9.0

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Feb 4, 2013
    Great graphics with multiple art styles and a voice acting 2nd only to kid icarus It has the same formula as all the fire emblems you come to love but gives you the choice to play on easy mode so beginners to the franchise can first get used to it then can play it harder, it even receives some great crafted dlc and wireless co-op mode to make t on of the greatest games in the 3ds library,Great graphics with multiple art styles and a voice acting 2nd only to kid icarus It has the same formula as all the fire emblems you come to love but gives you the choice to play on easy mode so beginners to the franchise can first get used to it then can play it harder, it even receives some great crafted dlc and wireless co-op mode to make t on of the greatest games in the 3ds library, that's allot to say considering you have mario 3d land and kid icarus. Expand
  2. Feb 5, 2013
    Simply amazing. Presentation, menus, graphics, gameplay, music and more, this game has it all. I love the sleek new look that they have given everything and the gameplay has gone through a great new reboot. This game is incredibly addicting and doesn't cease to please any hardcore strategy RPG fan. I recommend playing on classic hard mode for your first playthrough, I wouldn't recommendSimply amazing. Presentation, menus, graphics, gameplay, music and more, this game has it all. I love the sleek new look that they have given everything and the gameplay has gone through a great new reboot. This game is incredibly addicting and doesn't cease to please any hardcore strategy RPG fan. I recommend playing on classic hard mode for your first playthrough, I wouldn't recommend doing casual mode unless that's your thing I guess. All in all, get this game if you have a 3DS. Expand
  3. Feb 4, 2013
    Easily a goty contender and it's portable! Get it now... It is everything that is fine in a srpg and so much more. Excelent in every aspect, from character development to graphics...
  4. Nov 9, 2014
    This is probably one of the best games I've ever played in my life.
    This is probably one of the best games I've ever played in my life.
    This was my introduction to the Fire Emblem series and i'm impressed. You can really feel all the effort the developers put in this game. The music, the story, the gameplay, everything in this game is great. You really care about those characters and what happens to them. The relationship system is also great. It develops the characters and improves the game play. This mixed with the class system give this game great replay value. The soundtrack is fantastic. I was actually blown away by some of the music in the game. But keep in mind, this is not a game for everyone. It's a strategy RPG so the action is not the most important. It requires patience and thought. Even before I bought it I thought I wasn't gonna like. So keep an open mind about it. For me, it is the best game on 3DS right now and I think everyone should give it a shot.
  5. Feb 14, 2015
    Just about the perfect turn based strategy game? - Yes.
    - I love the graphics, beautiful sprites and backgrounds, and the cutscenes are amazing.
    - The soundscape is great aswell, good voice acting and awesome music.
    - The story is very good, I guess you can find better, but it works very well.

Go buy the game yesterday, it is that good.
  6. Jan 6, 2015
    This game is brilliant; a classic RPG story, thoroughly perfected mechanic systems, extensive support and relationship combinations, nostalgic music delivered in a very original method during battles, brilliant character writing which creates truly memorable characters, a perma-death option for those that want to play with an ultimate challenge, around 30 hours of content, a plethora ofThis game is brilliant; a classic RPG story, thoroughly perfected mechanic systems, extensive support and relationship combinations, nostalgic music delivered in a very original method during battles, brilliant character writing which creates truly memorable characters, a perma-death option for those that want to play with an ultimate challenge, around 30 hours of content, a plethora of DLC - this game is one of the most original RPG's/Tactics games I have played.

My one only gripe is that the 'Barracks' system could have been expanded so much more; this mechanic is rather overshadowed from the perfection of all of the other mechanics.

Nonetheless, if you own a 3DS and don't already own this game, you are truly missing out - you don't need to be knowledgeable with the previous Fire Emblem games to enjoy this memorable experience, so it is a great place to start in the series.
  7. Aug 25, 2013
    Fire Emblem Awakening is a perfect 3DS game of a year, The storyline is amazing, graphics are good. I have been so much enjoyed this game. The boss fights are extremely insane.
  8. Sep 1, 2013
    Wow, just Wow, this game honors the fire emblem saga, beautiful story line, characters, CHARACTERIZATION, the game play, the tactics the challenge. Definitively a must play for 3ds, Do play it if you are not familiar with the series. The wedding/having kids detail is new and well placed.
  9. Aug 20, 2013
    This game is Amazing, Hands down it is the best 3DS game out there, if you have a 3DS and don't have this game, get it, NOW. Almost everything about this game is perfect, The animation, the writing the strategy, and the basic but complicated game-play is so much fun. Every character has their own little quirk that makes them interesting and because of this every character felt unique,This game is Amazing, Hands down it is the best 3DS game out there, if you have a 3DS and don't have this game, get it, NOW. Almost everything about this game is perfect, The animation, the writing the strategy, and the basic but complicated game-play is so much fun. Every character has their own little quirk that makes them interesting and because of this every character felt unique, there were never any characters that felt unnecessary in the game. One part that I found quite surprising was the story, most JRPG stories are convoluted and usually don't make any sense, but fire emblem's story is pretty basic (Storyline is essentially Kill the evil king, slay the dragon and collect the magical gems to power your MacGuffin) however a big twist in the story right around the Half-Way point (Don't worry I won't ruin it for you) helps keep you entertained by it, this game also features some story telling elements that aren't normally done in fantasy. Basically in the end I personally love every thing about this game, the only problem I had was wondering how Nintendo and Intelligent Systems will top themselves next time, it seems like they put all their ideas and thoughts into this game and I really hope that they don't run out of ideas before the next game in the series. Expand
  10. Oct 14, 2013
    Oh man, this game is something. This is one of the best games I have ever played in my life. The story is absolutely amazing. The gameplay is awesome, and the overall rpg aspect is just fantastic. I love the freedom you have with your characters and their classes. I love how there is a marriage system due to the awesome new characters you can unlock. I definitely recommend this game toOh man, this game is something. This is one of the best games I have ever played in my life. The story is absolutely amazing. The gameplay is awesome, and the overall rpg aspect is just fantastic. I love the freedom you have with your characters and their classes. I love how there is a marriage system due to the awesome new characters you can unlock. I definitely recommend this game to anyone who likes an amazing story and enjoy the turn-based gameplay aspect. Try this game out. Oh, and I really like how critics and users rated this game at 92, I think this game is a 96-100, but I don't mind an official 92 rating. Expand
  11. Sep 23, 2013
    I'm a long time fan of the series, having played each game available stateside (and several that typically aren't, thanks to fan translations.) This is why I can say without hesitation that this game is easily the best in the series. Crisp and stunning graphics, solid and spot on game play, and writing/humor that's unparalleled in the genre.

The biggest addition to this game over the

The biggest addition to this game over the other titles is the DLC- downloadable and replayable chapters that add a lot of longevity to this title, and remove the need for both bonus experience and arenas from the previous game. Add this to the fun that can be had by battling or buying from people you casually pass on the street, and you can still be playing this months after purchase.

Other changes from the series include different modes- casual and classic. Classic maintains what's always been important in the series, and that's the importance of each unit you field- in classic, if they fall, they're gone for good. However, the new casual mode allows you to keep units even after they fall, with the exception of certain highly important characters who will prompt a game over instead. This, in addition to the varying game difficulties and ability to save during battles makes the title far more accessible to the more casual audience- while maintaining modes that are incredibly difficult to defeat for even the most hardcore fan of the series.

Also introduced for the first time stateside is now combat-worthy Avatar unit. In the original GBA Fire Emblem you were able to create a character, but it was more a plot device and NPC than anything else. In Awakening, your character is customizable and treated like everyone else- able to fight, grow, converse and marry. It is also used as a representative for your streetpass team, and able to be recruited by those who can defeat you, meaning your character can exist far beyond your own game.

All these new additions plus an update to the overall graphic style, an absolutely stunning soundtrack (Four CDs worth!), brilliant writing, and a compelling story make for a fantastic game in its own right- and for Fire Emblem itself, it has seated itself as the jewel of the series. Prepare yourself!
  12. Sep 26, 2013
    I absolutely love this game. I have been playing it for some time now and everything charms me, the story, characters, combat system... It's a MUST buy for every 3DS owner!
  13. Nov 1, 2013
    With out a doubt, this is one of the best games I have ever played. Do yourself a favor and buy this game. There is absolutely nothing else to say here.
  14. Nov 23, 2013
    Fire Emblem Awakening is nothing short of superb. With such a large amount of missions and replay value, this game is one of the best in the series.

This game stands out from the other games by including a new pair up system, that really adds to the idea that your units should stick close together and that forming bonds between them is important. To reward you are some the best support conversations with some of the best writing for the series. You learn to cherish each unit despite their inherent flaws.

Most of the missions are comprised of either killing the leader or routing the opposition. Sometimes there are unique stipulations, but otherwise that's it. This is perhaps where this game is it's weakest as several previous mission has had a variety of missions that focus on defending your position or trying to escape. This makes everything a little bit one sided and the core of the game focused on building an all out offense. Only once is a serious defensive strategy utilized. In one instance, you must protect someone for roughly 10 turns. If you want to defend them, you cannot pair up because otherwise, the enemies will reach her and it's over. Other than that, the game sticks to the usual (that is unless you play lunatic).

The graphics and art style took awhile to get used to as I've grown up with a different style, and I was concerned about more steampunk type things making it's way into Fire Emblem, but that was not the case. Every character looks unique and accentuates their oddities. They do have strange looking feet in battle animation, but it eventually becomes quite endearing. The 3-D looks gorgeous when turned on and everything is much more fluid, unlike Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

As far as music is concerned, they spared no expense in making a solid soundtrack. Some of the music is particularly moving.

On the storyline note, this game was also excellent, although there were a few moments later in the game where I felt they were dragging things out too long. The game occasionally even gives you storyline options that really cause you to pause and reflect on your circumstances that furthers your emotional investment. It's too bad that these decisions are meaningless and do nothing at all...

