6.8

1. Oct 22, 2014
    Ryse: Son of Rome amazes with stunning graphics, but the pace of the game and its length doesn't allow a player to enjoy it.

First of all, you have to realize that most negative scores are based on the fact that the game is extremely short. I finished it in 2 evenings - so I played for 6 hours maybe. If you take the price of the game and its length then the score is quite reasonable. My review, however, focuses only on gameplay and it's AWESOME! If you like the times of ancient Rome and slicing your opponents this is the game for you. I love actions games and taking a break from BF4 to play such a gem was really nice. Let's be honest, there isn't any other game where you could be a Roman soldier apart from i.e. Total War, which is a different genre. It puzzles me however, why the game is so short, why you can't walk (you almost always run), why you can't kill silently and why the creators didn't develop it further. Because of that, it seems as if the product was not finished. They could have gone so much further, because the world of ancient Rome they created is beautiful. I will never forget the feeling I had when I first saw Colosseum - absolutely stunning! Unfortunately, you don't get much chance to admire the views because everything happens too fast. Also, slicing your opponents becomes boring quite quickly. A player has no choice over his actions and there is no stealth option whatsoever.

All in all, Crytek created a beautiful game, which is definitely too short. If they developed it further, created alternative choices of events, enabled stealth kills, using tactics and an open world it would be 10/10 for me. (Personally, I would like to see all the elements from Shadow of Mordor combined in Ryse - then it would be perfect.)
  2. Nov 25, 2014
    It's a game with stunning graphical quality, I can Play it with Nvidia 650M with Normal Quality graphic and High Texture Quality, and what got is an impressive XOne looking game in my weak laptop, and it's playable . It's a game which voice acting and video dialogue impressed me the most. It's a kind of game that I am looking for; a Roman epic war action game. Hope there's more of thisIt's a game with stunning graphical quality, I can Play it with Nvidia 650M with Normal Quality graphic and High Texture Quality, and what got is an impressive XOne looking game in my weak laptop, and it's playable . It's a game which voice acting and video dialogue impressed me the most. It's a kind of game that I am looking for; a Roman epic war action game. Hope there's more of this games

but,
    Though I really like the combat system, yes it's lacking originality of combat, but it's still good, but It's repetitive game play really wears me off. A game that offers it's players different pace will surely be a Win. And that's what this game didn't have. I was hoping this game would feature a camp or base or whatever where you can manage your equipment and choose a region that you are hoping to seize.

But in the End, it's just an action game that plays one way story that doesn't offer much decision making that actually affect the outcome at some stage of the game.

I applaud the story, think It Is good for Roman setting game, and quite epic at that. I don't get the impression of so-called god of war wannabe and 300, It's purely a Roman story that topped with very few mythical stuff. That's what I like in this game.

And thank the developers that this game can be beaten in just half a day, so we don't have to endure the repetitive yet focus consuming game play too long to reveal the Great Story.
  3. Jan 16, 2016
    Points based review:

STORY: Intro - 7.6 | Midsection Progress - 4.2 | Protagonists - 3.8 | Ending - 8.1 | Storytelling - 4.3
    GAMEPLAY: Main Activities - 8.4 | Gameplay Variety - 4.4 | Fun - 6.2 | Genre Rating: 8.6
    GAMEWORLD/DESIGN: 5.2
    TECHNOLOGY: Graphics - 9.8 | Audio: 9.0
    OVERALL RATING: 6.7

6.7 = 7
  4. Dec 14, 2014
    Ryse it's a perfect example of bad game design. There's so much things going right that you are almost temped to ignore what the game does bad. But then it becomes impossible to do so, since the mechanics just keep on getting in the way and spoiling the good stuff. The graphics are simple amazing, not only by the polygon count and shining armours, but because adding to that you have anRyse it's a perfect example of bad game design. There's so much things going right that you are almost temped to ignore what the game does bad. But then it becomes impossible to do so, since the mechanics just keep on getting in the way and spoiling the good stuff. The graphics are simple amazing, not only by the polygon count and shining armours, but because adding to that you have an amazing level of attention given to detail. Animations are very good and facial animations are as close to perfection as they can be. And the story, while not ground breaking, is good enough and well structured. The acting is also surprisingly good. But forget if you think you'll be given time to enjoy any of this, because by some obscure reason the developers though it would be important to constantly push you forward and even when it's not the game it self that is pushing you it is the context it self that pushes you at the cost of breaking immersion for not doing so. And the disastrous rhythm makes damage everywhere. Level design it's not perfect, just OK, but add to it the constant rush and you will be hitting walls, stands and everything around you trying to meet the urgency the game ask of you.

The much criticised combat system falls in the same mistakes. But let me just point one thing. If you listen someone saying this is just a button masher, you can for sure know that that person never played the game. The combat has some complexity and it offers enough diversity to keep it challenging and diverse. But... again the game ruins it with the rhythm that imposes. Plus some tweaks would in did be good. A midway between this and Dark Souls, with the needed lower pace, would push this game to a whole new level.

Ryse it's an OK game. It lacks in many aspects and excels in some. Sadly the bad is so bad that it annihilates the good. This is a prime example of a game made without passion and heart. A game that tries so hard to offer entertainment that ends up leading you to a general feeling of boredom and indifference.
  5. Oct 14, 2014
    Ryse:Son of Rome is a repetitive hack & slasher wrapped in a gorgeous setting. It is fast paced. Straight forward linear game play with a simple story. Sure one might argue the game falls short in various regards. But for what it is, it delivers well. Similar to a blockbuster movie it doesn't hurt to just get on with it and enjoy a piece of entertainment for what it is.

After the first

After the first few levels you have seen every mechanic there is to discover in this game anyway. And the longer the game goes the more you feel like a passenger, a means to an end for the game to play out in front of you. You are being reduced at many points to just hit one of two buttons at the right time for the animation in front of you to play on. At that point the game might as well play itself. Almost out of worry you as a player could be in the way of how this story needs to unfold.

It looks great. It has great animations. Good cut sequences. But it is so very simple and repetitive.
    I say good for a rainy Sunday when you feel the itch to just play something without really having to invest in much.
  6. Dec 19, 2014
    it looked like a movie more than a video game. i don't recommend it for anyone. fighting system is boring, but some cinematic was good. your gonna enjoy it if you like gladiator movies! graphics are good but not in every chapter.
  7. Oct 11, 2014
    Another Xbox One timed exclusive makes its way to PC and once again; it is a game that lacks any real substance or depth. There are much better titles out there for a lot less money.

Ryse does look fantastic but the combat is extremely repetitive, shallow and tiresome in time. The story is reasonable but the gameplay is desperately lacking and linear. It feels like this game was designed more as a technology showcase for the Xbox One as opposed to delivering an engrossing title on a grand scale.

