7.7

1. Oct 24, 2015
    I simply love it. It gives me the shivers. It's not just a clone, AWSOME! The leverls are good, except that shipyard level , that was way too fast to complete, but every other level was fun and challenging so far!
  2. Sep 28, 2016
    Love this game! Super intense... and relies on players to work together. Sort of a mixture of Diablo level/gear grinds with Left 4 Dead wave battles.

FatShark developers if you read this more content, more heroes, more everything!
  3. Dec 10, 2015
    It's a Warhammer game, so deduct 4 points from every review by a positive Warhammer fan to get accurate results.

It's like Left 4 Dead, but with an awful campaign, horrible matchmaking, depopulated servers, poorer gameplay. I played L4D for hundreds of hours, I played this for about 14 and uninstalled.
  4. Oct 29, 2015
    Almost a great game. This is a solid four person first person coop game with a strong focus on melee combat. However, the limited amount of content, heavy reliance on randomness to drive (slow)progression, and unforgiving game play may be off putting to some.
  5. Oct 23, 2015
    What initially seemed like a l4d copy quickly blew me away with original and satisfying depth. The game keeps me guessing even after multiple playthroughs of every beta mission and most of the regular ones, I can honestly say I've never before felt both desperate and exhilarated to this extent ever before in a video game.

To be honest i haven't rated this a 10 yet simply because there

To be honest i haven't rated this a 10 yet simply because there are some small balance issues at the highest levels of difficulty and i havent finished it yet.

For the price, you can't go wrong, and if you have a party of 4 you will have the best co op experience this side of killing floor 2 since l4d took gamers by storm.
  6. Oct 24, 2015
    Absolutely Nails the dark Warhammer atmosphere. Yes rats behave much like zombies, yet it's deeply refreshing to see the horde in a different guise, and such a compelling one at that. The rat army is so extraordinarily alive. The animations are entirely convincing, and the sound direction is superlative: the Stormvermin marching chant - 'keep left, keep left...' a terrifying warning of aAbsolutely Nails the dark Warhammer atmosphere. Yes rats behave much like zombies, yet it's deeply refreshing to see the horde in a different guise, and such a compelling one at that. The rat army is so extraordinarily alive. The animations are entirely convincing, and the sound direction is superlative: the Stormvermin marching chant - 'keep left, keep left...' a terrifying warning of a tough fight to come; the snicker of the gutter runner, the roar of the rat ogre. You'll learn these sounds and grow to fear them, and then to prepare for them, each signalling its unique kind of fight. Technically it's flawless - everything is extremely responsive, the combat has a wonderful sense of weight and impact. The levels are varied and all interesting in their own right. Loot comes steadily but not in abundance... you'll really appreciate that blue. But more than loot, you will relish learning how to play this game, its nuances and its foibles. Watching a video of this just doesn't do this justice. It has to be experienced. Expand
  7. Oct 24, 2015
    The game is realy enjoyble I will give it 10 if ther will be some more skil in male weapon figth and more armies from Warhammer I hope they will make expansion with maby Orks and Chaos I realy want to se some more Heroes like Elf warior or maby some Barbarian, Crazy Monk or Bretonian havy armor kghnght. Now its Like Diablo 3 withaout Expansion. AND WOOO WHAT IF THEY MAKE GAME LIKE THIS INThe game is realy enjoyble I will give it 10 if ther will be some more skil in male weapon figth and more armies from Warhammer I hope they will make expansion with maby Orks and Chaos I realy want to se some more Heroes like Elf warior or maby some Barbarian, Crazy Monk or Bretonian havy armor kghnght. Now its Like Diablo 3 withaout Expansion. AND WOOO WHAT IF THEY MAKE GAME LIKE THIS IN WARHAMMER 40K uniwersy MABY SPACE HULK 3 ? Expand
  8. Nov 10, 2015
    Fantastic setting (WAR world at the end times), great idea to copy the L4D model....Where it starts to fall down is the execution and then falls flat entirely in stability and features as advertised. I could go into a lot of detail, but after less than the 2h minimum playtime I gave up: multiple crashes, each resulting in a total loss of the time invested in the current game session andFantastic setting (WAR world at the end times), great idea to copy the L4D model....Where it starts to fall down is the execution and then falls flat entirely in stability and features as advertised. I could go into a lot of detail, but after less than the 2h minimum playtime I gave up: multiple crashes, each resulting in a total loss of the time invested in the current game session and no bug report / error message to check for, AI useless so if you lose a team-mate it's essentially game over (and don't even think about trying to play with all bots, no chance). No offline mode for play with bots (see above). Buggy as hell Ratmen, frequent deaths of player character due to clippiing into scenery. Instant disconnect and loss of game session and all progress if you get a steam disconnect while playing...The list goes on. First and last Fatshark product i'll buy frankly...I'm amazed by the reviews on this game i.e. that they are largely positive. Let's not even start on the piss poor loot system and arbitary rolling + rather silly 'buff your role' mechanic that frankly turns the game from a challenge into a near impossibility. Expand
  9. Oct 23, 2015
    This game is a better version of Left 4 Dead I would say, and on top of that it's in a Warhammer scenario. Can't go wrong. I have played it non stop since it was released, and then some with the betas.
  10. Oct 23, 2015
    I love that game :D

netcode and performance are great.
    long motivation with items crafting and leveling
    Coop fun is fpr me better than left4 dead.
  11. Oct 25, 2015
    A breath of fresh air in a market saturated with sub par offerings.

A breath of fresh air in a market saturated with sub par offerings.

The mood is tense, the atmosphere gritty and steeped in the dark fantasy of Warhammer. Character design is excellent, and the gameplay is fun and satisfying. Visuals are brilliant - music is great... there really is very little to complain about especially given the price tag. If I'm being perfectly honest - I would have paid more for this; to get such a fun experience for the price is almost unheard of nowadays.

Sure - there are one or two rough edges. Some have noted optimization is needed (though I myself have a solid 80+ fps with a GTX9000TI); and there are one or two bugs still to be squashed. But what we have here is a complete game - it's great as is - but it's also a very solid foundation upon which to build. I really hope the devs got nuts adding more content and characters.

My conclusion - better than left for dead - Vermintide takes the formula and improves on it in almost every respect. Pick it up - you'll be glad you did.
  12. Oct 24, 2015
    Wow! What a fun game. Easily the best game of it's type. I loved Left 4 Dead but Vermintide takes it to a whole new level. Great atmosphere, combat, etc. Gives you that awesome feeling Left 4 Dead provided combined with an awesome rpg/grinding/loot mechanic. Makes you want to play over and over and over. Love it.
  13. Oct 25, 2015
    Very very nice game! Pimped L4D in the Warhammer universe, nice loot, perfect artstyle and the gameplay is very enjoyable!

Keep the good work up Fatshark!
  14. Oct 24, 2015
    I have to say I love this game. It's fast paced, frenetic and frenzied. The setting is immersive and beautiful.

The missions/maps all feel very well put together and require teamwork. As you progress through the difficulty the game becomes incredibly challenging and rightly so. The combat feels intuitive and responsive and the characters all feel unique. Whilst the progression can

The combat feels intuitive and responsive and the characters all feel unique.

Whilst the progression can feel grindy to me it doesn't detract from a wonderful game, if you have 4 friends to play with this game is AMAZING. I would strongly recommend.

Well done Fatshark.
  15. Oct 24, 2015
    I just came 10000 times since yesterday. It's way better than Left4Dead 2, despite the poor optimization. Anyways, has good graphics. You must buy it!
  16. Oct 26, 2015
    Being a big fan of the Left4Dead games and the Warhammer world I had to buy this game BUT still I never expect much from Games Workshop these days. Dawn of War II was the last great game I remember from them but since then I haven't really been hooked by any.

