• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Aug 28, 2018
8.5

1. Aug 28, 2018
    Quite possibly THE best Monster Hunter to date which is a major step up from World both in challenge and longevity. While World's agenda was to introduce Monster Hunter to newer players, GU's agenda is punch them in the face and say "you don't know jack" and really treat players both new and old to a revitalizing experience that promises difficulty right out of the gates. While manyQuite possibly THE best Monster Hunter to date which is a major step up from World both in challenge and longevity. While World's agenda was to introduce Monster Hunter to newer players, GU's agenda is punch them in the face and say "you don't know jack" and really treat players both new and old to a revitalizing experience that promises difficulty right out of the gates. While many players who have just came over from World are going to wonder why things are so different, it's because the training wheels are off and you're going to be playing Monster Hunter at it's finest. No glowflies, no running and chugging; every move you make will matter. So saddle up because Generations Ultimate is in town and it's taking no prisoners Expand
  2. Aug 28, 2018
    This is the peak of Monster Hunter. Proper challenge, insane roster with all the fan favorites, thousands of unique weapon designs, transmog, great online lobbies - it's all there.

If you're a Monster Hunter veteran I don't need to tell you about how awesome it is, you likely already know. Playing XX (aka MHGU) on the big TV with the Pro Controller is incredibly fun and the best way to experience it no doubt.
  3. Sep 5, 2018
    One of the biggest criticisms new players have when starting up for the first time is the fact that the game doesn’t play as they would expect it to. When starting out movement and combat feels slow, sluggish and at times downright clunky. This is all very deliberate and only after a good few hours pushing past this barrier will it start to click. For many though the low-gradeOne of the biggest criticisms new players have when starting up for the first time is the fact that the game doesn’t play as they would expect it to. When starting out movement and combat feels slow, sluggish and at times downright clunky. This is all very deliberate and only after a good few hours pushing past this barrier will it start to click. For many though the low-grade graphical style, sheer oddness of its world and lack of a proper tutorial will be enough to encourage a player to move on to the next AAA. This would be a real shame.

Ultimate has nearly 100 large monsters to hunt which offers an insane amount of gameplay. It’s not uncommon for Monster Hunter fans to boast about game saves that are over 500 hours. Ultimate is an expansion to Monster Hunter Generations which released on the 3ds now tweaked for the Switch and its a perfect fit for the console. Long time fans can even transfer their save file across providing they download a special DS app and can get online.

The game can be played solo but it really defeats the point of the game. Solo hunts have Monsters with far less health and are often easier to track and kill. The real fun is teaming up with 3 other hunters all using different weapons and buffs to take down a particularly vicious monster. Typically voice chat isn’t an option as its a Nintendo game but the lobby systems and text options are more than ok to get a message across such as ‘Im laying a trap’ or ‘I’m out of ammo’ It’s important to communicate and work together as everyone shares the same pool of three lives. Monster Hunter calls dying ‘carting’ and if you cart twice the tension ramps up as no mistakes are allowed otherwise its Quest failed. A benefit to the lack of voice chat is that the community feels far less toxic with only predetermined messages able to be sent -very family friendly.

For the purposes of this review, I invested 70 hours into the Japanese import released last year, 90 hours in the 3DS version of Generations and then a further 20 hours in the Western release after transferring my save file. What I have noticed is Capcom offer assistance to new players with free downloadable support bundles full of heath potions, traps and buffs you can take on the hunt without the need to work out how to acquire them through scavenging while out hunting and combining items. This is a huge help in easing the difficult first few hours of learning the game as its the huge array of stuff to learn in the hub world that can be so off-putting when all you want to do is get out and fight a monster. With so many weapons types, a separate Prowler mode where you can play and train a cat helper, 4 hub worlds all with NPC’s to talk to and a separate online section, it can all be a bit overwhelming

Disappointingly there is little proper story, unlike Monster Hunter 4 and the recent World which had a strong narrative thread. Ultimate is focussed on the hunt. You can chat to NPC’s but its all very basic exchanges mostly asking you to do something or thanking you afterwards. Capcom has released a number if unique quests to earn Nintendo themed Weapons and Armour (Link, Samus, Megaman, Ryu are examples) and these fit nicely into the game without being an odd addition. It’s really pleasing to see an online player sporting these outfits as it shows they are devoted to the game and will be a worthy addition to any hunting party. It is worth pointing out that the solo mode is separate from Online, while you can take loot from each hunt a quest completed online will not transfer to the offline mode.

