7.7

1. Dec 28, 2012
    I first played this game on the xbox 360 and it was amazing. I loved everything about it. Once I bought the computer version I was disappointed. The game is still great but the port to PC was terrible. All the instructions it gives you on how to attack and interact with the game world are still showing up as controller commands (ie hit RB to attack). Also, the original windows 7 cursor isI first played this game on the xbox 360 and it was amazing. I loved everything about it. Once I bought the computer version I was disappointed. The game is still great but the port to PC was terrible. All the instructions it gives you on how to attack and interact with the game world are still showing up as controller commands (ie hit RB to attack). Also, the original windows 7 cursor is still in game but you can't use it for anything. It just sits there and reminds you how much better this game is on a console. If you want to play this game and PC is the only option I highly recommend buying a controller. Expand
  2. Aug 28, 2012
    TL;DR: Use a controller, and the graphic fix and this game is awesome.

--- I have never given a review on Metacritic before but felt it was important to review this game due to all the surrounding "controversy". THE GAME itself is AWESOME. THE PORT was HORRIBLE (depending on your expectations). It's a 1:1 direct port to PC. Everyone wanted to play this game on PC and now you can,
    TL;DR: Use a controller, and the graphic fix and this game is awesome.

---

THE GAME itself is AWESOME. THE PORT was HORRIBLE (depending on your expectations). It's a 1:1 direct port to PC. Everyone wanted to play this game on PC and now you can, with a few caveats.

IMPORTANT:
    To enjoy this game you MUST use a controller. The game goes from a horrible, unplayable, direct port. To a fun, exciting, easy to control game. Also, it is imperative that you download the graphic fix. Before this fix the game felt like it was straight out of 2000. With the fix, while it's no Skyrim, the graphics get a much needed boost, and become quite beautiful.

PRE controller/graphics rating: 1
    POST controller/graphics rating: 9

I wanted to do this to help people who are on the fence about this game, because while it is a direct port (some may say a lazy port) the ONLY things you need to do are a very minor graphic fix, and use a controller... I don't think thats too much to ask to enjoy a game of this caliber.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    Reading the critical reviews of this game you're led to believe that you're in for a challenging and rewarding game experience. However the only real challenge in this title comes from resisting the urge to turn it off when you're forced to repeat the journey to the 'Bosses' for the 20th time, wading through constantly respawning enemies that just stand there until being activated. That'sReading the critical reviews of this game you're led to believe that you're in for a challenging and rewarding game experience. However the only real challenge in this title comes from resisting the urge to turn it off when you're forced to repeat the journey to the 'Bosses' for the 20th time, wading through constantly respawning enemies that just stand there until being activated. That's the challenge. Not the ingenious game design or the (non existent) AI. Avoiding mistakes because you've repetitively completed this very journey 20 times before. Killing the exact same enemy exactly the same way for an hour.

I could ignore the terrible repetitive gameplay if it there was a semblance of storyline propelling you through the game. Which is where we come to the second part of the 'appeal' of the game, how rewarding it is. Rewarding is seeing a story develop, overcoming a challenge and being rewarded with more exposition, more areas to explore and a change in challenge. The first 4 bosses require you to cycle around the same general area over and over killing the same enemies over and over, and the reward? Getting to do it again for the next boss, as everytime you save, all the enemies re spawn. Great idea, shall we spend time on story, enemy AI, environment design? Nah just respawn them all in the same place and get 'em to do it again. And again. And again, after all we've got their money right?

Also the port is unplayable without an xbox controller.
  4. Sep 11, 2012
    You should definitely play this game. But remember, when you play you have to want to get better or you'll only frustrate yourself.

Don't be afraid of the children raging about the controls just because they couldn't lower the camera sensitivity on the options menu. Several people already played and beaten this game on full keyboard and keyboard+mouse controls. Some even preffer not using a controler.

Some people rage about the game being unfair and stupid while they try to play the game without learning the basic combat mechanics, without blocking, without locking target or trying to rush everything spaming the attack button on a game where you have a stamina bar. Enough said, the game expects you to analize your sorroundings before proceeding, to take one enemy at time, to learn how to deal with each enemy and each location and to learn from your mistakes, something that some people just can't.

Expect to die. That's part of the game not the end of it. That's how you learn to play the game: by dying and experimenting; observing enemy patterns, learning to parry attacks or when desperate calling help from other players online. Talking to the community, wanting to learn how to play the game and upgrading your gear is also for the best. If you have doubts, don't hesitate to ask. All veteran have once suffered before.
  5. Sep 2, 2012
    Overall this game is just a quick xbox360 build with optional key binds and additional content (they do not bother changing the on-screen key markers). To be frank, I played Demon's Souls as well as Dark Souls on PS3 and they both played and looked much better than this sloppy PC version. I know a lot of reviews here are biased because it is an amazing game, but it's really unfair to newOverall this game is just a quick xbox360 build with optional key binds and additional content (they do not bother changing the on-screen key markers). To be frank, I played Demon's Souls as well as Dark Souls on PS3 and they both played and looked much better than this sloppy PC version. I know a lot of reviews here are biased because it is an amazing game, but it's really unfair to new comers. If you are a new player who do not own a console then you need to buy a gamepad first to make the game playable and enjoyable, then hassle for a while with the third party fan-made patch to make it look as nice as console version. I do not think those hassles should be placed on an average gamer. If you want to try this beautiful game on pc then I'd say wait it on sale for $10. Expand
  6. Aug 29, 2012
    the worst pc port i have ever seen in my life
    locked resolution at 768?really
    stupid key mapping for keyboard and mouse
    tutorial with xbox controller keys
    frame rate issues
    menu is unfriendly unplayable
  7. Aug 24, 2012
    Due to the bad port, I'd give this 8/10. However, adding the graphical mod and using a controller make both of my main issues with the game a non-issue. Since there are people out there giving 0's I am making this a 10.

Assuming you are playing with a controller (first time I've ever hooked my xbox controller up to my PC but totally worth it) -The controls feel great. -The graphics

-The controls feel great.
    -The graphics are good once modded.
    -The gameplay is solid, not once did I die and think, "Well that was unfair."
    -Combat has weight and strategy.
    -The world is dark medieval fantasy at its best.
    -Boss fights are grand, epic, challenging, and rewarding once taken down.
    -Armor is interesting.
    -Weapons look neat and feel distinct.
    -Difficulty is just right.
    -Death is an expected teaching mechanic. -You are punished for making bad decisions but through those decisions you come up with new ideas. -This game punishes you with death for making bad decisions but it rewards you for playing smart.
    -Each encounter is consistent, deliberate, and gives the player plenty of opportunity to make the right decisions.

At the end of the day, Dark Souls delivers the same experience as consoles but with some extra content, a faster framerate, cheaper price point, and the potential to pickup a mod for higher resolution textures.

Play this with a USB controller, my xbox controller had no issues syncing up for this game. I highly recommend people play this game on any system they can get their hands on. Just make sure your have a controller if you get the PC version.
  8. Aug 25, 2012
    The atmosphere of this game is amazing, with a minimalistic plot everything in the world is excessively dark. I can't imagine Dark Souls being less difficult, unforgiving, it teaches you that life is more suffering than pleasure, more failure than success. But if you are persistent enough you will be awarded with a pure sense of jubilation. Nothing else in gaming compares to this experience.
  9. Aug 30, 2012
    This is an excellent game that is screwed over by a horribly executed console port. With the Resolution fix that was provide the same day as release by a user the game is playable and gets bumped up to a 6 or 7, but due to the massive amounts of technical problems, low fps, graphical issues and the sticking point of them not putting any effort at all into controlling the game with keyThis is an excellent game that is screwed over by a horribly executed console port. With the Resolution fix that was provide the same day as release by a user the game is playable and gets bumped up to a 6 or 7, but due to the massive amounts of technical problems, low fps, graphical issues and the sticking point of them not putting any effort at all into controlling the game with key board and mouse I can't rate it any higher than this, especially since they haven't bothered to announce fixes for anything. Expand
  10. Aug 27, 2012
    The game itself is simply terrific, but the port is abyssmal. Especially considering how a simple mod released on day 1 by a fan fixes 2 of the most glaring technical issues, namely the native resolution buffer and DOF. That's simply inexcusable. Just a little more effort on FROM's part would have avoided most of the moaning by PC users and gave the game a better rep.
    Now with the
    Now with the fanfix, the game looks absolutely stunning, much better than it ever did on consoles. Only problem remaining is the 30 fps lock, that sometimes drops to 15 fps for whatever reason. I hope the modder can fix this as well, because the devs likely won't.
    As for the game it's unlike anything I've played before, and most importantly the antithesis to all modern games that want to be as easy, casual, and cinematic as possible. DS shines in world design, combat mechanics, and an unforgiving but rewarding difficulty. Worth a shot for anyone who likes action RPGs.
  11. Aug 24, 2012
    The game itself is a great RPG, it is however quite difficult - the combat system will get you killed pretty often, the boss fights are tough (assuming you play without reading spoilers), there are also no maps in game and every death puts you back at last checkpoint while also respawning all monsters. Now, keep in mind this is a CONSOLE PORT. It was meant to be a console port and it is aThe game itself is a great RPG, it is however quite difficult - the combat system will get you killed pretty often, the boss fights are tough (assuming you play without reading spoilers), there are also no maps in game and every death puts you back at last checkpoint while also respawning all monsters. Now, keep in mind this is a CONSOLE PORT. It was meant to be a console port and it is a console port. You need a gamepad (I used Razer Onza) to really enjoy the controls. Also make sure to get the Durante's mod that unlock internal buffer size - it's a must have! Out of the box the game looks horribly on 1080p screen, after switching the buffer size to 3840x2160px it's a completely different game! Expand
  12. Aug 25, 2012
    Great game with a basic port. It is well worth whatever minor inconvenience the port poses to be able to play this unbelievably great game. Personally, i just got a gamepad and all problems were solved. Thanks so much to the developer for bringing this to the PC platform.
  13. Aug 24, 2012
    Well, us PC gamers asked for it and we got it. Dark Souls - Prepare to Die is just as fun as the original console game, with the added bonus of several hours worth of new content. However, it's dragged down somewhat by quality of the port. Granted, this is the first ever PC port From Soft has attempted, so they ported it with the intention that it was to be played with a PC gamepad.Well, us PC gamers asked for it and we got it. Dark Souls - Prepare to Die is just as fun as the original console game, with the added bonus of several hours worth of new content. However, it's dragged down somewhat by quality of the port. Granted, this is the first ever PC port From Soft has attempted, so they ported it with the intention that it was to be played with a PC gamepad. Keyboard and mouse controls are kind of clumsy, but still tolerable. Expand
  14. Aug 24, 2012
    the game is amazing. amazing enough to get a 9 or 10. the port is crap, but the resolution fix from durante has saved form software from a catastrophe and it may as well make them some money. i have seen plenty of people double dipping just because of this resolution fix. myself included. if thats what it takes to get this game to have good sales, thats fine. maybe we can all hopethe game is amazing. amazing enough to get a 9 or 10. the port is crap, but the resolution fix from durante has saved form software from a catastrophe and it may as well make them some money. i have seen plenty of people double dipping just because of this resolution fix. myself included. if thats what it takes to get this game to have good sales, thats fine. maybe we can all hope about a good next game in the series coming to pc. dark souls gets a 10. port gets a 5. Expand
  15. Aug 24, 2012
    Bad Pc port and hard controls but still i really enjoy of this game
  16. Aug 24, 2012
    Pc gamers give pc gamers a bad name. One of the best games of all time down voted because it is the exact same as the console (not entirely true, extra content + durante's rez fix + better frame rates make this the ultimate version). Just goes to show that PC gamers dont actually like great games, they like epeen things like $1000 video cards and 3-monitor setups. Meh, their loss.
  17. Aug 24, 2012
    Dark Souls has been one of the worst PC game experiences I've had in years.

