Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
Tyranny - Announcement Trailer
Nov 14, 2016With a rushed third act and a few frustrating quirks here and there, Tyranny falls just short of reaching the legendary heights of the games that inspired it. Obsidian has, however, once again delivered on their pedigree with an engrossing and inventive story of betrayal and tyrannical rule. This game is a must-play for fans of isometric narrative roleplaying games.
Nov 10, 2016This is not a game that can properly be played casually as it is simply too complex and too vast to get the full experience from fifteen minutes a day. Mastering the nuances of everything that is offered and learning how to best interact with each faction and party member will take time. For those who have the time and desire, however, this is one of the more rewarding time sink titles available. With the winter months on the horizon, Tyranny is a highly-recommended game to lock yourself away with while waiting for the weather to warm up.
Nov 16, 2016Tyranny offers a few fresh, well-thought-out mechanics and fragments of really engrossing story, between longer periods of terribly boring combat. Open ending is not good, either - all we get after 40 hours is a suggestion that the interesting bits were saved for a sequel.
Nov 10, 2016So far a very sophisticated piece of game!
If you just liked Pillars of Eternity you will LOVE Tyranny!
Prerequisite is to have some evilSo far a very sophisticated piece of game!
If you just liked Pillars of Eternity you will LOVE Tyranny!
Prerequisite is to have some evil in you. ;)… Expand
Nov 19, 2016The game is fun and the story is quite original for an RPG. That said, do not buy this game seeking an Obsidian experience - this is in manyThe game is fun and the story is quite original for an RPG. That said, do not buy this game seeking an Obsidian experience - this is in many ways a Bioware game. Yes, there will be some Obsidian-quality writing, but most of the writing team are young devs who joined Obsidian for the development of South Park: The Stick of Truth and they have different sensibilities when it comes to writing. It feels like Obsidian made a Bioware-game, BUT with an original twist that doesn't involve saving the world - in that regard it's still an Obsidian title. So buy this if you enjoyed the gameplay and the writing quality of Dragon Age: Origins, but wished the plot was more interesting than saving a kingdom from evil monsters.… Expand
Dec 21, 2016This game is the best CRPG since Baldur's Gate 2! It really grabbed me and kept me interested to the end. If there was ever a case for anThis game is the best CRPG since Baldur's Gate 2! It really grabbed me and kept me interested to the end. If there was ever a case for an episodic RPG - this is it!
Did no one else notice the similarities to the Malazan Book of the Fallen? Kyros and Bleden Mark - Kelanved and Dancer, Archons - Ascendants, Scarlet Chorus - Malazan Marines etc...
Great characters and companions but if I had one complaint it is that Obsidian seems squeamish when it comes to deep characterization/relationships - one of the reasons BG 2 is superior. The companions end up a little flat. Here's hoping Obsidian takes it to the next level!… Expand
Dec 10, 2016Good points:
* Combat mechanics * Story makes you want to play it multiple times. * Classic RPG * Cool magic system * Nice 2D art in anGood points:
* Combat mechanics
* Story makes you want to play it multiple times.
* Classic RPG
* Cool magic system
* Nice 2D art in an isometric setting
* For some reason this makes me want an HTML5/WebGL multiplayer version, where you can choose your faction from the ones in the story.
Why not a 10?
* Story has loose ends. I guess you have to leave something for Tyranny 2 (which I will be buying if it comes out)
* Not sure how crafting worked.… Expand
Nov 19, 2016Having finished this game recently, I have to change my perfect 10 score to this. My enthusiasm was all about this game being a real successorHaving finished this game recently, I have to change my perfect 10 score to this. My enthusiasm was all about this game being a real successor to classical text based isometric rpgs. Having a good fantasy setting also effected my original 10 score. The only problem was that I was too quick to review this game and here are the glaring reasons:
- Combat is good at first but as you play through the ai involved in it is even dumber than classic rpgs such as nwn, bg etc. You can exploit the stupidy of ai to a point that it feels cheesy and disconnecting you from the world. One example would be the aggro ranges. Which is mostly individual. You can have two other enemies still having conversations while the other half of the group attacks you just because you are in range. Don't even get me started on the sorry and disfunctional "stealth" system.
- Story is up to a point amazing. All of a sudden everything takes an abrubt and absurd turn where all of the unique mechanics introduced in this game feel unnecessary and novel. Some of the mechanics are not even implemented at all and just there for the sake of being there. The story takes a riddiculous turn as if the whole story is finished by a 10 yr old who does not know how to create relatable connections or general consistency. If your read the bleach manga then you probably understand this. I don't want to spoil the story but you can only understand this if you finish the game.… Expand
Feb 6, 2017TIER 3
+ Very interesting worldbuilding -- culture, locations, set pieces, and rules to magic all have compelling elements that excite andTIER 3
+ Very interesting worldbuilding -- culture, locations, set pieces, and rules to magic all have compelling elements that excite and drive the player forwards.
+ The branching storytelling feels good on a first run-through (though my other concerns push me away from any subsequent playthroughs).
? The gameplay is basic and serviceable. The exploration doesn't at all try to build on the genre, in fact feels tacked on after the fact. The combat is alright.
- Regardless of how interesting the world is, it's all delivered in mostly bland exposition. It seems the writers at Obsidian are more interested in building out all the extra details and far less concerned with delivering those details in a meaningful way to the player -- a style of writing that isn't even defensible in novels.… Expand
Sep 8, 2017Forced Cutscenes mean that I gave it 30 seconds, still mashing away on the keys and the introduction kept going.... kept going.... kept going.Forced Cutscenes mean that I gave it 30 seconds, still mashing away on the keys and the introduction kept going.... kept going.... kept going. Unfortunately it kept going for longer than I have patience. Alt+F4. 1/10. Please learn to add "Skip this **** with any key".… Expand