5.6

1. Oct 20, 2015
    It is fun to be a part of a beloved story in Forgotten Realms. There is real intrigue, here, which keeps me going. The graphics are decent, and the voice acting is OK. Sadly, I was expecting a reflection of table top AD&D, and what I got was an action RPG light with a Wow-like skill tree system with little customization. the party AI is absolutely DREADFUL. Seriously, seriously bad. IIt is fun to be a part of a beloved story in Forgotten Realms. There is real intrigue, here, which keeps me going. The graphics are decent, and the voice acting is OK. Sadly, I was expecting a reflection of table top AD&D, and what I got was an action RPG light with a Wow-like skill tree system with little customization. the party AI is absolutely DREADFUL. Seriously, seriously bad. I don't think one can even make your party play roles like in other RPGs. Overall, the game feels unfinished. It's unfortunate that there are no PC of bard, druid, sorcerer, etc. I wouldn't recommend the game, honestly. Such a disappointment. Expand
  2. Oct 20, 2015
    It's not a faithful representation of the D&D system (which is a bit of a missed opportunity to show off 5e), and the editor is nowhere near as great as the ones from the Neverwinter Nights games, but it's certainly not a bad game by any means. There's enough here to keep a Forgotten Realms fan satisfied, at least until games like Torment: Tides of Numenera to come out. However, for anIt's not a faithful representation of the D&D system (which is a bit of a missed opportunity to show off 5e), and the editor is nowhere near as great as the ones from the Neverwinter Nights games, but it's certainly not a bad game by any means. There's enough here to keep a Forgotten Realms fan satisfied, at least until games like Torment: Tides of Numenera to come out. However, for an RPG coming out in an era where developers are realizing that there's a market for "old school" RPGs, the lack of options for characters is kinda jarring.

I still hope companies realize that Neverwiter Nights wasn't liked because of it's story, but because it provided a ton of options and a ton of content.
  3. Oct 20, 2015
    I've got about 40 hours on it thanks to the head starts. I definitely think they have more work to do with it but overall I quite enjoyed it. I'd give it a 7.5/10.
  4. Oct 20, 2015
    Story mode is ok but if you are epecting 5e D&D you will disappointed. There are skill trees for example. You want fireball? You can have it but you have to spend skill points to upgrade it to fireball II and III.

N-space also sold this game on the DM tools and tried to rid the coat tails of the NWN editor. If you are expecting anything close to NWN you will very disappointed. N-spaces bar for the DM tools is that they wanted to make it so easy an 8 year old could use it. Having done that they have limited it so much there is no way to make an EPIC adventure as stated in one of their selling points.

The game as it stands right now would be ok if you can catch it on sale for less than $30. Maybe after a year of updates it will be something special.
  5. Oct 25, 2015
    I played a lot more to the game. Multiplayer get better after some time.

Overall if the company patch correctly the game perhaps this would be good.
  6. Apr 25, 2016
    I think a lot of my sense of blah comes from the 5e ruleset. I hated Neverwinter because character building was so dumbed down with 4e. Dragon Age lost it's magic for me in Inquisition because Bioware went down that same path...super dumbed down and kind of pointless. I love 3.5 because of the choices and the ability to create something somewhat new every time. I get that it's unique.I think a lot of my sense of blah comes from the 5e ruleset. I hated Neverwinter because character building was so dumbed down with 4e. Dragon Age lost it's magic for me in Inquisition because Bioware went down that same path...super dumbed down and kind of pointless. I love 3.5 because of the choices and the ability to create something somewhat new every time. I get that it's unique. New devs think everyone coming into gaming is too stupid to make choices regarding their characters which seems self-defeating, but I digress.

Sword Coast character creation feels like Dragon Age: Origins character creation with one significant change: every stat is capped at 20. That's right, you'll be working for a 20/20/20/20/20/20 toon...making the entire leveling up thing feel more than a little pointless. I enjoyed the hell out DA:O and part of it was the fact that they offered just enough choice to make the characters not feel pointless.

