• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 9, 2020
6.5

Watch Now

1. Oct 9, 2020
    Gorgeous. A beautiful, slow burn, gothic romance. The scares are atmospheric rather than “jump scares” which worked brilliantly.
  2. Oct 13, 2020
    The Haunting of Bly Manor is everything art is supposed to be. It invokes the deepest of emotional responses, puts one to tears, and leaves an impression for days to come. I watched the entire season twice over a single weekend as the series always welcomes multiple viewings due to its plot revelations and hidden ghosts throughout. Mike hits it out of the park once again. Every characterThe Haunting of Bly Manor is everything art is supposed to be. It invokes the deepest of emotional responses, puts one to tears, and leaves an impression for days to come. I watched the entire season twice over a single weekend as the series always welcomes multiple viewings due to its plot revelations and hidden ghosts throughout. Mike hits it out of the park once again. Every character has its own depth and are portrayed with peak performances. The relationships are raw, real, and relatable. You root for these romances to blossom and cheer for the cast to prosper through their adventure. Bly Manor warms the soul while retelling one of the greatest horror stories known and puts all other adaptations to shame. Expand
  3. Oct 10, 2020
    Not a horror story, but a love story. Not the same as season 1, but beautiful in its own way all the same.
  4. Oct 11, 2020
    Unfortunately, I think this series fails for the most part at delivering a compelling horror experience. Its scares are pretty predictable and are often based on tropes, many of which can be found in Flanagan's previous work. I think it's atmosphere is also pretty bland: there were few times where I genuinely felt any significant tension, and of the few times it did do that, it ruined manyUnfortunately, I think this series fails for the most part at delivering a compelling horror experience. Its scares are pretty predictable and are often based on tropes, many of which can be found in Flanagan's previous work. I think it's atmosphere is also pretty bland: there were few times where I genuinely felt any significant tension, and of the few times it did do that, it ruined many of them by cutting to extended flashbacks or context-building scenes that broke the tension. I like tension, I like oppressive atmospheres, and I like novel means of delivering those things. So, naturally, I didn't like that part of the series very much. What I did enjoy though were many of the character interactions and relationships that developed under the duress of "the haunting" and its consequences. I love stories where overcoming trauma, for example, is still primarily a factor of people supporting each other rather than individuals heroically confronting their trauma through a haunting (or whatever) in a kind of corny sublimation of their actual problems. As I think this story itself indicates at some points, I think it's actually a series better described as a love story than as a haunting or whatever. It's also a very beautiful set. The series often dwells on its setting, which it should, because the vista of Bly Manor is gorgeous and seemingly infinite in scope. It was only very late in the series that I felt like I had a grasp on the dimension of the Manor. The cinematography also has its moments, specifically when it's dwelling on the vastness of the house (e.g. long hallways, large rooms, etc.) and using panoramics and wide shots to cover the grounds. Overall, don't watch if you actually want horror. Do watch if you want to watch mild, bland horror transform into more of a character-driven drama. Expand
  5. Oct 9, 2020
    Are the critics drunk?! That’s an incredible second season! Everything is good from the acting, the story, the music and the incredible cinematography. A must see for the halloween/gothic lover!
  6. Oct 10, 2020
    What a great series, a lesson on how a gothic horror movie should be, told with sensibility and depth rarely seen nowadays!! It doesn't matter if it has less scares, it's beautifully written and filmed!
  7. Oct 9, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mas de qualquer forma deixo minha singela Review da série: A Maldição da Mansão Bly foca no trágico, nas dores, nas desilusões, nas perdas, nas mágoas e no arrependimento. Deixa de lado muito do terror convencional de sustos a toda hora (apesar de que tem sim SUSTOS) e no gore excessivo. Na minha opinião o medo dessa temporada está nos sentimentos que deixam marcas, e muitas vezes essas marcas são fantasmagóricas, e muitos preferem viver nelas, ou escapar delas.... Os demônios internos de cada personagem, como no caso de Peter, mostra que as situações do passado acaba por moldar as pessoas de varais maneiras, sejam elas boas ou ruins, a personagem de Hanna que foi largada pelo marido, mostra que como podemos viver na culpa, no arrependimento e também na ilusão criada no relacionamento, e sem falar no relacionamento tóxico que ficou presente na história de Rebecca.... Expand
  8. Oct 11, 2020
    Definitely a slow burn, just like season one. I loved the character development, drama, and story just like i enjoyed it in Hill House. I wish it was advertised more as a love story, because I think that’s what is really throwing people off. They’re expecting full on horror. I enjoyed Bly Manor regardless.
  9. Oct 11, 2020
    So beautiful story. So good music, Actor... Everything is good. This series (this is the second season or a separate work) is a must for everyone to watch.
  10. qLu
    Oct 9, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Critics are being all hipster about this, like their taste is so refined that good things are bad to them. This is amazing. I can't recommend more. Do yourself a favor and just watch it. Expand
  11. Oct 13, 2020
    It has a less scares than the previous series, but lacks in nothing else and is very well done. Every episode was spinning in my mind after watching and I truly recommend it to every ghost/horror fan.
  12. Oct 13, 2020
    Probably the best ghost story series I've ever seen. The characters, the acting, the writing, and the plot are all top notch, and it will appeal to anyone who cares more about the people in a ghost story rather than fast action and jump scares.

