8.0

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Jun 30, 2014
    I didn't like it and it's not because i only like one type of game, i like many types of games. I just found this games repetitive and overall boring. The turn based combat was fun the first 30 times but then after it just felt like a chore and i tried to avoid it. The story was a bit mixed i didn't understand a lot, no fun for me but you might enjoy it. Give it a go anyway.
  2. May 16, 2014
    My review is to send a message. This game was beautifully made and had a quite enjoyable combat system. The rhyming was annoying as hell, but whatever, didn't detract from my experiences. I'm giving this an awful rating because of the save system. It is entirely auto save, which means you have no control over your saves. Which means that when it crashes and corrupts your game save, as itMy review is to send a message. This game was beautifully made and had a quite enjoyable combat system. The rhyming was annoying as hell, but whatever, didn't detract from my experiences. I'm giving this an awful rating because of the save system. It is entirely auto save, which means you have no control over your saves. Which means that when it crashes and corrupts your game save, as it seems to do in a good 25% of cases, you're screwed. I put in 20 hours into this game only to have it corrupt at the very end of my game. Not a chance I'm going back through. Developers you really need to learn from this, I will adamantly refuse to buy anything else from these developers from now on, regardless of game, because this issue was blatant and obvious and shouldn't have been even a remote problem in the first place.

If you want to buy the game anyway, it's your money. Just be warned that a huge percentage of people are being screwed over by the **** coding. (it also crashed often throughout.)
  3. May 8, 2014
    the game was really mediocre, and that's being extremely generous.

from a plot standpoint, it is painfully generic. it's your every day stereotypical fairy tale, with an extremely forced rhyming narrative. from a battle perspective, the battle system is extremely limited. each character has 4 or 5 moves, including their basic attack and defend function. beyond the lack of depth in
    the game was really mediocre, and that's being extremely generous.

from a battle perspective, the battle system is extremely limited. each character has 4 or 5 moves, including their basic attack and defend function. beyond the lack of depth in the combat system, there are only a hand full of enemy designs which got recycled over and over again via recoloring. you can only kill the same dragon and giant and the same 5 or 6 basic enemies so many times before it feels repetitive. it's also impossible to have an in depth battle system that only features 2 characters.

the idea of using your fire fly to heal your party or slow an enemy was interesting, but not enough to save the lackluster combat system.

from an rpg standpoint, the game is incredibly short. this is 10 hours absolute tops. if you don't stop to read the abysmal "story" aspects of the game, you can probably beat it in 6 hours or less. the game is even more linear than ff13, which is the poster child of negativity from linearity. there are no weapons or armor in this game, just the same 5 or 6 gems that you upgrade by merging from one level to the next.

the art on it is ok. it's nothing earth shattering, but it's by far the best aspect of the game.

to make an already mediocre game even worse though, the game crashes frequently (and the crashes get worse towards the end of the game). when the game crashes, there is a chance of it taking your game save with it by way of corruption. since the only way to save is autosave (there is no manual save in a slot of your choice), this means you lose everything. the x1 version has the same crashing/corruption issues, but in addition to that there are also glitches that cause achievements to not unlock properly (and because you can't load to before it unlocked to try again, this means another playthrough for 100%)

it would have been generous to call this game a 5/10 if it didn't have the crashing and corruption issues. as it stands, it's generous to give this a 3/10. ubisoft should be ashamed of themselves.

i had my $10 psn credit from picking up the system on day one and only had to spend $5 on this game out of pocket and i still feel ripped off for having paid money on this. i wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless they are getting it for free via being a ps+ title.
  4. Aug 11, 2014
    I'd give this a 4 but you all know how metacritic works graphics are in simplicity : cheap gameplay is steryotypical and nothing all that knew story is non existent honestly and the audio is good but that won't make a game for me at least I did not like this one bit
  5. Oct 7, 2017
    Games are about gameplay.
    They are not about charming visuals. They are not about characters. They are not about the story.
    Games are about gameplay.
    Gameplay in Child of Light is f* boring. I had played for about 2 hours before I abandoned it. Combat mechanic seems interesting for a second, then you just started to use the simplest strategy. Combats are repetitive and after twenty, you simply don't want to do it anymore. Sadly, that's the only thing you can do, apart from flying, which is even more boring than fighting.
    Glad I got it with PS Plus, and not bought it.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 46 Critic Reviews

1. Aug 29, 2014
    None of it feels focus-tested, or designed to appeal to the broadest possible audience; rather, it always comes off as exactly the expression its creators intended.
  2. CD-Action
    Jul 23, 2014
    This game should end around the 6th hour – which is roughly the middle of the campaign – when artsy visuals and fairy tale charm concealing the rather shallow content cease to suffice and the originally relaxing pace starts to make you drowsy. [06/2014, p.52]
  3. Jun 20, 2014
    Its unique look and charms will stick with you long after you've finished the game, and long after you've forgotten most of the other RPGs that you played before it.