On the XB1, Ryse was an welcome game for many thanks largely to a lack of titles available on the system but for PC gamers; it's nothing more than an average hack and slash. At a price of £34.99, this is far too expensive to justify a purchase now and even at a dramatically lower cost down the line; I'd still struggle to justify paying money as there is always a better title out there on the Steam Store.

With Shadow of Mordor already out and games like Dragon Age: Inquisition and AC Unity on the horizon; Ryse will sink to the genre abyss, so save your money for these or something else.
  8. Oct 14, 2014
    A hack and slash game with a superb story. The game play is linear so it doesn't offer much for replayability. There is a lot of cut scenes so you will feel like you are watching a movie while playing a game. I would recommend waiting until the game is discounted as it's not worth the full price.
  9. Oct 13, 2014
    Totally mediocre game, stunning graphic, basic game play and combat, no combos to pull up, even the story is kinda meh... It was good for one and a half day, but that's it only the engine is memorable.
  10. Oct 15, 2014
    awesome graphics! brutal gore! great story! BUT! press X to win! wtf! figth system is very "low". nevertheless interesting to play. dialogues are short, simple, but it's only for the better. finish the game with pleasure now playing arena. 10 severed feet of 10: D
  11. Nov 3, 2014
    1) For today the game is optimized like a trash. 2) Combat system is pretty stupid, because: a) the started combo can be done without players involvement and all that you lose is a combo multiplier - i don't care about multiplier, but care about beautiful combos..., b) boring combos, c) limited combos. 3) Lost my interest for now. We'll see if they can still fix it - pending....
  12. Oct 15, 2014
    For an action game, Son of Rome is not on the top of the list: you have just a few combos, one set of weapons, control is a bit clanky and not as responsive as it should, and the auto-aim awful mechanics will make you mad.

But despite all of this, it is still a pretty funny experience. The graphics are impossible to improve and surprisingly well optimized, character animations achieved with motion capture are a delight to watch and the art direction recreates an spectacularly beautiful ancient Rome. The hard difficulty mode is pretty chalenging and I liked to call it "the realist mode" because you can get killed with just 2-3 hits of a sword.

The story is pretty entertaining too, the characters have a lot of personality and the voice acting is excellent. Although some people complained about the length of the game, I felt it was just fine.

Finally, the multiplayer in a game like this is always welcomed!

If you are a fan of action games, probably you want to wait for this to reduce its price. If you like Roman odysseys and want to have a good, although not unforgettable experience, then you won't be disappointed.
  13. Oct 10, 2014
    Yes the game is repetitive, but the story is surprisingly good and it is a technical masterpiece which really shows what the Xbox One and PC can do graphically. I enjoyed the game for the story.
  14. Oct 10, 2014
    It's Ok. The combat is fluid, the controlls solid. The game looks amazing, and it's well optimized. The Story is too much God of War, too little 300. The Co-Op is good for a few hours,but not much longer. It may seem like I'm not being very specific in this review, and, well, that's because it's hard to. It's just a VERY mediocre game that could've been more,but it just...well...isn't.It's Ok. The combat is fluid, the controlls solid. The game looks amazing, and it's well optimized. The Story is too much God of War, too little 300. The Co-Op is good for a few hours,but not much longer. It may seem like I'm not being very specific in this review, and, well, that's because it's hard to. It's just a VERY mediocre game that could've been more,but it just...well...isn't. I'll call this one a miss. Pick it up on sale for $15 in December, play it for 8-9 hours, forget about it, and go back to watching Gladiator or 300 if you want a solid Roman Warrior Fantasy. Expand
  15. Oct 20, 2014
    It really pains me to write this review. It was a great (maybe the best) looking game, and the combat system is difficult to master when playing on hard. I enjoyed it. However, they committed the unforgivable sin of not being able to skip cut scenes and as with all other games that do this, they have ruined the game with this choice. I keep hitting a cutscene and having to press ALT+F4It really pains me to write this review. It was a great (maybe the best) looking game, and the combat system is difficult to master when playing on hard. I enjoyed it. However, they committed the unforgivable sin of not being able to skip cut scenes and as with all other games that do this, they have ruined the game with this choice. I keep hitting a cutscene and having to press ALT+F4 because I simply cannot be bothered with the cut scene and powerless to skip it. Why do this??????. Expand
  16. Nov 14, 2014
    ive never played this game and posted a review thinking i was posting on a different game and apparently i can't delete it only edit - Big thumbs up Metacritic (Y)
  17. Nov 11, 2014
    Gameplay (of 10) : 7
    Story (of 10) : 7
    Graphic (of 10) : 9
    Sound (of 10) : 7

Total : 7.4 / 10

Total score is weighted average of four factors, respectively Gameplay, Story, Graphic, Sound.
  18. Oct 20, 2014
    Personally I didn't like the game due to repetition, Shadow of Mordor was released prior to the PC version of Son of Rome and after playing such a wonderful game Ryse was a hard one to enjoy. The main reason of purchase though is that Crysis developed the game and as everyone knows they are great at creating demanding benchmark tool games.
  19. Nov 1, 2014
    I liked the story and it was very fun, however the combat was boring and repetitive. I didn't like the involvement of the gods, and it wasn't very realistic. The graphics were unmatchable and very easily handled by even a low-end PC. The characters had a lot of depth and history, and the mythology was great. All in all, I thought it was an average game.
  20. Jun 20, 2017
    I will start by saying this game looks great and the graphics are quite pretty when turned up to max. The combat is also feels quick and polished for the most part. The reason for my low score however, is that this game gets very repetitive, very quick. You kill the same 4 enemies, using the same 4 buttons over and over again. I would say this game is fun when played in short bursts, butI will start by saying this game looks great and the graphics are quite pretty when turned up to max. The combat is also feels quick and polished for the most part. The reason for my low score however, is that this game gets very repetitive, very quick. You kill the same 4 enemies, using the same 4 buttons over and over again. I would say this game is fun when played in short bursts, but trying to play this game for more than an hour to two at a time gets incredibly boring. Expand
  21. Jul 22, 2020
    Great graphics, environments and animations, deplorable, boring and annoying gameplay.
  22. Mar 26, 2020
    I must say I really like this game. First because graphics just blew me away. I did not expect visuals to be that good. Second because I like the game settings and the story, I enjoy playing as roman centurion and I like settings of the ancient. Combat is simple ,easy and enjoyable. Just do not expect to be challenged like in Bloodborne. It took me about 9 hours to complete the game onI must say I really like this game. First because graphics just blew me away. I did not expect visuals to be that good. Second because I like the game settings and the story, I enjoy playing as roman centurion and I like settings of the ancient. Combat is simple ,easy and enjoyable. Just do not expect to be challenged like in Bloodborne. It took me about 9 hours to complete the game on normal difficulty. Overall solid 8 out of 10 for me. Expand
  23. Nov 12, 2018
    Underrated game. Even at the end of 2018, around 5 years after its initial release, this game is high up there for contenders of best graphics and overall visuals in a video game. Running this game at 4K with a GTX 1060 on max graphics and it looks better than most modern games! The production value of Ryse is nothing short of top-tier, at least in terms of the content that's there. TheUnderrated game. Even at the end of 2018, around 5 years after its initial release, this game is high up there for contenders of best graphics and overall visuals in a video game. Running this game at 4K with a GTX 1060 on max graphics and it looks better than most modern games! The production value of Ryse is nothing short of top-tier, at least in terms of the content that's there. The art style, soundtrack, audio quality, cutscenes and especially the level of detail in the motion capture is impeccable. Despite its relatively short length (the game has 8 levels), it feels like a complete experience and doesn't outstay its welcome. Which brings me on to the other aspects of the game, graphics and production value aside.

