7.3

1. Sep 26, 2022
    I've never played the series and decided to start with this one since it was renowned and I'm familiar with point & click adventures (I've obviously watched a recap of the previous chapters).

The gameplay is pretty basic, I expected something more intrigate and mind-poking, but it may be because I chose the first difficulty option; perhaps veteran suited me more. Graphically it's

Graphically it's definitely not bad as many would swear. I'd have appreciated better animation tho.

I liked the writing, it was quirky, but the plot...
    Firstly I was expecting something longer, and more complex, and the ending was so disappointing. i read it was something the author reused to cope with the fact that he would never satisfy the expectations, so he simply bailed from trying. That's the overall vibe I'm getting for the entire game. It could have been much more, but something went wrong.
  2. Sep 24, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a hardcore monkey island fan and I'm saddened to say this game could be the worst of the series. For me it would be difficult to chose the best one in the first 3 games, but probably would be the 3rd, then the Telltale Game and finally, the 4th (most of the bad score would be the ending though), before this one came up.

Will say positive things first, the music it's just perfect, they never got this wrong. The game works smoothly, translations seems to be very good, gameplay has become simplier and works well, you can see still creativity in dialogues, puzzles...the puzzles are well done, they are not really hard, all the clues are there and well setup in dialogue with one sentence or one key word it's pretty well made.

I will be kinda neutral on the art, it's not really a favorite of mine, but got to say that works well in some places. What I dislike the most is the way the portrayed Guybrush, he looks ugly, and he never looked like that in any game, at most, dumb.

Now, the ugly would be the actual plot, I think I get they want to sell this is a story telled to a kid and the things he tells are not actually what happened, not accuratelly at least, or just straight made up, and with that they want to get away with it, not actually telling the Secret and other things, but to me, lands as an excuse at the end, bad writting. If you don't want to tell the Secret (let's face it, it's kind of impossible to find something great to satisfy people), just make up something else, like the other games. This is the only game that at the end amounts to nothing, there's no payoff for me. Every other game had an actual end to the story. Seems to me they want to reminiscent MI2, with the odd ending, but even there you got an ending that somewhat clearly tells you you were on a Lechuck spell or something. This game ends up with Guybrush finishing his story on a bench, looking a bit traumatized maybe, serious at least, maybe selling the vibe of a more serious and dark plot in his stories, that he does not tell his kid and that's why his stories end up weird (at least, MI2 and this game). I think I get that but again, seems lazy to me.

This game it's mostly hundreds of little puzzles chasing a macguffin, decorated all the time with huge nonsense, going to monkey island to find that the Secret is actually on Melee ¿? solving a lot of puzzles to get the macguffin, returning to Monkey Island and ending with a nonsensical bizarre ending in an amusing park, the secret being a T-shirt like MI1. It really adds nothing to the overall story. There's really nothing moving the story but the macguffin, they want the Secret because they want the Secret. In other games there was other plots moving the story, Elaine being kidnapped, Lechuck coming back to life, Elaine being cursed and Lechuck being a threat to all creating a massive army in his park, Lechuck becoming the leader of the 3 islands while you have to fight a legal battle somewhere, Lechuck becoming human.....There were many plots, in this game I just can say that they want to find the treasure and puzzles happen in the way.

Another thing I dislike a lot is Elaine in this game, she's a loving wife that's more like a pet than anything, it's not like the strong woman she is in other games. Maybe because it's a story for their kid she's portrayed as a loving mother? Regardless, she's only there to appear unexplicably a few times and move the plot forward nonsensically, like fabricating a ship, dealing with bad guys and rescuing everybody, a super mama maybe. In the game they sell you a plot about Elaine discovering that in Guybrush quest there's rampage going on, he's doing harm to people, and even sabotaging Elaine work a bit, I was expecting to have to face angry Elaine at some point, but no, it just end up in a dialogue with Elaine telling you the bads you've made, how she had to fix some of it and still being supportive and helping you, no payoff to that plotline.

Getting Gilbert back on track I was hoping to get a more serious tone and deep storytelling to be honest.

Finally, as a fan of all the games, I have to say that I liked it when I saw that they actually featured and recognize all of them, I feared they made a reboot going back to the 2nd, but in the end, they don't really do it because they take a few things of them, but forget many, or so it seems to me, I've tried to exhaust all dialogue options, but maybe miss a few. For example, they recognize Carla getting a public job thanks to Guybrush in MI4, and they say that's how she end up being mayor, but there seems to be no mention on Herman being Elaine grandfather, and how he end up losing the job and go crazy again, and with that, many more little examples.

