• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 9, 2020
6.5

Watch Now

1. Oct 11, 2020
    If you're looking for something in the vain of "Hill House", "Bly Manor" will not have it. "Hill House" was almost perfect in every sense. A great intricate story, great acting, scary, haunting, emotional and heartbreaking. "Bly Manor" is stripped of all that. It's more of an uninteresting, dragged out, not very haunting dark love story, with a huge disconnect with the characters thatIf you're looking for something in the vain of "Hill House", "Bly Manor" will not have it. "Hill House" was almost perfect in every sense. A great intricate story, great acting, scary, haunting, emotional and heartbreaking. "Bly Manor" is stripped of all that. It's more of an uninteresting, dragged out, not very haunting dark love story, with a huge disconnect with the characters that simply makes you not care. While "Hill House" had me glued to the seat through all episodes, "Bly Manor" was a chore to get through. Expand
  2. Oct 17, 2020
    I prefered the first season. It's basically not scary at all and the character drama just isn't very interesting. And it's way too long for what it has to say. Could have been a 2 hour movie.
  3. Oct 12, 2020
    There's a few words that can sum up the entirety of The Haunting of Bly Manor but the first few that come to mind are slow, boring, incoherent, and disappointing. The show moves at a snail's pace and it's a prime example of writers not understanding how to pull of a slow burn without grinding the plot to a halt. On top of that snail's pace you will also see that entire plot and everyThere's a few words that can sum up the entirety of The Haunting of Bly Manor but the first few that come to mind are slow, boring, incoherent, and disappointing. The show moves at a snail's pace and it's a prime example of writers not understanding how to pull of a slow burn without grinding the plot to a halt. On top of that snail's pace you will also see that entire plot and every subplot is a total mess, it's as if every episode was written piecemeal by separate writers who never actually spoke to one another. The majority of the season episodes are nothing more than filler to pad it out to the nine episode mark and the few that aren't suffer from every issue that's already been mentioned.

If this was the first season of The Haunting of (insert spooky house name) the show would've likely been a total flop and also would've likely been a one and done affair. This season really gives the impression that Mike Flanagan just wanted to make a drama so he snuck this in under the guise of being part of The Haunting series. This impression doesn't exactly bode well for what is to come in future seasons either, and that is if there are more after this. If you're going into this expecting something that even slightly resembles Hill House then you're going to be extremely disappointed. Seriously, don't waste your time on this show.
  4. Oct 11, 2020
    I don't know on what I've spent some hours on. This series has no genre, it's not a thriller, it's not an horror neither a psychological horror; there is too much talking and nothing else. Character's individualistic storytelling reminds me the awful The Walking Dead segments with too much talking and excess focus on unlikable characters. Skip this is the best option.
  5. Oct 11, 2020
    This show is the polar opposite of Hill house. Where Hill House was spooky, fun, and immensely memorable, Bly Manor is banal, boring, and shockingly forgettable. If this was the first season in the series, NO ONE would be talking about it. It would have quietly arrived on Netflix with no fanfare. No one would have noticed.

This show would have been better if it was only 3 episodes

This show would have been better if it was only 3 episodes long. Instead it is 9 episodes. Jam packed with tedious filler to pad the run time. By the third episode, it became clear that the writers were more concerned about social commentary than they were with telling a halfway decent story. The story shifts from it inconsequential ghost story to an inconsequential love story. The story never finds it's legs. It never gets better.

