8.7

1. Dec 7, 2018
  2. Dec 7, 2018
    One of the must have games for the switch, amazing amount of content and a vast diverse array of fighters, modes and trophy/collections! It's everything you'd want for a nintendo beat em up, nothing quite more amusing than watching nintendo franchise characters plummet each other!
    I did notice that it can be very overwhelming at the start figuring everything out, bit of a learning curve in finding your feet and once you do it's fantastic.
    online play is hit and miss, can be a bit of a lag fest depending on who hosts..
  3. Dec 7, 2018
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate takes a superb game to new level with so much content that is near to impossible to try all there is included in it.
  4. Dec 7, 2018
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is really disappointing. When it was first announced, I felt it would be one of the best 2018 games. However, when I saw it at the E3, it let me down.

The new fighters, like Daisy, Isabelle and Chrom, are nothing interesting with the exception of King K. Rool, Inkling and Ridley. No new 3rd-party characters neither, which is why there's a huge fandom of this series and, anyway, their requests are not taken in account.

My most disliked announcement was the new Assist Trophies. People felt disappointed when Waluigi was an AT once again. In my case, I really felt depressed when I saw Bomberman was one too. I mean, really? An Assist Trophy? Since the announcement of Super Bomberman R as a launch title for the Switch, both Smash and Bomberman fans determined it was time to include him as a playable fighter in the next Smash, not something else. Even notable personalities and brands agreed with it. There are a lot of reasons of why he deserves it much more than the current 3rd-party characters such as Wario Blast!, the series in every Nintendo platform, the Mario Party series developed by Hudson Soft, etc. Is this a joke? Even though both Bomberman and Hudson Soft had a long relationship with Nintendo, they just gave him mere respect.

Going on with the Assist Trophies, this feature really ruined more 3rd-party characters. Later, they announced Ashley, Isaac, Knuckles, Krystal, Shadow, Shovel Knight, Starfy and Zero as AT's as well, despite being requested by fans too. What? Why the overuse of this Assist Trophy thing? I thought Smash accepted relevant characters like those as fighters but no, looks like in a very different way.

The 3rd-party characters are disappointing too. Bayonetta is not a very notable series as others. So why is she here once again? She doesn't deserve to be in a crossover fighting game like this. Nobody requested her. Hideo Kojima, who I don't think is great, asked Nintendo to include Solid Snake to Brawl. He left Konami and wasn't included in 3DS/Wii U but is here again. And later, they announced the only new 3rd-party character: Simon Belmont. So why did Konami re-add a character whose latest game was hated by the Internet media and fans and one whose series is dead since 2014. Bomberman is the only current notable series owned by Konami thanks to the success of Super Bomberman R. Nonetheless, Bomberman is less important than Metal Gear and Castlevania? Just because they're overrated it doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to be playable. Bomberman is a more iconic and original video game character for both casual and hardcore gamers than Snake, Bayonetta, Ryu, Cloud and Simon. He is just like Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man. The problem is that Konami doesn't know how to treat him. He was much better with Hudson Soft instead.

Even some of the 1st-party characters are disappointing. Daisy is just like Peach and could better fit as a skin for her and not as a separate character. The same with Dr. Mario: you still treat him as a different character apart from Mario even though he is a clone of him. That's absurd. He is just Mario wearing a doctor suit. Why didn't you add him as part of his interchangeable skins? Also, why are there a lot of Fire Emblem characters? Most of them are echo fighters or clones. Even Zelda and Kirby have more legacy and popularity than Fire Emblem and they don't get a new character at least. And Wario still has his boring WarioWare style instead of the more appreciated Wario Land one.

The game doesn't have so interesting features. The new story mode, World of Light, is repetitive and nothing like the Subspace Emissary, whose removal was due to a pointless reason. How they made all of the Final Smashes automatic and the addition of more Echo Fighters and clones is worthless. All this make this game look like a Deluxe version of the 3DS/Wii U game rather than a new game.

Moreover, another disappointing thing was the new Spirits thing, which took off the possibility to even more characters like Rayman, Shantae and, once again, Bomberman. This new Spirits feature messed the crossover style of this game up a lot, together with the Assist Trophies.

To end up, I totally dislike this game. I don't deny I had my hopes to it but I do say this game screwed itself. I learned you don't have to expect anything good about it like requesting your favourite characters to appear in it. If they do, they will most probably end up being and AT or a Spirit, but not playable. I will never play nor have interest in Super Smash Bros. ever again. This game is the major disappointment of 2018 and one of the main reasons why the Switch isn't as cool as it was in 2017. I would rather play with the characters I like in their respective franchises than in a crossover fighting game like this.

Thank you, Nintendo. Just go and take care of your other IP's and make this entry the last one of its series. Super Mario Odyssey is way better than this.
  5. Dec 7, 2018
    It is not a perfect game, we have to make it clear, it has a lot of port and the truth ruins several things and traditions that the saga had always maintained, that without mentioning that the marketing campaign was excessive and practically showed the whole game without having left , it hurt me especially to see how Nintendo prostitutes his demos everywhere, erasing any surprise that theIt is not a perfect game, we have to make it clear, it has a lot of port and the truth ruins several things and traditions that the saga had always maintained, that without mentioning that the marketing campaign was excessive and practically showed the whole game without having left , it hurt me especially to see how Nintendo prostitutes his demos everywhere, erasing any surprise that the player could have when playing it. Expand
  6. Dec 7, 2018
    The "definitive" Smash that is not so definitive, particularly I did not like many of its inclusions, I can be better if I had not changed or replaced what was already established, and it is the Smash that has added more clones.
  7. Dec 9, 2018
    this is the definitive version, improves everything seen in previous installments, very entertaining and fun to play with friends. I recommend it a lot I have weighed good times with my brother, especially when we bet who will be the king of smash bross. I do not have any complaints, in the technical area it excels and meets the standards of today very flashy at 60 fps very stable. Withthis is the definitive version, improves everything seen in previous installments, very entertaining and fun to play with friends. I recommend it a lot I have weighed good times with my brother, especially when we bet who will be the king of smash bross. I do not have any complaints, in the technical area it excels and meets the standards of today very flashy at 60 fps very stable. With this delivery we gain the users and the world of videogames in general Expand
  8. Dec 8, 2018
    Fighting games these days are the biggest cash cows as most of them are polluted by scummy DLC practices, little content and small rosters. Thankfully Smash Bros Ultimate doesn't follow that path and shows how a complete game should be.