Conclusion
    If your the kind of gamer who buys a new title then plays it to completion in a week, then part exchanges it for something new, Monster Hunter isn't for you, it doesn’t have an end to it as such, its designed to become a regular part of your gaming life. You will want to increase your Hunter Rank to see what the next rank has to offer. New to Ultimate is a super hard tier called G rank which throws down some seriously tough hunts that will test your ability to work as a team, bring the right supplies and know each monster’s weaknesses.

If you have only ever played world and loved it, Gen Ultimate may feel like a back step in the series history but that is a bit like saying Street Fighter 4 isn’t worth playing now we have Street Fighter 5. Monster Hunter plays by its own rules and demands you work things out for yourself, it's eccentric and obtuse, portable and packed full of content but most of all its great fun.

Monster Hunter is life.
    Amazing!
  4. Aug 31, 2018
    I started playing Monster Hunter with Monster Hunter World, but I instantly fell in love with that game (500 hours and counting). The first and most important thing to say about Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (MHGU): It's an older game, that has been released in Japan quite a while ago, but has now been released to the west because of the success of MHW. Always keep that in mind, asI started playing Monster Hunter with Monster Hunter World, but I instantly fell in love with that game (500 hours and counting). The first and most important thing to say about Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (MHGU): It's an older game, that has been released in Japan quite a while ago, but has now been released to the west because of the success of MHW. Always keep that in mind, as you can "feel" that the gameplay is a little "old fashioned".

That being said, MHGU (also referred to as MHXX when talked about by people that played the JP version) is an amazing game. The sheer amount of content is mind-boggling. It really is too much to cover here, so just my highlights:

Prowler - If you ever wished to play as your little Palico friend in MHW, rejoice about the "15th weapon" in MHGU: the Prowler. Yes, you can play as a Palico. Bonus: You can also have two Palicos with you all the time, and have a list of hireable Palicos to choose from.

Hunter Arts & Styles: Although the weapons themselves have less moves than they have in MHW, the fact that there are hunter arts and hunter styles more than makes up for this. You can play every weapon in one six styles (Guild, Striker, Aerial, Adept, Valor & Alchemy), which removes some moves, adds some others, or totally changes you play the weapon. Hunter arts on the other hand are additional moves you can activate separately, akin to "abilities" in a classical RPG.

The sheer size of the game: MHW has 34 monsters to hunt, MHGU has a whopping 94! And every monster brings it's own unique set of armour and weapons with it. So yeah, if that's not enough content to last a lifetime, I don't know what is.

The best recommendation I can give is this: There is a demo on the eShop that let's you hunt 3 monsters (beginner, intermediate and advanced) with all weapons, styles and a pre-defined set of arts.MHGU plays a little differently to MHW, so it's best to just check out if you still like "the feeling of it". I know I will not put this game down for a long time.
  5. Sep 18, 2018
    Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate for the Nintendo switch is a genuine pleasure to play.

With the old school Monster Hunter gameplay and monster roster mixed with some elegant new playstyles, this is truly a masterpiece that both Monster Hunter veterans and new plays can enjoy. The game does not hold your hand when it comes to its mechanics, which may turn a few players off if it

The game does not hold your hand when it comes to its mechanics, which may turn a few players off if it is their first Monster Hunter game or they have just migrated from Monster Hunter World, but if you stick at it, you will eventually be hundreds of hours deep into the complex crafting, armour and weapon systems of the game.

Visually, the game may not look AAA like the beautiful Monster Hunter World, but it captures the charm of the older titles and upscales them to bring them into the console space.

The game also does not suffer from any lag spikes or long loading times like previous games on the 3DS or PSP and keeps a consistently high frame rate even when playing online.