Now if they want to base it on 5e but take some liberties for the sake of the game, perhaps the entire game would feel less blah and the next level my character takes would feel worthwhile instead of...blah.

As is, it's playable, but quickly becomes blah once you start hitting that 20 stat cap wall.
  7. Dec 19, 2015
    It's a fun game, but don't expect it to be D&D 5E. While the combat mechanics are there, the classes have nothing barely anything in common with their PnP counterparts save the names.
    The tools, while user-friendly, are sadly limited and basically rely on a live DM to handle everything but he most basic interactions. At the time of this review, there are no placeable triggers, no custom exit/entry points, no custom loot, no way to include meaningful dialog. Quest exp is fixed by level and monsters scale to your party level and have vastly inflated hitpoints, which doesn't help to bring a D&D feel.

Some of the issues I have with SCL can be solved by mods, others will have to fixed by the devs.
  8. Jan 3, 2017
    Very nice, pretty little rpg. I must say it has delicious atmosphere and absolutely brilliant characters (mostly due to professional voice acting). In some terms it stands out over the Pillars of eternity. Only thing is it gets boring here and there, and is quite short. But for the price is a good quality. Very unfair score, its a true 7.5/10
  9. Nov 5, 2015
    I really liked this game. The main problem is false advertising that this is new Baldurs gate. The 5th edition of DnD is different system than this game have, but it is still solid game. It feels like something between dragon age 1 and dungeon siege (that is quite wierd, one would expect that this game vill play like a DnD game, but it does not).
    Game that fails in implementing DnD rules,
    Game that fails in implementing DnD rules, but does not fail as solid RPG game. I would rate i slightli lower, but Forgotten realms setting is so good, that i have to give it one more, than the game really is.
  10. Nov 7, 2015
    I have a lot of mixed feelings about Sword Coast Legends. Basically it is a love/hate relationship. As a hardcore D&D player I wish it would have stayed more true to the brand's actual rules. As a Dungeon Master I wish it would have more options and tools to make the ultimate D&D sandbox game. Initially I predicted the game would fail, and it did, hard. Reviews on Steam are mixed. I evenI have a lot of mixed feelings about Sword Coast Legends. Basically it is a love/hate relationship. As a hardcore D&D player I wish it would have stayed more true to the brand's actual rules. As a Dungeon Master I wish it would have more options and tools to make the ultimate D&D sandbox game. Initially I predicted the game would fail, and it did, hard. Reviews on Steam are mixed. I even went and proved most of the positive reviews were from shill accounts in one forum thread.

Right now I rate the game a 6. The story is decent enough and most of the characters are enjoyable. I hate Jarhild because she's one of those confrontational lesbians with a bad haircut and a nose ring. To make it worse she is one of the first characters introduced in the story and there is no option to permanently kill her or kick her out of your party for good even though her actual relevance to the plot is zero, zilch, nada. All she does is tell you to go meet Belamy at a bridge, which causes most of her camp to die. Then she tells you to go visit an old Guild Hall. After that she has no connection to the story whatsoever but tags along anyway and so she feels forced upon you.

The DM mode right now is far too limited. However the devs have been very receptive to feedback and criticism. Unlike most game devs they won't just ban you for trolling their forum, they will listen to you and try their best to make things right. That is why I'm optimistic about the future of this game. Over the next two months we will be getting a new race, a new class, a tile based level editor, loot tables, and all kinds of other goodies for Dungeon Masters to use. After the DM tools have been improved I will increase my rating to a 7 or 8 accordingly.

Oh and another thing this game is really easy to hack.
  11. Oct 22, 2015
    Swimming in an odd mixture of potential and mediocrity. Despite being a big fan of NWN I wasn't expecting something as large in scope, but I was expecting dungeon creation in line with other current gen games like Neverwinter. I understand the constraints in transferring a tabletop game into a video game, but I expected some semblance of adherence to the 5E ruleset, especially with theSwimming in an odd mixture of potential and mediocrity. Despite being a big fan of NWN I wasn't expecting something as large in scope, but I was expecting dungeon creation in line with other current gen games like Neverwinter. I understand the constraints in transferring a tabletop game into a video game, but I expected some semblance of adherence to the 5E ruleset, especially with the simplification of advantage/disadvantage.