The story isn't particularly innovative in its plot or its execution, but it's certainly not tacked on. It's very straightfoward and well-paced, being mostly aided by its non-standard ancient Rome setting; though admittedly it could've capitalised on this more. The level design is also very bland uninspiring. Sure, there's plenty of collectibles and you probably won't get all of them in one run, but I have never played a game more linear than this one. The world is very small and each level is mostly the same but with different environments. Although this difference is novel in the last couple of levels, mostly it's just a change in scenery and not gameplay.

This is where Ryse is most heavily criticized: the reptitive and basic gameplay. Whilst I can definitely see where critics are coming from, I also appreciate a simple but rock solid combat system. This game is literally the definition of hack and slash: you have your sword and shield attacks, alternating them in a suitable rhythm (so long as you don't do more than three of the same in a row) to defeat enemies. Of course, you also have the usual defense mechanics of evade and deflect, including parry for some heavy attacks. This is combined with a Batman Arkham style combo system, and genuinely feels satisfying when you have a good rhythm and can clear entire sections without taking any hits in a perfect freeflow. Even when that doesn't happen, the combat system is so unobtrosive that it's difficult to hate it.

Of course, a game which is almost entirely reliant on combat can't get away with just that. So what makes Ryse different is its heavy emphasis on executions, which are basically a bunch of preset quick-time events that require to press either the sword or shield attack button to finish off your enemies in brutally violent manner. Although there are plenty of these and you unlock more throughout the game with the upgrade currency, towards the end you will inevitably recognise each one of them and can time your presses perfectly; though there are so many including environmental ones that it's never predictable which one you will get.
    Here's where things get really messed up though: if you fail the prompt by either not pressing the button in time or pressing th wrong button, the game automatically ocmplets the execution anyway, with no consequences other than your rating being lower. So the only thing that makes executions satisfying is getting the right button and timing perfect so that you can get a higher rating. What these ratings do? I'm still not sure. Presumably they give you higher XP and credits, allowing you to purchase upgrades more quickly.
    That's right: Ryse does have a very simplistic upgrade system for standard things like damage, health and even XP gain, and executions can grant bonuses on any of these depending on your choice (a system which is again familiar from games like Remember Me). So what else is there? Well, there are some very simple projectiles in the game: spears and spear cannons. However there is no aiming involved: the game automatically does that aiming and you just pull the trigger. This becomes hialriously absurd in the beginning of the last level.

So, that brings me on to the conclusion. The short version is that Ryse isn't an innovative game, it's very repetitive and the gameplay is about as cookie-cutter as you can get. But in a world of overly complex systems, microtransactions, DLCs and so on, I must say that Ryse is one of the games I've been most impressed by recently. I've always had a soft spot for short, single-player experiences like Remember Me and Mirror's Edge (which are amongst my favourite games). Where it shines is its simplicity: take a historical setting, put a simple combat system in, add a decent story, wrap it around 8 levels and build it with state-of-the-art game engine and you're done.

TL;DR: It's super-cheap on Steam, I got it for around £2 or £3. Repetitive, but gorgeous and high quality.
  24. Dec 27, 2014
    A Solid 7. It was a fun little game with absolutely amazing graphics. I wouldn't say they really focused on anything else, but I enjoyed it. Full of action, very simple. It NEEDS a better third person camera, and maybe a better combo system. That would immediately and easily make it a better game.

Its what you would expect from Crytek, a game that's essentially a benchmark/benchtest. You should have known what you were getting into.
  25. Oct 23, 2014
    Great game, great story and great game play. This is definitely worth a try if you didn't play it Xbox One yet. My only complaints about this game and the reason why i gave it an average score is the simple fact that your weapons and armor are not upgrade-able. I wish i was able to upgrade weapons and armor would've made my grind throughout this game a lot more satisfying but other thanGreat game, great story and great game play. This is definitely worth a try if you didn't play it Xbox One yet. My only complaints about this game and the reason why i gave it an average score is the simple fact that your weapons and armor are not upgrade-able. I wish i was able to upgrade weapons and armor would've made my grind throughout this game a lot more satisfying but other than the look of your weapons and armor that changes the more you progress in the story there's no feature for that. I love the kill moves and if your pc is capable of running this there's not too much lag in the fps department. I did notice on my less powerful laptop that the lag was bad but not enough to get me to stop playing. Another problem i have with this game is that the story is too short. I wish i was able to experience more in this world. I love ancient Rome and wish i was able to spend more of the story in the Arena (Coliseum). Just to keep it short get the game bro. If not wait until its on sale on steam or something it's definitely worth a try. I did have some personal issues with the game and felt like the story would've benefited a lot more if it had to deal with greece and the 300 spartans story or somewhere along the line of the Persian war. Or maybe the trojan war. Expand
  26. Mar 12, 2015
    Ryse: Son of Rome strives to show us how visually beautiful games on next generation hardware can be, it unfortunately fails to impress with its some what linear game-play. While I must give credit for the character development and intriguing story essentially what this games ends up being is no more than a repetitive hack and slash game where repeating the same attacks numerous times toRyse: Son of Rome strives to show us how visually beautiful games on next generation hardware can be, it unfortunately fails to impress with its some what linear game-play. While I must give credit for the character development and intriguing story essentially what this games ends up being is no more than a repetitive hack and slash game where repeating the same attacks numerous times to ultimately work towards an execution , which you will mind numbingly do so many times, it becomes unbearable.