This game is different and works fantastically well. It's primarily a melee fps (maybe that's called an fpm, I dunno) but there are bows and guns in there too. The classes and deep and enjoyable to play with a crafting system that so far I have found to be rewarding and just challenging enough to keep me coming back.
    The graphical optimisation is solid, which means its runs smoothly even on the highest settings. The sound, look and feel of the streets is as close to perfect as you could have got. Teamwork pays off and the matchmaking system actually works (unlike many recent AAA titles on the market right now)!

My only gripe is that every now and again your swings and ranged hits don't feel as satisfying as they could (Left4Dead nailed this) and the controller isn't 100% optimised.

Overall: If they get the DLC right and develop this further it could be a huge title. Every Steam library should have it - Buy it - Buy it now!
  17. Oct 25, 2015
    I'm about 60+ hours in the game right now (not including previous beta events) and so far this is a totaly fun co-op horde game.
    It has great melee and ranged combat, good hit feedback and is fun to play. Higher difficulties are very challenging and definetely need good teamwork.
    If you enjoy games like L4D and don't mind a focus on melee combat this the perfect game. You can aquire

You can aquire loot and the loot system is completely random (which is not of liking for everybody) but loot is not required for you to play or to beat missions. Teamplay is everything.
  18. Oct 24, 2015
    I have not played the L4D games. But I have played Warhammer games for the last 25 years. The tabletop, RPG and computer versions. The level of absolute love and lavish detail evident in Vermintide is alone enough for me to profess my eternal respect for anyone involved in the production of this game. If you have played WFRP 3rd edition you will geek the #$%@ out over this game.I have not played the L4D games. But I have played Warhammer games for the last 25 years. The tabletop, RPG and computer versions. The level of absolute love and lavish detail evident in Vermintide is alone enough for me to profess my eternal respect for anyone involved in the production of this game. If you have played WFRP 3rd edition you will geek the #$%@ out over this game.

Fatshark have benefited greatly from GW opening up their IP. And in my humble opinion, the IP has benefited as a result of these guys' magic - even more impressive when you consider the relatively small size of their team.

I don't think I have ever played a game that I thought was designed just for me. Until I played this game, I didn't think there was one. What a SICK amount of fun.
  19. Oct 28, 2015
    hate to say it because it looked really cool, this is sadly a straight up l4d rip off, and it doesn't even do a very good job at it. its as if they took l4d director and companion ai and dropped them on their head, because your companion ai are **** retarded and will not help you. the game even directly takes the special infected and reskins them, albeit a few minor tweaks. this game getshate to say it because it looked really cool, this is sadly a straight up l4d rip off, and it doesn't even do a very good job at it. its as if they took l4d director and companion ai and dropped them on their head, because your companion ai are **** retarded and will not help you. the game even directly takes the special infected and reskins them, albeit a few minor tweaks. this game gets the 3 because its got a really cool art style and the playable characters are very interesting overall. id say your better of downloading a medieval mod for l4d2 and youll have ALOT more fun Expand
  20. Nov 8, 2015
    Poor. Very, very repetitive. Health and ammo hard to find. Upgrading weapons is nigh impossible. Unless you are playing with experienced people, you end up waiting all game to be rescued. You need to stick together. Most people do not. If you lag looking for ammo/health you get hijacked by a noose on a long stick. You die...eventually if no one comes back to rescue. No way to killPoor. Very, very repetitive. Health and ammo hard to find. Upgrading weapons is nigh impossible. Unless you are playing with experienced people, you end up waiting all game to be rescued. You need to stick together. Most people do not. If you lag looking for ammo/health you get hijacked by a noose on a long stick. You die...eventually if no one comes back to rescue. No way to kill the rat with stick.
    Too many monster bosses with Gatling guns or amped-up rats on speed with 2 knives.
    If you don't finish the session correctly, you get crap rewards.
    Some maps are larger and even after you miraculously carry bags to wagon alive, you still need to escape the map.
    Door to stairway you can open in home base. Does nothing.
    Blacksmith has no explanation of what you are supposed to do or what you gain OE LOSE by putting you very hard earned weapons in to mold.
    Just a stupid premise. Got tired after a few days. Bought based on stupid reviews on Steam. Won't make the same mistake twice.
  21. Dec 25, 2015
    This game is great. I am surprise other people that have played to l4d 1 and 2 says that this is not a good game. I love L4d 1 and 2, 1 es very very very poor if u compare with 2... and 2 have the same scenarios..... great job u can think... but people dont say nothing about that and put 9 or 10 so easy. They prefer say how it fell playing and he knows that they have mistakes, but u cantThis game is great. I am surprise other people that have played to l4d 1 and 2 says that this is not a good game. I love L4d 1 and 2, 1 es very very very poor if u compare with 2... and 2 have the same scenarios..... great job u can think... but people dont say nothing about that and put 9 or 10 so easy. They prefer say how it fell playing and he knows that they have mistakes, but u cant say there arent a good games. For me are great games that i said.

Thats the same with Vermintide, it have mistakes, it can improve, but is a great game. The style to get items maybe is not the best, but is true that is like other games like have aleatory or percents to get items like DIablo 2, 3 or others and people dont cry about that... if u play in hard level, u can get better staff... so like in other rol games... is not so good but is no the worst...

And something is true or true, it has a huge capacity of Improvement, much much much more than a L4d... is simply. More items, more mechanics, magic attacks maybe, final enemies, gear... other style of maps... tons of content. It can be a amazing game.

I put 10, i think is 8.5 or 8 because it have room for improvement, but people who say is 2, 3 or 4 is not serious. when I do not like a game, sometimes i try to know if it is because of my preferences or iis really a bad game.
  22. Dec 10, 2015
    I had a problem with this game in many of the same reasons I have with other 4 player focused games. Unless you have a group that always wants to play the same games and has an identical schedule you find yourself playing with bots or random people. Both in this game are not good. As a new player you get left behind and before you know it a special is killing you slowly with no way toI had a problem with this game in many of the same reasons I have with other 4 player focused games. Unless you have a group that always wants to play the same games and has an identical schedule you find yourself playing with bots or random people. Both in this game are not good. As a new player you get left behind and before you know it a special is killing you slowly with no way to fight back. The progression is slow and random and with frequent disconnects I found myself 60% through a map and losing everything. I think the game would be a blast if you had three friends tied up in your gaming dungeon, but otherwise it was just frustrating. Expand
  23. Jan 20, 2016
    The comparisons with Left 4 Dead are obvious and stated in pretty much anything you will read regarding this game.

So, what does that mean? It means more of the same... or does it? The strong focus on melee is what sets this game apart from its cousin. The combat is fast, frantic and great fun. It also features a basic level up and loot system to keep you playing and unlock better gear. It's a welcome addition - and is not overdone like so many other co-op focussed games, meaning a level 1 can quite happily play with a level 20 with no issues in over/underlevelling. It's great that it is done this way, since you don't require all your friends to be at the same level as you (a common problem with games such as PayDay and Borderlands).

Team-play is essential, just like L4D where wondering alone is a sure-fire way of getting yourself killed quickly. It also looks gorgeous and some of the level design is superb. The missions are a welcome addition to the standard "run to the exit" formula and make the game even more enjoyable.

Character classes are also extremely well done, with a nice variety of play-styles and even the option to further customise the classes to suit the way you like to play.

Al-round, it's a great co-op game that I would recommend to anyone interested in games like L4D.
  24. Dec 2, 2015
    With a L4D game play scheme (about time we started seeing more of this genre) but much more layers to it, Warhammer: End Times-Vermintide throws you into the Warhammer fantasy setting head first. With heavy melee fighting, 5 UNIQUE classes, varied maps with different goals and an actual end game boss level, this has finally replaced Left 4 Dead as my favourite co op game.

Highlights

Highlights
    -Beautifully dark setting
    -Entertaining voice acting
    -Craft and loot system which encourage replay
    -Different goals on different maps
    -Rewards for exploring and risk taking (will you choose to carry health or a tome to give you bonus dice for the loot role?)
    -Solid hero respawn to get you back in the game relatively soon.
    -Skill is vastly more important then just getting better upgrades.
    -Improved on (from L4D) special enemies.