Sad to say that I sleep better at night knowing after playing in early release, that I told my friends to hold off until they address the communities concerns, especially since they(we) have been pretty clear as to what we expected.

No orcs, kobolds, lizardmen, gnolls, etc, etc, etc...
  12. Nov 3, 2015
    Not bad but......

It is a mediocre game that are new modules that give more life pass without glory in the genre. Too easy and too linear. -The story is fairly typical, with few choices. Everything is based on kill or not to kill, be good or be bad. -The combat system is simple and have enough skills to customize, but in the end no matter which way you choose, it comes down to
    Not bad but......

Too easy and too linear.

-The combat system is simple and have enough skills to customize, but in the end no matter which way you choose, it comes down to stun, paralyze, sleep and repeat.
    -Most Skills areas are an ornament, because the system greatly benefits the enemy by enemy go.
    -The Difficulty is a joke, playing on the hardest level to level the game just 16 without needing a priest and you have 43,563,456 potions / scrolls unused.
    -The Way to equip the characters is too random and meaningless, the full lightning wizards and other characters to physical damage and begin the walk ...

Who expect a new Baldurs Gate not find it here, and there are better alternatives as PoE or Divinity, but is entertaining and can improve in the future with good modules.
  13. Oct 26, 2015
    The Dungeon Master mode is a complete failure, but the single player campaign is passable, if you can get past the simplification of character progression and combat. Some of the exploration and such is done well, with a lot of secrets and stuff to find, but some areas may seem a bit repetitive and encounter design is nowhere near as inspired as, say, Icewind Dale or even the originalThe Dungeon Master mode is a complete failure, but the single player campaign is passable, if you can get past the simplification of character progression and combat. Some of the exploration and such is done well, with a lot of secrets and stuff to find, but some areas may seem a bit repetitive and encounter design is nowhere near as inspired as, say, Icewind Dale or even the original Neverwinter Nights campaign (which had, if nothing else, a high amount of variety in enemies). The longer I play, the more issues I have with it, which is kinda ironic because the game actually picks up quite a bit after the first chapter.

Apart from stuff like skill trees for wizards that people already complain about a lot, there are two issues that really bother me. One is the use of a ridiculous sort of level scaling that will actually make you wish for Oblivion's system. Be prepared to fight , at level 9, ordinary rats that take more than a few hits to go down. Another issue is the use of only one slot for saving (which means if you screw up something, want to try out another option in a quest or encounter a bug (of which there are a few), you're stuck if the game is saved after that. Also note that the one save slot includes quicksaving and autosaving.

Overall, I can't recommend it. If you're a D&D lore addict like I am, then I'd wait until the price is seriously knocked down or rent/borrow it.
  14. Oct 21, 2015
    If you are coming to this game expecting a "Dungeon and Dragon" game you will be disappointed,