With all its beautifully rendered environments and amazing effects it turns out to be nothing more than an impressive tech demo and gives a future glimpse into what this new hardware will bring.
  27. Sep 15, 2016
    This was a short game, but I enjoyed every minute going through its world. The story is engaging and the combat is very satisfying. It does suffer from a few camera problems and the upgrades you get are somewhat lackluster. It did a really good job making you feel like a bad a** roman leader as you command your troops forward. It is a solid 7 that was worth the price I paid on the steam sale.
  28. Dec 24, 2015
    Immensive and amazing graphics, beautifully rendered enviroments, suits, armor, skin, and everything you see is so gorgeous. Fighting mechanics would have been better, but with bloody fatalities, it enjoys you. Top class action and war atmosphere. I do not think this is a bad game, and for powerful machines out there, it's an eye show.
  29. Oct 10, 2020
    Granted I certainly didn't pay $60 for this game, but at the bargain price I got it for, it provided me with a solid week of fun playing through the campaign on regular difficulty and then on the highest difficulty. This was followed by an additional week of going through the multiplayer (which, on Xbox is still playable; I was getting matches 3 out of 4 times).

There is a lot to be

There is a lot to be desired in the levelling up system (half-baked doesn't begin to explain it's ineptitude), but it's a fun romp with an aesthetic and time period (albeit, stupidly historically inaccurate) that is often not seen in games.

All, in all, it deserves a slightly better score than the average here, but seeing how you can pick it up for the price of renting a movie, it's definitely worth at least going through the campaign on regular difficulty.

Have fun, just don't expect to get a lifetime's enjoyment out of it.
  30. Feb 27, 2017
    Ryse: Son of Rome is like an R-rated children TV show set in ancient Greek with all the budget poured into effects: It is pleasant to look at, but never gets more complex than what the adolescent mind can handle.
  31. Nov 17, 2020
    Mindless and repetitive but atmospheric in some places. Good graphics, below average story
  32. Nov 16, 2014
    (Played with a X360 controller and Amd FX 8320 cpu, nvidia 760 GTX gpu, 8 gb ram, win 7. rig)
    Surely not a bad game, maybe even a nice game except a couple of flaws. Short campaign, takes roughly 8 - 9 hours to complete. Combat system is cool, no doubt. However; there are -only and only - 5 or 6 enemy types and plus execution animations - QTE order are limited. So naturaly gets repetitive after 2 - 3 hours of gameplay. Online multiplayer co-op (arena, round to round and survival) is nice to play, if you can match a player to play with, that is... Last words: Great graphics (assuming you have a gaming pc), nice looking scenes and cinematic cut-scenes, good but repetitive combat, not bad but short main story, cool but "low population" co-op online mode. I recommend to play and hope to have fun, just not expect some deep, rich game mechanics.
  33. Jan 7, 2018
    The game is actually good. It does nothing remarkably well, except the graphics, but it did deliver a good few hours of entertainment. A game a little above average i would say.
  34. Mar 29, 2016
    I was very reluctant to buy this game because of the bad reviews, but it paid off. The gameplay is amazing and extremely fun. I would of given it a higher score if there was more diversity in the enemy's, a longer story, and more content such as more customizable weapons and armor. But I highly recommend this game.
  35. Jan 18, 2018
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a third person medieval combat game that exposes its execution moves, animation job and graphics in quite an impressive fashion. But to be honest, that's probably all I can praise about it. The game is poorly optimized and written in a shallow disappointing storyline.
  36. Aug 29, 2020
    Good game. It's not perfect in any way sure...but it is entertaining! Combat is fun, the story is interesting, really fantastic dubbing (eng), awesome ancient Rome atmosphere.
    Very simple gameplay and low replay value are his weakness.
    Recommended if you like ligth action game and ancient Rome fluff ....non reccomended for hardcore gameres or real history lovers of course. NOTE: Be
    Very simple gameplay and low replay value are his weakness.
    NOTE: Be careful, this game is very graphically-demanding!!! So be sure to have a powerful computer because it's hard to run.....maybe the porting is not optimized....I can play "wolfenstein the new orders" without problem for example but Ryse give me trouble....with a low frame rate this game is unplayable (becasuse it mess with gameplay timing) and part of the fun lies in the visual effects
  37. Aug 27, 2016
    Pretty decent game. The graphics are amazing and the combat is simple but fun. Don't expect too much in depth stuff form it though. The upgrading system doesn't really add anyting to the game or support different playstyles, which is a shame in my opinion.
  38. Jun 14, 2016
    Hack. Slash. Shield bash. Repeat. That's Ryse: Son of Rome in a nutshell. The more I tried to objectively assemble a list of positives and negatives, the more I realized that Ryse has little unique to offer (those graphics, though!). However, there is real promise in several areas, and I had fun in an arcade-y way (hence the recommendation). Ryse is worth a purchase at 75% off or more, butHack. Slash. Shield bash. Repeat. That's Ryse: Son of Rome in a nutshell. The more I tried to objectively assemble a list of positives and negatives, the more I realized that Ryse has little unique to offer (those graphics, though!). However, there is real promise in several areas, and I had fun in an arcade-y way (hence the recommendation). Ryse is worth a purchase at 75% off or more, but certainly not at full price.

What's to like:
    + The graphics for sure. If you have a killer rig and want an awesome-looking game to showcase your hardware, this is your game. The developers didn't phone in the backdrops, either: the vistas are huge, the backdrops extensive. The undergrowth in Britain is deep, detailed and lush. The water looks like real water, not shiny, shifting, reflective plastic. Character detail is superb, though facial animations still look just a bit stiff.
    + The voice acting is great, and carries the game at many points. Everyone delivers a superb performance (player-character Marius and npc Vitallion are both stand-outs).
    + The story has emotional impact, though if you're at all a fan of the time-period, the careless mixing of old and new legends will probably annoy instead of satisfy. Still, it's enough to keep you moving forward.
    + The soundtrack is a decent emulation of Zimmer's Gladiator score (not surprising).
    + The combat is slick and swift, and easy for newcomers.
    + A lot of effort clearly went into designing the two-player co-operative multiplayer; there are at least a dozen maps and four game modes. It's a lot of fun to team up with someone and slay enemies in the arena, but matchmaking is not that good at the moment, if a match can be found at all.
    + Well-optimized (for Radeon, anyway). In an era of increasingly shoddy PC ports, Ryse ran great on my moderate hardware (A10 6800k + 2GB R7 260X); I averaged around 50fps @1080p Medium settings.

