• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jan 24, 2017
  • Also On: PC
8.5

1. Jan 26, 2017
    Pure fun and nice tats. It's like playing a traditional Yakuza movie film with you in it as the main character. I bought this game on day 1 with Resident Evil 7 and Tales of Berseria, and I am always conflicted as to which to spend more time on. So fun and funny at times with a good story (one of the few games where I don't pause to "skip" the story scene.)
  2. Jan 24, 2017
    It hasn't been a long time since Yakuza 5 released on NA. And Yakuza 0 improves it in a lot of ways. Nagoshi-san is one of those developers that knows how to improve a franchise over the years.

3. Jan 24, 2017
    Bringing back the fun in video games

Bringing back the fun in video games

The Yakuza series deliverers yet again with a awesome addition. This time it's set in the 80s. The plot follows both Kiryu & Majima and is executed really well. While the first two chapters are a bit slow the rest of the game is so much fun. The Main story is really dark and grim but is balanced really well with the side content. I really love the crazy side of the game with all the weird subplots and mini games. They make the game a unique experience. Definitely recommended for both newcomers and fans.
  4. Jan 24, 2017
    Yakuza - this is one of the best series of games for all the existence of the gaming industry! This game is simply gorgeous. Not nearly turned bad, but on the contrary has become more colorful and better.
    Story+
    Main Character+
    Gameplay+
    Graphics+
    Music+
    Magnificent quests+
    Be sure to play this masterpiece!
  5. Jan 24, 2017
    One of the best games in the "Yakuza" series.
    Charismatic characters and villains, nice story, a looot of substories, funny minigames, cool battles with a mature battle system, wonderful soundtrack and the nice taste of 80s.
    The graphics is a little outdated but at least it run at 60fps. It will take you 20-30 hours for the main story and around 100 hours if you want to take the
    One of the best games in the "Yakuza" series.
    The graphics is a little outdated but at least it run at 60fps.
    It will take you 20-30 hours for the main story and around 100 hours if you want to take the platinum trophy.
    And being a prequel will be enjoyable even by the new comers! You have absolutely to play it :D
  6. Jan 24, 2017
    There are some dissapointing and tedious moments when playing Yakuza Zero...
    But these are blown away by the amazing story, gameplay and locations. Must pick this up if you enjoy a good story, characters, and a fun brawling gameplay thrown into the mix. With funny optional side missions, arcades, a great game to throw yourself in and get immersed into the world of jakuza 1988.
    And as
    There are some dissapointing and tedious moments when playing Yakuza Zero...

And as this is the very origin of the series this is recommended for anyone willing to jump into the series, and with jakuza 1 and 6 coming soon It is a good choice.
  7. Jan 26, 2017
    There's a reason why even in Japan Yakuza 0 is considered the best game in the series by far. Yakuza 0 improves on all the gameplay mechanics from the previous games and has by far the best story out of all of the games in this franchise. And since this game is a prequel to the series it is also the best starting point for new comers. The only issue I have with this game is that it startsThere's a reason why even in Japan Yakuza 0 is considered the best game in the series by far. Yakuza 0 improves on all the gameplay mechanics from the previous games and has by far the best story out of all of the games in this franchise. And since this game is a prequel to the series it is also the best starting point for new comers. The only issue I have with this game is that it starts off very slow both story and combat wise, but once the story starts rolling and you unlock new moves it becomes a blast. Expand
  8. Feb 24, 2017
    Great flashback Yakuza game, Glad to see this game on the PS4. I've played others series to understand this game. But I gave it a 9 because of the same repetitive enemy spawning and same fighting. I'd pay $60 if you like the series.
  9. Jun 28, 2017
    My first game in the Yakuza series, and fortunately one that is basically the first in the canon. Setting up the characters and the overall story for the other games which are supposedly being re-mastered for PS4 (and possibly PC?). This game was absolutely exceptional. It was a mix of 80's nostalgia, coupled with old school beat 'em up gameplay, and an edgy story which borders onMy first game in the Yakuza series, and fortunately one that is basically the first in the canon. Setting up the characters and the overall story for the other games which are supposedly being re-mastered for PS4 (and possibly PC?). This game was absolutely exceptional. It was a mix of 80's nostalgia, coupled with old school beat 'em up gameplay, and an edgy story which borders on ridiculous and painfully real at times. The game is entirely in Japanese, so if you don't like reading subtitles this might not be for you. I didn't mind, though, due to the exceptional voice acting and translation work. Despite being a fictitious rendering of the Yakuza, I found myself doing a lot of reading about the real-life Yakuza after playing this game and found that the game doesn't hit too far away from home in that instance. I'm definitely looking forward to playing the other games in the series. Expand
  10. Mar 28, 2017
    This Yakuza is well paced and has a great story to follow once you get in to it, as always with this franchise there are tons of mini games to get stuck in to some of which I spent hours on just by them selves. its set in the 80s so its a nice change from the normal Yakuza games as well as is probably one of the better written Yakuza games on the story side of things. That said there isThis Yakuza is well paced and has a great story to follow once you get in to it, as always with this franchise there are tons of mini games to get stuck in to some of which I spent hours on just by them selves. its set in the 80s so its a nice change from the normal Yakuza games as well as is probably one of the better written Yakuza games on the story side of things. That said there is only really two locations and after Yakuza 5 I was expecting a larger and more diverse game.

Also to note is that the story is well directed and its ties in a lot of loose ends if you have played all the other Yakuza games so its a must play for any fan of the series.

On the combat side of things Majima is a lot more fun of the two characters and his levelling system is richer and more point to actually levelling him up and his fighting style is fun to use. Kiryu's level tree is a bit pointless at times as some of the fighting styles other than his default are boring and clunky and there is no incentive to level up them up.

The is the only bad point I have about this game and now the franchise, the combat is getting stale they need to start making the AI smarter and having a more skilled approach to combat, somewhere between a tactical fighter like Bloodborne/dark souls with more rpg elements and what it is now would be the best thing ever for this series. There are no real consequences to fighting poorly or well, you just loose more health and have to use more consumables. As it stands you can almost just mash the hits buttons and pretty much win every fight without thinking. But if you like the other Yakuza games like I do its just something you live with, but it would be nice if they fixed this.

Overall not the best Yakuza game (I think 5 was) but still a very fun game. I threw about 40 hours in to it to complete the main story, most side quests and the larger mini games.
  11. Apr 21, 2017
    Great game. For any newcomers to the Yakuza series on the fence about trying this game out, go for it as this is the most fun i have had with a game in years and you will not at all regret it.
  12. Apr 21, 2017
    The Japanese renaissance continues. Along with Persona 5, Nier: Automata and Nioh, Yakuza 0 is another fantastic purely one of a kind experience from Japan. It is a true job well done from Sega. There may not be anything completely new here if you've played other games in the series, but even judged on it's own or as a prequel. Yakuza 0 is bonkers, pulp nonsense. And it is downrightThe Japanese renaissance continues. Along with Persona 5, Nier: Automata and Nioh, Yakuza 0 is another fantastic purely one of a kind experience from Japan. It is a true job well done from Sega. There may not be anything completely new here if you've played other games in the series, but even judged on it's own or as a prequel. Yakuza 0 is bonkers, pulp nonsense. And it is downright artistic more often than not. While not truly an open world game - it's often very linear, the game delights more with the details and side activities than with the overall game design. There may be a peppering of long in the tooth JRPG random battles as you walk through the streets. There may be Guitar Hero style karaoke sing alongs. And there may be button mashing combat encounters, all of which you may have seen hundreds of times in dozens in other games, but none with the dry humor or atmosphere of Yakuza. I could make a list of all the small frustrations you could encounter in the game too, but this game is almost above any sort of focused criticism. Yakuza is just a good time and it maybe even one of the best gangster tales told in the last 15 years too. Expand
  13. May 24, 2017
    A brilliant action game with rpg elements which requires levelling up by spending money earned through selling and completing missions and side quests aswell as being dropped by enemies.

A brilliant storyline and deserved sequel/prequel spawned from the ps2 and ps3 series of games. The graphics are brilliant with bright colours of the streets of japan and musky dark tones of side

The graphics are brilliant with bright colours of the streets of japan and musky dark tones of side streets and a living breathing city chock full of enemies and non playable characters.