The online scene for Generations Ultimate is booming with new and veteran players alike, all will to chip and help each other progress through the game. The online challenges and DLC are extremely fun and challenging and with collaborations with other games and developers, it keeps the game fresh and entertaining.
  6. Sep 5, 2018
    So, I bought this game digitally, as a blind buy. I had played previous monster hunter games before, but my last experience was World. Now, I liked world, but it was very, very flawed. This game, on the other hand, is the Quintessential monster hunter experience for anyone who hasn’t played a monster hunter game before. I really liked this game, and I suggest you, as a reader, to buy this.
  7. Jun 26, 2020
    This game is simply great. It takes many of the best parts of the older games and mashes them together into one game in a way that just works well. I currently have about 20 hours of playtime and have barely touched the surface of this game, you can expect to probably spend hundreds of hours in this game.
  8. Aug 29, 2018
    thanks capcom.

anyway person reading buy this game. no qualifiers, buy it, and if you are more of a world person then simply don't play it. p.s. if you are not playing it because of graphics, qol, loading between areas, unresponsive controls, too difficult or frustrating then i suggest you get down on your knees right now and ask God to make you like it because this is trully a once
    thanks capcom.

p.s. if you are not playing it because of graphics, qol, loading between areas, unresponsive controls, too difficult or frustrating then i suggest you get down on your knees right now and ask God to make you like it because this is trully a once in a lifetime experience and there is a good chance you will never be able to enjoy it again like this.
  9. Aug 29, 2018
    Newcomer here, come from Monster Hunter World. Loved it so my interest grew on this particular game, turns out people was right, this one is way better. Period.
  10. Aug 29, 2018
    To clarify: MHGU came out BEFORE Monster Hunter World. MHGU was not going to get a Western release at all. The West got MHGU second BECAUSE of the success of MHW in the West. So while people may beat you over the head with "MHGU>>>>>>>MHW" without providing solid reasoning, every Westerner still has MHW to thank for us getting this game at all.

Now, as someone who has completed every

Now, as someone who has completed every entry since MH on PS2, importing every title that we didn't get (including this title, thanks Capcom) I can confirm this is the greatest hits collection of almost all of the MH titles up to World (because World didn't exist when this came out originally). MHGU is, however, quantity over quality when it comes to number of monsters and graphics, which I always prefer in a game.

I only hope that one day we get a MH game with a crazy number of monsters like in MHGU and the slick HD graphics of MHW, with selectable playstyle (MH Classic or MHW).

Definitely worth your time and your money, $50 for literal hundreds of hours of playtime-- no one can argue with the value. Just keep in mind MHGU is the predecessor to MHW and the multitude of changes in MHW did not exist when MHGU first released and are not present in MHGU as a result.

And on a final note: let's not pit MHGU against MHW. We're all hunters and whether you're a veteran that enjoyed MHW or not we have it to thank for the Western release of MHGU, the expansion of our fanbase, and the revival of Capcom's interest in MH for the Western audience. MHW roped the new hunters in and MHGU will keep them here. Here's to the longevity of Monster Hunter!
  11. Sep 10, 2018
    This game is amazing, I have played Monster Hunter since MH4U. Played World and this and I have to say its this game is pretty great. More content than all the other games combined it seems! Its a 10 for me.
  12. Sep 9, 2018
    I've been playing MH since 2009 and i can proudly say this game is a celebration of all the games before it. This game might have been a solid 10/10 if some of the mechanics in the game were different and if it wasn't overshadowed by the QOL improvements from MHW. The sheer amount of things to do in this game is outstanding! Tons of monsters and hundreds of quests to keep you busy.I've been playing MH since 2009 and i can proudly say this game is a celebration of all the games before it. This game might have been a solid 10/10 if some of the mechanics in the game were different and if it wasn't overshadowed by the QOL improvements from MHW. The sheer amount of things to do in this game is outstanding! Tons of monsters and hundreds of quests to keep you busy. However, many of the basic quests fall flat and I found myself dreading the near endless collection quests that are all but removed from World. The game also suffers from balancing, it feels like some monsters were just thrown in to up the count. Sometimes less is more, the game can often throw too much at you and you can feel lost if you are playing solo. I find myself often using wiki's and guides for basic features that World includes right out of the gate. I will say having a portable MH game is truly awesome, it reminds me of my MHFU days back on the PSP and MH4 on my 3DS. Multiplayer with friends is a real treat, i love that you can play online or local. Lack of Voice chat sucks, but hopping on skype or Discord can lead to countless fun moments. This is a truly awesome game despite its small flaws, I'd highly recommend picking it up if you are a Monster Hunter fan and want more content. Expand
  13. Sep 11, 2018
    Monster Hunter World was fun, but for a lot of us veteran hunters, it was just too easy. While Generations Ultimate is easier than previous iterations, it feels more visceral and satisfying than World did. The grind is there, the collecting efforts are there, and the monsters are much more devastating without proper preparation. For any vet, you'll be happy with this, particularly with theMonster Hunter World was fun, but for a lot of us veteran hunters, it was just too easy. While Generations Ultimate is easier than previous iterations, it feels more visceral and satisfying than World did. The grind is there, the collecting efforts are there, and the monsters are much more devastating without proper preparation. For any vet, you'll be happy with this, particularly with the ability to finally play a real Monster Hunter game on the big screen. Expand
  14. Sep 23, 2018
    I first bought Switch when I heard rumors a MH game was coming to it; having been a fan of Tri in the past.