And now, the not-so-awesome stuff.
    - Linear as heck. Rome may look awesome in the distance, but you can't go there.
    - While the story works, even the slightest bit of historical research will reveal there is nothing even approaching “accuracy”. If you were hoping for a cool Roman-era hack'n slash, you'll get it. Historically accurate? Nope. Just a mix of the cool stuff.
    - No real large-scale payoff to the story. Marius has closure, no question. But the larger implications – including that he was somehow an instrument of the gods – are never addressed. We just get these god-figures who appear at the end (and are glimpsed throughout) with some decent speeches about purpose, rules, and Rome, and that's it.
    - Combat is limited and repetitive. Hack, slash, shield-bash, repeat. Maybe dodge here and there. It definitely bored me by the sixth chapter (out of eight). A missed opportunity to maybe dual-wield swords, or have a spear and shield, but nope. A sword and shield the entire game.
    - Staying with combat for a minute, finishing moves are a QTE-fest. I don't mean every few minutes; every other second you're performing some kind of QTE. I suppose this was easier than programming more complicated forms of combat.
    - I loved some of the contextual battle choices – where to deploy your archers, advancing on a line of archers in the testudo formation. But these are under-used, and offer little variation.
    - Upgrade skills are ridiculously cheap. I've played enough of the Batman Arkham games to be able to string together a 35-hit combo without much trouble. A big enough combo and correctly-completed QTEs grants tons of “honor” points that are used to level up. If the game were harder, upgrading would have meant more...
    - ...perhaps. Aside from new execution animations, the upgrades didn't seem to have much effect.

Ryse: Son of Rome is a linear hack'n slash that will satisfy in short bursts, but anyone looking for deep gameplay and any customization will be disappointed. The potential is there to be something truly great, but sadly that potential remains unrealized.
  39. Sep 10, 2016
    A very short game but enjoyable at the same time. It like the concept and the characters so much but the gameplay maked me to close the game sometimes. A really good adventure eclipsed by a awful gameplay and a bad port from xbox one
  40. May 3, 2020
    Finally after five years of putting it off I finally played this game, and I must say it's very difficult to review.

On one hand, the story is very good, the presentation is incredible, the graphics are some of the best ever see in video games even today, the music is great, the voice acting is Hollywood grade, the animations and mocap work is flawless, and there's not a glitch or unpolished inch to be found in this game. You will find few if any video games on the market more technically impressive than this.

On the OTHER hand, the combat is shallow and repetitive, there's literally nothing you do in the game but said combat, enemy variety is very low, and the game give you zero freedom. It's so linear and locked into the narrative it's like the Final Fantasy XIII of hack n slash action games.

So I suppose how much enjoyment you'll get out of Ryse depends on what you personally look for in video games and what you think they should be. Do you like over the top jaw dropping technical presentations and are willing to accept meh gameplay to behold them? Then you absolutely want to play Ryse. Do you loathe and despise linear, cutscene heavy, narrative driven games with QTEs? Then stay far away from Ryse.
  41. Jul 25, 2019
    Amazing graphics, better looking than today's games. Audio is pretty good too, but gameplay and storyline are pretty **** and Marius is just not likeable.
  42. Jan 30, 2017
    Una gran sensación me produjo este videojuego, de temática romana, grandes dosis de acción, a mi en lo personal me encanto la historia, graficos excelentes, música excelente. recomendado
  43. Apr 24, 2018
    Yerli kardeşlerin yapım olması ve daha önce crysis serisi ile gaza gelip aldık tabi gaza geldik derken 7.75 tl gibi komik bir fiyata aldık. yanına da bir de türkçe dil yaması uyguladık başladık hikayemize.
    (spoiler içerir)
    (spoiler içerir)
    *Oyun zaman döngüsü içerisinde, yani farklı zamanları size yaşatıyor ilk başta aklınız karışıyor ama bu durumu anca final sahnesinde anlıyorsunuz. ilk başlarda oynadığınız sahnelerin aslında size finalin nasıl olduğunu söylemesi ve sizin bunu fark edememeniz güzel bir detay (kızın kafasının surlara dikilmesini emretmesi gibi) yani ilk başta hiç anlam verememiştim. durduk yere neron ile niye başbaşayız ve bu sahne neden başka bir yerde yok anlam veremedim. bir nevi kurgu katılmış.ama bu kurgu final sahnelerinde hızlıca geçilmiş. saatlerce oynuyorsunuz ve neden oynadığınız 20 saniyelik bir ara videoda geçiştiriliyor.
    *oyunda bir şey var ki hey maşallah dedirtiyor bu da grafikler.
    arkadaşlar grafikler gerçekten şahane. bazen kendimi romada sanıyorum ışıklar,efektler, ortam gerçekten çok iyi tabi bazen gereğinden bazla kalabalık oluyor ama oyunu oynayan herkes gladyatör sahnelerinin oynandığı arena kısmını beğenmiştir. her yerde en ince detayına kadar uğraşmışlar keşke gta gibi kamera açıcı ayarlanabilseydi ve biz karakterimiz ile beraber çevreyi daha geniş açı ile oynayabilseydik görebilseydik daha güzel olurdu.
    *oyunda özellikle ara sahneler çok güzel değme dizilere taş çıkarır. oyunu geçin ara sahneleri birleştirin dizi diye oynatın. ara sahnelerde oyunun kendi grafiklerinden farklı bir tat var sanki grafik motoru ile yapılmamış da direk çekim yapıp video olarak atmışlar gibi (tam bilmiyorum) ben ara sahneleri çok beğendim.
    *Hikaye gayet güzel. yani çok iyi değil ama bu oyuna göre güzel.lan hiç değilse parasına göre güzel :) tabi bazı yerlerde kopukluklar var. neden kralın oğlu düşman kralını öldürdü anlamadım olay bu kadar basit bir intikam duygusu olmamalı, ayrıca biz savaş bitti ve sıra adamımızın intikamına geldi derken bir anda roma 10 bin asker tarafından işgal ediliyor. ilk işgal aslında ileri zamanı anlatıyorsa romalı veliaht neden düşman kralı niye öldürdü? herşey aslında finale bırakıldığı için karıştırabiliyorum.
    *karakter tasarımı olmamış,aynı karakterler devamlı karşımıza çıkıyor diyorlardı da bu kadar belirgin olduğunu düşünmemiştim, bir kaç modelden ve önemli karakterlerden başka herkes aynıydı, witcher 2 oyununda yüzlerce karakter gördüm tek bir kişi bile biraz olsun birbirine benzemiyordu, lan cüceler bile benzemiyordu burda ise ctrl-v'nin dibine vurmuşlar.oyun nasıl başladıysa öyle bitti.
    *oynanış da olmamış arkadaş. karakterimizi geliştirmemin sonuna ulaşıyoruz yine d bir kaç farklı kesip biçmenin önüne geçmiyor, hani zaten kan gövdeyi daha ilkbaşlarda götürüyor adam yüzbaşı iken de aynı kesiyor general iken de, bir yerden sonra alışıyorsunuz. mesela gears of war oynarken testereli silah ile de aynı burdaki gibi canavarları kesiyorduk ama insanın içinde daha çok kasap gibi kesme isteği uyandırıyordu bu ryse ise bir yerden sonra alışıyorsun ve hiç tat vermiyor. özellikle tam olarak kılıcı sapladığımız an yavaş çekim olup sonrasında hızlı çekime geçiyor ya aklımızı bulandırıyor güzel bir efekt değil.
    *ayrıca boss savaşları artık gına getiriyor. öldürdüm diyorsun hop bir ara sahne en baştan bir daha, hah bu sefer bitti diyorsun hop en baştan bir daha. aynı boss dövüşlerini tekrar tekrar yapa yapa gına geldi. yani bitsede gitsek lan dedim.