The characters are fun in the sense that they are interesting and is a perfect starting point for newbies of the yakuza series to get to know them aswell as a pleasant revisit to those who are fans of the other games in the series.

Gameplay is not too hard consisting of attacking and blocking and weapon usage which changes with each players different play styles unlocked during the course of the game and can be played to your play style e.g fast or hard hitting or a mix of both.

Gameplay value is great as there is many hours of story and sidequests and plenty of playable minigames to play.

I highly recommend this game to any action game fan you will not be dissappointed.
  14. Jun 10, 2017
    I played Yakuza 1 on the PS2 during the team it released and it was quite an unusual game for me. It differs a lot from your stereotypical Anime influenced Japanese games and followed a realistic art direction. It was enjoyable, fun and then story was quite interesting. I never played any of the other Yakuza games that followed despite hearing great things about them. Releasing almostI played Yakuza 1 on the PS2 during the team it released and it was quite an unusual game for me. It differs a lot from your stereotypical Anime influenced Japanese games and followed a realistic art direction. It was enjoyable, fun and then story was quite interesting. I never played any of the other Yakuza games that followed despite hearing great things about them. Releasing almost always on the west at least a year after their Japanese release, the games followed the familiar but successful formula.

The series has a big cult following and once you try the game, you will understand the reasons. The series offers a small Japanese open world, brawling fighting mechanics, and quite the mixture of side quests that ranges from helping, tracking down and engaging NPCs in interesting conversations.

Yakuza 0 is a prequel to the first game and more than any other prequel out there, it does THE BEST to get you into the world of the story and establishes the characters in a very interesting way. The story is deep and interesting and is told in a very very well paced settings.

The game's score is nothing short of superb. Relying if rock and Japanese instruments, the game has a set of very interesting scores that keeps getting better.

I was pleased with the game, it took me a week to finish it and I never ever came close to the 100% completion mark, due to work, I couldn't spend more time.

SEGA does really produce the best outta Japan.
  15. Jul 30, 2017
    This game is a full on masterpiece and one of the most underrated games on the ps4 as this has some of the most fun I have experienced in years with an engaging story that knows how to handle it's tone so well. If you see this buy it and you will not regret it.
  16. Mar 25, 2017
    Amazing game, love the franchise. They really know how to entertain with storytelling, dialog and minigames. However, the engine they use is getting rather dated and they really need to update it to meet higher standards of gameplay and graphics.
  17. May 16, 2017
    Wow. I had never played a Yakuza game before and after finishing with Yakuza 0 I kind of realised I've been missing something great my whole life. The main story is so well written, the Japanese voice-acting is amazing, the cutscenes are beautiful, the sub-stories are hilarious. I can't remember the last time I was laughing my ass off this much with a video game. The gameplay is superb asWow. I had never played a Yakuza game before and after finishing with Yakuza 0 I kind of realised I've been missing something great my whole life. The main story is so well written, the Japanese voice-acting is amazing, the cutscenes are beautiful, the sub-stories are hilarious. I can't remember the last time I was laughing my ass off this much with a video game. The gameplay is superb as well since you have six different fighting styles to choose from which gives you variation.

I just finished the main story in 40+ hours while doing substories here and there that crossed my path and I was only on 26% completion. If that doesn't give you your bang for your buck than I don't know what will.

All I can say now is that they got a new fan in me and I can't wait for Yakuza Kiwami, which comes out in August 2017. DAY ONE PURCHASE FOR SURE!
  18. Aug 19, 2017
    Just amazing. I have just finished this game and honestly I am now wanting to play the whole series because this installement was just so good. The story is one of the best in a game I have played, with some very well done characters and the gameplay is so fun. Just give it a chance when you have the time it deserves all of it.
  19. Mar 15, 2017
    I give Yakuza 8 cause i loved the experience of playing in Tokyo and Osaka during the 80's. Stories (main and side quests) are awesome, as well as the characters interacting in them.
    However, the graphics are a little bit outdated and the combat system is too often resumed by spamming one or two buttons.

Nevertheless I can only but recommend Yakuza if you want to play a Japanese game, with a japanese setting and with the possibility of having the japanese voices subtitled in english..
  20. Jul 9, 2017
    I like Ryu Ga Gotoku series, and this one is one of the best games of it. Ryu Ga Gotoku 5 was a good game, but there was too mush management, it was casual (substories markers on the map for example), and Haruka part... Ryu Ga Gotoku 0 shows us how characters become who they are now and doing it the right way.
  21. Aug 1, 2017
    This is the game that made me realize I don't need a new Shenmue. Sure I'm looking forward to Shenmue 3 but the truth is, the Yakuza series is what Shenmue was but with even more to do...maybe even too much to do.

This is the origin story for the main characters in Yakuza, so Yakuza 0 is the best place to start. Graphics are very nice. Best looking Yakuza game. Gameplay, as always,

Graphics are very nice. Best looking Yakuza game.
    Gameplay, as always, is amazing. The combat is just so good and over the top.
    Soundtrack is epic.

I could go on.

The moment you start seeing how many things you can actually do in this game, you'll feel pretty overwhelmed. So many mini games that Yakuza has games within games.

Buy this game if you want the manliest game ever made.
  22. Mar 9, 2017
    I wish I could go further in this great saga which with us for very recently with this game recently released and for my opinion if the Ps4 continues to receive exclusive of as much quality as the games of this year will be an incredible year.

A great game with a great theme and history, recommendation 9/10
  23. Apr 29, 2017
    Games like these where you actually be very happy to pay $60

I dn't even know where to start about how perfect this game has in many aspects but i will try to make it short and with no spoilers. 10 - The storyline: In the past few years we couldn't really find a game with a good story except games like the witcher 3 maybe but yakuza 0 proves that it actually has the best if not one
    Games like these where you actually be very happy to pay $60

10 - The storyline: In the past few years we couldn't really find a game with a good story except games like the witcher 3 maybe but yakuza 0 proves that it actually has the best if not one of the best storylines in the gaming industry especially for the fans who played the other yakuza games.

10 - Voice Acting: Yakuza is one of the very very few games that people who hate japanese voice acting and prefer english dub wouldn't either be disappointed with this game because you can actually feel the emotions of every character and you will care for every character because the game actually cares.

9 - Sountracks: The soundtracks are very well done, especially in some boss fights and you will feel those 80 vibes when you go to places like disco's, karaoke's etc...

10 - Characters: Like i mentioned before,every character is important in the game and the villains are one of the best introduced which will make them very likeable too.

9 - Gameplay: The gameplay is pretty amazing especially compared to previous entries in the series and there are 3 fighting styles for both main characters. Some might find it pretty repetetitive but there is an ability later on which makes you avoid random street fights.

9.5 - Graphics: For a game which has low budget compared to other triple A titles, the graphics are pretty amazing especially in cutscenes...not to forget this was originally on a ps3 and later on released on ps4.

10/10 - Overall: Imo this game is worth buying a ps4 alone and you will never regret my words, i woud even recommend playing it before titles like Uncharted 4. Hope everyone enjoys this wonderful game before the release of Yakuza Kiwami which is the remake of yakuza 1 on August 29 2017.
  24. Nov 4, 2018
    Details:8
    Characters:9
    Must have !
  25. Jul 16, 2018
    When I first started playing Yakuza 0 I wasn't sure what to expect. Chapter 1 was mildly interesting and I wasn't sure why everyone was so very much excited about this series. As I continued playing though the game ramped up quickly and the protagonists Kiryu and Majima really started to become fleshed out.

I'm not even sure how to explain this game. There is so much to do in Yakuza 0

I'm not even sure how to explain this game. There is so much to do in Yakuza 0 and everything for the most part is fun from doing the main story to playing baseball or sharing your phone card collection as you come the street for all the hidden ones to oh so much more. I would do a chapter and then hit up mini games to break of the seriousness of the main story which gets ridiculously good quite quickly and becomes one of the most amazing crime dramas I have ever seen!

From a game that started off as unsure why everyone loved so much to becoming one of my favorite games speaks volumes to this series. This game made me a fan for life and I have the long journey of obtaining the rest of the series to see how everything turns out.