Some negatives
    -May need to adjust settings to lower to compensate for high end graphics, lose out on some aesthetics.
    -Can be punishing at beginning until you learn and get comfortable with fighting styles and weapon differences.
    -Stupid, stupid hero bots tend to glitch out or ignore you as you lie bleeding. Also tend to fall off ledges.

Bottom Line: If you like L4D, fantasy settings, team work co-op, and a game that rewards skill. You should buy this.
  25. Jan 1, 2016
    The core weapon mechanics aren't that fun. Then to top it off you have to pass levels to roll a chance of a different kind of weapon. That ends up being just as boring. Just go buy left 4 dead, it's better in every way!
  26. Feb 2, 2016
    Very fun game, when it works. Lots of bugs. After reducing all CPU-intensive graphics to off or low it works decently. Still freezing my computer several times after finishing long rounds resulting in 0 xp or rewards. Quite annoying to spend a long mission on your toes then having your computer freeze or getting a message saying "Connection to Steam lost" when you're about to receive your rewards.
  27. Jul 11, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Estilo lf4 esta muy guapo para pasar el rato cómpralo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  28. Oct 28, 2015
    Very pleasantly surprised with this game! I played for around 5 hours during one of the beat tests and thought it was pretty lackluster. It definitely feels like they improved on the gameplay, or perhaps playing with friends just made it that much more fun. The game definitely plays like a less polished L4D, but the setting is far more interesting. Easily worth the $30 purchase price,Very pleasantly surprised with this game! I played for around 5 hours during one of the beat tests and thought it was pretty lackluster. It definitely feels like they improved on the gameplay, or perhaps playing with friends just made it that much more fun. The game definitely plays like a less polished L4D, but the setting is far more interesting. Easily worth the $30 purchase price, I can see getting at least a hundred hours of entertainment out of it. Expand
  29. Nov 1, 2015
    The gameplay is offset by two big problems: No variety and completely random rewards.

You run through the same grey cities/swamps/dungeons, always at night, doing the same things everywhere most of the time. Combat abilities are non-existent. Everyone has a melee weapon and a ranged weapon. No special abilities, no skills, nothing beyond blocking and attacking. Rewards... Well,

Rewards... Well, rewards are downright stupid. Gaining levels gives you nothing at all except additional trinket slots and said trinkets can't be crafted or anything. Every level you also get a white quality weapon (useless, of course). At the end of the mission you also get a random item, the quality of which depends on the amount of inconvenience your team suffered by carrying tomes and grimoires to the end of the level. The problem with that is you have no influence on what item you get or for what class. You can not do anything at all to get a certain item for your favored class except grinding the prologue over and over and over and over and over and over and over (and over).

Since the gameplay itself is rather limited with no character-specific abilities, builds or, at least, visual badassitude, unless you're a huge Warhammer fan or simply crave a four-player melee co-op, you'd best skip this until the developer expands the game vastly.
  30. Oct 25, 2015
    It would be wrong to say that it's L4D with Warhammer skins, as it managed to mess up everything that was good in L4D. Numerous bugs, clunky controls, substandard optimization and horrible enemy AI made my playthrough more painful than it should've been.

The game has 13 levels and they were unimpressive at best. I found myself running through grey and bland towns/caves too often. Some levels were horribly small, where progression was made through mundane objectives. For such a short game you'd think Fatshark would've put more effort into level design.

The loot system is barely even worth mentioning. You have only a few weapon types with traits in them. None of the items or traits have any impact on how you play the game.

If/when Fatshark decides to add support for custom maps and fix the bugs that plague the game, it could be a decent game to play with your friends. Although when considering Fatshark's history, the game won't probably get any better.
  31. Oct 25, 2015
    Good L4D copy in a fantasy setting with a focus on melee over ranged combat. Co-op mode only, no versus mode as yet. Distinct character classes with different play styles and favored weapons. Varied quality of level design. Special skaven are almost all copies of L4D special zombies. Randomized loot system encourages playing the multiple classes but means finding gear for your favoredGood L4D copy in a fantasy setting with a focus on melee over ranged combat. Co-op mode only, no versus mode as yet. Distinct character classes with different play styles and favored weapons. Varied quality of level design. Special skaven are almost all copies of L4D special zombies. Randomized loot system encourages playing the multiple classes but means finding gear for your favored class is a total grind.

One complaint I have about the loot system is the dice roll mechanic at the end of each level. In most levels, you find tomes which occupy an inventory slot. The more players that carry these tomes through to the end of the level, the more special dice are awarded to increase the chance for rarer variety loot. There are also grimoires which guarantee a successful dice roll. When your team has one grimoire in possession, it takes everyone's health down by 1/4. With two grimoires, it takes everyone's health down by 1/2. Playing the maps to find all tomes and grimoires and strategizing to make it through the level with all of them is essential to maximizing the grind for random gear. This means, that already, players are sacrificing survivability and exploiting shoddy AI and level design glitches to compensate in order to get better RNG at the end of the level. The grimoire and tome mechanic encourages exploits and as a result, in my opinion, lessens the overall fun factor of the game. It makes exploits the only viable strategy on harder to difficulties in order to beat the level and get the RNG loot. If your team wipes a level, you get less XP and no loot drops.

Melee hit boxes feel good, but ranged ones are all over the place. Although poor latency and projectile travel time could be giving the illusion of shoddy hit box design. It's difficult to tell.

Performance on certain hardware setups is rough. CPU usage is extremely high and GPU usage is correspondingly low. CPU and mobo temps may also be very high for some people depending on cooling solutions and case air flow. One work around is to cap frames and enable vsync, but some people might not find this a satisfactory solution.

There's a good game at a reasonable price beneath the glitches and poor optimization. If you're ok with constant exploit runs to get good loot at higher difficulties (the only way to get good loot) you'll have more fun than others.
  32. Oct 27, 2015
    First of all -- this game not just l4d clone. Matters here FAR MORE complicated and interesting. I'm going to give rather detailed review with pros/cons and some suggestions about buying or not.

Pros: -- Very fun melee combat, great sense of impact, dynamics and fierce brawl whith hordes of ratmen. -- Good work with Warhammer setting, atmosphere is captured. -- Interesting characters

Pros:
    -- Good work with Warhammer setting, atmosphere is captured.
    -- Interesting characters (funny dialogs and so on), even some rpg elevents -- all characters have different weapon choices/tactics.
    -- Visuals are not something WOW, but rather good for game of this genre.
    -- Great teamplay co-op game. Is real something epic to charge with friends shoulder to shoulder for glory or make last stand, to save someone from cruel death or be saved.
    -- Developers said that DLC can be played by all party if only one of players buy it. What to say? This is somethign to respect in our greedy times.
    -- Price tag is reasonable for fun value.

Cons:
    -- At this stage (week or so after release) game not so perfectly stable. Occasional little bugs and crushes.
    -- Game is somewhat repitive in terms of levels. There is 13 "missions", but generally you will be playing them again and again trying to beat higher diffuculty or just farm better items. Game mechanics in this lavels also repeats -- go from A to B, destroy something, collect some cargo, stay against horde.

Important things:

1) To have full fun and content usage with this game you ABSOLUTLY need 3 friends or some regular gaming companions. Yes, you can play with bots, but they useless on highter difficulties (where all bread and butter lies). Random human parties work mostly better then bots, but... eh... it can be rather frustration experience.
    2) There is item farm/craft in game. In some way it adds to interest (its always addictive to improve your gear), but also frustration -- some items is extreamly hard to get with random roll whithout playing A LOT.
    3) Game is HARD. Harder then L4D1 and L4D2. To beat game on highest difficulty (and get all this sweet awards and ultimate satisfaction) you need very coordinated and skilled team. When this is interesting challenge for more hardcore games, casual players will be stuck in progress and suffer .

So?

If you like Warhammer setting, co-op games, fair challenge and have friends who eager to join... Get this game. It will give you a lot of fun.