It has a roster of 70 characters (I think it's the biggest roster ever in a Smash Bros game), tons of collectibles as well as a single player mode that lasts around 15-20 hours. I also heavily admire the fact that unlike every other fighting game, this one doesn't just throw the whole roster in your face from the very beggining. You start off with just 8 character and from there you can ulock the rest by playing through the story mode. It's a key feature for me because it actually makes you feel rewarded for playing the game, something that many developers do not understand today.

The only criticism I have for Smash Bros Ultimate is about the roster. I don't want to be ungrateful towards the number of characters we get to play, but seeing 3 different variations of Mario, Samus and Link taking away slots is annoying and unfair. I'd take Pyra/Mythra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 over 1 of those variations any day.. Octopath Traveler, TWEWY, Golden Sun, all those games could've had a playable character (NOT assist trophy) but no... Instead we get Link, toon link, young Link and fat Link. I also think there are characters who should have been skins or assist trophies instead of actual playable characters.

The game is great and worth your money, but I'll take away 2 points just for the fact that some franchises got left out for the sake of getting Mario and Zelda duplicates.
  9. Dec 9, 2018
    The best SMB that I even seen, a lot of content, a huge map in the adventure mode, 74+1 characters, 103 scenarios, the return of old mechanics and a few new ones, tons of collectibles and iconic characters not only from Nintendo but from Konami, Capcom, Sega, Square Enix and even more as collectible spirits, even Indie games, definitble a must have
    But if you are a Nintendo,s hater, I
    But if you are a Nintendo,s hater, I invite U to give this game a score of 0.0
  10. Dec 9, 2018
    Es increíble me ha gustado mucho, es el mejor juego que he jugado genial regalo navideño
  11. Dec 7, 2018
    N64:Fun game
    Melee: More complex and faster game than N64
    Brawl: Slower game rythm..bad (Project M was a must have) Smash 4: Better.. but low content Ultimate: The Best. Nintendo has achieved the best Smash Bros ever created, but it seems that they have not been satisfied with just that, they have also created one of the best games in history, wich will talk about it in the
    N64:Fun game
    Melee: More complex and faster game than N64
    Brawl: Slower game rythm..bad (Project M was a must have)
    Smash 4: Better.. but low content
    Ultimate: The Best.

Nintendo has achieved the best Smash Bros ever created, but it seems that they have not been satisfied with just that, they have also created one of the best games in history, wich will talk about it in the following years. I still do not believe it... what beast you have created Nintendo... even scares
  12. Dec 7, 2018
    Joker from persona 5 was in!, ...................Take that Waluigi Fanboys.
  13. Dec 7, 2018
    The best super smash bros. Starting with the story, the adventure game, having to unlock one by one all the players, the new feature of having spirits, it’s the best. The only thing I would change is the same of all the switch games, I don’t understand why they’re not able to use the touch screen, ir would be easier to select players/spirits and I would have given a little more protagonismThe best super smash bros. Starting with the story, the adventure game, having to unlock one by one all the players, the new feature of having spirits, it’s the best. The only thing I would change is the same of all the switch games, I don’t understand why they’re not able to use the touch screen, ir would be easier to select players/spirits and I would have given a little more protagonism to spirits, as giving an specific power as summoning a thunderbolt pushing a button every x seconds or something that is more visible, since it feels a little bit abstract the power and how it affects the game, however the game is still perfect. Expand
  14. jte
    Dec 7, 2018
    The ultimate super smash bros game. The game play is top notch, and it is loaded with so many things to do. I will easily spend over 100 hours on this game
  15. Dec 7, 2018
    Outstanding! Really the best entry in the series. The moves, roster, visuals, music, gameplay, it's all a perfect love letter to everything that has come before.
  16. Dec 7, 2018
    My first smash bros game and I love it, so much fun. For those who think this game is a port. It's not and never will be one. So just stop fxxk around and try to trash this masterwork.
  17. Dec 7, 2018
    Been playing this game almost non stop since the release. Nothing but pure joy. Enough said.
  18. Dec 7, 2018
    This really is the ultimate Smash Bros. game. It is a love letter to Nintendo, the series itself, and gaming as a whole. Every single aspect has been painstakingly crafted with love and an extreme attention to detail. The amount of content is mind boggling. Thank you to Masahiro Sakurai and his team for creating this masterpiece.
  19. Dec 7, 2018
    The graphics are amazing, full of stuff to do, world of light its really fun but honestly gets a little boring over time (If you play for like an hour, stop and play again it won't feel as repetitive as it would). The controls are really nice, soundtrack is phenomenal, my minor issue with this game is the launch speed, its so easy to knock someone and also really easy to be beaten. SpiritsThe graphics are amazing, full of stuff to do, world of light its really fun but honestly gets a little boring over time (If you play for like an hour, stop and play again it won't feel as repetitive as it would). The controls are really nice, soundtrack is phenomenal, my minor issue with this game is the launch speed, its so easy to knock someone and also really easy to be beaten. Spirits are kind of confusing at first. besides that everything is perfect. Important to notice that many of those bad reviews are from nintendo haters, i opened some profiles and saw "breath of the wild 0" "Mario odissey 0" "pokemon lets go 0" so ignore those sony and xbox fanboys and enjoy this masterpiece Expand
  20. Dec 8, 2018
    Definitively the best game in the series, you need to take some time to really appreciate how this is a huge deal, so many franchises and so many details that makes this a tribute to the gaming world , best video game crossover ever
  21. Dec 7, 2018
    Absolutely perfect! The last Smash Bros that I played was the 64 version, and everything is great on this Ultimate version, lots of characters, stages, soundtracks... graphics are very good, as much as the ultimate blows. I give 10 even without playing the history mode... the game delivers what he promises and much more.

Thanks for this masterpiece, Nintendo!
  22. Dec 7, 2018
    It´s amazing game, is posible to play a lot of time with the aventure mode and the online.
  23. Dec 7, 2018
    Finally a switch game that is well worth the $60 plus price tag. What are you waiting for? Go and buy it.
  24. Dec 7, 2018
    This is 100% the definitive smash game. the game play has been perfected and we have all the characters from the past and some new ones. anyone who says otherwise does not know what they are talking about. with so many options in multiplayer and a great single player experience. its all you can ask for.

some small modes like home-run contest and break the targets have been removed but really never was a big part of smash anyway. the game is amazing and it is a must have for the switch especially if you are a smash fan
  25. Dec 7, 2018
    Plays smooth as silk, World of Light is light years ahead of Subspace Emissary, Online is fantastic. Trumps all previous Smash Brothers games in all ways!
  26. Dec 7, 2018
    In brief, a pretty good fighting game. This game has a story/adventure mode and multiple other things to do. You can fight as your favourite character against fight against people online as well! Very fun and I would recommend this game to new Switch owners!
  27. Dec 7, 2018
    As a first time smash player, this game is amazing!!!!

