7.3

1. Nov 19, 2021
    There are changes, some are good, some not so good, in my opinion it's solid fantasy tv series with great potential to be one of the best.
  2. Nov 19, 2021
    This show would be fairly good if it was made by itself, but as a series made based on a Wheel of time books it is total mess. Simply said this IS not Wheel of time. So much was changed from source material, even some basic ideas, characters and ground rules of Wheel of time universe, that it simply can not follow basic story of books. In the books even some minor details in world orThis show would be fairly good if it was made by itself, but as a series made based on a Wheel of time books it is total mess. Simply said this IS not Wheel of time. So much was changed from source material, even some basic ideas, characters and ground rules of Wheel of time universe, that it simply can not follow basic story of books. In the books even some minor details in world or characters have great impact later on. Even how characters, beasts or monsters look, talk or interact , minor things about their families or birth places figure heavily later on in story. Starting with breaking of a rule that only male can be Dragon reborn that undermines so much of basic source material mechanics and lore to totally destroy basic plot lines. Like the difference between male and female source of magic and reason for man going mad from using theirs. Trolocs are somewhat "wrong" too. Actors are actually good and filming is also ok, even more from time to time. For someone who didn't read Wheel of time, doesn't remember or mind its story and lore ( and they are overwhelming and complicated) to much its great . But as an adaptation of a legendary book series it's totally off. To much was changed from the start to allow for the story to follow story of the books in any meaningful way and stay logical or possible. Expand
  3. Nov 19, 2021
    I love this series. If you love big high fantasy stories, this one is for you. As a fan of the books, I loved seeing so many scenes from the book onscreen and the characters and main story are there. Yes there are changes, but there had to be for modernization and visual media. Some fans hate on that, but really in the grand scheme they aren't big. I think the acting is pretty good withI love this series. If you love big high fantasy stories, this one is for you. As a fan of the books, I loved seeing so many scenes from the book onscreen and the characters and main story are there. Yes there are changes, but there had to be for modernization and visual media. Some fans hate on that, but really in the grand scheme they aren't big. I think the acting is pretty good with some standouts. I also do not get the complaints in VFX and other things… I have seen worse in many a Marvel movie. Anyways I am loving it! Expand
  4. Nov 19, 2021
    As someone who grew up on Robert Jordan's book series, this poorly-written adaptation is not only wholly unworthy, it thinks that it can improve on some of the most well-thought-out lore in all of fantasy fiction. That it lacks faithfulness to the source material is not its only sin, however. The poor acting, poor action, shallow characterizations, eye-rolling misandrism, genericAs someone who grew up on Robert Jordan's book series, this poorly-written adaptation is not only wholly unworthy, it thinks that it can improve on some of the most well-thought-out lore in all of fantasy fiction. That it lacks faithfulness to the source material is not its only sin, however. The poor acting, poor action, shallow characterizations, eye-rolling misandrism, generic soundtrack, and a generally cheap look and feel really sink this ship. Amazon has more money than many small countries. They should have been able to do far better than this. I refuse to watch anymore of this crap. I can't get the mental image of Robert Jordan rolling in his grave out of my head. They should have brought Brandon Sanderson in as a script doctor. Fools!!! Expand
  5. Nov 20, 2021
    The nicest thing I can say about it is that it makes me want to re-read the books again to wash the bad taste out of my mouth. Just totally bland and un-imaginative. I'm gagging to think what Amazon's take on Tolkien is gonna be like (get ready for lots of Hollywood-diverse elves)
  6. Nov 19, 2021
    First episode was a bit janky in terms of some of the effects and scenes. Also felt a bit rushed I feel like it would have been justified to have spent a full episode in Two Rivers before really diving in. That said I still enjoyed it and starting in episode 2 the Wheel of Time finds its footing. On book 9 currently and very happy with this amazon adaptation so far.
  7. Nov 19, 2021
    What a complete failure. Just poor decisions all over and the special effects look like they were done by interns. One of the most important parts of a fantasy adaptation is capturing the audience in an immersive way. This will be cancelled in no time.
  8. Nov 19, 2021
    Horrifically bad and cheap-looking, do not watch. Pathetic attempt at stealing valor from the books.
  9. Nov 19, 2021
    Was a big fan of the books in high school, this is a complete travesty, won't be watching any further
  10. Nov 19, 2021
    Literally the only character who looks the way they should is Moiraine. Effects look cheap. Story doesn't work as a show. Get some new ideas hollywood!
  11. Nov 19, 2021
    The Human Resources team is now in control of casting and scripting, with no respect to logic, source material or acting skills. Most shows are now just politics for the consumption of adults with the brain of a 5 years old, with stories artificially restrained by the suffocating cage of non-offensive material. Add to the mix a bad director, and the result is Wheel of Time.
  12. Nov 19, 2021
    One of the worst adaptations I've had the displeasure of watching.

One of the worst adaptations I've had the displeasure of watching.

The show has dumbed down its source material to the point that one almost wonders whether it's intended as a deliberate insult to the audience. Mustache-twirling villains are shown giving dastardly monologues, characters have been stripped of all sensibility, and the plot trudges forward without the slightest concern for reason and logic.

Worse still, Amazon's Wheel of Time somehow manages to feel both overly hurried and overly slow at the same time, sacrificing character development and plot in favor of grand speeches that invariably turn out to be as dull as they are insipid.

The tone, too, has taken a turn for the worse. Where Robert Jordan maintained a careful balance between danger and adventure in The Eye of the World, the show takes pains to excise every last bit of levity from the source material, leaving behind only bland self-importance and hokey dialogue.

The only bright spots in this mess of a show are the actors, whose efforts to salvage the stilted lines they are given are admirable if ultimately fruitless.