I was underwhelmed on downloading the Japanese e-store demo September 2017 and deleted it not long after, forgetting that the controls need "breaking in", as it were. (In my opinion, it's all designed to work best through muscle memory, including the menus). I considered buying the Japanese game but knowing how text-heavy these titles are, I was discouraged.

Well, fast-forward a year and I had come around to the idea of this remaster. It makes sense to me having upscaled ports of older games, as in this case it means the game can run near-flawlessly, and not be a battery hog (I tested MHGU with airplane mode on, and can easily get 3 hours of gameplay). One other thing: considering the amount of content, I'm still not sure how they fit all this into a 16gig cart?

The art-style is all there. The music is all there. The difficulty ramp is there. I've just broken into Hub G-rank which took me around 200 hours and it was TOUGH. MHGU is as compelling as I had hoped; and it's still as satisfying as ever working on that effective build for the hunt. Tinkering away.

I use online resources to scout locations of rare items etc. but I've always done that. For me, it's part and parcel of the experience. Employing the community's data and resources. It helps with prep, but you still need to do the hunting yourself - and the difficulty cranks when it needs to.

The demos never do justice to the MH experience as having a preset build defeats the point of the game to me, that being: growth and customization (for this same reason, Arena mode is one of the least popular game modes... despite providing a challenge).

A snip at £40 physical from a certain online marketplace. 10 out of 10.
  15. Dec 30, 2018
    Monster hunter has come to switch and it is better than ever! Bringing down giant monsters alone or with friends is rewarding and satisfying for both veterans and new players.

The core game-play is addicting and rewarding however, it can be a bit difficult for beginners to get to grips with. The gathering and crafting can be tedious at the beginning of the game but quickly becomes satisfying. The cycle of hunting, gathering and crafting is what keeps players coming back.

There are 93 large monsters in the game which provides hours of fun! Each have unique attacks and you will have to learn their attack patterns in order to bring them down. The monsters can be quite challenging and so if you are struggling to beat a monster than you could change your strategy, armour or weapon to help you overcome the challenge. There are hundreds of quests which consist of gathering, mining, slaying small creatures or hunting giant beasts. The quests are split into two sections; single player and multiplayer. In single player you fight by yourself but you can bring two cats with you that have special abilities (You can also play as one of these cats if you wish!). These are not as effective as another human player, but they still make the single player more enjoyable. The multiplayer is fantastic also! Finding groups to hunt with is quick and easy and the online is stable. (From my 75+ hours playing the switch game I have not had any online issues)

I mentioned earlier that the game had a crafting system. You will use the rocks, ores, plants, insects and monster parts you have gained from quests to make new weapons and armour sets. There are 14 different weapon types. These range from giant swords, hammers and axes, to lances and horns that grant you buffs, to even bows and medieval style guns! The variety is amazing and every weapon is viable and fun to use. The armour crafting is just as good. Each part of an armour set gives you a certain buff or skill. Mixing and matching these pieces will grant the hunter new abilities and traits to use whilst hunting. You can also add charms and decorations that grant even more skills.