For me it 9 of 10, but I made +1 for dev is indi studio with made nice game.

Sorry for english if its lame.

Cheers.
  33. Oct 27, 2015
    Vermintide is a L4D in the Warhammer World, just replace the zombies with Skavens.

But the game has few problems : - no competitive/Versus mode unlike L4D : you can't play the Skavens - no feeling during gameplay : you just spam the basic attack button & the enemies are like ghosts without a proper collision detection with yourself and your weapons. It's getting boring very quickly.

But the game has few problems :
    - no competitive/Versus mode unlike L4D : you can't play the Skavens
    - teamwork is not rewarded : you could play alone at the highest difficulty (nightmare) and complete all the missions very quickly.
    - maps are boring : always the same routes
    - action is confusing, especially in melee fights (80% of the game) : the colors used in maps, enemies & allies are the same. Unlike L4D, you can't clearly see what is happening on your screen.

That game is good with friends you know for only few nights of gameplay and you won't return to it after that, unlike L4D & L4D2.

It's a L4D2 without the feeling, content & replayability.
  34. Oct 26, 2015
    Vermintide generates strong feelings. There is a lot of everything really, and the game is far from boring. The pace is very high, bordering on stressful at times, and time just disappears - just one more map.
  35. Dec 1, 2015
    Spam click one button. Walk around in a semi ambulatory pace. Little variation.

What is good. Nice voices, environments look appropriate, well presented. What in not so great? I was bored in 2 hours (and I really wanted to like it). It just boring. Bland and boring and I couldnt find any reason to keep playing. They could not be bothered to create proper resolution to support
    Spam click one button. Walk around in a semi ambulatory pace. Little variation.

What is good. Nice voices, environments look appropriate, well presented.

They could not be bothered to create proper resolution to support monitor field of view but instead put a Field of View slider in a game with console field of view designed textured. (So you get that fish eye view) instead of any reasonable natural feeling field of view.

The biggest let down is the combat. It is utterly involved. This company created fantastic combat in a medieval setting in games like War of the roses and this is the best they could come up with? 1 button spam and zero immersion. How did this get any half decent reviews?.
  36. Nov 12, 2015
    A challenging and rewarding game with a lot of character. The fidelity of this game is high, with charming dialogues and well labored environments. The combat at first seems trivial until you play on harder difficulties and learn just how important technical skill, group coordination, and caution are to success. I think a lot of peoples negative reaction to this game comes from theirA challenging and rewarding game with a lot of character. The fidelity of this game is high, with charming dialogues and well labored environments. The combat at first seems trivial until you play on harder difficulties and learn just how important technical skill, group coordination, and caution are to success. I think a lot of peoples negative reaction to this game comes from their comparison to L4D.

This game draws heavily from L4D, to a degree where people could hastily label it a clone: it follows the same item slot formula, call actions, similar special enemies, map objectives, etc. But the game plays much different than L4D, and this leaves die-hard fans of the original genre bitter.

The primary difference, which I enjoy, is that this game is not an FPS. You do have ranged weapons, but unlike L4D, ammo is few and far between, and ranged attacks cannot be your go-to strategy against all enemies. This is something I really enjoy about the game as it forces you confront the hordes face-to-face, lobbing heads and spraying rat blood with an assortment of melee weapons; and gives the gameplay a more tangible and challenging nature that you cant quite get from shooting waves of baddies from afar. Unlike the zombies, the vermin have character. They are slippery and animated, jumping across gaps and up ledges, crawling up and down walls, and squeezing through tiny holes, all the while emitting delightfully inane dialogues about their affinity for stabbing surface dwellers.

In summation, this game has a rich personality and charm to it, with unique and likable characters, and refreshing setting from the disturbingly played out zombie apocalypse; as well as a distinctive gameplay that justifies itself as something other than L4D re-skinned.
  37. Oct 31, 2015
    60 hours into this game. Im loving it but loot system & more content would be make this game a 10/10.
    Been waiting for a game like left for dead 2 and this one really is a similar game!
  38. Nov 22, 2015
    Like many have said, this is Left for dead go medieval, so if you were not a fan of it, skip this one. Otherwise, if you do enjoy the hectic fight, the intense moments of a swarm of zombies... err skavens... deferling to your group while trying to accomplish a near impossible mission, that you finally complete thanks to cohesive team work - when that happens, well, you really get the meatLike many have said, this is Left for dead go medieval, so if you were not a fan of it, skip this one. Otherwise, if you do enjoy the hectic fight, the intense moments of a swarm of zombies... err skavens... deferling to your group while trying to accomplish a near impossible mission, that you finally complete thanks to cohesive team work - when that happens, well, you really get the meat of the game.

With friends, or in a random group, the game leads to some epic moments that I only found so far in the Left for dead franchise. But like a surprise box and like that franchise before, random parties can lead to great experiences or deceptives ones. If you really want to get to the end of the run (at leat in higher difficulty levels), stick with a group of friends. If you can enjoy the satisfying thrill of finding a good random group and to stick with it, never knowing what your teammates will do can also add to the tension and it's in those moments of pure action that I really get the thrill that I was looking for when buying the game.

Left for dead fans can buy this one with confidence - the experience is the same, with news elements, new environments and with characters having differents weapons this time around. There is also a loot system, giving you a chance to get new stuff at the end of the day, which is nice, so go ahead buy it and slay some vermin!
  39. Oct 23, 2015
    As a guy who loves this genre (with over 2000 hours spent on L4D1/2) I headed into Vermintide expecting a great and fun adventure with a ton of replay value. However, after the first hour of playing it, I was immensely bored. After 2 hours and 45 minutes, I realized that it would not be getting better and refunded my purchase.

The first issue is that the melee gameplay feels entirely

The first issue is that the melee gameplay feels entirely unrewarding. Most melee weapons have the same attack patterns Diag, Mid, Diag for non charged, and side, side, vertical for charged. This makes them feel really unsatisfying to use. For example, as a Dwarf I received a two handed hammer, and found that it was basically the same as the axe, but with slight knockback and less damage. Mechanically, a sword and shield, or two swords, or a longsword simply do not feel that different. Add that you can block with all weapons, and the whole utility of the shield is pointless.

The second issue is that the visual design is extremely non-distinct. The Skaven designs are extremely dull and the color palette is limited. The unique specials do not feel like they add much to gameplay, and instead feel more like inferior versions of Jockey, Spitter, and Hunter from Left 4 Dead. Left 4 Dead paid a lot of attention to the visual design and sound design of the game-- i.e. all of the special infected have a very distinct silhouette and vocal range, same with the playable characters.

Not so in Vermintide, where the Dwarf is nearly the exact same size and proportions as the rat, and most of the other characters look sort of like rats in the constant darkness of the setting. They do not feel recognizable or unique. Their interactions are cliche as their designs and only one of the characters (Bright Wizard) actually introduced a different mechanic that makes them unique. The rest may as well be the same character, just with different weapons (that do not really feel that different anyways).

The level designs vary in quality-- however, the lack of events that force you to take different paths through them and the poor responsiveness of the dynamic AI lowers the replay value. The game lacks the tension and adrenaline of Left 4 Dead and instead becomes a game about spamming left click while pressing forward. After 1 hour it became boring and I took a break, trying to re-evaluate it.

My re-evaluation is this: if you are interested in this game, you should instead try Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, or any other co-op FPS. Melee Combat has never been so unsatisfying.
  40. Nov 1, 2015
    Left4Dead2 meets Chivalry, and the result is fantastic. Go for it.

Left4Dead2 meets Chivalry, and the result is fantastic. Go for it.

Very exciting, well-made cooperative game with an emphasis on melee combat, which gives it a unique touch over similar titles. It's well-functioning and feels different enough to be a fresh experience, even if you're a long-time veteran of similar games. The random loot system is an interesting touch, and adds some cool additional incentive to the game, as well as an incentive to go for the more-difficult optional objectives in the missions.