I love this game, and I love you Kiiiiiryu-Chan!
  26. Sep 16, 2018
    My first Yakuza I have great experience more than I have expected. I love the story very much both main quests and side quests. I would say this game has the BEST WRITER EVER. Main story is intense and has a lot of plot twists and side stories, some are hilarious, some made me shed tears. Yakuza 0 is the epitome of how to create great story for a game. GREAT MINI GAMES are also one thingMy first Yakuza I have great experience more than I have expected. I love the story very much both main quests and side quests. I would say this game has the BEST WRITER EVER. Main story is intense and has a lot of plot twists and side stories, some are hilarious, some made me shed tears. Yakuza 0 is the epitome of how to create great story for a game. GREAT MINI GAMES are also one thing that need to be mentioned. This game contains several great mini games and some are super fun, such as Cabaret Club, Real estate business. Seriously I spent 60 hours+ into the game, more than half are from mini games and side quests. It is safe to say that Yakuza is one of the best games in term of making mini games as well.

Combat system is good, not the best though. It is more like Street fighter in 3 dimensions, rather than other action games like Batman. The way enemies attacking you is kind of random, but it is still fun nonetheless. There are many cool animations when you use heat gauge, especially with new environment or equipment. It is subjective one but those who like fighting should like this one as well.

Next is cutscenes. There are many cutscenes here. and again ONE OF THE BEST CUTSCENES game I ever saw in my 20 years gamer. Facial expressions look so real, they thrill me every time. Voice acting is top notch too.

One last thing I have to mention is the soundtracks. This game has ones of THE BEST SOUNDTRACKS ever. You may not notice while you playing the game because you may be busy with fighting but if you check out Youtube, there are tons of soundtracks and most of them are great, especially Kuze song.

In conclusion, YAKUZA 0 strongest strengths are STORY, MINIGAMES, CUTSCENES and SOUNDTRACKS. Combat is good too but it is subjective one. Game length is long. No negative comes to my mind at all. Definitely deserves my 10/10 score. However, this game has a ton of texts to read and sometimes long cutscenes, so those who don't like reading, might not enjoy as much. I will look forward to play KIWAMI 1 and KIWAMI 2.
  27. Oct 28, 2017
    Excellent story! Addictive gameplay!!! This game was a hell of a ride and such a great experience. This was the first Yakuza game i've ever played. Now I'm up for the challenge to complete them all.
  28. Nov 23, 2018
    Giving any media a 10/10 score always seems so ridiculous when I see it anywhere. In any media, you want to be entertained, sometimes you look for depth of story or some emotional connection. In Yakuza 0, there's a little bit of everything and it takes almost none of it seriously. The exception being the main story line, which is packed full of drama. It's such a bizarre juxtapositionGiving any media a 10/10 score always seems so ridiculous when I see it anywhere. In any media, you want to be entertained, sometimes you look for depth of story or some emotional connection. In Yakuza 0, there's a little bit of everything and it takes almost none of it seriously. The exception being the main story line, which is packed full of drama. It's such a bizarre juxtaposition between the wackiness of the side stories and the seriousness of the main story. Somehow, it works incredibly well. If I had to rate Yakuza 0's main story, I'd give it a 9, it was compelling and interesting and despite the heavy use of cutscenes and dialog, I still never lost interest.

What sets it apart from most media, for me, is the enormous amount of fun things to do in the game both during the story and after the story. I have spent more time playing mahjong and dancing at the disco than I have in the main story. It's packed full of fun content and worth every penny. For a medium that ultimately boils down to whether you'll have fun, I can't imagine anyone not finding something here they will love and keeping coming back to.
  29. May 15, 2018
    I wish the game had way less exposition and was fully voice acted through out the whole thing. But the story, game-play, characters, and side activities were all fantastic.
  30. Nov 22, 2017
    Well what can I say, I refer to metacritic for game reviews based on user opinion rather than corporate reviews, the latest call of duty reviews showed the country mile of difference between user and company reviews on all platforms! Based the reviews below I delved into this new world of Yakuza. At first I was apprehensive, thought perhaps I had made a bad decision, but I kept on... andWell what can I say, I refer to metacritic for game reviews based on user opinion rather than corporate reviews, the latest call of duty reviews showed the country mile of difference between user and company reviews on all platforms! Based the reviews below I delved into this new world of Yakuza. At first I was apprehensive, thought perhaps I had made a bad decision, but I kept on... and oh my days, this game has immersed me beyond reproach. The story is epic, I could have never guessed the way it would turn out. The side stories, the mini games, the club management, the real estate. The laughs I had at the telephone dating. Sega have outdone themselves, it is such a shame a game of this calibre has no media coverage in the west. Yes the graphics are not the best and not cutting edge... But if you want pointless eye candy that looks good with no substance then purchase one of the many other titles currently available. For a newbie Yakuza player, this has been amazing, entertaining, funny, addictive and immersive. Sega, a hat tip from my childhood with Sonic, and a hat tip as an adult for Yakuza... In a word, brilliant!! This game can only deserve a 10/10 from me. Expand
  31. Jun 3, 2017
    While 2 still has the best story, 0 is otherwise the best Yakuza game to date.

While 2 still has the best story, 0 is otherwise the best Yakuza game to date.

First and foremost, Majima is instantly my favorite character to play as ever in a beat 'em up, all of his styles mesh well, and are frenetic and fun. His breaker style is the best style in the entire franchise. Kiryu is less fun than any other entry, and I don't think his Beast style really fits the character, but it makes sense he's not quite as good being so far before, and his other two styles are otherwise great.

Like any Yakuza game, the story is top notch crime/thriller, this franchise really excels at this genre, even though there can be some dissonance between the seriousness of the main story and everything else you do, it all still feels right. And you will have PLENTY else to do, circuit cart racing, bowling, pool, darts, 4 different arcade game, karaoke and disco mini-games that could be their own games, a management side-quest that could also be made into a full game in it's own right, and so much more. You will not be left with a shortage of things to do in Yakuza.

The fighting system is still the best this side of actual fighting games, while games like Arkham and Sleeping Dogs offer a bit more crisp of combat, Yakuza surpasses them in sheer variety. Combos with each style, plus heat moves, plus weapons, so much fun.

Another great addition to the franchise, next up, Kiwami.
  32. Nov 3, 2018
    Manliest game ever. You'll love it.
    Manliest game ever. You'll love it.
    Jokes aside, the fun gameplay, the numerous side activities that can be incredibly hilarious and addicting, the amazing story and presentation alongside the awesome soundtrack, incredible voice acting and characters makes this game a delight. I went into this completely blind and what I got was much much better than I initially thought it would be. If what I described sound right up your alley and you don't mind long, but engaging cutscenes, give this a try and you won't regret it.
  33. May 1, 2018
    This game got everything, action, great story and what I most liked funny substories and moments coming just outta nowhere, I really asked myself WTF lol, you can just walk on streets and always something comes :) havent seen any same quests/side quests, you really need to know to make game like this, Im glad this game came out of Japan to rest of the world and thx God speech is originalThis game got everything, action, great story and what I most liked funny substories and moments coming just outta nowhere, I really asked myself WTF lol, you can just walk on streets and always something comes :) havent seen any same quests/side quests, you really need to know to make game like this, Im glad this game came out of Japan to rest of the world and thx God speech is original Japanese like it should be with English text, they didnt ruined it with English speech like in nazi movies where nazis speak English :) Expand
  34. Nov 20, 2017
    One ofthe best in Yakuza series and a must have for 2017. A thrilling experience that combines both drama and action in a cinematic experience and updated with a superb and renovated fighting style.

I hope everyone could enjoy a game like this
  35. May 20, 2018
    I know that many users have only 2 scores they can give a game: 0 or 10.

I use my 10s with extreme parsimony. But in the case of Yakuza 0, it's the only score I could consider giving. I bought this game based on the hype and a at a PS Store sale price. It took me a few months to even start it up. At first, I was put off by the relatively small map, the lack of vehicles and the last
    I know that many users have only 2 scores they can give a game: 0 or 10.