Perhaps the best thing that can be said about Amazon's Wheel of Time is that it is marginally better than the Shannara Chronicles adaptation, but even then, the gap is a frustratingly small one.
  13. Nov 19, 2021
    This isn’t going to fill the fantasy void that GoT left us with when it went off the air. This show is geared towards a much younger audience. There is very little to like about the show. The hair and wardrobe is really bad. The way some of the fantasy elements are portrayed is downright cringe. There isn’t a lot of upside here. Would not recommend.
  14. Nov 19, 2021
    Saw the first two episodes of the show. Not going to waste time on the rest. Here are my two cents. They changed the lore without any reason, just so that women can be dragons as well. It essentially changes the main conflict of the books. Lore be damned. This show is primarily made for women. This can't be made more obvious with the average and plain-looking female cast (sure, RosamundSaw the first two episodes of the show. Not going to waste time on the rest. Here are my two cents. They changed the lore without any reason, just so that women can be dragons as well. It essentially changes the main conflict of the books. Lore be damned. This show is primarily made for women. This can't be made more obvious with the average and plain-looking female cast (sure, Rosamund Pike used to be pretty hot, but she is old enough to be a mother to many watching the show) contrasted with handsome and hunky (but simpish) men. The battle at the end of episode 1 is a good example of a novice level of social engineering, where the weak men essentially run away from the fight, and brave women are left to fight the monsters. There are scenes where young capable men are running away leaving women to fend for themselves, which they do with great success of course. There is even a scene of feminist power fantasy akin to Avengers: End Game towards the end of this episode. It is there just to hammer the nail in case you are too dumb and/or oblivious to the message. If you still don't get it, you have already been conditioned. In that case, please enjoy the show, and don't forget to sip your soy latte. Expand
  15. Nov 19, 2021
    This show is The Wheel of Time in name only. Character names are the same, but virtually everything has been changed and not strictly for the purposes of abridging the story for television. Many of the changes were ideologically motivated because the showrunner found that the source material fundamentally disagreed with his personal worldviews. The acting was atrocious. Stradowski'sThis show is The Wheel of Time in name only. Character names are the same, but virtually everything has been changed and not strictly for the purposes of abridging the story for television. Many of the changes were ideologically motivated because the showrunner found that the source material fundamentally disagreed with his personal worldviews. The acting was atrocious. Stradowski's performance specifically was reminiscent of Hayden Christiansen in Attack of the Clones, The screenplay was bad, the dialogue was bad, the costuming was bad, the casting was bad, the scene direction was bad, the fight choreography was bad... It was very evident that Rafe Judkins had no experience with film production. Why on earth Amazon would give the keys to an inexperienced showrunner with the hubris to think he could "fix" Robert Jordan's masterpiece is beyond all reason and logic. Expand
  16. Nov 19, 2021
    I can’t believe people on here are giving this show 10s!! WOT was one of my favorite fantasy series growing up, I have read and reread most of the books probably 5 times. As much as I wanted to love it, or at least like it, this adaptation was crap. Special effects belong on an episode of Power Rangers. Seriously, those Trollocs are awful. Really? That was the best you could do? Buffy TheI can’t believe people on here are giving this show 10s!! WOT was one of my favorite fantasy series growing up, I have read and reread most of the books probably 5 times. As much as I wanted to love it, or at least like it, this adaptation was crap. Special effects belong on an episode of Power Rangers. Seriously, those Trollocs are awful. Really? That was the best you could do? Buffy The Vampire Slayer had better looking monsters. The sword fighting? W. T. H. I couldn’t wait to see a heron blade master in action…until I did. Again, reminiscent of power rangers. Don’t even get me started on the Aes Sedai. Ageless and graceful, my butt. The acting? Wouldn’t cut it on a CW show. You want to watch a great adaptation of a great series? Go watch The Witcher, or the first 6 seasons of GOT. Expand
  17. Nov 23, 2021
    Not a good adaptation of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and a less than good show overall. Pacing is not good, cinematography is inconsistent and the cgi is already dated. It is incredible that this cost Amazon $10 million per episode.
  18. Nov 24, 2021
    Weirdly stilted show that feels extremely low budget even though I'm sure it wasn't. I haven't read the books so I can't compare it to that but from what I've heard it's a big whiff on that side as well.
    They're marketing this as the next Game of Thrones, I wouldn't rate it as high as BBC's Merlin if with sticking with the genre.
  19. Nov 28, 2021
    I will be honest I couldn't finish even 5 minutes it felt cheap and badly written I don't know the why it just felt staring at wet paint drying was far more interesting than this show
  20. Nov 26, 2021
    even if you ignore that the books exist this "adaptation" is just boring. characters are boring, actors are boring, pacing is boring, even the battles are boring, with aes sedai doing their best wacky waving inflatable tubeman impressions throwing cheap cw level cgi smoke around. and if you read the books the battles were ridiculously well done so having boring battle scenes is no smalleven if you ignore that the books exist this "adaptation" is just boring. characters are boring, actors are boring, pacing is boring, even the battles are boring, with aes sedai doing their best wacky waving inflatable tubeman impressions throwing cheap cw level cgi smoke around. and if you read the books the battles were ridiculously well done so having boring battle scenes is no small feat lol. if they were going to ignore the source material in such a poorly done way i have no clue why they paid for the wheel of time rights in the first place. i came in with low expectations and am still disappointed. Expand
  21. Nov 19, 2021
    Wonderful although a few uncertain moments. As a book reader I accept that a straight to TV adaption would be really boring the changes that are here help the back story and set up the character story arcs for this epic adventure.
  22. Nov 22, 2021
    It doesn't feel like it takes anything but names from the books. Even separated from the source material, it's just plain boring. I kept tuning out in the second episode because it was hard to feel invested in anything they were doing. Everything is dark and grim, and the characters feel like they barely care about each other.

I wish they had figured out a way to add any of the charm from

I wish they had figured out a way to add any of the charm from the books, but no dice.
  23. Dec 2, 2021
    Edit Episode 5: I really love what they are doing... So many scenes that do multiple things (lore building, relationship expansion, foreshadowing, character development)... I loved the pacing and the themes in this episode a lot :D
    Episode 4: This is amazing and I want more of it :). The unreliable narrator (or whatever is called for Videos) is very strong here :D.
    Review after 3
    Review after 3 episodes:
    Not perfect, but I am hooked. I really want to see what they do with story. I found the acting (almost) perfect to what I had in mind while reading the books.
    Writing was fine or better than fine most of the time, but I think the delivery of some things/ideas of the story was rather clunky (the Red Ajah chasing scene, the Moraine/Lan arrival at the inn scene).
    Special effects were pretty good (quite amazing half the time), but it's early in the season.
    Pacing was perfect for me (maybe a little slow in the second and third episodes)... don't know quite why :).
  24. Nov 22, 2021
    The show looks very cheep, everything is way too clean and the world doesn't feel lived in or believable at all. It is far from the books.
  25. Nov 20, 2021
    Fantastic. Is it a 1:1 adaptation of the books? No. But does it feel like the books? Absolutely. The actors have their characters down to perfection. The Winternight sequence was everything I could ever have asked for. Even better, it's just a great show, books aside. Episode one admittedly has a rough start. My biggest fear is people drop it after episode one. Don't. It's better on aFantastic. Is it a 1:1 adaptation of the books? No. But does it feel like the books? Absolutely. The actors have their characters down to perfection. The Winternight sequence was everything I could ever have asked for. Even better, it's just a great show, books aside. Episode one admittedly has a rough start. My biggest fear is people drop it after episode one. Don't. It's better on a rewatch, and the incredibly strong episodes two and three (even on a first watch) more than make up for it. Keep going. You're in for a great ride. Expand
  26. Nov 21, 2021
    Better than the critics are giving it credit for. First episode pacing is breakneck and it hurts the story, but episodes 2 and 3 slow the pace a bit and really get to work.

Note: There’s a minority of the fan base that are upset about the PoC casting choices and they’re letting that color their entire (negative) reviews, maybe these people would be better served by reading Terry Goodkind instead of Robert Jordan is all I can say.

As a book reader myself there are a ton of small details this adaptation gets right, even if some plot lines have had some changes made to adapt the story for the screen. I feel all the changes still keep the characters and story intact. Adapting the first book will be one of the biggest challenges of the series and the show runners have struck a good balance here of speeding up some of the slow pacing from the books (not flawlessly though, see my point above) while keeping the meat of the story there.