Dark Souls has been one of the worst PC game experiences I've had in years.

First off: all help messages are given for the Xbox360 controller, even though I don't have a controller plugged in. I spent 5 minutes mashing every key on the keyboard trying to figure out how to get to the options menu before finally hitting "End" to open the options. What the hell? End? Really? Couldn't use the Escape key like EVERY OTHER GAME?

So I find out the D-pad corresponds to the arrow keys, then when I pick up my sword and shield, it tells me to use the left and right on the D-pad to switch to my sword, so I hit left and right arrow keys a few times and nothing happens. I have to dig through some inventory menus to equip my sword first I guess. Why not tell me that?

While we are on the topic of controls: I use a non-QWERTY keyboard, so where the W key should be, is actually a comma. I tried to remap the move forward key and it would not let me set the W key (which is the comma character). Why on Earth would it not accept the comma character is beyond me. This is the first game I have EVER encountered (of the hundreds and hundreds I have played) that wouldn't let me do that.

Let's get to the menus. They are absolutely not friendly to a mouse pointer at all. Some widgets you can click, some you can't; you never know what's going to happen when you try to click on something. The only reliable way to use the menus are with the arrow keys.

Playing through the first area I noticed the camera felt pretty difficult to control and then it hit me: the camera is not moving based on how far I move my mouse! Moving the mouse simply makes the camera move at a fixed speed. Excuse me? I feel like I'm trying to play Doom 1 over here. While we're talking about the mouse: I constantly see my Windows mouse cursor over top of the game and it is incredibly distracting.

Sound: I have a 5.1 sound system, but I play using headphones at night out of respect for my neighbors and roommates. There are no audio options to switch to stereo mode, so with headphones I could not hear any voices in the game, even while subtitles were playing.

Graphics: I can accept the 30 fps cap and I can accept the 720p upscaling, but come on, this is 2012. At least try.

So all in all I rate this 0/10 because, although it may have a cool story and fun gameplay, I couldn't experience it because of the shoddy nature of the port.
  18. Aug 30, 2012
    Just uninstalled it, this game is the worst port I've ever played. The controls are terribly clunky, and cause of that you will die many times, hence the name 'Prepare to Die'. Difficulty in any game should be caused by mechanics, not lousy and broken gameplay.
  19. Aug 26, 2012
    Game is great, brilliant in fact. Port is appalling. Crashes, stutters, drop frame rate, no control options outside of a controller (that may or may not work), no graphics settings, and a locked frame rate make it impossible for me to enjoy this. No one should support a developer who releases sub par dross like this.
  20. Aug 25, 2012
    For those coming from the shiny generic tale of Diablo III, Dark Souls takes an approach to story in the same vein as Diablo II: The world has been created and populated with a great background, but it is up to you to find it, instead of it being shoved into your face with endless cut-scenes and minutes-long exposition. The game itself is strict but fair; any mistakes made will be punishedFor those coming from the shiny generic tale of Diablo III, Dark Souls takes an approach to story in the same vein as Diablo II: The world has been created and populated with a great background, but it is up to you to find it, instead of it being shoved into your face with endless cut-scenes and minutes-long exposition. The game itself is strict but fair; any mistakes made will be punished severely but the game will never cheat. Similar to Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, you will get to the end of the game not by brute-forcing it, but by becoming a better player. It is one of the most rewarding games to play on PC.

It is just a shame that such an amazing game has been let down by one of the worst ports in memory, regardless of the player-made fixes available.
  21. Aug 24, 2012
    Its strange that this game was release in only 720p, a shame really.... don't let that discourage you though.
    you see this game is still just as amazing as before and the new content is every bit completely worth it! although im obviously not going to spoil that.
    Let me add that there is a patch that puts this game into 1080p and i have to say the game looks amazing now that Ive applied this patch hopefully the developers will release it as an official patch now that its been created.
  22. Aug 25, 2012
    Superb game & decent enough port what are you waiting for buy it now. PC version is way better than the console versions its the definitive version of this superb game. There is a lot of misinformation about this being a poor port its not at all. Its certainly not the best looking game ever made but also with the upscaling graphical mods (check the neogaf forums) now available it looksSuperb game & decent enough port what are you waiting for buy it now. PC version is way better than the console versions its the definitive version of this superb game. There is a lot of misinformation about this being a poor port its not at all. Its certainly not the best looking game ever made but also with the upscaling graphical mods (check the neogaf forums) now available it looks very good in places & is very well optimised on PC. The higher resolution alone makes it look a lot better than the console but throw in the mods, AF filtering, instant load times, vsync & smooth FPS combine to make it a decent enough technical experience. Its designed around the MS 360 gamepad & wokrs very well with that. KB+mouse is not the best way to play this but still possible. This game has superb atmosphere, art direction, voice acting & creature/work designs. One of the best games ever made & also one of the hardest its not an easy game but also not as challenging as others its more about exploration & making the right choices. GFWL works very well here but most of the time you will not even notice its present apart from the achievements appearing onscreen (you can even disable these notifications if you do not want to break atmosphere). Ignore the BS & hate campaigns against this game its one of the best ever made & just has a unique & superb atmosphere. Only a 3.7GB install as the game is so well optimised & the textures highly compressed. No pointless lengthy FMV here or dialog to waste disc space its so the install size is small but the game world is still pretty large. Expand
  23. Aug 24, 2012
    This game is a direct console port. They didn't even remap the Xbox buttons to interact with things. But that's ok, they still released a PC version by community request. I highly recommend playing this game with a Xbox controller, or a PS3 controller using MotionJoy DS3 Tool to emulate a Xbox controller--this is what I do, and it plays perfectly like the PS3 version. Next thing IThis game is a direct console port. They didn't even remap the Xbox buttons to interact with things. But that's ok, they still released a PC version by community request. I highly recommend playing this game with a Xbox controller, or a PS3 controller using MotionJoy DS3 Tool to emulate a Xbox controller--this is what I do, and it plays perfectly like the PS3 version. Next thing I recommend is to get the community made resolution fix located here: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=108

The difference is unbelievable, and will make your game look phenomenal.
  24. Aug 24, 2012
    An excellent game, marred by a sloppy, horribly executed console port. Even if we were to dismiss the graphical issues, low FPS, locked internal resolution and the technical problems on some hardware like crashes and freezes, we're still left with one plain and simple fact. Dark Souls is designed to be played with a gamepad. No effort was made to alter that fact in any way. As a result theAn excellent game, marred by a sloppy, horribly executed console port. Even if we were to dismiss the graphical issues, low FPS, locked internal resolution and the technical problems on some hardware like crashes and freezes, we're still left with one plain and simple fact. Dark Souls is designed to be played with a gamepad. No effort was made to alter that fact in any way. As a result the keyboard and mouse settings are clunky, unwieldy and imprecise, the camera a cruel mistress at the best of times. Any fan of this title knows that precision is key to success and the mouse controlled camera affords none whatsoever, whereas the attempting to use solely the keyboard results in a rather awkward realization that an additional hand would be necessary to accomplish anything at all. It's unfortunate this port is such a disaster, as this is by far one of the best RPGs (if we are to define "RPG" in the "Diablo" sense of the term as opposed to say, the Baldur's Gate sense) to have come out in a good decade. Expand
  25. Aug 24, 2012
    This is exactly what we were promised. If you are disappointed, then that is your fault. The game looks and basically plays the same as it did on the 10 year old console hardware that it was originally developed for. Of course it doesn't look like a new state of the art PC game. Also, if you came into this thinking that you were going to play on a keyboard, and are now complainingThis is exactly what we were promised. If you are disappointed, then that is your fault. The game looks and basically plays the same as it did on the 10 year old console hardware that it was originally developed for. Of course it doesn't look like a new state of the art PC game. Also, if you came into this thinking that you were going to play on a keyboard, and are now complaining about the controls...you're an idiot, straight up. Did you know/read nothing about this game before purchasing it? Thanks to From-Software for listening to it's consumers and actually releasing this. Expand
  26. Aug 24, 2012
    It's Dark Souls, on pc and it's a 10. It's an exact port of the best console game/ game of this generation. Seriously ignore the high pitched girlyman resolution/keyboard/mouse/gfwl/consoleportomfgshtuup background whine and just buy an xbox gamepad. I really really wish i could be playing it again for the first time just to experience it with fresh eyes. It has a game world full of weirdIt's Dark Souls, on pc and it's a 10. It's an exact port of the best console game/ game of this generation. Seriously ignore the high pitched girlyman resolution/keyboard/mouse/gfwl/consoleportomfgshtuup background whine and just buy an xbox gamepad. I really really wish i could be playing it again for the first time just to experience it with fresh eyes. It has a game world full of weird mystery, memorable characters and some of the most awesome and imaginative bosses and combat ever. It hints where other games crap exposition over you, and a winding twisting design to the levels that really impresses once you understand what is going on.

There is nothing remotely close to this on pc.
  27. Aug 24, 2012
    It's all Bulletstorm again, where GFWL ruins an otherwise great game. Now, add the console port issues to that and you've got one of the biggest mess of a game this year. If I had to rate the vanilla game, I'd give it a 0 or 1. They absolutely took ZERO time to make this run better on the PC. What's funnier, a group of game developers (console experts or not) can't do, what a modder can doIt's all Bulletstorm again, where GFWL ruins an otherwise great game. Now, add the console port issues to that and you've got one of the biggest mess of a game this year. If I had to rate the vanilla game, I'd give it a 0 or 1. They absolutely took ZERO time to make this run better on the PC. What's funnier, a group of game developers (console experts or not) can't do, what a modder can do in 23 minutes, at all. The game itself is good, though the combat is almost identical with The Witcher 2's difficulty and combat, it's just as enjoyable. Cinematics are good, so is exploration and character customization, but god, the menus and the tutorials are atrocius. The guy who had the idea to make the End button the one which brings the menu up instead of Escape should be fired. I actually had to Alt+Tab and search how to open the menu, just like the inventory menu in Skyrim.
    To make this short, it's a great game, but GFWL and the issues I mentioned make this game very unfriendly. If you are patient enough to wait until modders fix the game or the developers use the modders' works as patches, then wait. If you're completely fed up with GFWL, I suggest pirating is the way to go. I swore that Bulletstorm will be the last game I buy that uses GFWL, and sadly, I had to keep this promise, since there is no DRM free version. It's sad that Namco Bandai choose to go EA's way, meaning the DRM and no optimization.
  28. Aug 24, 2012
    Bad port. No bindings for mouse, bugs and graphics flickers. From console developers to console boys.
    Resolution is capped, FPS are capped, keyboard and mouse controls are a nightmare, video options are inexistant ... I think is damn timemachine from Skyrim to dark 2005 ages
  29. Aug 28, 2012
    All the complaints about the bad keyboard & mouse controls infuriate me. This game is MEANT TO BE PLAYED WITH A CONTROLLER. I too, hate the fact that the PC controls suck... But this is a non-issue if you plug in a controller. I would give this game 11 / 10 just to make up for the low ratings from people who are to dumb to plug in a controller. This is the best. gaming. experience. Ive.All the complaints about the bad keyboard & mouse controls infuriate me. This game is MEANT TO BE PLAYED WITH A CONTROLLER. I too, hate the fact that the PC controls suck... But this is a non-issue if you plug in a controller. I would give this game 11 / 10 just to make up for the low ratings from people who are to dumb to plug in a controller. This is the best. gaming. experience. Ive. ever. had. When playing Dark Souls, I feel like being young again and sitting in front of the old Zelda titles, immersed in the game. I just want to say thank you to the developers... Thank you. Expand
  30. Aug 24, 2012
    This game is not a great port, but it's not a terrible one either. Despite what some people would have you believe, you don't have to have a controller to play this PC game. Having analogue sticks would certainly make controlling a bit more precise, but I've had no problems playing with keyboard alone. The default config is working fine for me, but the keys are completely remappableThis game is not a great port, but it's not a terrible one either. Despite what some people would have you believe, you don't have to have a controller to play this PC game. Having analogue sticks would certainly make controlling a bit more precise, but I've had no problems playing with keyboard alone. The default config is working fine for me, but the keys are completely remappable in-game, so there's really no excuses to complain about the controls. It's true that the in-game prompts don't display the keyboard keys, but if you can't even be bothered to read the manual and see what the controls are before playing a game you're not qualified to write a review for it in my opinion. Despite the minor issues I feel this game is fully deserving of a 10/10 based on the gameplay alone. This is the sort of thing all games should aspire to be. Expand
  31. Aug 25, 2012
    Worst port I've seen this gen by far. You don't release a game on a new system without supporting the controller. This is bonkers, and more insulting given From KNEW they had a market before doing the port. Ugly, entirely unoptimized, and terribly KB&M controls. Going to have to wait for people who actually care about quality to fix this mess.
  32. Aug 25, 2012
    I don't mind that there are no PC exclusive high res texture options. Dark Souls isn't about graphics.
    I don't mind GFWL. Annoying, but whatever.
    I don't mind the 30 fps frame lock. The gameplay experience is smooth enough. I don't mind the limited resolution. On the first day someone already provided a fix for that. .. but what I do mind is the fact how insulting the implementation
    I don't mind GFWL. Annoying, but whatever.
    I don't mind the 30 fps frame lock. The gameplay experience is smooth enough.

