8.1

1. Apr 20, 2020
    This game satisfied my expectations, full stop. I spent 45 hours with this (I didn't even spend the full time with everything they give you) and if you are a fan, you'll enjoy it! As a game loved by many, they had a tall order to fulfill and everything from character interactions, voice acting, harnessing colloquialisms, music, capturing the charm of the story, it all worked. I'm notThis game satisfied my expectations, full stop. I spent 45 hours with this (I didn't even spend the full time with everything they give you) and if you are a fan, you'll enjoy it! As a game loved by many, they had a tall order to fulfill and everything from character interactions, voice acting, harnessing colloquialisms, music, capturing the charm of the story, it all worked. I'm not getting these '0' and negative reviews - it's a beautiful game and very worthwhile.

It is heavily story-oriented, leaving me wanting for more gameplay, to be released into the world. The main game had this portion of the story very on rails as well, so the scope of the game was detrimental to this specific entry. That said, they were able to add small elements of freedom, which was very bite-sized and wasn't completely satisfying. Their reuse of all of the areas was creative but again seemed a bit like spreading a little butter over too much bread.

That said, the game is remarkably beautiful, fully polished and rang true to a remake. The boss fights were tough, variable and interesting. There were a lot of ways to build your characters. I found the gameplay very interesting, though there is room to improve. My main gripes with the battle system is that it felt a bit too messy sometimes- I couldn't properly use abilities, spells, items because the actions took too long to animate. It basically took out the element of skill and planning if an enemy can jump across the screen and immediately stop you. I suppose this is supposed to make it more challenging but I found it was often hard to tell when that was going to happen. If there was a buff that could make you uninterruptible that could provide a good solution.

I hope the rest of the game is less on rails... I loved the open-world aspect of the original and am very excited to see the next iteration.
  2. Apr 22, 2020
    tl;dr : The game is amazing and really worth the wait/purchase price!

tl;dr : The game is amazing and really worth the wait/purchase price!

Years of waiting, fears and doubts we're blown out of the water for me with the release.... The music, the story, graphics and gameplay are just amazing! Yes it has texture issues... but that doesn't take away from the entire experience... All I can say is that I cannot wait for part 2... Its scary what will happen from here on out after the ending and how this wil tie in to the next parts of this game...

A must have for me, but perhaps not everybody. Thank you to everyone who made me cry with happiness playing this game and stare with longing whilst the credits rolled past. Thank you.
  3. Apr 18, 2020
    I genuinely feel bad for people that didn't enjoy this game because the story deviates slightly from the original, rather than being identical to the original but with updated graphics. FF7 Remake seems to be halfway between a remake and a sequel, and I for one am very ok with that. FF7 the original is one of my favorite games of all time. I've been wishing and waiting for the remake forI genuinely feel bad for people that didn't enjoy this game because the story deviates slightly from the original, rather than being identical to the original but with updated graphics. FF7 Remake seems to be halfway between a remake and a sequel, and I for one am very ok with that. FF7 the original is one of my favorite games of all time. I've been wishing and waiting for the remake for like twenty years. I didn't even think it was going to be good! For the game to come out and be pretty fun, as well as being pretty faithful to the original is nothing short of a miracle. If part 2 is even almost as good I'll be thrilled. Everyone that gave this game a bad rating is being picky. If you didn't want them to change anything, you should just go play a remaster of the 1997 game. Expand
  4. Apr 12, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is beyond next-level in terms of visual, gameplay, story. Some glitches with camera, but overall truly immersive. So called padding material is really geared for those new to FF7 and gets players slowly built up and emotionally invested in the world and its characters, all games have them. And the injected extra angle with fate really perks up the novelty of what is a 23-year old game, maybe we can save Aeris/Aerith after all. SE deserves kudos and support for this project, there's so much TLC evident in this first chapter. Expand
  5. Apr 11, 2020
    A refreshing breath of air into a timeless classic. Far more than a simple remaster, yet it holds on to elements of the original that made it great. This is absolutely the must-play game of the year, whether you loved the original, or are playing the game for the first time.
  6. Apr 12, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved this game , it was a amazing start for the rest of the journey and left me begging for more and wanting to know what happen next even though i played the original. I think that what we see is that the end is just another way the things could have go , like zack not dying , but no things will go the way of the original , and the whole defeating the whispers was so you could stop shepirot and the visions cloud and the gang see are indeed the future but they just see glimpses so they dont fully understand , aerith was scared to go against the whispers because she knew she would have to sacrifice herself , and the bit in the end show us that she can see the past and the alternate time lines and she chose the one where she sacrifices her self over the one where she would stay in midgar underneath the steel sky , its obvious things are a little different sure but we didn't have the whispers in the first game , and they were created so that part 1 would give some closure so dont be afraid that they gonna change the end or aerith dead they won't but they leaving crisis core and the others spins offs aside , and things might not go as you expect but the keys moments will remain the same dont jump to conclusions Expand
  7. Apr 13, 2020
    In all, this game is absolutely amazing. Combat is great, graphics look stunning, music is excellent and the voice acting is perfect. Then the overall gameplay, the fan service, the atmosphere of the game and the nostalgia trip is just a jaw dropping experience for all fans of FFVII, only derailed by small "filler" material and the controversial ending.
    I don't mind any of the minor
    I don't mind any of the minor changes! I love the depiction of all the characters in the game! The main cast, Avalanche members, Red XIII, the higher ups at Shinra, all of them!
  8. Apr 10, 2020
    All the 0 rated reviews so far are people who failed to even understand what this remake project was. The remake is the first portion of the original game due to how big the original game was. The developers really wanted to add to the experience that's why they've added so much more lore and events!