The casting choices in my opinion are phenomenal, the only negative thing I have to say about it is that Barney Harris won’t be back as Mat for the second season. Harris departed the show for unknown reasons and a new actor (Donal Finn) has already been cast for the role of Mat.

It’s obvious they’ve made this adaptation with a lot of love of the source material and I’m excited to see the awesome, epic moments from the books brought to life in this and future seasons.
  27. Nov 19, 2021
    A strong start to what promises to be a great adaptation of Robert Jordan's massive epic fantasy.

Episode 1 definitely could have been longer - the ending in particular feels rushed, but there isn't a moment wasted, and it sets a strong foundation for the series moving forward.

This is fantasy that isn't afraid of being fantastical.
  28. Nov 20, 2021
    As someone who had read the entire series 4 times and listened to the audiobook 6 times. I will say if your expecting a faithful recreation of the books you will hate the series. However aside from the first episode which is admittedly bad the rest of what I’ve seen has been about what I could expect. I think the first season will get mixed reviews as the first book is not what made theAs someone who had read the entire series 4 times and listened to the audiobook 6 times. I will say if your expecting a faithful recreation of the books you will hate the series. However aside from the first episode which is admittedly bad the rest of what I’ve seen has been about what I could expect. I think the first season will get mixed reviews as the first book is not what made the series great. You can tell the writers are trying to fly through the fairly mundane first book to get to the tower Intrigue and politics that make up the majority the middle part of the books. I think there will be a lot of growing pains as the introduce a large cast of important characters and terminology. I enjoyed the first few episodes but have much higher expectations as the Sabine’s get more into the meat of this world. It’s definitely worth watching but requires a certain level of faith. For now it’s a decent effort but one that has steadily gotten better episode to episode Expand
  29. Nov 21, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Poor man's Game of Thrones. In the wake of GOT's success, The Bezos network apparently, just had to have an epic fantasy of its own. Unfortunately, none of the people footing the bill seem to have read the source material. If they had, they may have realized what a bloated, meandering and ultimately, boring story that they were investing hundreds of millions of dollars to bring to life. Oh, but it gets worse. The writers miss no opportunity to bash the viewer over the head with messages of LGBTQ inclusion, racial inclusion, and women's equality. Their heavy-handedness and sloppiness in pushing this agenda, destroys the illusion realism and makes immersion in the story impossible. Take for instance the lead cast of characters, who are ethnically Caucasian, African, Indian and Spanish, and all hail from the same tiny, isolated mountain town. Consider also the scene where the six foot two Rand cowers in terror when he is locked in a room with a five foot nothing young woman, who he allows, without resistance to snatch his sword. Subsequently, in a slapstick display of comedy, with his superhuman strength he bashes down a steel-reinforced door and sprints away from the girl, who give chase, brandishing his katana. When she admits he has no intention of harming him, Rand still fails to offer resistance and is saved by an onlooker. Suitable only for children who enjoy gratuitous violence. Adult fantasy fans would do better to re watch Game of Thrones. Expand
  30. Nov 23, 2021
    I'll keep it simple: It looks like the scripts were written by someone who never read the books, but consider themselves superior to the highly successful, beloved and acclaimed author like Robert Jordan, and produced by someone who has read them and hated everything in them. Honestly the first 3 episodes felt like hate mail toward Robert Jordan and the fans.

The show's creators excuse

The show's creators excuse that the plot must be compressed to fit the adaptation and for it some storylines and characters needed to be dropped for the pacing and the overall story arc, is laughable a flat out lie, since they've introduced completely new characters and stories that has nothing to do with The Wheel Of Time which take almost 2/3 of the screen time.

In an adaptation of such a great work that is The Wheel Of Time, with it's amazing descriptions, characters and story, to get the basic core world mechanisms, theology, details and characterizations so painfully wrong is simply inexcusable. And to think that this is just the beginning of the journey, this will be a really rotten one for the fans of the books or for fans in general who like a good story.

If they really wanted to tell their story that much, and not the one in the books, they only needed to drop the name The Wheel Of Time and call it Amazon's & Rafe's Generic Fan Fiction or something, and unfortunately it still won't be passable TV show.

The editing is abysmal, diversifying the cast could've work, but it only bogs them down because they've picked the wrong actors, whose acting is so stiff and really bad, the writers are just trying to force the newest and wokest thing of the moment (which will be unacceptable next year when the next woke thing comes along), pacing is all over the place which makes this show completely disjointed and dismal failure.

The only question about this remains: is this show gonna last 2 or 3 seasons?

Hopefully Amazon will learn from this debacle and will not make the same mistakes with it's upcoming adaptation of LoTR.
  31. Nov 21, 2021
    An attempt to tie in with the good old days with GoT, but this series is above all one thing.
    - Superficial
    - Undemanding
    - It's not good for a long time because of some nice fantasy monsters.

The will is there, but the end result is very sobering.
  32. Nov 20, 2021
    I liked all the changes, because it adds depth to the characters right away. Great adaptation of the books
  33. Nov 20, 2021
    I am a long time fan of the books. After the first episode I was apprehensive, but by episode 3 I was thoroughly enjoying it, and I am looking forward to watching more.

This show is NOT like Game of Thrones, and it is also not really like Lord of the Rings. It's a classic fantasy tale, following a bunch of young people on an adventure. Yet the world is more complex than LotR. The show, like the books, takes the notions of good and evil at face value. There is a dark ultimate evil, there will be a savior for humanity. The books give them depth and interesting wrinkles, but if you want the cynical approach of Game of Thrones then this is not for you. If you want the very simple (yet very compelling) contrast of Lord of the Rings, then this show is also not for you. If you are interested in exploring the in between spaces, then you might like this.

Some things on the show in particular:

- the first episode goes by at breakneck speed, this subsides as the show goes on
    - cgi is very good but has moments of notable wonkiness
    - acting is on point, but can come across as very understated, pay attention to the details
  34. Nov 24, 2021
    Just the first 5 minutes of the 1st episode will show you what to expect from this show...It looks like they filmed the 1st scene at the local park down the street from the studio with Go Pro cameras.
  35. Nov 19, 2021
    I'm a big fan of the books, and think this show is well executed and really enjoyed watching it. There are some haters who will downvote because the show is feminine-focused (part of the story) and very diverse in its casting (also a plot point), but I never felt it was forced or caused poor quality. I think both fans of the books as well as new fans can enjoy the show. Just don't expectI'm a big fan of the books, and think this show is well executed and really enjoyed watching it. There are some haters who will downvote because the show is feminine-focused (part of the story) and very diverse in its casting (also a plot point), but I never felt it was forced or caused poor quality. I think both fans of the books as well as new fans can enjoy the show. Just don't expect it to be a copy of Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings (although the early story does remind of LOTR a lot). Casting is very strong, and I hope they can continue making more seasons because the story is great and I would love to see it told on television! Expand
  36. Nov 22, 2021
    One more great book sacrificed on the altar of political correctness, diversity and had to become a TV, easily digestible product. Moiraine heard a rumor, about some 20 year olds who could be the Dragon? Egwene was pushed from a rock, 50 meters high, down a river, in order to get her womanhood approval? Moiraine enters the inn, serpent ring on hand and everyone recognizes her andOne more great book sacrificed on the altar of political correctness, diversity and had to become a TV, easily digestible product. Moiraine heard a rumor, about some 20 year olds who could be the Dragon? Egwene was pushed from a rock, 50 meters high, down a river, in order to get her womanhood approval? Moiraine enters the inn, serpent ring on hand and everyone recognizes her and immediately calls her Moiraine Sedai?? etc, etc, etc... One point for CGI, the rest is unwatchable. Shame on using the "Wheel of Time" brand. Expand
  37. Nov 24, 2021
    Another book was destroyed in the name of "political correctness". They've completely rewritten lore and all the characters to be more "current", and of course for the worse. There are literally "character models" from the author of the books, but they don't care, 80% are race swapped. But even we forget that, actors themselves are just bad. Quality feels like some budget CW show. JustAnother book was destroyed in the name of "political correctness". They've completely rewritten lore and all the characters to be more "current", and of course for the worse. There are literally "character models" from the author of the books, but they don't care, 80% are race swapped. But even we forget that, actors themselves are just bad. Quality feels like some budget CW show. Just another victim of today's Hollywood. Expand
  38. Nov 21, 2021
    It nails the feel, and despite a clunky start to the series, it gets better as it goes. The attention to the underlying story and the condensing of materials, paired with some good changes and wait-and-see ones makes me very excited. It's also quite stunning to look at, and the X-Ray Wheel of Time Origins lore shorts (must watch!) and BTS mini-documentaries are really well done too! IIt nails the feel, and despite a clunky start to the series, it gets better as it goes. The attention to the underlying story and the condensing of materials, paired with some good changes and wait-and-see ones makes me very excited. It's also quite stunning to look at, and the X-Ray Wheel of Time Origins lore shorts (must watch!) and BTS mini-documentaries are really well done too! I can't wait to see it all unfold! Expand
  39. Nov 20, 2021
    Is it true to the books. Hell no.
    Is it still a good show. Also no, unfortunately.
    Acting and dialogs are not naturally, somehow. The characters do not connect with me. Many things happen more out of convenience, because the writer wants it to happen, but not because it make sense to happen. The setting looks to me as if someone was not sure if it should be medieval fantasy or western
    Is it true to the books. Hell no.
    Is it still a good show. Also no, unfortunately.

The setting looks to me as if someone was not sure if it should be medieval fantasy or western style.

If you are not too picky, do not care about the books and enjoy the fact that it is part of Prime membership, you might be able to kill some time watching it. Perhaps at the side during doing something more interesting (like playing Solitaire).
  40. Nov 21, 2021
    It's not perfect but it's a begining. After a second viewing, the first episode gets better. Good acting. Decent VFX. Episodes 2 and 3 are better. I hope it keeps improving.
  41. Nov 20, 2021
    Excellent job so far. I am a big fan of the books and was worried this adaptation wouldn't live up to them. The visuals, the acting, the casting, etc. All brilliant.
  42. Nov 19, 2021
    The Wheel of Time's adaptation is not perfect. The creative direction sometimes splits too far from it's source (and from my imagination) at times and a lot of characters I've known from reading the books seem to be a lot more broody/angry then they were in the original narrative I grew up with, but overall, I'm happy with the adaptation. It captures the spirit pretty well, if not spedThe Wheel of Time's adaptation is not perfect. The creative direction sometimes splits too far from it's source (and from my imagination) at times and a lot of characters I've known from reading the books seem to be a lot more broody/angry then they were in the original narrative I grew up with, but overall, I'm happy with the adaptation. It captures the spirit pretty well, if not sped up and darker than the original.

Overall, I wish it was a tad bit more light-hearted. At least for the first season or at least the opening episodes in the Two Rivers with our main characters. Some time to know them before their adventure would have been well earned in my opinion.

There are some standout casting - specifically, so far I really enjoy Thom and Tam's casting. There are some questionable ones that I still have to grow with... but nothing is so dislikeable that ruins my experience.

I completely understand some of the arbitrary plot-change complaints. I can name a few that feel like they didn't need to change from the source material - but perhaps they pay off later in the show. There were a couple of good ones though, especially Perrin's

Ultimately, I would have preferred much slower pacing for the show. I'd rather have the plot of the first two episodes have been spread across four and allow the characters in their hometown to build up some personality. and banter and live inside their innocence a bit longer than the show allowed.

Once they split up, they could have then sped up the show and cut out a ton of filler.

Beyond that - there are much worse adaptations out there and I think that this adaptation does the series justice for what it is. This might not be the best NEXT thing but it's certainly the best for a beloved series and prefer this to over no show at all.
  43. Nov 20, 2021
    Way too diverse. Terrible writing. Neither faithful to the books nor different from them in a good way, just changes that are worse and make less sense for no apparent reason.
  44. Nov 20, 2021
    Mostly just disappointed that it's so bland and paint by numbers. It reminds me of the recent Dune movie in that it's a story that is really too rich and detailed to ever properly translate into film, and it tells you a lot about the utter lack of originality and vision in Hollywood that they'd rather do half-assed, 4-color adaptations (with the usual woke stunt casting) of decades-oldMostly just disappointed that it's so bland and paint by numbers. It reminds me of the recent Dune movie in that it's a story that is really too rich and detailed to ever properly translate into film, and it tells you a lot about the utter lack of originality and vision in Hollywood that they'd rather do half-assed, 4-color adaptations (with the usual woke stunt casting) of decades-old books than ever risk a sizable budget creating new stories tailor made for the screen. Expand
  45. Nov 19, 2021
    Feels cheap somehow. Didn't like the book that much, liking the series even less.
  46. Nov 19, 2021
    Amazing high fantasy show based on the legendary books by Robert Jordan. Comparisons will be made to Game of Thrones (understandably), but this story is it's own entity and (if given the chance) will actually get stronger and stronger as we reach the end (opposite of GoT)

Even if you are not a fantasy-inclined viewer, stick with it; there are so many relevant and complex themes this show will explore (Is pacifism actually wrong if your people are being killed and abused? Is ending suffering a justification for destroying everything? Should females seek gender balance instead of dominance?)

Do yourself a favor and check it out, you won't regret it!
  47. Nov 19, 2021
    Huge fan of the series, have read it multiple times through. Loved this adaptation! Different from the books? Absolutely. True to the soul of the story, and most changes seem right for TV. Don't love them all, but it is great to watch and still have the ability to be surprised when I feel like I have this story memorized.