I bought this game based on the hype and a at a PS Store sale price. It took me a few months to even start it up. At first, I was put off by the relatively small map, the lack of vehicles and the last gen graphics. Yet, despite its shortcomings, it remained unexplainably appealing, so I stuck with it.

Simply put, this game offers some of the best storytelling and voice acting I have ever encountered in 33 years of playing video games. And through side quests and mini-games, the replayability of Yakuza 0 is undeniable.

And because it took so long for this series to gain traction in North America/Europe, there will be many more games for you to play after this one. Yakuza 1 was remade as Yakuza Kiwami, the 2nd game's Kiwami version comes out this summer. Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 are available on PS3, with 4 and 5 also being carried on the PS Now service. Hours and hours of entertainment.

If you haven't already (and unless it's for a child, which would be super inappropriate), give this game a try. It's well worth your time.
  36. Sep 24, 2018
    It really feels like you are in Kabukicho in Tokyo except that you are playing the hero yakuza Kiryu Kazama who solves everyone's problem. The story is well written and has a twist to it. The sub stories also teaches you to choose the moral choice and awards you for it. i spent around 100 hours playing this game and it was never a boring moment in it.
  37. Oct 4, 2018
    Yakuza0 got one of the best ingame minigames
    absoloutly great voice acting cant imagine better
    amazing soundtrakcs
    and most importanly the story is just freaking amazing .
    Never enjoyed story that much for long time!
    Only one bad thing and its stucking in tight street form various things but it never effect gameplay so for me 11/10
  38. Oct 16, 2018
    Personalmente, el máximo exponencial de la saga Yakuza (Ryu Ga Gotoku).

Personalmente, el máximo exponencial de la saga Yakuza (Ryu Ga Gotoku).

Yakuza 0 no solo es el mejor juego de la saga, sino que además tiene una historia que (voy a permitirmelo decir) es de las mejores que he podido ver en un videojuego (e incluso en el cine). La manera de narrar, la presentación de Kiryu y Majima y el como vas cambiando de personaje durante la historia es simplemente sublime.

Personalmente, creo que cuenta con el mejor sistema de combate y con las localizaciones muy bien diferenciadas con ambos personajes.

Imrpescindible.
  39. Oct 18, 2018
    One of the best Yakuza game if not the best. I really enjoyed it. Especially the Real Estate mini game.
  40. Nov 22, 2018
    Realmente uma obra prima da Sega. Trazendo o inicio de tudo. Poderia ter legendas em PT, mas nada que um ingles intermediário não resolva.
  41. Feb 13, 2017
    It's hard to explain how special Yakuza 0 is, I'll try though.
    Had never heard of the Yakuza series until I noticed a PSN friend of mine playing the game for hours on end, every day. His enthusiasm led me to buy the game, that was 10 days ago. Since then, I've been playing it every day, and when I'm not, I'm looking forward to the next time I will be able to play it.
    Hard to compare to
    It's hard to explain how special Yakuza 0 is, I'll try though.
    Hard to compare to any other game I've played before, but already it's at least in the top five of my favourite games. The story is so good, better than any other story I've experienced. It's like watching a thriller. On the other hand there is a lot of humour and the sub stories......the sub stories. Wow, they are sometimes very corny, but oh so nice play.
    The mini games: bowling, batting, betting, Outrun, Claw contraption game, Mahjong, darts, pool.... They are worth buying the game for alone. And...there are erotic video's lol. I couldn't believe it. For some reason these video's fit perfectly into the game without being distasteful. Only at chapter 5 (13/14 chapters?), and it's getting better and better. At least a hundred hours of fun in this game.
    The fighting: this is a main part of the game, and it's incredibly fun, and has a lot of depth.
    This is a game which will appeal to a very wide gaming audience, in spite of it's "niche" history.
    Enough written, time to get back to the game!
    Take care.
  42. Mar 26, 2017
    As someone whose never played a Yakuza game before, I've been completely blown away. The story is gripping and intense, the combat is fun and satisfying, and the side missions are incredibly goofy and entertaining distractions from the main story. Don't hesitate to jump into the series with this game, it is well worth it.
  43. Jan 28, 2017
    YAKUZA 0 is really a 10Anniv Project from YAKUZA studio (RGG Studio)

Its actually Best English PS4 Game (at least for me)
    +Story is really amazing and linking to other Yakuza (1 - 5)
    +You can't bored from the music in the game
    +The gameplay is so much fun and you can waste your time on them if you need a break from the story!

10 / 10 GAME
  44. Apr 13, 2017
    Great game. The story will have you hooked and the fighting is so satisfying. Plenty of activities too many to name them all. For anyone new to the series its a beatem up with a Japanese mafia storyline. Karaoke,batting practice,classic arcade games like outrun,rc car racing and so on. Def worth it with many hours of fun.
  45. Feb 10, 2017
    I have played practically all Yakuza games and by far this is my favorite! Not only because technically speaking it's objectively the best but also the story and the characters are top notch. The game feels a bit silly at start but trust me, wait until it catches up and hey, you'll be in for a treat!
  46. May 13, 2017

47. Mar 23, 2017
    For those of us who loved Shenmue I & II, this is a must. It is exceptionally good, the story is so well written and the characters so good. I really like Kiryu, it reminds me or Ryo from Shenmue in some ways, but Majima is amazing.
    The side-quests are hilarious and the game is so bizarre i just can't put it off. I'm not even half the game and i'm over 40 hours doing a few main missions, but mostly side-quests, messing around in the city, playing in the arcades, Ufo Catcher, Darts, Bowling and many other activities.

I'm looking forward to Yakuza Kiwami and i hope Sega brings them all to the west. I would love to see a remake of Yakuza 2 and bring all the PS3 versions to PS4.
    Truly great stuff, one of the best games i've played this year and would recommend to anyone.

Wish i had more time to play it. 3 or 4 hours a day is not enough.
  48. Mar 20, 2017
    Yakuza 0 is one of the most surprisingly brilliant games I have played in recent years. Amazing story with some of the best acting in gaming. Lots of content and crazy fun. Absolute Gold. 10/10
  49. Feb 21, 2017
    I loved this game, it's a lot fun. Sure it isn't the best graphically but I believe it is a port of a PS3 game anyway and in my opinion, graphics aren't the most important thing.

The game has loads to do; the main storyline was gripping, there are also a load of fun sidequests and awesome mini games. I have seen some people say the battle system is old or outdated or whatever, but again in my opinion, it is a lot of fun.

There is a lot of humour in the game and this combined with the awesome world and engaging main story, fun side quests and mini games, Yakuza 0 is one of my top games.
  50. Feb 21, 2017
    Fun,Fun,Fun and more Fun.Probably one of the best Yakuza games in the series.A crazy but intriguing storyline that keeps you glued to the game,never a dull moment in the game apart from the old silly objective lol.But besides the storyline what you can do within the world of yakuza 0 is very interesting and extroadinarary i was left speechless but in a good way.I dont want to spoilFun,Fun,Fun and more Fun.Probably one of the best Yakuza games in the series.A crazy but intriguing storyline that keeps you glued to the game,never a dull moment in the game apart from the old silly objective lol.But besides the storyline what you can do within the world of yakuza 0 is very interesting and extroadinarary i was left speechless but in a good way.I dont want to spoil anything by mentioning some of stuff you can experience with the game but going to say,this game is must buy,this is a real gangster game with tonnes of fun to be had and will put a smile on your face everytime you indulge into the world of Yakuza 0.(10//10 for pure fun and thats what gaming is all about!) Expand
  51. Jan 28, 2017
    I had to make a metacritic account to review this game. This game surprised the **** out of me. It's hilarious and so much entertaining to play. The story line is top notch!
  52. Jan 27, 2017
    Played Yakuza 1-4, did not played Yakuza 5, and based on my experience this is a huge improvement. Stationary bystanders do not move like robots by moving their head and not their body. Not going to lie since a lot of features have been implemented, it took me awhile to get used to the game like the stance change between rush and brawler. Also seems that they "nerfed" the weapons beingPlayed Yakuza 1-4, did not played Yakuza 5, and based on my experience this is a huge improvement. Stationary bystanders do not move like robots by moving their head and not their body. Not going to lie since a lot of features have been implemented, it took me awhile to get used to the game like the stance change between rush and brawler. Also seems that they "nerfed" the weapons being picked up and increase the fighting damage. Expand
  53. Feb 16, 2017
    My first game of the series and I can't wait to play more. The story is incredibly amazing but it just starts very slow and the battle system gets very repetitive, just be patient and if you don't like it when you're already at chapter 5 or even chapter 4, the game is not for you but you'll miss out a lot of humor, drama and awesome boss battles. Yakuza has a lot to offer for its price. ItMy first game of the series and I can't wait to play more. The story is incredibly amazing but it just starts very slow and the battle system gets very repetitive, just be patient and if you don't like it when you're already at chapter 5 or even chapter 4, the game is not for you but you'll miss out a lot of humor, drama and awesome boss battles. Yakuza has a lot to offer for its price. It will be an awesome movie if its not a game. It actually saddens me that I was not able to play the series on my PS2 or PS3. Expand
  54. Mar 16, 2017
    Yakuza 0 is a great game. It reminds me of when I first played the fantastic Shenmue on the dreamcast. In fact they are pretty similar games in comparison. I love the beautiful open city full of culture, neon lights, restaurants, arcades, clubs, bars, casinos and erm porno theater's! There is so much to see and do in Yakuza.