The DLC is great and there's plenty of it. Multiplayer isn't much, but you can battle against some street pass teams and do a few other things, like recruit their avatar character.

Overall, this is one of the best Fire Emblem games available, but the constant attack to win missions and the pseudo-choices presented in the storyline are just somewhat disappointing. Otherwise, please go out and buy this. You'll be glad you did.
  15. Dec 22, 2014
    One of the best games I have ever played. GREAT characters,story,music,gameplay,visuals,graphics,dialogue and very addicting! If you like strategy jrpgs or just want an awesome game this is truly a masterpiece!
  16. Sep 24, 2014
    So, this is the first fire emblem game, but after owning it for about eight months, I have to say it is probably one of the top five games I've ever played, second only to Dark Souls. Yes, this game has its flaws, but they are not too important in my mind, so they do not detract from the score, and this game spoke to me on a level that not many games that I have played do. Some of you willSo, this is the first fire emblem game, but after owning it for about eight months, I have to say it is probably one of the top five games I've ever played, second only to Dark Souls. Yes, this game has its flaws, but they are not too important in my mind, so they do not detract from the score, and this game spoke to me on a level that not many games that I have played do. Some of you will say that the story is dry, that the characters are bland and the gameplay is repetitive, but every time I play the game it feels different. It never goes exactly the same as the first time, or the second, or the third. I've never played any other Fire Emblem game before, but I have already decided that I need to get as many as I can and play them all. Expand
  17. Mar 3, 2015
    I never thought i would get into fire emblem, I only knew it from smash bros; but my god is this game amazing. I played it for a bit and fell in love with its gameplay and story, the characters were very developed (my two favorite being Morgan and Lucina who i married) , the different classes were awesome and i even recruited Ike and Marth. Fire Emblem Awakening is my all time favoriteI never thought i would get into fire emblem, I only knew it from smash bros; but my god is this game amazing. I played it for a bit and fell in love with its gameplay and story, the characters were very developed (my two favorite being Morgan and Lucina who i married) , the different classes were awesome and i even recruited Ike and Marth. Fire Emblem Awakening is my all time favorite game and i give a 10/10. Expand
  18. Aug 5, 2015
    Easily my favourite 3DS game so far. The massive amount of playable characters are interesting and thoroughly engaging. The strategy that this game involves always keeps you on your toes and never gets dull. The story, while a little simple, is still fun to experience. All in all, a wonderful game that everyone should play.
  19. Sep 15, 2016
    Great strategy game with some beautiful 3D visuals and great characters. As a first time player the game feels like a chest game in that every move could be a great or a bad move in either scenario your at fault if you win or lose. Definitely recommend it to strategy or chest players. Overall. a 9.5 score.
  20. Feb 22, 2016
    I can't stress enough how much I love this game. Almost everything about it is amazing; it's storyline, it's gameplay, it's memorable features, but none so more than it's cast of characters. They are an easy to love group that I grew attached to very quickly. And it's even better when going through the various support conversations they can have. As Awakening was the first Fire EmblemI can't stress enough how much I love this game. Almost everything about it is amazing; it's storyline, it's gameplay, it's memorable features, but none so more than it's cast of characters. They are an easy to love group that I grew attached to very quickly. And it's even better when going through the various support conversations they can have. As Awakening was the first Fire Emblem games I've played, I can easily say it's friendly to first timers, with the returning casual mode. While it is true that for a first timer, many of the features did confuse me, such as weapon ranks and such, you learn quickly. And with that being said, the game's way of teaching these things is simple and effective, as it shows you various lessons on the bottom screen when the topic is first seen, thus allowing the player to proceed with the task on their own without the game stopping them to learn it. As for the storyline, it was amazing and full of twists and memorable moments. I can't deny that Fire Emblem Awakening is one of my favorite games for the Nintendo 3DS and I would highly recommend it to any first timers to the series who are interested in giving the series a shot. Expand
  21. Nov 24, 2016
    Easily the best in there series: the support mechanic is a ton of fun, the characters are as charming as ever. The story is hit or miss and the missions are pretty repetitive but the gameplay saves it all
  22. Mar 11, 2017
    Sacred Stones was my first Fire Emblem game while Radiant Dawn was my favorite one. I love Awakening for how it incorporated the two most notable features (traversable map and skills) in both these games and eventually culminated into one of the best games I have ever played in my 3DS. I recommend this to anyone who loves strategy games similar to Valkyria Chronicles, Age of Empires, XCOMSacred Stones was my first Fire Emblem game while Radiant Dawn was my favorite one. I love Awakening for how it incorporated the two most notable features (traversable map and skills) in both these games and eventually culminated into one of the best games I have ever played in my 3DS. I recommend this to anyone who loves strategy games similar to Valkyria Chronicles, Age of Empires, XCOM and the like. Expand
  23. Apr 27, 2017
    Rescatar una de las grandes franquisias de nintendo de la extinsion no es una tarea sencilla y este juego lo logro, ofrece una jugabilidad atractiva para todos aquellos que les interese este genero y contiene una inmensa cantidad de elementos que enriquesen la experiencia, tristemente cambia un poco la formula de la saga que nos encantaba a muchos fans, pero estoy contento de que estaRescatar una de las grandes franquisias de nintendo de la extinsion no es una tarea sencilla y este juego lo logro, ofrece una jugabilidad atractiva para todos aquellos que les interese este genero y contiene una inmensa cantidad de elementos que enriquesen la experiencia, tristemente cambia un poco la formula de la saga que nos encantaba a muchos fans, pero estoy contento de que esta entrega haya atraido a mas gente hacia la franquisia Expand
  24. Sep 29, 2017
    Much better than the GBA Fire Emblem games, the interface is nice and sleek, the gameplay is just as brutal as always and the graphics/sound are great. The story is good as well.
  25. Mar 20, 2018
    9.4/10, great music, replayable, great cast, etc. Any fan of strategy RPGs needs to get this.
  26. Apr 1, 2018
    This game is fantastic! It is my favorite title in the entire Fire Emblem series.
  27. Jun 4, 2020
    Uno de los mejores FE, y el juego que salvo la saga y la propulso a la fama actual. Sin embargo, no es el mejor de la saga y introduce algunas mecánicas que derivan en "contras" y no en "pros".
    La historia y las situaciones de batalla son interesantes, y continua la de algunos de los FE pasados, con algunos de los personajes más conocidos, y también presenta personajes interesantes. El juego es muy accesible (no es de los más difíciles) y una buena opción para los que no han jugado a ningún FE.
    Es el juego que introduce la mecánica de los hijos (y el único juego de la saga donde tiene sentido por motivos argumentales), y aunque es ciertamente un acierto en este juego, introduce personajes con un trasfondo mucho más débil, a pesar de ser aquellos con mayor potencial (los hijos). Esto gustara a muchos, pero personalmente es un menos para mí. Un sistema con menos opciones parentales y un mayor desarrollo de estos personajes a cambio hubiera sido una mejor opción (aunque en esto muchos disentirán).
  28. Feb 4, 2013
    Been a good game to me so far. I say this since I am normally terrible at grid based strategy games. Fire Emblem Awakening caters to my casual intensity with a mode just for the risk adverse personalities. My primary role in playing any game is for the sake of a story. Fire Emblem Awakening opens that up with a casual mode nobody dies and breaks your heart.

Add on top of that a class

Add on top of that a class switching system, a customized player character, a StreetPass system that adds a random battle element, and romance-able characters: amazing!

Class switching is a little difficult since it requires a level 10 character and the purchase of some rather expensive materials. But I am in the early parts of the game.

Also, it gets kind of hard to get two characters to hookup if there is a level discrepancy. Relationships are fostered in large part by supporting characters in battle. If one character is basically useless, they become an impediment and not worth the stray resource that could have been occupied by someone with some battle merit.

Overall, this game is pretty sweet and a welcomed experience.
  29. Feb 5, 2013
    if you don't like turn based strategy games (valkirya chronicles, ghost recon shadow wars) then read no further, this game isn't for you. other than that, there's not a single negative I can give this game. the turn based strategy system in this game is the best I've ever used. seriously. there is so much to this game it is ridiculous. there are an endless amount of ways to approach eachif you don't like turn based strategy games (valkirya chronicles, ghost recon shadow wars) then read no further, this game isn't for you. other than that, there's not a single negative I can give this game. the turn based strategy system in this game is the best I've ever used. seriously. there is so much to this game it is ridiculous. there are an endless amount of ways to approach each battle and decisions you make in battle will affect your characters and even the story in meaningful ways. if you have a tendency of pairing two ppl up in battle then you can also harness their relationship outside of battle through conversations. also, in classic mode (the way the game is meant to be played) character deaths are permanent and any story branches pertaining to that character and their actions will be gone. this is real decision making (spare me your conversational choose-your-own-adventure BS). the character building system is also very deep. you can level your characters, find dropped weapons for them to use, craft weapons to make them better, forge relationships and even switch their classes. I could go on for hours about this game's amazing depth but that's not what a review is supposed to be about. the last thing I would like to touch on is the graphics. the cut scenes are truly breathtaking and the 3D effects work beautifully. the actual in game graphics are the standard 3DS fare and are more than "good enough" to portray the action. the overall attention to detail and the varied environments make the game a pleasure to look at. the story and characters are all top notch and very engaging. in summary, if you are a turn based strategy fan then you should have bought this game yesterday. if you don't already own a 3DS/3DSXL then go buy the bundle NOW. Expand
  30. Jun 1, 2013
    Fire Emblem Awakening does everything right. Well everything that matters anyway. It is deep and stylish yet accessible and streamlined. All the characters are like-able and when one dies in battle it is genuinely heart wrenching in a way that X-Com Enemy Unknown wasn't.

