• Publisher: Asmodee
7.0

1. Jan 9, 2022
    Incredibly boring.

Incredibly boring.

For context I'm a huge strategy, tactics and rpg nerd having sunk thousands of hours into these formats since 1990. Gloomhaven takes the tactical rpg template and adds layer upon layer of annoying, contrived mechanics in order to create difficulty but which just reduce the fun factor instead. The core culprit is the card burn system which means you run out of actions over time. The abilities are already weak (like attack at range for 2 damage.. which has a significant chance to be a 1 or 0 due to combat rolls), do on top of being weak are also scarce.

I get the need to create tension and pressure but the system chosen here reduces fun an increased tedium. Exhaustion (which is when you run out of cards) could have instead been a resource that you spend on moves, like energy.

The end result is that it can take two hours to complete a tiny fight in 2 rooms.

Even if you are victorious, it feels like a job. Like work. Without any of the satisfaction that other tactical fighters deliver.

If you love strategy and tactics and are thinking about buying, go watch one of the 3 hour YouTube walkthroughs of a single tiny scenario, where one turn sometimes takes 15 minutes just to decide which cards to burn, and imagine if that's how you want to spend 3 hours. If so go for it
  2. Jan 18, 2022
    It's a perfect copy of the board game. The game is a lot faster as there is no set up or moving the enemy. You'll need a group of experienced players and discord to play it properly. Oh, and a bottle of red wine will help things nicely.
  3. Nov 7, 2021
    As of early November 2021, this game was clearly launched prematurely. At launch, it had a HUGE number of multiplayer / co-op issues, and a couple weeks later, there are quite a few bugs and issues with the scenarios later in the campaign. This game has a lot of potential, but the devs really need to fix the bugs, and fix the game as it is not in a great place right now.
  4. Nov 8, 2021
    Gloomhaven is a great game for anyone looking for a tactical, turn-based dungeon crawler.
  5. Sep 25, 2022
    Hardly recommended game. It forces player to do only one strategy otherwise you lose scenarios. Also it is almost impossible to win scenarios even on the lowest difficulty. Only for masochists.
  6. Nov 8, 2021
    As a big fan of the board game who primarily plays solo, this game is amazing to have (this game can be played in multiplayer as well, but I have limited experience with that so I can't speak to it personally). The time/effort saved by not having to manage the monsters means I can do 2-3 scenarios here for every one scenario I would have done on Tabletop Simulator. Additionally, the gameAs a big fan of the board game who primarily plays solo, this game is amazing to have (this game can be played in multiplayer as well, but I have limited experience with that so I can't speak to it personally). The time/effort saved by not having to manage the monsters means I can do 2-3 scenarios here for every one scenario I would have done on Tabletop Simulator. Additionally, the game looks good, which is certainly pleasant. And the extent to which the game recaptures and recreates the board game campaign is more faithful than I ever could have imagined it would be.

If you've never played the board game and have no idea what I'm talking about, whether this game is interesting to you or not is just going to depend on whether you like turn-based tactical dungeon crawlers. Gloomhaven is probably the best turn-based tactical dungeon crawler of all time. Do note that this is less RPG and more "puzzle" than you probably expect. It's not a puzzle in the sense that you have to solve pre-created puzzles, but rather the stamina and action system will make turns and scenarios into combat/optimization puzzles. You won't be rushing in with your tank, healing them with your healer, and dpsing with your damage-dealers. You'll evaluate the board and try to figure out the best way to get through the room, killing the enemies while taking as little damage as possible and expending as few resources as possible.

All that being said, there are some RPG-like elements in the sense of the campaign progress: you earn gold and experience with which you improve your character over time. Additionally, you'll improve the town itself over time, which unlocks additional items for purchase. Most significantly, your characters will all have life goals and when they complete them, you'll unlock completely new classes to play (there are 6 starting classes and 11 locked classes). The mechanics of most classes are so significantly different that the novelty and excitement of unlocking and getting to try these new, different classes is amazing.

So that's all of the good, how about the bad? Well, honestly, at this point, just bugs. Lots and lots and lots of bugs. In about 40 hours of play since the campaign released, I encounter on average one bug per scenario. They are pretty much never game-breaking or scenario-ruining bugs, but they are definitely there. Additionally, many scenarios have special rules that aren't adequately explained in the UI currently. I know that both of these issues are currently being heavily worked on and the company plans on continuing to support the game for a long time, so I'm sure these problems will be resolved, but for now they do drag the score down a bit unfortunately. Regardless, I still would not hesitate to recommend this game, and the longer it's been since this review was written that you're reading it, the more likely the game is even better than the assessment I gave here.
  7. May 18, 2022
    Good game from a superb tabletop Game.
    Keep in mind that is a simulation of a board-game...so it isn't like a deep massive strategic videogame for pc.
    It's a good substitute if you can't play the tabletop version of if you want to learn some of the rules of the game. Nice deal if you want to try a cheaper version before buiyng the tabletop game. it could cost a little less maybe
    Good game from a superb tabletop Game.
    Nice deal if you want to try a cheaper version before buiyng the tabletop game.
    it could cost a little less maybe ...and needs some patches to correct some issues ....and it's missing other player interaction....but still a good product
  8. Oct 21, 2022
    It is really hard even at friendly difficulty level. I can see its appeals, just not for me.
  9. Jan 23, 2022
    It is a perspective of someone that have never been played the board game, and likes deep and difficult turned-based strategy games (eg. xcom, darkest dungeon).