The game looks stunning and has an engaging story line. The

The game looks stunning and has an engaging story line. The cinematics are very well done with some brilliant voice acting. The action and fighting is smooth and controls well. The missions are varied and interesting. There are many well rounded characters and the two heroes are well crafted and their stories are enjoyable to play through.

It is story heavy so be prepared for lots of reading. I personally enjoy this style of RPG.

There is so much to do in this game, playing old Sega arcade games, pool, darts, karaoke, bowling, RC car racing, fishing and much more. There's so much that you can lose your self for hours just roaming round the city and finding new things to do.

I'd highly recommend this game to fans of the series and new players.
  55. Feb 15, 2017
    Excellent storytelling. A good prequel for the rest of the series and a good entry point for new players. Fighting feels tight and upgrades are plentiful. Lots of collecting for OCD folks. The graphics suffer a little for being a cross-generation title (PS3/PS4) but you really don't notice once you get into the game. The small but open world is tightly packed with activity and goals.Excellent storytelling. A good prequel for the rest of the series and a good entry point for new players. Fighting feels tight and upgrades are plentiful. Lots of collecting for OCD folks. The graphics suffer a little for being a cross-generation title (PS3/PS4) but you really don't notice once you get into the game. The small but open world is tightly packed with activity and goals. It'll keep even the most focused players busy and entertained for days, maybe weeks. Expand
  56. Feb 19, 2017
    Great characters, excellent side missions, decent story however due to the tone of other parts of the game it does feel out of place at times. There is a lot of story to it so don't expect a "GTA in japan" experience. Think more Shenmue with more street fights.
  57. Feb 27, 2017
    Yakuza 0 is an absolute blast that is full of content start to finish. Those who solely complain about the graphics clearly never even gave it a chance.
  58. Mar 7, 2017
    This is my first game in Yakuza series. I did not expect anything awesome from a game. I picked this game up because I am tired from the western games and their business models. So I was hoping to find new game with soul lets say.
    At first, I was not impressed a lot by that game. Lack of budget is so clear in some areas. Facial animations are poor and side quests are lacking of voice. However, I think I just spoiled by big games like Witcher 3.
    But after I got immersed by story and 80s atmosphere I could not stop playing. Story is good and much better than your usual video game story, Gameplay is repetitive but badass soundtrack makes it feel cool. What impressed me the most that side quest are so interesting and hilarious, Each side quest had unique story and its not your usual go there and kill that and than bring me that. No. Even gameplay is different here. I spent 50 hours with that and probably will spend more. That game is like breath of fresh air. Loved it. I did not give that game 10 because if repetitive fighting gameplay at times and technical issues.

Looks like its golden times to be owner of PS4. So many cool games are coming.
  59. Mar 26, 2017
    Wow what can I say...1st would be if you are a fan of old school arcade brawlers like final fight or streets of rage this will be right up your alley. I've never played a yakuza game before and the only reason I took interest into this game is because of Angry Joe. That being said while 60 bucks being spent I decided to give it a go. Its been a while since I've felt so overwhelmed withWow what can I say...1st would be if you are a fan of old school arcade brawlers like final fight or streets of rage this will be right up your alley. I've never played a yakuza game before and the only reason I took interest into this game is because of Angry Joe. That being said while 60 bucks being spent I decided to give it a go. Its been a while since I've felt so overwhelmed with joy while a play a story driven game. The story while boring at first is excellent, and its great how the sub character Majima literally outshines the main character Kiryu, makes for some great balance tho.

The fighting mechanics are simple enough for anyone to pick this up but deep enough to keep you entertained throughout the entire game. Enemies for the most part are very varied (depending on current situation in story) and pose a challenge every now and then. Story is great but if you cant tolerate READING probably not for you since entire game is done in Japanese. I actually prefer it that way but thats just my preference and to each their own. Which comes to my favorite part of the game....Sound?!?!? Yes the soundtrack to this game is ultra top tier, voice acting the best ive seen in a game yet (check out the lieutenant Awano) and sound effects are excellent. You will just enjoy grating an enemies face against concrete or beating the hell out of them with all allotted weapons.

If you own a ps4 and you have time and havent given this a try yet shame on you. If your on the fence on this one at least red box it if you can find it that is, its worth it.
  60. Jan 29, 2017
    I really like the Yakuza series; being a huge Shenmue fan I had to try it out and I have to honestly say, if I'm ever in the mood for the whacky, rather than the grounded Shenmue-esque, experience then Yakuza is the way to go. And my goodness is Yakuza 0 whacky. In the best way possible.

Obviously, I'm talking about side activities there, there is a serious experience to be had if you focus on the story, which, like all Yakuza games, is the highlight of the game. This is not necessarily a game designed for open world fans; think of the open world as something like No More Heroes level, where it's just there but the gameplay moments outside of the open world are what is awesome, not the moments based around it. That is what sets Yakuza apart from GTA and in a world filled with the done-to-death GTA formula, it is a welcome change.

Yes, there are some limitations which appear in other Yakuza games too, such as moments of having to read plenty of text and just gameplay moments where you can tell this is not a AAA title. However, that is fine by me because the hilarity of the side missions gave me more fun than I've had with most AAA titles in recent memory.

