allying with half-breeds (half werewolf/human I think). I'm wiling to bet all this would make for a kickass immersive world RPG or film.

The gameplay though. It's Ryse with guns. Like, if you've played Ryse then play this, you will see exactly what I mean. One problem is that I'll be finally really be getting into combat, and then it'll yank the control away from me again for a cutscene that you can't skip or look away from incase there's a QTE, so it holds your attention hostage when it shouldn't have to. On the combat, it could feel weightier and grittier. They've already decided on creating a gritty world, but the combat doesn't match that. It feels the kind of game that would warrant a bit of gore, as it would have fitting context. Honestly though, it's the kind of third person shooter that ticks the boxes smoothly and that's about it as far as I've seen. There's honestly way too **** many QTEs, it's as though Ready At Dawn tried to translate some of their God of War experience to this, and they've brought the QTEs with them, not realising that shooters like this work best when the firefights are frantic, brutal, and organically paced by the player and AI. The button prompts break immersion like a **** and this game needs every bit of immersion it can get.

This game had the potential to be so much more, but they spent too much time making a tech demo instead of a game.
  4. Feb 20, 2015
    I find it hard to illustrate how good or bad this game is, on one hand it isn't the worst product on the market, yet on the other it's almost an embarrassment to video gaming as a whole. I'll give it credit for being occasionally pretty, the visuals can be quite nice even withe the FPS and all that. Next I'll give it a point for not being riddled with bugs like some other games can be, soI find it hard to illustrate how good or bad this game is, on one hand it isn't the worst product on the market, yet on the other it's almost an embarrassment to video gaming as a whole. I'll give it credit for being occasionally pretty, the visuals can be quite nice even withe the FPS and all that. Next I'll give it a point for not being riddled with bugs like some other games can be, so that's a positive.

Now onto the actual game, it's incredibly short. You are looking at around 2.5-3 hours of play time with the rest being cut scenes, some cut scenes are almost 45 minutes long. Straight. Fighting is basic cover, shoot followed by tons on QTE's. As has been mentioned there are even QTE sequences that are literally copied throughout the game. It's the same exact sequences.

This game has no replay value, no extra modes, no real anything extra. There are no choices, there is no exploring, it's an on the rails cinematic experience with poor FPS and a bad, poorly thought out story. Rent this game, beat it in a couple hours and you will still feel ripped off. This game is the definition of bad. It's the definition of a video game failure. The only reason I won't score lower is because it technically could have been completely broken and never looked pretty at all.
  5. Feb 20, 2015
    I'm giving this 2 points because of the visuals alone. They are great. The problem is that is all there is to the Order 1886. There is almost no gameplay worth speaking of, the story is cliche and not interesting, enemies are recycles, the characters are flat. Maybe the developers shouldn't have said "Gameplay is something that...it's a game, we can't get around it."

Well there

Well there certainly is little to do in this title other than the odd QTE or failproof cover based shooter section. For a game that was going to rely so much on its story that area is really poor as well. I assume the writers' penmanship was too bad for Hollywood so they went for the video game industry. Please don't repeat this.
  6. Aug 25, 2015
    This is what you get if you priorities graphics over everything else, game play is non existent and the who thing just turns into a boring experience after around 20mins.
  7. Feb 20, 2015
    So as you might expect i really don't like this game, don't get me wrong graphically it is a beautiful cinematic experience, but there lies the problem, i want a game not a movie, the graphics are the only thing in the orders corner, everything else about the game is bad, the pace is slow, the movement of your character is slugish and sometimes unresponsive, the QTE's are far to often, theSo as you might expect i really don't like this game, don't get me wrong graphically it is a beautiful cinematic experience, but there lies the problem, i want a game not a movie, the graphics are the only thing in the orders corner, everything else about the game is bad, the pace is slow, the movement of your character is slugish and sometimes unresponsive, the QTE's are far to often, the characters are not engaging, they give you no reason to care about them.

i played for around 2 hours last night i became bored very quickly, i mean just over an hour of that was cut scenes and QTE's.

Its a shame really because it is a very big missed opportunity for a game that had so much potential to be something more. my verdict the order 1886 doesn't just stumble out of the gate it face plants.
  8. Feb 20, 2015
    About 1-2 hours of actual user game play. If I wanted to watch a movie I would go to the theaters. Visuals are awesome and best I've seen on the PS4 but that does not make up for the lack of everything else. Seems like the game was made to get you too buy sequels as there really isn't an ending, more like a proof of concept or showing off of the engine. If this was on the PC i would waitAbout 1-2 hours of actual user game play. If I wanted to watch a movie I would go to the theaters. Visuals are awesome and best I've seen on the PS4 but that does not make up for the lack of everything else. Seems like the game was made to get you too buy sequels as there really isn't an ending, more like a proof of concept or showing off of the engine. If this was on the PC i would wait until its on a Humble Bundle! Expand
  9. Feb 20, 2015
    Finished the game in 7 hours.
    But how long did I really play?Between the cinematics, QTE's and forced walking/infiltration (because yes, the game decides how you are supposed to play, don't expect to run when they want you to walk or crouch) there is actually very few actual gameplay.
    Finished the game in 7 hours.
    Sadly, we get nothing else than endless corridors with wave of enemies to kill (terrible level design), hidden behind whatever is in front of us.The AI, simply isn't there.They either run at you, stay still, or try to hide with their head out in the open.
    There is absolutely no innovation.This is something you would expect in 2005, not 10 years later.

As for the scenario, it isn't much to talk about, for the same price you could buy yourself 10 books or so if what you're after is a good story.
    The Order is an empty shell, there is no gameplay and the story is passable.Boring is the best way to describe it.

As for the graphics, we know the new consoles are far behind computers.But who cares, because only gameplay matters right?
    Funny, because now all we hear are people discarding the gameplay completely and praising the game just for it looks.
    Personally, I'm not impressed at all.The black bars are the main reason there is little aliasing, and people would freak out if they were to become a new trend (plus they become quickly a nuisance in shooting scenes because you can't see enough).That and we have heavy blur (that you wouldn't have on PC) and below 30 FPS.Which is kinda sad because there isn't that much action going on in the screen and we're mostly inside enclosed sections so there's less things to process.
  10. Feb 20, 2015
    This game will be an embarrassment to anyone who enjoys video games, incredibly short, 3:0 and 2:0 of custcenes, linear to the extreme, very basic coverage system, very QTE in main parts, fights against the werewolf are repetitive, replay factor is zero, there is no what to explore, on Rails, bad story.
  11. Feb 20, 2015
    The Order 1886 is a movie with some game play on it, but it was advertised as a third person shooting game, not as a visual novel. Black bars letter boxing, a 5 hour campaign with 2 hours of unskippable cut scenes... don't buy.
  12. Feb 20, 2015
    The story is just boring with characters you don't care about, Game play there is hardly any, huge cutscenes that make you feel you are watching the End scene of the game almost from the start, pointless QuickTime events where there doesn't need to be any, as for any shooting the guns seem ridiculously overpowered and obliterate everything in sight without even having to bother about anyThe story is just boring with characters you don't care about, Game play there is hardly any, huge cutscenes that make you feel you are watching the End scene of the game almost from the start, pointless QuickTime events where there doesn't need to be any, as for any shooting the guns seem ridiculously overpowered and obliterate everything in sight without even having to bother about any aiming accuracy.
    The graphics seem to of been the priority of this game and everything else just an afterthought.
  13. Feb 20, 2015
    The graphics are decent....but thats all this game has going for it. Story is uneventful and boring, gameplay is linear and feels like its on rails, quick time events are plenty. Lack of content. NO MULTIPLAYER. Just an attrocious game over all. Does this game even qualify as a tripple A game? its more like a single F-
  14. Feb 21, 2022
    The worst game in the history of gaming. 75% of the game is filled with cutscenes, and there is no gameplay. One of the worst out there
  15. May 26, 2015
    Not a game, just a narrow tunneling movie. What a pity, even the story is not cool or surprising. The cut scenes are nice but boring, the shooting sequences are too short but good looking. This is not enough for a full prize game.
  16. Mar 10, 2015
    Alright look, I'm not going to repeat the tired excuse of giving the game a low rating because of its length or whatever. No, the game gets a low rating for being so terribly average, attempting to give a good deal of cutscenes and story, and yet making me care very little for any of the characters. And of course, the game looks beautiful. But, why care that a game looks so good, when it'sAlright look, I'm not going to repeat the tired excuse of giving the game a low rating because of its length or whatever. No, the game gets a low rating for being so terribly average, attempting to give a good deal of cutscenes and story, and yet making me care very little for any of the characters. And of course, the game looks beautiful. But, why care that a game looks so good, when it's so freaking boring. Expand
  17. Mar 2, 2015
    Couldnt care less about visuals when the **** game itself provides 3 hours of actual gameplay... 60 bucks fot this, biggest waste of money in my life. And the ending is dreadfull.
  18. Mar 3, 2015
    This is a game that proves, graphics are not everything in a video game. Basic mediocre shooting mechanics with so much QTE it sickens me. A poor story with a HORRIBLE ending, 2 boss battles in the game, both being Quick Time Events but what is even more insulting is that the final boss battle is a COMPLETE COPY OF THE FIRST BATTLE. I'm so disappointed in PlayStation gamers for saying thisThis is a game that proves, graphics are not everything in a video game. Basic mediocre shooting mechanics with so much QTE it sickens me. A poor story with a HORRIBLE ending, 2 boss battles in the game, both being Quick Time Events but what is even more insulting is that the final boss battle is a COMPLETE COPY OF THE FIRST BATTLE. I'm so disappointed in PlayStation gamers for saying this demo, and a **** demo at that, is worth $60! Took me 5 hours to beat the single player, yeah the multiplayer is ok but... wait... THERE IS NO MULTIPLAYER! Please, for the sake of your wallet, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! Expand
  19. Mar 7, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Order | 1886 is the best looking game ever. That's about the only real pro I can find for this game though, sadly. With bland generic gameplay that's hardly present at times, you're taken across this hallway ride of cutscene to cutscene to cutscene to walking segment to cutscene to QTE moment to cutscene to finally a part where you're truly in 'control', and The Order's interesting world ends up becoming flaccid in its presentation. The story has some rather interesting concepts like King Arthur's knights of the round table actually discovering and keeping the Holy Grail and its magical water, along with Lycans roaming amongst citizens, Jack the Ripper killings, and advanced weaponry from Nikola Tesla. However, the story and writing is forced down with cliches in both its characters, progression, and its 'twists'.