As a first time smash player, this game is amazing!!!!

There is just so much depth that goes into this game, the music, the art style, the character designs, and most importantly the gameplay. Everything feels extremely well polished down to the nitty gritty details. i especially like how each character feels extremely unique, and is portrayed just like they are in the original video game it is from. No copy pasting here! (Take note Bethesda and EA)

Furthermore, I think this game has extremely good replay value, every character has a different playstyle and seems like there is just a general high skill cap if you want to master this game. Very well done game overall.
  28. Dec 7, 2018
    All these fake 0 scores from people who probably do not have the game or just haters. Coincidence that these accounts have given specific 3 games of Pokemon lets go 0 as well while not reviewing any other games?
  29. Dec 7, 2018
    The best fighting game of all time period. With an incredible amount of content, gorgeous visuals, amazing music and gameplay that is incredibly fun and satisfying, Super Smash Bros Ultimate is arguably the best game on the Switch and will be played by many, for many years to come. Nintendo could have simply ported Smash 4 with all the dlc, but instead they went a step further completelyThe best fighting game of all time period. With an incredible amount of content, gorgeous visuals, amazing music and gameplay that is incredibly fun and satisfying, Super Smash Bros Ultimate is arguably the best game on the Switch and will be played by many, for many years to come. Nintendo could have simply ported Smash 4 with all the dlc, but instead they went a step further completely revamping the menus, bringing back old fighters alongside plenty of new ones, a story mode that makes unlocking characters way more enjoyable (although it may not be as interesting as subspace emissary in brawl) as well as plenty of new modes and improved online matchmaking. I rarely say this about games, but Super Smash Bros Ultimate is simply one of the best and most polished games i have ever played. If you have a Switch this game is well worth the price and a necessity in your videogame collection. Expand
  30. Dec 7, 2018
    best smash bros game ever! there are so many amazing characters, and even more are coming through DLC, including joker from persona 5! sakurai was right, EVERYONE IS HERE!
  31. Dec 7, 2018
    This has to be by far the greatest Nintendo game that I have ever played in my entire life.
  32. Dec 7, 2018
    This is defenintly the best smash games. A lot of new characters maps and gameplay, overall amaizing game.
  33. Dec 7, 2018
    Just the fact that they have 74 characters, plus 6 DLC ones, and 103 stages, already gives this a 10, especially since Everyone Is Here
  34. Dec 7, 2018
    Best smash bros game ever. easy 10/10. Don't listen to all these 0 score haters. Pick it up, love it and play it forever to come.
  35. Dec 7, 2018
    My sister, girlfriend, and I have been playing all day and loving it. Only having eight characters at first has been really fun. It's more engaging to unlock the characters just by playing longer.
  36. Dec 7, 2018
    greatest, NEW, smash brother game ever, this is no doubt, an instant classic.
  37. Dec 7, 2018
    For this review, it’s going to be mostly just be showing simple matches that would not spoil the game, this game is massive, probably one of the only games many people will buy this year alone.
    For this reason, I just want to review the game itself and not spoil the game for anyone.
    As always, I will be reviewing this game with the five pillars of gaming – Graphics, Gameplay, Sound,
    As always, I will be reviewing this game with the five pillars of gaming –

Graphics, Gameplay, Sound, Story, and controls.

Let’s begin with the story –

So, this magical force has come to steal the souls away from all the smash fighters making them, “Spirits”

These spirits will come into play later, but essentially the single player story mode is the player taking on and slowly taking back all these spirits in a climactic final battle with the bad guy.
    It’s extremely simple, but a good vessel to push a reason why you are fighting multiple of the same character, or an evil version of Mario, or how to get all these spirits without fighting the same battles over and over again.
    Small tweaks on the conditions of victory make it a nice story mode, but a basic one.
    Not why you bought Smash Bros. to begin with.
    Nintendo are all about those call backs though, and you’ll see that immediately when you begin playing the simple, yet extremely deep, smash battles that you can create.

This is where the story will transfer into game play, where you can play 1 on 1 skirmish styled matches with any number of rules under the sun.
    From bombs being the only items to competitive level rules of final destination only no items, fox only.
    That is the beauty of this fighting game, you can take Nintendo’s original 8 fighters, and battle them to the death.

Donkey fighting Pikachu because he thinks the yellow mouse is a banana, Mario beating up Yoshi for tax evasion, everyone is here.
    Everyone that you are willing to unlock that is.
    If you have never played Smash Bros. before, it works like this.
    The game usually begins with a limited set of Characters, requiring you to then complete certain challenges, battles, modes to then unlock the chance to battle these new characters to play with.
    But how does this game differ from other fighting games?
    Simple

Instead of having an HP system in many fighting games, this has a percentage level, the higher it goes, the easier it is to be knocked out of the stage.
    Being knocked out of the stage counts as a loss, which would be something the player wants to avoid while actively attempting to defeat those around them.
    To accomplish this, you do what the game’s title implies, you smash…

No, not that type of “Smash”, this isn’t Netflix and chill.

Smash bros require you to battle it out for victory, first one to smash the opponent off the stage wins, put simply.

With varying conditions like time and life stock, it’s a fairly simple concept, yet effective fun game play.
    This game is crisp, clean and a real treat –
    Graphics

I have no tested this game for its frames, but it would be difficult to say that it is not smooth or nice to experience in any way.
    The frames never dropped on me, and felt like a constant 60 FPS, while retaining graphics that were even better than Smash Bros on the Wii U, and that was full HD smash as well.
    I honestly didn’t think it could get better, and yet, it did.
    The clean visuals mixed with a solid frame rate breathe beauty and refinement that a PC gamer would drool over.

From the deep blacks, to the crisp Mario bright colors, it’s a real beauty.
    But the many series were done right, no series looks poorly done, all character models look rendered properly, the game series here all look and sound great.