Pros: - lots of strategic depth - decent objective variety, several fairly different bossfights - 12 very different and deep classes to play - a lot of content to play. There is a lot of these turned-based-deck-based-like

Pros:
    - lots of strategic depth
    - decent objective variety, several fairly different bossfights
    - 12 very different and deep classes to play
    - a lot of content to play. There is a lot of these turned-based-deck-based-like strategy games mowadays with decent ideas, but most of them run out of interesting possibilities in 20-30 hours for me (eg. slay the spire, coordian quest, tainted grail). This game is much more in the 100+ hour league.

Cons:
    - The narrator of the story is so **** bad and annoying I muted after the first hour.
    - The "choice" system between destinations is a bad joke and would be better to completely left out. Feels random, casuless, and meaningless.
    - there are some elements of the game that is borderline needlessly complex. I am the kind of person who is really into that **** so I put up with most of them after a while, but my bet is that most players would probably find them annoying or maybe unbearable.
    - First and foremost the looting system. You don't get the gold drop by default rather you have to end your turns on the hex where the gold is (every single enemy drops it so that means a lot of playing around with this if you want to get any money). You also have special cards that can collect loot from a bit larger range, so all in all this kindof adds a new layer to things, either you sacrifice some battle cards in order to bring more of these utilities, but still feels kindof a drag.

Summary:
    All in all I liked the game very much. After a couple of hours of Guildmaster mode I played through the campaign on the hardest difficulty. (I used the restart round option a lot to see enemy intent). I was about to give the game an 8, but after writing the review I came to the conclusion that it would be anfair with the truley shining pieces of the genre (XCOM, Divinity 2, Darkest Dungeon). But it is an enjoyable game, and I would recommend it if the pros and cons I wrote feels like a good trade for you.
  10. Nov 8, 2021
    As a super fan of the board game I have to tip my hat to the devs for an outstanding effort in bringing the game to life. It’s not easy translating a game this fiddly in both rules and mechanics to the screen, but for the most part they have done an excellent job and in some areas even over delivered. My experience is heavily influenced by my time with the board game which does mean someAs a super fan of the board game I have to tip my hat to the devs for an outstanding effort in bringing the game to life. It’s not easy translating a game this fiddly in both rules and mechanics to the screen, but for the most part they have done an excellent job and in some areas even over delivered. My experience is heavily influenced by my time with the board game which does mean some small bugs or rules inconsistencies don’t pass me by unnoticed. There’s nothing game breaking, but a veteran of the board game can find nits to pick. The game isn’t quite perfect in this area, but the devs have communicated excellently throughout early access and now into release and continue to improve the game with weekly patches, so I don’t expect these issues to persist much longer. Gloomhaven is notorious in the board game world as a brutal, unforgiving, and deeply strategic game. This is not a jolly romp through a dungeon like similar titles. It is instead a thoughtful action management game that will challenge you right from scenario 1. You have to pick your fights and your actions carefully, and the game often takes on a more puzzly feel as you try to react and deal with the threats as presented. This makes it very unique in the dungeon crawl genre, and people used to a more traditional DnD style system will be in for a shock. Often the answer is not to always run in and swing your axe if you are a warrior for example. Gloomhaven really rewards thoughtful play making it difficult at first to grasp for some players. For those with a bit of patience and willingness to learn there’s an ocean of depth here to explore, but those of you looking for a more casual affair might find the game difficult and sometimes frustrating. I adore this game in any form, but I can safely say that Digital (when bug free) is the best way to play Gloomhaven in my eyes. Expand
  11. Nov 8, 2021
    A deep, challenging turn based strategy game. Endless possibilities allow for players to make impactful decisions for the benefit, or detriment, of the team. A faithful recreation of the physical board game with wonderful 3d graphics, great voice acting, and intuitive menuing. I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes the physical game. No need to fuss around with the components.A deep, challenging turn based strategy game. Endless possibilities allow for players to make impactful decisions for the benefit, or detriment, of the team. A faithful recreation of the physical board game with wonderful 3d graphics, great voice acting, and intuitive menuing. I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes the physical game. No need to fuss around with the components. Very minor bug issues, but developer has been very responsive in their discord. Overall, very, very happy with the game! Expand
  12. Nov 8, 2021
    A faithful adaptation of the board game, I’ve put well over 500 hours into it during early access and I expect I’ll easily put another 500 in during the campaign. While it’s not without the occasional bug, the dev team has been great about clearing these quickly. I’d highly recommend this game to any fans of strategy and legacy board games. Well worth the price of admission!
  13. Nov 9, 2021
    This is a great strategic game. It is really fun to explore with friends. There are really fun puzzles to solve as not all scenarios are designed to just kill all ennemies. It feels really rewarding when you succeed a challenging scenario. I also fin it great that it is faster to setup a scenario, when compared to the board game. You can really just jump in the game very fast, on PC.This is a great strategic game. It is really fun to explore with friends. There are really fun puzzles to solve as not all scenarios are designed to just kill all ennemies. It feels really rewarding when you succeed a challenging scenario. I also fin it great that it is faster to setup a scenario, when compared to the board game. You can really just jump in the game very fast, on PC.

