7.3

1. May 24, 2020
    If you want a new kind of rpg, with a deep story, lots of content and innovative gameplay then you need to find another game.

The core concept of the game (being a shark, evolving and killing you way to your final form) is pretty fun and the gameplay is easy to master but that is all that this game can be : a funny short experience. The game has an almost non-existing story and

The game has an almost non-existing story and revolve around 2 types of sub-quests and 3 types of collectibles for its 8 areas. Even the original content is poor : you will only be able to evolve in 3 types of shark
  2. May 24, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Первые 15% игры сложные, сражения тяжёлые. НО игра кажется увлекательной.
    Начиная с 3 зоны чувствуется лютый гринд, но он не такой тяжёлый как в начале.

Боевая система простая до ужаса, кусай-уворачивайся.
    Элементы брони открываются почти в самом конце игры.
    Пассивные скиллы абсолютно бесполезны.

Прошёл игру на 100% за 12 часов. Весь сюжет укладывается в 4-5 кат сцен.

По началу нравилось, в середине кажется что разработчикам надоело и они решили кое-как доделать игру, лишь бы был какой-то конец.
    Эндгейма - нет.
  3. May 23, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Though I was very hyped about this game, it kind of let me down. Yes it was fun, but there was a few gripes I had that infuriated me. From capping your level at 30 when you’re supposed to be the king Of the ocean and having enemies higher level than you just felt wrong. Yes you had powers (and I’ll get into that more in a few) but that still doesn’t discount not feeling like the king of the ocean as you should. The controls began to hinder the gameplay and without a full lock on mechanic to enemies, it hurt the gameplay. With a few patches they could change this problem, but as of now this is my rating. The last thing I’ll say is that the power set seemed off, not to mention minimal. 5 types of powers to acquire would have made it a much more enjoyable game, with collecting license plates for some and cashes for another, it just seemed perfect to go along with the location markers for shadow powers. I sort of liked electric and bone, but shadow powers (besides the teeth) seemed awful. Poison is always a terrible game mechanic IMO. If the electric focused more on stun and damage, the shadow should have focused on stealth and damage, giving more damage on initial attacks, maybe even possible one shots with enough base damage. Two more power sets would have equaled out in the price for this game, maybe even a higher price point if it felt good. You’re a water creature, and tidal waves and controlling the water just would have felt right. Creating whirlpools and cyclones to help with boat fights. The bone felt like a damaging tank, electric felt like damaging stun machine, and the shadow should have felt like an assassin, but it didn’t. With two more avenues, it could have been an amazing game. Maybe an implementation of a skill tree would have solved a bunch of problems. I could say a ton more, but all I will say is I hope they’re listening to the reviews, because I could see myself getting another game like this, if they made a sequel. Maybe all prehistoric sea creatures would be fun, living through the ages. Anyway just a thought. I’m a writer, so if they want to hit me up for the sequel I’d be glad to help XD (shameless plug) Expand
  4. May 24, 2020
    Extremely repetitive boring game, the novelty of being a shark wears off after about 2 hours. If you enjoy spamming attack and then doing the same 3 mission types over and over and over then this is a game for you. Story is pretty terrible and comes to such an abrupt ending you wonder why they even bothered to include it.

AI is terrible, you jump on land and then all the humans just

AI is terrible, you jump on land and then all the humans just stand in place screaming. The combat is dreadful, you have a few attacks but when you realise that spamming attack is the most effective means of attack it makes the rest of the abilities moot.