The only criticism I have is that there are too many talking heads with dialogue boxes and not enough cut scenes with voice acting. You can skip the dialogue with one press of the start button when all the talking get's too boring and the load times are none existent but the cut scenes are of such a high standard it is a pity they weren't used more to tell the story.

In Summary FE Awakening is the best strategy RPG I have ever played and the best reason to own a 3DS.
  31. Feb 7, 2013
    Finally, the game everyone's been waiting for! Though most are still impatiently waiting (due to shipping issues), some have proceeded to download the digital copy and immediately thanked themselves, among other unspeakable things. This is definitely the much needed scratch for the strategist's itch. From the intuitive battle system, beautiful music scores and masterfully writtenFinally, the game everyone's been waiting for! Though most are still impatiently waiting (due to shipping issues), some have proceeded to download the digital copy and immediately thanked themselves, among other unspeakable things. This is definitely the much needed scratch for the strategist's itch. From the intuitive battle system, beautiful music scores and masterfully written dialogue, this game is easily another must have for anyone even slightly interested in the genre. The battles have never been more intense, as you've never felt more of a connection with the characters. Each characters flowing with personality. Some charming, some annoying, some lovable, and ALL capable of being turned into cannon fodder, should you let your guard down (or if you're conspiring). Top it all off with enthused, well spoken voice overs that never overstep their purpose and vivid cut scene videos that never fail to impress. All in all, this game is a MUST HAVE for anyone seeking to exercise wit and is even tailored to newcomers in the new Classic mode. I'm slightly bummed out at the limitations of online mode. Should a DLC for online battles be released, I'd change my score to a perfect 10. I highly recommend picking this one up, even if you're slightly interested. I know a couple of people who recently purchased the 3ds for this game alone, if that tells you anything. "9 out of 10" plasticEGO Expand
  32. Feb 4, 2013
    Easily the best game to date in the 3DS, a game that sets the tone for what's to come for the 3DS as the successor of the "king of rpgs" the DS... Go buy it now, you won't be disappointed.
  33. Feb 4, 2013
    The best Fire Emblem game to date. The graphics are top notch and the 3D is very well implemented. Voice acting is great, even the English dub. Gameplay is the best it's ever been with the addition of the new support and tag systems. Character interactions and support conversations are the best in the series and the revived marriage system is just delightful and adds lots of choice andThe best Fire Emblem game to date. The graphics are top notch and the 3D is very well implemented. Voice acting is great, even the English dub. Gameplay is the best it's ever been with the addition of the new support and tag systems. Character interactions and support conversations are the best in the series and the revived marriage system is just delightful and adds lots of choice and depth to gameplay. The best Fire Emblem and 3DS game yet. Great for either series veterans or newcomers, with it's various difficulty options and even various menu options to support player preference. Expand
  34. Feb 4, 2013
    Sem duvida não podemos negar que e um dos melhores games do 3DS...
    Não existe como negar!
    Tudo esta equilibrado, consegue ser difícil, mas mantem a os modos originais que consagraram a franquia.
    Sem duvidas esse game merece 10/10!
  35. Feb 5, 2013
    The Fire Emblem you enjoy and loved now only better with awesome improvements. The characters and the story are engaging and well though, the battle system are improved with the Marriage and a much better Support system. The localization was superb, VAs fits the dialogue well, and man do I need to mention the awesome graphics that comes with different art styles? The gorgeous pixel arts.The Fire Emblem you enjoy and loved now only better with awesome improvements. The characters and the story are engaging and well though, the battle system are improved with the Marriage and a much better Support system. The localization was superb, VAs fits the dialogue well, and man do I need to mention the awesome graphics that comes with different art styles? The gorgeous pixel arts. Story, gameplay and graphics. This game is solid. Expand
  36. Feb 14, 2013
    This is my very first review on a game and on metacritic. Fire Emblem: Awakening is a must-have game for 3DS owners everywhere. This game has lots of content built into it and the DLCs that are still coming just makes it even more worth it.
    The characters are awesome, they have very unique personalities, and it's very enjoyable making supports with every character which brings out their personalities and help the players understand them more, especially your avatar.
    The story is simply epic to behold. The story takes place thousands of years after Shadow Dragon, but rarely makes references to it so you can say it's a new game in its own right instead of calling it a sequel. I don't want to give off spoilers, but you can read other reviews and they mostly, if not all, say it's great.
    There are over 40 classes that exists in the game. You can reclass to many other classes to unlock new skills with your avatar, but some are limited in reclassing, but it shouldn't bother most people much.
    The gameplay keeps the traditional feel of past Fire Emblem games except for the newly added Dual System which helps characters pair up and fight against other enemies together for more advantages. So, in a way, it feels "new" from my standpoint because I still haven't fully grasped its full potential. There are many ways to use it that it'll blow your mind.
    This game is flowing with content and you'll keep playing it for a very long time.
    I know it seems like I didn't explain everything most of the time, but I'm not very good at reviews and I'm making this review for Fire Emblem: Awakening because of how much it impacted me to just let it all out and try and express how great the game is. Again, it's a really great game to have in your 3DS library and you'll have a great time with it like I have and many others.
  37. Feb 16, 2013
    This game is absolutely art. It has 2 key features that change a great Fire Emblem into a PERFECT fire emblem
    Re playable Maps and Option for non permanent death.
    Never before have I felt so emotionally invested in characters from a video game, Except maybe Kingdom Hearts.. The mechanics to this game where absolutely perfectly well done. I cannot WAIT to play all the loads of
    Re playable Maps and Option for non permanent death.

The mechanics to this game where absolutely perfectly well done.

I cannot WAIT to play all the loads of DLC yet to come!

The DLC is bringing back some of my favorite characters from old games. Karel, Hector, Marth, Ike, and many MANY more.

This is easily in the top 10, if not top 5 of my favorite games of all time.
  38. Mar 4, 2013
    This game is just amazing and probably the best portable game I've played in a while. If you thinking of getting a 3DS, get it. If your not getting a 3DS, well your just missing out. This game is perfect for people who are just starting out with it's casual mode or for the hardcore fans that have been there from the beginning. The game offers some new features like creating your ownThis game is just amazing and probably the best portable game I've played in a while. If you thinking of getting a 3DS, get it. If your not getting a 3DS, well your just missing out. This game is perfect for people who are just starting out with it's casual mode or for the hardcore fans that have been there from the beginning. The game offers some new features like creating your own character to the new and improved support system that let units marry(But don't be too creepy). The gameplay follows what has been done since the first one on the GBA, you start off with a small army and you lead them to kill bandits, zombies, etc. By the end of the game, you will have a god army. Now in this game, there is an open map and you can grind your way to the top with side quest and challenges just like Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones. Overall, I really don't know why you still haven't picked up this game. Oh yeah, DONELL IS THE BEST UNIT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  39. Mar 23, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, actually that is an understatement. This was the first time I played a Fire Emblem game and can't wait till the next installment, hopefully we get more Fire Emblem games out here in the west. My first play through I had no idea what I was doing, the second time I enjoyed the game even more.
  40. Feb 5, 2013
    A very good reason to buy a 3DS. The best way to bring newcomers into the franchise with an easy mode that is optional. It takes away the option of permadeath in the game and allows the gamer to proceed the story without worry of an important death in the squad. CGI cutscenes bring the entire story together into a cohesive blend of action gameplay and a great story to back it up. Free DayA very good reason to buy a 3DS. The best way to bring newcomers into the franchise with an easy mode that is optional. It takes away the option of permadeath in the game and allows the gamer to proceed the story without worry of an important death in the squad. CGI cutscenes bring the entire story together into a cohesive blend of action gameplay and a great story to back it up. Free Day 1 DLC brings a favorite character of the franchise with more DLC to come in the future. Totally worth the $40 and a new 3DS. Expand
  41. Feb 5, 2013
    This game is awesome. It has everything I expected from it and a little more. I've played other FE games but never finished them. I love the fact that there is DLC. Cause I hate when games go longer than they should have ruining he story.
    Well, it's time to keep playing.
  42. Feb 5, 2013
    great game.its fun,challenging,and very satisfying.story is engaging with chracters you care about,lots of customization,has good graphics and level design,controls are great,and music is one of the better soundtracks from a video game ive heard in awhile.a game that tests your brain rather than kill things mindlessly and that what i like about it the most. even after i finished the gamegreat game.its fun,challenging,and very satisfying.story is engaging with chracters you care about,lots of customization,has good graphics and level design,controls are great,and music is one of the better soundtracks from a video game ive heard in awhile.a game that tests your brain rather than kill things mindlessly and that what i like about it the most. even after i finished the game i still want to go back and play it, its that good. a game worth $40 and one of the best 3ds titles to date. Expand
  43. Aug 7, 2013
    I have always been a fan of the Fire Emblem series and I firmly believed that it is one of the best, if not the best turn based strategy series to date. I was not disappointed with this game at all. It includes a lot of the original strategy elements in the series: weapon triangle, classes with distinct characteristics, weapons. What was new was the support system, marriage+child systemI have always been a fan of the Fire Emblem series and I firmly believed that it is one of the best, if not the best turn based strategy series to date. I was not disappointed with this game at all. It includes a lot of the original strategy elements in the series: weapon triangle, classes with distinct characteristics, weapons. What was new was the support system, marriage+child system and addition of skills through class changes. All of these elements were implemented in a way that made the game have increased replayability and more depth/story development with the characters.

The addition of both classic and casual modes made the game appeal to not only hardcore fire emblem fanatics like myself, but also to someone who just enjoys playing through the story leisurely. There is also a lot of downloadable content to further extend the games replayability and uniqueness. The lunatic modes also offer a great challenge to Fire Emblem vets.

