Universal Pictures | Release Date: March 13, 2020
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 93 Ratings
Watch Now
MayfieldjaMar 18, 2020
Filled with over the top violence and splashes of comedy. It's not divisive and it's not choosing political sides. If it has any message at all, it's really "don't be an **** Lots of violence, some substance. 6 out of 10

-SM
fiftywordreviewMar 17, 2020
While trying to convey a political message, the film manages to merely piece together random buzz words from far-leaning caricatures of actual people. That being said, the original concept and fun, over-the-top violence do more than enough toWhile trying to convey a political message, the film manages to merely piece together random buzz words from far-leaning caricatures of actual people. That being said, the original concept and fun, over-the-top violence do more than enough to garner a viewing. Expand
Rcavey92212Apr 1, 2020
So initially I forgot to review this when originally seeing it. Sadly it was the last thing I got to see it due to our current situation. That being said I've seen it twice so far and still pretty much feel the same that I did the first goSo initially I forgot to review this when originally seeing it. Sadly it was the last thing I got to see it due to our current situation. That being said I've seen it twice so far and still pretty much feel the same that I did the first go around except enjoying it just a touch more. So the setup is simple, a few privileged, hypocritical liberals design a human hunt in which they target pigheaded Republicans supposedly. The movie wants to be a smarmy, clever satire but it never really commits to anything so the audience is left wavering. Performance wise Hilary Swank shines as always but the gold definitely goes to Betty Gilpin (Glow) who rules the movie. The movie is flooded with talk of somewhat exaggerated politics and leads to a questionable but I guess somewhat satisfying finale. Not for plot or rationales sake but for sheer entertainment value. Having the two women beat the crap out of eachother while spouting clever snippets makes the whole thing almost worthwhile. Well almost but it's still a bit of dark fun.

3.25/5

Budget: $18.2m
Domestic Box Office: $6m
Worldwide Box Office: $7m
SoulWarfareMar 28, 2020
The Hunt was a movie originally slated for September 2019 release but was delayed as a tragic shooting happened. It was released in March 2020 which was also unfortunate as Coronavirus happened. It was then released digitally instead which isThe Hunt was a movie originally slated for September 2019 release but was delayed as a tragic shooting happened. It was released in March 2020 which was also unfortunate as Coronavirus happened. It was then released digitally instead which is how I watched it. The Hunt is a satire, thriller movie centred around Rich liberal elites vs deplorable republicans which is probably where most of the controversy lies. Starting with the positive, Betty Gilpin who plays Crystal (the main character) is phenomenal in her role. She really gives a believable performance as a badass character and she really carries the movie. The movie also has some albeit enjoyable and entertaining kills, especially how over the top and exaggerated it is. The final fight in the movie is also really kickass and fun to watch. The cat and mouse hunting game is also engaging enough to keep you watching, so there is that. The movie has some pretty funny moments that give you some slight chuckle as well. Likewise, this movie is political but it doesn't really pick a side and makes fun of both liberals and republicans which I got to admire for their boldness.

However, making fun of everyone makes it a bit hard to see which audience will really enjoy this movie. It's satire but not everyone can take jokes as a simple joke. Also, a lot of the character are just cannon fodder and it kind of feels like a waste. It makes sense in context for the film and it did eventually give more focus to Crystal played by Betty Gilpin but it feels like wasted ideas when they should try building character instead. The movie is also incredibly dumb with some bad jokes and bad writing which kind of took me out of the movie.

In the end, this movie is only entertaining if you don't take it too seriously like me and can take a joke. If you understand the movie is satire and that you can enjoy the dark humour. I was thoroughly entertained with its 90-minute runtime and this movie is a perfect way of killing time.
PalpetineSheevMar 26, 2020
An entertaining, if a bit forced. The Hunt makes for breezy viewing experience due to Betty Gilpin's extremely watchable performance. She seriously makes the movie.
Stream2BigScreeMar 21, 2020
This review goes out to all you deplorables and nasty women out there! The Hunt is a satirical commentary on the current political climate of social interactions in a bipartisan system. Here's the premise of the film: Twelve strangers wake upThis review goes out to all you deplorables and nasty women out there! The Hunt is a satirical commentary on the current political climate of social interactions in a bipartisan system. Here's the premise of the film: Twelve strangers wake up in the wilderness confused about where they are and how they got there. Madness ensues, but let's figure out what's going on while someone tries to kill us during "The Hunt". That's the general premise of the film and the rest should be kept secret. Apparently, this movie is loosely based on a short story from 1924 by Richard Connell "The Most Dangerous Game". Now that you have the gist, let's get to meat.

The Hunt has an interesting concept, but it falls short in a movie genre that seems so ubiquitous. Blumhouse continues to saturate the market with their average-at-best horror/thrillers. This film idea is too close to the more recent Purge political films, a mix of Saw (without the games), while also providing the viewer with the "white version" of Get Out. In a way, the social commentary that this movie brings in theory is clever in its satire. The one liners in this film are clever but not laugh out loud funny. In fact, the quips, at times, are so stereotypical it's annoying. On the other hand, I know they were shooting for that aspect as well. This movie has a blatant message aimed at skewering what's wrong with both the left and right wing political followers, Conservatives and Liberals. Again, it will provide a good quick coffee table chat for co-workers but not a lasting impression.

Now, it must be said that this movie had a delayed debut due to the unfortunate mass shootings that occurred in this country last year. Unfortunately for The Hunt, it's opening comes during the latest world health pandemic. This movie just can't catch a break. Needless to say, this movie will not have a big opening, and it probably shouldn't anyway.

The best part of The Hunt is by far its brutal nature and gory killings. For those of you that enjoy that, you'll get a kick out of parts of this movie. For the rest of us, we have to rely upon the storyline and plot. Honestly, there isn't much of that. We've all seen this movie before. I wake up. Where am I? Who is doing this to me? Let me try to break free and shoot my way out. Blah. Blah. Blah. The only difference here is the leading lady, Betty Gilpin. Gilpin's character is interesting to say the least. I can't say her character is loveable or even likeable, but she's who we got. I found her character cool but also difficult to follow as well. Ok, I was annoyed with the terrible accent and lifeless persona and that's hard to say for a short movie. I won't say her portrayal was poor, but it wasn't someone a viewer wants to root for, which is something we are accustomed to doing in these types of films. Don't even get me started on the rest of the basic cast.
Long story short, this movie was made for Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime. It has enough raunchy comedy, mud slinging and violence to be a film people will talk about but not enough originality for people to have to risk exposure to COVID-19. This movie fits the politically tense climate in which we live, but also, in a way, it doesn't push the envelope enough to make it interesting enough to purchase a ticket. Handful of popcorn definitely fits this movie. Watch The Hunt when it comes to a streaming service near you.