Go and kill ten fish, go and kill 10 humans, go and kill 10 fish back over there etc etc etc. If you enjoy this then by all means play it, if however you want something that doesn't get boring within 2 hours go and play something else.
  5. May 23, 2020
    If you get through this game without getting motion sick, you have a stronger stomach than I. This game needs way less camera shake. The plot is terrible. Avoid, I'd say.
  6. May 23, 2020
    It's bad. Controls are not responsive, every battle is too chaotic with rapid camera movement, sloppy animations and no brain work involved at all. Pretty much every quest is the same like eat 10 fishes A, eat 10 fishes B, kill 10 men here, kill 10 men there etc. Also performance is a mess, FPS drops quite often and sometimes (rarely) the game just crashes. It can be fun, but not for long.It's bad. Controls are not responsive, every battle is too chaotic with rapid camera movement, sloppy animations and no brain work involved at all. Pretty much every quest is the same like eat 10 fishes A, eat 10 fishes B, kill 10 men here, kill 10 men there etc. Also performance is a mess, FPS drops quite often and sometimes (rarely) the game just crashes. It can be fun, but not for long. Can't recommend buying at full price. Expand
  7. May 24, 2020
    Nice game. It's the first game of such kind that I've ever played. I get a lot of fun just by swimming and eating fauna and people. Yes, it lacks content however there are some "fantasy"-like features. Not all gamers will like it. Nevertheless it's worth spending money and time.
  8. May 23, 2020
    Fun game to relax and spend some time. It is short - like 8-10h to complete fully and there is nothing to do once you competed all objectives and get all collectibles, but those 8-10h will be full of fun and action
  9. May 23, 2020
    I've played for 2 hours so far. The level progression is pretty bad and poorly planned. 90% of the missions they give you at level 1 are to kill level 8 or level 15 enemies. So you have to grind and explore a lot. You get 1 power at level 2. I'm level 7 now and I still haven't gotten anything new since level 2 in terms of powers or abilities. I still can't complete some of the firstI've played for 2 hours so far. The level progression is pretty bad and poorly planned. 90% of the missions they give you at level 1 are to kill level 8 or level 15 enemies. So you have to grind and explore a lot. You get 1 power at level 2. I'm level 7 now and I still haven't gotten anything new since level 2 in terms of powers or abilities. I still can't complete some of the first missions because they are against gangs of level 8s. Once I hit 6 I felt confident enough to tackle level 8 enemies, but that's when the level 8s start showing up in groups. It's easy to avoid the 8s and feed and complete objectives, but it just all feels very poorly planned and executed. Some new powers or abilities to explore would break up the monotony.

The Unreal engine crashed once in 2 hours. It's fairly stable and the graphics are good. The core mechanics work fine, and it competently meets the objective of a shark simulator.