Speaking of the sound, those sound effects are all present, from the coin to Pac-man’s chomp, it’s all here. And the music is outstanding, every series sounds on point, if a bit better in my opinion.
    Classic songs make appearances along with their respective game series, with the ability to hear their songs while duking it out with these legendary series, it makes for a great feeling.
    Nostalgia is extremely strong with this music combined with the sound effects, really making this a joy to listen to while playing. You can control all aspects of sound and music in this game to your content.
    The Switch is no stranger to multiple control schemes, from the pro controller to the joy-cons, you can play this game your way. This game is accessible to almost anyone, with simple controls that are easy to master, these controls allow you to get batter if you desire to be the best, while retaining the simplicity of Smash. The combo’s you can do, the charge attacks, the special moves, all of them are very easy to learn and use with the given buttons on the controllers. Be it in handheld mode, to using the Joy-cons, the game works great for anyone new or well versed to the series. Anyone who has never played Smash bros, if you have a Switch, you need to buy this game and play it.
  38. Dec 7, 2018
    Best smash game so far. If you have enjoyed the previous entries you will definitely enjoy this one. It does a great job of balancing the game so both casual and competitive players will enjoy it. With over 70 characters and over 100 stages there is enough content that you can stay occupied for hours on end. Overall, I am very impressed with this game and it is definitely worth a purchase.
  39. Dec 8, 2018
    My god, this is hands down one of the best games I have ever played. Super Smash Bros has been one of my all time favourite series since the N64 days and I can proudly say that this one is the best in the series. Everything is here, the combat feels like melee (if not, better), 70+ fighters and everyone I have used so far feels so unique and fun to play. Also, my favourite game soundtrackMy god, this is hands down one of the best games I have ever played. Super Smash Bros has been one of my all time favourite series since the N64 days and I can proudly say that this one is the best in the series. Everything is here, the combat feels like melee (if not, better), 70+ fighters and everyone I have used so far feels so unique and fun to play. Also, my favourite game soundtrack "Crocodile Cacophony" from DKC2 is in it! I love battling to that track.

On top of all that, there are so many modes to play and you could sit on it for hours with the biggest smile on your face. I know from experience.
    I am so happy. Buy this game and love it to death. Is it safe to say Nintendo are owning the gaming industry right now?
    Thank you, Sakurai for this god tier creation.
  40. Dec 8, 2018
    increíble juego tanto en modo historia como en batallas en línea,una compra asegurada para todas las personas que tengan un Switch,espectacular la cantidad de contenido increible
  41. Dec 8, 2018
    Smash Ultimate is really the ultimate game in the Super Smash Bros. series.
    Smash Ultimate is really the ultimate game in the Super Smash Bros. series.
    The game builds upon its predecessor, while improving the content and gameplay in nearly every aspect. While the amount of completly new characters isn't as big as in previous games, it brings back every fighter from every previous Smash game. Sure, characters like Chrom and Ken are only Eco fighters, but every newcomer feels unique and characters like Simon Belmont and King K. Rool. have a very unique moveset. Some returning characters also received huge changes, and some of them feel like entirely different fighters.
  42. Dec 7, 2018
    Pure AWESOME. Variety, balance and a lot more fun than previous entries in the series. Good job Nintendo.
  43. Dec 8, 2018
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is finally out and i love it!
    So many modes, so many characters, so many stages and SO MANY POSSIBILITIES! Implementing the Spirits may seem weird and complicated at first but it's a solid new implementation that really changes many matches. Hours and hours of play time, beautiful graphics and more content coming soon!
    The only things that lowered my rating
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is finally out and i love it!

The only things that lowered my rating from 10 to 9 are the online connection issues and some little details that are a bit annoying, such as being kicked out of the arena when changing you preferred stage for the next fight or not beeing able to use the touchscreen in a menu.

But like Sakurai said in the Nintendo Direct: "It's the most Smash you get for your buck"
    It's worth every cent you spend on it.
  44. Dec 7, 2018
    Fake 0's from people that havent even played.

This is 100 percent the definitive smash experience. I havent been able to stop playing since picking it up. Best smash game since melee, so much content, charming and beautiful graphics, everything you expect from smash.
  45. Dec 7, 2018
    Best Smash ever? Probably.

A billion characters, tons of game modes, single-player content, multi-player content, RPG content, casual content, hardcore content... it's everything you can and should expect from one of the premiere franchises of Nintendo.
  46. Dec 7, 2018
    a fantastic insane brawler. Its more realistically 8-9 for a score but as the way of things with metacritic, there is a need to offset the 0s from the fanboys with hurt feelings
  47. Dec 7, 2018
    Best game ever. Its probably one of the only games to be worth the £60 price tag, if you have a Nintendo switch this is a must buy.
  48. Dec 7, 2018
    First of all, I will start out by saying this; DO NOT believe anyone here who is giving this game a zero out of 10 score. Anything below 7 is absurd, and probably being done by butthurt Sony fans trying to rain on Nintendo's parade here.

With that being said, I will say that Ultimate is the greatest Smash Bros. since Melee with ease (given more time with it, I may even come to terms that it surpasses it). Everything about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate lives up to the name; there are over 70 characters, 100 stages (each of which has a Battlefield and Final Destination layout choice), and 800 tracks (which can be listened to even when the console is sleeping) to choose from, leaving an endless array of match combinations for fans to enjoy. Trophies have been replaced with pictures of characters (all of which dwell not only into the history of Nintendo, but also the likes of Capcom, Square, Konami, and more), known as Spirits, and there are well over 1000 for gamers to collect. These Spirits are the central point for the story mode, World of Light, which pits Kirby surviving an all-out massacre of every Smash character. It is then up to him to save them in a map reminiscent of a Super Nintendo overhead RPG title. Characters you battle on the map have spirits attached to them (for example, there is a battle where King K. Rool has the Spirit of a Snorlax and literally is giant and doesn't move). Along the way, you will gain many spirits that will give you an advantage as the story progresses (don't worry if it sounds confusing, there is an auto-equip setting that will give you the best suitable spirits before each battle). The story mode is also pretty long as well (we're talking 24+ hours, and that would be rushing). Classic Mode, All Star-Mode, and a couple others are here as well, so there is a lot to dive into single player-wise.

Ultimate (like all Smash titles) shines in multiplayer. There have been QOL tweaks that really boost the overall experience before battles, with the rules being displayed first (you can even save your own set, which is really a lifesaver for those of us who invest countless hours into multiplayer). Stage selection is then shown before characters are selected, which can alter the strategy a little bit. Every stage now supports up to 8 players (after 5 it gets hard to keep up with the action IMO). There is also a new mode called Squad Strike, in which each stock you have remaining is a different individual character (think of it as an elimination match). Online has been given a giant overhaul this time around, with match-searching criteria added in to make this the easiest game yet to find opponents who want to smash the same way you do. Online is really great this time around, so I recommend you experiencing it for yourself without me spoiling it too much.