The only complaint I'd have with this game would be the fact that the story is a bit short and the difficulty doesn't scale properly, if you were to follow the story and not do any prologues. There were times where I had to level grind random enemies in order to move on with the story. The characters given to you through recruitment are also a bit underlevelled and become a bit underutilized unless you grind them before you play through the story. It'd make sense if they gave you recruits who are at least somewhat onpar to the enemy in terms of level there's a few characters I got at the end of the game where I hardly got a chance to experiment with before the game ended...stat leveling was also a bit luck based Vaike comes to mind where when I leveled I hardly got any stat points and sometimes I would get a lot this is less of a problem in Hard mode, but in Lunatic, it's just unfair.

Overall a great game, worthy to be called a Fire Emblem game and a great addition to the franchise!
  44. Jul 20, 2013
    Did you ever want a fire emblem game with endless amounts of battles and experience? Ever didn't like the pressure of losing your comrades in battle for good? How about being able to marry certain couples to each other and having a family? How about being able to recruit some units from past fire emblem games? Or wanting some extra bonus missions? Maybe you’ve wanted to play online versusDid you ever want a fire emblem game with endless amounts of battles and experience? Ever didn't like the pressure of losing your comrades in battle for good? How about being able to marry certain couples to each other and having a family? How about being able to recruit some units from past fire emblem games? Or wanting some extra bonus missions? Maybe you’ve wanted to play online versus some other human players? Yes? All that and more awaits in this remarkable Fire Emblem experience! So many characters to choose from each with a unique personality and charms as well as a variety of different classes to chose from. The story is quite long (got a good 15-20 hours’ worth) with a lot of twists that I wasn't expecting at all. For a handheld game it is absolutely mind blowing, the amount of detail, content and fan dedication that went into this just makes it outstanding. It has a ridiculous amount of replay-ability. One of my favorite things about this game is the relationships. You can unlock some interesting dialogues as well as getting certain characters married! And let’s just say marriage has very big benefits. I have easily put in 100hours into this game and I haven't been able to put it down. It is easily the best game I have played on the 3ds, as well as my new favorite game of the Fire Emblem series. If you’re a fan especially of Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn, you will love this game. If you’re looking for a new tactical strategy game to play, then I promise you this game is for you. I am also warning you, this game will be surprisingly addictive. Expand
  45. Mar 14, 2013
    I never played a single Fire Emblem game before and the last tactical RPG I played was Pokemon Conquest which I found AWFUL. Since Shin Megumi Tensei is planning a crossover with Fire Emblem, I decided to give the Fire Emblem franchise a try. Fire Emblem: Awakening satisfied my tactical RPG itch. I love how the gameplay kept my attention. I felt I was being rewarded for any efforts I madeI never played a single Fire Emblem game before and the last tactical RPG I played was Pokemon Conquest which I found AWFUL. Since Shin Megumi Tensei is planning a crossover with Fire Emblem, I decided to give the Fire Emblem franchise a try. Fire Emblem: Awakening satisfied my tactical RPG itch. I love how the gameplay kept my attention. I felt I was being rewarded for any efforts I made on level-grinding, weapon upgrading, and actually stopping to THINK before heading into battle. Almost all the battles didn't seem outright unfair and you can win them all if you're prepared. Any losses that occurred I can blame only myself rather than the game. The DLC and bonus contents are worthwhile and gives ample opportunities to hone your skills. Especially since you can recruit characters from past games to fight alongside you. (Having Sigrun in my ranks saved me SO many times!!)

The art style is beautiful and this is so far the only game I want to play in 3D the whole time. I wish however more attention was given to the hair on some of the 3D models. I personally don't think hair going thru clothes and people is acceptable anymore considering the budget this game must have had.

I can't give it 10 for two somewhat petty reasons: the story and the use of voice actors.

The main story while a 1000% better than Pokemon Conquest which had nothing...the story in Awakening is kinda generic and predictable. Typical RPG plot points with no real surprises to speak of. They make up for a little bit with the relationship conversations where a character's motives and backgrounds are fleshed out and with that, the story writers have the ability to inject a lot more humor. However at the end of the day...the main story is still weak and lackluster. Not awful but not great.

As for the second reason, the voice actors for the game are very good but their talents are wasted on cliche grunts and catchphrases. It's understandable during combat since you can it turn off...but why? Why are they making those noises in the cut scenes and conversations as well instead having the voice actor speaking what is on the text bubble? Don't tell me there is no room on the game for that. If Shin Megumi Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked can add voice acting to every line in their game, so can Fire Emblem.

Overall, this is still a must have in your 3DS library. The gameplay mechanics alone is enough of a reason to play this game. BUY IT!!
  46. Apr 23, 2013
    Best game on 3DS.All it needs would be online play and for it to be released sooner in Europe.10/10 I got 30hours of gameplay from it in 4 days.Probably the best made fire emblem aswell.
  47. Jun 10, 2013
    The fun gameplay and the amazing 3D graphics all blend together to make something amazing. One of my favorite games in the series, Fire emblem awakening is an amazing game.
  48. Feb 23, 2013
    I've been a long time user of metacritic, yet never had the desire to create an account. Having said that alone is a sure indication of how brilliant I feel this game is. I also haven't owned a nintendo product since SNES, but I already feel this system is gonna pay for itself with this game alone. This game is putt my fanboyism to rest, and is a much needed from the shovelware circusI've been a long time user of metacritic, yet never had the desire to create an account. Having said that alone is a sure indication of how brilliant I feel this game is. I also haven't owned a nintendo product since SNES, but I already feel this system is gonna pay for itself with this game alone. This game is putt my fanboyism to rest, and is a much needed from the shovelware circus that is modern gaming. Why are you still reading? See for yourself. Expand
  49. May 6, 2013
    Fire Emblem: Awakening is one of the best reasons to own a 3DS at the moment, There is a surprising amount of depth here for a handheld game and this is easily one of the best experiences you can find on the Nintendo 3DS at the moment. The story is interesting with some nice twists and the game also has some of the most interesting and fun characters to interact with in a long time, theFire Emblem: Awakening is one of the best reasons to own a 3DS at the moment, There is a surprising amount of depth here for a handheld game and this is easily one of the best experiences you can find on the Nintendo 3DS at the moment. The story is interesting with some nice twists and the game also has some of the most interesting and fun characters to interact with in a long time, the game will last a solid 20-25 hours on a basic runthrough of the story alone but if you add in the fact that there is loads of side content, character development to explore and tons of ongoing DLC support for the game you can easily double, if not triple that gametime.

The gameplay is a turn based strategy RPG where you move your characters on a battlefield from a top-down perspective and defeat your enemies by positioning your characters in ways to get the advantage over enemies, for one example if you position two characters next to each other they will support each other in battle with provides bonuses to stuff like defense, attack and other things and also improves those two characters relationships that can lead to fleshing out those characters more.

There is two modes for playing this game... Classic mode makes it so that if a character dies on the battlefield they will die permanently and you will lose them unless you reload a save, This makes the game very challenging but it also adds to the tension of the experience since every move counts. There is also the Casual mode which turns off perma-death so characters that die will come back at the end of that particular battle, Whether you play Classic or Casual you will find an enjoyable experience, Just make sure you pick the right one for you when you start the game. There is also 3 different difficulties to the game which you can choose from. With all these varying difficulties that will add up the possible amount of time you can play this for as well.

The graphics were quite nice for 3DS but I didn't feel they were amazing personally, but nonetheless they are not bad. The CG Cutscenes for this game are absolutely gorgeous however.

You get to create your own character to use in the game which I think is a first for Fire Emblem if I remember correctly. the character creation options have a fair bit of depth so you can feel like you have a lot of choice on how your character is designed.

There is a very deep leveling up system in the game where you can change upgrade classes and also switch classes of characters which can lead to interesting and powerful characters. There is also some other features in the game that add to the depth like Marriage among other things.

There is a great amount of downloadable content support for this game so far which is nice to see on 3DS.

Overall Fire Emblem Awakening is one of the best games you can find on the Nintendo 3DS, It's definitely got the most depth of any 3DS game on the market so far. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has a 3DS or is looking for a game to make them jump into the 3DS.
  50. Apr 16, 2013
    Best game on 3ds so far by far, fire emblem features a better version of the series trademark turn based squad strategy combat. In this game you can pair up charters in battle for greater attacks and have them develop relationships and even get married. The story in this game is great and the anime cutscenes are animated very well, helping to flesh the story out. the graphics are not toBest game on 3ds so far by far, fire emblem features a better version of the series trademark turn based squad strategy combat. In this game you can pair up charters in battle for greater attacks and have them develop relationships and even get married. The story in this game is great and the anime cutscenes are animated very well, helping to flesh the story out. the graphics are not to flashy but what you would expect for a 3ds strategy game, but the battle sequences are AMAZING. bottom line BUY THIS GAME Expand
  51. Jun 22, 2013
    I don't often give 10/10 for games yet this one really does deserve it.
    I don't often give 10/10 for games yet this one really does deserve it.
    I'm a fan of Pokemon and other 'standard' RPGs but like some people get bored with the 'grind'. This just doesn't feel like grind at all. Strong story, character development and genuine team/character customisation makes this very addictive. DLC means that there is new content (some free) every Thursday and many maps to keep people happy...

I'm on my second playthrough and have put around 50 hours into this game in total. The replay value is excellent and the difficulty curve is manageable.

This game is by far the best Fire Emblem I've played and BY FAR the best 3DS game released so far. Move over Mario, your time is up!
  52. May 21, 2013
    Brilliant game. The graphics are awesome for a handheld console and the Japanese art styles for the different characters are beautiful to look at. Gameplay is amazing and I don't think I have ever played such a great SRPG, the storyline is extremely interesting and you'll be talking to everyone who has it about your different character marriages and relationships. The DLC is paid yes, butBrilliant game. The graphics are awesome for a handheld console and the Japanese art styles for the different characters are beautiful to look at. Gameplay is amazing and I don't think I have ever played such a great SRPG, the storyline is extremely interesting and you'll be talking to everyone who has it about your different character marriages and relationships. The DLC is paid yes, but really entertaining and the support conversations in the game can be hilarious. One of my favourite games ever and definitely 100% deserves this year's GOTY award. Expand
  53. Jun 4, 2013
    I began playing Fire Emblem with the GBA titles, and this title has lived up to its previous titles. A great game, which will make you want to play it over and over again. There is just so much to do that a simple playthrough won't be enough for you to experience what this title has to offer.
  54. Jun 29, 2013
    Fire Emblem Awakening, a great game i have been wanting for a while. And 19th of April, or February 4th, if you live in the United States, it finally arrived. It exceeded my expectations. And my expectations were that it would be one of my favorite games ever.