If you are on the fence about this game and thinking "eating fish may get repetitive, but maybe there are some cool hooks and twists to keep things interesting", maybe pass or wait for a sale.
  10. May 23, 2020
    Boring, glitched, outdated, ugly graphics and extremely repetitive.
    Also EGS exclusive. Sorry but no.
  11. May 24, 2020
    It's rinse and repeat stuff, got bored within 2-3 hrs. Some time game just crashes for no apparent reason. should have waited for sale.
  12. May 22, 2020
    Graphic is ok, idea of the game(Saints Row shark bad ass) and fun is great. Just love it :)
  13. May 23, 2020
    Honestly I have not had this much fun in a game in a long ass time. It does has its flaws mostly with the lock on system, and starting in the beginning the beginning is hard but its learning. Me I nearly 100% the game while playing through it its just so fun. And exploring and unlocking the new body parts. So cool! And the story isn't half bad either. I didn't know how it would end but itsHonestly I have not had this much fun in a game in a long ass time. It does has its flaws mostly with the lock on system, and starting in the beginning the beginning is hard but its learning. Me I nearly 100% the game while playing through it its just so fun. And exploring and unlocking the new body parts. So cool! And the story isn't half bad either. I didn't know how it would end but its so kind of a predicted ending as well if u read books often. And tons of references from, rick and morty, happy Gilmore, jaws (obviously), subnatica ect, its awesome. It's like a beat em up but you're a shark. I love this game honestly and I would not be surprised to see am expansion dlc on this Expand
  14. May 23, 2020
    awesome game, lost of fun. Just buy it. its 26€ in epic store now. haven't had so much fun since years. It's not a sophisticated game and will be boing after a while but a great game for some man-eating in between breaks^^
  15. May 24, 2020
    If you want to be an underwater killing machine for 10 hours, terrorising stupid tourists and gradually growing from baby to mega shark with increasingly ridiculous super powers, this is for you. It's a relatively simple game that is stupidly good fun, but rather limited in scope and content.
  16. May 23, 2020
    Surprisingly amazing and fun game, very creative, interesting mechanics, action filled and full of silly jokes. The rpg system where you can see you shark grow and upgrade from a little baby to an ancient monster is incredible. I really had a great time playing. But of course, it has some problems, like really annoying loads, some bugs, and camera control in battle sometimes is a bitSurprisingly amazing and fun game, very creative, interesting mechanics, action filled and full of silly jokes. The rpg system where you can see you shark grow and upgrade from a little baby to an ancient monster is incredible. I really had a great time playing. But of course, it has some problems, like really annoying loads, some bugs, and camera control in battle sometimes is a bit confuse. But it’s still a really fun game to play and pass the time. Expand
  17. May 22, 2020
    Looks Stunning! Feels good on controls and is pure mindless fun! Casual gaming at it's finest.
  18. May 23, 2020
    My thoughts:
    1) The game is not a full-fleshed out AAA game, nor is it priced as such with a $40 pricetag
    2) You are a shark 3) You can jump up onto the beach, drag people into the water and then tailwhip them 20 feet into the air. 4) How could this possibly be a waste of 10 hours and $40 bucks? 5) This game is exactly what you think it is from watching the trailer. It is cotton
    My thoughts:
    2) You are a shark
    4) How could this possibly be a waste of 10 hours and $40 bucks?
    5) This game is exactly what you think it is from watching the trailer. It is cotton candy for your brain. It is the Jersey shore of open world shark games.

This is not a great game... I don't think the developers think this a great game. I don't think anyone who purchased the game expected it to be a great game. So what you get is a game that is true to itself, and doesn't try to be something it is not. Pick it up, or wait for a discount, can't go wrong either way. You are going to have about 8-15 hours of really good entertainment.
  19. May 24, 2020
    Una entretenida experiencia de juego. aunque bastante corta se disfruto al maximo.

Gráficas: realmente el motor gráfico de unreal hace ver las escenas de gore bastantes llamativas , como también los escenarios dan una inmersión total a la escenificación de un depredador del océano. Gameplay: bastante amigable con una ruta de niveles por zona, nada que un jugador no experimentado no

Gameplay: bastante amigable con una ruta de niveles por zona, nada que un jugador no experimentado no pueda vencer. Las evoluciones son bastante llamativas y sus poderes te hacen sentir el amo del océano.

Curiosidades: maneater tienen bastantes referencias a la cultura pop o geek que te hacen querer saber que mas te puedes encontrar.

Puntos Negativos: es un juego bastante corto , como tambien quede con ganas de tener la posibilidad de hacer otras razas de tiburones y algunas evoluciones que observe en los trailers , pero no en el juego.
  20. May 25, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll start off by saying that I did actually have fun, and that's what games are supposed to be. It was a new idea and that deserves some credit. i find the graphics are good, and the core gameplay is definitely solid.

That being said, however, the potential for this game was wasted. There are 3 quests in the whole game: Kill fish, kill humans, kill Apex. After that you move on to the next area until you finish the game. They could have done ANYTHING, but that's what they came up with. i counted 3 Old God references... there could've been a quest to explore R'lyeh, fight the minions of the Old Ones and even Cthulhu himself to seal him away. There is an alien ship... why no have us fight underwater UFOs? There is an oil tanker... why no have a quest to find the person dumping oil, land-shark your way into the hotel and eat him? You're a mutated chark but there are no other mutated fish to hunt? Why not a quest to find an invisble fish using your shark senses? Literally thumb-sucking ideas is more fun.