Ton of negativity surrounding pretty minor things, and I

Ton of negativity surrounding pretty minor things, and I really can't understand it. It's different, but it's good. Acting is real, effects are incredible, and it should only get better. Book 1 was one of the slowest of the series in terms of character development and action, and they did it justice. Can't wait to see this unfold on screen!
  48. Nov 19, 2021
    A few growing pains here or there in the first episode give way to an expansive series.
  49. Nov 19, 2021
    Really good start, hoping it can build and expand just like the original books did
  50. Nov 19, 2021
    The opening is a bit clunky but it really heats up after that.

Excellent acting. Beautiful cinematography. Gorgeous costumes and set design. Absolutely amazing practical effects.
  51. Nov 20, 2021
    As I've been told so many times by multiple different people, any adaptation of a book isn't going to compare to your own imagination. There will be discrepancies. However after the first three episodes, I feel like this is very loosely based on the books and that more has been changed than you would normally say is down to artistic license. On a positive I feel Rand and Matt are as IAs I've been told so many times by multiple different people, any adaptation of a book isn't going to compare to your own imagination. There will be discrepancies. However after the first three episodes, I feel like this is very loosely based on the books and that more has been changed than you would normally say is down to artistic license. On a positive I feel Rand and Matt are as I imagined both visual and in character.
    This is pretty much the only thing I feel positive about, as everything else seems to feel very average or even worse, sadly lacking. Even if you're not a fan of the books as a series it feels clunky, disjointed, fast in parts and slow in others. The sets have been very well made and the landscape is beautiful, but it reminds me of watching The Legend of Hercules or Xena Warrior Princess back in the 90s.
    I've read other reviews and I know some fans are enjoying the adaptation, however not that my opinion means much, but I'm not sure how. I'm not gripped, I struggled with watching the first three episodes and I'm not sure if I can sit through anymore unless it gets drastically better.
    As I've said, just my opinion for what it's worth, but I will not be recommending it to my friends and family.
  52. Nov 21, 2021
    Rocky cold open may put first-time watchers off, however the character writing and acting is spot on. The performances of the main cast carry the first episode on their shoulders, from episode 2 on the show really comes into it's own and starts to shine.
  53. Nov 21, 2021
    I read the books a few years ago, but based on what I remember of the story I think they’re doing an impressive job adapting it. The cast is great and the acting is strong. The only issue I have, so far, are some of the special effects seem off to me. I’m hoping people will watch the series because I know Amazon is spending major $$$ on it. I don’t want to see it cancelled. So, pleaseI read the books a few years ago, but based on what I remember of the story I think they’re doing an impressive job adapting it. The cast is great and the acting is strong. The only issue I have, so far, are some of the special effects seem off to me. I’m hoping people will watch the series because I know Amazon is spending major $$$ on it. I don’t want to see it cancelled. So, please watch it!!! Expand
  54. Nov 20, 2021
    Absolutely horrible. As a book reader this is bad. My wife hasn't read the books and she also thinks its horrible. Cliche junk. Acting is stiff. Dialogue is laughably bad. Season 8 of game of thrones seems like a masterpiece compared with this junk.
  55. Nov 19, 2021
    So so good. Been waiting two decades for this and it absolutely cleared expectations!
  56. Nov 19, 2021
    I think a lot of the fans going up in arms over the changes that have been made forget how characters were in book 1. The only characters with any real depth were Rand, Nynaeve, and Perrin. Rand was the main viewpoint so you got to see all of his internal struggles. Perrin was "the quiet one" until you got to his chapters, and ALL of his development is internal. Characters literallyI think a lot of the fans going up in arms over the changes that have been made forget how characters were in book 1. The only characters with any real depth were Rand, Nynaeve, and Perrin. Rand was the main viewpoint so you got to see all of his internal struggles. Perrin was "the quiet one" until you got to his chapters, and ALL of his development is internal. Characters literally comment at one point toward the end of book 1 that Perrin has gotten *more* quiet than he was before. And the only reason Nynaeve didn't come off as just "that angry lady" is because her first viewpoint chapter is literally a giant exposition piece about her backstory and motivations, which explains precisely why she acts the way she does.

Mat is "that funny guy who gets a knife and becomes a jackass" and Egwene is "the love interest."

Book 1 was by far the weakest of all 14 books, and most fans know that. Every time I tell people to read the books I always mention "hey, book 1 is a little weird, and isn't actually super indicative of the rest of the books, so keep going even if it starts to feel weird."

So while changes were made, I completely understand them. Mat now actually has a character, and that character 100% nails who he is in the other books, even if it isn't completely accurate to who he starts as. Perrin actually has on-screen motivations and isn't just "the guy who broods in the corner" for no reason, now. His storyline has a good start for where it goes, and he desperately needed that for an on-screen adaptation. Rand is the most book-accurate, and my non-book reader GF thought he was the least interesting of the main cast. I didn't think any of the performances I saw were bad.

The CGI is generally pretty good. I understand what they are going for, but there were a couple of shots where I thought it didn't quite look good, and one where I thought it just looked bad. The channeling portrayal is spot on though, that's been done really well.

All in all, if you're not an insane purist about the books, I think this is an adaptation to be happy about.
  57. Nov 19, 2021
    Decent, but "by the numbers" interpretation of Robert Jordan's epic novels.

Decent, but "by the numbers" interpretation of Robert Jordan's epic novels.

In 2009, this would have been a ground-breaking show. It has good production quality, beautiful scenery and solid acting. But in 2021 it feels a bit lackluster in the writing department. The characters seem bland with little personality beyond what the plot requires of them. And in general, it all feels a bit "by the numbers".

But just like the Witcher, it might just need to hit its stride....
  58. Nov 19, 2021
    While it's not perfect and first episode was maybe 8 out of 10 rather than 9 it really seems to pick up from there. They have captured the essence of the story well and there hasn't really been any notable changes that have significantly bothered me.
  59. Nov 20, 2021
    A vast disappointment. Like somebody just read the cliff notes of the series.
  60. Nov 19, 2021
    Nope. If you have read the books then I can't imagine you will enjoy this. Even if you haven't read the books it all feels a little wooden. Many of the changes they made seem to be edgy only for the sake of edginess. I think they are trying to make it darker and more tragic in an effort to hook Game of Thrones fans. It just feels like they forgot the source material and createdNope. If you have read the books then I can't imagine you will enjoy this. Even if you haven't read the books it all feels a little wooden. Many of the changes they made seem to be edgy only for the sake of edginess. I think they are trying to make it darker and more tragic in an effort to hook Game of Thrones fans. It just feels like they forgot the source material and created something that feels rushed and low quality. Expand
  61. Nov 19, 2021
    I genuinely enjoyed the first few episodes of The Wheel of Time. As a book reader, the changes made for functionality of the show does not bother me at all. I have a few small criticisms but I honestly think they will be addressed by the end of the season and I am more than willing to tone patient and let the show runner tell Robert Jordans story on tv. It is an adaption and if you reallyI genuinely enjoyed the first few episodes of The Wheel of Time. As a book reader, the changes made for functionality of the show does not bother me at all. I have a few small criticisms but I honestly think they will be addressed by the end of the season and I am more than willing to tone patient and let the show runner tell Robert Jordans story on tv. It is an adaption and if you really think about translating the book to the screen, things need to be changed. I am pleasantly surprised so far! Can't wait for more! Expand
  62. Nov 20, 2021
    This is a different version of the story than the one in the books. A different turning of the Wheel, if you will. But the core of the characters and the story is there, and they got the feel right. This is no small accomplishment. Also, the changes make it feel fresh to fans of the books.