Please support this franchise if you do enjoy the games; I'd love to see Yakuza start to get more much-needed attention.
  61. Jul 5, 2017
    Great game. The 2 main characters are so likable and charming. The dialogue and the writing is spectacular and the soundtrack is fantastic. There is a lot to do in this game as well. With so many side quests and a campaign that will last anywhere from 30-40 HRS. The combat is pretty good too aside from getting a bit repetitive near the end. All in all great game. I'm excited to see what's next.
  62. Mar 5, 2017
    This game is a lot of fun. It´s a weird combination of many elements: A very intense and dramatic story with compelling cutscenes, funny and sometimes touchy side quests, engaging minigames, and a sort of simple but still exciting battle system. None of its elements are great on their own, but they combine so well in a way that is hard to describe, that it makes it hard to stop playing.
  63. Mar 17, 2017
    Where do i even begin with this game! It is just absolutely amazing there is no other game that delivers that ultimate badass feeling you get when you fight your way through an entire bulding and dropkick a dude out of a window while epic music plays, it is truly a one of a kind and an absolute blast! Yakuza 0 is a prequel to the entire series so it's great for newcomers and long time fansWhere do i even begin with this game! It is just absolutely amazing there is no other game that delivers that ultimate badass feeling you get when you fight your way through an entire bulding and dropkick a dude out of a window while epic music plays, it is truly a one of a kind and an absolute blast! Yakuza 0 is a prequel to the entire series so it's great for newcomers and long time fans alike. The entire game is 60FPS which makes for very smooth gameplay which feels great to play. The minigames are tons of fun and addicting especially the cabaret management. The story is absolutely amazing as well as the soundtrack. it is jam packed with so much great content a single play is easily 50-130+ hours of gameplay. i highly recommend this game to anyone who wants a fresh revitalizing gaming experience! Expand
  64. Feb 10, 2017
    Maybe yakuza is best game series for me this game series is masterpiece for me because all yakuza games are perfect for me so i can recommend all yakuza games and start 2 review Graphics= very gut %85Maybe yakuza is best game series for me this game series is masterpiece for me because all yakuza games are perfect for me so i can recommend all yakuza games and start 2 review Graphics= very gut %85 Gameplay=awesome %95 History=super %95 voices= good %80 Overall= 87 pls dont miss this masterpiece Expand
  65. Mar 3, 2017
    My first yakuza game and I should say this game makes me want to play the old ones. Good balance between the extremely hilarious side quests in contrast to the serious main story. The characters are interesting too and the game really lets you experience Japan in the 90s, from karaoke to being a pocket circuit racing and punching jerks in the face.
  66. Mar 13, 2017
    The story, voiceacting, characters, side quests, soundtrack, minigames and tons of hours of content make this game worthy, there are a few issues with some textures and invisible walls that I hope they patch them, it's a 9.5 for me
  67. Mar 12, 2017
    A fantastic game , its a comedy+gang related theme game+hentai+anime+++++
    yakuza check , boobs check , dance check , karaoke check , beat up check, simulation check.
    Do yourself a favor and got this game.
    Cannot wait for yakuza kiwami.
    Its not a perfect game , i rate it 8.5 but since metacritic dont support it so i will rate it a 9
  68. Jun 9, 2017
    For the record this is my first Yakuza game and I'm officially a fan of the series now. I picked this up primarily for the sheer content and humor, but of all things the story has grabbed me from the very beginning. This is all the more surprising considering that it's Japanese VA with English subtitles but the characters really shine through and draw you into the world of 1980s Japan. AsFor the record this is my first Yakuza game and I'm officially a fan of the series now. I picked this up primarily for the sheer content and humor, but of all things the story has grabbed me from the very beginning. This is all the more surprising considering that it's Japanese VA with English subtitles but the characters really shine through and draw you into the world of 1980s Japan. As interesting as the main quests are good luck focusing on them as you will be pleasantly distracted by the numerous side quests and mini games (oh look the Sega arcade, maybe just a little more Space Harrier...). Bottom line, if you're at all interested in this game after watching the trailers and reading reviews do us all a favor and pick it up so we can continue to receive future titles in the series here in the states. Expand
  69. Jan 27, 2017
    This is the best RPG I've played on the PS4 so far. The combat mechanics are solid and the story is good. The real draw however, is the city itself. There is so much to do and most of it is really fun. There are minigames galore, secret/hidden sidequests, and so much more. If you are on the fence like I was, hopefully this is enough to push you over!
  70. Feb 3, 2017
    Easily one of the best game this year. Many fun mini games and side quests. Master piece plot and story telling. You can't miss it! Get much more fun from this than GTA 5.
  71. Mar 2, 2017
    This is my introduction to the Yakuza universe, and it did not disappoint. This game is an absolute masterpiece in every way. Fantastic story, hilarious interactions, fabulous mini-games, and enough distractions to keep the attention of an ADHD patient who skipped his meds. Everything about this game is perfect and I cannot wait to be introduced to more.
  72. Mar 1, 2017
    story is well planned and very unpredictable. it even made me cry at one of the cut scenes. the voice acting is amazing and the town is just packed full of distractions that you can just spend hours n hours doing.
  73. Mar 4, 2017
    This was my very first Yakuza game. I watched a lot of gameplay and reviews, and because I like deep narratives and anime, I decided to buy it. Got home, put the disc in and I didn't even understand how much I was enjoying it. The deep and intriguing narrative, a fun combat system!
    Everything was great up until the ending, and now it sits at my favorite ps4 games ever, even higher than Last Of Us. PLAY IT!
  74. Mar 21, 2017
    I am new to the Yakuza series. Yet after I saw a trusted YouTuber review this game, I began to dive into the game history and lore before deciding to give it a try.

Yakuza 0 is a game that takes itself seriously, while at the same time.... doesn't. It's this odd blend of storytelling, character switching, stereotyping and vintage landscape that gives this title so much character. Playing as two seemingly unrelated protagonists, you will find yourself going "why am I doing this?" only to say "I'm so glad I did that!" As storylines meld and the full reveal rears its face, you'll find comedy, tragedy, heart warming stories and vile acts of society all neaty packaged into a game that's sitting at your fingertips.

I won't pull any punches graphically. This game shows why its a "remaster" of a PS3 release. It's not going to blow you away visually. It's not going to wow you with its environment. At times, you might even groan at the camera angle. However, Yakuza 0 is one of those games that makes up for it's graphical shortcomings through storytelling and immersion. How? Here's how!

There are so many side quests and mini games built into this title, they could have pay walled each of them off and sold them separately. Vintage Sega arcade games, Bikini girls wrestling, Mahjong, fishing, slot car racing, the back door casino room, the phone dating service game, collecting cards that unlock video pretty women casually posing for the camera, batting cages, the Hostess Club sim (which makes you lots of cash), dancing at the club, and karaoke are just some of the activities you can partake in when you're not buying up businesses, beating up thugs or doing various side quests.

This game isn't a true open world experience and to be honest, that's okay. Once you get a sense of the story, you begin to identify when you should explore and when you're likely going to be confined into a story arc. While some people want that "always open, always free" feel, you'll likely find yourself to engrossed in the story to care or too busy making money to notice.

Perhaps one of the strongest downsides to the game IS you need to make money. As the game progresses, abilities, your character durability and importantly, the ability to survive hinge on you making money. While thousand yen bills are easy to come buy, true to the 80s theme, inflation is a huge problem. Thus, you'll quickly drop 30 million Yen on a single skill and sent to the streets looking for more. Luckily, if you grab the Hostess Club and Property Owner side quest / mini games when they're presented and run with them, you'll soon find yourself at an advantage.

Overall, this is a solid title and one of those diamonds in the rough. Though far from polished in a sea of AAA titles praised for graphical perfection and stunning environments, Yakuza 0 shows what a title can do when you mix fun, story and solid gameplay together while still maintaining a sense of humor.
  75. Mar 25, 2017
    Easily the best game I've played in about two years, comparable with the likes of Folklore, Drakengard 3, and other true auteur titles - yet somehow Yakuza 0 lacks the flaws those games had. Combat? Great, Writing? Even better. Music? Perhaps the best I've ever heard in any beat-em-up. Pacing, Length, Sidequests are just ridiculously fun to do. This is a true video game.
  76. Mar 27, 2017
    Pros:
    -Great Story
    -Immersive game play
    -Hilarious side quests and Minigames
    -More than 100 hours of content
    -Character Development