The potential for this game is limitless, and the only reason that i can think of that this stuff was not in the game is that they ran out of either time or money, or they were just lazy. The fact i can't pick my species of shark is also a massive bummer, and that The Gulf is way too small. it needed to be at least as big as the rest of the map put together. Maybe even bigger.

Here's the big one though. The AI is dumber than a bag of hammers. All the humans do is scream.... no attempt to run/swim away, no interaction, literally all they do is stand there screaming. Like... a shark literally just beached itself and ate 5 people, are you seriously just gonna stand there? The fish AI is equally as dumb, where a level 1 fish will attack your max-level, fully mutated, living embodiment of "more teeth". What? Why? There is a perk that you get later that makes fish a smaller size than you neutral, but that only comes RIGHT AT THE END. That should be a feature hard-coded into the AI, not a bloody perk.

What I'm saying is coming from a place of love. I want this game to be better, and i hope to Lord Gaben that the devs expand on what they have, because the potential is, again, literally limitless. I did not die once, finished the game in 8.5 hours and 95% completed every zone.... there needed to be so much more, and i hope that there is at a later stage.

What a shame.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 29 Critic Reviews

1. May 25, 2020
    Maneater Art It's a tough life being a shark. Time and time again, the media portrayal of sharks shows them as relentless monsters, whether through the tension of Jaws or the more absurd The Meg. Maneater looks to add some balance by casting the player as the aquatic predator, acting as the protagonist of the story rather than as the perennial heel. Developed by studio Tripwire Interactive, Maneater leans heavily into cheesy shark movies. Unthinking and aggressive, the player consistently terrorizes animal and human alike in its quest to become an ultimate predator. Moving from bayou to coast, before moving into the deep of the sea, Maneater is a vicious and hilariously over-the-top experience. Continue scrolling to keep reading Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Maneater Art Start now Related: How To Level Up Fast & Effectively in Maneater Maneater's core premise of destruction comes in the form of an open world sandbox. The player's bull shark doesn't quite have the same depth of the characters of GTA 5, but the end result can be just as explosive. Once Maneater gets going, the promise of being an unstoppable aquatic killer is an intoxicating concept that works incredibly well. Maneater Jumping Shark To begin with it's quite sluggish, however. An introductory tutorial level, where the player has full control of an adult shark as it sates its appetite with unsuspecting swimmers, abruptly ends when the shark is caught and butchered by our main antagonist, Scaly Pete. This shark hunter cuts a young bull shark out of its caught mother and throws it into the bayou - but not before the pup takes Pete's hand off as swift retribution. After that, the player takes on the role of the orphaned shark, chomping down on an assortment of unsuspecting wildlife as it grows big enough to take on larger prey. It's surprisingly slow going at this stage, strangely similar to the bizarre SNES game E.V.O.: Search For Eden, as the shark gets power-up boosts, gains levels, and stealthily hunts its prey while avoiding larger predators like alligators. Before too long, Maneater gets into its groove. The game plays heavily on its outlandish premise, amping up what was seen in 2006's Jaws Unleashed to its logical conclusion. Along the way Maneater throws in a fair bit of comedy, framing itself as a reality TV show following shark hunters and spitballing jabs at everything from Fyre Festival through to Waterworld and Pennywise the Clown. Maneater Bayou The core gameplay then falls into a loop that's been seen many times before in open world games. The quest for vengeance leads the shark into various parts of the city, thinning out the population of prey or predators, killing some unsuspecting civilians to gain infamy, before taking down the boss and moving onto the next area. Strangely enough, Maneater's closest structural peer is Mafia 3, albeit replacing its complex human main character for a slightly less nuanced portrayal of a furious fish. Related: Our Exclusive Footage of the World's BIGGEST Great White Shark Rather than the mob bosses or fearsome foes of other open world games, Maneater instead has two unique kinds of challenge. Each part of the city's waterways is the home of a specific apex predator that is