Returning from Monster Hunter Generations are styles and hunter arts. The 4 that return grant the hunters either the ability to use more attacks with their chosen weapon, use more hunter arts, perform leap attacks at will or perform a stylish 'perfect evade' and do a strong counter. All the styles and fun to play. 2 new styles were added in this instalment; one that allows the hunter to carry a barrel that can give hunters buffs, new items or unleash a powerful attack and one that allows the hunter to activate more attacks and abilities with their chosen weapon. Hunter arts are special moves that hunters can use when the meter is full. Depending on the move it will take a different amount of time to charge up. These moves are extremely powerful and can deal massive damage. Depending on which style is equipped, you can have a different number of hunter arts.

Overall, the dozens of monsters to fight, unique and deep crafting systems and hundreds of quests make Monster Hunter: Generations Ultimate one of the most engaging games on the Nintendo Switch. As of writing this review I have put in 75 hours into the game and I am sure I will put in plenty more!

I give Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate a 10/10
  16. Jan 5, 2019
    great fun. handheld mode is super awesome, graphics are clearly designed to play handheld, because of the slight simple way of design, its easier to oversee when playing handheld (most games things get too small when you switch handheld, for example fortnite becomes disadvantaged if you play handheld.... this is something Monster Hunter on switch seemed to prevent)
    9/10 ........the 1
    9/10 ........the 1 point less is just because i wanted a new monster hunter game that takes full use of switch capabilities xD but definitely a must have in your switch collection.
  17. Apr 22, 2019
    If you're a fan of Monster Hunter, you already either have this game or you just don't have a Switch (yet). So this review is for those who are unfamiliar or have only played MH World and aren't sure if it's worth trying a classic (old) MH game.

Short and sweet recommendation for those new to Monster Hunter: if you like a challenging, rewarding, 3rd-player action-adventure game that focuses on huge boss fights and has some RPG elements, you'll probably like this. Think of it as one part boss rush, one part action-RPG, and one part loot-grind game. It's NOT for everyone, so play a demo or borrow a friend's copy if you can. But if you're still playing after 5 hours, you'll probably sink 100's if not 1000's of hours into Monster Hunter.

Semi-short and sweet recommendation for MHW fans: If you liked MHW and own a Switch, MHGU is a must-buy. It feels a bit different at first, and the menus and a few mechanics and systems are new and different. But at its core you are hunting huge monsters, tons of them, crafting weapons and armor, and you have all the variety of weapons, builds, and playstyles you had in MHW (and then some). Keep reading if you want to know more:

Yes, some of the mechanics are not as player-friendly, as many of the QoL and gameplay improvements of MHW are not in MHGU, but you'll adapt quickly. You may even grow to love the stuff that MHGU has that MHW doesn't (special moves and abilities called Hunter Arts & Styles; hunting as a Palico (aka Prowler); recruiting and training multiple Palicoes (literally dozens) and developing them into specialists for healing, fighting, support, traps, gathering, etc. The presentation is nowhere near as cinematic and the maps are nowhere near as alive, fluid, or dynamic as in MHW, but the art style is charming and everything has a certain quaintness to it that most people will enjoy for what it is. There is a bit of fan service-y stuff that will go over your head if you're new to the series, but you don't need any previous experience with the series to understand everything that's happening and what you need to do.
  18. Jun 1, 2019
    If you're looking for a title on Nintendo switch that you can easily invest dozens of hours into fighting epic monsters in the this series version of a love note to its fans before World, then i cant recommend this game enough to you. Only thing that brought the score down for me was there was confusion with the armor and weapon leveling system. To a point o felt like I wasnt making progress.
  19. Jul 8, 2019
    Monster hunter as usual, with some new mechanics to spice up gameplay.
    Overall fun and familiar, but seems to favor quantity over quality.
    Hunter arts, hyper monsters, and deviant monsters add a few elements and challenges to the gameplay, with more monsters than its predecessors. The amount of quests is a double edged sword. Lots to hunt and unlock, but conversely it creates a massive
    Monster hunter as usual, with some new mechanics to spice up gameplay.
    Overall fun and familiar, but seems to favor quantity over quality.
    The amount of quests is a double edged sword. Lots to hunt and unlock, but conversely it creates a massive to-do list which becomes tedious after a while.
  20. Aug 1, 2019
    It's a collaboration to every monster hunter title except World. It had its problems in the in-game cutscenes but the gameplay is addictively fun. Every Switch user needs to check this gem out for a fun action-RPG and long-lasting gameplay.
  21. Sep 12, 2019
    G-rank expansion, that adds every single earlier monster and introduces new systems.