If, on the other hand, you want your ghost stories to have constant action and special effects and don't want a show that's a slow burn, or you're a bigot who's offended by lesbian characters or an interracial couple, then you can safely skip this one.
  13. Oct 15, 2020
    This series is written, edited, directed, performed way better than the american horror story. AHS is a total waste of time compared to The haunting of Bly.
  14. Oct 21, 2020
    A temporada é incrível!
    Tem profundidade, roteiro ótimo, atuações incríveis e terror ótimo!
  15. Nov 18, 2020
    I really, really enjoyed this show. I have seen a fair few of Mike Flanagan's stuff at this point, and I feel like I should be bored with his style by now. Pleasantly though, I am not.

Doing a follow up to Hill House was always going to be a tricky task and, whilst this is not as scary as its predecessor, I am quite happy that, in my estimation, this lives up to it. The acting (bar Carla Gugino's dodgy English accent(s!)) is top tier and I really found myself invested in each of the characters. I particularly enjoyed Victoria Pedretti's acting and the 2 children are also a real highlight.

I've seen the criticism that this series is too slow but I quite like my slow-burn TV so seeing the story methodologically develop was a boon for me. Additionally, I would argue, having such a build-up really makes the final episode hit real hard in the feels. Such strong character development requires a steady pace imo.

Overall, I would definitely recommend watching even though its horror is not too prevalent, the story more than makes up for this.
  16. Oct 20, 2020
    It's not as scary as Hill House, but still has good storytelling and heart.
  17. Oct 26, 2020
    This was a very different take on ghosts stories once again and it was executed very well. While sometimes it lagged in the story progression, it kept me very invested in the story and characters. The ghosts are not the same type of specters we have seen recycled again and again. Another reason this show stood out to me. Overall a very moving story and definitely worth watching.
  18. Nov 4, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thoroughly enjoyed The Haunting of Hill House so when The Haunting of Bly Manor appeared on Netflix I was ecstatic. The location, the lighting, the settings, the story, the cinematography; were beautifully done just as in Hill House. Both series do a wonderful job of building tension and also being quite confusing throughout the first few episodes. However, Bly Manor is more of a story built upon human emotion than ghosts. It represents the desire to love and be loved, to not be forgotten by those we care about, and the heartbreak of realizing you are slowly losing yourself over the one you love. The longing Jaime has to see the Danny again, going as far as filling the sink and bathtub, and leaving the door cracked in hopes she may one day come is soul shattering. That is the purpose of having the viewers see that scene. Like Jaime, we hold out hope that Danny will return, and when she doesn't we feel that same despair that she feels. Love is the most powerful emotion in the world, but as this series reminds us; even love isn't strong enough to defeat death. Expand
  19. Jan 9, 2021
    Not a bad series but lacks the scares of Hill House. A shame.
    Also some of the accents being attempted are pretty ordinary

Generally favorable reviews - based on 18 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Nov 30, 2020
    The nice thing is it pretty much works. Oh, there’s a great deal of silliness and some false notes — it is a ghost story, after all and some explanations add up while others just drift away. But in the end “Bly Manor” dares to make at least some sense (which is likely blasphemy to Henry James fanatics).
  2. Reviewed by: Aja Romano
    Oct 12, 2020
    Some pointed and strategic tonal shifts throughout the series’ nine episodes also help keep the pace from flagging, though I’d argue that nine episodes was a few too many. Conversely, given proper attention, the series’ climax could have been significantly expanded and dramatized.
  3. Reviewed by: Judy Berman
    Oct 9, 2020
    While Hill House excelled in its early, grounded episodes before devolving into chaos at the end, Bly Manor only gets going in a second half that, despite some distractingly soapy twists, thrives on productive confusion. And it offers a more satisfying conclusion than the first season.