.. but what I do mind is the fact how insulting the implementation of the controls are. Wake up. This PC version isn't a love-letter from the developer to the PC community. No, the management looked at the 100'000+ petition and thought... wow, easy money. Lets do a port with the least effort possible!

The result is, that they didn't even bother do remove the windows mouse cursor from the screen while in game! The ingame hints are based on the xbox controller layout and cannot be changed. The keyboard / mouse control method is next to useless. You need to play it in order to see how abysmal the controls actually are.

"So what? Get a gamepad!" some may cry. The default PC peripherals are mouse and keyboard last time I checked and if you own a gamepad then the chances are pretty decent, that you also own a console. So whats the point of a PC version in the first place? The Dark Souls DLC is coming to consoles later this year anyway.

But if you already own a gamepad or you're willing to invest into one, then ignore the user ratings, because with a gamepad the gameplay experience is as it should be. Read the official critic reviews, hype yourself up and enjoy one of the best mature RPG experiences that there is out there.
  33. Aug 24, 2012
    There is no excuse for this port. Not a one. At first glance it seems like something someone at Namco ported this during a lunch break. There are bad PC ports where the game menus are keyboard only and are rough around the edges, and then there is this. In my first minutes of playing the game I ran into several problems. Right off the bat there is the FPS lock, the 720p resolution, theThere is no excuse for this port. Not a one. At first glance it seems like something someone at Namco ported this during a lunch break. There are bad PC ports where the game menus are keyboard only and are rough around the edges, and then there is this. In my first minutes of playing the game I ran into several problems. Right off the bat there is the FPS lock, the 720p resolution, the lack of options in to "options" menu. The options menu has a grand total of five options. Resolution, refresh rate, full screen, AA, and motion blur. What about texture quality or MXAA or particle effects? Jumping into the game there is a prompt to "press 'a' to pick up dungeon key". Now unless the use key is actually bound to the "a" key there is no reason to have the xbox key prompts instead of actual keys. "Press 'Start' to open menu and arms icon". After impotently face rolling my keyboard, I discovered "end" was the start key. Not escape. End. People claiming that this was meant for a game pad are delusional plain and simple. The majority of people who play on PCs use a keyboard and mouse and expect to have indicators that can be easily understood. That isn't entitlement, that is a fundamental right for a gamer. It would be just as surprising to me if an imported game was still in the native language and considering this port I'm surprised it isn't , in fact, in Japanese. There was no excuse to pay for a port as poor as this. After seeing how well crafted and great Dark souls was, I patiently waited for this port. It is such a shame such a beautiful gem was weighed down by such abysmal work in a port rendered this game frustratingly bad. Expand
  34. Aug 25, 2012
    And I thought that Resident evil 4 console port was horrible.This is much much worse. By far the worst port I have ever played, and I play videogames almost twenty years. Please do your self a favor and do not buy this game, which is possibly great on consoles, but horrible on PCs. Do not support lazyness of its developers.
  35. Aug 25, 2012
    This is the worst port I have ever played in my entire life - Yeah, I am not kidding. They didn't even bother changing the ingame hints from keybinds from the Xbox controller to PC keyboard, so every time the game asks you to press a key to loot, open a door or whatever, its showed as if you were using an Xbox controller, and lets you sit and guess which botton that was again. - CameraThis is the worst port I have ever played in my entire life - Yeah, I am not kidding. They didn't even bother changing the ingame hints from keybinds from the Xbox controller to PC keyboard, so every time the game asks you to press a key to loot, open a door or whatever, its showed as if you were using an Xbox controller, and lets you sit and guess which botton that was again. - Camera swings around horribly annoying when using the mouse. I cant believe this game was ever, and I mean ever released for the PC, I would feel ashamed as a developer here. I can't believe people are poking this to a anywhere near positive rating, it's unacceptable to release a game that cant run with decent controls unless gamers invest in an xbox or playstation controller, - if players wants to use that, they would have gotten the game for their consoles. Wake up people, this is not acceptable. - I was stuck at some point trying to figure out how to open the main menu to check my controls, but I never found it after pressing every damn key on my keyboard. - Don't support this - Don't buy this game... Expand
  36. Aug 25, 2012
    Despite the provided community fix in a mere >23 minutes, Dark Souls on PC doesn't really add anything to the already successful console version of the game. The developers didn't bother to remap the k+m keybinds, no graphics options and on top of all it uses GFWL for the online play that consists of people invading you and leaving meaningless messages at key points. A certain waste ofDespite the provided community fix in a mere >23 minutes, Dark Souls on PC doesn't really add anything to the already successful console version of the game. The developers didn't bother to remap the k+m keybinds, no graphics options and on top of all it uses GFWL for the online play that consists of people invading you and leaving meaningless messages at key points. A certain waste of money for me. Expand
  37. Aug 24, 2012
    This easily could have been made into one of the better computer games this year, instead it is a terrible port that need a lot of work. The graphics are just plain terrible. 30fps limiter with dips to 20fps is just atrocious. This game uses approximately 10% of my gpu power. The camera is shaky and annoying. The controls are obviously ported. I was smashing buttons trying to figure outThis easily could have been made into one of the better computer games this year, instead it is a terrible port that need a lot of work. The graphics are just plain terrible. 30fps limiter with dips to 20fps is just atrocious. This game uses approximately 10% of my gpu power. The camera is shaky and annoying. The controls are obviously ported. I was smashing buttons trying to figure out how to do simple things like access my inventory. It is a real shame since this game could have been something so much better than this poor port. I understand that the console version is great but sometimes ports are not meant to be ported unless there is additional work done to make it a better experience for the PC user. Expand
  38. Aug 24, 2012
    To all people who are downrating it because the game because it is a port. I have to ask, what did you expect, Fromsoftware is an EXTREMELY small company who barely had the manpower to make the game for ps3 and xbox. If they wanted to make a perfect pc port, they would have had to rewrite the entire code for the game, by themselves, which would have been impossible. Fromsoftware gaveTo all people who are downrating it because the game because it is a port. I have to ask, what did you expect, Fromsoftware is an EXTREMELY small company who barely had the manpower to make the game for ps3 and xbox. If they wanted to make a perfect pc port, they would have had to rewrite the entire code for the game, by themselves, which would have been impossible. Fromsoftware gave the information that it would be a port from xbox before it was released and anyone who didn't know this, or rather is downrating because of it, shouldn't be a little **** about it Expand
  39. Aug 25, 2012
    This is the worst port ever, talk about a crap game that stacks on hype and a steaming pile of nasty ports. This game was supposed to kill diablo 3, what a joke. The developers failed at their life
  40. Aug 24, 2012
    This has got to be the worst PC port I ever had a displeasure to endure. The graphics are horrible, combat controls are clunky at best, non responsive at worst, there is no real story attached to this game and the game difficulty that has been heralded as the savior of the challenging gaming is nothing but an over inflated trial and error garbage. To make things even worse it's not evenThis has got to be the worst PC port I ever had a displeasure to endure. The graphics are horrible, combat controls are clunky at best, non responsive at worst, there is no real story attached to this game and the game difficulty that has been heralded as the savior of the challenging gaming is nothing but an over inflated trial and error garbage. To make things even worse it's not even that difficult. I killed the first boss by dying once, and the whole "combat" experience could be described as just being tedious. Avoid at all costs, watching plants grow is more fun than this overhyped trash of a game. Expand
  41. Aug 24, 2012
    Wow. This game. FPS is locked at 30 (same as on console), which by itself isn't a HUGE problem, but throw in FPS drops due to the engine and suddenly you're looking at much lower framerate in two areas (maybe more if the new content adds any). Naitively the game does not support resolutions higher than 1024X720 (though that was somewhat fixed by some random guy in about...23 minutes.Wow. This game. FPS is locked at 30 (same as on console), which by itself isn't a HUGE problem, but throw in FPS drops due to the engine and suddenly you're looking at much lower framerate in two areas (maybe more if the new content adds any). Naitively the game does not support resolutions higher than 1024X720 (though that was somewhat fixed by some random guy in about...23 minutes. Apparently 23 minutes is just too much time for From to put into the game. Keep in mind he had no experience with the game nore a source code). And the controls. The windows mouse arrow is in the middle of the game screen. That is just pathetic. Oh and instead of the mouse controlling the camera (like, ya know, practically all other PC games with a moveable camera) the mouse only acts to control a virtual joystick, and this virtual joystick move the camera slower than it is moved on the PS3 or 360 version. Mouse accerlation (which is a bad thing already) was reveresed and as a result if you move the mouse quicker it actually slows down the camera. And then the game uses GFWL...