***
    gelelim tavsiye aşamasına. şimdi ben bu oyunu 7.75 tl gibi komik bir rakama aldım beğenmeszem silerim sonucunda yerli kardeşler birşeyler yapmış. bu firma ülkemize de ilk defa oyun geliştirme konusunda üniversite ile ortaklığa giden ve ülkemizle oyun sektörü daha da gelişsin diye çabalayan bir firma ve batmasını istemem. tamam belki kendileri bir witcher yapamıyor olabilir ama oyunun credits sahnesinde yerli kardeşler yazıyor ya bu fiyata yeter de artar bile.
    "Alın oynayın" sıkılınca girin youtube videolarına hikayeyi izleyin zevk alacaksınız(video serisi çekmeye gerek duymadım nette çok güzel türkçe altyazılı videolar var)
  44. Apr 7, 2022
    Amazing graphics, superb voice acting, epic settings (when you act as the commander) and the cut-scenes are beautifully animated. Very linear and combat can be repetitive but once your unlock all the combos and executions, it is very fun to watch. Would've liked the world being explored or expanded more, but gotta give credit where it's due to say it's one of the best gladiatorAmazing graphics, superb voice acting, epic settings (when you act as the commander) and the cut-scenes are beautifully animated. Very linear and combat can be repetitive but once your unlock all the combos and executions, it is very fun to watch. Would've liked the world being explored or expanded more, but gotta give credit where it's due to say it's one of the best gladiator simulator/soldier/commander simulator out there. Expand
  45. Sep 12, 2021
    Overall, the game is quite solid and good. It is fun and enjoyable to play. Although the story is quite simple, I can't say I didn't enjoy it. The graphics are great even by today's standards. The biggest problems of the game are optimization and combat system. The performance on my computer (which is Geforce GTX 1070, Ryzen 5 3600X and 16GB of RAM) was just awful. On any graphic settingsOverall, the game is quite solid and good. It is fun and enjoyable to play. Although the story is quite simple, I can't say I didn't enjoy it. The graphics are great even by today's standards. The biggest problems of the game are optimization and combat system. The performance on my computer (which is Geforce GTX 1070, Ryzen 5 3600X and 16GB of RAM) was just awful. On any graphic settings lags and freezes happened quite often. The combat (which is 90% of gameplay) is very shallow and repetitive. Despite all its flaws, I enjoyed the game. Just don't buy for full price. Expand
  46. May 15, 2020
    Ryse: Son of Rome is hack and slash story of a chosen hero from 3rd person view.

Story 3.5/5 Our character tells a story of his past. The story is interesting, however I had minor issue about our hero, but it all makes sense at the end. The characters are well done, some moments are predictable. It is a story of good vs evil, so it wasn't much surprising but pleasant nevertheless. The

Story 3.5/5
    Our character tells a story of his past. The story is interesting, however I had minor issue about our hero, but it all makes sense at the end. The characters are well done, some moments are predictable. It is a story of good vs evil, so it wasn't much surprising but pleasant nevertheless. The war we will be part of, is between Rome and Britons.

Gameplay 4/5
    We are mostly fighting with sword and shield, on occasions with scorpion and javelins. There are few times we will command our units and lead them in formation. The slow time events are very important feature and are required to be mastered till the end game, however they're slowing down time so they're easy. Execution kills reward us with health or focus and are valuing our performance which doesn't seem to have huge impact.

We can unlock various stats and execution animations by gaining experience. I haven't been able to unlock all but most. They make our character stronger.

I wasn't initially very happy about boss fights but there are few, and the last ones are more challenging. The difficulty feels a bit off on Centurion, if not for bosses I'd say it's pretty easy, hence the time I spent playing it.

I haven't touched multiplayer, but worth mentioning it exists. Smart and custom matches, customize your gladiator.

Replay value 3/5
    The game is linear and can't approach even the main objectives differently. It has some collectibles. Chronicles are comics. There are total 39 and our showing some of stories related to characters in game.

Scrolls are something like personal notes and there are 27. Vistas are nice pictures of places we visited. There is also music in collectibles unlocked.

The highest difficulty (Legendary) unlocks after finishing game on Centurion (Hard). Game saves on checkpoints and we can replay by chapters as well.

Graphics 4/5
    Beautiful characters and great animations, cinematics all over the game. Some characters look a bit worse than main ones and enemies are same people, which makes it easy to differentiate their types and how to fight them.

I must mention that movement made me feel uneasy, and even after disabling the blur motion effect, I had issues, probably caused by simplistic control of character. Console port screams out loud here. Also some colored features trying to hold our hand.

Camera sometimes does not show close up executions from right angle, so we can not time them right by seeing them but sound helps despite that.

Hardware requirements?
    Mid and High gaming.

Apart from some chapters, game ran well, and when it lagged it was only short a not interrupting.

How many hours?

What games are similar?
    Gameplay: Batman: Arkham Asylum.
    Graphics: Dead Rising 4.

Verdict

It is fast burning fun. No much thinking and a lot of action moments with nice cinematics, decent story, and easy overall difficulty. I liked they added some extra touches to collectibles.