The Remake has genuinely improved on the original by fleshing out the story and the characters especially! The music is something else too... some of the best arrangement I've heard in a long time!
  9. Apr 15, 2020
    This is one of the best JRPG I have ever played and believe me I have played a lot. This game has everything in a story, funny moments, haunted chapters that give goosebumps, it got it all, even mini-games feel good, My whole family is doing the exercise mini-game in the gym to beat my high score. You feel attached to the characters and feel the need for the urgency to take down bad peopleThis is one of the best JRPG I have ever played and believe me I have played a lot. This game has everything in a story, funny moments, haunted chapters that give goosebumps, it got it all, even mini-games feel good, My whole family is doing the exercise mini-game in the gym to beat my high score. You feel attached to the characters and feel the need for the urgency to take down bad people because you care for characters. I have never played original but once I complete i am going to start that, as I need more of Cloud Strife. Expand
  10. Apr 15, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was in love with this game from start to about the last couple hours of the game. The team at Square Enix did everything right to retell the story from Midgar in a modern way. The battle system is on another level and in my opinion has set a new standard for the genre. The pacing was also on point, it never really had slow spots. I was going to give it a perfect score until the end. Not to say I’m infuriated by it, but the original made a big impact on me and I was really looking forward to the almost 1:1 remake. But if they put as much effort into the next installments as this, I have no doubt they will succeed. Expand
  11. Apr 13, 2020
    The original was an important part of my childhood and so I looked forward to the remake with careful anticipation. Expecting to be disappointed but still pre-ordered to get back in to the world at the earliest opportunity.

Wow, my life was not my own as i plunged most of the waking day into exploring this beautifully remade story. Now watching the credits 4 days(30 played hours) later and not even having explored the post game material which the developers have definitely lovingly crafted, i can honestly say this is the best game ever made.

You may be a fps master or a strategy nerd or even wander the vast worlds created by other games but you will never feel the things this game makes you feel. Add to that the masterful way the game works. I do not believe anybody would be disappointed in there purchase if they choose to enter this masterpiece either for nostalgic reasons or because you want to learn for yourself what all of the fuss is about, all I will say is have your tissues ready!!!.

Late addition to this review after reading some of the others and just a few sentences in response to them - The story was always going to be fleshed out, I'm not sure if you are actually disappointed with the changes or you would just like to sound intelligent by suggesting that they don't fit with what is to come(i.e. part 2,3...) The ending wasn't too dissimilar to the OG and I'm not sure how you can decide that it is going to ruin something that doesn't even exist yet, now I command all of you remakeoaners to go and replay this fantastic game for what it is and if it doesn't quite fit in later on, then gripe but don't take the enjoyment away from yourself now because you are assuming the worst!!!!
  12. Apr 20, 2020
    Phenomenal. Everything has been brilliantly and breathtakingly recreated. The battle system is so fun and fairly challenging on normal. The music is gorgeous. It is everything I wanted out of a remake in more.
  13. Apr 25, 2020
    Close to perfect. Incredible depiction of the original characters, best musical score of this generation and hits most of the story beats from the original.

Occasional camera issues and aerial battle is a let down.

Controversial ending, but provides a set up for new and interesting expansions unrestrained by the original game.
  14. Apr 14, 2020
    Most faithful remake I ever played. I loved each part of it. It made me giggle to see the little nods and reimagination of things. The little additions makes sense and not just padding. The ending isn't bad but just felt like an OVA of an anime without changing a lot of stuff. Lots of time this game made me cry. This is absolutely beautiful. Part 2 soon please square!.
  15. May 4, 2020
    Played on PS4 Pro. Platinum'ed.
    Gameplay: AWESOME
    POSITIVE:
    +1 Perfect battle system
    +1 Main characters design
    +1 Shinra areas design
    +1 Respectable music (no better than the original FF7)
    +1 Diverse strategy
    +1 New bestiary
    +1 New optional missions
    +1 Quantity of content (Quantity > Quality)

NEGATIVE:
    -1 Graphics in open areas, pre rendered graphics and general NPC characters desing for PS2
    -1 NOMURA'S FU**** GHOSTS EVERYWHERE
  17. WYY
    Apr 12, 2020
    Graphics are top notch, combat is very thrilling and exciting... cant wait for ff7r part 2
  18. Apr 20, 2020
    Enjoyed the game! Excited to see more ahead. Interesting how they are steering this ship differently.

I understand the hate from some fanbase. But imo it could be boring reliving the memory of the game but with souped up graphics knowing what will happen next in turn of events. Being a completely unknown journey would be kinda playing the game again for the first time, but with our

Being a completely unknown journey would be kinda playing the game again for the first time, but with our favourite characters. Best Barret victory fanfare singing voice****

Let the haters hate.
  19. Apr 13, 2020
    This game is phenomenal. Square Enix has knocked this game out of the park. There are minor issues that will be fixed such as low resolution textures on rusted metal or wood. This was my only complaint while playing the game. I originally played FF7 back in 1997 when I was 12 years old and it has remained one of my favorite games of all-time. The Remake does an incredible job of re-tellingThis game is phenomenal. Square Enix has knocked this game out of the park. There are minor issues that will be fixed such as low resolution textures on rusted metal or wood. This was my only complaint while playing the game. I originally played FF7 back in 1997 when I was 12 years old and it has remained one of my favorite games of all-time. The Remake does an incredible job of re-telling the story we all loved in a much more dynamic way. Some of the story has been changed, but all major events remain the same. The ending of the game has come under high levels of criticism, but don't let the hate fool you. There is a lot of missing information from part 2 and any other parts beyond that that will determine what the events at the end of part 1 mean. If you are a purist you will not enjoy some of the changes, but the majority will really enjoy them and leave people talking about it for a long time to come.

The Good:
    -One of the best battle systems SquareEnix has ever produced
    -Multiple difficulty levels (after completing the game it opens up a hard mode that locks using any items at all.)
    -The world and characters are gorgeous
    -Every single boss battle is engaging and tuned to optimal difficulty
    -The weapons upgrade system makes all weapons viable to use
    -Every character has a unique design to them and all of them feel incredibly satisfying to play and master

The bad:
    -Quite a few textures are low resolution and can be quite jarring at times
    -The ending of the game will be controversial to say the least
    -I 100% completed the game at normal difficulty in about 40 hours which is a bit on the short side

All-in-all I rate this game a 10/10. The good FAR outweighed the bad and SE delivered on an incredibly engaging and polished experience.
  20. Apr 13, 2020
    Game is absolutely brilliant right up to the end. Game is still absolutely worth the play through.(spoilers ahead kinda!) Guessing the ending is where the kingdom hearts director took over. I ultimately left the game with incredible uneasiness and worry for the future and unfortunately, that wont go away until the sequel. This is a beloved story and many have been wanting to experienceGame is absolutely brilliant right up to the end. Game is still absolutely worth the play through.(spoilers ahead kinda!) Guessing the ending is where the kingdom hearts director took over. I ultimately left the game with incredible uneasiness and worry for the future and unfortunately, that wont go away until the sequel. This is a beloved story and many have been wanting to experience that story again with the outstanding graphics, beautiful updated soundtrack and incredible combat system.