The game still has a few bugs tho. I still give it 10/10 since it saves every round. When it softlocks, you can really easily return to where you were. I believe in the team and they will solve the few bugs really soon.
  14. Nov 9, 2021
    I think the board game is a 10/10 despite not being perfect and this implementation is excellent in almost all aspects. However, I think a few improvements could be made for new people coming in to spell things out clearer to them. However, it's a super fun way to play gloomhaven - guildmaster mode offers even more depth, and the characters you love (and maybe don't so much love) are allI think the board game is a 10/10 despite not being perfect and this implementation is excellent in almost all aspects. However, I think a few improvements could be made for new people coming in to spell things out clearer to them. However, it's a super fun way to play gloomhaven - guildmaster mode offers even more depth, and the characters you love (and maybe don't so much love) are all there to play as. Highly recommend for anyone who likes tactical card combat or fun co-op games. Expand
  15. Nov 9, 2021
    Faithful adaptation of one of the best board games ever made. Despite some bugs, overall and excellent experience solo and multiplayer.
  16. Nov 9, 2021
    Consider this a 9 once every single bug is gone, a 9.5 once additional content drops and a 100/10 if FFS adds in something similar to the contents of Envelope X. Given their history of working with the community, of the fan made classes would be awsome to see official release.
    A faithful adaptation of the BASE (and only base) version of the original boardgame developed after a lengthy beta in colaboration with the fans the original author of the boardgame. It's still abit buggy in (seemingly random sometimes) places at launch but no doubt these will be iron out swiftly. Gameplay wise this is pseudo - legacy style boardgame dungeo crawler translated to the digital, if you're a fan of Darkest Dungeon or Slay the Spire and it's ilk, you're going to have a toroughly enjoyable time with this.
  17. Dec 3, 2021
    It feels like the real game and much cheaper but there is just something about the board game that feels better.
  18. May 9, 2022
    Gloomhaven digital is an outstanding implementation of the highest rated board game of all time as per boardgamegeek.com, which won also the board game digital adaptation of the year 2021 award. I played the boardgame for hundreds of hours before getting the digital version, so my biggest concern was if this could lure me into replaying the boardgame campaign another time. it did by addingGloomhaven digital is an outstanding implementation of the highest rated board game of all time as per boardgamegeek.com, which won also the board game digital adaptation of the year 2021 award. I played the boardgame for hundreds of hours before getting the digital version, so my biggest concern was if this could lure me into replaying the boardgame campaign another time. it did by adding a whole new game mode and smaller optimizations such as reworked balancing.

I've not encountered the omnipresent bugs mentioned in other reviews here, so I assume they have been patched in the meantime.
  19. Aug 12, 2022
    definitely a perfect implementation of the board game. 10/10 in every aspect of the game. you get the full rig dungeon crawler experience here

Generally favorable reviews - based on 13 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 18, 2022
    Even if you have never heard of the legendary board game Gloomhaven, you should not miss its digital adaptation. If you enjoy ingenious turn-based strategies and dark fantasy, Gloomhaven is the game for you. In addition, thanks to multiplayer, you don't have to go on dangerous expeditions alone, and thanks to the support of creating new scenarios, the game offers an endless number of adventures and rotten dungeons.
  2. Nov 30, 2021
    The best-reviewed board game in the world gets its own digital adaptation - and it’s excellent. The board game comes to life thanks to beautiful animations and sounds. This is a true treat for any strategy game enthusiast.
  3. Nov 22, 2021
    Gloomhaven tries to bring the experience of the board game on our screens, but fails to recreate the feel of being around a table. The game, although very loyal to the source, lacks pacing and the missions (very repetitive after a while), even at the lowest levels, are incredibly hard and for the most part frustrating. It is definitely overwhelming for a new player, and way too much relying on RNG for a good result. A good opportunity that sadly doesn’t really deliver.