The main character is a piece of cardboard with a thick moustache and an army helmet whose only purpose is to be a gullible, gruff military man that drinks pure absinthe. His companions consist of a French baguette that can't stop following people of the female variety. A woman that's a grey, boring slab that can't handle being butt-hurt and is also a love interest. Because she is a main character at the protagonist side. And a woman. With lady bits. Making her the clear choice that you should want Gritty Moustachio to want that. Characters also include an old man mentor with just two days left until retirement with a fat red target painted on his face. And a generic nationalist basket of fish and chips soaked in tea that remains in the background of the story with half of his dialogue being, "I am the grey slab's brother. She is my sister. Oh brother, what is a brotherly brother to do. I am her brother after all. DID I MENTION THAT WE'RE SIBLINGS."

And not only that, but the main villain is Indian. That's about as much as I can say about her. She also has a sister. That's about as much as I can say about her too. Oh wait, she is also Indian. Their personalities are being Indian and telling Gruff McMoustache that they're the good guys.

And The Order's story just has so many cliches, I find it hard to believe someone was paid actual existent money to write it.

- The 'evil' rebellion turns out to be the good guys.
    - The old mentor dies before the pupil's eyes. (Pun intentional.)
    - Pupil goes out on a personal revenge spat.
    - In a story with Lycans, there's a twist that reveals vampires are in the story as well.
    - Vampires Vs. Werewolves
    - The rich, big corrupt corporation actually turns out to be corrupt.
    - Allies turns out to be corrupt.
    - Main character with good intentions is seen as the bad guy.
    - Character who suffers a fatal blow who we've already seen in a flash-forward in the beginning of the game as alive, turns out to stay alive. (Not so much a cliche, but rather a stupid attempt to make us feel something.)
    - Old evil-looking man who was in -order- of everything turns out to be behind everything.
    - Game ends with a gunshot-cut-to-black.
    - Everything is set-up for a sequel.

Most complain about the length of cutscenes or the gameplay, but saying that the story is great, when it really isn't. The plot of The Order | 1886 is that a vampire as Jack the Ripper is using wolf-men to make more vampires. It's dumb. It's dumb. It's so dumb.

But don't worry, gameplay's just as bland as the greyness of this game. Generic third person cover shooting with the only interesting guns limited to certain segments of the game, either with little unreplenishable ammo, or infinite ammo to use for just a few minutes during one segment of a fight. QTE dick punching. The illusion of choice of whether or not you can stab a monster in the face or dick. Sucky monster fight that's recycled to be the final boss fight. Hardly any Lycans that you kill, but wave after wave of expendable human men for you to mow down, ridding London of half its human population. No vampires to fight. Boss fight is isn't even the main villain. Main villain is only in like two cutscenes, both of which are never at the end of the game. Oh God, I've gotten off track. What was I saying? Oh forget it. It's late at night. I feel depressed but angry talking about this mediocre game. I'm going to bed.

tl;dr - The game is pretty but built like toothpicks with Elmer's glue. Combat is nothing special. Characters are boring. Story twists are cliche. Monster fights are sad rodeos and so few (maybe that's a good thing). And I beat it in just six hours and never want to replay it since it's just a set-up for a sequel. Don't spend more than twenty bucks on this game unless you want to get ripped off. Or just watch the 'movie' on YouTube for free. Have someone's sixty burnt dollars mean something if others can watch the shlock.
  20. Mar 12, 2015
    The visuals are certainly very nice, as is the design of the world, but it's wasted on a very poor game. It works at a most basic level, but it's massively limited and even seems to resent the fact it has to be played at times, being aggressively linear and full of quick-time events in place of some engagements. Characters are bland and while the story does get interesting, it ends on aThe visuals are certainly very nice, as is the design of the world, but it's wasted on a very poor game. It works at a most basic level, but it's massively limited and even seems to resent the fact it has to be played at times, being aggressively linear and full of quick-time events in place of some engagements. Characters are bland and while the story does get interesting, it ends on a terrible anti-climax after only an afternoon's solid play.
    Besides something to gawp at, there's next to nothing to recommend in The Order: 1886. It's certainly not worth a full £50. If you don't believe me, play Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and then compare it to and ideally rented copy of The Order: 1886.
  21. Apr 2, 2015
    Much like Destiny, The Order was dangled in front of our faces for two years with TV commercials, magazine ad's, and written about in gaming media outlets. Simply put, with The Order, the product that was advertised ended up being completely different than the finished product. Because The Order *looked* amazing, I bought it. I quickly learned the hard way that looks aren't everything whenMuch like Destiny, The Order was dangled in front of our faces for two years with TV commercials, magazine ad's, and written about in gaming media outlets. Simply put, with The Order, the product that was advertised ended up being completely different than the finished product. Because The Order *looked* amazing, I bought it. I quickly learned the hard way that looks aren't everything when it comes to making a good game!
    The game is essentially a movie which requires you to take part in. There are some difficult gun battles, but they're not difficult because the enemy A.I. is good; it's difficult because the game is poorly designed.

The fact that everything looks amazing in the game only makes it worse, as you are walked through each level with this "look-but-don't-touch" environment. In this beautiful-looking game, there are no rewards for exploration, and the collectible items serve no purpose to the story or the game. The Order is--by far & without any doubt, the worst PS4-exclusive title to date, which is why I'm so surprised to see almost 1,500 positive user reviews which are obviously dishonest, and should be ignored--just like this game. I honestly wouldn't recommend The Order to anyone. Sold entirely on hype and by way of aggressive advertising, The Order is as hollow as a pumpkin and shallow as a puddle!
  22. Apr 3, 2015
    This is the embodiment of what I hate about modern AAA games. All surface, no substance. It looks awesome, but that gets old in about twenty minutes. Generic story. Stereotypical characters. Same old gameplay we have seen a hundred times before. Glorified quicktime events. Lots of "press X to win" moments. I couldn't stand more than a couple of hours and the thought of returning makes meThis is the embodiment of what I hate about modern AAA games. All surface, no substance. It looks awesome, but that gets old in about twenty minutes. Generic story. Stereotypical characters. Same old gameplay we have seen a hundred times before. Glorified quicktime events. Lots of "press X to win" moments. I couldn't stand more than a couple of hours and the thought of returning makes me depressed. I wish I could have my money back. Expand
  23. nop
    Sep 23, 2018
    Yes, it is that bad.
    Yes, it is that bad.
    Not only it only has few hours worth of gameplay, but those not-so-precious hours mostly consist of long repetitive shooting-range-like firefights against seemingly endless hordes of the same dumb and fearless human enemies in a confined environment full of copy-pasted assets. So annoying and repetitive, you wish there were even less. Also has one of the worst stealth segments I’ve ever seen. And sudden QTEs to check that you didn’t fell asleep during the non-skippable non-interactive cinematic segments. Has QTE boss fights too, feeling like something you have done countless times already. There’s no real resolution to the story (which is kinda dumb), ends abruptly and feels like a first chapter of a much longer game which I don’t really want to see. Too bad, they could probably make something much better with these characters, setting and engine(which only looks good because it renders almost monochromatic picture full of instanced objects at < 30 FPS without anisotropic filtering in a reduced screen area thanks to those huge black bars).
    Seen it being compared with MGS, but it is lightyears away from mainline MGS games by the amount of content, gameplay features and the quality of the story. It only deserves to be compared to crappy FMV CD-ROM games from early 90s.
    A score of 5 or 6 would probably be more fitting, as it is still nice-looking & somewhat playable, but I decided to give it highest possible "negative" score, because my opinion is anything but mixed. I don't want more games like this one to be made, sorry. A huge waste of people’s time, money and of development talent.
  24. Jul 2, 2015
    This game feels unfinished, the graphics look great but the combat is straight up awful and the single-player campaign is way too short and boring to enjoy this game, if you're an experienced third-person shooter gamer, you can finish this game in less than 3-4 hours, it's just so laughable.
  25. Apr 11, 2020
    este juego me costo 1000 pesos mexicanos que son aproximadamente 60 dolares de su tiempo. yo tenia muchas esperanzas de este juego me acuerdo que incluso lo compre en preventa estaba tan emocionado por el y vaya error. el juego solo lo juegue 2 horas y me cago solo 2 horas basto para que lo odiara, un juego del montón que agarra mecánicas de otros juegos pero que lo hace peor. el juegoeste juego me costo 1000 pesos mexicanos que son aproximadamente 60 dolares de su tiempo. yo tenia muchas esperanzas de este juego me acuerdo que incluso lo compre en preventa estaba tan emocionado por el y vaya error. el juego solo lo juegue 2 horas y me cago solo 2 horas basto para que lo odiara, un juego del montón que agarra mecánicas de otros juegos pero que lo hace peor. el juego tenia unas barras negras como si fueran de una película. el juego mas aburrido que e jugado sin mencionar que la historia es una mierda y no tiene sentido. gracias a este juego ya no compro cosas en preventa Expand
  26. Feb 23, 2015
    This game is really bad. I'm not speaking about it's life time, about 5-6hours of "gaming". The main failure it's the gameplay. It's so dull and basic. All we do is walking and peacking at backgrounds which are impressives and then we have a cut-scene (God there are sooo many cut-scenes) and then some gameplay, where we shoot 2 or 3 weebos, and back again to the walk.
    I'm sorry, but this
    I'm sorry, but this kind of game is more about a movie, than a game. I had more fun doing the mission on MGS GZ, but that was 30bucks, not 70!!!
    So buttom line, we need to go back to the roots of gaming and stop having games like this ....
  27. X50
    Mar 9, 2015
    This is a movie not a game. The Order: 1886 is very short, have very cutscene, not have multiplayer, the history is weak, this movie its very very bad.
  28. Feb 26, 2015
    Do you like to play games? Don't buy this. Do you like to watch games? You'll probably like this. Gorgeous graphics are a fantastic treat, but it's hard to rate a game anything above fail when it's more of a CGI movie.
  29. Feb 22, 2015
    a bad poorly paced game with a half decent story, clunky cover system, shoddy stealth systems.
    play it for yourself, keep your expectations low and you might enjoy it
    i was really looking forward to this game but its bad.
  30. Mar 8, 2015
    Once again, style trumps substance in the AAA gaming world. There's no denying Order 1886 excels at the production values, including beautiful and detailed graphics, character and facial animations, voice acting etc. So much potential...