The only problem is that 8 episodes in a season is too little space to tell such a huge story. Thankfully, they up the pace instead of watering it down. But it still feels like a lot of plot in a short amount of time, especially in the first episode. It gets better after that (and dare we dream of an extended edition?).

All in all, could have been so much worse. Relieved and excited to see where this show goes next.
  63. Nov 19, 2021
    On the whole, a very promising start to the season after the first three episodes. The (necessarily many) changes from the book are, for the most part, well-thought-out and productive. There are some pacing issues and a few clunky scenes in the first episode, but it's enjoyable nonetheless, and the later episodes improve considerably. The acting is solid throughout, with Zoe Robin'sOn the whole, a very promising start to the season after the first three episodes. The (necessarily many) changes from the book are, for the most part, well-thought-out and productive. There are some pacing issues and a few clunky scenes in the first episode, but it's enjoyable nonetheless, and the later episodes improve considerably. The acting is solid throughout, with Zoe Robin's Nynaeve, Barney Harris's Mat, and Rosamund Pike's Moiraine standing out particularly as of episode three (and Michael McElhattan's Tam is excellent, albeit too rarely seen).

Some of the dialogue feels a little stilted at times, but on the whole, there is an abundance of good things about the series: the sets and scenery are beautiful, the musical score is great, the practical effects are good, and perhaps most importantly for book fans, the spirit of each of the characters as individuals, as well as the overall spirit of the plot and metaplot of the Wheel of Time books, are faithfully and effectively captured. The show seems to be getting better as it goes on, and there is enormous potential for the series to blossom into something truly sensational as the season progresses.

Ignore reviews from the crowds claiming the show is trying to be "woke" or that it deviates drastically too far from the books; the latter claim is vastly overstated (only a few plot/character changes even rank as having "questionable merit" considering the realities of TV production, and those are minor ones), and the former claim is utterly laughable and patently untrue, as even the briefest viewing of the show can confirm.

Lastly, complaints that the show's fantasy elements feel "clichéd" or "bland" are not entirely wrong (though perhaps overstated); however, it's essential to understand that the emphasis of certain well-known tropes in the beginning of the series is a reflection of the same phenomenon in the books, where the familiar trappings of fantasy are meant to ease first-time readers/viewers into a seemingly familiar fantasy setting before taking the fantasy rulebook, tearing it to pieces, setting said pieces ablaze, and dancing on their ashes. In short, if something feels clichéd, it's almost certainly by design, and the ultimate payoff should be more than worth it when the delightfully shocking true nature of the Wheel of Time fantasy universe is revealed.

Strongly recommended to book readers and non-book readers alike.
  64. Nov 20, 2021
    Rafe has successfully and beautifully captured the spirit of the books. After a rocky start, the series only continues to get better, and hints at the vastness of the world to unfold. The core cast is superb, and reason alone to dive into this amazing series - anyone who sticks it out is in for a treat.
  65. Nov 19, 2021
    I'm so happy with how this turned out. I was worried that the quality would be lacking based on some of the previews, but they really did a great job with it overall.

You know it's a good show, when the negative reviews focus on ethnic casting of characters they imagined as being white.
  66. Nov 19, 2021
    This is a pretty good adaptation of Robert Jordan's beloved series. The casting is incredible and they all bring to life their characters. The show manages to introduce audiences to a very wide, complicated world without relying too much on long info-dumps. There are some changes that may upset some book purists, but nothing excessive, in my opinion. The show does have some pacing issuesThis is a pretty good adaptation of Robert Jordan's beloved series. The casting is incredible and they all bring to life their characters. The show manages to introduce audiences to a very wide, complicated world without relying too much on long info-dumps. There are some changes that may upset some book purists, but nothing excessive, in my opinion. The show does have some pacing issues (especially the first 20 minutes of episode 1 and the first 10 minutes of episode 3).
    Overall, the show is much like the first book: at times can feel derivative but it's good enough to get us hooked. Wheel of Time readers will know that the series really becomes amazing sometime between books 2 and 4. Let's hope the show follows through with its own promise of greatness.
  67. Nov 19, 2021
    Really compelling beginning to a fantasy series. I’ll be watching the rest of the season!
  68. Nov 19, 2021
    This adaptation is great, especially for books that are so hard to represent visually. I loved the photography and environments.

The first few minutes felt rushed since there was so much to cover, but by end of first episode the pacing was fixed already. The cast is great and matches book descriptions better than other adaptations. I’ve seen people complain about details such as skin

The cast is great and matches book descriptions better than other adaptations. I’ve seen people complain about details such as skin color—Jordan doesn’t describe the characters skin color often, and if you look at the few times he does, casting is on point even on that.
  69. Nov 19, 2021
    Long-time fan of the books. I’m excited for a new take on the classic story. The characters are shining through.
  70. Nov 19, 2021
    It's not possible for a TV show to be exact to a book or book series, but I'm impressed with how smart and faithful this adaptation is, and if everyone gives it a chance they'll end up hooked
  71. Nov 20, 2021
    First episode of the show felt rushed. But other episodes was magnificent. I havent seen a show that has so many good actors for a lobg time. The music is very good, the sets and atmosphere is great. I cant wait to see more episodes.
  72. Nov 22, 2021
    From the first three episodes, I find myself enjoying it quite a bit. There are changes made that feel as if they were made for brevity. This is not really a bad thing considering how stale and stiff a show about this world would feel if it went book page by book page. They also only plan on doing 8 seasons, something my husband informed me of. They will definitely have to shorten thingsFrom the first three episodes, I find myself enjoying it quite a bit. There are changes made that feel as if they were made for brevity. This is not really a bad thing considering how stale and stiff a show about this world would feel if it went book page by book page. They also only plan on doing 8 seasons, something my husband informed me of. They will definitely have to shorten things down to get it into the small episode count vs content. Remember folks this book series is NOTICABLY longer than G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. I'd like to note by Episode three things feel a bit more in-swing. Another thing to remember is that the Wheel of Time turns and these variations are absolutely possible if this is a different cycle than the ones from the books. Expand
  73. Nov 25, 2021
    Die Hollywood! Write your own stories and never take the books! You're destroying everything!
  74. Nov 19, 2021
    I Love it! Big fat Epic Fantasy!
    I Loved the Characters and the world building
  75. Nov 20, 2021
    Love it. Not happy with some of the changes, and what they did to Matt's parrents :( . But overall I love it.
  76. Nov 19, 2021
    As a huge fan of the books, I went in expecting mediocre. If you are willing to accept the changes they made, I found it to be excellent.
  77. Nov 19, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Creaky first episode, but episode 2 and 3 really take off! Enjoying the actors, music, and character development. Shows character development through actions in a very satisfying way. Would highly recommend! Expand
  78. Nov 21, 2021
    Dont believe the haters! This is good. A slow burn, just you see! Excellent!
  79. Nov 19, 2021
    Love it! One of my favorite fantasies! I never read the books but now I am.
  80. Nov 19, 2021
    I thought they did a great job with the adaptation. I've read all the books. Some changes I don't like, but my expectations were still surpassed. My score is slightly pumped because some of these reviews are so ridiculously low for no reason.
  81. Nov 19, 2021
    First class character, plot and world building with a fast moving plot and gripping action. Great CGI from episode one onwards is a big help in this fantasy setting!
  82. Nov 19, 2021
    There are many people I see angry claiming the show is "woke" and not faithful to the books. As a book reader of the series I have found that this show captures the spirit of the books and does so in a way that makes me hungry for more.
  83. Nov 21, 2021
    About Me & Wheel of Time:
    About Me & Wheel of Time:
    I've read em all. Pretty solid up until 7 or 8 when Jordan goes senile & spends half of each book w/ 3 page descriptions of dresses & tea sets. Sanderson manages to wrap it up competently into a B-level series. Props to Jordan for being a man of character & making sure the story got finished for the fans.... unlike SOME authors we might mention who will never finish their series.