To diverge that hard at the end feels unnecessary and unearned. Imagine watching Iron Man and right at the end you see a fight between Thanos and Tony. It doesnt belong there yet cause they hadnt built that up yet. Throughout the game we fought robots and regular enemies then in the end we fight the manifestation of fate? arent we getting more games to complete the story? i mean where do you go after fighting god? That is what FF has always been about in the end, but this game wasnt the end! If a story goes through multiple installments then you need to build up to the big fight throughout all those installments. Also it seems like the party is trying to escape the fate of the original story, but why? that was a good story. Sure it didnt all end with everyone alive and completely happy, but everyones arcs were completely fulfilled. why would they want to escape it?

That is ultimately why I gave the score I did. May not be fair to lower this score due to a worry about future games, but that is the feeling I am left with. Not triumph, not looking forward to whats next. Just worried things will become overly convoluted and confusing like they are in Kingdom Hearts. FF7's story is already pretty confusing. I am not saying that it cant be done. That they cant diverge from the original and end up with a new fantastic story, but they are going against the an already beloved and fantastic story now. Messing with that can be dangerous as we have seen with other IP.

I was looking forward to this one coming out and now im not sure if i want the next one if it messing with something i already love. I get the argument is that "they need to do something new cause the old one already exist," but to that I say its been over 20 years. How many times have we seen superman or spiderman remakes throughout the years even though those are the exact same story points. Each is shown slightly different but still hit all the beats we love. They could, and largely still can do that here and many would love it, probably more than they do this. Just please dont turn this series into another kingdom hearts with too many releases to keep up with and what can quite possibly be the most confusing story in history.
  21. Apr 14, 2020
    Sorry for my poor English, not a native speaker. FF8 is my favorite FF, but I must admit that FF7 remake just brought me more joy than FF8 did back in my childhood. The combat system is top-notch, if you like ACT then you can bind abilities and spells to hotkeys, making the combat a flashy and seamless real-time brawling just like DMC. If you prefer the classic turn-based Active TimeSorry for my poor English, not a native speaker. FF8 is my favorite FF, but I must admit that FF7 remake just brought me more joy than FF8 did back in my childhood. The combat system is top-notch, if you like ACT then you can bind abilities and spells to hotkeys, making the combat a flashy and seamless real-time brawling just like DMC. If you prefer the classic turn-based Active Time Battle then it'd also be satisfying to make tactical decisions using the command menu during which time is slowed so you can carefully choose your target and pick your abilities. What I don't like about it is the lock-on camera, sometimes it's just hard for you to see the target you're currently locking on, they should have made the locked-on target centered or something. Anyway, it's a great remake, and one even someone new to the FF series can enjoy. Expand
  22. Apr 15, 2020
    Your probably looking for negative reviews, but just remember that 90% of them are from Salty Purist. This game not only brings new life into the final fantasy 7 universe, but it also revitalizes the series in its entirety. A combat system that takes action and turn based and twist them into a beautiful fresh system, cutscenes that nearly rival advent children, and a cast of characters newYour probably looking for negative reviews, but just remember that 90% of them are from Salty Purist. This game not only brings new life into the final fantasy 7 universe, but it also revitalizes the series in its entirety. A combat system that takes action and turn based and twist them into a beautiful fresh system, cutscenes that nearly rival advent children, and a cast of characters new and old that bring alot to the table. People will say the ending is as confusing as kingdom hearts, but as long as your paying attention it's not hard to understand what's going on, there may be a question or two of "what happens next?!" But that's to be expected. The reason I dont give it a 10 is because there are a couple things that could be cleaned up like some textures and maybe a couple boss fight mechanics. At the end of the day this game is a top shelf game, sitting at about 40 hours for 100% on normal and about 20/25 for a run of just the story. Expand
  23. Apr 15, 2020
    Before this game released, I was a huge skeptic and naysayer. I thought there was no way you could squeeze a full length game into what was essentially just the prologue of the original and not have the pacing butchered one way or the other. I thought the action combat would water down the RPG elements of the game (like it did in FFXV). But I gotta hand it to them, Square Enix reallyBefore this game released, I was a huge skeptic and naysayer. I thought there was no way you could squeeze a full length game into what was essentially just the prologue of the original and not have the pacing butchered one way or the other. I thought the action combat would water down the RPG elements of the game (like it did in FFXV). But I gotta hand it to them, Square Enix really blew my socks off. The expanded story elements, the deeper character development, and yes even the sprinkled in side quests all made for a far richer experience than I thought was possible. I admit I was wrong, and a closer inspection of Cloud and the gang’s time in Midgar absolutely warranted the closer inspection. But in the end Square Enix always finds a way to disappoint, and the last act of the game just unfortunately gets too carried away with itself. And for me it did sour the overall experience. I’m glad I did experience the game myself though, after almost passing on it completely. It’s still an amazing game, and something I will certainly replay a few times. But even after winning me over completely, I once again feel skeptical about how the rest of the game will be handled. Expand
  24. May 1, 2020
    Truly amazing! Stayed true to the original whilst still making it feel very fresh. The characters are so well made and more personal than the originals. A remake done right!
  25. May 5, 2020
    Just got the platinum trophy after finishing my second playthrough and overall... wow... this is the most excited I've been about final fantasy in many many years.

I grew up playing these games and 7 is my favorite game of all time. I've finished every mainline entry except 11 and a lot of the spinoff titles too. Personally around ff12 I feel like character and story writing started to decline sharply but ff14 and 15 showed a big improvement (even though 15 still had a lot of rough edges). This is the best final fantasy story since 10 in my opinion.

First of all it looks spectacular and midgar makes for a great setting. Looking up and seeing the plate is wonderful.

Second most of the additional content is actually really excellent. They expand on the stories of biggs, wedge and jessie for example and I enjoyed this a lot. Some of these moments add a great deal of charm and made me smile a lot.

Third the combat is a lot of fun. Each character feels unique and there is a lot of potential for different builds based on your materia choices.

Fourth there are a lot of fun mini games, a few extra bosses. Some of these extra bosses are unique to hard mode but I really enjoyed playing the game on a higher difficulty. The final boss in particular felt much more climactic as I was barely hanging on most of the time and won while being about one hit away from dying.

