7.4

1. Fuz
    Jul 20, 2014
    Awful game designed for consoles only.
    While the art style is pretty good and the musics are nice, everything else just plain sucks. The main character animations are horrible and feel like an unfinished work.
    The controls are terrible, they're clunky and irresponsive and they didn't even change the button prompts, so you'll see gamepad keys even if you're playing with a keyboard. Shame
    Awful game designed for consoles only.
    Shame wasting such a nice art style and soundtrack on this atrocious game.
  2. Jul 17, 2014
    Game is killed by stupid control.
    You can't stop attack to block, you have to wait animation to stop. Turning character is also feels slow. Character sometimes wallclimb even if you doesn't want it. I played a lot of hardcore platformersaction,so I can say if it is game problem or my skill is too low.
    Game is killed by stupid control.
    Default control for PC is piece of #### too. Devs even didn't write right buttons for PC versions in game!
  3. Jul 17, 2014
    In a nutshell :
    Everything is sluggish and really, really slow. Whole game seems like playing Dark Souls with 200% equip load, the slowest weapon there is (which is also broken since it does no damage) against heavy armored enemies that keep blocking 90% of the time without you being able to break their defense.
    First the enemies in this game have the worst AI I've ever seen. Every
    In a nutshell :

First the enemies in this game have the worst AI I've ever seen. Every time you attack they block. It doesn't matter if your sword is actually able to reach them or not. As long as you face their way and attack they will stay put and just block even if they are 50 miles away from you. Also every time there are more than 2 enemies on the screen one of them seems completely frozen (doesn't attack, move, nothing). I beat one boss just by standing away and spamming projectiles. He just kept walking towards me, got shot (I was playing as the soldier you get when your character does) and thrown back and than he walked towards me again - this is how bad the AI is.
    By the way there is ONE move that "breaks" blocking. A grab that does about 1nano damage and throws your target up or left/right. Absolutely useless.
    Also I have no clue how the hp bar of the enemies work. Sometimes they get hit 5 times and ate still at 100% and suddenly the 6th hit brings their HP to 50%.

Now I think there is a good way to describe the "sluggish " I used in my review because "slow" is not the right way to describe it:

In this game you can just do _one_ thing at the time. If you started an action then you have to wait till the animation is over before being able to do something else. For example if you start an attack then you have to wait till the animation is completely over before you can block or evade/roll/turn around /yadda yadda. It feels like there is some sort of input lag but that's not the case ; the game just ignores everything else. If you do a "combo" and attack more than once then there is no way to turn around between the strikes. If you stand before an obstacle that you need to jump but you are facing the other direction then first you have to turn around and then jump - you cannot do both at the same time or change directions mid air. Let's say there is a wall behind of you and to get over it you need to grab the edge of the cliff to climb on it. If you jump and try to turn around then the game simply ignores the change of direction and you end up jumping backwards and instead of grabbing the edge the character just holds onto the wall and slowly slides down (see DelCasts review about the many times you hug the wall even though you don't want to).
    Again Dark Souls is a good comparison since you cannot stop an attack and block or roll before your attack ends (though, you can change directions of you strikes mid animation..). Same goes for Monster Hunter. Another game is Resident Evil where you can only walk OR aim/shoot. However those games work because they aren't 2D action plattformers with enemies that keep jumping behind you while you keep attacking the air then wait for the animation to end, THEN turn around just to realize he jumped over you AGAIN. Imagine Mega Man or another 2D action/beat em up/platformer only now you can only do ONE action at the time and you get this game.

I have no problems with those "get your timing right or you die"-games. I really love games like Dark Souls, Monster Hunter or Resident Evil and I also really love 2D scrollers like Mega Man, Strider, Viewtiful Joe or simply Mario, Rayman, PLOK! and Rogue Legacy. However this mutated bastard child of those genres known as Abyss Odyssey is absolutely boring, frustrating and generally no fun at all.
  4. Jun 14, 2015
    one more try, man was I wrong, and 150 words worth of games I can stand better than this(and that were better); starcraft 1, stronghold, stronghold crusader, theme world, moria(lol), street fighter and mortal cambat, mario, zelda, all there iterstions, armored core, mechwarior, mary kate and ashley at the beach, pack man, the original pong.
  5. Jun 15, 2017
    Abyss Odyssey
    Stiff Garbage
    Abyss Oddssey is an action platforming game where the goal is to get to the bottom which each of the games 3 characters This isn’t a true platformer aside from the hazards here… For the mose part youre just going down and killing ever enemy in your way the best you can with the clunky and stuff combat.. you feel like the tin man from the wizard of oz
    Abyss Odyssey
    Stiff Garbage
    This isn’t a true platformer aside from the hazards here…
    you feel like the tin man from the wizard of oz trying to slice these fools…
    along your way youll find new weapons , a lot of them character specific which Is a bit frustrating, some cash to buy weapons from the shop.. and your constantly cashing in for better gear to make it further and further…
    IF you do die you drop your weapons and are replaced with a soldier..
    As this soldier its your job to find a checkpoint alter to revive your fallen hero…
    And dying because combat is so stiff is extremely easy…
    And health drops from enemies hardly do you any good…
    You do sort of get a 2nd life in the form of capturing random enemies which is rare..
    but some enemies will drop a pick up for you to change into them..
    And you can be this enemy until they die..
    But if your pick up dies, you die, and your soldier replacement dies…
    its back to the start.. hjaving to drop down to the bottom all over again..
    Qhich is frustrating because there are tons of quick mini bosses on your way to the bottom, and at the bottom of this abyss is an over powered spongy and spammy boss that youre gonna need a little lady luck to get past or some help from another player as this game does support online coop..
    That is if the game doesn’t corrupt when you try and join a game like it did for me..
    Abyss Odyssey just doesn’t feel right..
    The game is boring , stiff,repetitive, broken,
    Theres no reason for anyone to play this..
    I give Abyss Odyssey
    a 3/10

1. Nov 11, 2014
    Abyss Odyssey is akin to a raid from World of Warcraft that you have to repeat over and over again. Though there is not much incentive to do that.
  2. CD-Action
    Oct 22, 2014
    An interesting way of spending a couple of evenings, but there is not enough content in Abyss Odyssey to keep you engaged until morning. [10/2014, p.58]
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Aug 27, 2014
    Beautiful to look at and stunning to listen to but lacking any real depth when it actually comes to play. [Sept 2014, p.52]