(That's right, he ain't never finishing. Put it out of your head, GRRM fans. And he said he won't pass the outline on, the schmuck.)

Me & This Show, Positives:
    Casting is pretty good. The kid's acting will improve.
    Adaptation isn't too bad. I don't mind that they adultified it. Jordan always seemed a bit infantile on that score, and this is not Lord of the Rings. You can bet I won't be so happy with elf/hobbit orgies in LotR (& they are coming, believe me,) but here it seems a good choice.
    Trollocs & fades look GREAT. I'm glad they went full-on with the violence & gore: it gives weight to the main characters' plight & mission(s.)
    Special effects & locations solid in general. They spent serious money.
    Rafe Judkins has real experience running shows, so this should get better. (Judging from Chuck & Agents of Shield, it should improve substantially s02 on. It needs to. My 6 is closer to a 5 than a 7.)

Neutral:
    The Diversity: non-white actors gotta work too, and this ain't written to be purely Northern European mythos like LotR, so I have no problems with a multi-racial reiteration *generally.* The Questioner & Padain Fain are stand-outs in fact. However...

The DUHversity: did the "Blood of Manethrin" somehow run down a thousand years+ sustaining multiple shades of people? That's DUHversity for ya. They should have just cast the whole Two Rivers with Indians/Bangladeshi/Pakistanis or Latinos or whatever. Doesn't fracture the 4th wall, and then Rand & Tam stand out more as outsiders grown insider.

My other negatives are shared with the books. As I said, it's a B, B minus series overall. If I was gonna drop 10M an ep I would choose The First Law or The Name of the Wind (presuming I could see a good outline for the last of that trilogy.) Maybe even The Malazan Cycle.

Fortunately The Wheel of Time is
    a. FINISHED
    &
    b. editable. The relative lack of plot in books 8-13 will be easily compressible by a good editor, and the show's editors will have had lots of practice if they make it that far. Sanderson wraps it up pretty well if so. There's a fair chance this could exceed the books.
  84. Nov 22, 2021
    Nothing seems lived-in, so while the plot, action and effects are great, the cinematography, wardrobe and sets leave with a feeling i can't shake, that I'm watching some elaborate new perfume commercial.
  85. Nov 22, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A solid "meh" with potential. And the only reason it reaches meh territory is because of the enormous budget that allows for wonderful set pieces, costumes and props. Acting is pretty good as well.

That's where my praise stops though. Particularly in the first episode, the direction is slipshod, and pacing horrible. Both improve slightly in episodes 2 and 3, when they're not trying to cram a whole bunch of character development and plot beats into too short a time, but not to the caliber you'd expect from a $10M/episode budget.

The writing...falls flat. Again, no where near the caliber you'd expect from a production of this magnitude. Now, I'm not going to compare this to Game of Thrones in the same way others are, because The Wheel of Time is a different kind of fantasy and tone. But there's one part I want to point out about where Game of Thrones went so right in the early seasons: they KNEW their characters. And almost always when they deviated from GRRM's script, it was in a way that SUITED the characters. For instance, the scenes between Arya and Tywin in season 2 were beautifully suited to developing their characters.
    In Wheel of Time, there's some questionable deviations. Mat's parents....why?! I can sort of understand Perrin having a wife, and his killing her as a sort of character development device to explain why he'll be so fearful of his connection with the wolves, but did he really need that? in the books, Moiraine and Lan warn the townsfolk of impending trolloc attack, but in the show they let the town get slaughtered at first. Why? It lessens their characters, for a cheap surprise moment for the audience.

The biggest deviation I'm pissed about is the idea that Egwene could possibly be the Dragon Reborn. That totally goes against all ethos! How can the Dragon Reborn be a woman, when that would render pointless the idea of a Dragon Reborn, all the prophecy, and how the whole thing functions??? Just seems like they stuck that in there for brownie points.

It just feels like the story beats aren't landing as solidly as they aught to, and that's disappointing. But that's how I've felt with a lot of Amazon shows. They're just not quite on the same level as Netflix originals.

I'm going to continue watching, probably in a few weeks when a good backlog of episodes is up. I'm just not hooked enough to watch week to week right now. Hopefully it improves.
  86. Nov 22, 2021
    I realized that this was going to be very meh in the first 30 seconds of exposition about finding the "chosen one" or whatever, and boy oh boy did this show not disappoint. There is no humor, which indicates that the show is trying to be very serious and dark. But for that to work you need strong characters with strong personalities and great dialogue to show those personalities (see:I realized that this was going to be very meh in the first 30 seconds of exposition about finding the "chosen one" or whatever, and boy oh boy did this show not disappoint. There is no humor, which indicates that the show is trying to be very serious and dark. But for that to work you need strong characters with strong personalities and great dialogue to show those personalities (see: Tyrion/Tywin/Bronn/ etc etc) and there's simply none of that here. Why is there a samurai guarding a wizard? What the **** is his deal? We get like two lines of dialogue about it, and that's it.