To a large degree though, all that came to naught, unfortunately. Even if you are not a seasoned gamer, you will recognize that the game rehashes a lot of mechanics and formulas from other recent game titles and countless movies as well (in terms of plot and narration). Dishonored, Last of Us, or Bioshock Infinite come to mind. The problem is that the game does not quite succeed to implement the aspects of the past well and fails to deliver enough of fresh and new material of its own.

Order 1886 is very linear, with the world that is only glimpsed at that even at the end remains very unexplored. Transitions from gameplay to cinematics are smooth on screen but forced in terms of pacing - dull and inconsequential exploration sequences are followed by generic shooting galleries, then some QTE mashing and a cutscene. Rinse and repeat several times and that's all you get. The plot isn't particularly original or interesting and has no notable twists. The game also isn't very long (cca 6 hours) and has an unsatisfying and ambiguous ending. As a whole, the game really feels like a prequel to a real thing but isn't really priced as one.

All in all, this game has high cinematic aspirations and assets to back them up so I suggest, instead of playing it, watch it as "let's play" movie and save yourself some disappointment and money.
  31. Feb 23, 2015
    The Order: 1886 -

The Order: 1886 -

Gameplay/Playability – I will probably lose anyone who tied themselves to this game prior to playing it, but this isn’t a game. Many people compare it to currently existing episodic releases from TellTale games as a Story driven game. The game strips gameplay for street cred and hipster flair. Meeting Tesla, being a Knight of the Round Table, the Steam Punk punk, Vampire & Lycan wars, Conspiracy theories (which are of course always true in gaming). The game felt like someone rushed to piece together all the big ticket games of 2013 + 2014 to make a sweet tech demo. There is shooting, which I personally couldn’t get behind as it all felt extremely scripted and a majority of it goes into QTE that aren’t about measuring reaction time so much as making sure the movie you watch is very intense. Im going to go by the fact that as far as a 6 hour game is concerned I only need my controller half the time and of the time I was using my controller it was very minimal, usually around 2 buttons or joystick only. – 4 (No bugs or fails just boring)

S – Sound quality was great but nothing amazing, no amazing songs, no amazing sound in all it was a very hit the AAA standard moment for them on this. – 6

Graphics – They are definitely next gen and definitely console. It’s pretty, however if this is a selling point for you then buy a PC otherwise you will be lacking on the greatest available graphics. – 6 Graphics are good but still console and still not anything awe inspiring when compared to last gen.

Story – Ugh… Can we just call it a self-indulgent rip off of most every video game movie in the genre it’s trying to hit? If you are up on Pop culture of any aspect of the game it will have not one original moment and as with all video games the writing is just a bit clichéd and saddening only because it is trying so very hard. – 2 It has a story and they attempted to make it flow and makes sense minus the drop off of so many thing.

Replayability – If anyone tells you this game has replay ability they are lying to you or they are trying way too hard to defend this game. Like all story driven games its really one and done. Most of the gunfights happen in narrow one room hallways or artificially opened corridors. It is very linear and defined, It would be like saying you want to watch a 6 hour movie again that occasionally pauses the movie for you so you have to push play again. Once is enough for me – 0

Though it averages close to a 4 Im docking 2 additional points for the developer’s reaction to criticism. The game is only 6 hours for them to say it was 10+ is an insult to gamers, it means they assume were too dumb to follow written prompts or so desperate to explore everything that we will check out floor grain textures for 4 hours. Also never compare steak to a video game, they are hugely different.

Final score 2 – Its more of a movie then a game. Check out a good Lets Player.
  32. Feb 22, 2015
    As your probably aware the run up to this games release was proceeded by a lot of debate over whether or not the short running time was worth the full asking price. To answer that question simply it's a 'no' but really it's the wrong question.

Developer Ready at Dawn responded by saying it was the quality of the game that mattered not the length. And the game is high in quality that is true but again that's still missing the point.

The question people should really be asking is, is the game any good? And as you've no doubt already seen my score your already going to know my answer to that.

Graphically the game is high in quality both technically and artistically, it looks great no doubt about it. But that's about all I've got good to say for this so called 'game'. For the record it took me around about seven hours to finish on normal difficulty but I was so bored I was glad it was short.

I'd guess more than half of that time was spent watching cut scenes. Literally entire chapters would pass without me ever having control over my character. And when you are in control it's strictly on the games own terms. If the game doesn't want you to run fast or draw your weapon it will pull the rug from under you by removing your control. Ready at Dawn don't want you to go crazy and shoot up their nonreactive game world. They would much rather you walk around sluggishly and slightly rotate pointless objects.

There is a couple of interesting weapons which threaten to be fun before there taken away from you the moment you get them but the gun combat itself is never anything more than average. Head shots feel strangely unsatisfying and enemies die almost as easily if you shoot them in the hand or foot. There is no puzzles, platforming is the same as in Uncharted (i.e. not real platforming) and anything more complex is just dumbed right down to a quick time event (i.e. press button on screen watch something happen not real game play).

Ridiculously boring cut scenes that drag on forever and mind numbingly dull item finding for the trophies kills dead any replayability The Order 1886 might of had. Oh did I mention the cut scenes are all unskippable? ...they are.

The Order 1886 plays very much like The Last of Us or Uncharted 3 which is what Sony probably had in mind. But even by the low standards set by those games this is a step backwards. A complete lack of depths or development. Literally nothing to the game play to engage the player.
  33. Feb 24, 2015
    The Order: 1886 prioritizes principles of film over that of game design and fails to implement either in a compelling way. The centerpiece of this work is a half-baked story marred with an excessive amount of cliches. Characters/relationships see little-to-no development and the narrative meanders about a weak plot that never concludes. In all, it felt like a series of increasinglyThe Order: 1886 prioritizes principles of film over that of game design and fails to implement either in a compelling way. The centerpiece of this work is a half-baked story marred with an excessive amount of cliches. Characters/relationships see little-to-no development and the narrative meanders about a weak plot that never concludes. In all, it felt like a series of increasingly predictable events and nothing more - it gives you very little to hold on to. However, for what it's worth, the voice actors do a fine job of articulating their lines and adding colour to an otherwise boring group of characters.

In terms of gameplay, The Order: 1886 feels like a chore - it feels joyless. In fact, I'd argue that The Order: 1886 would fair better without any gameplay. What little there is is simply fat. Shooting feels satisfying thanks to competent sound design but beyond that visceral response, there is nothing to the game. No mechanics are expanded upon after their introduction and very rarely will the developers ever play with concepts that they introduce to the player. It becomes incredibly repetitious. Enemies will almost always be funneled into an area directly in front of you and sit there jumping in and out of cover, waiting to be picked off. There is no large variation in weaponry, no incentive to gauge the appropriate distance for a confrontation, no out-of-the-ordinary level design to make you rethink your approach; it's just the same thing over and over again. It didn't justify its place in The Order: 1886 as a whole and could be cut without harming the core experience, which is probably the worst thing that you can say about a game.

It is very pretty though...

I'd recommend skipping this one. If visuals are all that you're after, then rent it or wait for a price drop; it isn't worth the $60.
  34. Feb 25, 2015
    The game is visually stunning, probably one of the best looking games i've played through. The sound design is on par with the visuals, the voice acting in particular is very well done. The combat is satisfying up to a point, the death animations and visible body damage (on enemies) make the fights a bit more brutal. Sadly though, that's really all the good that can be said about the game.The game is visually stunning, probably one of the best looking games i've played through. The sound design is on par with the visuals, the voice acting in particular is very well done. The combat is satisfying up to a point, the death animations and visible body damage (on enemies) make the fights a bit more brutal. Sadly though, that's really all the good that can be said about the game.

The story is quite good, but it is utilized to draw you into the eventual sequel and/or DLC more than to take you on a fulfilling journey, which is insulting. The ending is not really an ending at all, there is no closure, no finality, there is only the promise of more content in the future. The setting is amazing, but it is never really utilized as anything more than a map to shoot enemies in, which again is disappointing considering how well done the technology and folklore elements are utilized in the game. The characters have a load of potential, and some are interesting (well, they are teased to be interesting at the very least), but again they are only really utilized as friendly NPCs to soak up bullets and for the occasional party banter. The game misses the mark on almost ever conceivable category apart from the visual and sound design.