I was very excited about this show. Absolutely loved the first one. But this may be the worst thing I've seen on TV in decades. Avoid it.
  6. Oct 13, 2020
    One of the worst series that I have seen on Netflix. You could tell they had to stretch an hour-long story over nine hours. Hill House was one of the best Netflix shows made in comparison. The accents and writing don't help but what on earth went wrong?
  7. Oct 10, 2020
    This is actually the worst show I have seen in ages. Please do not watch it, I have wasted time of my life I will never get back. This is not only desperate in referencing the original season but it is also attempting to elaborate on every single possible **** detail that it can - it tells and refuses to show. You can literally be brain dead and watch this and still understand the linearThis is actually the worst show I have seen in ages. Please do not watch it, I have wasted time of my life I will never get back. This is not only desperate in referencing the original season but it is also attempting to elaborate on every single possible **** detail that it can - it tells and refuses to show. You can literally be brain dead and watch this and still understand the linear message it is trying to send because there is very little room for either interpretation or anything else. Although one episode sticks out as being unique, the one about Mrs Grose, the rest of the show continues to reply on it as a crutch and falls. Also, please keep in mind that much of the show has like a billion plot points that are brought up and forgotten all for the sake of ending the episode or making something seem more interesting than it ever can be. The show sucks, a hundred different writers and directors worked on it and communicated with each other from what I assume was a potato. Literally, none of their plots join, it does not work, and the editing is its only saving grace with that falling short as the show nears its conclusion Expand
  8. Oct 11, 2020
    That's a great example of how "modern standards" can ruin a show. Better to watch the first one.
  9. Oct 13, 2020
    This was pretty bad and nothing like the first season. It’s slow, meandering, un-creative with hollow characters. There’s an insidious trend of writing generally started by Damien Lindeloff with Lost, then Leftovers where writers spend most of their time on character studies, totally ignoring or writing bad plot. The issue is, if you don’t take the plot seriously, you’re missing the mostThis was pretty bad and nothing like the first season. It’s slow, meandering, un-creative with hollow characters. There’s an insidious trend of writing generally started by Damien Lindeloff with Lost, then Leftovers where writers spend most of their time on character studies, totally ignoring or writing bad plot. The issue is, if you don’t take the plot seriously, you’re missing the most important part of character: the context in which they’re embedded. Call these writers the high modernists of writing: they believe good stories don’t need context to be good. Or maybe call them narcissists: they believe people can be separated from the context they’re embedded in. Whether we’re talking about television, or urban planning, or statecraft or anything in between: we should all be adult enough to say that yes, context is important. People don’t exist, only relationships do.

In essence: this show continues a terrible trend in writing that it didn’t even invent. It took every good thing from the first season and broke it. Either the writers were out of ideas, or they weren’t very brave.
  10. Oct 9, 2020
    Gorgeous. A beautiful, slow burn, gothic romance. The scares are atmospheric rather than “jump scares” which worked brilliantly.
  11. Oct 13, 2020
    The Haunting of Bly Manor is everything art is supposed to be. It invokes the deepest of emotional responses, puts one to tears, and leaves an impression for days to come. I watched the entire season twice over a single weekend as the series always welcomes multiple viewings due to its plot revelations and hidden ghosts throughout. Mike hits it out of the park once again. Every characterThe Haunting of Bly Manor is everything art is supposed to be. It invokes the deepest of emotional responses, puts one to tears, and leaves an impression for days to come. I watched the entire season twice over a single weekend as the series always welcomes multiple viewings due to its plot revelations and hidden ghosts throughout. Mike hits it out of the park once again. Every character has its own depth and are portrayed with peak performances. The relationships are raw, real, and relatable. You root for these romances to blossom and cheer for the cast to prosper through their adventure. Bly Manor warms the soul while retelling one of the greatest horror stories known and puts all other adaptations to shame. Expand
  12. Oct 10, 2020
    Not a horror story, but a love story. Not the same as season 1, but beautiful in its own way all the same.
  13. Oct 11, 2020
    Unfortunately, I think this series fails for the most part at delivering a compelling horror experience. Its scares are pretty predictable and are often based on tropes, many of which can be found in Flanagan's previous work. I think it's atmosphere is also pretty bland: there were few times where I genuinely felt any significant tension, and of the few times it did do that, it ruined manyUnfortunately, I think this series fails for the most part at delivering a compelling horror experience. Its scares are pretty predictable and are often based on tropes, many of which can be found in Flanagan's previous work. I think it's atmosphere is also pretty bland: there were few times where I genuinely felt any significant tension, and of the few times it did do that, it ruined many of them by cutting to extended flashbacks or context-building scenes that broke the tension. I like tension, I like oppressive atmospheres, and I like novel means of delivering those things. So, naturally, I didn't like that part of the series very much. What I did enjoy though were many of the character interactions and relationships that developed under the duress of "the haunting" and its consequences. I love stories where overcoming trauma, for example, is still primarily a factor of people supporting each other rather than individuals heroically confronting their trauma through a haunting (or whatever) in a kind of corny sublimation of their actual problems. As I think this story itself indicates at some points, I think it's actually a series better described as a love story than as a haunting or whatever. It's also a very beautiful set. The series often dwells on its setting, which it should, because the vista of Bly Manor is gorgeous and seemingly infinite in scope. It was only very late in the series that I felt like I had a grasp on the dimension of the Manor. The cinematography also has its moments, specifically when it's dwelling on the vastness of the house (e.g. long hallways, large rooms, etc.) and using panoramics and wide shots to cover the grounds. Overall, don't watch if you actually want horror. Do watch if you want to watch mild, bland horror transform into more of a character-driven drama. Expand
  14. Oct 9, 2020
    Are the critics drunk?! That’s an incredible second season! Everything is good from the acting, the story, the music and the incredible cinematography. A must see for the halloween/gothic lover!
  15. Oct 10, 2020
    What a great series, a lesson on how a gothic horror movie should be, told with sensibility and depth rarely seen nowadays!! It doesn't matter if it has less scares, it's beautifully written and filmed!
  16. Oct 9, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mas de qualquer forma deixo minha singela Review da série: A Maldição da Mansão Bly foca no trágico, nas dores, nas desilusões, nas perdas, nas mágoas e no arrependimento. Deixa de lado muito do terror convencional de sustos a toda hora (apesar de que tem sim SUSTOS) e no gore excessivo. Na minha opinião o medo dessa temporada está nos sentimentos que deixam marcas, e muitas vezes essas marcas são fantasmagóricas, e muitos preferem viver nelas, ou escapar delas.... Os demônios internos de cada personagem, como no caso de Peter, mostra que as situações do passado acaba por moldar as pessoas de varais maneiras, sejam elas boas ou ruins, a personagem de Hanna que foi largada pelo marido, mostra que como podemos viver na culpa, no arrependimento e também na ilusão criada no relacionamento, e sem falar no relacionamento tóxico que ficou presente na história de Rebecca.... Expand
  17. Oct 11, 2020
    Definitely a slow burn, just like season one. I loved the character development, drama, and story just like i enjoyed it in Hill House. I wish it was advertised more as a love story, because I think that’s what is really throwing people off. They’re expecting full on horror. I enjoyed Bly Manor regardless.
  18. Oct 11, 2020
    So beautiful story. So good music, Actor... Everything is good. This series (this is the second season or a separate work) is a must for everyone to watch.
  19. qLu
    Oct 9, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Critics are being all hipster about this, like their taste is so refined that good things are bad to them. This is amazing. I can't recommend more. Do yourself a favor and just watch it. Expand
  20. Oct 13, 2020
    It has a less scares than the previous series, but lacks in nothing else and is very well done. Every episode was spinning in my mind after watching and I truly recommend it to every ghost/horror fan.
  21. Oct 13, 2020
    Probably the best ghost story series I've ever seen. The characters, the acting, the writing, and the plot are all top notch, and it will appeal to anyone who cares more about the people in a ghost story rather than fast action and jump scares.