This port is just horrible. It is **** Do NOT buy it you would be wasting your money on a pile of **** and telling developers and publishers "Hey, I'm cool if you release broken **** I'll still eat it up nom nom nom!" The people giving it 10 stars or anything higher than a **** 5 are either fanboys or marketers being paid to do so. Hell, the two "professional reviewers" gave this **** an 92 and 89. I bet you almost anything they happened to get a little gift from Namco or FromSoft, that are the reviewers themselves are fanboys. Now, port aside. This game really is great, it is unfortunate that the port is such utter **** If you have a PS3 or 360 or if the PC version gets fixed then I do highly recommend you buy the game, but do not buy this port so long as it is a steaming pile of ****
  42. Aug 24, 2012
    LOL at those giving it a bad score just because you suck at it. Ungrateful PC players trashing a game that the DEVELOPERS THEMSELVES already said that they weren't fully developing for PC. It's a decent to bad port, but plays just like on console with a Xbox Controller. Areas where frames used to drop don't drop anymore (Blighttown, Demon's Ruins),

Just because you're bad at the game,

Just because you're bad at the game, and because it isn't shiny, don't whine. Ungrateful PC players :) as usual. Go play Battlefield 3 or Skyrim (easy games that hold your hand and have a no-need-to-think gameplay). You weren't even supossed to get this game. Ever. Now I hope next time you don't get nothing at all. Whine some more.
  43. Aug 24, 2012
    Overrated, uninspiring and boring. So this is the game that my friends pictured to me as the ''Panacea of Gaming'' and turned out to be completely wrong. The gameplay is clunky as hell, especially when you engage in a boss fight.. The map design feels bland and very empty, not to mention that the graphics are downright terrible. Is this 2012 or 2004? Ok, continuing with this, its not openOverrated, uninspiring and boring. So this is the game that my friends pictured to me as the ''Panacea of Gaming'' and turned out to be completely wrong. The gameplay is clunky as hell, especially when you engage in a boss fight.. The map design feels bland and very empty, not to mention that the graphics are downright terrible. Is this 2012 or 2004? Ok, continuing with this, its not open world as some people told me, its completely linear and boring and the character lacks personality and charisma. Also, it has GFWL. That is enough for anyone to stay away. I don't even know why companies still use this. I'm glad i got it as a birthday gift, but sometimes i wish my friend didn't have to spend that amount of money. I'm not ungrateful, on the contrary, but this game is definitely not my cup of tea. Definitely one of the most disappointing games of 2012. Expand
  44. Aug 24, 2012
    This is the holy grail of all console ports to the PC: The worst of it all. Trust me, it is that bad. Default key mapping is a joke. Graphics are **** even 5-6 year old games look much nice. Sound effects are so simple and bad. And controls.. Oh, controls. They are.. stupid. Yep. Dont waste your time even with a pirated version, i think this gives an idea of how bad this game is. It isn'tThis is the holy grail of all console ports to the PC: The worst of it all. Trust me, it is that bad. Default key mapping is a joke. Graphics are **** even 5-6 year old games look much nice. Sound effects are so simple and bad. And controls.. Oh, controls. They are.. stupid. Yep. Dont waste your time even with a pirated version, i think this gives an idea of how bad this game is. It isn't even worth of pirated download.. Expand
  45. Aug 24, 2012
    Do not buy this game.

Do not buy this game.

The game starts out with a terrible intro which reminds me of games from the 90's and from there everything gets progressively worse. The menu interface is bad and lacks mouse settings. Even on the lowest dpi-setting, my mouse moves too fast. When you start the game you get cues for which games to press.. on a gamepad. No idea what to press on my keyboard. The graphics are really ugly and worst of all.. the game runs jittery on my core i7 980X w/ Geforce GTX 570. When I encountered the first enemy, I died because apparently the character hitbox extends beyond the visible body.
  46. Aug 25, 2012
    im playing games since years and sometimes portations from the consoles to the pc are cheap and annoying, but this game.... this is the most terrible portation i have ever seen in my life! everything is just so cheap portated and without concideration of the requirements of the pc plattform, that it kills the whole game experience. everything there fails - the ui, the controlls, theim playing games since years and sometimes portations from the consoles to the pc are cheap and annoying, but this game.... this is the most terrible portation i have ever seen in my life! everything is just so cheap portated and without concideration of the requirements of the pc plattform, that it kills the whole game experience. everything there fails - the ui, the controlls, the graphics, the settings, everything. its so poorly done, that even a random guy from the street was needed to improve the graphics a bit. tl;dr
    ITS A PURE RIP-OFF!
  47. Aug 26, 2012
    First of all why all these bad review with a 10 score??? Btw I had a really high expectations for this game. I love play games on hardnightmare, so this sounded like a good challenge for me. After few minutes bad graphic (late ps2 like), choppy frame rate(cheap console port style), bad pad mapping, made an hard game an impossible one! So im really disappointed. I don't suggest this even onFirst of all why all these bad review with a 10 score??? Btw I had a really high expectations for this game. I love play games on hardnightmare, so this sounded like a good challenge for me. After few minutes bad graphic (late ps2 like), choppy frame rate(cheap console port style), bad pad mapping, made an hard game an impossible one! So im really disappointed. I don't suggest this even on sale, too much frustration! Expand
  48. Sep 7, 2012
    I can believe that last week this game has a total of 400 hundred negative reviews and now there are only 145. The user score was in 3.0 or something like that. Come on be honest about this game. The game was not ready to be deliver to PC. Lack of graphics , terrible controls from mouse and keyboard and also using a controller. The story is not a big deal and the character classes lookI can believe that last week this game has a total of 400 hundred negative reviews and now there are only 145. The user score was in 3.0 or something like that. Come on be honest about this game. The game was not ready to be deliver to PC. Lack of graphics , terrible controls from mouse and keyboard and also using a controller. The story is not a big deal and the character classes look more like super Nes type. Most of the positive comments are from the developer Expand
  49. Aug 24, 2012
    Worst port ever. Resolution is capped, FPS are capped, keyboard and mouse controls are a nightmare, video options are inexistant ... in general it make me feel like I'm playing on a PS2 emulator.
  50. Aug 24, 2012
    I'm wishing I'd spent my money on Darksiders II instead. This game is just dire. The story is let down by graphics that wouldn't have looked out of place on my original Xbox. Yes, I can set the resolution to 1920 x 1080, but it's obviously still intended to be played on a big screen. Don't get me started on the control system; if I'd wanted to use a gamepad to play a game, I'd haveI'm wishing I'd spent my money on Darksiders II instead. This game is just dire. The story is let down by graphics that wouldn't have looked out of place on my original Xbox. Yes, I can set the resolution to 1920 x 1080, but it's obviously still intended to be played on a big screen. Don't get me started on the control system; if I'd wanted to use a gamepad to play a game, I'd have bought it for my 360 instead. You can customize the keyboard controls and even use a mouse (mouse support is just terrible), but all of the on-screen prompts assume you're using a game pad. So you're left either mashing keys until you get the right one, or having to look it up on the cheat-sheet you've probably had to print out to stand any chance of even being able to press the correct button. The camera controls are also extremely annoying. TL;DR - If you want this game, get the console version. Expand
  51. Aug 24, 2012
    Disgracefully blatant score-bumping from the developer/publisher here. As every other legitimate customer is saying - this port is dire. Given the enormous control issues, It's not in a playable state. I am not happy.
  52. Aug 24, 2012
    This has to be the worst pc port ever. The only reason they shelled this out is because pc gamers petitioned for it and they gave us a bad quality product. This is going to lead them to believe that if you make a pc port then pc gamers won't buy it but in reality pc gamers won't buy bad quality products.
  53. Dec 17, 2016
    Why does everyone only criticise this game for being a bad port. The difficulty aspect of needs much more attention: Just don't buy it.

One point for setting and concept. One point for atmosphere.
  54. Oct 6, 2015
    Bought it, played for ten ours. Got to sewers, hated the whole game from the start. Stopped playing. Gave another try after 6 months. Didn't die once going to sewers. Understood something about the combat. Something clicked. This game is the best in it's genre. Easily. Still the best game ever. Praise the sun.
  55. Jan 29, 2013
    This game has its issues and it is in need of some improvements and yes it is a straight from console to pc port. That aside I still rate this game as a whole amazing. Why? The community released a fix for the internal resolution glitch. "The controls are bad" Buy a controller. Many console to pc ported games need one for the controls not to be horrible. "It doesn't feel like it was meantThis game has its issues and it is in need of some improvements and yes it is a straight from console to pc port. That aside I still rate this game as a whole amazing. Why? The community released a fix for the internal resolution glitch. "The controls are bad" Buy a controller. Many console to pc ported games need one for the controls not to be horrible. "It doesn't feel like it was meant for PC." IT NEVER WAS INTENDED TO BE. From Software admitted in the beginning when they were first developing Dark Souls for Xbox and PS3 they had no intentions of releasing it for PC. They did this to test the waters. To see what the response would be for their series if they released a game to PC and even included the DLC early exclusive to PC. All that aside, I own copies for both PC and Xbox and I still find the PC version better. The xbox couldn't handle certain parts of the game without lagging. My PC being a powerhouse had no trouble. The gameplay is exceptional. The feeling of embracing a challenge again and again just to die and pick yourself back up again, to try and figure out a new way to get past it. The views are just exceptional. The intricate weight factoring and weaponstyle choices. Just everything about this game made me fall in love with it. True it has its faults and it could have been better, but after the sales reception of this game From Software is now more then aware they have a following in PC gaming and is more then likely to release their next addition on a better enhanced version for the PC. Expand
  56. Dec 8, 2015
    It's unfortunate that I only found out about this amazing game after first playing Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls is just so unique and refreshing with its difficult, but fun to master gameplay, minimalist storytelling, and amazing atmosphere. Absolute must-play for any RPG fan and easily in my top 3 games ever played.
  57. Mar 13, 2016
    It lost a few interesting things that Demon's Souls had but imo this is the best game FromSoft has developed til today (Dark Souls 3 not released yet). It has an interesting interconnected world with very different areas. It has a deppressing but interesting hidden ish lore. And most important of all, the gameplay is engaging and fun. You already know everything else about this game.
  58. Apr 19, 2017
    This was my first Souls game. I had really hard time at first and kind of hated it a bit because of the difficulty and the new mechanics that I had to learn. From Software brought a whole new genre to us and it was very refreshing and satisfying. It has nice world design and the fun of exploring is made in a right way and the feeling when you slaughter you enemies is fantastic

If you

If you don't have the discipline of dying too many times at a game then move on because this is nothing for you. You will get angry and you will scream and swear at some point but that's also whats makes it fun.

Good idea with cool gameplay and once you play it you will remember it for the rest of your life. I've played every soul game and even bloodborne. DS2 has more place in my heart than any other soul game for some mystic reason...
  59. Mar 23, 2019
    Dark Souls punishes you for not knowing things you have no way of knowing yet. Punishment is performed by excessively wasting your time.

Things that you have no way of knowing yet but will punish you come in many variants: - walking in the wrong direction (wrong-level areas, missing a checkpoint (which are sometimes hidden)) - traps and ambushes along the way - spending exp/souls on

- traps and ambushes along the way
    - spending exp/souls on bad stats or weapons
    - basic rules of combat (invincibility frames, parrying, invasions, armour usefulness, enemy turn speed, some hitboxes)
    - behaviour of never before encountered enemies
    - enemy weaknesses
    - strategies that feel like they shouldn't be this effective in the first place
    - which enemies to better run past

You'll get punished for not knowing this by either:
    - having to redo the last couple of minutes (this you will spend most of your time on)
    - wasting hours being in an area you have no business being in
    - having a weak character for the rest of the game
    - getting angry for having no way of having knowledge in advance how to circumvent the punishment
    - wondering if the designers of the game are actually trying to make your life worse
    - doubting if trying again is worth your time in the first place

To fill the knowledge gaps needed to succeed you either use trial and error or one of the numerous guides which make most parts of the game easy and which most players seem to use. A big portion of the fun of exploration is destroyed by using guides but there is no fun in unfairly getting punished either so you have to pick your poison. In retrospect I regret not using a guide more willingly because it seems like a requirement to have insider knowledge about some aspects of the game (i.e. finding a certain door). If you look stuff up though then you miss out on probably the best part of the game which is the atmosphere of maneuvering through an unknown, grand and hostile world.