It's disappointing because I really wanted to love this game. The 'alternate history' time period, mythological elements, and characters offer so much potential, it is so disappointing to see the game be handled how it was. The relationships between characters are teased, but never fleshed out. The conflict that you're taking part in gets more interesting as it goes on, only to be metaphorically dropped at the end in order to ensure the need for sequels and/or DLC. The Order feels more like what a Telltale game aspires to be instead of a 'AAA Story-driven shooter'.
  35. Mar 14, 2015
    This game's rating is 100% honest and it reflects the real state of things in it. The graphics are good (can't say amazing since the abundance of post effects blurring everything), the lore is intriguing, but: the story is mediocre at best, the gameplay is repetitive and you get bored of it after 2 chapters. Finally, $60 for a game without multiplayer is too much. I hope the sequel will beThis game's rating is 100% honest and it reflects the real state of things in it. The graphics are good (can't say amazing since the abundance of post effects blurring everything), the lore is intriguing, but: the story is mediocre at best, the gameplay is repetitive and you get bored of it after 2 chapters. Finally, $60 for a game without multiplayer is too much. I hope the sequel will be great (if they learn their lesson ofc) since the lore and setting are very compelling. Expand
  36. Jul 30, 2018
    This game is teaching a lesson every video game developer all the over world,it's called better graphics doesn't mean better game.
  37. Mar 7, 2015
    Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse for video gaming, this thing hits the shelves. I am sad to say this game simultaneously is a new low point for video games, but will sell anyway because brain dead people will eat this **** up. The only selling point it has is the fact that it looks pretty, and boy does it look pretty, I have to give that. The problem is, once you get pastJust when you thought it couldn't get any worse for video gaming, this thing hits the shelves. I am sad to say this game simultaneously is a new low point for video games, but will sell anyway because brain dead people will eat this **** up. The only selling point it has is the fact that it looks pretty, and boy does it look pretty, I have to give that. The problem is, once you get past the graphics there is literally no reason to play the game. You can derive all the enjoyment of actually owning it by watching gameplay of it on youtube. If you already own a copy of The Order: 1886, trade it back to game stop IMMEDIATLY. That way you may get some dough to buy a game that has more entertainment value than throwing crumpled paper balls at a trash can across the room.

The gameplay is abysmal. You just sit down behind a wall for the entire **** game and plink away at boring enemies who you can't **** SEE because the graphics are so distracted with the environments that the enemies are completely indistinct.

It's a worse shooter than Call of Duty, its a worse shooter than Battlefield, It is so boring that I would rather hit my head against a wall for hours on end then sit down for another slice of SHOOT AT THE DUDE pie. The absolute worst that the AAA gaming industry has to offer.

I am ready to just say it, this game will bring about the end of entertaining video games through sheer bloody minded stupidity. I hope all the morons who gave this game anywhere close to a good review enjoy playing the same bog standard cover based shooters for all eternity.
  38. Feb 22, 2015
    Total time| 5 hrs 25 min - Gameplay 3 hrs 6 min - QTE 11:03 – Cutscenes 2 hrs 7 min. Rent this at Redbox or similar service. It is not a good value for the full purchase price. I finished the game at between 5-6 hours. I did not clock the time but found a breakdown that is at the top of the article that rings true. I bet the cut scenes cannot be skipped to add bulk to the "playtime". It isTotal time| 5 hrs 25 min - Gameplay 3 hrs 6 min - QTE 11:03 – Cutscenes 2 hrs 7 min. Rent this at Redbox or similar service. It is not a good value for the full purchase price. I finished the game at between 5-6 hours. I did not clock the time but found a breakdown that is at the top of the article that rings true. I bet the cut scenes cannot be skipped to add bulk to the "playtime". It is a beautiful looking game with a good premise and excellent voice acting. However the gameplay is repetitive, highly derivative, and been better in other games. The way things wrap up in a pretty abrupt manner leaves things open for a sequel. I have a suspicion that the developer bit off more then it could chew in creating content though which contributed to the brevity. Expand
  39. May 5, 2015
    it makes a good screenshot, but not a good game. Very good ideas on the story but poorly developed to an end only made to justify The Order 2. The time you're not watcing cutscenes you're walking around or making QTE. I really doubt you have an hour of real gameplay over the 5 hours of story mode. Collectibles add 0 to the story (not like bioshock, where you get to know Rapture thanks toit makes a good screenshot, but not a good game. Very good ideas on the story but poorly developed to an end only made to justify The Order 2. The time you're not watcing cutscenes you're walking around or making QTE. I really doubt you have an hour of real gameplay over the 5 hours of story mode. Collectibles add 0 to the story (not like bioshock, where you get to know Rapture thanks to the audio files) and the games has 0 replayability. In any mean would I recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  40. Feb 22, 2015
    I finished this game on hard in two 5 hour play sessons over two nights. I didn't sit here with a stopwatch timing individual breakdowns but it sure felt like I spent half of each of those sessions just sitting there watching cutscenes, not actually playing. I'm a quality over quantity kind of person and I'd gladly take a 10 hour long game with a superior story than a game that pads outI finished this game on hard in two 5 hour play sessons over two nights. I didn't sit here with a stopwatch timing individual breakdowns but it sure felt like I spent half of each of those sessions just sitting there watching cutscenes, not actually playing. I'm a quality over quantity kind of person and I'd gladly take a 10 hour long game with a superior story than a game that pads out content behind hundreds of busy work gathering side quests (see: Far Cry 4) but this game doesn't offer quality relative to the cost.

The story itself is a meandering mess that doesn't seem to know where it wants to go from moment to moment, let alone chapter to chapter. When it ends, it just ends. It's very reminiscent of Halo 2's single player campaign in that just as players feel like the page is about to turn and things are going to get better, it just drops to the credits. The gameplay is miserable as it's one half shoddy cover shooter that tries to be Gears of War or Bulletstorm and just fails and one half QTE button masher with typical "insta-fail" mechanics.

But boy is it stunning to look at! The order is the very definition of a flash-over-substance game and it's saddening to see how many people are falling for it, rating it highly based on graphics alone and ignoring the glaring gameplay and story telling issues.

In short, The Order: 1886 is a very schizophrenic game that doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. Sometimes it wants to be a shooter (and performs badly in that role) and sometimes it wants to be a cinematic story telling experience (which is also mediocre). I'm thankful I chose to get this from Redbox rather than buy it. Value is subjective and, personally, I wouldn't have paid more than $10 for this "experience".

Added: Be wary of the rampant rise in "10" score ratings whose reviews only exist to be contrary to negative reviews. Many of them come from new posters who have no prior reviews to their name. Such reviews are likely little more than astroturfing.
  41. Mar 12, 2015
    I regret buying a PS4 for this game. I'd be willing to forgive the lack of "gameplay" if the story was engaging enough. Sadly that isn't the case as the story is predictable from the word go. Proof that graphics alone don't make a game.
  42. Feb 23, 2015
    Graphically and artistically it is superb, it must be confessed. However, is this really what one would expect from a video game? I DONT NO. The developers have chosen to offer a gaming experience mixed with a movie, I respect that choice. BUT it would have taken advantage of developing the concept.

Currently we have: A graphically stunning game Proper gameplay ? ... And that's it

Currently we have:
    A graphically stunning game
    Proper gameplay
    ? ... And that's it

The game features a very limited life, count about 6 hours (3 hours of cutscenes, 40 minutes and QTE gameplay 2:20) to finish it. Add to that no replayability, with a very basic scenario. It's fine to offer this kind of experience, but why not have gone further experience with the integration of such dialogue choices leading to alternative endings? The AI ​​enemies and allies characters is completely at the picks. The only phase one we play is to search places (to get to a point highlighted and press a key to see the object, we may even move back and WOW ...) or what are gun-fight long enough and soon becoming tiresome. And finaly, I have to confess I'm french, and we have an horrible french dubbing, however, a poor dialogue writing can't give a good translation (I've watch the game in english to hear).
  43. Mar 3, 2015
    The game is bad because it's like a movie with very little gameplay, boring story very basic gameplay. Honestly the game has good graphics and excellent control, but this game definitely has nothing innovative or anything to do. The game is linear and finding little interactive and well, it is not necessary for your PS4 ...
  44. Mar 13, 2015
    Beautiful, overpriced garbage. Zero replayability. You will enjoy this game much, much more if you watch someone else play it. I personally could not finish it. I'm talking staring off into space type boredom. It's going to hit the bargain bin very quickly. Wait for it.
  45. Feb 24, 2015
    Graphics aside...this game is just very, very, boring...you mostly walk through the game between cut scenes, and every once and awhile your allowed to use your weapons, which i also very, very boring to use...sigh...i really wanted to like this game....don't waste your money on it...
  46. Feb 24, 2015
    The most gorgeous game I have ever played...but also the most boring game. No gameplay at all. It's as if I am watching a movie and sometimes have to push a button to proceed. Such a shame. I was afraid this would be the case though.
  47. Oct 30, 2015
    Beauty is only skin deep on this game.
    And once you get past that you are left with nothing but the bitter taste of disappointment at what was promised to be a good game but only became the latest reincarnation of Dragon's Lair.
  48. Feb 25, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me start by saying people give this game a 10 either aren't being honest or dont play/like video games.

I had high hopes for this game because I played and loved the PSP versions of the God of War games. The Order 1886 unfortunately doesn't even come close to those games.

The Order begins in the present with Sir Galahad being in prison. It makes a transition to the past and the "game" begins. From the start the gun play has problems. Often times you'll zero in on a head shot and miss even though you are aiming at the head, pistols seem to have better chances to hit its target. The gun fights are your very basic unoriginal take cover wait for dumb bot to come out of cover and fire. Repeat several times and you're done. When it comes time to fight the Werewolves its a lame QTE. There are a few some what platforming sections but unfortunately they are very small.