However, if you come into this game with no expectations whatsoever, The game is actually pretty Enjoyable!
  15. Oct 21, 2015
    There is some major flaws in this game. First D&D is dumbed down. This is 5 edition so really forget that classical feel of character build Second dialogues . There is no option to review conversation or even stop and read what NPC is telling us. If You alt-tab during conversation there is no quick way to view it. Also big problem is non scaling UI. Font is small and Your eyes will beThere is some major flaws in this game. First D&D is dumbed down. This is 5 edition so really forget that classical feel of character build Second dialogues . There is no option to review conversation or even stop and read what NPC is telling us. If You alt-tab during conversation there is no quick way to view it. Also big problem is non scaling UI. Font is small and Your eyes will be hurting like hell. Expand
  16. Nov 3, 2015
    This is a great little game for what it is. It is not the next best thing...it is not really digital dungeons and dragons but it is a simple and elegant CRPG. I love that I can run random dungeons or even create/DM dungeons with my wife and a few friends. I would love to see a few changes but I'm sure in time they will accommodate most of the obvious issues facing players. I'd like to seeThis is a great little game for what it is. It is not the next best thing...it is not really digital dungeons and dragons but it is a simple and elegant CRPG. I love that I can run random dungeons or even create/DM dungeons with my wife and a few friends. I would love to see a few changes but I'm sure in time they will accommodate most of the obvious issues facing players. I'd like to see a better camera system...you can only get so close to the action...and a far better looting system when playing random on line dungeons...first come first serve does not work as people suck and ruin it for everyone. Eventually I believe this game will be far more then it is and I look forward to some good gaming. Expand
  17. Jan 22, 2016
    immersion: The game offers combat,plot, and player agency for immersion. Combat is either real time or pause and command. Both of these work well and are full of options. This brings up the topic of player agency, one of the game's plusses and minuses. There are plenty of options for the player to create a character which looks like they want and has the stats and abilities they'd like.immersion: The game offers combat,plot, and player agency for immersion. Combat is either real time or pause and command. Both of these work well and are full of options. This brings up the topic of player agency, one of the game's plusses and minuses. There are plenty of options for the player to create a character which looks like they want and has the stats and abilities they'd like. The issue is so few of these actually seem to matter after the game starts (7.5/15).
    Difficulty: Difficulty is not adjustable. Control setup should be familiar and does not contribute overly to difficulty. The game does not however explain some important concepts very well, like Armour class (AC)(6/15).
    Lasting Appeal: multiple classes do provide some replay value. different spells or weapons can offer some as well. The value is limited though as repetition brings to the fore the repetitive nature of the conversation options which repeat conversation options. The game may be meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard, but playing with a controller improves the replay value and is easy to set-up(7/15).
  18. Dec 25, 2017
    [7.1] Sword Coast Legends - игра предвосхищённых ожиданий. Типичный представитель жанра партийных ARPG, где от игрока требуется следовать линейному повествованию и выполнять несложные задачи, к таковым играм относятся Temple of Elemental Evil и Icewind Dale, при этом сам Sword Coast Legends старается быть похожим на Neverwinter Nights и Dragon Age: Origins. В основе игры знаменитый сеттинг[7.1] Sword Coast Legends - игра предвосхищённых ожиданий. Типичный представитель жанра партийных ARPG, где от игрока требуется следовать линейному повествованию и выполнять несложные задачи, к таковым играм относятся Temple of Elemental Evil и Icewind Dale, при этом сам Sword Coast Legends старается быть похожим на Neverwinter Nights и Dragon Age: Origins. В основе игры знаменитый сеттинг Forgotten Realms и пламенный мотор Dungeons & Dragons 5, прекрасное визуальное наполнение, редактор карт и мультиплеер, музыку написал именитый композитор Inon Zur, впервые сюжет затрагивает города Лускан и Граклстаг. В наличие все необходимые ингредиенты для создания качественной самодостаточной CRPG, но вопреки достоинствам игра получилась на удивление неоднозначной. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 39 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 27, 2017
    Sword Coast Legends has overreached far beyond its abilities. What might have been a fine successor to Neverwinter Nights is instead a playable, but dull experience for every playstyle it offers. Dungeons & Dragons brand name represents a long lineage of CRPGs. Some excellent, some considerably less so. I, personally, had hoped that this entry could have been the former, given its ambitions to the Neverwinter Nights lineage, but ultimately this game fails to interest for any length of time.
  2. Jun 7, 2016
    Sword Coast Legend is a game that combines great story-telling with character development. The gameplay provides a good experience by customization but does not manage to keep the experience entirely fluid with consistent bugs and glitches which riddle the game.
  3. Jan 22, 2016
    In the noble attempt to resuscitate the original Dungeons and Dragons brand in a videogame, the developers really messed things up, as the gameplay is a mixed bag, and not all mechanics work as they should.