Fire Emblem Awakening`s gameplay is only one of the things that make it such a gem, but it is splendid. The main focus of Fire Emblem Awakening`s gameplay is turmbased strategy. In the game, you pick characters which you want to use in battles first, and then you start the fight. The game`s fighting cutscenes are beautiful. They truly show what the 3DS is made of. They way that the fighting works is this; you move a character to a opponent`s spot so you can attack it. In battle, you`ll have 3 numbers on your bottom screen. Atk is how much damage you will deal to an enemy. Hit is your (sort of) accuracy. The higher the better. Crit is your crit chance. This is also, the higher, the better.

General things are one of the better aspects of the game in comparison with other Fire Emblem games. One of those is character customisation. The ability to totally make your own character from scratch even with a by yourself chosen voice is really fun, although they could have made that a little bit better.

Straying off of the character customisation, let's take a look at the CG cutscense of this game. These are rendered fully in 3D, with a Anime-like style. It's insanely awesome. The voice acting that comes with it enhances it, too. Which leads us to the characters. Man, what are those memorable. You have Chrom, the noble leader of the Shepherds, a force trying to help the county of Ylisse, and hte Shepherds themselves. Every character has different dialogues and backstory, which adds for an amzing game.

Also, carried over from the first 12 games, you have the fact that if a character gets defeated, they`ll be gone FOREVER. This is one of the things that makes the franchise great for me. But in this one, you have two options. Classic Mode, is what i just explained to you, but Casual Mode, makes your allies only defeated, and not dead. This makes the game WAY easier to pick up for casual players. You also have difficulties in this game, which makes it even easier to pick up, but also a challenge for veterans. For myself, i don`t see the fun in casual, or the lowerst difficulty. But all these things make Fire Emblem Awakening the amazing game that it is.

Okay, i feel like a broken recordplayer, but this is one of the things that makes this game great. You start in a mission which seems random; you just control the character you made, and Chrom. You beat up one bad guy, and than the mission is over. You think. The bad guy fires a ball thing at Chrom, and you push him aside, sacrificing yourself. Chrom survives, but YOU become evil and kill Chrom.

DONE, GAME IS OVER, CHROM DIED, LET`S PLAY FIRE EMBLEM 6! :D

No, but seriously, you kill him. However, you black out and wake up in a field, Chrom and Lissa watching your awakening (did you see what i did there). You can`t remember your own name, and you know you`ve met Chrom before. But well, you don`t know for sure, so you can`t really say anything to him. You become good friends with Chrom, become one of the Shepherds, but you always have that feeling something bad might happen to Chrom...

Amazing gameplay, amazing cutscenes, and amazing characters. Add a beautiful score on top that, and Fire Emblem Awakening is born. Fire Emblem Awakening is a gem, a reason to buy a 3DS, AND one of my favorite games of all time. Nice job, Intelligent Systems. Nice freaking job. The only reason why it`s not a 10 is because nothing is perfect. Except for Wind Waker. And other Zelda games. I`ll just shut up now.
  55. Jul 17, 2013
    I've given this a 10 because it's so much fun, in terms of design and execution it's probably a 9. In all seriousness though the 3DS stellar library has another amazing game. I'm a big fan of SRPGs so this was right up my street, it may not convert many people but if you like this sort of thing it's a must buy!
  56. Dec 23, 2013
    Literally the best game I have ever played. My favorite game of all time. If you like strategy RPG games you are in for a serious treat. Great Graphics, Great combat, Great character build-up, and Great Plotline! That is all I can really say.
  57. Feb 7, 2013
    Truly remarkable game and one of the best games period on the 3DS, this game is the first salvo that the 3DS is launching at the Vita this year, an attack the Vita might not survive in the US. First, it's easily one of the best SRPG's out there. Compounded by the fact that the graphics are absolutely stunning, with the cutscenes easily being the best system is offering right now. TheTruly remarkable game and one of the best games period on the 3DS, this game is the first salvo that the 3DS is launching at the Vita this year, an attack the Vita might not survive in the US. First, it's easily one of the best SRPG's out there. Compounded by the fact that the graphics are absolutely stunning, with the cutscenes easily being the best system is offering right now. The complexity and the strategy needed to keep all your units alive every fight, as once they die they are gone for good, gives the game an added depth. It helps that each unit has it's own personality that makes you care for each of them individually, to the point where having even one of them die in battle is more than enough of a reason to reset it. If you do that you will be resetting pretty often as just one wrong move can put your flyer near an archer and you're done for. Still, it adds much depth to a game that already has a ton of depth to it. This game is easily one of the best on the system and it's going to stay that way for a long time. Every 3DS owner needs to pick this up as it will add a ton of game time to your 3DS, especially if the system has grown kinda stale on you over these past few months. Expand
  58. Mar 4, 2013
    Its like chess but with tiny people. Lol no im just kidding in all honesty if you dont know what fire emblem is its like final fantasy tactics but a million times more in depth. Great game. It's all fun and games until one of your heroes gets perma-killed. 10/10 would bang.
  59. Feb 11, 2013
    I was once told "brilliance comes in small packages", and after playing Fire Emblem: Awakening, those words couldn't be any more true. With superb game play, stunning graphics and a brilliantly written story with top notch voice acting, FF:A is the definitive RPG for 3DS, with tons of replay value, a steady stream of DLC and multiple difficulties this game is sure to keep players tuned forI was once told "brilliance comes in small packages", and after playing Fire Emblem: Awakening, those words couldn't be any more true. With superb game play, stunning graphics and a brilliantly written story with top notch voice acting, FF:A is the definitive RPG for 3DS, with tons of replay value, a steady stream of DLC and multiple difficulties this game is sure to keep players tuned for hours to come. Expand
  60. Apr 30, 2013
    First off: This is a masterpiece. The best game in the series. Not by far, but it is, and that is saying much considering the quality of it.
    Why is it a masterpiece? Take really solid gameplay and mix it up a bit. Take characters that are, while sometimes a bit silly, really well written, funny and interesting. Take simple, but beautiful graphics (that look even better in 3D). Then combine all this. You got yourself a great game, a fantastic game, a game worth buying the console that it is an exclusive for. Fire Emblem: Awakening has not got the best story in the series, but it is compelling enough to keep you playing, especially combined with the above aspects. There is tons of content, hours of gameplay. The SpotPass stuff will keep you playing for months, the ability to train your units endlessly and finding all the right skills to form a bad ass army will hook you for hours upon hours, unlocking the tons of support conversations to learn more about the excellent characters and their backstories will make you wanting to play this game non-stop. I warn you right now: Don't buy this game if you don't have enough time: You will not be able to leave this game alone for some days at least. You get so much bang for your buck that it isn't even fair.
    And all this is not even counting the DLC, that, while being a bit expensive, is especially cool for long time fans or experts of the series, as it offers tons of fan service via chapters where you fight against/alongside Fire Emblem characters from past games, recruit some of them, get special dialogue between old and new characters and so on. It may not be the excellent deal the game itself is, but, too me, it is well worth its price. Good news: If you don't want to buy it, you won't loose any of the experience. The game is excellent all by itself.
    Do I recommend this game? Yes. Of course. What a silly question. This may very well be the best SRPG of all time, and it is the best title in the 3DS library to date. If you own a 3DS, you'll need this game. And even if you don't own one, I highly recommend getting it alongside this gem. Truly a game for the ages.
  61. Feb 15, 2013
    A game that, again, makes me glad I bought a 3DS. The visuals are nothing to laugh at and can even compare to Wii standards. The gameplay has been improved greatly since the last installment to the franchise, allowing units to team-up in order to increase stats, void any damge or even grant extra attacks, and with the new Support mechanism, it won't only make sense for anyone to NOT doA game that, again, makes me glad I bought a 3DS. The visuals are nothing to laugh at and can even compare to Wii standards. The gameplay has been improved greatly since the last installment to the franchise, allowing units to team-up in order to increase stats, void any damge or even grant extra attacks, and with the new Support mechanism, it won't only make sense for anyone to NOT do this. The story is easy to follow, although has its compex parts to it. What makes the characters in this game stand out from any other is how there are so many and yet they all managed to have a personality, some awesome ones at that. Fire Emblem Awakening is like the crowning gem of all the games on the 3DS and the inspiration for all the following games to come. Intelligent Systems and Nintendo made a fantastic game for a system that needed some. Expand
  62. Mar 20, 2013
    "FIRE EMBLEM AWAKENING is the best FIRE EMBLEM I’ve ever played. It’s the fully realized potential of the series & stands as the best Nintendo 3Ds game right now.

The story is fantastic as the game takes place over multiple global wars spanning years while injecting surprisingly effective science fiction into the mix. The characters are distinct, unique & memorable as you’ll grow attached to these people & fight to ensure that they never fall in battle.

Add in multiple difficulty modes, DLC maps, limitless variations to class customization, marriages effecting future units & the award systems, yeah. FIRE EMBLEM AWAKENING is undoubtedly the best game so far of this year.

If you own a 3DS, were thinking of getting one or want the next best SRPG, look no further than this. This is, pun intended, the awakening the series has been longing for."