As always it's a bit sad if you bought the previous MHG but this game makes up for it with the new content and monsters etc. Amazing if you love monster hunter and still really really good game without love for the franchise.

Doesn't look as good as world/iceborne but oh boi it has way more content.
  22. Nov 13, 2019
    Es un juego que te da una cantidad ingente de horas, sobre todo si te poner a farmear armaduras, armas y joyas, el modo historia es de los más largos que yo recuerde en un monster hunter hasta el online tiene modo historia, la curva de dificultad está bien, no aceptes una misión de rango G si no te consideras preparado o resultarás brutalmente violado, la música como siempre es una joya, yEs un juego que te da una cantidad ingente de horas, sobre todo si te poner a farmear armaduras, armas y joyas, el modo historia es de los más largos que yo recuerde en un monster hunter hasta el online tiene modo historia, la curva de dificultad está bien, no aceptes una misión de rango G si no te consideras preparado o resultarás brutalmente violado, la música como siempre es una joya, y el diseño de los pocos monstruos nuevos son la hostia
    PD: dichoso Gore Magala
  23. Dec 8, 2019
    Absolutely the best monster hunter game released so far and that's including world.
    There are so many monsters and so many things to do and you can play as a palico.
    The game has it all.
  24. Apr 12, 2020
    Abgesehen von MHW ist das ältere MHGenU mein Lieblingteil der Serie! I manchen Mechaniken geht MHGenU sogar noch weiter jmins Detail als MHW.
  25. Apr 15, 2020
    Every MH game is great and this one is great because it has a ton of content and it's hard as hell. Probably the hardest MH game ever. Maybe too hard..
    The arts system hurts the core MH gameplay. Some people love it, some hate it. I don't like it. I prefer to have all the moves in one style only.
    This game is inferior to MH World in terms of gameplay and graphics, and the fact that it came out after MH World kinda hurst it a little. It feels like a step back in the MH series.
    Overall is a great game and because it is the only one available for the Switch makes it better. But if a more improved MH game does not come out to the Switch in the near future I see no point in the series continuing with their hand held console.
  26. May 22, 2020
    Unless you have Monster Hunter World, this is a good second choice! Very fun and addicting.
  27. Jul 19, 2020
    The Best Monster Hunter game ever made. If you want challenge in every hunt, then look no further, this game got you covered. The game is polished and well made. definitely the developers took time and love in making this awesome game. Replay value is high, each hunt is satisfying you will want more.
  28. Jul 21, 2020
    Great game with heaps of replay ability and Great looking weapons. Love the add of the special hunter arts they implemented and love the variety of monsters. Though modern day the controls are a bit janky

Generally favorable reviews - based on 52 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    Feb 26, 2019
    Those who were introduced to Monster Hunter by World may find Ultimate dense and unwelcoming at first blush, but stick with the game and you'll uncover much to enjoy. [Issue #37 – January/February 2019, p. 74]
  2. Jan 22, 2019
    Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is an acquired taste that long-standing fans of the franchise will happily drink from. The formula for killing monsters and turning them into better gear to take on the bigger monsters is an addictive loop that is only broken up by the mindless and annoying 'egg delivery' quests, and occasional battle control limitations. Whether playing online with a group of friends or in Solo mode, this is a menu-heavy experience that may easily scare away series newcomers who are used to Monster Hunter: World. While Ultimate is not a streamlined experience, beneath the thick and scary exterior is an extremely deep system-based epic adventure.
  3. Nov 29, 2018
    Once you get past its daunting and archaic systems, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate continuously challenges you with the most thrilling gameplay and rewarding loop few games can match. Meanwhile, veterans will also feel at home - ‘G rank’ awaits you!