I'm not big into graphics, but I feel the need to mention this game is bloody gorgeous. Seriously, I've just got it on middle-range settings and it looks incredible. So that's also a plus.

Only reason I'm not giving it a perfect score is because it's a tiny bit buggy in places, and it could maybe use some more content. That said, it was just released, and they've already fixed a number of the more egregious bugs (though none were extraordinarily so to begin with), as well as promised a nice combination of free updates and optional DLC in the future. Considering how well the beta went, the future's looking bright.

If you're a fan of cooperative shooters and the like, or Chivalry, go for this. If you've got friends that play this game, ESPECIALLY go for this. It's amazing in a group, and really reminds me of playing Left4Dead2 in its prime. Highly recommended.
  41. Nov 1, 2015
    I've had way more fun with this game than I expected! Giving it a 10 since it's all I've played for the last week. Surprisingly good loot system: you "roll" for gear after victories, can find special items to enhance your chances for better loot, a leveling system, upgrades for weapons, and more. Each class feels fun and unique (I've played dwarf ranger and waywatcher).

Definitely on

Definitely on the more difficult end of things - you will lose. A lot.

Lots of comparisons to L4D; pretty apt, but definitely has its own unique feel. Love the character design as well, and especially glad the female characters have life and depth, avoiding the strictly T&A feel of other heroines.
  42. Oct 23, 2015
    This game is incredibly repetitive and boring.

This game is incredibly repetitive and boring.

First off is the item system, which is so **** grindy it feels like I'm playing a **** MMO or F2P game: not all weapons for all characters are unlocked at the start. Instead, these are locked by random drops. It took me 8 hours to get the weapons I wanted for the character I played, and even then they were of the worst quality possible, which pretty much restricted me to Hard or below for that character because the difference between the lowest and highest grade of weapons is absolutely ridiculous - where it took 3-4 hits to kill a skaven with a starter weapon, I one-shot it with an exotic. That's not even mentioning the ridiculous trinket system, which is also based on random drops - you can get trinkets ranging from "gain base health per person who is wearing this trinket" (which is nobody, since it's an exotic), to "heal teammates for 10% of missing health when you use a health item near them".

Now for the actual mechanics: Holy **** **** are they bad. Weapons have no impact to them; the soldier's shield sounds like it's made out of sheet metal and balsa wood, and I was able to faceroll through Hard doing nothing but spamming the heavy attack, which infinitely stumbles any non-special Skaven (that is to say, 90% of the enemies you're fighting), which means a soldier just sits at a chokepoint with a dwarf and spams heavy attack all day. Every once in a while a special Skaven pops up, which you can just one-shot with your ranged weapon (if you're lucky enough to get a good one in a drop; I'll talk more about Skaven design later). Every class except Bright Wizard plays the same way: Spam your melee until a special shows up, then spam your ranged at it. Repeat ad nauseum. Bright Wizard was interesting to play for a bit, but I gave up on it when I saw someone with a staff that was ridiculously good compared to mine, and I just didn't have the energy to grind up to it.

Skaven design: Aside from the common Skaven, you have some specials: Ratling gunner, Packmaster, Globadier, Stormvermin, Rat Ogre, Gutter Runner. the Ratling and Globadier are ranged: One spams supressive fire at you, the other canisters of poison gas. This would be dangerous and potentially interesting, making you think about where you hole up when a horde happens, except you can just 1-shot both of them. The Gutter Runner is literally the Hunter from Left 4 Dead, except instead of an actual escape mechanic (the evasive jump), it literally just teleports. the Rat Ogre is just an HP sponge with a random moveset, one of which is an unblockable attack. Either your team has bombs (it dies in a few seconds), or it doesn't, in which case the Rat Ogre fight is beyond **** boring because the only thing to do is mash LMB at it while spamming your dodge. The Stormvermin is perhaps the most interesting to fight of the specials. It's basically a heavily armored, highly damaging common that's capable of bashing. If you don't have a melee weapon that pierces armor, you need to hit it in the head while blocking its attacks, which could result in some pretty tense duels and desperate gambits if one shows up in a horde. Or y'know, it would, if you couldn't just oneshot it with the handgun.

In summary, the game is boring and repetitive, the combat has no heft to it, the item system is RNG and grindy as **** and this is just overall a bad L4D clone. That said, I only played this up to Hard difficulty. Maybe above that, there's an interesting game that's mechanically sound and fun to play, but ****ed if I'm going to grind my way up there.
  43. Oct 27, 2015
    This game is perfect combination of good well workin mechanic, and absolytely beatyfull dark warhammer style. Its really need some optimisation patches, but now this game is playable and enjoyable. Loot system is good, im pretty fast got my first exotic weapon.
  44. Oct 26, 2015
  45. Feb 3, 2016
    A potentially great game stymied by its abysmal loot system. The game looks great and is fun to play. However, getting one (if you win) or zero (if you lose) items per 30 minutes makes the game a pointless loot grind. Something as simple as doubling the amount of loot gained would go very far in making the loot system more rewarding.
  46. Nov 25, 2015
    Definitely some good times to be had. Good level of depth to the gameplay and progression. Smashing piles of enemies all at once with big hammer or shotgun blast never gets old. I've joined up with many randoms that were actually pretty good so far (and some that were horrible, too). A good player protects their team, everything else is lower priority for the most part - this is great.Definitely some good times to be had. Good level of depth to the gameplay and progression. Smashing piles of enemies all at once with big hammer or shotgun blast never gets old. I've joined up with many randoms that were actually pretty good so far (and some that were horrible, too). A good player protects their team, everything else is lower priority for the most part - this is great.

Needs: 3rd person perspective. Melee fighting is just plain better in 3rd person. This is by far the biggest complaint I have with the game. Of course, to go with this, the attack animations would need to be beefed up a bit.

The loot system is great. If it were any easier to get good loot then the good stuff would just be the norm and the whole system would be pointless.

I've hit some crashes during runs, which is a horrible experience. You lose all of the progress made and if you were the host, it is bad for everyone. I'd really like to see some improvements in the way it handles crashes and disconnects - primarily, it should be possible to rejoin if you can get back online in a minute or two.

Really hoping for more content and different map types. So far it is a great start.
  47. Dec 19, 2015
    Fatshark's best game yet. They've had some good ones before but they kind of let them just die on the vine when they didn't do as well financially as they've done with Vermintide. Lead & Gold and War of the Roses were really damn fun games that deserved better than the treatment Fatshark gave them.

That being said, I really hope that they actually continue to support this game and keep developing compelling DLC for it because it's a real gem. It captures the hopelessness and darkness of the Warhammer universe to a tee which gives it incredible atmosphere in addition to the frenetic and quick paced gameplay. This game is a must-buy for anyone who loved Left4Dead or any Warhammer fan.
  48. May 13, 2016
    Vermintide est un excellent left4dead like, il en reprend absolument toute les mécaniques, en y ajoutant pas mal de petit ingrédient bien sympathique.

En effet, dans le jeu vous pouvez crafter vos armes, les améliorer, leur donner des pouvoirs, mais cela reste sommaire, le jeu met l'accent sur le corps à corps, la marge de progression est assez importante, on part du mode normal pour enfin finir dans un mode cataclysmique assez jouissif, le jeu est gore, violent et pour le prix vous fera vivre une expérience coop des plus exaltante.

Le jeu est vraiment très beau, l'optimisation laisse un peu à désirer, c'est pourquoi j'enlève 1 point à ma note car il aurait mérité plus, j'aurais même pus enlever encore un point pour le suivit qui est inexistant depuis pas mal de mois, c'est vraiment à regretter.
  49. Dec 28, 2015
    Hard, beautiful & well designed.
    I really enjoy all characters gameplay
    However the game need a powerfull PC to run.