Cons:
    Outdated Visuals
  77. Mar 30, 2017
    First Yakuza game for me, and it is one of the best game I ever played. The story is absolutely fantastic, and thrilling. Combat, while repetitive, is very over-the-top and fun, with different styles to choose from. While it is strictly an open-world, the map is quite condense, but with LOADS of activities. The dark story combine with humorous side-quests, running real estate, run aFirst Yakuza game for me, and it is one of the best game I ever played. The story is absolutely fantastic, and thrilling. Combat, while repetitive, is very over-the-top and fun, with different styles to choose from. While it is strictly an open-world, the map is quite condense, but with LOADS of activities. The dark story combine with humorous side-quests, running real estate, run a cabaret, fishing, bowling, gambling, watching sexy girls catfight, and watching money fly everywhere, makes this game the best experience I ever had in a long time. Platinum will take easily 150+ hours. Expand
  78. May 16, 2017
    Having never played a Yakuza game before, I was expecting your typical shoot n up and everything that goes with it, but much to my surprise, Yakuza 0 is a strongly story driven game, with a very good combat system, a great main story with funny and clever sub stories, and a host of other actiivities to keep you more then entertained, easily one of the best titles of 2017.
  79. Feb 9, 2017
    I bought three GTA series, and didn't enjoy any of them. After a while everything felt like a chore. In Yakuza 0 I found myself actually caring about the main character and look forward to the story progression. I wish I pre-ordered it and saved myself some money but oh well, it was worth my $60.
  80. Mar 22, 2017
    Fantastic game, it has amazing presentation, a story that is completely unpredictable, and satisfying gameplay. At times the game may seem a little slow however when it gets going, it booms. You can be sure when there's a cutscene **** about to go down, first 5 chapters alone and I am already loving it and very much into the game.
  81. Mar 14, 2017
    As a newcomer to Yakuza I must say that this has been a great experience. This game does a great job of engrossing you into the story from the first 30 minutes to the ending. The story is one of the best I have experienced in a while and I feel is the best part of the game. The 3 parts of this game are the story, the main brawling gameplay, and the massive amount of minigames. TheAs a newcomer to Yakuza I must say that this has been a great experience. This game does a great job of engrossing you into the story from the first 30 minutes to the ending. The story is one of the best I have experienced in a while and I feel is the best part of the game. The 3 parts of this game are the story, the main brawling gameplay, and the massive amount of minigames. The minigames are wacky and fun and act as a great diversion to the serious main story and compliment the game very well, my only issue is that along the main story you are forced to do most of these minigames at least once which at some points when i wanted to just get to the next piece of story were quite annoying. My main problem with Yakuza 0 is the brawling main gameplay. The fighting system in this game is satisfying and very fun at first, with multiple styles and upgrades. The issue comes in when you are 30 hours in and each segment of fighting takes forever and you are spamming cheap moves just to get to the next piece of story. By the end it gets old and you will be doing TONS of it. Besides the repetitive combat this game was very enjoyable to play and I would recommend it to anyone who likes good stories or enjoys having lots of variety of side content. Expand
  82. Mar 9, 2017
    First their is great lip syncing It is also a super fun brawler where you caojafokwndscfcnvsrdzxnvdonvokwsnxfvknwrspkfnpierdnpvnreoxnvreifnviendoinvwoinvinvoins inoifnionfdionvfniofinfnidfviofvdinfvd its a good game alright
  83. Mar 5, 2017
    My favorite in the series, it has storytelling like no other game. The combat system has come a very long way, there are so many styles. The mini games are really good too, and whenever i have a chance to be in 1980's japan to play some outrun at the arcades you can bet i'm interested.
  84. Sep 8, 2018
    Yakuza 0 is probably going to be my pleasant surprise of the year. I had heard of this series and I did hear that it was a good game but I didn’t think that I would like it. Boy was I wrong. I know how this sounds but a big reason that I don’t like Japanese RPG’S or just Japanese games in general is because I like games that are grounded in a little more reality. This game is really weirdYakuza 0 is probably going to be my pleasant surprise of the year. I had heard of this series and I did hear that it was a good game but I didn’t think that I would like it. Boy was I wrong. I know how this sounds but a big reason that I don’t like Japanese RPG’S or just Japanese games in general is because I like games that are grounded in a little more reality. This game is really weird but finds a way to stay grounded and I think that’s why I liked it so much.

Initially, I was not loving the story but the combat was fun enough that I stuck with it. As the game went along, I started getting more and more into the story. I really liked the breakdown of the game and especially where there was 2 protagonists (Kiryu and Majima). Every 2 chapters you would switch between these characters. It was kind of interesting watching these 2 characters back stories and then eventually the two stories started to become intertwined with one another. By the end, I found it all to be very interesting and my favorite part of the game wound up being the story.

The games combat was broken into 6 different types and both of the protagonists had 3 each. I ended up liking Majima’s combat more because it had my 2 favorite combat battle styles. The first one that I liked was called the “Breaker Style” which was break dancing in fighting form. You would do all of these break dancing moves and they would count as attacks against the enemies. It was kind of stupid but fun to do. Although I really liked the “Breaker Style,” my go-to was “Slugger Style” which was where he had a baseball bat. I ultimately liked this style the best because it was very effective and I had the most success with it.

The game isn’t just story and combat, its a whole open world with a ton of things to do. You can play baseball, you can go to an arcade and play old Sega Arcade games from the 80’s, you can go to a place that has phones where you can hit on women. The weirdest by far there is an “erotic video store.” You pick up these videos out in the open world and then go to this place and watch them. Its so weird because its FMV and the videos are kind of sexual. For example the video that I watched was this girl that was on her knees and very sexually she blew up a balloon for a good minute. It was so odd but the weirdest part is, at the end. The camera cuts to a box of tissues and your character kind of lets out a deep breath.

The game also has 2 more story driven mini-games. For Kiryu, you’re running around buying up real estate and becoming a real estate mogul. I did that for a little while but it wasn’t that fun to do but it was a quick way to make money. For Majima, he would run a Cabaret Bar which is something that I have never heard of before but I guess they’re common in Japan. Essentially a man goes to this bar alone, sits down and then some girl who is a employees of the bar, sits down with him. She then gives him company by flirting and talking with him. It’s very a odd and kind of sad concept but I won’t get into that. I enjoyed running the Cabaret Bar more because there was more to do with it all. You would hire new girls, re-design the club, level the girls up and change their appearance. Plus there was the actual mini-game of actually running the bar. Patrons would come in and you had to pair the customers personality with one of the girls personality. The more you did this mini-game, the more your girls would level up and the more successful the business would become.

This is a game that I can highly recommend, it was fun and the story was engaging. Its everything that I like about video games and I look forward to playing more Yakuza games.
  85. Dec 10, 2017
    amazing game amazing well written story & hilarious substories, i cant wait till Yakuza Kiwami 2 get release in west whoever vote negative can suck it
  86. Jul 13, 2017
    A fascinating story with dynamic and spectacular battles, intense boss battles,varied and well designed mini-games. There is no localization in Russian - for it is minus one point.
  87. Dec 16, 2017
    I really want to rate it higher but the sour taste after many of the minigames and combat never exactly doing what I want it to prevents it from ever being a truly good game. At this point, I can get better value out of a novel and a game designed around only weird minigames, as then both would have the proper quality and not just **** around in the middle.

cons: **** outrun. ****

cons:
    **** outrun. **** blackjack. **** catfights. **** mahjong. **** the timing in disco and **** the decade old combat system from the PS2 era.

The camera auto rotates with the character which makes any tight corner a nightmare. It also gets locked on walls which means doing combat near rounded walls means you lose 60-70% of your vision.

weapons hit a lot of invisible walls and make the character recoil for no reason.

Accurate combat inputs at a high level is a nightmare. The game is enjoyable because you have enough health items and things thrown into it that it can be overlooked. However, actually examining the controls leads to a lot of problems, many of which are brought out in the climax battles. Inability to properly target enemies, slow turning, auto target targeting nothing, the inability to just turn around like a normal human being can, weapons not aiming correctly, heat action prompts appearing and not working 80% of the time, a 3 second delay on starting most heat actions after a combat command has already been used, and so on. It is the same crappy combat from 10 years ago and with so many other games doing combat better the only saving grace of this game is the niche void it fills.

Pros:
    Side stories are enjoyable. Very Yakuza-esque.
  88. Mar 20, 2018
    If you never played Yakua then this is a great entry to the series. One of the best stories you'll come across in gaming accompanied by great character design, fighting styles are just sublime and a very good soundtrack. highly recommend it.
  89. Apr 21, 2017
    Another disappointing japanese game.
    I like crime/mafia movies and games, i like open world and story driven games and japanese culture, so i really hoped id love this game. But actually i wasnt able to force myself to finish it.
    Another disappointing japanese game.
    First of all it has just too many cutscenes. And i think there are better ways to tell a story. Other games, like for example MGS also have very long cutscenes, but at least they offer great gameplay besides them. In Yakuza gameplay is very weak. Its not open world per se, its just bunch of streets and thats all. You cant drive or shoot which is very disappointing for open world crime game. Fighting feels like mindless button mashing, it has nothing to do with great fighting systems from modern games like Batman Arkham series, not to mention slasher-figthing games like DMC or Bayonetta. Yakuza just feels old and clunky.
    Substories are supposed to be funny, but are just stupid, illlogical and dont fit dark atmosphere of game. There are a lot of boring fetch quests that will waste your time but wont be fun or memorable and side activities are equally bad and uninteresting.
    Overall i wanted to love this game, but i just cant. Its just old, archaic and not fun when compared to modern games.
  90. Feb 14, 2017
    This game is absolutely horrible apart from the story and fighting.
    CONS:
    - terrible graphics, there are almost no shadows, textures are low-res, lots of aliasing, no reflections and other modern techniques - looks as if it was a 10-year-old game - about half of the dialogues DON'T HAVE VOICEOVER! Instead we hear a typewriter. This is 2017! WTF? - the game is Japanese, they didn't even
    This game is absolutely horrible apart from the story and fighting.
    CONS:
    - the game is Japanese, they didn't even bother to make a version with English voiceover
    - the game is way too long, the conversations are to slow and the overall pace of the game is very low
    - you can't drive a car
    - there is no fast travel apart from taxis that stand in the corners of the map
    - maps are tiny
    - no auto-save
    - no option to switch to the other character when you like it