Combat gets a bit repetitive but it serves us some new features here and there, linear levels don't give this game much replay value and there's not really much to prove since game's pretty easy. Especially after we figure out how to beat bosses and time attacks.
  47. Jun 30, 2018
    Visuals can't hide messy story.
    You start the campaign and this game feels real, visually beautiful, sound is amazing, gameplay with orders and fighting feels really awesome, finishing moves are fresh and entertaining with more than one enemy at a time, and the story is longer than expected and fun throughout.
    But if all the presentation and gameplay feels better than any previous
    Visuals can't hide messy story.
    But if all the presentation and gameplay feels better than any previous attempt at a game like this, the story has been done a million times, especially in Roman times which makes the game feel more generic than ever, especially for a game that is coming out with the console... just wanna show it's capabilities and done.
    Multiplayer actually has lots of depth but too much grind and repetition for my tastes.
    In a discount price, definitely a buy.
  48. Apr 29, 2018
    A fun action game that is very visually impressive. Campaign is short but fun with focus being on the hack and slash combat. I don't think it should be bought at full price, but worth it in a sale.
  49. May 10, 2018
    Если вам скажут, что игра однообразная, то вам не солгут. Боевка отвратная, с плохим откликом нажатий, особенно это приводило в бешенство в схватках с боссами.
    Сеттинг античности дело интересное и мало раскрытое поле для деятельность, возможно поэтому мне понравилось проглядеть историю. Но не все понравилось в плане сюжета: мистицизм неуместный, никто не объясняет конкретно ничью мотивацию, в этом плане слабовато
    Crytek сами это поняли и добирали уже через систему свитков, которые можно было собирать и в меню читать, таким образом давая объяснения происходящему. Почему так нужно вопрос сценаристам.
    По техническому исполнению можно сказать, что картинка довольно крутая, если по пейзажам оценивать, если по моделям и анимации лиц все уже меньше смахивает на некст-ген, оптимизировано годно без проседании и лютого перегрева.
  50. Jun 6, 2020
    «Ryse: Son of Rome» рассказывает историю Мариуса Тита, молодого римского солдата, на глазах которого, от рук варваров, погибает вся его семья. После этого, мечтая о мести, он направляется с римской армии к Британии. Быстро добиваясь успехов, Мариус должен стать лидером войска и защитником Империи. Но вскоре он обнаруживает, что его планы по отомщению могут быть реализованы гораздо ближе к«Ryse: Son of Rome» рассказывает историю Мариуса Тита, молодого римского солдата, на глазах которого, от рук варваров, погибает вся его семья. После этого, мечтая о мести, он направляется с римской армии к Британии. Быстро добиваясь успехов, Мариус должен стать лидером войска и защитником Империи. Но вскоре он обнаруживает, что его планы по отомщению могут быть реализованы гораздо ближе к дому... Expand
  51. Nov 20, 2021
    rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  52. Nov 10, 2018
    Ryse: Son of Rome immerses you in a visual feast of what was the Roman Empire. And as you begin your quest there is a feeling that something quite extraordinary could unfold at any moment. Unfortunately intrigue turns to drudgery with a linear story, repetitive game play mechanics and a mostly non-interactive world where long cut scenes leaving you wondering why this wasn't just made into a film.
  53. Nov 19, 2020
    This was a pretty decent game which has some flaws but they are not overwhelming.The Visuals 70% of the time are pretty amazing and beautiful showing you great environments , and action.There were some pretty badly animated parts but those were like 10 % of all the Visuals and the other 20% were just alright and nothing special. The story is pretty basic and has a charm of a decentThis was a pretty decent game which has some flaws but they are not overwhelming.The Visuals 70% of the time are pretty amazing and beautiful showing you great environments , and action.There were some pretty badly animated parts but those were like 10 % of all the Visuals and the other 20% were just alright and nothing special. The story is pretty basic and has a charm of a decent revenge story but don't expect any epic twists, I disliked the part where there were suddenly some God's playing a game outta nowhere that was pretty weak. Gameplay is one of the weakest parts for me due the fact that after 1 hour it becomes just doing a mundane task of killing waves of enemies that only have like 4 skins and barely change , clear this wave , push that thing , defend that point, get's boring as hell really fast. Music was pretty good and the voice acting was alright for the most parts. Multiplayer is the same as single player but with other players(Woah I know) 7/10 Expand
  54. Oct 26, 2020
    Ryse: Son of Rome
    Игра с самого начала привлекла меня своей атмосферой. Рим в нулевых веках нашей эры, да еще и с упором на реализм, мало в каких играх можно встретить.
    Ryse: Son of Rome
    Начав прохождение, я сразу же понял, что в игре присутствуют как блестящие достоинства, так и заметные недостатки. В игре великолепные графика и анимация, и это неудивительно, ведь разработкой занималась студия Crytek, подарившая миру Crysis, игру, которая некогда привнесла графический некстген в игровую индустрию. Некоторые анимационные детали поражали. В одном моменте главный герой потягивает носом, но делает это аккуратно, будто прочищая его, с соответствующей анимацией и звуком к ней. Такое внимание к деталям не может не радовать. Этому прекрасно аккомпанирует постановка драк и в целом кат-сцен. В какие-то моменты ты можешь забыть, что играешь в игру жанра экшен. Также все это дополняет довольно крепкий сюжет, который может и не заслуживает Оскар, из-за некоторых предсказуемых частей, но тем не менее может удивить и заинтересовать игрока.
    Но, к сожалению, не обошлось и без недостатков. Оптимизация удивила и огорчила, ведь игре 2014 года не престало проседать до 30 ФПС на сборке из Ryzen 2600, 2070 Super и 16 ГБ ОЗУ. И вторым минусом, лично для меня, стала боевка. К 20-30 % игры ты практически идеально научишься блокировать, отражать, бить и наносить финальные удары, но проблема в том, что остается еще 70% прохождения, во время которых экшен моменты уже не могут привнести ничего нового.
  55. Apr 5, 2021
    Pretty fun slasher style game, with very pretty graphics (Cryengine) and decent gameplay mechanics.
  56. Sep 19, 2021
    Really immersive, amazing graphics, great cutscenes, terrific environment and lighting, great voice acting, awesome combos and executions, decent face animations and guaranteed epicness. Bloody moves and scenes are to be expected. Developers also thought they could add some interesting fight mechanics and it was a good choice.

Unfortunately this package goes with some unavoidable flaws:

Unfortunately this package goes with some unavoidable flaws: the optimization is awful, the game quickly becomes repetitive (and especially fights) despite its ten hour-long storymode, minor bugs, its price (which has decreased a lot over the years however), lots of QTE's and random mini games and the not-that-original story. Still a good game to me.
  57. Aug 1, 2019
    Me parece un juego espectacular gráficamente,no tiene una gran historia(pero resulta entretenida)pero la duración y una dificultad baja, han hecho que disfrute de un producto entretenido y fugaz.
    le he disfrutado y lo recomiendo,abstenerse gente que busque un argumento complejo o unas mecánicas de juego complicadas,es lo que es un producto para entretener y cumple con creces.
    un saludo.
  58. Sep 9, 2019
    "Rome won't fall"

Technical analysis summary Graphics: 9.5 Sound: 7.5 Playability: 7.0 Longevity: 6.0 Impact: 7.5 Pro + Astonishing graphics + Gore and adrenaline + Evocative music and beautiful sceneries + Interesting character development system for both Single and Multi player + Collectibles, Multiplayer items and Achievements lengthen the gaming experience... Cons
    "Rome won't fall"

Technical analysis summary

Graphics: 9.5
    Sound: 7.5
    Playability: 7.0
    Longevity: 6.0
    Impact: 7.5

Pro
    + Astonishing graphics
    + Gore and adrenaline
    + Evocative music and beautiful sceneries
    + Interesting character development system for both Single and Multi player

Cons
    - ... but the whole experience is quite short and the replayability is, however, not so high
    - The plot, despite the good narration, is not particularly deep or original and also has some holes
    - The main characters are poorly deepened during the story, notwithstanding the optimal individual design and the good voice acting
    - Gameplay repetitiveness and little variety in almost any aspect of the game
    - Alternates epic moments and situations to almost banal ones

Overall Verdict

7.5: Technically solid and with a few game modes, for both single and multi player, Ryse: Son of Rome is a good and absolutely entertaining game.
    Even though not advisable at full price given the overall experience, the game is capable of giving great satisfaction and excitement to all action games lovers thanks to its pace, its immediacy and its visuals. With a thicker plot it could have been a small gem.
    Interesting online component (it does remind me of Spartacus Legends) but already poor of players. Worthy in Co-op with a friend.

