8.0

1. Jan 27, 2018
    iconoclast is one my favorite metroidvania
    Game duration approximately 16 hours , each boss has his way of defeating exquisite level design and a well-balanced difficulty .
    beautiful pixel art design and an incredible story and very well achieved. although it is linear, it is quite enjoyable to explore "of course if you are one of those who want to obtain 100%" delight for maniacal
    iconoclast is one my favorite metroidvania
    beautiful pixel art design and an incredible story and very well achieved.

delight for maniacal metroidvania fans
  2. Jan 26, 2018
    Iconoclasts is good and bad for all of the wrong reasons. It aims to be a Metroidvania, but is a mostly linear game, its platforming sections are really simple and the backtracking can be horrendous sometimes. However, the game does shine in its story, with interesting characters and a plot that keeps you playing wanting to see what happens next. The combat can be weird sometimes, with theIconoclasts is good and bad for all of the wrong reasons. It aims to be a Metroidvania, but is a mostly linear game, its platforming sections are really simple and the backtracking can be horrendous sometimes. However, the game does shine in its story, with interesting characters and a plot that keeps you playing wanting to see what happens next. The combat can be weird sometimes, with the player trying to figure out how to beat some enemies, but gets really good at boss fights, which are all very creative and memorable. Expand
  3. Aug 7, 2018
    In terms of gameplay, Iconoclasts focuses more on puzzles than on platforming and action, although it has those too. However the main draws of this game are its gorgeous pixel art graphics and its strong story. The narrative has much better characterization and plot than almost any other 'metroidvania'.
    There is one thing I don't like about the game, and that's the boss battles. I played on hard mode, and the bosses were extremely tedious trial-and-error puzzles where you die in 3-5 hits and have to retry over and over again before you realize what you're supposed to do. It's really not dependent on your skill with the controls.
    There is one particular boss near the end of the game that has multiple forms, and I was so pissed that there is no checkpoint between the first and second form. It was SO tedious. The game almost left a bad taste because of that, however, the last handful of bosses were much better, not nearly as annoying as most of the game. So to me the game redeemed itself at the end.
  4. Apr 30, 2018
    What an adventure! BEST game i've played in years! So far for me it is best game of 2018. Gorgeous art style (best pixelart I've ever seen) very good level design, good interesting story, Charming characters and animation .... oh, this animation! And battles with bosses is something! It's not just a battle, it's like a little puzzle. Dumb spam does not work. Iconoclasts one of those gamesWhat an adventure! BEST game i've played in years! So far for me it is best game of 2018. Gorgeous art style (best pixelart I've ever seen) very good level design, good interesting story, Charming characters and animation .... oh, this animation! And battles with bosses is something! It's not just a battle, it's like a little puzzle. Dumb spam does not work. Iconoclasts one of those games which you regret when they over. Expand
  5. Apr 12, 2018
    This game remind me why i'm playing video game
    so clean and neat and enjoyable game
  6. Feb 13, 2018
    Pros:
    -Great boss fights
    -Interesting story and world -Beautiful pixel art -Good characters OKS: -Environmental puzzles -Pretty much all combat that isn't a boss fight CONS -Writing can be bad at times. Apparently the writer isn't a native English speaker and it shows. Some would be heavy moments fall flat because of it. -Environmental puzzles really aren't my thing. Even
    Pros:
    -Great boss fights
    -Interesting story and world
    -Beautiful pixel art
    -Good characters

OKS:
    -Environmental puzzles
    -Pretty much all combat that isn't a boss fight

CONS
    -Environmental puzzles really aren't my thing. Even though it's not a fault of the game in my subjective opinion it kinda brought it down.
  7. Jan 28, 2018
    The game is fantastic at the first hours and gets slightly worst every passing moment. The game iitself is good but what it tries to do is too confusing and basic, the history has many flaws and could be reviewed for a better storytelling, this is not a metroidvania because it only touches itself at the concept, the gameplay has way too much flaws once you get deep into it.

I would play

I would play the game again for the art itself, it's enough to make the game positive in my opinion and the developer should be proud of what the game looks.
  8. Nov 30, 2018
    A neat gameplay and likable booses. Its history is intriguing and stimulating. Characters are endearing. A platform game like no more.
  9. Aug 3, 2019
    Este jogo é simplesmente LINDO. Tudo nele me fez ficar apaixonado por este universo maravilhoso.
  10. May 14, 2018
    Pros:
    +Great boss design, no two bosses feel the same and they are all high quality.
    +The art looks amazing. +The difficult puzzles aren't needed to progress but are all tied to collectibles which aren't needed to progress so you can choose to 100% the game if you like the extra difficulty or try for a straight completion if you just want to enjoy the game as is. Cons: -The
    Pros:
    +Great boss design, no two bosses feel the same and they are all high quality.

+The art looks amazing.

Cons:
    -The objective hints can be obscure at times.

-picking blocks up requires you to stand on top of them which can be frustrating at times.

-sometimes it is hard to tell that you aren't doing a puzzle properly because it is hard to tell if a block won't fit through an area or you just keep missing it with your throws.