Keep the good work up Fatshark!
  50. Jul 22, 2016
    This game is alright. Its not great, its not bad, its just above average but nothing spectacular.
    First of all core mechanics are copy-paste from Left4Dead. The same model of gameplay, even almost the same major enemies (like tank). The only differences are roles each hero has (not present in L4D, all heroes are the same here), focus on melee combat and loot after match. Melee seems like good idea but really its not. Its slow and clunky, and really just after few hours i wanted to play "real" L4D and installed that game instead. Firefight its what made this kind of games good. Here there are only few classes with good ranged abilities, and the rest is just forced to play melee. Diablo-like items means its just grind to death to get good items (which you almost never have, which is not fun at all, i wont spend coutless hours to get nice items for a class i dont even play).
    The graphics are good and the atmosphere of Warhammer universe is great, but thats about it. Its good game, but its just a clone of much better game.
    Overall- decent game but nothing more. 7/10 for trying
  51. Oct 27, 2016
    Warhammer the end times vermintide
    Pretty, and pretty boring
    In vermintide you can play as 1 of 5 different classes either alone or with other players… Neither way you play is free of frustration None of these classes really feel different as everyone gets a close and ranged weapon, so it doesn’t matter who you choose… Every level in this game is essentially the same… Run forward and
    Warhammer the end times vermintide
    Pretty, and pretty boring
    Neither way you play is free of frustration
    Every level in this game is essentially the same…
    Run forward and kill the rats in your way…
    The levels are beautiful to look at, but exploring them is very dull
    There’s really no incentive to explore at all, and a handful of maps are easy to get lost in since this game lacks a map or any indication of direction…
    But either way you’re just finding your way forward and slicing or shooting at rats…
    It gets old fast…
    Each mission also has 0 checkpoints…
    So if everyone dies, you fail… no matter how deep you are into a level…
    During act 1 I had no issues with neither online players nor bot players…
    I would occasionally get a player too focused on running around rather than completing quests so they’d drag things out… but for the most part everything went smoothly…
    I’d get jumped by a backstabber or snagged by a strangler and my teams ai would come to my rescue…
    By time I got to act 2 however all of this seemed to stop…
    The bots in this game were like those annoying players not keeping up with me, so if I got caught in a bad situation that was it for me… they wouldn’t rush to heal me like they had been in the 4 missions before…
    And they’re completely useless as the end of act one transitions into more objective based missions that team ai don’t help with at all leaving you to have to carry every barrel, watching your own back.. defending points yourself, as the bots seem to have absolutely 0 concept of strategy programmed into them or any awareness of what’s going on in a level…
    This game is so samey that the developers thought, oh just make them kill stuff was sufficient enough… buts it’s not and it leaves you feeling frustrated when you’re faced with the dilemma of waiting for a human to join or hopping right into a mission with a bot…
    The bots are so garbage that there’s one missions for example where you have to protect a generator, and the 2nd one is on a plot of land with a gap you cant jump..
    Clearly the only way to defend is by shooting them…
    My character ran out of ammo and my other 3 partners just stood there with their magic wands up their butt instead of shooting at them…
    By the way, massive design flaw considering there was no ammo around in case something like this happened…
    Or maybe, idk, program your artificial intelligence to actually be intelligent…
    Each of these missions are fairly short, lasting about 15 to 30 minutes each…
    3 acts containing about 4 missions each and a few bonus missions not tied to an act as well…
    the campaign is about 6-8 hours long
    Decent length, but the loot system in this game encourages multiple playthroughs…
    When you level up or finish a level you get a new weapon… you can take your weapons and equip them, or take the ones you don’t want to a forge to combine them for something new or salvage them for upgrade materials for another weapon of yours…
    The problem here though that rewards feel far too slow for any of this to feel satisfying..
    It would be much more fun to level up in game at a faster pace, and weapons to be found in chests…
    Or at the very least keep the weapons obtained attached exclusively to the character you completed the quest with rather than a strictly random drop, this would actually give incentive to replay as each character, but this isn’t the case, so there’s no reason to…
    Vermintide is a great looking game..
    But there’s nothing here that you won’t get in far deeper rpg games other than maybe co op
    I Give Warhammer The End Times Vermintide a
    5.5/10
  52. Apr 19, 2016
    Beautiful scenery, nice dialogue, and decent re-playability are the three things Vermintide does best. As Fallout 3 is to the classic Fallout franchise, Vermintide feels like a different take on Mordheim City of the Damned only if it was more of a Left 4 Dead 2 clone, with some Payday 2 and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare mixed in. I really think its weird how many people argue that Left 4 DeadBeautiful scenery, nice dialogue, and decent re-playability are the three things Vermintide does best. As Fallout 3 is to the classic Fallout franchise, Vermintide feels like a different take on Mordheim City of the Damned only if it was more of a Left 4 Dead 2 clone, with some Payday 2 and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare mixed in. I really think its weird how many people argue that Left 4 Dead 2 is far superior, while in truth it’s a seven year old game that’s far more basic in almost every way. Overall, I’d say it’s worth at least $20. Great co-op, less great solo. Expand
  53. Oct 26, 2015
    The Game itself is a fresh and nice Idea, the Gameplay and Lvling/crafting System also works well. What doesn't works well in this Game is the horrible AI, it's almost impossible to play solo(offline) since the AI mess up so hard, even if you let them take Potions and try to avoid Stuck locations they let you die ..that kinda killed the Fun for me - glad that i didn't bought the Game - andThe Game itself is a fresh and nice Idea, the Gameplay and Lvling/crafting System also works well. What doesn't works well in this Game is the horrible AI, it's almost impossible to play solo(offline) since the AI mess up so hard, even if you let them take Potions and try to avoid Stuck locations they let you die ..that kinda killed the Fun for me - glad that i didn't bought the Game - and will not either (crack ftw). Expand
  54. Nov 5, 2015
    40+ hours into the game and im still into it. The combination between Left 4 Dead 2 and Dark Messiah is just a great combination. The loot system is perfect and great with friends. Even though the AI is a bit buggy, this game is one of the best games i have played.
  55. Nov 16, 2015
    What do you get when you blend a large cup of the fantasy world of Warhammer and the survival horror of Left 4 Dead? Fatshark have answered that question with the release of Warhammer End Times – Vermintide. A first person grind ’em up with a lot of similarities to everyone’s favourite multiplayer zombiefest. Only, it’s not just that. It’s a pretty amazing vision in itself.

Ever since

Ever since the demise of Warhammer: Online, I’ve been looking for a decent gaming experience to play alongside friends in its dark and gritty world and luckily, Vermintide delivers with the recreation of Ubersreik, a river city in Southern Reiskland and now absolutely swarming with the venomous, underhanded rat-men, the Skaven.

Once you’ve gathered your party and equipped your favourite pointy/smashy thing to skewer/pulverise Skaven with, the host can choose from a number of missions on a map at the inn. The quests are split up into three acts, each with varying mission parameters, such as annihilating as many rat-men as you possibly can or collecting barrels and sacks and placing them in a wagon while hordes of the minging-furred beasties pour forth to poke your eyes out and stab you in the unmentionables.

Luckily, your band of heroes have a great choice of weaponry. From short swords and axes all the way to massive great swords and staves that shoot fire. Secondary weapons are usually of the ballistic persuasion with crossbows, longbows and pistols all having a unique feel to them. Fatshark have perfected the feeling of swinging a war hammer, with a meaty crunch as it descends into the ugly face of one of your attackers.

The levels have a good sense of originality to them as well. In your first, painful jaunt into Ubersreik, you’ll stalk the city streets on the way to the Mage’s Tower with tall buildings hemming you in claustrophobically. Later, you’ll traverse sewer tunnels, forests and old forts to name a few, each fitting perfectly with the Warhammer universe.

The Skaven are varied too, mostly coming in swarms of Dwarf sized clanrats who tend to work in numbers and try to surround your party while you fend them off. There’s also the expected special troops, pulling from the Games Workshop armies and adding abilities that can shorten your group’s lifespan in a matter of seconds, depending how many of them decide to maul you at the same time. The Rat Ogre will stomp around, smashing the crap out of your team and with a seemingly unlimited pool of health, while the poison wind globadier chucks, well, poison wind globes at you, letting off an acidic gas that slowly eats away at your health bar and stops anyone else from coming to save you.