Read my full review: http://tmblr.co/ZOA6Eye8ICFp
  63. Jun 23, 2013
    Fire Emblem: Awakening is a wonderful game. It combines a perfect level of difficulty (no matter the difficulty level you set) with a fascinating storyline that can really draw you into an immersive world. I can only hope that this becomes the standard for any future Fire Emblem games.
  64. Sep 27, 2013
    As a newcomer to the series, I didn't know what to expect from this latest title. I was pleasantly surprised by the game's depth and replayability. The characters are lovable and the battle mechanics fun. I would recommend this to anyone with a 3DS system.
  65. Feb 11, 2013
    Amazingly addictive in every way!!! Nintendo has somehow crammed enough content to fit 2 console games or 300 iphone app games!!! This game has easily reached first place as a must buy for any 3ds owner or hardcore player.
  66. Mar 8, 2013
    Fire Emblem. 3DS. Awesome. Want more words? Get it. Makes excellent use of 3D, engaging story and characters, tried-and-true Fire Emblem strategy RPG gameplay.
  67. Apr 28, 2013
    If you're a fan of the series, want to get into them or just like an awesome game; it is IMPERMEABLE, the fact, that you should play this wonder of technology. Almost everything about it is pure perfection. Easily the best Fire Emblem game ever released and apart from OOT (which will always best BGE), the best game for the 3DS up until now (April 2013). The only "complains" someone MIGHTIf you're a fan of the series, want to get into them or just like an awesome game; it is IMPERMEABLE, the fact, that you should play this wonder of technology. Almost everything about it is pure perfection. Easily the best Fire Emblem game ever released and apart from OOT (which will always best BGE), the best game for the 3DS up until now (April 2013). The only "complains" someone MIGHT have is some random dialogues (for example I just encountered one about "muscle memory" didn't know muscles had a brain, though they should create a game like that) and the fact that there are limited choices for the creation of a more personal avatar (meaning you may want to create an avatar that looks like a relative, a friend or even a celebrity as I did if you can't achieve creating someone that's like you) Other than those, selective, blemishes this is the absolute SRPG. If you have a 3DS, BUY IT NOW. Expand
  68. Mar 14, 2013
    Over the period I have owned a 3DS, I have purchased games of varying types. Small disappointments aside (*ahem* Kindgom Hearts *ahem*), I had always been hard pressed to pick a favorite. I had my fill of nostalgia with the Ocarina of Time remake, had loads of fun with both Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros. 2, got extremely invested in (and touched by) Professor Layton and theOver the period I have owned a 3DS, I have purchased games of varying types. Small disappointments aside (*ahem* Kindgom Hearts *ahem*), I had always been hard pressed to pick a favorite. I had my fill of nostalgia with the Ocarina of Time remake, had loads of fun with both Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros. 2, got extremely invested in (and touched by) Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask. It seems, however, Fire Emblem: Awakening has come out the gates swinging to grab that title and just not let it go. No game in the platform is as addictive, as flawless in its presentation, as outright fun to delve into. It says something that I, having always liked my RPGs to NOT be grind-heavy, keep purposefully grinding and grinding this game just to have it last longer. This is an instant classic, and (so far, at least) the absolute best bang for your buck in the 3DS platform. Expand
  69. May 4, 2013
    One of my favorite things about Fire Emblem: Awakening, is that it adds several new features that make the game even better, without changing the feel of the game. The thing with these changes is, if you wanted to, you could completely ignore them and not use the new features at all, and it would still be a great game.

It is also great to see some DLC, although this can also be

It is also great to see some DLC, although this can also be completely ignored with NO consequences, it just acts as a bit of an optional aftergame.
  70. Dec 23, 2013
    This is currently my favourite game on the 3ds and it's one of my favourite games of 2013. The storyline isn't super original and I saw a lot of the twists coming but what really makes the story shine is the well written cast of characters and the conversations that most of them can have between each other. In Awakening you have the option to make the game a lot easier than all the otherThis is currently my favourite game on the 3ds and it's one of my favourite games of 2013. The storyline isn't super original and I saw a lot of the twists coming but what really makes the story shine is the well written cast of characters and the conversations that most of them can have between each other. In Awakening you have the option to make the game a lot easier than all the other FE games but i always felt the other games where way too hard for a strategy game noob like me, so I'm glad you have the option to make it easier. There's a ton of levels, lots of characters,multiplayer, street pass battles, lots of extra content and you can even buy DLC so this game will definitely keep you occupied for a long time. Expand
  71. Apr 15, 2013
    The 3DS has announced an impressive line up of games this coming year with Fire Emblem Awakening leading the charge. The successful pairing of accessibility and challenge makes Awakening the first of many upcoming games to make 3DS owners proud.
    The most obvious upgrade is in the presentation. From cute 2d sprites to stylized in-game models, to cinematic CGI cutscenes, this game is beautiful. Expect to be turning your 3D on more than usual to see this game in all it's glory. Awakening is one of the best looking games on the 3DS and will be considered such for years to come.
    Gameplay changes are a bit more subtle, but these enhancements are the reason players will log hundreds of hours into the game. The main theme is the connection between units which is found in all aspects of the game. Adjacent units will give extra stat boosts, extra attacks, and even negate damage to the active unit. The traditional "rescue" command is replaced with the similar "pair up" option between units. This not only applies the functionality of "rescue" but turns the two units into one super-unit by combining stats. This mechanic allows for so many strategic options and fun combinations to try depending on the situation. The support mechanic from previous games is still intact and is expanded to the point that your units can get married and have children. Earning support points is fun not only because of the unit augmentation in battle, but the plethora of support conversations are all enjoyable. Players will likely go through the game multiple times to see them all.
    Awakening's story is actually very engaging since players must create their own character and forge their own bonds. The main story line is only slightly over 2 dozen chapters but the side-quests, DLC, co-op battles, random challenges, class changing, and difficulty levels add more than enough to the game's re-playability.
    Fans might be disappointed that player versus player competition has been ousted, there are still redeemable multi-player options in Awakening. By using Streetpass, players can battle an AI controlled version of someone's team. There is also a co-op mode with it's own separate set of missions where players can pair up and take turns as a super-unit.
    There are many accessibility options for newcomers, such as casual mode, but do not confuse accessible with easy. Awakening is still tough to beat, especially at higher difficulty levels. This game can be played hardcore or not depending on the preferred experience an there is fun to be had on both sides.
    3DS owners, Fire Emblem Awakening is a must-buy. You have waited long enough for a game like this. You deserve it.
  72. Sep 2, 2014
    After the Fire Emblem character reveals for Super Smash Bros. for WiiU and 3DS, I really wanted to try out Awakening to see what it was all about. To conclude, I found my favourite game I have ever played.

Fire Emblem : Awakening is a turn-based strategy game, similar format to Pokemon, but much more strategic. While I played the game on Newcomer/Casual mode where units are revived when they die, Fire Emblem also allows for Classic Mode, where units die permenately when they are killed in battle. The battles in this game are amazing with their giant battlefield and sheer amount enemies that sometimes out-number your fore by two. But this is what makes the game fun - facing off against something so huge that it almost seems real. Of course that is not the only reason that makes the game fun.

My personal favourite part of the game was the characters : each one is different. From the careful and thoughtful Avatar character Robin, the careless, clumsy Sumia and my personal favourite, badass Lonq'u. And all of the different characters classes as well makes the game that much more in depth... with the opportunity to change a character's class completely OR to master-class them and make them even more powerful.

All the different characters brings me to my next point : the sheer amount of content, particularly the 'Support' section. Characters that work together in battle can build up Support conversations, which give us EVEN more personality to the characters. Through these conversations, male and female units can 'marry' which, when they work together in battle, basically makes them an unstoppable killing machine. Aside from 'Support', you have the option to recruit characters from previous Fire Emblem games, such as Marth or Ike, and battle through StreetPass and recruit EVEN more characters for your army.

The one gripe about this game I have is that in order to win battles, you have to grind... like HAVE to. In particular, side-stories that come along after Chapter 13. You could be let's say Level 15 base class ,after grinding for like at least 2 hours, at this rate but EVERY enemy is AT least Level 5 Master Class. That basically stops you from progressing with extra content if you do not grind your levels.

Also, did I mention this game looks excellent with 3, yes 3, different models for each character. And the environments also look great.

And finally, the story is absolutely fantastic. Most Nintendo games I have played have alright story but the storyline in this game is great and gave me another one of my favourtie characters in Lucina. The game also has you make quick decisions that could impact a lot which is great (although the choice you make does not matter in the long run)

Enthralling game-play, brilliant characters, beautiful graphic, a fantastic storyline and a multitude of features - what more could you want?
  73. Mar 12, 2013
    Where do I even start? For a Tactical RPG this game has it all. There is clearly a huge budget at work here, providing a gorgeous portable game with a great deal of depth. I don't want to get into too much detail but I just wanted to say that this is the best Portable Tactical RPG I've played since Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. There is so much to see and do, and there's new levels andWhere do I even start? For a Tactical RPG this game has it all. There is clearly a huge budget at work here, providing a gorgeous portable game with a great deal of depth. I don't want to get into too much detail but I just wanted to say that this is the best Portable Tactical RPG I've played since Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. There is so much to see and do, and there's new levels and challenges being added by Nintendo thru DLC. If you want a new game for your 3DS, get this one. Why won't Sully love me? Expand
  74. Mar 5, 2013
    Best FE in the series? Probably yes! Loved this game from start to finish. Side quest, children system, bonus arena map/ wifi bonus team/ DLC (free and paid), what not to love!!

Highly recommended to any SLG fans!
  75. Jun 21, 2013
    An almost flawless strategy game. The updated visuals are simply gorgeous, but I can't help but feel the character sprites could have been made to be more like the Wii and Gamecube Fire Emblems.
  76. Dec 29, 2013
    This is probably one of the best handheld games I have ever played, I have logged over 60 hours into the game. The game features impressive use of the 3d technology for the maps as well as fighting cut scenes.

The story is good but predictable. I wasn't as predictable in the beginning, but as I neared the end everything fell into place. The relationship/support system adds a lot of

The relationship/support system adds a lot of play time to the game, players will want to see all of the support conversations between all of the characters.

