- Summary: The Sinking City is an adventure and investigation game set in an open world inspired by the universe of H.P. Lovecraft, the master of Horror. The half-submerged city of Oakmont is gripped by supernatural forces. You’re a private investigator, and you have to uncover the truth of what hasThe Sinking City is an adventure and investigation game set in an open world inspired by the universe of H.P. Lovecraft, the master of Horror. The half-submerged city of Oakmont is gripped by supernatural forces. You’re a private investigator, and you have to uncover the truth of what has possessed the city… and the minds of its inhabitants.… Expand
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
The Sinking City - Detective Gameplay Trailer
Jun 25, 2019The Sinking City is paradoxically teeming with life and things to do while atmospherically making you feel alone and unsafe. The revamped investigation systems rely on your own powers of deduction and the combat is both tense and nerve-wracking. Save for the graphical issues, The Sinking City is heart-pounding, unrelenting, and addictive. Its powers of immersion and fear are not to be overlooked, and fans of eldritch horror, Cthulhu, and things that go bump in the night will definitely be satisfied playing in the dark.
Jul 7, 2019When The Sinking City focuses on its every Lovecrafian tale and lets you play the paranormal sleuth, it gets under your skin and manages to keep you hooked. As soon as it turns into a survival horror game with shooting mechanics, however, the result is bad enough to make you want to stop playing all together.
Jun 25, 2019It's hard to resent a game as unapologetically dweeby as The Sinking City. It's an old-fashioned, bookish mystery rooted in the mythology and mysteries of a pulpy, cult-favorite mid-century American novelist--an effort not without charm, to be sure. But no matter how fond your affection for H.P. Lovecraft and the idea of a wide-eyed, slow-burn literary adventure, the poor design, cliched writing, and lumbering pace make this far more tedious than delightful, let alone unsettling or terrifying.
Jun 26, 2019I can’t believe how low the reviews are for this game! I have played it, non-stop, for the last three days, and I popped on here to see howI can’t believe how low the reviews are for this game! I have played it, non-stop, for the last three days, and I popped on here to see how close to 100 it was. I love this game!! I am not a huge Lovecraft fan, but I am very thankful I bought this game without looking at the reviews. This game takes chances, and it definitely takes some getting used to, but I am so glad to see a game that doesn’t just copy Far Cry or The Last of Us.… Expand
Jul 29, 2019Best contemporary Lovecraft game there is, maybe the best one ever.
This game does not deserve all these low marks.
Pros: - Close to 8thBest contemporary Lovecraft game there is, maybe the best one ever.
This game does not deserve all these low marks.
- Close to 8th summit tabletop game with all the investigation mechanics, but deeper
- A lot of dialogues that RPG fans will like
- Tough plot choices, several endings, different quests outcomes
- Not too much combat, almost every encounter is a challenge
- Strong survival element in the first half of the game
- Creepy atmosphere that does not get old, lovely town with interesting lore incorporating different Lovecraft stories
- Really interesting main plot
- clunky combat and few monster types
- too much travel between locations (gets better when you get fast travel, but then you wait for load screens)
- clone sidequests houses
- open world could be much more rich with just a little effort from developers who could add merchants, more item types, add more exploration incentives, random encounters
- some sidequests are fetch ones and get repetitive, but there are some absolute gems and unexpected plot twists
- main character has zero charisma and could use more back story… Expand
Jul 5, 2019Do not listen to the negative reviews. This is one of the best game I have ever played. It's so good that even after playing Resident Evil 2Do not listen to the negative reviews. This is one of the best game I have ever played. It's so good that even after playing Resident Evil 2 remake it took me only 20 minutes or so to be completely absorbed by the mesmerizing atmosphere and excellent writing.
63% and 6.4 user score??? Are you kidding me??? After Sekiro and Resident Evil 2 remake this is the 3rd best game I have played this year. Spend the entire weekend without getting bored or tired. Go get this game, do yourself a favor, you'll love it. People who are downgrading this game, have mostly stopped playing early on feeling somewhat disappointed with not very polished graphics and mechanics, but those flaws are not a big problem. You'll get past them very quick and start enjoying the story and suspense. Awesome Lovecraft game. We need more.… Expand
Jun 30, 2019The Sinking City is an action-adventure game surrounded by a certain mysterious veil in which the known H.P. Lovecraft horror is implemented.The Sinking City is an action-adventure game surrounded by a certain mysterious veil in which the known H.P. Lovecraft horror is implemented. Developed by Frogwares and published by Bigben Interactive, this game gives a great deal of mind trembling puzzles where vile beasts from the depths will try to stop you from finding out the mysteries behind the hysteria in the flooded city of Oakmont.
While you explore this massive city as the protagonist, you will come across a big variety of people all trying to find their way through this ongoing madness. When solving cases for the civilians, make sure to look around in the eery environment you are in as it all gives small clues to what has happened in Oakmont. This game is all about making choices which eventually will lead to a different way to solve a case and get that little step closer towards revealing the truth.
I must admit the graphics aren't that great, especially for the current gen consoles. The load times can take a while but to make it more bearable, the developers have put important notes in the loading screens, notes that help you remember what has to be done. If you see a wylebeast, be sure to just run away and come back more sneakily since the combat is pretty bad. Aiming goes really sluggish and melee looks like you're trying to hit something close to your face rather than in front of you.
If there's no problems in these things for you then there might me the occasional lag when the game auto-saves, doesn't take long but it doesn't go unnoticed. If that still doesn't scare you away then go ahead and explore this sunken city filled with riddles and beasts (or people) as the game won't show you where to go. You'll have to get the good ol' map and find where to go and what to do.
It's a bit overpriced but I recommend buying it if slow-paced, story driven games with an eery mystery in them strikes your fancy. Or just wait for the price to drop.… Expand
Jun 26, 2019Honestly I'm really disappointed, especially because this game costs $75 in total. There's a 0-day dlc, and the game is very suboptimal. ItHonestly I'm really disappointed, especially because this game costs $75 in total. There's a 0-day dlc, and the game is very suboptimal. It seems pretty buggy, and its graphics quality doesn't look anything like the trailer, which makes me feel extremely disappointed. I can't give this game a really worthy score, and I really wanted to. At least a 3, or a 4 but I genuinely couldn't.… Expand
- By user score