If, on the other hand, you want your ghost stories to have constant action and special effects and don't want a show that's a slow burn, or you're a bigot who's offended by lesbian characters or an interracial couple, then you can safely skip this one.
  22. Jul 6, 2021
    This second entry in Mike Flanagan's The Haunting anthology series is a significant step back from what we got with Hill House. Stylistically it's a bit too British for its own good. The wide array of grating accents, the irritatingly proper way everybody speaks, and the ever present narrator designed to give the tale a more storybook feel do Bly Manor no favors. Essentially making theThis second entry in Mike Flanagan's The Haunting anthology series is a significant step back from what we got with Hill House. Stylistically it's a bit too British for its own good. The wide array of grating accents, the irritatingly proper way everybody speaks, and the ever present narrator designed to give the tale a more storybook feel do Bly Manor no favors. Essentially making the whole thing come off as Hill House, but annoying.

If this really is supposed to be a love story, it's a rather poor one given the lengths it goes through to ensure everyone ends up alone by the end. It does feature some great lessons about love however. The way it critiques possession over genuine affection and things like toxic masculinity among others works because it's not preachy or insulting in its delivery. It never points the finger, just reveals that these things do unfortunately exist and can cause real harm.

The pacing can be downright atrocious. The early episodes are almost painfully uninteresting outside of the promise of the mystery at hand as not much happens in them, and things darn near crawl to a halt in the final two after the show runners boneheadedly decided not to capitalize on a particularly intense cliffhanger by continuing the action from where it left off right away. Instead choosing to dive right into the ghost's backstory which proves to be story's dullest chapter and robs the menace of a lot of its fear factor.

As a matter of fact, this is really disappointing as a work of horror altogether. The attempts to frighten viewer amount to little more than a repeated jump scare where the main character sees someone standing behind her in reflective surfaces, a trick that ends up being as overly used as the words "perfectly splendid," and the appearance of the occasional specter lurking at the back of the screen. The latter of which was also featured in Bly Manor's infinitely superior predecessor and suffers from diminishing returns here.