Indeed the game world doesn't want the player to succeed which is surprisingly an interesting concept. It enforces a narrative of the player progressing against all odds by beating monstrous bosses and enduring senseless hardships by strength of will. This is funnily enough the beauty of Dark Souls.
    You will encounter a lot of reviews praising its difficulty from players who were captivated by this narrative and somehow didn't mind all those hours wasted by getting unfairly punished. But if you don't need a self-esteem boost or get one by enduring hardships and value your time then I can not recommend this game to you.
    Don't let your judgement be clouded by people telling you, you are bad for quitting. They might just be justifying having endured the punishments themselves. Most will quit this game and most will do so for good reasons.
  60. Dec 2, 2015
    Dark Souls is the hands down the best game of the previous generation and will remain the best game of this decade. It just offers unparalleled gameplay and a story that's beyond anything we've had in RPGs so far.

The people complaining about the port are just silly. Yes, it's a bad port, but you only need a controller and 2 minutes of your life to install a mod that fixes everything.
  61. Mar 28, 2017
    Hands down the best game i've ever played. No sentence could describe the combination of dread, excitement, and awe that I felt every time I go through a fog gate and see a boss for the first time.
  62. Jul 28, 2016
    Love it. Might be my favourite game ever.

Yeah, the port is dodgy. Download the mods, get a controller, and prepare to give a few hundred hours to this amazing game. It's such a unique experience, with a strange world crammed with character, atmosphere, and creativity. What's very interesting to me, and I don't think I've experienced this with a game before, is how the
    Love it. Might be my favourite game ever.

What's very interesting to me, and I don't think I've experienced this with a game before, is how the consciousness that you develop when playing Dark Souls leaks into the rest of your life, and you find yourself examining reality with a different mindset. That's pretty amazing. I guess YMMV

A challenging, magical, life changing game for me.
  63. Dec 23, 2016
    Fight with controls (why the LOCK function is on my Start button???). Fight with overpowered enemies. Die. Fight with controls. Fight with overpowered enemies. Die. Think what you did wrong. Fight with enemies. Fight with another group of enemies. Die. Fight with enemies. Fight with another group of enemies. Go to the third group of enemies. Die. (...) Time after time after time, the sameFight with controls (why the LOCK function is on my Start button???). Fight with overpowered enemies. Die. Fight with controls. Fight with overpowered enemies. Die. Think what you did wrong. Fight with enemies. Fight with another group of enemies. Die. Fight with enemies. Fight with another group of enemies. Go to the third group of enemies. Die. (...) Time after time after time, the same fights. Going 500 meters in the game world requires 5-6 deaths and beating the same groups of constantly respawning enemies. I thought games are supposed to be enjoyable. This one is infuriating. What a waste of money. Expand
  64. Mar 22, 2017
    This game is a masterpiece. PC port is bad, but with DSFIX is perfect. Controller highly recommended.
    The world is beautiful and really well connected. That connexions between areas are just crazy. It's awesome. The combat system is fantastic, the lore is dark and hard to find out without reading object descriptions. The bosses are incredible. The difficulty is well implemented. You must try this game out.
  65. Nov 1, 2017
    Remember Castlevania? It was like Dark Souls! Because it was so difficult for its time.

And Battletoads? Ghosts 'n Goblins? Zelda 2? All those games were like Dark Souls! Because lord knows we can't have a conversation about ANY challenging game/game with swords and shields these days, without it somehow being compared to Dark Souls! Ocarina of Time may go down in history as

Ocarina of Time may go down in history as being the best Dark Souls game, but all work and no Dark Souls makes Souls a Souls Souls.
  66. ABR
    Jul 7, 2018
    This is a phenomena. The legendary game. Yes, it has bad port for PC due to marketing war between game platforms, but with DSFIX, and even having lags in the Lagtown, this game is one of the, or maybe even the best RPG ever created.
  67. Jul 29, 2018
    Very nice atmosphere and concept, but the gameplay feels very broken, and even though the community may tell you to "get good" the truth is that the game has bad controls.
  68. Oct 24, 2018
    Dark Souls is a deliberately clunky and frustrating fighting game. It is mostly linear aside from a few branches and tangents, so the player is usually provided with a clear sense of direction from the game's start to finish. The aesthetic of the game is very dark, gritty, and ugly; while this is sufficient to make an artistic point which is at the core of Dark Souls's appeal, the game'sDark Souls is a deliberately clunky and frustrating fighting game. It is mostly linear aside from a few branches and tangents, so the player is usually provided with a clear sense of direction from the game's start to finish. The aesthetic of the game is very dark, gritty, and ugly; while this is sufficient to make an artistic point which is at the core of Dark Souls's appeal, the game's egregious length makes this a touch overbearing. The main issue with Dark Souls is how its un-intuitive, poorly organized stats and progression are so lazily thrown together so as to be nigh incoherent. Keeping track of which stats correspond to what on items is tedious and pointless, coupled with the arbitrary and frustrating of repairs and upgrades. All manner of mechanics like this make Dark Souls feel like a bad RPG not artfully difficult. Overall, Dark Souls presents an interesting artistic concept executed in a mediocre fashion. Expand
  69. Aug 3, 2013
    Gave it a 0 for not having any story or characters to speak of. Very shallow game and the only thing it has going for it is the fact that it's got a reputation for being "very hard" which to me speaks volumes about it's lack of balance more than anything. Give this one a miss and play Devil May Cry instead.
  70. Oct 14, 2013
    decided against my better judgement to buy this game, even though I had heard it had been a pretty bad console port. I was thinking hey, people said that about Skyrim and I didnt have a problem with that! But this game has created a entirely new category for ports.

After three hours of messing with options and trying different fixes I was able to get the game to actually start. I finally got through the pain of that to discover how bad the port of this game actually is. If you are potential customer please please heed my warning before buying this. It is simply not worth it. Here is some of what you will go through even IF you get the game running:

The game requires you to be constantly connected to GFWL to even save the game; GFWL is a broken and discontinued service. Good luck finding some workaround.

All of the default settings and control settings make no sense, and none of the tips are tied to a keyboard mouse. A few kind souls have tried to develop some fixes (dsfix and dsmfix) but they may not work for you. Even after downloading these fixes and messing with the .ini files, I cannot get my mouse to work with this game.

Throw away your money if you want, but I've warned you.
  71. Jul 17, 2013
    I heard alot about this game, some people even said it's their favorite game of all time.
    So naturally i had to try it. And let me just tell you, this is literally the worst i have ever played.
    Graphics (1/10) PREPARE TO PUKE Some games releases 10 years ago had superior visuals to this turd. I'ts muddy, colorless, blurry, low contrast, not to mention low resolution. If you don't

Graphics (1/10) PREPARE TO PUKE
    Some games releases 10 years ago had superior visuals to this turd.
    I'ts muddy, colorless, blurry, low contrast, not to mention low resolution.
    If you don't plan to play on a TV at a huge distance, you might be kinda fine?
    But if you try to play it on a 1920x1080 screen, you will have a bad time.

Performance (1/10) PREPARE TO LAG!
    Worst optimized game ever, i run skyrim and kingdoms of amalur at smooth 60 fps and these are not the best optimized games either, but with FAR superior graphics. And yet here, despite the 30 fps cap, my fps is usually around 20. What a joke.

Gameplay (1/10)
    Prepare to Die, yeah no kidding. This is one of the games where error margin is very tight. Basically you will have to replay the same part of the game until you get it right, one mistake or two, and you're back to the checkpoint. That's alot like Hotline Miami, but that game had insanely fun and fast combat, also you didn't want to kill yourself when you screw up, because you lose nothing, except several seconds of your life Here combat is slow, clunky and boring, mostly due to terrible controls (even with a controller its still pretty bad). And you will die often, but checkpoints are far between, also dying causes permanent penalties, so every time you die you get so frustrated you'll want to really die, or just stop playing this game.

On the bright side there is an awesome enemy variety, no wait, you just fight zombies all the times. Bummer.

Voice Acting (1/10)
    Theres not much of dialogues here, and that's for the best, since the voice acting and writing for this game is just pathetic. Also no lipsync at all, people talk to you through their ass i suppose.

On a side note, i had to start a game over again, because i accidentally attacked some NPC, and he (wait for it) KILLED ME, THEN KEPT GANKING ME WHILE I RESPAWN... OVER AND OVER AGAIN. There was a genius behind game design here i tell you.

Final Rating (1/10) There are many factors that determines if a game is good or not. Audiovisuals, fun gameplay, good story... this is lousy in every of these aspects. Basically the only thing it goes for is a challenge. But dying and failing over and over isn't fun. Especially in a ugly, choppy, clunky and boring mess of a game. That's just my opinion, some people like this game, but i say they are insane.
    And stuff like graphics and performance are NOT subjective, in those terms this game really deserves a (1/10), so people who rate this game 10 or even 9, are full of sh1t.

Here are games that you will enjoy more than this turd:
    Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur, Two Worlds II, Witcher 2, Darksiders II
  72. Nov 6, 2013
    Meh. I'm not giving this game low scores because it's difficult. I bought the game knowing it is difficult, and I wanted challenge. I wanted to experience the sensation of getting better. But unfortunately the game did not appeal to me as much as I thought it would. While it plays well with a controller, the game seems very small and lacking in many aspects. Feels dull and boring. There'sMeh. I'm not giving this game low scores because it's difficult. I bought the game knowing it is difficult, and I wanted challenge. I wanted to experience the sensation of getting better. But unfortunately the game did not appeal to me as much as I thought it would. While it plays well with a controller, the game seems very small and lacking in many aspects. Feels dull and boring. There's no direction to anything you do in the game, it's just... mindless. I guess there is some kind of lore hidden in the game, but it's not worth looking for to be honest. I bought the game from Steam, played it for 6 hours and was pretty much done with it. Expand
  73. May 9, 2016
    Dark Souls breaks a cardinal rule of RPGs: you can beat it without leveling. But only if you’re really good, and only if you understand its systems perfectly—that its crafting system matters, that certain items can be obtained only by fulfilling obfuscated quests. Or you can just play as Pyromancer. In a genre where systems are king, Dark Souls reigns because it’s all about systems. JustDark Souls breaks a cardinal rule of RPGs: you can beat it without leveling. But only if you’re really good, and only if you understand its systems perfectly—that its crafting system matters, that certain items can be obtained only by fulfilling obfuscated quests. Or you can just play as Pyromancer. In a genre where systems are king, Dark Souls reigns because it’s all about systems. Just learning how each stat affects your character’s build is a process deeper than most D&D-themed RPGs, but it’s ultimately just as rewarding.

So is discovering the rich lore of Lordran, which is told through cryptic conversations and subtle environmental clues. The depth of Dark Souls' world carries over into exploration, too. Everything is connected brilliantly, and secrets and shortcuts—including massive hidden areas and features—await the most dedicated adventurers. Dark Souls' summoning system is also unlike anything else in RPGs, but you can unplug and beat the whole game solo, or learn to love being invaded and fighting off another player.

You died. Mostly because it's a terrible port to PC; you're punished for trying to play with mouse+keynoard. The line where the fun of masochistically being killed time and again and suffering defeat because of the horrible port had to be drawn somewhere. Use a controller and get the graphic fix to alleviate the problems. Still dying? Git Gud.
  74. May 3, 2015
    You know how some people say "a game isn't bad because it's too difficult"? This game kinda disproves that hypothesis, the difficulty curve at the beginning of the game is ridiculously high and does a terrible job at easing the player into the game. It puts you straight into the action with multiple enemies just 5-10m into the game. Such a shame because the initial cut-scene showed realYou know how some people say "a game isn't bad because it's too difficult"? This game kinda disproves that hypothesis, the difficulty curve at the beginning of the game is ridiculously high and does a terrible job at easing the player into the game. It puts you straight into the action with multiple enemies just 5-10m into the game. Such a shame because the initial cut-scene showed real promise and the game seemed to have a thought out world judging purely from my first impressions.