Fifth the character models... you spend a lot of time looking at character models in any game and these are the best I've ever seen. The detail on the armor is insane. When you focus on a character's face you can see their eyes moving every so often too. Very impressive.

Sixth the reverence shown for the original source material. You'll find so many references to the original game or spinoffs as well as every moment, boss and enemy recreated in stunning detail. Some things were changed but not to any significant degree in my opinion. It's just so clear after picking apart as many details as I could... that the devs love the original ff7. There's just so much passion in this project.

Seventh chapter select and hard mode. After you finish the game you unlock chapter select and this is so great for people who want to complete the game fully. If there's an optional boss you didn't assess or you want to go back and get an alternate cutscene then you don't need to replay the full game. Also hard mode offers a really nice challenge once you're max level :).

There are a few flaws as well but nothing that hampered my enjoyment.

1st some chapters feel padded. Without going into specifics there are areas in which you have to pull levers to open pathways to go open more levers to open up more pathways while you constantly get interrupted by enemies. Some sections of the game feel like they're wasting your time. This is probably the biggest issue the game has.

2nd some boss fights can be frustrating. Even at max level with maxed out materia on normal difficulty there were times when I felt like a ragdoll getting thrown around, constantly healing. It's not that I couldn't win. I rarely died. It's just that my attacks felt ineffective. This is largely down to not being able to change equipment or materia during a fight. I understand that this might make things easier but it can be frustrating to find yourself unable to exploit a boss' weakness because you don't have the right materia.

3rd this game is not beginner friendly. For the first 90% of the game everything is going fine but with the last chapter in particular things go kind of insane. At first I wasn't a fan of the ending but after taking some time to digest it I'm way more positive on it. The last chapter starts throwing out references to the original ff7, advent children, crisis core and all kinds of stuff. The game really expects you to be familiar with this stuff. That kind of sucks for newcomers but actually picking apart the insane number of references was a lot of fun. I imagine if you're new to ff7 you'll be completely lost. I'd highly recommend the easy allies ff7 remake spoiler mode video for a very indepth breakdown of what the ending really means.

As for what comes next I'm pretty excited. It looks like it'll be different from the original and I think i'm ok with that. However... I desperately need some of the original story beats to remain untouched. Corel town, rocket town, the golden saucer, cosmo canyon.... I'm ok with changing the overall story but I need a lot of these amazing character moments to stay the same or mostly the same. The main reason I'm optimistic is the unbelievable reverence shown to the original source material. Every enemy, boss and moment from the midgar section is here. The benches have the save symbol from the original game. Small details like rude having a clear shot on a character and missing on purpose... a reference to one line in the original game... It's just so clear that this game was made by people who adored the original ff7
  26. Apr 20, 2020
    FF7R is an ambitious project by Square Enix and I'd say they've done a great job telling an immersive story, excellent music, fun combat, beautifully designed characters and the environments but it's not perfect. I will be addressing some of the issues that it has alongside the review.
    I've played this game on normal mode, it should take you around 40 hours to complete the game, including the side quests.

They have done a very good job telling the story of Midgar and its characters. But some of the side quests are a bit bland and some of them in one of the later chapters were put awkwardly between the main quests.
    When it comes to soundtracks, it is amazing. Some of the scenes were seriously breathtaking especially in combination with the amazing soundtrack.
    The English voice actors also did a great job of bringing the characters to life.
    The combat is fun and has a mix of strategy making and hack n slash. The combat feels impactful and rewards you for successfully pulling off certain actions.
    Graphics, overall it looks amazing even on PS4 slim considering the hardware and there is almost no frame drops at all. The characters look fantastic with high quality and very detailed models. Environments also look really good but you can see low-quality textures in certain areas. It could be results of either limitation of the system, or a bug, or budget cuts.

As someone who has never played the original but knows the story, I'm looking forward to see where the future will take us.
  27. Jun 14, 2020
    Teniendo en cuenta que el original FF7 lo jugué en el PSOne, fue el primer juego que tuve y desde ahí lo único que juego son JRPG... mis impresiones son las siguientes:

Gráficos !0/10 Es increíble lo bonito que se ve este juego, se ve bastante realista en todo momento, la iluminación de los objetos es fantástica... te hace sentir que estas literalmente dentro de Midgar, antes sólo se

Gráficos !0/10
    Es increíble lo bonito que se ve este juego, se ve bastante realista en todo momento, la iluminación de los objetos es fantástica... te hace sentir que estas literalmente dentro de Midgar, antes sólo se podía imaginar. Ahora es una ciudad viva con habitantes y sentimientos que hacen más realista el juego.

Música 10/10
    La música se funde perfectamente con las escenas de acción y con los combates, los arreglos que le hicieron a las canciones originales suenan excelente y son un giro fresco y moderno al juego. Me gustó bastante la opción de encontrar discos de música a lo largo del juego como coleccionables. Tengo la edición Deluxe y trae un minisoundtrack que estoy disfrutando bastante.

Historia 7/10
    Aunque ya nos sabemos la historia de este juego, creo que para los que no lo han jugado puede resultar un poco confuso pues no explican bien muchas cosas y sólo son escenas como flascbacks de el pasado de los personajes. Creo que falta más explicación ya sea contada o a manera de documentos coleccionables que lo cuenten. Entiendo que con todo lo que han agregado y la gran cantidad de gráfico, la historia tenga que contarse por capítulos; es algo de lo que no podemos esperar de otra manera debido a la inmensidad de este proyecto que limita a los desarrolladores y siempre será un pequeño defecto de esto: la entrega por partes.

Jugabilidad 9/10
    Yo sólo juego JRPG gracias a este juego en primer lugar, y estaba escéptico del modo de juego que han colocado en las últimas entregas de la saga (los cuales no he jugado por que no me llaman la atención). Sin embargo ya jugandolo, SE SIENTE como un JRPG... hay un ATB (active time battle) como en el original a manera de turno el cual se acumula y puedes elegir la acción de cada personaje como si fuera un menú típico de un JRPG. Las batallas son acción pura, pero la jugabilidad tiene integrada perfectamente los menús de un JRPG. Es increíble.