What I love so much about Ultimate is its refusal to hold the player's hand, unlike many modern Nintendo offerings. Whereas Brawl felt geared toward the casual audience and, Smash 4 felt like a mix between Melee and Brawl, Ultimate feels like it completely cold-shoulders the casual at points and welcomes the hardcore. This is noticeable from not only the CPU strength (Lv 3 in this game is equivalent to Brawl's Lv 7, easy), but also in the combat, which is where Ultimate absolutely gleams. The combat gameplay and physics are extremely close to Melee, with hits feeling harder and gameplay much faster than 4. These updates are welcomed by not only the competitive, but those who felt as if Nintendo abandoned them with Brawl. Sure, 4 was definitely an upgrade, but not near as much as this. I strongly consider Ultimate as the spiritual successor to Melee in every sense of the word. With that said, I be no means am implying that this is ONLY a game for the core audience; Ultimate is a blast for EVERYONE, but how you choose to indulge in it is strictly up to you. The casual gameplay is still there, only this time its deep enough to hook in those who left after Melee.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate stands true to its name in every way I could have ever imagined. When Brawl was announced at E3 2006, I was anticipated beyond belief for the true successor to the game I spent so many hours with during my childhood. When Brawl failed to live up to my expectations, I was hesitant about 4. Although it was a step in the right direction, it failed to live up to the standard that Melee set. I am proud to stand here today and say that Ultimate more than lives up to the hype; it is a true sequel to not only Melee, but your childhood memories. Turning on the Switch makes me feel as if I am 12 years old again, and I have enjoyed every second of it. So let the good times roll, in the most ultimate way possible.
  49. Dec 7, 2018
    Great game!!! As pessoas que estão reclamando em sua maioria nem jogaram, ou simplesmente estão decepcionado com algo que queriam, tem seu defeitos porém, analisando como qualidade de jogo e pela diversão que proporciona, é nota 10 mesmo.
  50. Dec 7, 2018
    This game needs a 10 because it's amazing, never i enjoyed more whit a battle, this game made me feel good when i win and feel good when i lose because i need to be better for get more winnings.
    PD: the 0 notes are trollers o haters ignore him.
  51. Dec 7, 2018
    beautiful
    best smash game by far away, perfect, i can´t stop playing.......
  52. Dec 7, 2018
    Una auténtica oda a los videojuegos. Banda sonora sobresaliente, jugabilidad increible, escenarios geniales... De lo mejor de este año. Recomendado
  53. Dec 7, 2018
    “No matter how you slice, this game has the most smash for your buck”. This sentence is simply the most accurate way to describe this masterpiece. From the single-player content, which is repetitive at times, and likely the worst part of the game, to the 70 Character roster, to the stages, to the character unlocking, every aspect of Sakurai’s newest game just scream “Ultimate”. That said,“No matter how you slice, this game has the most smash for your buck”. This sentence is simply the most accurate way to describe this masterpiece. From the single-player content, which is repetitive at times, and likely the worst part of the game, to the 70 Character roster, to the stages, to the character unlocking, every aspect of Sakurai’s newest game just scream “Ultimate”. That said, if you don’t like Smash Bros. , this game isn’t doing anything to change that. It is truly made for both fans and newcomers. Expand
  54. Dec 7, 2018
    This is easily the Best Smash Game I've ever played, props to the entire development team for their hard work.
  55. Dec 7, 2018
    Best Smash Bros game in the series so far. Feels better then Smash for Wii U, plays better. Loving this game. The team did a great job. A must have game. Join the Joker hype train! CHOO-CHOOO!

56. Dec 7, 2018
    Super Smash Brothers is one of my favorite titles for the Nintendo Switch which further justifies that 20$ for a year of Nintendo online. The graphics are fantastic and the game has significant replay value that will keep you coming back for more. Now most people may be turned off by the difficulty of part of this game however being a dark souls veteran this did not deter me from having aSuper Smash Brothers is one of my favorite titles for the Nintendo Switch which further justifies that 20$ for a year of Nintendo online. The graphics are fantastic and the game has significant replay value that will keep you coming back for more. Now most people may be turned off by the difficulty of part of this game however being a dark souls veteran this did not deter me from having a great time. I do plan on buying the fighter pack and playing the heck out of this game for the next few months! I highly recommend it for your switch it is definitely a must buy! Expand
  57. Dec 7, 2018
    This game honors it's predecessors ever since the smash bros for 64 beautifully! From the wide arsenal of 74 plus characters to over 100 stages there is just endless content for everyone. The new spirit mode and classic mode ensures that the single player mode is complex as well.
  58. Dec 7, 2018
    Best super smash bros ever, world of light mode is very impressive. Old characters with new characters make this game perfect.
  59. Dec 7, 2018
    don't even have the game. already know it will be amazing. very excited to play
  60. Dec 8, 2018
    The adventure mode is so bad, has filled me with so much hatred and malice, that it has marred the rest of the game for me. It's very rare that less content would have made a game better, but I feel insulted for being presented with such garbage and told that it's something to do.

I'd honestly rather slice my arm open than be forced to subject myself to such an onslaught of garbage. They put no thought into fun, and story is nonexistent. It's a complete waste of dev time and resources that feels like a full-force slap to the face. This is shameful.

The rest of the game is great, of course. It's Smash, it's formulaic at this point and this game hasn't really done anything *new,* exactly, but it's a fun fighter.
  61. Dec 9, 2018
    Very disappointed in what I thought was going to be the best game in the series. Over the years I put hundreds of hours into each Smash game and loved everyone as it came out. This however has been a disappointment and has left me wishing we got a port of Smash 4 instead of this new game.

PROS: The game introduces great new modes such as Squad Strike & the inclusion of tournament mode

PROS:
    The game introduces great new modes such as Squad Strike & the inclusion of tournament mode again. Visually the game is a 10/10 and is simply beautiful. The roster is huge and includes every fighter from every past iteration, so you'd needn't worry about your mains not showing up. The variety in character design this time around is great. Usually character designs are based of the latest games in the series but this time we are seeing character iterations from different games across their respected series. Example: From the Zelda franchise we see: 'Breath of the wild' Link, 'Ocarina of time' Ganondorf & 'A Link Between Worlds' Zelda. This makes the game feel like a better representation of the history of Nintendo games. New in game mechanics such as air dodging and perfect shields feel great. Stage morph is also a brilliant idea that works very well, especially in longer timed battles.

CONS:
    Mechanically the game feel clunky with what feels like slight input lag with commands. Initially we though this was just a new game with changes that we weren't used too but after days of playing we have all come to the sad realisation that this is just the game itself. I was so excited to have this feel like the smoothest Smash yet and getting really competitive with friends but a number of us have all experienced the same thing and this is incredibly sad. Also I should add we have tried both the Pro controllers and Gamecube.

The online doesn't run as smooth as you'd like either unless you use a LAN cable. Again this is disappointing but not much of a surprise. You can't play a number of game modes online or on local wireless either. This means no tournaments or squad strike with friends unless it's on the one system.