To top it of, the game is a shoddy Xbox 360 port. It's such a bad port in fact that it's almost impossible to play without an Xbox controller. An interesting premise for a game, poor execution. I wish I could play it further, but the difficulty curve is just too extreme for me.
  75. Aug 1, 2013
    An horrible port from console to pc, unplayable as it with mouse & keyboard, you have to run through lot of tweaks to make it playable (provided by users!), for me the game don't worth the time spent to make it run properly...
  76. Apr 30, 2016
    [OVERALL = 0 (or less)]
    [OVERALL = 0 (or less)]
    The Dark Souls series are the worst-designed games ever made and have no redeeming factor. They are also the most overrated, because for reasons I can't understand, the rest of the internet adores them and actually praises their flaws as if they were virtues. "Hard but fair" they say? Dark Souls isn't hard, it's time-consuming and obtuse; once you waste 5 hours grinding your stats and find the "cheat" weapons with a walkthrough, most encounters become so easy they're boring; and it isn't fair, the game randomly punishes you (SEVERELY) often and without warning, and is totally unplayable without a step-by-step walkthrough. If someone patched the game to remove the upgrade system, properly balance the enemy encounters, and put a navigation arrow telling you where to go, a 50-hour-plus slog would turn into a 3-hour game that would bore you after the first hour.

[PRESENTATION = 7]
    (Visuals = 7) Graphics aren't bad, but everything more or less looks alike (brick castle with vegetation); the only reason you recognize places is that the game halts your progress so much you become familiar with the most generic of locations.
    (Sound = 7)
    (Voice Acting = 5)
    (Vibration = 5)
    (Physics = 8) Enemies ragdoll when they die and the physics of broken crates/barrels is actually pretty cool, although physics never affect gameplay.
    (Plot = 5) The story isn't great but is unintrusive.

[CONTROL = 2]
    (100% 3D hack-and-slash = 2) DS is a shallow hack-and-slash. Damage can penetrate blocking shields and is affected by distance and whether you press the light/fast attack or heavy attack button, with every move drawing from a limited but regenerating stamina pool. But there are only three moves:
    a) while locked-on, deflect an incoming attack to instant-kill; this reduces the game to a quicktime event without a button prompt
    b) while locked-on, hold the shield button to block a strike until the enemy staggers, then counter-attack
    c) do a dodge-roll to avoid a strike, then counter-attack. This is the most risky strategy, it mostly only works on bosses (whereas a and b only work on standard soldiers)
    All of these put you at risk when you face more than one enemy at a time, because you can only focus on one.
    The game also lies to you about there being other options. Supposedly it's possible to wield one heavy sword with both hands, or one weapon in each hand, but since you need the shield to block if you want to survive multiple encounters, these are impossible.
    There are also some purchasable projectiles, and the occasional rare item that grants you a significant advantage (like doubling your health or the weapon's damage, etc.) but you'll never use them because you die so regularly that any one-use item would be a waste.
    (Camera = 6)
    (Physics = 4)
    (Friendly AI = none)
    (Enemy AI = 3)

[DESIGN = 0]
    (Menus = 4)
    (Upgrade System = 0) Non-automatic upgrade systems are a cancer on videogames, because they always result in boring grinding early on and then being boring-ly overpowered later. Of course DS embraces both flaws to both extremes. But worse, you drop all non-spent experience points where you die and they vanish if you don't collect them on the next life, so it's easily possible to waste 2 hours of your time for nothing.
    (Level Design = 0) Every checkpoint has like 5 paths branching from it, 2 of them hidden, only 1 of them feasible in order to advance the game, and of course there are no hints as to which path that is. It is unplayable without a walkthrough. This is a problem videogames solved around the GTA3/Crazy Taxi era: navigation arrows.
    (Difficulty Curve = 0) Personally, I don't like "exploration" games, but for those who do, one of the prerequisites is that exploration not be painful. In DS, the constant risk of losing all your experience holds you back from trying new paths or risky jumps. At one point I fell into a pit and got hit by gas that took half my health (aka "cursed"). PERMANENTLY. Unless you trekked across the entire map and bought one of a LIMITED number of cures. And since enemies respawn, it is totally possible to lose half your health forever.
    The game is so punishing that you stop feeling guilty about winning through exploits that aren't fun: spamming projectiles from outside enemy reach, tricking the enemy AI into walking off cliffs, etc.
    (Modes = Singleplayer campaign w/occasional online Players allowed in to fight you, 50 hours, 95% padded) Had difficulty been properly calibrated, you could get through the whole game in 3 hours if you could stand how simplistically boring the combat is.

[CONCLUSION]
    This isn't "hard", it's bad design. I've played bad games before, but never one made intentionally so bad to purposefully frustrate its audience. Super Meat Boy is hard. ANYONE can beat Dark Souls with a walkthrough guide and the willingness to be bored and frustrated for 50 hours straight. I only wasted as much time as I did to see what the fuss was about, and I regret even that.
  77. Jun 23, 2013
    Awkward camera angles make this a pain to play. Also 1/3 of this game is in a place called Blightown which has constant frame rate problems and definitely not something i would recommend to others play it.
  78. Sep 13, 2018
    Pretty good game with a few problems for me.
    In about 75% of the game it's a fair challenge to the player but the rest of the remaining 25%? A very unfair memory test (Those percentages are totally not made up btw)
    The first boss for example, a real thrill of a challenge that feels rewarding once you beat him. But in other cases creatures off screen will just sling a projectile or
    Pretty good game with a few problems for me.

But
    in other cases creatures off screen will just sling a projectile or some gargantuan beast from nowhere will pounce and you're dead. No two ways about it, you're dead.
    The camera coupled with the level design can sometimes screw you over, where it'll clip behind a wall and block your complete view.
    I like a challenge, not a memory test of jump scares and OHKs.
  79. May 26, 2014
    PC Review: Out of box, this was a piece of trash. The game runs at 1024x768 natively no matter what resolution you select in the options... thats right. It runs at the same resolution as Diablo 2 and old 90s games... I got the latest patch and it fixed the resolution problem so I can play at 1080p. The graphics... are horrendous. Was this really on the PS3? Wow.

OK no problem about the

OK no problem about the graphics since I am not a big graphics guy anyway. Lets go into the game and play. The game is an action/rpg. The story is bland. You start off as an undead and you start working your way out of some sort of prison on an island or something. The 1st thing you fight is a boss who will kill you a few times when you first start playing. Why you might ask? Well, because the controls are even worse than the graphics.

1st glaring problem is responsiveness. The game is designed to react slowly... why anyone would enjoy a twitch action game with slow response is beyond my understanding but lets continue. You click a button and the character doesnt actually move right away but rather you have to wait about 1/4 second before he does. This takes time to get used to and results in getting hit a lot initially until you get the timing. Its frustrating at first because if the controls were instant then the 1st enemy would actually be very easy to dodge and attack but whatever. They wanted us to play like we are in a 2 ton tank. Ok fine. Next problem.

Camera... Oh my god... how on earth can you make a game with this type of camera in this day and age. The camera is exactly like the horrible camera in Devil May Cry 1 on the PS2. It is so so bad that I refused to buy any more DMC games after finishing the 1st because my memories of that game are only of frustration. Like DMC, the camera in this game will eventually get you killed not because an enemy is hard, but because your view gets blocked by obstacles or the enemy itself. This is unforgivable in a modern game. Yes you can still finish the game, but it is not fun.

OK so with the problems above, I decided to switch to my Xbox controller so that I can control the movement speeds a bit better (its analog which cannot really be duplicated easily on keyboard) and to see if I can control the camera better with the 2nd stick. The game played better with the controller but the problem with the camera persisted because sudden motions and dodges can often get you out of alignment and make you vulnerable without being able to see the enemy.

The game itself is ok. It basically plays like Zelda or similar action RPG's but with a horrible camera. I do like that it is more rpg heavy than Zelda but the slow responsiveness and camera really makes it lose a lot in gameplay. After about 2 hours of play, I realized that the game is going to revolve around memorization of enemy movement and I decided to uninstall and return the game for a refund. Sorry but memorization of enemies is not how an RPG should be. RPG are supposed to be strategic where the player can overcome with good preparation and tactics. This game is less about that than it is about trial and error. This is not what I enjoy about RPG's. If I wanted that type of game I would have purchased an adventure game not an action twitch shooter or an RPG.

I wouldnt say the game is horrible but lets be real. Graphics look a step above PS2 (not PS3 era). Controls on PC are not fully realized due to analog mechanics and camera movement. Even with a controller the camera is horrible. Its an action game with purpose input delay... Thanks but no thanks.
  80. Apr 25, 2013
    Too much game!
    This game is easy to pick up but demands time, patience and diligence to master.
    The combat system is amazing. Simple but immensely deep and satisfying. Even the lowest ranking enemies will cut you to bits if you rush in or lose concentration. The world or Lordran is beautiful in a dark way. It's history and lore revealed only to those who seek it. The problem is that
    Too much game!

The problem is that this game really does demand too much of you. If I were a teenager with nothing better to do, I would score this a 9 or 10, but as a married man that works and has two kids, this is too much. I don't have the time to go back and fight the same boss for the fifth time just to have my behind handed over to me.
    As a game, it's great. It is addictive as anything and very satisfying, but it does cross that line from being a game to feeling almost like a commitment. Too much for me.
  81. Oct 28, 2013
    I can't wait until gaming technology is advanced enough that developers will be able to implement a button that freezes the action to allow you to go to the bathroom, or answer the phone, or perform other basic real-life tasks.

Oh wait...
  82. Sep 18, 2016
    Intro:

Intro:

Dark Souls is one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time. The game sold very well and has created the current Souls series which includes Dark Souls, Dark Souls II, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls III. Dark Souls was created by Fromsoftware it was to be the spiritual successor Demon's Souls which was worked on by the same team. People praised the game for its difficulty and thick atmosphere. I have been told by many people to play this game. I finally played it and beat it in a few weeks. I frankly did not enjoy that much. If you are expecting a positive review you can look at another review now. I felt that Dark Souls was a flawed janky game that was hamstrung by its difficulty but had well designed levels and ambiance.

Presentation:

Dark Souls has a passable presentation. The graphics are decent for a game that came out in 2011. The game's visuals as an overall package can look quite excellent in times and give you the feeling of hopelessness and oppression. The menus are design can be a bit clunky with your inventory filling up too much. The levels are designed with a high level of detail that greatly increases the immersion. Overall Dark Souls has a presents quite well.

Story:

Here is the part where I begin to not like Dark Souls. Dark Souls has a highly convoluted story that follows the theme of light and dark. Dark Souls has a minimalistic plot. Historical events in this world and their significance are often implicit and left to player interpretation rather than fully shown or explained. Most of the story is given to the player through dialogue from characters within the game, flavor text from items, and world design.The opening cutscene begins in primeval times, with a world shrouded by grey fog and ruled by Everlasting Dragons. In this world, Gwyn happens upon the First Flame and finds a Lord Soul, and with his allies, use their power to defeat the dragons beginning the Age of Fire. But all flames must fade, so after thousands of years, the Age of Fire was dwindling. With the dwindling flame, the undead curse appears, where certain humans become branded with the Dark Sign and continually resurrect upon death, losing a small piece of their humanity and sense of self with each death. The player begins as one of these cursed undead, locked away in an undead asylum "To the North". After escaping the asylum with the aid of the knight Oscar, the player ventures to Lordran attempting to follow a mysterious prophecy, given to them by Oscar. From there the story takes off. I feel that the game's story is too convoluted and minimalistic to tell a great story I understand that many will disagree with me on this.