Veredicto final 10/10
    Es un juego increíble, los fans de antaño no quedarán decepcionados. Es sencillamente espectacular y estaré esperando las siguientes partes.
  28. Apr 21, 2020
    the team nailed the game, expand it exceed everyone expectation..the combat is amazing, tons of well designed boss fight with cinematic cut....the level design is great although the level area bit repetitive..the music is amazing as always..cinematic is awesome..it feels like i playing sony's single player game ..bit downside is side quest is just like poor fetch padding..since the questthe team nailed the game, expand it exceed everyone expectation..the combat is amazing, tons of well designed boss fight with cinematic cut....the level design is great although the level area bit repetitive..the music is amazing as always..cinematic is awesome..it feels like i playing sony's single player game ..bit downside is side quest is just like poor fetch padding..since the quest is little, they atleast should give more storyline attention..everything is great,wish there more location but understanding the original what we have is overall is satisfying...but the ending is convulted kingdom heart cluster trainwreck fillers...those things kind of out of place in vii universe... last 30 minute ruined not only 90% of whole game, but also ruined the legacy, betrayed fans, devs, and the game itself..why fans want remake at first place? hope they understand why and take lesson from star wars..the ghosty things arent contributing to the story, it distrupt the scene..never enjoyed each moment those things appear...dumb idea from writer...hope they stop doing this for sequel..its like the devs crafted tonnes of diamond but one of them throw a pile of **** towards it...the game design foundation already being laid upon they need to increase the scope with bigger open area for next iteration..it could get higher score and deserve goty if not so for these dumb 'twist' ending despite minor problem like lazy quest and low res texture problem..the devs better thread carefully for next installment Expand
  29. Apr 15, 2020
    Many thanks to the developers. Your remake amazed me and brought me back to childhood. I liked absolutely everything! There were so many tears from the music ... I enjoyed every second of the game. The combat is striking in its beauty, just the choice of matter and their grouping with weapons gives a lot of variability in battle. Hopefully soon there will be a continuation of this amazingMany thanks to the developers. Your remake amazed me and brought me back to childhood. I liked absolutely everything! There were so many tears from the music ... I enjoyed every second of the game. The combat is striking in its beauty, just the choice of matter and their grouping with weapons gives a lot of variability in battle. Hopefully soon there will be a continuation of this amazing game. I'm really looking forward to it. Expand
  30. Apr 20, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILERS!!! Brilliant game! Beloved characters displayed in more depth than ever before, great combat, visuals, and creative direction. The combat is extremely smooth and easy to pick up, very reminiscent of the Kingdom Hearts series, whilst still standing on its own. The visuals are breathtaking, truly bringing Midgar and its citizens to life. The added length to this part of the story allows for more in depth character moments, and prolonged interactions to build relationships. I honestly do not understand the mixed/negative reactions towards this games ending, I would have been perfectly happy with a straight up Remake off the original game, but the prospect off seeing this story play out differently, different character fates, interactions, endgame material, is beyond exciting! The original game will always be there, and it tells an amazing story on its own, but with this new series we could get something equally as great, whilst being completely new using the same wonderful characters. Expand
  31. Apr 11, 2020
    Simply amazing

Best soundtrack of all time with excellent controls, beautiful graphics and a superb combat system.
  32. Apr 15, 2020
    This is the most interesting RPG I've ever played, Everyone thought it was a "remake", but after you complete the game, you will find that's not a simple "remake", the death of Aerith made me sad for such a long time, i always wanted a different ending, now my wish gonna be true because of square enix, this makes me exciting, I'm looking forward to chapter two.
  33. Apr 17, 2020
    This game is set in Midgar (the first part of Final Fantasy VII) and it's absolutely amazing on how it captures Midgar better than the original. In the original, Midgar is around 4 hours or so but in this game they managed to extend it up to 30-40 hours of story content keeping the original stuff and adding more relevant story into it. They didn't just throw in useless story content intoThis game is set in Midgar (the first part of Final Fantasy VII) and it's absolutely amazing on how it captures Midgar better than the original. In the original, Midgar is around 4 hours or so but in this game they managed to extend it up to 30-40 hours of story content keeping the original stuff and adding more relevant story into it. They didn't just throw in useless story content into this, but added more to each characters. You feel the side characters in this compared to the original.

As for gameplay and everything else... combat is PERFECT! It feels smooth and solid, easy to learn and get used to. There were controversy on how the game isn't turn-base but they did add a little element of it in the game, though it mainly focuses on real-time. It is a linear game but Midgar has always been linear part of the FFVII story. The game opens up after Midgar but we haven't reached that point yet.

This game is new players to Final Fantasy friendly, anyone can start with this game.
    There's not much bad thing to say about this game to be honest. Story, cutscenes, music, gameplay, graphics, all works perfectly with the modern FF-style.
    You can clearly see that Square Enix treasure this game a lot and they put a lot into this one. The wait was worth it and let's hope the next one comes sooner rather than 'VERY' later
  34. Apr 22, 2020
    When I had dreamt of a FF7 remake, this is mostly it, at least for part 1. The gameplay is amazing, the visuals, backgrounds and characters are amazing, and the story is mostly amazing, all that to me is a 9 out of 10, but I have some gripes with the game...

Major gripes: - Changes to the already perfect music, with the new renditions often being in different styles with parts removed

Major gripes:
    - Changes to the already perfect music, with the new renditions often being in different styles with parts removed and added that just don't sound nearly as good, nor do they fit, and anytime I heard the beginning of one of the classic songs, I would get pissed shortly after because of the changes made in it. There are some exceptions, but at least let me choose between the old song renditions and the remake renditions, with any new songs added still in both modes.

-Time/whisper story aspect, I won't go into further detail so I don't spoil, but this isn't Kingdom Hearts, don't make it like Kingdom Hearts...