The game looks beautiful but it become apparent quickly that graphic is what this game is all about as whole chapters are nothing but you sitting and watching. Which brings me to the story, oh the story.

The story is about King Auther and the knights of the round table who through the magic of the holy grail have managed to live unnaturally long lives and heal themselves through the black water as they call it. You later find out that not all actually any of them but one is left over from that time period all the others have taken on the names of the knights. The Order fights wait for it Werewolves and Vampires. As has become the standard for some reason in recent movies, books and other media the Vampires control the Werewolves and are trying to spread all over the world.

The game is very short and has almost nothing to explore or discover leaving you to simple run the little maze they have set up as a stage to get to the end.

The Order is another game in a trend these days of games promising thing but unable or unwilling to deliver on them. Save your 60$ and wait for ot to hit the 5$ bin at gamestop.
  49. Mar 4, 2015
    The order is.... The order 1886 is ... disastrous game
    We need to be less conformist. Remember: Is a game , not a movie.
    Empty interaction with the game and quick time events is not a solution (well, qte destroy the interaction). The Protagonist is classic "cool guy" he not got any emotion, can kill everyone and later discover the rebelion is for a good reasons. But this not got effect
    The order is.... The order 1886 is ... disastrous game
    We need to be less conformist. Remember: Is a game , not a movie.
    The Protagonist is classic "cool guy" he not got any emotion, can kill everyone and later discover the rebelion is for a good reasons. But this not got effect in he.
    Easy game, you only need to search a good cover and camp here, killing enemy waves, AND THIS IS ALL THE GAME when you don't look a cinematic or play a annoying quick time event.
    The duration of the game is fine, because nobody wants to play more.
    The artistic design is good, i like to think this is a technical demo of the PS4.
  50. Feb 23, 2015
    Terrible game without a lot of action, a lot of talk but of 5 terrible chapters where did nothing the game is not worth the price asked. The game only has graphic and sound great quality, for those who want to watch and added the game instead of playing I recommend.
  51. Mar 22, 2015
    this game is garbage i play some ps4 games this sucks of them all and boring everything in this game even a story can do well for this game this might be the worst game 2015 so far
  52. Feb 28, 2015
    It's isn't even game, more cutscenes then gameplay, and it's only if you count QTE as gameplay.
    I rate this game around 3-4, but i rate it 0 cuz of peoples who chosen 10.
  53. Feb 28, 2015
    The simple fact is that I paid for a game and got a movie with some little bits of a game thrown in. Even worse is it was a "B" movie. I truly don't even feel that the writers were even trying. It is truly like "league of Extraordinary Gentlemen" meets "Underworld" with a twist of; well crap... I buy games to play games. This game is a one punch chump. A player will never have any need toThe simple fact is that I paid for a game and got a movie with some little bits of a game thrown in. Even worse is it was a "B" movie. I truly don't even feel that the writers were even trying. It is truly like "league of Extraordinary Gentlemen" meets "Underworld" with a twist of; well crap... I buy games to play games. This game is a one punch chump. A player will never have any need to ever put this game back in the system once they have finished it once. I'm not bothered by the money I spent but I will not get back the 20+ hours wasted, just hoping that somehow the game would get better along the way. Expand
  54. Feb 21, 2015
    I thought was a action game but instead I found out it was boring B movie. I had high hopes for this game, my ps4 is begging for more games. I have been really disappointed with all the indies, please Sony get it together
  55. Feb 28, 2015
    This game is boring and does not do anything original. To call it cinematic is to insult films. It is just a game to be on the PS4, there is nothing that makes this a console seller.
  56. Jan 1, 2017
    Very boring with good graphics. A lazy gamer might find it passable since it is mostly cut scenes - literally. I didn't believe it was to that extent until I bought on a PSN sale for $8 and saw it for myself. $8 is about right for the actual 3 levels of action you get and those parts were just OK
  57. Mar 28, 2015
    Amazing graphic, above average music, sound effect and voice, predictable story I have seen like a hundred times, dull game play, no character upgrade, no weapons upgrade, no inventory, every things is fixed, zero replay value, it just like a short movie with a lot of gun fighting.
  58. Jan 12, 2016
    0. The reason is one. Double standard in showing nudity. On the one hand there are no problems in showing male genitalia. This is another game that does that. On the other hand, female genital not be shown. It wasn't quite the game in history that showed women's genitals. It's a terrible double standard. In the order we go to a brothel and instead of completely nude female workers we have0. The reason is one. Double standard in showing nudity. On the one hand there are no problems in showing male genitalia. This is another game that does that. On the other hand, female genital not be shown. It wasn't quite the game in history that showed women's genitals. It's a terrible double standard. In the order we go to a brothel and instead of completely nude female workers we have completely nude male customers. Where is the logic? This is a typical procedure of feminist radicals. I will not support servants of anita sarkeesian and nazi sexism against males. Go home SCEA. Expand
  59. Sep 2, 2016
    es una puta mierdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  60. Dec 19, 2016
    The Order 1886 is really BAD, I mean it's like every other Wolfman story. The Story telling is bad, the length of this game is really small. People will say that its a 7 or 8 hour of campaign so why would anyone say it's a small game, if its 8 hours of story then 3 hours are of cut scenes. There's even a chapter in this game that only has a cut scene and no gameplay. There's one mission inThe Order 1886 is really BAD, I mean it's like every other Wolfman story. The Story telling is bad, the length of this game is really small. People will say that its a 7 or 8 hour of campaign so why would anyone say it's a small game, if its 8 hours of story then 3 hours are of cut scenes. There's even a chapter in this game that only has a cut scene and no gameplay. There's one mission in this game that you have to do it in the dark and its so dark that forget the enemies, not even I could see that where's my player.
    The only good thing about this game is that this is one of the Best Looking Console Game out there, The Graphics are just Amazing and no words to describe it. The design of your player and his looks and his movement and also the movement of his cloths are so detailed that its hard not to praise it.
    So the final verdict is that it would be highly recommended that you don't play this game because of poor story telling, lack of gameplay and really bad final boss fight.
  61. Mar 4, 2017
    An anemic story, coupled with less than thrilling gunplay, pointless gameplay changes midway through (instant death stealth portions which betray the rest of the style of the game) and annoying black bars at the top and bottom of the screen amount to this counterfeit and clearly inferior Uncharted game. This game is visually stunning, which only serves to show how lacking the rest of the game is.
  62. Feb 23, 2016
    The Order is a smart template for future fun installments, but the details need a lot of work. When it comes to getting this kind of game onto Next Gen hardware then, Ready at Dawn has, in more ways than one, done all the boring parts. The Order mimics Gears of War's core gameplay so closely that if it were published on Xbox One, it would have been immediately branded as a desperateThe Order is a smart template for future fun installments, but the details need a lot of work. When it comes to getting this kind of game onto Next Gen hardware then, Ready at Dawn has, in more ways than one, done all the boring parts. The Order mimics Gears of War's core gameplay so closely that if it were published on Xbox One, it would have been immediately branded as a desperate knock-off. Avoid The Order unless you see it in a used bin for under $30. Expand
  63. Oct 29, 2015
    STORY: 3/10
    GAMEPLAY: 4/10
    VISUALS: 10/10 SOUNDS: 7/10 MUSIC: 8/10 I’m a fan of narrative-driven stories, but if a game is going to make the story its focus the writing needs to actually be good. A cliched-filled meandering plot, combined with lackluster gameplay and a lifeless (if beautiful) world add up to a disappointing 6-7 hours. The length wasn’t an issue for me, it’s
    STORY: 3/10
    GAMEPLAY: 4/10
    VISUALS: 10/10
    SOUNDS: 7/10
    MUSIC: 8/10

A cliched-filled meandering plot, combined with lackluster gameplay and a lifeless (if beautiful) world add up to a disappointing 6-7 hours. The length wasn’t an issue for me, it’s actually a blessing in disguise; if it had plodded on for several more hours the game would’ve become intolerable. As it was, I basically just switched my brain off as the level design and combat sections never require you to think. You’ve seen it all before, and the action never once gets close to being stimulating or tense. There are no risks involved, the only variable being how long it takes to plow through the unimaginative AI enemies.

As an aside, one thing that bothered me throughout my time with the game was how lazy your character and his compatriots are. They never bother to distinguish friend from foe, and there is no non-lethal option. A frequent sticking point in the plot is that there are never any enemy combatants to interrogate, but the player is never given any other option.

As much as I enjoy good writing, games are an interactive medium. Unlike movies or books, the key factor in video games is that the player is driving the action. Making games that put story-first is fine and has been done well before, but involving the player is critical. If gameplay is going to be limited to QTEs and isolated snippets of combat, then there needs to be multiple branches to the story. The player needs to feel like they are in charge of their characters decisions if their actions are scripted and combat is unavoidable and rote. You can tell a fixed story in an open-world or you can have a multiple-choice plot in a closed-world, but you can’t have both. Player input in this game amounts to nothing more than a gimmick, an afterthought.

Again, all of this would be a moot point if the key feature (the story) that Ready at Dawn harped on was actually worth it, but it’s not. It’s the exact same kind of drivel you’ll find in any other AAA game. A laughable narrative combined with boring gameplay make for an unremarkable (and nearly unpleasant) experience. It’s just saddening that the best graphics to-date on console are wasted on this bore of a game.