PC Optimization as of 25/11/2016

The game is absolutely playable and, despite the demanding requirements, is totally solid in the whole structure. The multiplayer works properly but it should have more online options. All in all a well optimized game.
  59. Feb 26, 2020
    An average, mindless button masher with serviceable story and characters. The visuals and setting hold the game up.
  60. Jun 17, 2020
    Juego con mucho potencial que por desgracia no es aprovechado.
    Positivo: los gráficos y la ambientación son espectaculares, el sonido y las ejecuciones también son destacables.
    Negativo: el juego es bastante repetitivo y simple y la historia es demasiado inverosímil (Boudica en Roma a lomos de un elefante WTF).
  61. Nov 19, 2019
    The major flaw of this game is not a outstanding visuals or very decent story but a repetitive.
    Event upgrade mechanics is takes to minimum.
  62. Dec 8, 2020
    Wasted potential. Game to forget.

Wasted potential. Game to forget.

Another very good looking game (sometimes even outstanding when we talk about graphics and views) from Crytek (optimalization, as always, should be better btw), with maybe not original, but story interesting enough to make solid campaign. Nevertheless, it didn't happen, campaign is too short and definately not exciting, but the main disadvantage is boring fight. After playing Shadow of Mordor/War, my expectations and requirements in this matter were much higher.

Boring fight made this combat game dull. All your enemies with only few faces. It makes it even worse.
  63. Feb 12, 2020
    Well it has amazing graphics and thats it. Combat is repetitive and by the books but its not boring. Story is very fotgettable and meh. But still a good game worth playing, thankfully its short if it was longer I wouldnt recommend it.
  64. May 10, 2020
    Nice visuals and nice ambientation but thats pretty much it. Combat feels a bit repetitive. The game is really short and story is just a regular one.
  65. Jul 31, 2020
    average game. best thing about it was the graphics. then id say gameplay/combat. then the story. the story moved too fast, not enough development or depth that i wouldve liked. and the maps were not as complicated as i wouldve liked . i played this on gamepass. it was a short game. i could see why this would have lower reviews. id be mad too if i paid $60 for this
  66. Dec 14, 2020
    A game that needs more credit as it's not played enough. I honestly loved this game and it truly had the potential to become great.

I had a lot of fun playing the campaign for this game. It wasn't very challenging and it was visually pleasing. The game looks and feels amazing. I had frame drops and you definitely need a good PC to run this to max or maybe the developers have

The game looks and feels amazing.

I had frame drops and you definitely need a good PC to run this to max or maybe the developers have failed at optimizing the game.

The story feels great and for the first time playing as a Roman Centurion/General, it felt amazing. I loved to see bits and pieces of military strategies used, was repetitive here and there, but overall it is a game you have to try out before anything else.

I recommend playing Ryse without a doubt.
  67. Jan 31, 2021
    The story is too short. The graphics are exquisite. Nice action. An ideal game.
  68. Mar 12, 2021
    GÜMÜŞ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  69. Nov 10, 2021
    Apesar de ser curto e muito simples, eu aprecio a experiência que esse jogo transmite. Os gráficos continuam incríveis, 8 anos depois.
  70. Feb 9, 2022
    Quite short, good graphic, nice and repetitive gameplay and good setting. The problem is that this game feels like a tech demo and the developers didn't want to invest more resources to create an actual game. Action games set during Roman era are not common so I hope for a sort of sequel
  71. Apr 23, 2022
    Rome was great , So could've been Ryse sadly it's not.
    When i started this game i was amazed at how great it was sadly it's downward spiral.
    Graphics: This is where this game shines it's incredible not the level of rdr2 or cyberpunk ofc but consider this game came out in 2014 that's insane i give 10/10 Gameplay: Despite ppl complaing about it being repetetive i disagree it's fairly
    Rome was great , So could've been Ryse sadly it's not.

Gameplay: Despite ppl complaing about it being repetetive i disagree it's fairly similiar to God Of War ( the new one) executions are fun to do and watch however lack of more skills and fighting options is dissapointing even a several executions involving 3 enemies at once and would have made a diffrence here neverthless it's second strongest aspect of game i give it 8/10.

Sound: It's perfectly average there's nothing good or bad about it 6/10

Plot: It's weak very weak in fact it's basiccly giant revenge ark for main protagonist which could've been incredible if there was actually some character building and plot building beside endless slaying of enemies i won't even go into plot holes 3/10

Length: This is not really category but must be stated at the equivalent of hard difficulty it took me a bit over 5h to bet the game which is very short for single player game i infact remember several longer campaings in games like CoD or BF. The issue is compounded by the fact that there's nothing to do after it yes you can theoreticlly play through campaign again but i doubt many will be interested in that the saviour here could have been arena but multiplayer is dead and singleplayer there is a joke i can of the top of my head name several cool modes that could have been implemented there like some survival with increasingly difficult enemies time attack etc. i give this category 1/10

Concluding this could've been an incredible game but it was either rushed of they run out of time or it was just plain laziness i don't know it's just a waste of potential in my opinion i give this game 7/10 i spend nice 5h in there considering i got the game for 1 Euro i find it acceptable but at higher prices it's really not worth it in my opinion.
  72. Jun 4, 2022
    Графон для 2014 тупо мое почтение. Всё остальное полный пиздец. Сюжет под пиво. Люблю Рим. P.S Игре иногда нужен таймер.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 27 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 15, 2015
    If you are in the mood to spend a weekend enjoying some graphic ultra-violence with your brain turned off, then Ryse: Son of Rome should make a nice addition to your library, especially if you can find it on a Steam sale.
  2. CD-Action
    Jan 9, 2015
    It treats players like drooling idiots that expect games to play themselves. [13/2014, p.62]
  3. Nov 11, 2014
    Ryse is very simplistic, but at least it’s beautiful to look at. No wonder Microsoft made it a launch title for Xbox One – it is an ideal introduction to slashers. Unfortunately, if you have played other, better-designed games, Ryse will quickly disappoint you.