The 'World of Light' story mode is not fun. This is battle after battle with a new gimmick each fight. There is basically not much more to the story at all other that what was shown off in the opening cut scene. This leads to a story mode in which you basically grind for hours doing the same thing over and over and its long and boring. This is a a shame as what little cutscene footage there is was absolutely stunning and left me wanting way more. Seeing all our favourite characters interact is something we all wanted to see and unfortunately its not what we got.

Game modes such as 'Break the targets' & 'Home run contest' are gone. You constantly earn gold similarly to all the previous games but with a serious lack of anything to use it on. Theres no trophies & no slot machine mode leaving you with the shop to simply buy more spirits. Yippee...

Finally I'd like to say I really thought by now we would get a Smash game where more characters are balanced. As with previous games a huge number of the roster are so weak that they are nearly not worth playing. I'm sure we will see patches come through in due time but as for now not being able to play some of your favourite characters cause you know you they will get stomped sucks.

CONCLUSION:
    Over all the game is not bad. It's far from the best the series and is honestly only scoring so high due to to the hype built up before hand. I hope the game is patched to buff/nerf some characters so that more of the roster is viable. Hopefully the game will grow on me as time goes on but as of now I have to say it's clear that Sakurai and his team had deadlines to meet with this game. The story mode in particular is very repetitive and the lack of standard game modes & trophies is sad and it was all due to a lack of development time. If you're a fan of Smash the game is defiantly worth the but don't expect the master piece that people are portraying it to be.
  62. Dec 8, 2018
    BEST fighting game ever PERIOD!!! If there wasnt BOTW and Mario Odyssey it would be best game ever :D
  63. Dec 8, 2018
    This game is just amazing so fun so good and the world of light mode is prefrection the ending cutscenes are amazing the last hour of world of light is actually amazing like hurry up and get to it when you do it will be worth it and 10/10 yes and all the haters doing reviews please stop giving the game a zero if it deserves a zero the game would not be playable at all buggy as frick andThis game is just amazing so fun so good and the world of light mode is prefrection the ending cutscenes are amazing the last hour of world of light is actually amazing like hurry up and get to it when you do it will be worth it and 10/10 yes and all the haters doing reviews please stop giving the game a zero if it deserves a zero the game would not be playable at all buggy as frick and have literally 7 kilobytes of gameplay and does the have those things no game of the year 2019 Expand
  64. Dec 8, 2018
    The effects and sweet animations makes me realize that smash ultimate is without a doubt the most beautiful and best fighting game I've ever seen. You have tons of game modes which will make you look forward to many enjoyable gaming hours. The variety of characters and stages are years ahead of its time. And the best part of all is that the game gets even better when playing local withThe effects and sweet animations makes me realize that smash ultimate is without a doubt the most beautiful and best fighting game I've ever seen. You have tons of game modes which will make you look forward to many enjoyable gaming hours. The variety of characters and stages are years ahead of its time. And the best part of all is that the game gets even better when playing local with your friends. So get out there, get some friends, and SMASH ALL DAY! Expand
  65. Dec 7, 2018
    The game is fun, but at times the game can feel stiff and clunky, and the small starting roster made it hard to get into at the beginning, World Of Light felt linear and was disappointing.
  66. Dec 7, 2018
    Im just giving this Game a 10, although I havent played it yet, just to keep up all the "0" scores that are throughn out for no reason. If a game is rated 8 or 9 by respected reviewers it cant be a 2 or 3 and never a 0. Thats just badmouthing any game for no reason. There should be a scoring rule for users, that prevents you giving a worse score than 3 score points from the average critsIm just giving this Game a 10, although I havent played it yet, just to keep up all the "0" scores that are throughn out for no reason. If a game is rated 8 or 9 by respected reviewers it cant be a 2 or 3 and never a 0. Thats just badmouthing any game for no reason. There should be a scoring rule for users, that prevents you giving a worse score than 3 score points from the average crits score. So if the critics score is 8.5 the users can´t score it lower than 5.5. Something to think about... Expand
  67. Dec 7, 2018
    El mejor juego de switch hasta ahora muy competitivo y lo tiene todo vale cada centavo
  68. Dec 7, 2018
    This game is really fun, not joking. 10/10, best smash game to date. You'll enjoy it.
  69. Dec 7, 2018
    Amazing game, with TONS of content. Over 100 stages, over 70 playable characters. Runs great (60fps) in both docked AND handheld, which is rare for any switch game but really impressive for a game of this caliber. A must-have for any switch owner.