Gameplay:

Dark Souls most lacking aspect is in the gameplay department. The game seems to be more focused on difficulty than eljouablbilty. Many deaths in the game can be unfair such as the games poor hit detection and physics which can cause your character to sometimes corrine off a cliff. I feel that Dark Souls has created a nasty tread in this area of creating difficulty as the center of the gameplay which can greatly take away from the experience. I believe that games should be enjoyable experiences and not frustrating ones. I believe that Dark Souls difficulty would be much more fair if it had a difficulty setting so players can choose how hard they want the game. The very well respected game critic Jim Sterling agrees with this and has wrote and said in the past that he wouldn’t mind Dark Souls having an easy mode so it would be acceptable to less experienced players. The game uses a basic action RPG combat. The game also uses a basic leveling system where you choose a class and build it from there. The game also features many frustrating level designs especially Sen’s Fortress which features many cheap and unfair traps that makes you often have to restart the area many times. The game also features some of the worst platforming in video game history even worse than the original Half-Life. Dark Souls combat I mostly found boring frustrating and repetitive and incompetent. Overall Dark Souls gameplay is far more frustrating than enjoyable.

Technical:

Dark Souls suffers from many technical problems and crashed on me many times in the middle of playing. The game also experienced many strange glitches as well. The game also had a terrible physics system which would glitch in and out and ruin the entire experience.

Overall:

Dark Souls is poorly made game. I don’t understand the praise this game gets. Maybe I am not the demographic for this game. I see Dark Souls has a bad influence the game industry. Bloodborne when it came out was praised for the same reason by critics but I hated it as well and they claimed it was a true survival horror game. As a survival horror fan I see it infest and ruin recent horror games to focus on difficulty to “scare” the player vs. genuinely trying to scare player in creative ways. I am greatly looking forward to Resident Evil 7. And so far from the trailer and demo it looks great but I hope that it takes influence from horror games like P.T. and SIlent Hill that focussed and real storytelling and scares over cheap difficulty to stress the player. I feel that games are made to be fun and Dark Souls is not that game. I give Dark Souls a very disappointing 4/10.
  83. Jan 8, 2013
    Dark Souls is a bad PC-port but it's not unplayable. Playing with a keyboard and a mouse is possible but not easy (with a controller it's a lot easier).There is no excuse for these problems and as you're playing it becomes clear that the developers did not put any effort into making the game suitable for PC. You have to resort to community-created fixes and mods to get past the problemsDark Souls is a bad PC-port but it's not unplayable. Playing with a keyboard and a mouse is possible but not easy (with a controller it's a lot easier).There is no excuse for these problems and as you're playing it becomes clear that the developers did not put any effort into making the game suitable for PC. You have to resort to community-created fixes and mods to get past the problems that they should've taken care of but apparently were too lazy to. Even the tutorial is for people with X-Box controllers and the mouse is always jittery.

The game is difficult but that's basically the trademark of Dark Souls so I don't consider that a negative. It was meant to be hard and it's clearly not meant to be played by casual gamers seeking purely entertainment. The game doesn't tell you the story the traditional way - by handing it for you on a silver platter. Instead you have to be interested yourself - you need to combine the pieces you got from talking to NPCs, reading item descriptions, looking at the game environment and deducing into a story. Not a groundbreaking story but a decent story.

One thing I absolutely love about this game is the bosses. Oftentimes they do not really have any ties to the story but they are so difficult that beating them feels rewarding, like you truly accomplished something. The people who designed the bosses had a good imagination; each and every boss is interesting and unique. Not that there are any complaints about your everyday enemies in this game.

Gameplay is absolutely fantastic and that's a good thing because that's what this game is completely based around. You don't need to sit through 30-min cutscenes, instead you can play the game itself and that's all you need to ever do. You are fighting enemies more powerful than yourself so combat is not just mindless button mashing. In combat, you have many options and not just "boring attack 1" and "boring attack 2" and to win you need to know how to use all the different mechanics. You need to be patient and getting from point A to point B is never easy as enemies never disappear - they respawn always if you rest at a checkpoint.

If you're looking for a challenge and a certain old RPG-charm (and you can stand playing the game with a keyboard and mouse or you are ready to buy a controller which you shouldn't have had to buy) then you've found your game.
  84. Oct 6, 2012
    i like Dark Souls but it has some big problems. For a start it is not a good pc port, I had to use mods to get it to 1080p at 60fps and sometimes games for windows live would crash and I would get kick me off of my game and without live you can't play with your characters. The online of the game is that you can join a random world and help or kill someone and they can join your two, whichi like Dark Souls but it has some big problems. For a start it is not a good pc port, I had to use mods to get it to 1080p at 60fps and sometimes games for windows live would crash and I would get kick me off of my game and without live you can't play with your characters. The online of the game is that you can join a random world and help or kill someone and they can join your two, which is a nice touch but most of the time when someone join you it really lags and you can do a thing when one invades your world at lvl 60 and your lvl 12. it is a hard game and the control really bad you need a controller to play it. some of the sub boss are harder then real boss but it is a good challenge and you might like. The graphics beautiful with the mod for 1080p. A good game but with the problems it has I am going give it a 6.9 but I recommend to someone who like a good rpg. Expand
  85. Oct 16, 2013
    This can't even be considered a port. The controls are horrendous, the UI only shows controls for the Xbox 360 controller, and there is no way to actually exit the game; you must ALT-Tab out to kill it. Absolutely atrocious.
  86. Sep 21, 2012
    **Short Version: I went into Skyrim, had a ton of fun and walked out feeling like a little kid with a wooden stick and a plastic plate for a shield. I came out of Dark Souls feeling like a man who took on the world and won. It is a horrible port, but when a game is this good it really doesn't matter as the community had fixed it before the first week was finished. || **Long Version: Ignore**Short Version: I went into Skyrim, had a ton of fun and walked out feeling like a little kid with a wooden stick and a plastic plate for a shield. I came out of Dark Souls feeling like a man who took on the world and won. It is a horrible port, but when a game is this good it really doesn't matter as the community had fixed it before the first week was finished. || **Long Version: Ignore any review that complains about the resolution or about how its unplayable on your mouse and keyboard. This is the ultimate RPG experience for anybody with a brain, as all you need is a 1 megabyte mod extracted into the root directory of the game and a controller of some kind, which is a must have regardless of what games you play. A miniscule amount of effort will enable you to experience the game in beautiful 1080p with high quality SSAO and SMAA which makes it look as good as most PC titles. The games mechanics are flawless to say the least, with a large amount of risk vs reward that leaves you feeling like you actually accomplished something without the entire world screaming 'HAIL DRAGONBORN, YOU ARE OUR HERO!'. The arsenal of weapons and armors are just as impressive as everything else in the game. You can wear a leather trenchcoat and wield a 40kg crossbow which fires bolts big enough to skewer a bear, and instantly swap to a 8 foot long katana. If that isn't your style though you can always wear armor the size of a truck and dual wield greatswords. The people who slander this game for things that you can fix in less than a minute really should get it for console, right after selling their PC and never infecting the platform with their lazy, misinformed, inane babble. Expand
  87. Oct 18, 2013
    Terrible game. I don't understand the motivation of the main character, whom you play as. You are seeking a goal but in the end the goal does nothing for your character, it is a flame that beckons and keeps you warm but upon sitting with it all it does is destroy you at the end. The end is nothing more than the relationship a moth has with a flame. So there it is at the end, after all theTerrible game. I don't understand the motivation of the main character, whom you play as. You are seeking a goal but in the end the goal does nothing for your character, it is a flame that beckons and keeps you warm but upon sitting with it all it does is destroy you at the end. The end is nothing more than the relationship a moth has with a flame. So there it is at the end, after all the time you spend with the flame, after all the trials and hardships and gifts it does nothing but destroy you. Enjoy your oblivious and pointless ending of nothingness. Sounds are subtle and that's a flaw because without the audio I can not sense theme or meaning. A large example of this is during the last part of the game it will only play an obtusely and exaggerated piano solo in a vain attempt to garner an emotional response from the player when at the time all you should feel as the player is a yawning sense of unease, boredom and just general defeatism. This is something that generally carries through the entire audio library of the game, monotone clang sounds for weapons that match one another and unsatisfying sounds when a weapon connects makes nothing but a small shearing noise. Controls are heavy and slow and overall confusing, for example once you hit the attack button you have to commit to the attack animation and if it misses this will result in a longer recovery meaning you are encouraged to really never attack except in the most assuredly favorable conditions. Chances are for the player that's practically never. I don't understand why a pole-arm would work differently than a sword or saber. Graphics are substandard and the player inexplicably always casts a light source which shows technical weakness such as 2D flora, characters generally rip from all 6th century archetypes and such. Example being the sun worshipping is not unlike Zoroarastrism. Additionally the commodity system is bungled in how that it is tied to your character's experience system for levelling making the overall game an absolute chore. That's just the game in the end: a job with no joy. Expand
  88. Sep 27, 2012
    Might be tl:dr, but whatever. First off, this game is more like an 8.5/8.75, but, whatever. After playing quite a bit of Dark Souls now (never played it on the Xbox/PS3), I feel like the need to opine on this "masterpiece." The game is definitely fun and it's a hell of a game. I'll be playing all through the semester. However, I would not bring this up to the level of "masterpiece"Might be tl:dr, but whatever. First off, this game is more like an 8.5/8.75, but, whatever. After playing quite a bit of Dark Souls now (never played it on the Xbox/PS3), I feel like the need to opine on this "masterpiece." The game is definitely fun and it's a hell of a game. I'll be playing all through the semester. However, I would not bring this up to the level of "masterpiece" by any stretch. First and foremost, this is a game by gamers for gamers. For people outside the hardcore gaming community, there is almost nothing going for the game. The graphics are decent, but not spectacular; the story isn't bad, but it's poorly told; and the gameplay is repetative. Let me expound on the story a little. It ain't there for ya. You've got to find it. But when you do, the acting and the dialouge are meh, so there's a lot less incentive to look for the hidden pieces. (As contrast, consider the hidden dialouge of the Mass Effect series and the incredible writings - as in the books - of The Elder Scrolls and the original Deus Ex; I consider these much better examples of quality hidden plotlines). Also, the lack of connection between the different sequences leaves you scratching your head. I appreciate digging to find a story, but the inability to direct your search in any meaningful way means you're missing a ton unless you have outside help. Next, and this a big one for all us gamers, I don't find this game hard. Sure, you die a lot, but that doesn't make it hard in the technical sense. The mechanics of the game are straightforward and the controls easy to master. The environment does throw curveballs at you, but the reality of it is that a little examination of an area and the enemies removes any tricks. In particular, enemy attacks are all identical in type (if not form): blockable and unblockable. It's not rocket science to figure out. There are still tactical choices to make involving positioning and stamina level, but once you figure out that you can block even crazy looking attacks (noted: with a 100% DR shield, but these are actually quite common) the gameplay difficult degenerates significantly. Finally, I don't care what people say, this game cheats, just like any other. Things like getting hit through walls, thrusting straight forward when you're locked onto a flying enemy ABOVE YOU (I will never go back to Blightown... stupid annoying bugs that refuse to get hit), and horrible camera placement at inopportune moments kill you just as much as poor gaming on your part. So why am I giving this an 8.5? It's a blast to kill things, the leveling mechanic is solid, the multiplayer/community is flat out brilliant, and the loot/weapon/armor/smithing is decent. It's not that this is a bad game. But it's lacking the technical difficulty of other hardcore games and the atmosphere and story(telling) of "easier" games. In the end, it's just a game, and one that I am more than happy to waste my time on. Expand
  89. Dec 1, 2013
    Dark Souls is essentially a mediocre action game with shallow RPG elements tacked on. If you're looking for a GREAT action game, you're better off playing Devil May Cry (or DMC3 for that matter) which has RPG elements about as deep as you'll find in this game, (kill enemies, get currency, upgrade character) but with much better combat and tighter, more responsive controls.