PROS:

- Best graphics on console, bar none
    - Interesting art direction
    - Decent voice acting and excellent facial mo-cap
    - Textured and imaginative musical score
    - Relatively bug-free

CONS:

- Awful writing
    - Uninspired combat and QTE implementation
    - Brainless AI
    - Insta-death stealth segments
    - Lifeless world

Replay value: Marginal (Only if you want to replay the exact same story in the exact same way; no bonus game modes or multiple story choices, and the only collectibles are audio recordings that are negligible to the overall story.)
  64. Apr 15, 2016
    I thought the reviews were going to be wrong about this game even after i read them i just though 'hey it cant be that bad can it' and well i was wrong it is a terrible game, infact to call it a game is silly its just like a movie but with the occasional lets have you do some bits here, i spent most of my time feeling bored and unhappy whilst playing it, there was no oomf to shooting theI thought the reviews were going to be wrong about this game even after i read them i just though 'hey it cant be that bad can it' and well i was wrong it is a terrible game, infact to call it a game is silly its just like a movie but with the occasional lets have you do some bits here, i spent most of my time feeling bored and unhappy whilst playing it, there was no oomf to shooting the enemies. it has **** quicktime fighting events why cant i just smash sqaure to punch instead of these press sqaure or triangle at the appropriate time, it's boring. i would say its nice to look at if they didn't cut off the top and bottom parts of the screen but not they decided lets try make it look more like a movie, i don't think they realise they are making a game if you want to make a **** movie go make a movie not a video game that is basically a movie with half arsed gameplay. if im honest the most fun i had in the whole game was when i picked a lock that was the best part for some reason, but everything else just felt so dull. the game is so grey i know its set in the victorian times but i dont care it would have been nicer if they just coloured it all in brightley, infact it would have probably made it more playable. I watched the little making of the game before it came out and it spoke about how they wanted the way the werewolfs changed to look realistic and that was far more interesting than the whole game, why is that i don't know. In the end i never completed the game i found myself looking at my phone more than the game and decided that i cannot be arsed wasting time off work to play a bad game. Don't buy the game, dont even borrow it, dont trade it in, just smash it up or bury it in a park it's just a **** awful game i do not recomend wasting your time on it. Expand
  65. Mar 2, 2015
    This hurts giving out this score because I was so excited for this game, as it looked like it was taking the next-gen step of quality gameplay graphics blending in with quality cutscenes; and it does do that! However, The Order isn't a good game. In fact, "game" is pretty questionable in describing it. Game is suppose to be a form of playing, sporting, an activity or business, meaning theThis hurts giving out this score because I was so excited for this game, as it looked like it was taking the next-gen step of quality gameplay graphics blending in with quality cutscenes; and it does do that! However, The Order isn't a good game. In fact, "game" is pretty questionable in describing it. Game is suppose to be a form of playing, sporting, an activity or business, meaning the "player" is actually doing something. In The Order you're mainly watching cutscenes. The player agency is so far removed from this game that you even watch cutscenes of you walking to another place. Why on earth would they add extra cutscenes to show different point of views of someone walking? The one thing that the game did delivered on is the seamless quality of graphics from game play to cutscenes. The Graphics and detail are the best yet to be seen on next gen, but you'll won't be able to wander around the city on your own and explore as you only traverse hall ways or corridors.

It seems The Order has everything going for it to be a blockbuster game with its unique weapons; yet, the shooting is in the form of gallery shooting. Take cover and shoot the enemy as they pop up their heads. The problem with the shooting also is that the camera is in so close that you are looking over your third-person protagonist's shoulder. With this type of close screen shot you are unable to get a good view of the surroundings that you need to clear of enemies. I had werewolves charging right at me, but I didn't see them because my big head was in the way! I wished they would have pulled the view back so I could have decent sense of awareness. As you're walking around you'll find that you can't pull out your weapons, aim or waste rounds. You don't have that ability until the actual shooting gallery starts. You'll generally fight with one other partner, but they don't kill anybody. You'll have to do all the killing as their rounds mysteriously are in effective against the enemy. Fighting werewolves turned out to be incredibly disappointing as you use the exact same method in order to dispatch them one at a time. Shoot them so many times, quick-time-event. Sadly, you don't deal with them much in this game, as you'll spend more time walking corridors, opening doors, picking up and looking at objects. Yeah, it's definitely not a thrill ride.

I finished the story in about six hours on medium difficulty. I suppose if you don't mind not playing this as a game but as pushing buttons every once in a while to keep the story going, broken up by small amounts of gallery shooting, then you just might like this game. Since the "game" mostly wants to be a movie, I wouldn't pay more than $20 for this, or better yet, just rent it for the weekend. One thing is for certain, QTE must die in this next generation. I understand it's used to give cinematic quality to final boss battles, and those suck bad enough on their own. But, using QTE to play the whole game through just makes me nauseous.
  66. Feb 25, 2015
    A look but please don't touch game. More like a movie with beautiful visuals than a game. Very short story and no replay value. At most this game is worth a rent. Very sad considering how much went into this production...
  67. Jan 4, 2016
    I give a score 0. For two reasons. The game is too short and too cinematic. The second reason is sexism against men. Male genitals were shown and women do not. Not for inequality in showing nudity. The breasts are not the same level of nudity as the genitals. If you wanted to make a game for women and gays you succeeded. I will not be playing on feminist propaganda title. The players areI give a score 0. For two reasons. The game is too short and too cinematic. The second reason is sexism against men. Male genitals were shown and women do not. Not for inequality in showing nudity. The breasts are not the same level of nudity as the genitals. If you wanted to make a game for women and gays you succeeded. I will not be playing on feminist propaganda title. The players are males in the vast majority and we do not want gay **** Vagina in games is a too big taboo. It was a lot of games with penises in recent years. Why can not you show a vagina? It's sexist. It's a double standard. I hate it. Expand
  68. Oct 27, 2015
    Graphics are impressive, game play is a joke. The camera is unresponsive, the aiming is HORRID, and the enemies are basically pin cushions (it takes a stupid amount of damage to kill even basic enemies, and when they outnumber you 40 to 1 it makes it more than frustrating). Poor poor game design, linear and downright dumb.
  69. Feb 24, 2015
    If this can even be called a 'game' then it's the worst I have ever 'played'. It's basically has no gameplay, it costs £50-£60 and it only lasts 5 hours when you pace yourself as much as you can which is absolutely **** ridiculous,, (2.5 hours of the 5 are cutscenes) the developers clearly think gamers are deep pocketed morons. Visually uninspiring, loaded with QTE's (the most hatedIf this can even be called a 'game' then it's the worst I have ever 'played'. It's basically has no gameplay, it costs £50-£60 and it only lasts 5 hours when you pace yourself as much as you can which is absolutely **** ridiculous,, (2.5 hours of the 5 are cutscenes) the developers clearly think gamers are deep pocketed morons. Visually uninspiring, loaded with QTE's (the most hated mechanic in gaming for good reason). The game also suffered a MASSIVE graphical downgrade from when it was shown at E3. I am in genuine disbelief that shills on this website are rating it a 10. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Expand
  70. Feb 21, 2015
    Buckle up, make yourself a bowl of popcorn and prepare for a short gaming journey, featuring some of the worst traits a game can have like: bad pacing, unfinished and weak plot, forgettable characters, no replay value and everybody's favourite, loads of QTEs. To top it all most of the time you find yourself just watching it instead of actually playing it.

But hey, at least the graphics

But hey, at least the graphics are good, right?
  71. Feb 22, 2015
    This is insult to all gamers. This is not video game, this is interactive movie and even not very good one. Graphics is ok, but I have seen plenty better looking movies. It's extremely short (probably shorter than average bolywood movie), boring, and lacks of substance. I like the settings and before this game I couldn't even imagine that anything created in this universe could be boringThis is insult to all gamers. This is not video game, this is interactive movie and even not very good one. Graphics is ok, but I have seen plenty better looking movies. It's extremely short (probably shorter than average bolywood movie), boring, and lacks of substance. I like the settings and before this game I couldn't even imagine that anything created in this universe could be boring and washed out of fun. You should look at this, so called game, as if this was just technical demo. And this 60$ price, it is simple cash grab. No wonder they have forbidden to post any reviews before game comes out. Expand
  72. Feb 27, 2015
    Visually gorgeous, a graphical showpiece and a great aesthetic platform of what the console can do. Its also a short, lackluster and a disappointing game. The story fails to deliver and the game play is dull and holds almost no replay value. Make no mistake, you are buying this game for the graphics!!! If this is a sign of things to come where graphics take precedent over game play I'd beVisually gorgeous, a graphical showpiece and a great aesthetic platform of what the console can do. Its also a short, lackluster and a disappointing game. The story fails to deliver and the game play is dull and holds almost no replay value. Make no mistake, you are buying this game for the graphics!!! If this is a sign of things to come where graphics take precedent over game play I'd be worried. The actions feels dull, unpolished and half done with no real ambition. For a full price game which you will finish in a day, I say keep hold of your wallets. This eye candy can wait for a price drop!! Expand
  73. Feb 28, 2015
    Everything that can be said about this has already been said: It's just a movie with a tiny bit of interaction. I added a point for the amazing visuals and voice acting, but the fact that this is supposed to be a video game is straight up pathetic.