1 point taken away because the online mode (which I frankly don't really care about and won't be playing much) is terrible. It uses lock-step instead of having some kind of lag compensation, so if 1 person is on a slow connection, EVERYONE plays in slow motion. Also, there is no way to leave a match. If you are the first person eliminated, you are forced to sit there and watch everyone else finish the game.
  70. Dec 7, 2018
    Truly, absolutely, the ULTIMATE SMASH BROS.
    It's insane how good it turned out, love it!!
  71. Dec 7, 2018
    if you go in knowing that smash isnt like Horizon, Persona, or any game that you will sit down for hours to play, then you will see the majesty in the game, while the story mode is repetitive and the other modes are not as fun as previous installments, you can tell the team put their heart into the game, with how beautiful the graphics are, how smooth the gameplay is, how well theif you go in knowing that smash isnt like Horizon, Persona, or any game that you will sit down for hours to play, then you will see the majesty in the game, while the story mode is repetitive and the other modes are not as fun as previous installments, you can tell the team put their heart into the game, with how beautiful the graphics are, how smooth the gameplay is, how well the characters control. it is amazing and i love it. Expand
  72. Dec 7, 2018
    De los mejores juegos que he tenido entretenido retador y nostalgico me da risa la gente que comenta sin tener el juego o no tener una switch porque realmente es un gran juego
  73. Dec 7, 2018
    The best smash bros game so far, combines everything for casual and competitive game. Without a doubt this is the best work of Sakurai. best ever
  74. Dec 7, 2018
    A masterpiece. Sakurai does it again, with more than 70 character, 100 stages, tons of music tracks and spirits its like a big museum of videogames. Its not only for videogames relased in Nintendo consoles, you can find from other companies and third partys. A must have for everyone either if you want to collect everything, or to play competitive or only play with friends for fun.
  75. Dec 7, 2018
    It is a different smash, the gameplay changed but it is very well.
    I love the everyone is here, plus the 6 new DLC (one for free)
    For online i love the part they added stocks.
    I love spirits and adventure mode
    What i miss is event match (one of my favorites mode) plus i wanted Issac and Skull kid but oh well it does deserved a better rate than Brawl
  76. Dec 7, 2018
    This game is beautiful. So much fun to be had. I can't wait to play more of it. A must have for any smash fan. Only complaint is that it takes awhile to get characters but that's cause of the sheer amount of characters to find.
  77. Dec 7, 2018
    Great.Great. スマブラシリーズをSPで初めてプレイした筆者は、対戦アクション系のゲームの素人でもある。発売前、筆者はこのゲームの難易度が高いのではないかと心配していた。しかし、要らないしんぱいだった。ゲームの全ての要素は初心者にも簡単に、誰でも分かるように作られている。ファイターたちにはそれぞれの個性があり、どれも最高の完成度を見せている。歴代最高規模であると聞いたが、まさにその通り。前作をプレイした経験がなくても、びっくりするほどの規模と深さに感心される。過去作品を背景にしたステージ、最新のステージ、音楽のアレンジなど、どれも欠かせない作品の大きな部分だ。ソロプレイモードの方もやりがいのある仕組みに仕上がっている。過去への尊敬を限界まで詰め込んで完成された作品と言える。これからの作品に送るメッセージもまた深い。Switchの最高のゲームの一つの座に相応しい名作品だと言いたい。 Expand
  78. Dec 7, 2018
    An improvement upon an already fantastic series. Faster and more diverse that the previous entry, this game will provide all the entertainment you need for years to come.
  79. Dec 7, 2018
    Best game of smash bros. You can find all de characters that you want, because of all them are here. Its a game that you need to have. Excellent game!.
  80. Dec 7, 2018
    Perfect game!! The people that actually thinks that this game is a port from Wii U never played a smash game before or are just bad... Simple as that! New mechanics, new third party characters, new story mode etc......... Buy this game and you won't regret it !!
  81. Dec 7, 2018
    This game deserves a 9 but I had to give it the Nintendo Bonus. I guess I'm off to give RDR a 0, bye guys enjoy the game.
  82. Dec 7, 2018
    I rate the game a 9/10 but will cast a 10 in a feeble attempt to counter the ridiculous goose eggs that always manage to plague rating systems. 10's are just a ridiculous but when you have a genuinely good game its the 0's that impact the most. I'd like to remind users to be fair with their reviews. We all know what 0-5 games look like and lets be real... Smash Ultimate falls far from thatI rate the game a 9/10 but will cast a 10 in a feeble attempt to counter the ridiculous goose eggs that always manage to plague rating systems. 10's are just a ridiculous but when you have a genuinely good game its the 0's that impact the most. I'd like to remind users to be fair with their reviews. We all know what 0-5 games look like and lets be real... Smash Ultimate falls far from that realm.

My experience with the smash universe is limited to SSB4 and now this installment. So far it seems to be a wonderful improvement. Sound, Graphics, Artwork and overall game play and features are wonderful to interact with. Only unlocked half of the characters and looking forward to hours and hours of casual and competitive action!
  83. Dec 7, 2018
    Amazing with absolutely no mistakes, thank you Sakurai, you may rest now.
    PS the first DLC reveal was amazing and really unexpected I cant ask for more
  84. Dec 7, 2018
    They just announced Persona 5 in freaking Smash Bros Ultimate. I'm f*cking sold.
  85. Dec 7, 2018
    El mejor y más perfecto juego de smash de toda la saga, convirtiéndose en el mejor juego de lucha en la historia de los videojuegos. Si tienes la nintendo switch, simplemente tienes que comprarlo, y si no es una oportunidad más que buena para hacerte con ella. Es un juego que todo el mundo que ame esta industria debería probar una vez en la vida.
  86. Dec 7, 2018
    Más y mejor, que se podría pedir de un Smash Bros..., pues justo eso es lo que tiene éste Ultimate, aparte de refinar una formular de combates que lleva ya dos décadas entre nosotros. Un roster inigualable, que se ampliará mediante DLC, comenzando con el ya confirmado Joker de Persona 5. Un lujo de juego lo mires por donde lo mires. IMPRESCINDIBLE
  87. Dec 7, 2018
    Without a doubt, this game is clearly essential for Nintendo Switch Owners. Because of its massive crossover when it comes to the diverse roster and stages that may want you to spend the whole time unlocking. The gameplay never fails to a certain extent and Sakurai made an effort for fans to play it for the sole purpose of fun which he delivered well. The biggest flaw in Super SmashWithout a doubt, this game is clearly essential for Nintendo Switch Owners. Because of its massive crossover when it comes to the diverse roster and stages that may want you to spend the whole time unlocking. The gameplay never fails to a certain extent and Sakurai made an effort for fans to play it for the sole purpose of fun which he delivered well. The biggest flaw in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is that Waluigi isn't even a "PLAYABLE" character which is absolutely disappointing and tear dropping because that was one major request that players wanted. Therefore I give it a 9. And let's not forget to mention that there is still more content that will be released in the near future even though some of it has to be through a paywall which throws the piss. Expand
  88. Dec 7, 2018
    The Best Fighting Game Of All Time
    Super Smash Bros Ultimate is the ultimate crossover event in history with over 74 iconic Nintendo characters. This is the most dumb fun I've ever had on the release day of a game. Vast customization for every aspect of the game is what makes Ultimate above every other fighting title.
  89. Dec 7, 2018
    I have been a big fan of the Super Smash Bros. video games since the Nintendo 64 era.
    Nintendo has delivered a truly remarkable game. This game has been improved in every way that I have been able to notice during my time playing the game.
    Graphics, Music, Content, and Overall Polish; These are all the things that the game has improved over the past entries in the franchise. Verdict:
    Verdict:
    It's with great respect that I award this game a well deserved 10/10.
    I Highly Recommend this Game to anyone who owns a Nintendo Switch Console.
    I also believe that this game alone justifies the purchase of a Nintendo Switch Console.
  90. Dec 7, 2018
    Smash Ultimate is the best smash version you can get. It includes over 70 characters and way too many stages... well of course not too many. I didn't like the idea that this game gives you all the stages free and you don't have to get them yourself, why? But still if you're smash fan like me or just a beginner this game will offer you hundreds of hours fun and SMASHING!
  91. Dec 7, 2018
    One of the funnest games released this year. So much content, with so much replay-ability. I look forward to playing this game for many years to come.
  92. Dec 7, 2018
    Ever since Nintendo release the Nintendo Switch, I always want to play a Super Smash Bros game on the console & now I'm planning to get this for Christmas this year
  93. Dec 7, 2018
    This game is honestly my favorite switch game by far even though I haven't had the chance to play it yet. Still I am 110% certain that this will be the best Super Smash Bros. game to ever exist.
  94. Dec 7, 2018
    This light hearted platform fighter is packed with content that anyone of any age can enjoy. Some reviews are complaining about the roster and not getting their favorite characters but this game already has the biggest roster of iconic characters. When they called this game Ultimate, they weren't kidding. I have had fun playing this with my son, father-in-law, wife, friends. We all playedThis light hearted platform fighter is packed with content that anyone of any age can enjoy. Some reviews are complaining about the roster and not getting their favorite characters but this game already has the biggest roster of iconic characters. When they called this game Ultimate, they weren't kidding. I have had fun playing this with my son, father-in-law, wife, friends. We all played day 1 and we are hooked. It is the best Smash has been since Melee. It is similar to Smash 4 but if you haven't noticed all of the improvements, you haven't played the game. This is not Smash 4. Smash 4 wishes it was Smash Ultimate. You will get every dollar you spend out of this game. Must buy for Nintendo fans. Expand
  95. Dec 8, 2018
    I know, there's going to be an eye-rolling level of downvotes because people seem to react with their "heart" instead of their head, but...