I will end saying that I was also kind of dissapointed to not have real gameplay of swordfight, or something akin to it. I will always love the swordfight in MI3, best of all.
  3. Sep 24, 2022
    ========
    only worth 15 dollar
    ========
    - 8-10 hours long.
    -vomiting characters design but loved environments.
    -meh puzzles.
    -happy they didnt ruin the music.
    -oh ending was pile of **** and disappointment ruined the franchise.
  4. Sep 20, 2022
    Putting aside the contentious choice of graphical style, Return To Monkey Island lacks a lot of the charm of the original games. Straight up failing to capture the essence of Monkey Island along with including a few scenes that seem to be Ron Gilbert upset that his creation outgrew him and throwing shade at his "fans". The game also features an overly simplified UI. Every item you canPutting aside the contentious choice of graphical style, Return To Monkey Island lacks a lot of the charm of the original games. Straight up failing to capture the essence of Monkey Island along with including a few scenes that seem to be Ron Gilbert upset that his creation outgrew him and throwing shade at his "fans". The game also features an overly simplified UI. Every item you can interact with boils down to a left click or right click option and as such, the puzzles, even on the harder difficulty are so easy even a games journalist could get through them. As for the ending, we already had this before Ron, when you fall back on this yet again, it loses most of its punch. Expand
  5. Sep 21, 2022
    I don't really get the hype, but then again I didn't play the original games. It seems like an average adventure game to me owing a lot to the nostalgia. After playing Brok the investigator which released recently or Unavowed from Wadjet eye I see the rift, if anything it doesn't have the tons of choices and narrative content these games have and this leaves a sour taste. Oh and theI don't really get the hype, but then again I didn't play the original games. It seems like an average adventure game to me owing a lot to the nostalgia. After playing Brok the investigator which released recently or Unavowed from Wadjet eye I see the rift, if anything it doesn't have the tons of choices and narrative content these games have and this leaves a sour taste. Oh and the animation is really low budget and lazy.
    Play it only if you're a fan of the series, otherwise there are much better modern adventure games out there.
  6. Sep 23, 2022
    Oldschool great game with a lot of humour.
    Love the world of pirates and how the characters expand during the story.
  7. Sep 28, 2022
    Its an ok enough game from an puzzle standpoint but the ending is terrible and they made Guybrush into an cruel ****
  8. Sep 25, 2022
    Funny and fun game, I wanted to play it with my kids but they weren’t interested
  9. Sep 24, 2022
    I had fun playing Return to Monkey Island, but overall would rank it 7.5/10 overall, similar to other recent games by the old LucasArts veterans like Broken Age and Thimbleweed Park. The interface is excellent, the visuals are great and the writing sharp. And, at 10 hours in length, the game is good value for money. I was left wanting more, though. Some old faces felt either underused orI had fun playing Return to Monkey Island, but overall would rank it 7.5/10 overall, similar to other recent games by the old LucasArts veterans like Broken Age and Thimbleweed Park. The interface is excellent, the visuals are great and the writing sharp. And, at 10 hours in length, the game is good value for money. I was left wanting more, though. Some old faces felt either underused or underdeveloped (especially the return of 'Plunder Bunny'), some puzzles were a little light, and the ending was an anti-climax. I hope there'll be more additions to the series and I enjoyed this, but it falls short of classic. Expand
  10. Sep 24, 2022
    Sadly, I changed my review score from 10 to 5. At the beginning I loved it. Then, after a good deal of time, I finished it... And it is then, that one can realise that the whole game is built around this ending. I daresay that the whole decision to make the game was built around the ending. It is difficult to justify criticism without spoiling it, so I will only say it is done soSadly, I changed my review score from 10 to 5. At the beginning I loved it. Then, after a good deal of time, I finished it... And it is then, that one can realise that the whole game is built around this ending. I daresay that the whole decision to make the game was built around the ending. It is difficult to justify criticism without spoiling it, so I will only say it is done so clumsily.

What begins as a fresh and interesting adventure, soon becomes a plot mess without a true goal or a way out. It seems that near the end, budget/time constraints or the creator's sour mood, led to a hasty completion. The holes are numerous and many things are left unexplained. Then, comes the ending. Without needing to say anything about its content, it offers poor plot armour and indicates that Ron wanted to be the one to have the final say in the series. After how he treated his own franchise - and our very beloved - I don't think that anyone is going to trust him again with another entry - even with another game.

The sad thing is, I feel sad for him. He could have made this a celebration. A thing to remain in history for its brilliance and wholesome completion, his own return of the king, but he chose to express his feelings, sour and grey as they are, through it. I feel sad that he didn't have anyone else to express them and he chose to kill it as he did. No monkey island entry will come after that. It can't be done and no one will ever trust him again to buy another entry. Poor Guybrush....

Generally favorable reviews - based on 45 Critic Reviews

1. Edge Magazine
    Oct 6, 2022
    In both its puzzle design and its storytelling, Return to Monkey Island plays it safe. [Issue#377, p.114]
  2. Oct 6, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island is a love letter to the franchise and adventure games in general. It succeeds at what it set out to do from the outset, with a fun story, clever puzzles, and a big pinch of nostalgia to top it all off. It may play it a bit too safe, but that's easily forgotten when the rest of the experience is so consistently delightful.
  3. Oct 6, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island is pretty much as perfect a sequel to such a series of classic games as one can get. The puzzles are just as clever as they were decades ago, the visuals are the stunning, characters both new and old are a joy to interact with and provide great humor, and the story is not only well-crafted, but also has surprisingly profound moments. It’s easily a classic that can proudly stand alongside the other Monkey Island games, and one of the year’s best games in general. Take it from a now-behind-bars Stan: it’s one worth picking up.