When we watched the trailer for the very first time, we noticed The Order mainly offers a "cinematic experience", they smack that fact into your face. We knew it would be a disappoint, as usual.
  74. Feb 28, 2015
    Is this a game or a movie? It has like 70% cinematic and 30% gameplay... I don´t recommend this title at all. I I took more writing this, than completing the game...
  75. Feb 22, 2015
    So I grabbed my popcorn and controller, and then set up my PS4 to play the most recently and greatly hyped movie this year! 5 hours is way too long for a movie, I went through like 7 bags of popcorn by the time I finally got to the end, only to think "I swear I seen this battle before" with the final boss. And funnily enough, I had! It was a direct copy-paste of a previous encounterSo I grabbed my popcorn and controller, and then set up my PS4 to play the most recently and greatly hyped movie this year! 5 hours is way too long for a movie, I went through like 7 bags of popcorn by the time I finally got to the end, only to think "I swear I seen this battle before" with the final boss. And funnily enough, I had! It was a direct copy-paste of a previous encounter with a random werewolf! Expand
  76. Feb 22, 2015
    Pathetic game, story deja-vu, too linear basically you can finish the game easily without even dying, pathetic QTE boss fights, even android games have more playing time than this game and they charge £50 for it seriously are you taking the **** piss ?
    Plus also I'd like to add that these paid 10 reviewers reassuring themselves that they paid for a good game but in fact they were mugged like sheeps. No wonders why we are flooded by DLC's these days and half finished game, because casuals will always pay just mug them more, plus also how do you compare this piece of **** to uncharted seriously it's like comparing a **** to a perfume.
  77. Feb 26, 2015
    Let me say this: BELIEVE THE BIG NAME REVIEWS ON THIS GAME. Make no mistake, The Order:1886 is a NOT a next-gen game at all (only if it was released 10 years ago).

No multiplay, really short single player campaign (5 hours). No replay-ability. 50% of the game is QuickTime events (like you are watching a really expensive, really bad movie). There is no love for any of the characters.

Rent it !!!!!!
  78. Feb 26, 2015
    This is gameplay-wise like a game from Telltale without a griping story.

It gains (some) momentum at about 4 hours and ends abruptly one hour later after about half the promised story told.

Not nearly worth the current price, but buy it now, play it through and resell it for 10 bucks less.
  79. Feb 27, 2015
    There is no doubt that this game is absolutely beautiful. The biggest problem is that this game isn't much of a game. It is much more a movie or an interactive film. The entire point in a game is something that sucks you in and game play that excites you and makes you loose track of the time. This "game" does not do this. The story and acting are amazing but I'm writing this reviewThere is no doubt that this game is absolutely beautiful. The biggest problem is that this game isn't much of a game. It is much more a movie or an interactive film. The entire point in a game is something that sucks you in and game play that excites you and makes you loose track of the time. This "game" does not do this. The story and acting are amazing but I'm writing this review focusing on the video game aspects such as game play. The shooting and movement is solid but it is so incredibly boring shooting people that all look the same. This game was actually very boring. For long sections you can just put the controller down. This is an amazing work of art but it is not an entertaining video game. Mostly cut scenes or walking around. This game is not worth full price. If future video games are going to be presented like this, an immersive film, I fear for the video games I love that you can play for hours on end. With no replay value at all this game has a very short life. Expand
  80. Mar 25, 2015
    My god!
    Its ok to make a game hardly interactive, but I'm seriously falling asleep just reading the characters bio.
    They are all just cliches of characters we have seen million and million times.
    How can a studio have so many talented people work for them and such a great engine, and then falter at the most important point!
    CONTENT! Why is it the same thing every time?
    BORING!
  81. Nov 27, 2017
    I just bought this game for very little.
    The game looks very nice, like a movie. But, and it's a HUGE but, there is no game play, just lots and lots of cinematics.
    I just bought this game for very little.
    As it is, most games have way too many cinematic cut scenes. I hate them all unless they are VEY short. When I buy a game, I want to play a game, I don't want to sit there twiddling my thumbs, I want immediate and constant action!!.
    This game has very little playable story line, very, very little character development. I love Steampunk movies, just not when I am supposed to be playing a video game.
    Definitely one to miss, I wished I had!!
  82. Jul 26, 2017
    It looks really nice, but everybody saying it's "visually beautiful" or a "graphic masterpiece" is ridiculous. It looks nice, but this game is incredibly boring. The story wasn't great nor compelling; you don't care what happens when you are playing because it doesn't make you. The loooong cut-scenes, forced conversations where "all actions are disabled" slow down the already SLOW pacingIt looks really nice, but everybody saying it's "visually beautiful" or a "graphic masterpiece" is ridiculous. It looks nice, but this game is incredibly boring. The story wasn't great nor compelling; you don't care what happens when you are playing because it doesn't make you. The loooong cut-scenes, forced conversations where "all actions are disabled" slow down the already SLOW pacing of this game, and for something that is so nice to look at, they sure don't let you see much of it. You spend most of your time in sewers or tight quarters on your exceptionally linear path. I won't ruin the ending, but it's just as lame as one could anticipate. Expand
  83. Aug 11, 2018
    No sense believing the 10/10 scores because obviously the game is not that. Set up an account finally to comment on this game. Its basically a 3 hour cutscene with 3 hours of gameplay. The problem in the gameplay is that half the time its a cutscene and it doenst tell you when to fight. I feel pity for the poor gamers that paid full price for this garbage. Play the game in the fewNo sense believing the 10/10 scores because obviously the game is not that. Set up an account finally to comment on this game. Its basically a 3 hour cutscene with 3 hours of gameplay. The problem in the gameplay is that half the time its a cutscene and it doenst tell you when to fight. I feel pity for the poor gamers that paid full price for this garbage. Play the game in the few cutscenes the developers force you through. The game is not worth any amount of money. So glad I dodged the bullet when it first came out.
    Otherwise, graphic are amazing, story is 2/10, gameplay 2/10.
  84. Feb 22, 2015
    This game is awful, don't pay for it. See they sell you the story, they interest you with the story, that's how they trap you. And I say trap because when you actually play this 'Game'. The gameplay is dumbed down to the point that the enemies have half their bodies hanging out of cover, they don't try to dodge or hide from you. Werewolves slap you, knock you down.. then RUN AWAY!!! WTF!!!This game is awful, don't pay for it. See they sell you the story, they interest you with the story, that's how they trap you. And I say trap because when you actually play this 'Game'. The gameplay is dumbed down to the point that the enemies have half their bodies hanging out of cover, they don't try to dodge or hide from you. Werewolves slap you, knock you down.. then RUN AWAY!!! WTF!!! They allow you to not just live, but get back up, dust yourself off, call your girlfriend to tell you you're ok, smoke a cig, then they come back and try to Knock you down again. and yep you guessed it! if you don't kill them they'll knock you down and do the same thing all over again.

When I was younger, I probably would've liked a game like this, when you were a kid and things were easy, you didn't have to think much, just grabbed a controller and derped. That's what this game is, there is no challenge. even when you put it on hard difficulty, you have slow motion and you can heal full health in 1.5 seconds with their auto regen system cuz too lazy to put any other healing system in... Maybe have the guy drink blood? water? stimpack? health kit? auto-regen health... W...T...F... and you heal up from red screen to healthy in 1.5 seconds. So easy!. The enemies don't try to flank you, so yes. you can take a bullet, hide... heal. do it all over again. EASY.

2 points, .5 for Nicola Tesla, .5 for Victorian London. 1. for graphics. -8 for horrible gameplay and them calling this a 'video game'. I wouldn't recommend this to anybody besides nobody
  85. Feb 22, 2015
    This game has made me not want to digitally download anything anymore because I would be returning this next week due to the lack of content and gameplay, and zero replay value. It should be more in the $20 range, not $60. They spent a ton of time perfecting the visual piece of it, and they did do a nice job with that. The weapons were also creative, but there's just too not enoughThis game has made me not want to digitally download anything anymore because I would be returning this next week due to the lack of content and gameplay, and zero replay value. It should be more in the $20 range, not $60. They spent a ton of time perfecting the visual piece of it, and they did do a nice job with that. The weapons were also creative, but there's just too not enough content to ask that price. They (allegedly) strung together the cinematic scenes with the (limited) game to make it a fluid experience. To me, it was because they just didn't have enough gameplay, so they mandated you watch every cut scene because otherwise, if they didn't, the game would play through in probably 4 hours. Honestly, It's like you're not even there most of the time. It has to be like 40% cut scenes. The great next gen games allow you to go almost anywhere and interactive with the environment. In The Order, everything is roped off or unreachable. It's pretty annoying. It has a "look, but don't touch" feel to it. You're better off buying a full length animated film for $10. Expand
  86. Feb 26, 2015
    Yeah its good but not 60 dollars good wait for the price to drop and buy it. For me it is a 20 to 30 dollars game max!! The story is good the gameplay is good but its too short and with no extra content you can teel that the developers didnt even tried it to put more effort. What a shame could be an awesome experience.
  87. Feb 25, 2015
    I will just get to the point. Graphics are great! The game itself is Boring! My roommate walked in while I was playing and thought I was watching a new movie. That is exactly what it felt like, as it only seems like half of the game is actually playing. For sixty bucks I expect to play not watch. I should have waited instead of pre-ordering this game. I think I will in the future. NotI will just get to the point. Graphics are great! The game itself is Boring! My roommate walked in while I was playing and thought I was watching a new movie. That is exactly what it felt like, as it only seems like half of the game is actually playing. For sixty bucks I expect to play not watch. I should have waited instead of pre-ordering this game. I think I will in the future. Not worth it if you don't know how the game is going to play. I bought the game Friday and was finished Saturday!! What a waste! I am now back to playing the only other game I feel worth anything and that's just because it has multiplayer on it. If playstation 4 is offering this sort of entertainment in the future that will just be sad. Perhaps I will take a break from gaming...maybe actually go to a movie! Expand
  88. Feb 20, 2015
    Let me star with the following fact; Evolve > The Order: 1886. If you want a great looking interactive movie with shooting sequences more frustrating than Gears of War, this game is it. I really don't know whats going through developers heads now days, with Destiny, Evolve, The order, PS3 remakes…
  89. Feb 20, 2015
    The cutscenes are long, STUPID quick time events, the game is linear there is no exploration. The characters are forgettable. the gameplay is nothing new what so ever it is every other generic third person shooter. The graphics may be great but it feels like they were trying to make a movie then just added some gameplay. Its also pretty short of a game, I completed it in 6 hours, whichThe cutscenes are long, STUPID quick time events, the game is linear there is no exploration. The characters are forgettable. the gameplay is nothing new what so ever it is every other generic third person shooter. The graphics may be great but it feels like they were trying to make a movie then just added some gameplay. Its also pretty short of a game, I completed it in 6 hours, which isnt TOO bad. And some might say a short game is good for people with not alot of spare time, which I can see. Overall is just such an average shooter that I cant see myself playing it ever again. Expand
  90. Feb 22, 2015
    paid 70 euros for a terrible b-movie. Decent graphics ruined by the awful black bars, awful 30 fps, awful story, awful shooting, awful dialogues, awful AI, awful ending.
  91. Feb 21, 2015
    Man i love all this damage control all the fanboys are tying to give. the game is only 5-7hours, with a subpar story leaving plot holes as far as the eye can see, with an underwhelming ending full of QTEs, just like the rest of the game. 2/3rds of the game is nothing but cutscenes. barebones 3rd person shooter gameplay and nothing else to do after youve completed the shallow story. atMan i love all this damage control all the fanboys are tying to give. the game is only 5-7hours, with a subpar story leaving plot holes as far as the eye can see, with an underwhelming ending full of QTEs, just like the rest of the game. 2/3rds of the game is nothing but cutscenes. barebones 3rd person shooter gameplay and nothing else to do after youve completed the shallow story. at least ryse had a fun co-op multiplayer after its sub par campaign, that's much better than this over-hyped mess. Expand
  92. Feb 22, 2015
    What a let down of a game. yeah sure it was very good looking but it was too linear felt more like the gameplay of ps2 game rather than a ps4. If it had advertised itself as a play along film then fair enough but this was not the case it was portrayed to be a new start to the next gen of combat games but the combat was broken down to two types of enemies the ones who stick to cover and theWhat a let down of a game. yeah sure it was very good looking but it was too linear felt more like the gameplay of ps2 game rather than a ps4. If it had advertised itself as a play along film then fair enough but this was not the case it was portrayed to be a new start to the next gen of combat games but the combat was broken down to two types of enemies the ones who stick to cover and the ones who run you down this is not what I expect from the A.I of a modern game. over all it left me feeling cheated out my money and frustrated that i played along with a movie. Expand
  93. Feb 21, 2015
    A cornerstone for the meltdown of modern gaming. The Order 1886 is a living breathing cliche that ditches functionality and basic fundamental in favor being a pretty vehicle for low level story telling. Cloaking a severe lack of enjoyment behind high budget presentation, and uninspiring design principles.
  94. Feb 21, 2015
    An engaging, unique and thoroughly exciting thriller.