Minor Gripes:
    - Sephiroth is less menacing because of the changes

- English voices don't fit most characters, nor do I think they were acted well (sorry, some needed better direction), but I switched to Japanese and that solved all problems

- Farming experience is way too easy at chapter 9+, too much of a breeze and we're only on part 1

- Lots of open areas, and areas added, but lack of treasure, I'm mostly talking before chapter 9, and I'm not asking for insane rewards, or anything I just want to feel rewarded for exploring, not walk several minutes off the path only to get nothing, FF7 felt much better with that

I did list a lot of gripes, but everything else really did make up for it, the combat and boss fights especially, and there is honestly no way to accurately express how much the original FF7 has impacted my life, its such a perfect experience and this remake hits very, very close, with some parts being even better and just being able to play Cloud in this way is a dream come true, so thank you, I greatly look forward to the rest if I'm still alive that is (3-6 yrs is a long time, also please remake FF8 after :))
  35. Apr 10, 2020
    Im not a crazy fan of ff franchise ..in fact I havent played any of em. After spending few hours playing this game...wow...just wow... its got pretty much everything I value in games. Good story...beautifully portrayed world, dynamic characters, etc so many things to list. What i loved the most about this game was the battle system... not a typical jrpg turn based battle.. but feels muchIm not a crazy fan of ff franchise ..in fact I havent played any of em. After spending few hours playing this game...wow...just wow... its got pretty much everything I value in games. Good story...beautifully portrayed world, dynamic characters, etc so many things to list. What i loved the most about this game was the battle system... not a typical jrpg turn based battle.. but feels much dynamic! I cant recommend more..just play.. u wont regret it Expand
  36. Apr 15, 2020
    Realmente hermoso, muy nostálgico para los old school, buen gameplay, excelente apartado artístico, y muy disfrutable de igual forma para todos. 10/10 GOTY
  37. Apr 13, 2020
    TLDR: One of the best games I have ever played!

The writing is fantastic! The characters are brilliant! The gameplay is top notch! The graphics are amazing! The soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal! The cutscenes are mind-bogginly amazing! The encounter and enemy design are outstanding!

Don't miss out on this incredible, fascinating and marvelous experience. B U Y I T NOW! :D
  38. Apr 10, 2020
    It is immediately apparent that a lot of care went into remaking the game. The visuals are impressive and the character moments are well written and expertly animated. The environments are full of ingenious details, with plenty of delightful voice acting. It was a challenge in itself to structure a complete experience from the introductory sequence, and the developers achieved it.It is immediately apparent that a lot of care went into remaking the game. The visuals are impressive and the character moments are well written and expertly animated. The environments are full of ingenious details, with plenty of delightful voice acting. It was a challenge in itself to structure a complete experience from the introductory sequence, and the developers achieved it.

However, there seems to be a noteworthy difference in direction between the original concept from Hironobu Sakaguchi, and the new vision from Tetsuya Nomura and Motomu Toriyama. The gloomy and foreboding mood has given way to a more dramatic and eager pitch reminiscent of other entries in the series. The central theme of loss is somewhat diluted amidst the everyday side content, and the convoluted changes to the main plot, while surprising, ultimately lean toward a more generic story. The gameplay elements are varied and entertaining, but also less effective at conveying the atmosphere, with a very linear pacing and emphasis on busywork.

All in all, this is a refreshing return to the universe which provides beautiful vignettes and flavorful if less focused additions to the context. It certainly has its own charm, but it will not haunt me as much as the original. The meta-narrative implications could be notably improved by what comes in the next part, but at this point, they do not quite stand on their own. Suffice it to say that it is one of the most accomplished games from Square Enix in recent memories.
  39. Apr 10, 2020
    10/10 - Fun and Challenging

Music: Fans of the series will enjoy a fresh take on the classic Final Fantasy themes. Gameplay: The combat system is one of a kind and beautiful to watch. Story: The story is immersive and interesting. Relates to a lot of problems we see in society today. You will really enjoy the character development and each persons story. Graphics: The graphics in
    10/10 - Fun and Challenging

Gameplay: The combat system is one of a kind and beautiful to watch.
    Graphics: The graphics in this game are so good you'll be left wishing you had a photo mode.
  40. Apr 17, 2020
    I absolutely loved this game. I enjoyed getting to know more characters, especially Jessie and Midgar as a whole. I was depressed when the game ended and immediately wanted to go back. Not sure why all these other folks are rating the game 0, but Square Enix did a fantastic job to me and I can't wait to continue the journey. So what if the game diverts from the original by changing theI absolutely loved this game. I enjoyed getting to know more characters, especially Jessie and Midgar as a whole. I was depressed when the game ended and immediately wanted to go back. Not sure why all these other folks are rating the game 0, but Square Enix did a fantastic job to me and I can't wait to continue the journey. So what if the game diverts from the original by changing the future, I still enjoyed the game! Expand
  41. Apr 13, 2020
    The combat system beats the original as does the story telling and soundtrack! The graphics could be updated in some areas (which is a minor gripe). The original was one of my favourite games of all time and I can already tell this will do it justice.

The original was mostly linear in Midgar as I remember. Therefore, any worries about the linearity of the game are superfluous as this will be rectified once the next parts come out with the world map/open world to explore fully.
  42. Apr 16, 2020
    One of the best final fantasy ever made, they manage to make a 6 hour of the original game into 40 hour, so emotional, music is perfect... Graphic is ok, sometimes is superb, sometimes it have ps1 graphic