The only thing that i disliked about the game was the fact you couldn't verse other players or do the double battles over the internet, you had to be in range of the other player.
  77. Apr 27, 2016
    Game: Fire Emblem Awakening
    Genre: Strategy RPG
    Developer: Nintendo System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS) Total Score: 94/100 Value Score: 9.4/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 9/10 • Music: 8/10 • Length: 9/10 • Replay Value: 9/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Great story and character interactions +Ability to have your own
    Game: Fire Emblem Awakening
    Genre: Strategy RPG
    Developer: Nintendo
    System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS)
    Total Score: 94/100

• Music: 8/10
    • Length: 9/10
    • Replay Value: 9/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Great story and character interactions
    +Ability to have your own customized character
    +Choice of casual mode for beginners of the series and hardcore mode for veteran players
    +New Game+ and there are two different endings
    +A lot of side quests which feature additional characters
    +Marriage and Children system newly introduced to the series gives more length to the overall game
    +A lot of downloadable content both free and non-free
    +Features characters, cameos, etc from previous Fire Emblem games

Cons
    -Some characters are limited to few choices in marriage compared to others
    -A lot of the DLC content is expensive especially for the content which is offered in some of the packs
  78. Jul 31, 2013
    Absolutley brilliant game. Tops my 3DS games chart with nearly 80 hours racked up on before finally beating the story mode. The story is pretty good, as are the graphics, but it's the gameplay that really makes this game so good. Incredibly addictive, and tonnes of replayability. Haven't played a Fire Emblem game before, but after this I certainly want more. Easily the best handheldAbsolutley brilliant game. Tops my 3DS games chart with nearly 80 hours racked up on before finally beating the story mode. The story is pretty good, as are the graphics, but it's the gameplay that really makes this game so good. Incredibly addictive, and tonnes of replayability. Haven't played a Fire Emblem game before, but after this I certainly want more. Easily the best handheld game on the 3DS, and probably the best handheld game ever made. And Fredrick, Cheers Bro. Expand
  79. Feb 27, 2013
    I'm a longtime fan and it's great to see FE evolve yet retain its essence. Intelligent Systems has managed to perfect the classic FE formula while adding new elements as well. They have listened to the fans and provided more character depth and support conversations. The game is more friendly for casual players than ever with the new casual mode and the normal/easy mode. However,I'm a longtime fan and it's great to see FE evolve yet retain its essence. Intelligent Systems has managed to perfect the classic FE formula while adding new elements as well. They have listened to the fans and provided more character depth and support conversations. The game is more friendly for casual players than ever with the new casual mode and the normal/easy mode. However, Awakening's lunatic mode is a tremendous challenge, even for FE veterans like me. The music is lush, the gameplay is sublime, the presentation is the best on 3ds, honestly I can't find any fault in this game except that it's so addictive you'll be sucked into it and use up all your free game time! If you have a 3ds, don't do yourself the disservice of not playing this game. Expand
  80. Mar 25, 2013
    This game is amazing. The graphics are amazing, which is difficult since it has 3 different art styles. it has these 3D models that you see walk around and in battle animations, it has beautiful 3D anime cut scenes, it has 2D anime characters for dialog, and it has sprites that battle on a 3D open word. This game is hard, but the different settings allow for new comers to play with ease.This game is amazing. The graphics are amazing, which is difficult since it has 3 different art styles. it has these 3D models that you see walk around and in battle animations, it has beautiful 3D anime cut scenes, it has 2D anime characters for dialog, and it has sprites that battle on a 3D open word. This game is hard, but the different settings allow for new comers to play with ease. The characterization is amazing and you feel a connection to almost all of them, and if one of them dies you will be devastated. The gameplay is fun since it is an evolved form of Rock, Paper Scissors. My only gripe is that i wish you could turn perma-death on or off at will and have saving mid battle be turned on or off at will. This game gets a 9.8/10 Expand
  81. Apr 20, 2013
    This game is a must buy, This was the reason i bought a 3ds. Bravo for bringing this to the US. This game has awesome replay value. The DLC makes the already high replay value through the roof. I have 90+ plus across 2 save files.

Pros: High Replay Value Highest Difficulties give a real challenge. Lots of customization You can re-roll any playable character in the game. Cons: 3,

Pros:
    High Replay Value
    Highest Difficulties give a real challenge.
    Lots of customization
    You can re-roll any playable character in the game.

Cons:
    3, possibly 5 save slots if you use casual mode saves.
    Certain skills make the game super easy, but later balanced to the harder difficultly
  82. Feb 18, 2013
    Great visuals, large amount of great quality content and lovable characters in a fantastic story. Excellent RPG system in how you can manage a character's growth into a variety of classes while retaining bonuses. This game is both perfect for newcomers and fans of the franchise.
  83. Jan 5, 2016
    This is my first Fire Emblem game and I think it's probably one of the finest strategy RPGs in existence.

The essence of the game lies in the challenge and the importance of strategy. Lunatic(+)/Classic settings might be a bit overkill and is geared towards hardcore FE players, but Hard mode provided a casual like me the challenge I needed. I spent more time thinking about how to keep my units alive and win the battle than "how to reap most rewards and make my guys OP" like in Disgaea

It doesn't have nearly as good of a plot as FFT, its main characters aren't as colorful and charming as Disgaea, but it doesn't really fail on those fronts either. While the story is only serviceable, its hundreds of optional character interactions has a lot to offer. The localization was great.

For newcomers that likes the strategy genre, I recommend putting it on Hard/Casual. Classic is kind of pointless for perfectionist/completionists as most people restart the battle once they permanently lose a character. Casual saves you a lot of time and frustration in that aspect.
  84. Apr 3, 2013
    I was never really into the Fire Emblem games before now, but this game really changed that, this game is amazing. its got a great story, lovable charters, great maps and challenges,and all sorts of things, 1 of the things i liked really enjoyed about this game was the support ability, the ability to see how your units really get along,(along with marriage if you really try) this also atI was never really into the Fire Emblem games before now, but this game really changed that, this game is amazing. its got a great story, lovable charters, great maps and challenges,and all sorts of things, 1 of the things i liked really enjoyed about this game was the support ability, the ability to see how your units really get along,(along with marriage if you really try) this also at times provides moments of humor (such as your avatar trying to teach Frederic how to stomach down bear, its more funny than it sounds). However, the thing i liked the most in this game is the ability to use casual mode. which makes it so you don't permanently loose your team when they go down. its also a lot less depressing and makes the game a lot more enjoyable. 1 more feature in this game is the ability to get characters from older Fire emblem games. (like Ike and such) from the bonus box, sure they don't talk or are involved in the story, but its still nice to see familiar face. in short, i would strongly recommend this game to players of rts games, fire emblem fans, and all other gamers alike, it is very enjoyable Expand
  85. Jun 22, 2013
    Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3ds certainly lives up to all the hype. Graphics, Sound, Character development, story line, weapons, magic,tactics, and a very long lasting and ultimately addictive experience overall.

And by addictive I'm talking well over 50hrs of gameplay and you will become genuinely attached to the characters in your team. And lets not forget the replay value of the game. As soon as you finish it, you will want to do it all again and pick up those characters you may have missed or indeed lost along the way.