The Order 1886 has been copping a lot flack by reviews, I would like to pint out a few things to help YOU decide if this is a game for you... If you prefer constant action, gameplay and the bullets flying (and that is totally cool btw) then you need not keep reading, go play Call of Duty or Gears of war. However if you enjoyed
    An engaging, unique and thoroughly exciting thriller.

However if you enjoyed games like Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead and Life is Strange but also love a bit of third person action then this a game you will want to check out.

ready at dawn have created a wholly unique piece of gaming art, it is completely story driven- with a lot of QTE's splashed around that don't feel lazy- they help progress the story, as this is exactly what the game has set out to be- a long, cinematic period movie.

The story itself is full of mystery, intrigue and lore with amazing characters who you come to truly care about by the end of the game.

The graphics are stunning, almost life-like in parts but it is the atmosphere and progression, just like a film that really got me engaged.

I see The Order: 1886 being seen as a 'fail' by mainstream audiences, however I also see this as a cult classic for the niche market of gamers who enjoy a great tale of history and revenge.

I am giving a perfect 10 because for what it is, that is exactly what the game deserves. It is epic beyond words.

Again, I can not stress enough if you are looking for an action title, best save your $$.
    But if you are willing to try something new, have an open mind and are not bogged down by the pretty unfair negative press you will be pleasantly surprised by what i would call a masterpiece of cinematic gaming.
  95. Mar 2, 2015
    wouldn't have been that bad if it weren't for that stupid shoulder camera.stop using that sort of camera in games,it's annoying....go back to a centered one.
    the shoulder camera is fine for when you shoot behind a cover,or aim down the barrel...but it's NOT fine when you are moving around,it's confusing and annoying
  96. Feb 21, 2015
    Very well sony,a PS4 game,in 800p,worst than Nintendo.
    PC WINS>
    XONE WINS> 60$ to play this piece of trash,6 hours of Cutscenes + 3 of gameplay. You will finish this game once, and once only in around 6 hours. There is absolutely no replay value here whatsoever. Two reasonable gaming sessions and your £50/$60 investment in this product will be reached with a pitiful return in terms
    Very well sony,a PS4 game,in 800p,worst than Nintendo.
    PC WINS>
    XONE WINS>
    60$ to play this piece of trash,6 hours of Cutscenes + 3 of gameplay.

97. Feb 21, 2015
    You can say that this is a "interactive movie", you can say that this is a "technical demo", but you can´t say that this a game.
    It has almost zero game play. Just a bad copy of gears of war. It is full of QTE. It only lasts 6 hours (less if you discount the time you are watching cut scenes), you cannot skip cutscenes, it has zero replay value, a plot full of cliches, no multiplayer...
    The only thing good in "The Order : 1886"? The graphics. But you can´t make a good game only with graphics.
    "The Order: 1886" has no soul. Is just a bunch of good graphics designed to show the capabilities of the Playstation 4, but this is not a game.
  98. Dec 4, 2015
    THIS GAEME IS BAD.... bad gampley bad desiged enviroment bad designed boss bad everthing it has nothing of good you can eaven intercact with stuff and is full of useless stuff like looking at things at the strees bad perspective bad history bad shooter exeprience bad weapon design bad bad bad bad this game is made with the ass and you cant eaven do things by your self the game just saysTHIS GAEME IS BAD.... bad gampley bad desiged enviroment bad designed boss bad everthing it has nothing of good you can eaven intercact with stuff and is full of useless stuff like looking at things at the strees bad perspective bad history bad shooter exeprience bad weapon design bad bad bad bad this game is made with the ass and you cant eaven do things by your self the game just says press x press tirangle its a pice off ********** Expand
  99. Mar 11, 2017
    Una aberracion de juego, injugable, cortisimo,ni siquiera graficamente me ha gustado.Mientras juegas puedes irte un rato donde quieras, pues todo son cinematicas dentro de una historia simple.
    Me lo pase con mucha paciencia y el dia siguiente lo vendi.HORRIBLE
  100. Mar 5, 2018
    This game is THE prime example of 1) why a game needs good gameplay, but does not necessarily need good graphics or cinematics and 2) the flaws with console shooter 'duck and cover' mechanics.

In short - the game simply isn't fun to play. It is almost insulting to call this a game, it is more an interactive movie. The main reason for this, the game continuously shoves cinematic

The main reason for this, the game continuously shoves cinematic cutscenes down your throat, which you cannot skip or influence in any way. This might be acceptable at the start to explain any game mechanics, in a tutorial, maybe after a big boss fight. But in this case, it is overflooded with them and it destroys the experience. You shoot some enemies, solve a simplistic riddle - cutscene. Over and over and over. Just horrible.

Let's come to the quality of the cutscenes, the storytelling - uninteresting in every way. The characters are badly written, in some cases caricatures of normal people. The decisions and script is hollywood at its worst, cheesy, boring, cliche. Sometimes it even gets weird, so weird and unbelievable in its story, a reminescent of the best worst movie of all time "The Room". You will laugh when it wasn't intended, because it is so hilariously bad.

As a movie, this game also would have been a huge failure.

The gameplay - The fighting scenes start ok, but detoriorate very fast, as you constantly need to hide behind stuff. Pure 'cover' mechanics also at its worst. There just isn't much to do. You press cover, wait for enemies to appear, press shoot to aim and shoot them, get hit, back to cover. Repeat ad infinitum.

There is one thing only that did not make this a total desaster - the graphics. They look exceptional for an early ps4 game. But. They are also bland. Brown and gray colors dominate everything, but not in a good way. Where other games like Bloodborne creates athmosphere from the used color palette, the Order just misses to do so. It is 'art' in a scientific way, it simply won't be immersive sadly.

All in all, this is, by far, the worst 'AAA+' game I ever played. I felt ripped off, cheated, to be lured in with graphics only to realize what a monumental failure this game is in any other aspect. I prefer playing 25 year old Wolfenstein 3D to this, because it actually is somewhat fun to play.

One last thing to mention - the overly positive reviews are simply a mockery. I get thet people have different tastes, different realities. Sometimes they feel the need to justify a purchase, sometimes they have no broad frame of reference and so on. But still. As a sane person and gamer, you simply cannot judge 8 hours of bad gameplay and cinematics (that's basically all the time you will be able to get out of this game) for 60$ starting price as good or even phenomenal. Not with this gameplay and this cinematics. That is outright lying. Those reviews are bought, no doubt in my mind (sometimes very easy to spot when they write something dumb like 'don't listen to the negative critics' - yeah, right...)

Mixed or average reviews - based on 94 Critic Reviews

1. Games Master UK
    May 6, 2015
    A limp story, repetitive combat and lack of agency take the shine off a great technical achievement. [May 2015, p.64]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Apr 22, 2015
    Visually it's everything you could have hoped for, but the compromises required to reach that fidelity, and moments of narcissism as a result of it, are hugely damaging. [Apr 2015, p.81]
  3. Apr 6, 2015
    Although the storyline invokes weighty subjects like colonialization and socioeconomic inequality, it fails to address these topics in any substantive way. Ditto the game’s dialogue, which contains flourishes of eloquence that founder because, as pleasing as the words are to the ear, the actions they affect have no bite.