It would have been a 10 if it wasn't foe the horrible ending who destroyed everything about ff 7 mitology and 20 years of fan expectation
  43. Apr 11, 2020
    Absolutely brilliant. FFVII has been one of my favourite games of all time for over 20 years. I am 36 years old now and I can tell you that this is so incredibly refreshing and nostalgic. What rich, rich character depth and atmospheric beauty. The kids that are rating this poorly have no taste. What a spectacular remake! There will be further, lush chapters to this, you idiot kids.
  44. Apr 10, 2020
    Supera todas las expectativas. El amor y el detalle que se le ha dado a este juego para los fans del original es excelente. Es un juego totalmente nuevo con pequeños cambios en la narración pero que no cambia en absoluto la esencia del juego original, cada detalle permanece allí. Los gráficos excelentes, banda sonora sobresaliente, las cinemáticas son una delicia, el sistema de combate esSupera todas las expectativas. El amor y el detalle que se le ha dado a este juego para los fans del original es excelente. Es un juego totalmente nuevo con pequeños cambios en la narración pero que no cambia en absoluto la esencia del juego original, cada detalle permanece allí. Los gráficos excelentes, banda sonora sobresaliente, las cinemáticas son una delicia, el sistema de combate es perfecto, los jefes finales son desafiantes, el sistema de mejora de armas y de materias es muy equilibrado, y lo mejor de todo, es la experiencia Final Fantasy VII que queríamos. Gracias por este juego. Expand
  45. Apr 11, 2020
    This game is a great remake go's to show what 5+ years of love and care can do to a 23 year old game there are a few texture problems none that really bother me too much but that all dosen't matter this is a very fun rpg that captured the original game but makes it 100X more better
  46. Apr 13, 2020
    An amazing retelling of an iconic game. The highest praise I can give it is that it made me love these characters even more and I can’t wait to continue this journey.
  47. Apr 20, 2020
    Truly amazing . Reimagines the original so well, the dialogue is so natural . The combat system is very easy to pick up but hard to master with how much you can micro manage . On top of that the added depth and length of midgar is excellent and I love how they are not making a 1:1 remake of the original.The game looks and runs great even on my original ps4. The original ff7 was an amazingTruly amazing . Reimagines the original so well, the dialogue is so natural . The combat system is very easy to pick up but hard to master with how much you can micro manage . On top of that the added depth and length of midgar is excellent and I love how they are not making a 1:1 remake of the original.The game looks and runs great even on my original ps4. The original ff7 was an amazing game and it didn’t need to be tampered with so they didn’t and did something else and I personally think it’s better . I love this game and really excited for the later parts. I recommend you go into this game without any expectations or outside opinions . I did that and it really helped me enjoy the game for what it is. An amazing achievement in show casing the classic ff7 story in a new and fresh light for a new generation. I wish the ending would have been closer to the og ff7 however they did such a job i have faith it will end well Expand
  48. Apr 20, 2020
    Hardcore fans expected too much. Newcomers didn't expect this much! This games an easy 9 out of 10 for the soundtrack, game play and visuals alone. The story is well done no matter what anyone says. If you want the original go play the original. This is a REMAKE. Everyone KNEW things were going to change and that more content would be added. If you want to play the exact same game withHardcore fans expected too much. Newcomers didn't expect this much! This games an easy 9 out of 10 for the soundtrack, game play and visuals alone. The story is well done no matter what anyone says. If you want the original go play the original. This is a REMAKE. Everyone KNEW things were going to change and that more content would be added. If you want to play the exact same game with better visuals then go play a REMASTER. This is not a remaster, it's a remake so fix your expectations and stop trolling your game scores when you know you enjoyed it ;) Expand
  49. Apr 12, 2020
    This game is set in that midgar, and is a work that deeply describes the back story the people of Avalanche and slums.

Regarding the degree of freedom is less than Final Fantasy 15. However, there is more freedom than Final Fantasy 13. I personally felt that Final Fantasy 7 Remake was arranged in the style of Final Fantasy 10. Regarding the battle system is an evolutionary ATB system of

Regarding the degree of freedom is less than Final Fantasy 15.
    However, there is more freedom than Final Fantasy 13.

Regarding the battle system is an evolutionary ATB system of Parasite Eve, rather than Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts.

I felt that Final Fantasy 7 Remake was an item for original fans.

I want to recommend playing the game after clear the original Final Fantasy 7, which is not recommended for the first experience of the FF series.

Apart from the freedom of exploration and the fact that a part1, Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a great remake.
  50. Apr 10, 2020
    + This is the best new game I have played in years.
    + If your open to changes then the game is fresh by striking a good balance between new and old.
    + The action in this game is mind blowing and there is loads of bosses that are mind blowing. + There is only 3 chapters (sort of 4) where your doing side quests and they are voice acted. + Graphics are great though some blurry textures
    + This is the best new game I have played in years.
    + Graphics are great though some blurry textures here and there. Overall it's stunning.
    + Animation is fantastic and there is so many story cut scenes that look great.
    + Certain big moments have much more emotional impact than the PS1.
    + Maybe the best action combat in an JRPG to date.
    + I'd love to see the OST for this game as there is so many different great songs in this game.
    - There are times where it feels unfair when your spells keep getting interrupted.
    = If your unhappy that it isn't turn based, well I hate to break it to you but the only mainline FF games to be turn based are 1, 2, 3 and 10. If your still unhappy that the remake isn't the exact same game as the original but prettier, well the remake doesn't replace the original and both are worth replaying multiple times in the future, more so because of the differences.
  51. Apr 10, 2020
    Almost Perfect Remake!

The Ending may be a bit disappointing and different as some expected but the rest is really great.

Do your thing Square! After this Game i can't wait to see how the next Game will be like!
  52. Apr 12, 2020
    I was a bit worried beforehand about this game because the original is so sacred to me and many. However, after hours of diving in, this game has far exceeded my expectations. It’s given me that same feeling as the first time I played the original as a kid; like playing a memory but with more details. It’s a beautiful game that I think will set the standard for remakes. Also, afterI was a bit worried beforehand about this game because the original is so sacred to me and many. However, after hours of diving in, this game has far exceeded my expectations. It’s given me that same feeling as the first time I played the original as a kid; like playing a memory but with more details. It’s a beautiful game that I think will set the standard for remakes. Also, after playing, I fully understand why it was split; the game is massive and truly full length, and it would’ve taken years to release a whole given the size of this one alone. It’s worth every penny. If you love Final Fantasy VII, you owe this to yourself to play. I found myself with an unknowing smile so many times playing; and that’s something a game hasn’t captured for me in quite a while even as an avid gamer. They knocked it out of the park with this one. Gorgeous graphics, emotionally gripping story, and gameplay mechanics are a blast. Expand
  53. Apr 19, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played the original far back in 1997 and was sceptical due the episodic format.
    But let me tell you, this is one of the best games i played in a long time.

The ending certainly got me suprised and left me confused, wheter i like it or not.
    But the thrill of having nostalgia mixed in with **** and diffrent scenario changes gave me an unbelievable ride that i will never forget.
    As long as the next games dont threw in too much fate confusion and give me a good mix of new and old into the pot, jeez i hope this ride of new games within this ( remake/ reboot series) will last for some years.

Besides all that, this combat system is probably the best thing i had in years. Cant believe i am redoing 30 min Boss fights, just for the sake of it.
  54. Apr 10, 2020
    Despite seeing clips of major spoilers of the original game since it's release, I've never actually followed the series. All I knew about the game were the faces of it's iconic characters (and certain important scenes). Which means I am coming into this game without the nostalgia that I see many people have.