For all of its faults though there are moments of shear brilliance. The way it gives its ghosts a motive for tormenting the living by locking them in a hellish cycle where they themselves are haunted by moments from their past is probably the most memorable and standout aspect of the whole thing, while also serving as a nice twist on one of Hill House's more interesting wrinkles as well. Plus, the entire middle portion is pretty fantastic as that is where the emotions are at their highest, the tension is at its max, and the reveals are flowing. I even liked how not every entity the character's encounter actually exists at all. Some are just figments of their imagination spawned from past regrets.

Unfortunately, questionable decision making from Flanagan and crew make this mini-series feel messy, uneven, and poorly thought-out. Like how there's a major villain swap right at the conclusion that makes both foes feel inconsequential in a way or how none of the supporting character's subplots go anywhere so you're left wondering why they were included in the first place. As engrossing as it can be at times, these cracks in Bly's foundation keep it from ever being a truly satisfying watch. Especially considering it's following an act that was practically flawless.
  23. Oct 15, 2020
    This series is written, edited, directed, performed way better than the american horror story. AHS is a total waste of time compared to The haunting of Bly.
  24. Oct 21, 2020
    A temporada é incrível!
    Tem profundidade, roteiro ótimo, atuações incríveis e terror ótimo!
  25. Nov 18, 2020
    I really, really enjoyed this show. I have seen a fair few of Mike Flanagan's stuff at this point, and I feel like I should be bored with his style by now. Pleasantly though, I am not.

Doing a follow up to Hill House was always going to be a tricky task and, whilst this is not as scary as its predecessor, I am quite happy that, in my estimation, this lives up to it. The acting (bar Carla Gugino's dodgy English accent(s!)) is top tier and I really found myself invested in each of the characters. I particularly enjoyed Victoria Pedretti's acting and the 2 children are also a real highlight.

I've seen the criticism that this series is too slow but I quite like my slow-burn TV so seeing the story methodologically develop was a boon for me. Additionally, I would argue, having such a build-up really makes the final episode hit real hard in the feels. Such strong character development requires a steady pace imo.

Overall, I would definitely recommend watching even though its horror is not too prevalent, the story more than makes up for this.
  26. Oct 20, 2020
    It's not as scary as Hill House, but still has good storytelling and heart.
  27. Oct 21, 2020
    One good episode of 9 is about 1 point ... Okay, I'll give 2. If you want to watch the series, and not play the radio, then watch something else. Ten-minute monologues accompanied by sad music have become a tradition in almost every episode. This is terrible! And seriously, none of the critics noticed this? Seriously? ...
  28. Oct 26, 2020
    This was a very different take on ghosts stories once again and it was executed very well. While sometimes it lagged in the story progression, it kept me very invested in the story and characters. The ghosts are not the same type of specters we have seen recycled again and again. Another reason this show stood out to me. Overall a very moving story and definitely worth watching.
  29. Nov 4, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thoroughly enjoyed The Haunting of Hill House so when The Haunting of Bly Manor appeared on Netflix I was ecstatic. The location, the lighting, the settings, the story, the cinematography; were beautifully done just as in Hill House. Both series do a wonderful job of building tension and also being quite confusing throughout the first few episodes. However, Bly Manor is more of a story built upon human emotion than ghosts. It represents the desire to love and be loved, to not be forgotten by those we care about, and the heartbreak of realizing you are slowly losing yourself over the one you love. The longing Jaime has to see the Danny again, going as far as filling the sink and bathtub, and leaving the door cracked in hopes she may one day come is soul shattering. That is the purpose of having the viewers see that scene. Like Jaime, we hold out hope that Danny will return, and when she doesn't we feel that same despair that she feels. Love is the most powerful emotion in the world, but as this series reminds us; even love isn't strong enough to defeat death. Expand
  30. Jan 9, 2021
    Not a bad series but lacks the scares of Hill House. A shame.
    Also some of the accents being attempted are pretty ordinary

Generally favorable reviews - based on 18 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Nov 30, 2020
    The nice thing is it pretty much works. Oh, there’s a great deal of silliness and some false notes — it is a ghost story, after all and some explanations add up while others just drift away. But in the end “Bly Manor” dares to make at least some sense (which is likely blasphemy to Henry James fanatics).
  2. Reviewed by: Aja Romano
    Oct 12, 2020
    Some pointed and strategic tonal shifts throughout the series’ nine episodes also help keep the pace from flagging, though I’d argue that nine episodes was a few too many. Conversely, given proper attention, the series’ climax could have been significantly expanded and dramatized.
  3. Reviewed by: Judy Berman
    Oct 9, 2020
    While Hill House excelled in its early, grounded episodes before devolving into chaos at the end, Bly Manor only gets going in a second half that, despite some distractingly soapy twists, thrives on productive confusion. And it offers a more satisfying conclusion than the first season.