- certain time constraints on certain puzzles are really tight requiring pretty tight movement.
  11. Aug 15, 2019
    It was ok, but i wouldnt play it ever againt. its not wow! But as I said. its preaty ok :)
  12. Jul 21, 2018
    i think this is a pretty good game, it's have it's flawns like being pretty linear and lack cluster plot, but overall the awesome boss fights, tight gameplay and pretty graphics keep it me playing this game.

when played the first 8-9 hours of the game i was extremely hooked , and i would give it a 10, but after that the game start doing a lot of exposition dumps. despise that i still

despise that i still think this game is a must have
  13. Dec 22, 2019
    A Great game with characters strongly developped, with great animations, music, gameplay and bosses ! A Lore and a universe that is refreshing and touched my heart deeply ! And, juste one men make this game omg great job to Joakim Sandberg for having working 7 years on it, it worth it !
  14. Oct 5, 2018
    Iconoclasts é um jogo que, tendo seu enredo como foco, trata de assuntos como fé, opressão, exploração de outros povos e preconceito. Além disso, ainda triunfa nos aspectos técnicos, a despeito de algumas escolhas duvidosas de design. Joakim Sandberg está de parabéns por, sozinho, conseguir criar um dos melhores jogos do ano.
  15. Dec 22, 2020
    This game is a perfect example of what a high-quality and interesting game of this genre should be. And for me personally - one of the best and favorite games in general of all I've played. And I only relatively recently got acquainted with such games as platformers and indie games.
    ...
    ...
    1) Metroidvania/platformers at its best view - collecting items, searching for secrets (finding a couple of secret bosses), several side-quests, upgrading your character and weapons, returning to past locations and places previously inaccessible for visiting, smooth and responsive controls.
    2) "Pixel art" - it's just really nice. There are no particularly beautiful details, but as for one person as creator, and for this kind of game - it's on a solid quality level. In fact, in many places it is even more than “just nice”, and it is clear that the author has tried his best, and loves his project.
    3) Music - it's amazing. Very often, the sound of the locations is quite simple and quickly gets boring, but no less often - it is a very pleasant and catchy melody, even if it is "pixelated", so to speak. Each voice acting of the battle, dialogues, events, some zones is ideally in its place. Especially one particular melody that you can listen and listen to for a very long time after the game... in the game's album it is called Moonlight(VS Ivory Beast). This melody is simply a masterpiece.
    4) Bosses - All, except for a couple of the latter, are not particularly difficult, right after you understand "which points to hit", but all of them are unique. And all of them are interesting. There are more than 20 of them, but it's even interesting, I wanted to find the next boss as soon as possible.
    5) Plot and dialogues. That's it... here is what can be called the cornerstone of the game, for which it is definitely worth buying. Starting to play, I thought about another story about "good and evil" or something like that. But the further you go, the more seriously the story of the World, characters, their relationships, problems and their solutions are revealed. The author wrote that he made the plot of the game as it was created, without a script, which inspires respect for how it turned out. Excellent presentation of various aspects of politics, religion, philosophy, personal problems with finding oneself in the World. And the dialogues and humor ... well, they are quite simple, but at the same time very "comfortable", or something like that.
    ... Just one person, albeit after many years, created a game masterpiece that can be advised both to game veterans and to those who are just getting acquainted with games in general, or with the platformer genre in particular. This is no less than 10 out of 10.
    ... The only thing that I really didn't like was the "pyramid-headed sisters". This is a twin secret boss that is inadequately hard(accidentally or not). In a small room, without dodging, the player will suffer especially in those moments when one of them is preparing to make a strong attack, and the second one will run to hit you... 100% of receiving damage at your face. But since this is a secret boss, rare to find and not mandatory - for me it will not affect on the rating.
  16. Jun 21, 2020
    A cute TechnoFantasy adventure with Metroidvania elements. Sometimes it is cruel and tragic but always looks alive. Works perfect on Ubuntu 18.04. Notebook with Intel® HD Graphics 4400 is enough. Probably remapping keys is a good idea.
  17. Dec 6, 2020
    Iconoclast est un metroidvania en pixel art vraiment magnifique mêlant action, plateforme et énigme, avec une trame très intéressante et réfléchi. Les énigmes/combats sont aussi très plaisants. Un réel coup de coeur pour moi

Generally favorable reviews - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. PC PowerPlay
    Apr 5, 2018
    A retro game that delivers more wonderful gameplay than nostalgia. [Issue#270, p.58]
  2. Mar 29, 2018
    Don't let first impressions fool you. Beneath the bright colours and initially sunny disposition of Iconoclasts lies a game that is going to challenge you in a variety of ways. It will force the best from your quick-twitch-skills, with fast-paced and frenetic combat. This is an experience that cannot be missed by fans of both 2D action platformers, or by those seeking a greater level of mental and ideological engagement.
  3. Feb 26, 2018
    Multi-faceted 2D pixel platformer that balances its confusing narrative with great level design, tricky puzzles & neat action.