significantly tougher than the usual enemies, such as a mako shark or an alligator, which is lured out after the player has completed enough quests within the area. Meanwhile, growing your infamy with human kills will attract the attention of named shark hunters that prove to be more difficult than the usual hunters that the player faces, with this mechanic feeling almost akin to the Cult of Cosmos assassinations in Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Maneater does fall into the trap of becoming a collect-a-thon at times, which certainly isn't for everyone, and this adds to the sense of repetition that sometimes feels like unnecessary padding. Thankfully Maneater does a better job than most games that fall into this trap, thanks to the snippets of humor received via Chris Parnell’s great voiceover work as the host of the titular shark hunting show. Maneater Hunter This sense of repetition is the only major negative of Maneater, as apart from that the game lives up to the promise of an unrestrained creature feature experience. Growing from a youthful shark through to a terrifying elder is satisfying, and the game's on-the-nose environmental message is portrayed with a tone that feels like a bastardized version of Captain Planet. The best way that this is showcased is with Maneater's outrageous upgrade system, with the shark given genetic mutations that are narratively tied to the pollution that seeps through the waterworks of the game. The player can become a bone-coated horror shark that would give the characters of Deep Blue Sea nightmares, and choose upgrades that allow the shark to slow down time and release poison, or even give off lethal electric shocks. Maneater is at its best when the player is fully upgraded, and able to wreak havoc on the general population. One of the best bonuses in the game makes the bull shark amphibious, allowing them to jump onto land for longer periods of time and partake in such wonderful moments as gatecrashing an ocean-side rave and ruining the party. Alternatively, the player could choose to take their neon death shark into the middle of an orca show, jumping into the seats and mercilessly eating the audience. Maneater Electric Shark Quite simply, it's a joy to play when unleashing the true power of this ultimate predator. A lot of the time, the player will be best served by ignoring what Maneater is telling them to do and instead just deciding to ruin someone's day. When the option to jump onto land and join a beach gathering is available, or to hop into a golf course and literally eat the rich, then it's easy to lose track of the main quest. It's these kind of moments, much like Grand Theft Auto, where Maneater shines. Hunting other aquatic creatures is all well and good - particularly with the challenge of such dangerous predators as great whites and orcas - but taking on humans is the best part of the game. In particular, fighting back against bounty hunters works extremely well, whether ramming boats until they sink, eating harpoon-wielding diving hunters whole, or jumping straight onto a boat and chowing down on the surprised hunters. Maneater Bone Shark That's without saying how well-crafted other aspects of Maneater are. When it comes to its control scheme Maneater is fantastic, with an intuitive lateral feel that gets players into the groove instantly. From a sound design perspective it also shines, with muffled underwater sounds and genuinely unsettling noises for incoming attacking predators that add tension to the early game. The world of Maneater is also great to look at. Its underwater set pieces, whether via claustrophobic, anemone-laden tunnels or vast open water areas, all look wonderful, while even the flowing of the water on the surface is very realistic. Maneater's shark protagonist's movements are also well-realized, with animations that never get tiresome over the course of the game's runtime. Maneater is big, dumb, and wonderful. Although the game could have done with trimming some of the fat rather than squeezing out as many hours of gameplay as possible, once the player gets through its early stages it's a ridiculous and lovable open world experience that provides exactly the level of chaos that its players will crave. It might not be safe to go back in the water, but undoubtedly it's a risk that is worth taking.
  2. May 25, 2020
    Maneater is an enjoyable action-RPG whose best moments are overshadowed by its bog standard open-world design and lack of variety in missions and enemies.
  3. May 25, 2020
    Far from being a joke like Goat Simulator, Maneater is a true RPG with good visuals, a nice storyline, and everything to have good times. Beware, it can be quite repetitive at times.