The greatest enemy in Vermintide however, is the potential to be slung into a bad party. Unfortunately, there’s a strong link between winning and having a good team that can kill your enjoyment at points. For instance, I spent my first six hours of play stuck on the first level due to party members who like to wander off or thought they were playing Call of Duty and went running off all lone-wolf ahead, getting deservedly ripped apart by a Gutter Runner for their idiocy.

Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide is what every fan of the similar zombie-game-which-shall-not-be-named-more-than-once-in-this-review has been asking for; a hair-raising blast through unlimited waves of evil with friends.
  56. May 11, 2016
    My first impression was: L4D in the Warhammer setting and Skavens! Bought! But the game is more than that, and you'll only find it out if you play at least 4-5 hours. Let me get into the details...

Positive aspects 1. You have 5 different classes (each of them can play different roles in the group). This adds a lot of replay value to the game, because you have 5 classes to master. Keep

Positive aspects
    1. You have 5 different classes (each of them can play different roles in the group). This adds a lot of replay value to the game, because you have 5 classes to master. Keep in mind that it

2. The loot system. It adds some spice to replaying scenarios and to trying harder difficulties. Still, I don't think it brings grinding into the game. Very soon you'll have a healthy variety of nice weapons to choose from, and the main difference in whether you can beat the harder difficulty levels is your skill and how you cooperate with the team mates: gear is an added bonus that just adds more variety to the game.

3. The scenarios are (mostly) well thought, varied and get you in the mood of the Skavens and Warhammer universe. This I think is very well done. The special enemies help in this respect.

Problems you may run into when trying the game...
    1. If you are looking for an FPS experience à la L4D you may not like it. The reason is that combat in this game is more melee based. Ranged weapons are part of your arsenal (and a useful one) but the gameplay will be different... I think it adds to the feeling that you are fighting a swarm of nasty Rats, but maybe this kind of combat system is not for you.

2. Playing with random people (or bots) may not be satisfying for you. I think the game works best when you play with friends, but it's good enough even with random and bots (you'll just have to play in lower difficulty levels because of the coordination difficulty).

Summary. A superb action game inspired by L4D and that simulates very well the Skaven-Warhammer atmosphere. As you play more and become more skilled with it, the game becomes even better.

I give it a 9 if you can play it with friends, and an 8 if you are planning on playing it mostly with random players (or bots).
  57. Feb 13, 2017
    I dont get some of the low scores people are giving this game. Have gamers forgot what makes games good? Have they forgotten that you play games to have fun, and not to loot grind?

Booting up and playing Vermintide sends me back to the golden days, where skill trumps everything else. Fast intense gameplay is where its at. Vermintide is a rewarding co-op FPS/FPM hybrid, with heavy emphasis on melee combat. The gameplay is dynamic, challenging, and rewarding.

The premise is simple: Players must complete an objective for their mission on every level. Along the way, you are going to run into one of Warhammer Universe' great villain races, the Skaven rat men. Angry, crazed skaven. But the gameplay isnt so linear. Randomly players will be rushed by a horde, or an ambush of rats. In this ambush, there are "specials", skaven types that are particularly nasty, like gunners that can mow you down. These specials, hordes, Stormvermin patrols(tough rats) and ambushes happen somewhat randomly, adding dynamic to every level making things interesting and challenging. Never one playthrough is the same. One minute you are clearing a rampaging horde, another minute you pull out your ranged weapon to snipe that special rat that can cause havoc among you and your teammates.

There is a loot system, but the great thing is that loot does not have a huge impact on the game. It can definitely give you an edge, and a fully equipped decked out player does have a clear advantage over a newbie, but that newbie, with the right skills can still hold his own. The loot and gear system is wonderfully done, with the developers striking the right balance between skill and grind.

Character classes are wonderfully done as well. Each character has their own traits and specialties. An added bonus and nice touch to Vermintide includes the banter between characters. The developers decided to make their characters very lively, so you are going to hear plenty of chatter in the game. In this chatter, characters will give smart hints to players if they are on the right track, and if they spot a special rat. A character might say "I hear a gutter runner!" which lets everyone know that an assassin rat is nearby. An excellent touch. Skaven rats will cower in fear if they are alone, just like how the Warhammer Universe describes them. Great job developers.

My only complaint would be the focus on multiplayer. There is practically no point in playing this single player, its pretty much multiplayer or bust. Regardless, Vermintide is super fun to play, especially those who enjoy intense teamwork based gameplay. I really hope there will be a sequel as Vermintide is a blast.
  58. Sep 5, 2018
    11/10 would play again ... oh wait I am still playing it ... OK, it is definitely better than L4D but has some mistakes ... like paid DLCs and no leveling but well ... 2yo and still got tons of new updates.
  59. Jul 16, 2016
    After spending 90 hs on this game, bought it on sale on steam for 15 $, normal price is 35$, you can not get a game with this much content for that price, 9.5/10
  60. Apr 1, 2017
    Do you like Left 4 Dead? Then you'll like this. The game is practical a fantasy clone of L4D with some added class variety and loot system. That said, though fun, I would have to say L4D is superior. I think L4D's multi section based missions from safe house to safe house make for a little more engaging gameplay with higher stakes than Vermintide.
  61. Aug 27, 2019
    I dind't like it
    You are an Heroes from Warhammer World (Empire, Dwarves and so on) trying to complete an objective (for example destroy a door) in a large map while fighting hordes of Skavens.
    I dind't like it
    Good Graphics, most of the the bugs has been fixed, playable alone if you wish to with decent A.I. companions (not at the hardest difficulties), playable on old pcs (with some mandatory visual adjustments), very cheap on sales....but.... it has simple game play (just click one button most of the time), lots of repetitions, few maps, few types of enemies, few charaters to choose from, combat isn't deep .... so it gets boring quickly.
    You will play the same mission over and over again to get some loot (random ... so maybe for a Class that you don't like to play) ...and then get the gear to do the same on the next difficulty.
    After a few days gets old.
  62. Mar 30, 2018
    Generally a lot of fun but very grindy, lots of downtime waiting on loading screens, too many ways to die instantly makes this game very frustrating. It's like 1/2 a game.
  63. Mar 9, 2019
    Left for dead 2 (L4D2), with rats instead of zombies. Vermintide has much higher quality graphics and shading than does L4D2. The game plays smoothly on older graphics cards at med - high settings (gtx 860). Fun game progression, though, I do feel that more of the DLC should be included for free with the base game at this point.

Lots of fun playing this with friends in a LAN setting.

Lots of fun playing this with friends in a LAN setting. Many laughs, action packed.
  64. Nov 7, 2017
    Saw that this game mixes left for dead and warhammer , so I bought it in an instant and I don't regret it !