Smash ultimate is simultaneously the best Smash ever and that isn't all that grand. Look, most Nintendo games follow a common trend. Keep it simple, flood it with as many tedious/arbitrary side things to do, require very little time to master the

Look, most Nintendo games follow a common trend. Keep it simple, flood it with as many tedious/arbitrary side things to do, require very little time to master the basics, and slather it in as much nostalgia that it never rocks the boat. And Ultimate does that, but then I ask myself--what do you do beyond this?

I mean, what else can you bring to Smash? Fluff like new stages or music? What kind of depth can you add? And that's the thing you really can't add any more, so you're left with a cold reality; this is the last Smash we will ever see. It will get a facelift in future releases some new tracks a few new faces, but that's it. We are going to get marketed the same thing over and over and over. And that is quintessential Nintendo.

But couldn't go in a different direction? Change the formula?

If this were any other developer, sure, but foundational products that never rock the boat are Nintendo's philosophy it seems. They would NEVER take that risk because to do so would alienate the users which err on the familiar air of nostalgia rather than see an evolution of the product to keep it alive.

So that's it, we've reached 'Peak Smash.' It's never going to be better than this, and you'll never see something different than it. So be happy?
  96. Dec 7, 2018
    Ultimate plays just like Melee, and has all the content from Brawl. This is easily the best Smash Bros game. Most of the changes pay off in the end, and feel like improvements. This is a must buy NOW.
  97. Dec 8, 2018
    This is THE game that COULD have been perfect, but you know Nintendo, for every almost perfect product they need to ruin something, and guess what, "For Glory" mode is not here anymore, the mode that allowed players to fight online with custom rule-set for a truly competitive match (3 stocks, no items, and only omega maps). I'm a bit disappointed, and seriously hope Nintendo will add thisThis is THE game that COULD have been perfect, but you know Nintendo, for every almost perfect product they need to ruin something, and guess what, "For Glory" mode is not here anymore, the mode that allowed players to fight online with custom rule-set for a truly competitive match (3 stocks, no items, and only omega maps). I'm a bit disappointed, and seriously hope Nintendo will add this with the future patch.. but my hopes are weak.
    Beside that the game is awesome, a lot of modes to play, a lot of character (or should I say, EVERYONE IS HERE?)
    The graphics, the smoothness of the game play, and the music, everything feels super good.
  98. Kqw
    Dec 9, 2018
    “Enjoyment appears at the boundary between boredom and anxiety, when the challenges are just balanced with the person's capacity to act.”
    ― Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
    ― Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Playing Spirits it started out being almost too easy, which made sense since me and my 10 year old son had chosen easy. Then it got a little difficult when we had to battle against the 3 stars characters, but it took no more than 5 battles before we won. After a while we could beat the 3 stars characters easily, but then we met the 4 star legend Incineroar. We tried for an hour with no success until my son started crying and i felt like smashing the controller into the wall. We have tried different tactics, different characters, different spirits, we have leveled up as much as possible, used the skill tree. Nothing works. I know that we can go in another direction or choose another gamemode, but i don’t feel the game is perfect or almost perfect as most of the reviewers have claimed if the skills required increase that much from one battle to the next. If it is too easy it’s boring, if it is too difficult it leads to anxiety and frustration. We chose easy because we wanted to relax with the game, we didn’t expect the greatest challenge of our lives. We have btw played this game before on the Nintendo Wii and my son is one of the best Fortnite players in his class, so it is not like we are total noobs.
  99. Dec 7, 2018
    This isn't just a lazy 5 year old port. Nintendo has truly gone out of their way to make a game that has taken all the things that worked with previous smash games and then added new things to keep things fresh and enjoyable.
  100. Dec 7, 2018
    It's Smash. Need I say more?

It's Smash. Need I say more?

A massive roster of more than 70 fighters (including every past fighter). More than 100 stages. More than 800 music tracks. A story mode. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate really earns its title in terms of content, and the gameplay is as fantastic as it's ever been. I have particularly enjoyed the Stage Morph feature (which allows you to play on multiple stages in a single match). I also like Classic Mode now being a unique experience for each fighter. I also like the creativity shown with the new "spirits" feature.

If I had to nitpick, I'd say that I would've preferred more new stages (only four are completely new, but the many returning stages are quite varied). Some modes from past games have been removed, but in this case, I found said omissions to not hinder the experience much, if at all.

Simply put, if you own a Switch, this is a must-buy. It may well be the best Smash yet, which is saying something for such a consistently fantastic series. I wouldn't pay much attention to those saying that this is a port of the Wii U game - Ultimate is obviously a new game and a separate experience from its direct predecessor.

1. Dec 9, 2018
    With deeper single-player content, an improved online offering and a massive roster of characters and stages, comprising all of those from the previous games and then some, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the complete package. I’m not sure how Nintendo could surpass this, and it probably doesn’t need to, as alongside Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is unrivalled on the local multiplayer stage.
  2. Dec 8, 2018
    Super Smash Bros Ultimate is a celebration of Nintendo’s long history, of the video game medium, and of the people who have poured their own spirits into crafting these characters, worlds and experiences we are all fortunate enough to have enjoyed over the years. It's a meticulously-crafted joy to play that I will surely be returning to for years to come.
  3. Dec 8, 2018
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate feels like a mic drop for the series. It packs in almost every conceivable character and stage, plus a sizable single-player mode. Spirits don't quite land, but the battles feel better than ever. It feels like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will be a Switch party staple for a long time to come.