None of the characters are likeable, being dark and mysterious and never explaining anything fully even when you're travelling together for several days is not a character trait. This is, at best, a very average experience.
  87. Nov 22, 2021
    The changes are —I believe— for the best and I love the overall tone of the series. It's perfect! Can't wait to see more of it in the weeks to come!!!
  88. Nov 19, 2021
    Great so far and the episodes are getting progressively better. Each of the main characters embody the book equivalent or even in some cases improve and enhance the familiar. The pacing of the first episode was a bit off, but all first three episodes taken together make for a great trajectory towards the Eye of the World in episode 8
  89. Nov 20, 2021
    Awesome show to an awesome book series! I really like what they did to the back stories of perrin and matt. Yes there are changes but the story follows in the same paths as the books with some twist and turns
  90. Nov 22, 2021
    I really love the costumes and the cinematography. Its so different from the drab clothes & washed out colors we get in other fantasy series. I have read the books and the characters are so on point even if the story is a little changed. Honestly I'm looking forward for the little changes because so far it really adds to the story and as a book fan its interesting to not know how certainI really love the costumes and the cinematography. Its so different from the drab clothes & washed out colors we get in other fantasy series. I have read the books and the characters are so on point even if the story is a little changed. Honestly I'm looking forward for the little changes because so far it really adds to the story and as a book fan its interesting to not know how certain aspects will play out. Character dynamics are just right, and acting is superb! Overall it exceeded my expectations and I recommend this show to everyone! Expand
  91. Nov 22, 2021
    Long term fans of this series are blasting it for not being a word-for-word adaptation. Since I am a long-term fan, I encourage you to give it a shot! It is a beautifully shot, fast-paced epic adventure with incredible performances by the lead actors. It is still coming into its own and laying the groundwork for later, but still shines leagues above similar fantasy shows in their earlyLong term fans of this series are blasting it for not being a word-for-word adaptation. Since I am a long-term fan, I encourage you to give it a shot! It is a beautifully shot, fast-paced epic adventure with incredible performances by the lead actors. It is still coming into its own and laying the groundwork for later, but still shines leagues above similar fantasy shows in their early episodes. A must watch for me! Expand
  92. Nov 22, 2021
    Glorious adaption to Jordan's books! perfect? no but certainly good that is to say well acted great SFX and full of potential, watched the first three episodes and cant wait for more!
  93. Nov 19, 2021
    Absolutely fantastic, an excellent adaptation, the characters are completely faithful
  94. Nov 21, 2021
    Enjoying the season so far, fast paced. Looking forward to seeing how they adapt the immense story.
  95. Nov 25, 2021
    I have read the book series and thought it was fine, if a bit derivative. That said, there is enough going on in the books that they kept my attention for 13(?) books. I'm three episodes in and this tv show seems to have distilled the books down to what makes them good. We'll see how the show continues, but at this point is a actually say the show is actually better than the books. TheI have read the book series and thought it was fine, if a bit derivative. That said, there is enough going on in the books that they kept my attention for 13(?) books. I'm three episodes in and this tv show seems to have distilled the books down to what makes them good. We'll see how the show continues, but at this point is a actually say the show is actually better than the books. The Santos capture the characters and dynamic well. Excluding Perrin's huge initial deviation from the book character, most of the deviations from the book seem to serve the show well. Expand
  96. Nov 24, 2021
    The show manages to keep the main themes of the books, while also making interesting changes that use the advantages of the visual medium. The landscapes are breathtaking and the music does a wonderful job of setting the atmosphere. All of the actors are doing a great job, with Rosamund Pike at the forefront. For me, the stand-outs from the younger cast were Barney Harris as Mat and ZoeThe show manages to keep the main themes of the books, while also making interesting changes that use the advantages of the visual medium. The landscapes are breathtaking and the music does a wonderful job of setting the atmosphere. All of the actors are doing a great job, with Rosamund Pike at the forefront. For me, the stand-outs from the younger cast were Barney Harris as Mat and Zoe Robins as Nynaeve. All in all, an imaginative fantasy series, that has only scratched the surface of the expansive world of Robert Jordan. I can't wait to see the rest of story unfold. Expand
  97. Nov 19, 2021
    Scratches the itch for fantasy in a way that most shows miss the mark these days.
  98. Nov 23, 2021
    I'm currently on my third read through of the books, and while I am very much a fan, I don't believe the books are infallible. The overarching story and characters are wonderful, but it's also needlessly long with plot lines that drag on and dozens of superfluous characters. My main hope for the show was that they'd maintain the core plot elements and characters while they condense theI'm currently on my third read through of the books, and while I am very much a fan, I don't believe the books are infallible. The overarching story and characters are wonderful, but it's also needlessly long with plot lines that drag on and dozens of superfluous characters. My main hope for the show was that they'd maintain the core plot elements and characters while they condense the rest out of necessity. I knew that was going to require changes, and I expected I wouldn't agree with all of them. Through three episodes, my expectations were correct. However, none of the changes so far have diverged from the central story I want to see brought to life.

The first few scenes were, frankly, not very good, which is unfortunate as it will likely create a negative first impression for many viewers, myself included. Thankfully, every element of the show improves from that point on. By the third episode, the show hit its stride, and I was convinced of its potential. While it's not perfect, I am relieved that the writing, acting, and production value are good enough to make the show watchable even when I disagree or question some of the creative choices. I would have watched every episode regardless and watching something you don't enjoy is quite the slog. ;)

9/10 for now based on what I've seen and for its potential.
  99. Nov 27, 2021
    The book story has a passionate following, and there are changes in the TV version that have thrown people off, but fundamentally it's the same story. Also, it's an epic fantasy, better likened to Lord of the Rings or The Witcher, not GoT. These marketing missteps have thrown off the initial reviews, but when you get past it, this is a good story and has the potential to be the bestThe book story has a passionate following, and there are changes in the TV version that have thrown people off, but fundamentally it's the same story. Also, it's an epic fantasy, better likened to Lord of the Rings or The Witcher, not GoT. These marketing missteps have thrown off the initial reviews, but when you get past it, this is a good story and has the potential to be the best fantasy story told on television (at least, to date). It's not there yet, but it really does have the potential.

It's a classic "chosen one" story, except the prophesies all indicate that the chosen one can go good or bad. That's the fun of the story, it's not predictable. Add in multiple competing nations, different cultures, interesting bad guys, an interesting magic system, and likable characters - well that's the formula. The original books have something like 12,000 pages of content, so lots to work with.

The first episode is too compressed, but the writers are getting the show moving. The pacing is much better in the following episodes.

If you like fantasy stories, and aren't thrown off by the changes from the book. then you will like this. I really wanted to give this 8.5 stars but I can't, and I am a fanboy, so I rounded up.
  100. Nov 23, 2021
    An extremely good start to an already excellent book series.
    I am looking forward to rest of season 1

Mixed or average reviews - based on 24 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Emily Baker
    Dec 3, 2021
    For such a potentially rich series, The Wheel of Time is curiously flat. Little time is spent on character development or exploring the politics, social hierarchy and cultural touchstones of its world. Instead, there are many beautiful, but unnecessary, sweeping shots of scenery and overdramatic, overextended fight scenes.
  2. Reviewed by: Rebecca Long
    Dec 2, 2021
    Wheel of Time succeeds in retaining the earnestness and hope that characterize the novels, and which Game of Thrones lacked. But it also offers viewers something new. ... Wheel of Time is more soft touches and sweeping landscapes.
  3. TV Guide Magazine
    Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Nov 22, 2021
    While the lavish first season is eventful, it's burdened with clunky exposition, a deficit of whimsy and wonder, and thinly developed characters. [22 Nov - 5 Dec 2021, p.9]