Brilliant.
  86. Mar 24, 2013
    Excellent game across the board. Great strategic depth that stays true to the series classics, an attractive art style, and gorgeous animated sequences make this game a must have for anyone interested in the RPG or Strategy genres.
  87. Dec 17, 2013
    Awesome game. The new pairing system is very interesting and open whole new strategies to the series. Some call it unballanced, probably aren't using the pairings to their favor. LOTS of characters with charisma and fun dialogues. Lots of fan-service too, but it won't get in the way for newcomers. Essential 3DS title. Expect to spend 100+ hours on this beast.
  88. Feb 19, 2013
    graphics looks amazing for the 3ds the terrain on the maps looks fantastic and if you turn on 3d all i can say is wow. combat animation is very good you have the option to see your character the auto tilt of the camera angle is really good then pause while they fight turn on the 3d and they looks like a live action figure now for the gameplay is the best in the series if i compare it tographics looks amazing for the 3ds the terrain on the maps looks fantastic and if you turn on 3d all i can say is wow. combat animation is very good you have the option to see your character the auto tilt of the camera angle is really good then pause while they fight turn on the 3d and they looks like a live action figure now for the gameplay is the best in the series if i compare it to the previous game fire emblem awakening to other fire emblem game you will notice the big improvement of the game. the strategy is keep getting better with the new combat system pairing will give you an advantage you can use it in many different way like killing your enemy much faster because when you pair 2 units into 1 you will get stat boos assist boost dual attack and block. correct me if i'm wrong but i think this is the 1st fire emblem game that have an voice acting during combat animation. next up is the classing system and skills wow this thing is amazing on your previous fire emblem game you can do reclassing but not here when you reclass you will go back to level 1 and your stat will remain there is so many potential will your character the weapons i like the new idea of making the weapon actually they holding it instead of the default weapon during their combat animation and not to mention the weapon increase in durability and i like it. the settings on the game also involve in the game play i like the option where you can change voice language skip enemy animation either movement or all you can also disable other animation including healing and dance there is now an option that during your turn you will only have a combat animation your enemy doesn't have. now for the story i'm not yet done with the story mode but i choose hard classic and at chapter 23 i already spend a freaking 80hrs on my save file the reason behind that is i really enjoy grinding when you learn how to grind fast you cant stop doing it ok back to the story the is fine may around average or above because what makes the story is your decision so i don't want spoiler here but i like the story so far in addition the support conversation add a big value into the game my favorite is owain and inigo where owain tell inigo your weapon is suffering it needs a name and then owain said to inigo you should ask your and then inigo cant have the answer because he can't speak sword man that was the funny part other part is sad by the way. last this game is an single player focus i was wondering if this game have an multiplayer where you can fight other player online no i realize it maybe lack of that feature but they did a really good job for a single player game focus there is a multplayer mode but if ever you really fight other army. last the streetpass wow it's only a small portion of data but i find fun because my first victim is may college prof haha street pass enable other view his profile fight him buy item and recruit, there is also spot where they give spotpass team of previous fire emblem game you can fight them recruit or buy an item i use them as grinding spot spot pass also giving free item for now its only tryfrying but maybe we can see many item in the next month, there is also a map right now i can't access it last the avatar log book you can create your avatar into a profile card something you can also recruit your other save file if you make an avatar logbook but it cost you a gold, wait the DLC so far DLC is a big help get the gold pack now while they are 6$ that dlc is totally worht it.
    if your a fire emblem fan get this game best version ever in the fire emblem series for now. if your a fire emblem fan who doesn't have a 3ds you have to buy one trust me the game is very worth playing and addicting. last for all fan of SRPG get this game no need to doubt because if you are new to the series there is a casual mode to play with but a hard core SRPG no doubt i recommend you to start playing classic Normal if you are new to fire emblem for old fire emblem fan go straight to hard or lunatic not casual straight ahead to classic.
  89. Mar 29, 2013
    This is a game-changer. This game has so many features, So many characters, So many stories, Such high quality. Epic StreetPass and SpotPass, Excellent DLC quality and VERY generous free updates. So re-playable with the limitless free SpotPass Cast, you could be playing for years. A must-have for any gamer, and excellent motivation to buy yourself a 3DS, especially with Poke'mon X/Y coming out.
  90. Jul 31, 2013
    Very addictive and breath taking, I am a first timer playing the series. I hope the others fire emblem are as good as this one. I hope this game at least gets a nomination for best game of the year. it deserves it.
  91. May 24, 2013
    The best "Fire Emblem" sequel which features a new designs and great graphics from its predecessors. It is very recommended for gamers who loved RPG and tactical games, but don't forget to play the original.
  92. Feb 21, 2013
    Probably one of the best Fire Emblem games to grace American shores to date with enough feature options (like turning perm-death off) to appease even the holdouts that believe the series to be too hard for their tastes. I was unable to put down my 3DS sans to sleep after receiving the game and I'm already planning second and third playthoughs so the replay value is very high.
  93. Oct 20, 2014
    This is just the best 3ds game I have ever played, it was my first Fire Emblem title, so I did not know what to expect, but a friend told me that past titles were extremely good, so I tried it. And OH MY GOD it was good, I liked it even more than Brevely Default, and I can´t stop replaying it.
    The gameplay is awesome, in the line of previous titles (I have bought them too and are playing them now), the story is serious, sad and fun at times, and the graphics are the absolute best of 3ds.
    I will just add that the 3d effect in this game is astonishing, probably one of the best made 3d´s I have seen since Mario.
  94. Feb 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gorgeous graphics, a compelling story, and some of the best tactical strategy combat on offer all combine to make Fire Emblem a must-have game for any 3DS owner. Even having not played any of the previous instalments in this long-running series, I have become totally engrossed in every little detail about this game, seeking that perfect experience.

The streetpass functionality in this game is brilliant allowing you to trade with, as well as, fight and/or hire your friends and strangers who own the game as well. The added DLC means that even when the story mode is done, there will be extra content to further enhance your Fire Emblem experience.

The vast amount of characters you can recruit, even early in the game, means that your future playthroughs could be radically different from your first. These addition playthroughs will also be influenced by the well-crafted difficulty scale, which can be absolutely brutal or, for newcomers, a way to get you into the game without ruining the experience. The scaling difficulty is also enhanced by the casual/classic playthrough options, which means life and death for your characters who fall on the battlefield.

There are few detracting aspects about this game. As a beginner, the tutorials offer a quick, yet thorough, explanation to most aspects of the game. My only complaint is the lack of explanation for how the job system and stats work. I've also found the game, on a whole, looks better on the XL over the regular 3DS. The only major story flaw I've had an issue with has been an apparent life or death choice for a major NPC, which the player is faced with fairly early in the game. No matter which option the player chooses, the outcome remains the same, save for a few lines of dialogue. If the choice had no impact on the story, the question of why it was there in the first place must be asked.

Fire Emblem: Awakening, is an amazing game, and one that most 3DS owners should buy. Its rich story, stand-out characters, excellently-crafted battle system, and unique job classes, will pull you in to the game and hold you there.
  95. Mar 27, 2013
    the Fire Emblem game of my dreams. I've played all the handheld games released in the U.S., and none of them compare to this one. I would have preferred to give it a 9.5 or so, but a 10 isn't implausible. games like this validate Nintendo and their relevance to the game world.
  96. Feb 23, 2013
    It feels great to be back on a fire Emblem game. it is the best 3DS game since Super Mario 3D Land. The animation cut scenes are breath taking, and look gorgeous on the 3DS. the game play is still a amazing jrpg and rts game of all time in quit a long time. the voice acting is great in English and Japanese there is no complaint for not listening to both in English and Japanese. upgradingIt feels great to be back on a fire Emblem game. it is the best 3DS game since Super Mario 3D Land. The animation cut scenes are breath taking, and look gorgeous on the 3DS. the game play is still a amazing jrpg and rts game of all time in quit a long time. the voice acting is great in English and Japanese there is no complaint for not listening to both in English and Japanese. upgrading your character is end list to want you want to upgrade on all your character. There is a lot of side quest to level up your characters in the game. This is game is great to have in your 3Ds library! Expand
  97. Mar 13, 2013
    all the people that gave this game negative feedback, must be disgruntled PSVITA owners.
    this game is just incredible.

easily one of the best portable games of the current gen handhelds
  98. Mar 13, 2013
    On a platform with very little solid titles this game in and of itself has justified my purchase of the 3DS system. I have never seen the 3D feature used as elegantly as in Fire Emblem: Awakening, nor with such grace. The gameplay is just what you'd expect from a Fire Emblem game excellent. However, they add a few new features to the mix, which after some experimentation, I felt reallyOn a platform with very little solid titles this game in and of itself has justified my purchase of the 3DS system. I have never seen the 3D feature used as elegantly as in Fire Emblem: Awakening, nor with such grace. The gameplay is just what you'd expect from a Fire Emblem game excellent. However, they add a few new features to the mix, which after some experimentation, I felt really complemented the core feature set. The only complaint I have is that there is no archive of support conversations so if you want to read the dialogue between characters once more, you will need to either watch it on youtube or earn it again on a new saved file. Expand
  99. Mar 14, 2013
    This is a game that has been refined for all players... a simplistic battle system on the outside, with an intricate and detailed system underneath to add mroe depth to the battle system with options for every skill level of players. It also includes a very engaging story, although maybe a bit chatty at times, is still one that has me wondering what will happen next.

The story is very

The story is very engaging, although i feel a bit upset that the character that you create has very little impact on the story... your character feels like he's just standing off to the side watching as the bigger events unfold. however the smaller, person-to-person interactions are plentiful, even with your character. As you play, character who fight beside one another get better relationship strength, and over time you have the option to see interactions between them, which really dive into the characters personalities and back stories. It's often small and meaningless to the grander story, but it's still interesting to learn about the individuals that make up your team.

The gameplay is simplistic, with a turn based, and grid based battle system, along with a rock-paper-scissors bonus that is easy to understand, and easy to see on screen. There is rarely a moment that you are unsure of how your move will have an effect on battle or surprised when a move goes bad because of how well the information is displayed. You're given all the information you need to make solid decisions, and the only reason that a decision might go badly for you is by your own carelessness or by a slim chance of a critical hit that you weren't expecting. It feels fair and balanced, and you never truly feel like the game has cheated you, only that you made a poor decision in some way when things go south.

Thankfully, there is a new variant on difficulty levels in this game. not only can you choose how deadly the opposing teams cane be, but you can also choose whether or not your fallen comrades die when their HP reaches 0 or for them to retreat and come back in the next battle. So you can choose to have a moderately difficult enemy, but at the same time you won't have to fear the loss of life because of a single wrong move.

The graphics are very nice, with hand drawn portraits conversing together in cut scenes, detailed battle zones, and 3D models of the character battling up close. however there's not really much to look at. with your camera high in the sky overlooking the battlefield, the 2D sprites dont look very special scattered across the battlefield, and although the 3D fight scenes are intriguing, they're not particularly interesting after watching them for a few hours, although you CAN change the camera for different effects, which is interesting. It's nothing t ocall home about, but it's a notable improvement.

All in all, this RPG is a great game for anyone who enjoys a long and enjoyable experience with various degrees of difficulty and plenty of levels of depth.
  100. Jan 2, 2014
    This is my first FireEmblem game ever. I am not really a huge fan of this type of games (or that's what I thought) but this game astonished me. It is by far the best 3DS game I've ever played. Period. Yes, I think it is even better than Zelda and Pokemon...etc

Pros: * The battling system * The story and cutscenes! The emotional side and tragedy of the story * The fact that when the

Pros:
    * The battling system
    * The story and cutscenes! The emotional side and tragedy of the story
    * The fact that when the characters die, they die forever. It's kinda heartbreaking, but also adds a depth to the game, especially when I get attached for one character!

Cons:
    * Nothing

Universal acclaim - based on 72 Critic Reviews

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Jun 13, 2013
    A truly excellent tactical role-playing game. [June 2013]
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Jun 10, 2013
    Ignore Casual mode, set the difficulty to hard, and enjoy what is arguably the best turn-based strategy game released since Final Fantasy Tactics. [July 2013, p.76]
  3. May 19, 2013
    A great turn-based strategy game surpassing not only its blood-related predecessors but step-brothers and step-sisters of the Advance Wars series as well. Fire Emblem: Awakening is the new benchmark of the genre that is practically uncriticizable. At the moment on Nintendo 3DS there is not a better alternative.