PROS:
    - well developed, however too long a story
    - fighting with lots of styles

I can understand people that like the game, cuase they played the previous versions, but I really can't understand why someone would give it 10/10. If the story was placed in GTA V universe, then it could be perfect. Avoid or buy when it's $5.
  91. Feb 19, 2017
    This game is a sick joke, playstation 2 graphics, terrible character modelling and boring gameplay, its 2017, not 1998, possibly the worst game ever made, poorly, glitches, crashes the console also, it is also extremely sexist and derogatory to wimen
  92. Jan 25, 2017
    Being an all time fan of the yakuza series I was deeply dissapointed with this long awaited sequel. The graphics are downright horrible and the gameplay is not only boring but feels nothing like its successor. Do not waste your money on this horrible milking cashgrab
  93. Sep 22, 2018
    Worst Yakuza game Ever! Dance battles are nightmare (and this S..t is REQUIRED), challenges still here, and all other bad stuff from previous games.
  94. Sep 10, 2018
    After 15 minutes of skipping every cut scene. i still didn't get to play. So i gave up.
  95. Oct 23, 2017
    Story-wise a really awesome game. I would recommend playing it on easy just as a movie of sorts. Visuals are average yet pretty. The combat mechanics are bs.
  96. Nov 14, 2018
    I heard great things about his game. Unfortunately it doesn't live up to the hype. The story line is predictable and boring. The battle style is too repetitive. There is also a lot of uninteresting dialogue you have to go through. I found myself getting bored every time I played it.
  97. Apr 4, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I made a Metacritic account just to write about how f**king amazing Yakuza 0 is, I'm almost 100% sure that it's my new favorite game of all time. I have completed about 20% of the game and I'm over 35 hours into it, there's so much to do. Here's just a few of the things you need to do to 100% the game's completion log:
    - Eat everything at every restaurant in Sotenbori and Kamurocho
    - Spend, get and invest over 1,000,000,000 yen
    - Complete the 100 substories, there are 40 for Majima and 60 for Kiryu
    - Collect every telephone card on the map to befriend Mr Libido
    - Go to a telephone club and befriend three girls
    - Travel 100 km by foot (trust me, it takes way longer than you think, after over 35 hours of almost only walking around doing side stuff, I have yet to pass 50 km)
    - Defeat 200 enemies in the 6 different fighting styles (3 for Kiryu, 3 for Majima)
    And all of that isn't even close to everything. Some examples of especially great subquest from where I am at is:
    - Producing a tv show without knowing anything about producing
    - Helping a dominatrix get better at her job
    - Speaking through a portable phone (again, trust me, it's harder than you'd think)
    - Defeat a huge guy who, if you don't defeat him which is very likely you don't, will steal all the money you currently have on you
    - Helping a hardcore band be actually hardcore (this one's probably my favorite of all of them so far)
    - Going full real estate, buying buildings, collecting money, hiring staff, all while trying to get a hold of
    Kamurocho from The Five Billiionaires
    - Helping a kid get an adult mag while other people are watching
    And just to top it off, the best features of the game:
    - A fantastic story with fantastic pacing
    - Fantastically written characters
    - Tons of side content to do after you're done with the story, though I highly suggest people do them as they play the story
    - Amazing simple to learn, hard to master combat
    - Memorable layouts of the open worlds
    - Some of the best villains in any game period
    - Fantastic controls
    - Fantastic soundtrack (especially Judgement) and sound design, and finally...
    - THE ABILITY TO PAUSE A CUTSCENE WITHOUT SKIPPING IT!
    10/10. That's what the game gets, and it gets what it deserves. The only games that even come close to rivaling it for me is Persona 5, Psychonauts and Dark Souls, but even they struggle. It is just a pure gaming masterpiece, and a PERFECT introduction to any series. I can't wait to move on to the other games after I finish it, but I will take it slow and try to do as much as possible in this game before going over to Kiwami.
  98. Mar 5, 2019
    This is a terrible-looking game which, in the year 2,019 AD, apparently does not have an autosave feature. It's like if some **** Kickstarter indie developer tried to make a clone of Sleeping Dogs. I have to say I don't understand the cult following.
  99. Mar 9, 2018
    I had so much fun every moment with this game. Kiryu and Majima are such awesome mains. The story is so interesting that I found myself pulling off 5-hour sessions because I could not contain the hype.

If you were expecting a Japanese GTA, you're wrong. This is a complete original. Even if this isn't your type of game, you have to try it.
  100. Jul 20, 2017
    Equal parts soap opera drama and absurd craziness, Yakuza 0 is a terrific entry point into the long running and very popular Japanese underworld drama. As a starting point for the two main lead characters of the series, Kazama Kiryu and Goro Majima, it shows what lead up to the first game and the causes for how they became the people they were at the very beginning of the main story. As aEqual parts soap opera drama and absurd craziness, Yakuza 0 is a terrific entry point into the long running and very popular Japanese underworld drama. As a starting point for the two main lead characters of the series, Kazama Kiryu and Goro Majima, it shows what lead up to the first game and the causes for how they became the people they were at the very beginning of the main story. As a newcomer to the series, it was nice to see the characters in almost their base form and see what drove them towards the events that will happen in the first game.
    For those that don't know and might be interested in this series, the Yakuza series is filled to the brim with everything that's over-the-top. Whether it's the story, the combat, or the crazy weird side quests, this game throws everything and the kitchen sink at you. Starting with the story, as stated before, this is a great starting point for the series and for people to get into it. It hits on alot of stuff that seems like it will carry over to the following games. While the entire game is in Japanese, you can tell that the actors they got for this are top notch. Especially those who played the main two leads, Kiryu and Majima. And while the story goes deep into soap opera territory, especially and most notably towards the end, it's still a very good story. Set along side a wonderful soundtrack that beautifully captured the main events perfectly, the overall cinematic feel that basically everything in this game has really sets it apart from other games.
    The combat is where things get a little dicey for me. I've heard it compared to old school beat-em-ups like Streets of Rage. I'm personally not a huge fan of the system. You seemingly just point your character towards an enemy and mash buttons till they are dead. There really aren't very many combos and the game relies too heavily on counters as trying to set them up is extremely difficult because the lock on system is not very well done and far too loose when trying to lock onto one enemy in a large group of them. It could use a little more refining going forward.
    With so much to do and see in the game, it's hard to pass up on this. I had to take a point away because of the messy combat system and the soap opera-y tone the story took on late. But I'd highly recommend this to anyone who wants to get in on the ground level. Especially with the upcoming release, and proper, remake of the original game due to come out in a month or so.

1. Aug 8, 2018
    Yakuza 0 is a lot of Yakuza, showing a great deal of excess, brilliance and occasional frustration in equal fashion. There's lots and lots to do, a great story to breathe in, and wonderful characters who play well off each other. At the same time, 0 lacks some of the innovations and gameplay conceits that came with later titles, and it's also just as frustrating in places as some of the franchise's more egregious offenders.
  2. Oct 12, 2017
    Yakuza Zero is a fantastic game. Spectacular main story combined with great diversity of sub-stories and solid gameplay create a rather unique game.
  3. Games Master UK
    Apr 2, 2017
    A fantastically bonkers open-world gem that finally opens up the magic of the series to everyone. [March 2017, p.64]