positive: + first person in warhammer universe is awesome + the city Ubersreik is a grimmy and ideal warhammer place + combat feels good and doesn't get boring ( only if you play sessions of 3-5 hours) + graphics and sound are overall good but not stunning + 4 player co-op is

positive:
    + first person in warhammer universe is awesome
    + the city Ubersreik is a grimmy and ideal warhammer place
    + graphics and sound are overall good but not stunning
    + 4 player co-op is very fun
    + skaven are fun to fight , much variants.......
    but ( negative)
    ......- It is also only one race in an entire warhammer game
    - random loot feels unrewarding in this game unless you have luck
    - matchmaking issues,near empty servers
    - more heroes could have created more variety
    Overall a really fun but flawed experience that I am still giving an 8 for its amazing fun factor
  65. Jan 1, 2018
    Игра во вселенной вахи. Геймплей очень сильно похож на left 4 dead, только основа ближний бой. 6 персов, и за каждого разный геймплей. Куча шмоток с оружием, получаешь с прохождением одной миссии. Графен неплох. Геймплей крутой, но надоедает сильно.Играть рекомендую с друзьями. Сюжетка неинтересная. Звук отличный. Сама игра короткая, остальные миссии надо покупать.Игра во вселенной вахи. Геймплей очень сильно похож на left 4 dead, только основа ближний бой. 6 персов, и за каждого разный геймплей. Куча шмоток с оружием, получаешь с прохождением одной миссии. Графен неплох. Геймплей крутой, но надоедает сильно.Играть рекомендую с друзьями. Сюжетка неинтересная. Звук отличный. Сама игра короткая, остальные миссии надо покупать.
  66. Mar 27, 2017
    Fun game. Would love to play lots more. Could probably spend the rest of my days playing nothing but this and it's possible reiterations.
    Problem: If you can't find a group of 4 people to play with the game is not worth purchasing. Playing with less than 4 players makes the game infuriating due to the unfathomable incompetence of the bots who play along with you. Playing with random strangers isn't fun either. With friends you get to have fun and play. With random strangers from the lobby you just work together to most efficiently clear a level.
  67. Apr 18, 2017
    Absolutely better awesome than l4d 1 and 2. I play l4d both, poor game. This is regulary awesome dark medieval blood coop masacre for my friends. Its very surprise for me today :)
  68. May 30, 2017
    left for dead meets warhammer fantasy....giddyup! got it cheap about 18months after launch. Bugs seemed ironed out, dlc adds way more hours, fun to play with mates..well worth the same price it is now.
  69. Jul 15, 2017
    Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide is a fantastic co-op game that is a bit more challenging that usual but in a good way. This review is from my own perspective, so I absolutely recommend looking at other reviews as well before possibly purchasing.
    +PROS
    Visually pleasing. The art style is dark but fits, as to be expected with a Warhammer game. A decent amount of handcrafted levels, each
    +PROS
    A decent amount of handcrafted levels, each with its own unique feel and location.
    DLC may be played with a friend who owns it. Only one person is required to own the DLC if it is mission based.
    Gameplay is relatively simple yet rewards experienced players.
    Variety of weapons to toy around with.
    Possibly some of the best voice acting I've heard. Lines are said and conveyed with emotions and most definitely match their character
    Amazingly crafted characters. The crew of five have very unique personalities and visual appearances. Each character's dialogue is well written and their interactions with each other are just as good.
    Great humor. If you like banter you'll absolutely love it.
    +-NEUTRAL
    Gameplay can eventually feel repetitive as with most games. The best way I recommend to avoid this is to try and switch weapons from time to time, as each weapon usually has their own play style (unless they are the same as each other, such as the mace and hammer, long swords, etc.).
    Extremely similar to Left 4 Dead 2 in terms of special system. The game has four specials, all of which serve a certain purpose.
    No PvP. Not necessarily a bad thing, but without PvP a game may be considered less re-playable by certain people.
    Mods. There are a fair amount of mods, which can be considered good or bad. Most are quality of live changes, while others may be considered giving the player an unfair advantage (such as life bars).
    Bots. Without a full party, bots will take the place of players. Although they are not the smartest, they are able to play consistently and from time to time may play better than some inexperienced players. They also have the ability to teleport to anyone who has been caught by a special, which is quite useful yet ridiculous. They have received numerous updates to their AI and are in their best state but at times may still be buggy.
    -NEGATIVES
    Poorly optimized. Although they've improved it from the beta and past versions, the game still suffers from very bad optimization. Certain area's of the game will struggle to keep a steady FPS while others do it fine. FPS tends to tank when swinging into large crowds.
    Although the game has a decent amount of content within it, there is a heavy focus on DLC's. The DLC's cost a decent amount, and may total up past the actual price of the game if purchased when it was on sale. Although some of the achievements are within the DLC, they may still be gotten for free, however, at least one person must own it.
    No straight tutorial. The only thing given to the player are small hints on the right side of the screen that may be turned off. This is fixed within the console versions, which do include a small tutorial.
    Field of View can appear fish-eyed when high.
    Requires internet connection to play.
    Servers are tied to steam, therefor go down from time to time (mostly Tuesdays).
    No anti-cheat.
    Overall, Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide is a fast and fun co-op game very reminiscent of previous co-op games. I absolutely recommend picking it up while it's one sale, as it is frequently. Highly recommend playing with friends, although it can be played alone.
  70. Aug 12, 2017
    First of all:
    This game deserves a re-rating, because most of the ratings have been made during the first three month after release, complaining about problems which have already been fixed.
    Why I LOVE Vermintide:
    The best cooperation-mode and the best melee-combat system i've ever experienced in a game.
    And it is SKILL-based, so YOU need to get better, not only your hero.
  71. Feb 11, 2018
    I have only played this game for about 15 hours so far, but I don't see me getting board anytime soon. There are five playable characters, each with their own pros and cons or perks and skills. There is an elven archer, a witch hunter (kind of like a priest), a basic knight, a sorceress, and a dwarven warrior. All of them have different weapons, every character has a ranged and a melee.I have only played this game for about 15 hours so far, but I don't see me getting board anytime soon. There are five playable characters, each with their own pros and cons or perks and skills. There is an elven archer, a witch hunter (kind of like a priest), a basic knight, a sorceress, and a dwarven warrior. All of them have different weapons, every character has a ranged and a melee. The characters banter and pick at one another during the missions. Anyway I'm long winded, this is a great game. I'm really into the Mordheim universe so this game really is scratching an itch of mine. Expand
  72. Feb 13, 2018
    Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide is an enjoyable game, albeit a shameless Left 4 Dead clone. I’ve had fun in my 30+ hours gameplay beating most of the missions in normal difficulty and then playing through all missions in hard. That said, I could not help but feel embarrassed on behalf of the developers who were not just influenced by Left 4 Dead, but simply cloned it with some addedWarhammer: End Times – Vermintide is an enjoyable game, albeit a shameless Left 4 Dead clone. I’ve had fun in my 30+ hours gameplay beating most of the missions in normal difficulty and then playing through all missions in hard. That said, I could not help but feel embarrassed on behalf of the developers who were not just influenced by Left 4 Dead, but simply cloned it with some added features in a Warhammer Fantasy skin. I am not going to go into details of the similarities to Left 4 Dead, you will know what I am talking about as soon as you watch a gameplay video.

The differences are the focus on melee combat and plenty of loot that require grinding to unlock, which enable you to play the same missions in harder difficulties. The setting is very beautiful and atmospheric. The voice acting of characters are as good as Left 4 Dead, if not better.

I am not really into grinding based video games and was quite frustrated by Vermintide in that regard. The weapons do make a lot of difference and you have to grind through the same missions over and over in order to -realistically- unlock a good weapon. This is not a deal breaker if you are -like me- ok with putting the game aside after 30-40 hours. But if you wish to beat the game in other difficulty settings, the game will probably get very repetitive to the point that it is just boring.

DLCs are a mixed bag with some good missions here and there and some very bad ones, Karak Azgaraz being arguably the best among them. However, none of the DLCs are worth the price point, which in my point are very overpriced for adding 2-3 maps.

Overall, you can give Vermintide a go if you are a die hard Left 4 Dead fan who want more of almost the same or if you are looking for a game to play co-op with friends. On the other hand, it is such a shameless clone that I cannot give it a higher rating.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 39 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 25, 2016
    Combine the impatience of others and the almost endless random item grind and I do not see a casual audience getting swept away in the Warhammer hype by this game. Even Warhammer fans should make note that just because you may know the lore of the series it won't grant you a wonderful team experience ... but it may grant you some street cred to get you by.
  2. CD-Action
    Jan 12, 2016
    A technically flawed copy of Left 4 Dead that does not even have a proper Warhammer atmosphere. [13/2015, p.66]
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Jan 4, 2016
    An enjoyable co-op game with a fun but simplistic combat system. Bugs, matchmaking issues and technical problems keep it from becoming an instant classic. Yet! [Nov 2015]