The Nintendo

The Nintendo hard challenge doesn't help the game much either, as it leads to very limited game play experience. Essentially, you run through an area fighting dull enemies, get one shot by the area boss, run through again, try to figure out how you got killed, die (of course), run through again, rinse and repeat until you figure out the boss's gimmick. Which just leads to you spending most of your time fighting the same predetermined enemies, while bashing your head against an over-tuned boss battle. Eventually you clear that area, and it's onto the next, and just like that, after just one area, you've experienced all the game has to offer.
  90. Apr 10, 2013
    There are issues to this port. Google: steam dark souls tweak. It will lead you to a guide which fixes many of hte problems. my graphics improved greatly, and fps improved greatly.

Been gaming since chrono trigger on the Snes. In terms of best single player game, this ties with chrono trigger. In terms of best gameplay in a single player game, this is it. The game is hard, and you learn by dying. And it's awesome. You have to pay attention to every fight, or you can die to the smallest creature. The combat is challenging. For the first time, I feel like I'm actually exploring. There is no map, so you have to pay attention to your surroundings.

This is the first single player game I've send more then twenty hours playing in years. Others may be pretty, but theyare boring.
  91. Dec 5, 2012
    If the idea behind the difficulty was to exclude a huge number of gamers .. then they succeeded. Not every person is born with the ability or dexterity ... plus other handicaps and factors that make this game unplayable for many. For instance, I am 64 years old - I was not born the Nintendo Generation - I can barely type properly. There are several games I've been forced to regretfullyIf the idea behind the difficulty was to exclude a huge number of gamers .. then they succeeded. Not every person is born with the ability or dexterity ... plus other handicaps and factors that make this game unplayable for many. For instance, I am 64 years old - I was not born the Nintendo Generation - I can barely type properly. There are several games I've been forced to regretfully abandon over the years (Prince of Persia ... ) that I would dearly have loved to play. But there was no difficulty level that would permit me. To deny any option that will allow ALL people to enjoy a game is purely shortsighted. And frankly ... stupid. Expand
  92. Dec 27, 2012
    I believe that the official reviewers should have given the game reduced scores for the poor port: controls and graphics, but I bought a controller, used the patch and this game is amazing.
  93. Nov 29, 2013
    Dark Souls has the story, it has the progression, it has the loot and but it ruins it all in one single moment with a singe gimmicky gameplay mechanic.

I'm a big fan of RPG games, I love the idea of adventure, exploration and expansion of my character, Dark Souls isn't really an RPG where it matters, It's an RPG in terms of progression, It's and RPG in terms of it's rewards and Loot system, But as far as the gameplay goes, it's as far away as being an RPG as possible, it has a nice competent combat system, relying on health, stamina, timing and the type of enemy you are facing, all this is truly wonderful. It has an awesome loot system, tons of different weapon types, ton's of different combinations of class types. It's truly got everything that makes a great RPG, it also has some exploration and adventure, it's not the kind of thing you see in Fallout, Skyrim, Dragons Dogma, Kingdoms Of Amalur, It's more linear, you have a set linear path, on a set linear story, but the world itself isn't linear, there are lots of places to go, lot's of hidden areas and tons of things to find, But, it's not open world and if it was, it may have benefited more from that.

So wait? I like it? Well, here is where the biggest problem with Dark Souls makes itself obvious, It's challenge and it's lack of options for those who don't want a challenge. Dark Souls tried to appeal to a specific audience and I respect that, I understand the type of people it's aimed at, the kind of people who play Minecraft on hardcore, The people who play Bioshock Infinite in 1999 mode The people who play Fallout in hardcore mode. I get it. But those games I Just mentioned, have a difficulty for people who don't like challenge, don't like being punished for every mistake. Dark Souls does it anyway, it's difficulty has sure given it a distinguishing calling card, a reputation per-say. But Dark Souls reputation could be that it's a truly amazing game were it not crippled by it's difficult reputation, what it does, is it turns people off. I put off buying Dark Souls for the reason, when I bought it, I liked it, but I'm glad I only paid £3 for it, put it that way. You NEED to give people options Namco, have difficult options for the people that want them and give a great experience for those who don't!
  94. Jan 2, 2014
    I hated this game with all my heart, but after 10 hours, somehow I got hooked.
    If you think it's too hard, I recommend you to loosely follow a guide to help you where to go and what to do.
    I have a controller, I love to use it, and the DSfix does wonders.
  95. bvr
    Dec 26, 2012
    In a nutshell: engrossing and janky as hell. People giving this game a 10 should be shot. Sure, the game is supposed to be difficult but that difficulty is based largely on the clumsy controls and buggy programming. When I say controls, I'm not crying about the mapping of buttons. I'm talking about a camera and movement system straight out of 1996. I feel like I'm controlling Lara Croft inIn a nutshell: engrossing and janky as hell. People giving this game a 10 should be shot. Sure, the game is supposed to be difficult but that difficulty is based largely on the clumsy controls and buggy programming. When I say controls, I'm not crying about the mapping of buttons. I'm talking about a camera and movement system straight out of 1996. I feel like I'm controlling Lara Croft in Tomb Raider 1. Black knights that glitch in front of your face as you're running away from them is an example of poor coding. If you're willing to put up with that, you're in for a good game. Not a great game, just a good one. Expand
  96. Mar 26, 2013
    Plug in a controller, install the DSfix mod to play the game at 60fps, and enjoy this game as it was meant to be played. The Dark Souls/Demon's Souls games are some of my favorite games of all time. The challenge is very rewarding. The story isn't spoon-fed to the player like most other games out there. Instead, the player needs to be observant, investigate by talking to npcs, and look atPlug in a controller, install the DSfix mod to play the game at 60fps, and enjoy this game as it was meant to be played. The Dark Souls/Demon's Souls games are some of my favorite games of all time. The challenge is very rewarding. The story isn't spoon-fed to the player like most other games out there. Instead, the player needs to be observant, investigate by talking to npcs, and look at item descriptions to uncover the many gems about the Dark Souls world. I have played this game on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. I will say the PC version is the best if you go through the 5 minutes of work to polish this game by installing dsfix. Make sure you read the readme before installing the mod! The only flaw this game has is the networking. It can be very difficult to connect to your friends worlds, but once you connect to them once, it is a lot easier to connect again. Expand
  97. Jul 21, 2013
    seriously, I cannot understand the fanboys!

yes, the game can be great at times, I liked many NPC, the artstyle and the story, sure. OF COURSE, everybody knew it would be a port... (that's what fanboys keep saying) only problem: there is ports and there is ports! meaning, better and worse ports this game is of the latter kind, it is "the WORST"! yeah, it's from a small developer
    seriously, I cannot understand the fanboys!

yeah, it's from a small developer and they didn't have money or manpowert to make it better.... says the fanboy.
    **** is what I say! keyboard mouse implementation isn't exactly rocket sience; higher resoultion textures aren't either! the fact that it took only days, hefore a FAN made a high-res pack is all you have to know.

this port is a pure money-grab! I wish they wouldn't have ported this title so extremely lazy and sloppy!

It is a straight YOU!" to all PC gamers, an acceptable port would have taken ZERO more money and probably 2-4 days more.
  98. Mar 15, 2015
    I am so dissapointed by this game. I thought it would be one of the best console game, maybe it is, but is this great?
    1st: I am not complaining about the ridiculous port from console to PC: with some mods this is technically not bad. Ok, there are some things, that is normal and great in PC games: free saving for example: I dont want to go through all the same enemies all over again, because I am killed by a boss, what is normal until you know the strategie.
    Now the game itself: Storytelling is so bad, I needed to search in internet to understand, that the story is... this never happened to me before. Gameplay...Hack n slay can be fun, but not here: you re doing the same little things million of time just to be perfect and not be killed... so often. Graphic + Sound: perfect. After about 15 hours I had enough and installed a PC game from 1997, that is better in my eyes: Fallout 1.
  99. Mar 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dark Souls is a really interesting game but one hell of a difficult one.
    Sadly this difficulty doesn't always come from the tactics-based bosses and areas but more from the bad camera angles,framerates and collision boxes.

Focusing an enemy will sometimes cause the camera to go full potato and twist around like crazy; pointing to the sky, the ground or to some enemy who is way too far away to be an actual threat.
    Sometimes one enemy will be able to lock you against a wall and make you unable to move or dodge attacks which gets really annoying if you fight a group of foes. There are some enemies (especially the mosquitos in Blighttown) who may get damage from attacks missing them but will completely ignore attacks that go right through them.
    Additionally this game is really poorly ported to the PC. The standard controls make almost no sense and it takes very long to find working keybindings. The mouse cursor will always be visible if you don't install a mod which hides him (like DSfix).
    The framerate in many areas (mainly Blighttown, Sen's Fortress and the Kiln Of The First Flame) is terrible on older PCs like mine (~15 FPS), while in other areas I got framerates of around 100 FPS without any problem.

Overall Dark Souls is an excellent game but the PC version is haunted by way too many problems to be actually enjoyable throughout the entire game.
  100. Sep 19, 2013
    Let me clear things up for the people that are complaining, dark souls was not made for the PC originally and was ported from the console version, people are complaining about the graphics, well you own a computer, take 2 minutes out of your time and download and install DSfix and boom, lovely graphics, 60fps which you can lock if you want, it's not meant to be played with a mouse andLet me clear things up for the people that are complaining, dark souls was not made for the PC originally and was ported from the console version, people are complaining about the graphics, well you own a computer, take 2 minutes out of your time and download and install DSfix and boom, lovely graphics, 60fps which you can lock if you want, it's not meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard because once again, it's a console port and it was made by FromSoftware for people who wished to have it on PC, quite a while after the console version was released. Now for the game itself, the gameplay mechanics are wonderful and the game is deep and challenging, people give it a bad rep because they have no patience and are used to the linear hack and slash two hit kills gameplay they get from other sword and shield games (the type that take about 2 hours to complete), the story is incredibly deep and is purposely shrouded in mystery in order for the player to discover it and see the depth and journey for himself instead of handing it out on a silver platter. It's a masterpiece of a game, unrivaled by any other RPG to date. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 42 Critic Reviews

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    The irony is that the PC version could have been much better than the PS3/360 ones, with higher resolutions to make the textures look better, a cornucopia of mods and/or an active (in theory at least) community. But FROM ruined it all (with the assistance of Games for Windows Live). It’s a shame really, if we at least had just a decent port (or a better infrastructure for a less appalling multiplayer mode), Dark Souls could have been one of the best RPG for the PC. [November 2012]
  2. Nov 19, 2012
    Not often do you see a game that is equally rewarding as it is frustrating; and it's not because the game is unfair.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 29, 2012
    Dark Souls returns the hardcore elements back to action RPGs – heavy focus on uncompromising fight mechanics and absolute freedom in hero profiling. The price of this game is not for everyone. [Oct 2012]