I really loved everything about this game. The only cons i could think of were

I really loved everything about this game. The only cons i could think of were the sometimes stale and dragged out missions/puzzles.
  55. Apr 10, 2020
    As a Final Fantasy game - best release in last 10 years
    As a Final Fantasy VII remake - it's just awesome. Whole new experience.
    Of course they will not do exact copy/paste from FF7 material and just improve graphics because that would not be playable - in my opinion.
    I only played 5.0h so far and I love every single peace of the game.
  56. Jun 20, 2020
    Easily one of my favorite games of all times. Don't want to spoil the reasons, but the way it builds on the original FFVII is magnificent. Music is perfect, almost everything is. Overwhelming good easily overshadows the flaws it has.
  57. Apr 11, 2020
    All i can say is WOW! They did it guys they actually made a fantastic remake of the original with tons of new content and The gameplay Is a hybrid of Action and turnbased (and its the best combat in any FF game imho) and the Characters are just so fleshed out compared to the original which was legendary! This is a MUST BUY for any FF fan,They nailed this game my only complaints is theAll i can say is WOW! They did it guys they actually made a fantastic remake of the original with tons of new content and The gameplay Is a hybrid of Action and turnbased (and its the best combat in any FF game imho) and the Characters are just so fleshed out compared to the original which was legendary! This is a MUST BUY for any FF fan,They nailed this game my only complaints is the textures can seem a lil off in some areas and That we gotta wait for Part 2. Either way im Hands down buying Part 2 day 1! Expand
  58. Apr 12, 2020
    A great game, but not perfect. Issues with graphics, level design, linear world.
    And the ending is a bit confusing.
  59. Apr 12, 2020
    Everything I dreamed of as a kid. Thrilling action and beautiful game. It’s a personal winner for me, with the pressure of doing well. It does great as a game decades later.
  60. Apr 12, 2020
    Absolutely fantastic of a game. A true remake made by people who loved the original. I enjoyed it and can't wait for the second part of the series. Like the Lord of the Rings Trilogy or the Harry Potter series, it's nice that they took the time to really flesh out the story and not try to compact it to one release.
  61. Apr 12, 2020
    I hadn't played the original game when it came out. I was a big fan of RTS games and really couldn't wrap my head around a turn based game. I went into this game pretty blind besides knowing the basics the whole internet knows. I was a bit worried things would get glossed over and I'd be confused... but that didn't happen. The game was a wild ride and i loved the combat system.I hadn't played the original game when it came out. I was a big fan of RTS games and really couldn't wrap my head around a turn based game. I went into this game pretty blind besides knowing the basics the whole internet knows. I was a bit worried things would get glossed over and I'd be confused... but that didn't happen. The game was a wild ride and i loved the combat system. Jumping from character to character was great. It was a bit slow with just 2 characters but with a full party is was a blast. Super looking forward to the next game. Expand
  62. Apr 12, 2020
    Solo puedo decir que los 5 años de espera han merecido mucho la pena.
    Este juego es una maravilla y es todo lo que los fans estábamos esperando, gracias Square Enix.
  63. Apr 12, 2020
    Es un juego genial. Aunque igual creo que partes no tan importantes las hicieron bastante largas pudiendo enfocarse en cubrir más historia. También entiendo que sería difícil incluir en esta primera parte un mundo abierto al salir de midgar por ello quizá lo hicieron asi y cortaron allí exactamente. Excelente Remake, espero la segunda parte con emoción y ojalá sea mundo abierto. En esteEs un juego genial. Aunque igual creo que partes no tan importantes las hicieron bastante largas pudiendo enfocarse en cubrir más historia. También entiendo que sería difícil incluir en esta primera parte un mundo abierto al salir de midgar por ello quizá lo hicieron asi y cortaron allí exactamente. Excelente Remake, espero la segunda parte con emoción y ojalá sea mundo abierto. En este estoy de acuerdo que no lo fuera porque incluso en el original parecían capitulos así que le vino bien. Expand
  64. Apr 11, 2020
    A fantastic remake.. and if you have never okayed FF7 this is still a great game. The combat system is very good and satisfying and the story is still a great one to follow. Dont pass this up.
  65. Apr 12, 2020
    FF7 Remake had the unenviable task of following a gaming juggernaught, needing to both appease the fans of the original whilst giving the same service to modern gaming sensibilities. Square Enix is a shadow of what Squaresoft where back in the 90s, when FF6, FF7, Chrono Trigger and so on where being churned out - legendary game after legendary game. So hopes were not high for me,FF7 Remake had the unenviable task of following a gaming juggernaught, needing to both appease the fans of the original whilst giving the same service to modern gaming sensibilities. Square Enix is a shadow of what Squaresoft where back in the 90s, when FF6, FF7, Chrono Trigger and so on where being churned out - legendary game after legendary game. So hopes were not high for me, especially after the somewhat disappointing FF15.

But here we are with the remake. Is it as good as the original? No. In many ways it doesn't even come close to it.

But is it better than any reasonable person could have hoped for? Absolutely yes.

I'll start with my complaints. First, this really didn't need to be episodic. The padding is borderline criminal - particularly the numerous pointless side quests - just to expand the Midgar section into a 'full' game. Midgar in the original was actually just a few hours long; it just felt longer because of teh quality and depth of content that was crammed into that location. Remake simultaneously fleshes out the world of Midgar but makes it much more shallow feeling at the same time.

That said, you don't really have to worry about avoiding spoilers for the next few years until the next part, because this isn't a straight up rehash of the original. Instead, the story - initially following the original beat for beat - goes off on a mad tangent towards the end, and honestly I feel this is to the detriment of the game. It feels like they were in a desperate rush to introduce certain characters. The story also lends itself to another issue the game has - extreme linearity. Not as bad as FF13 with the endless corridors, but not far off from it either, because the game wants to hit story notes one after the other and therefore has little time to allow the player some individual expression.

They are flaws - and big ones - but it would be remiss of me not to now focus on the positives, of which there are many more. The combat system - my biggest fear of all going in - is beautifully done. The incorporation of materia into a live battle system has been majestically done. I thought I'd miss ATB in Remake and it would sour the game for me; remarkably it hasn't. The characters are spot on - again, my fear was they'd be diluted and taken too seriously, but no; the comedic element is there, the voices (for the most part) are perfectly fitting and the expansion of the side character development here is a definite improvement over the original. Graphically, this is absolutely gorgeous - Midgar feels alive, the characters are animated wonderfully - it is in every way the world you imagined in your minds' eye when playing the original with those blocky little characters. The anticipation to see Cosmo Canyon etc. in the next episode for me now is HUGE!

I have long felt that the soundtrack for Final Fantasy 7 was the most beautiful, complete, awe-inspiring soundtrack in gaming history - one that tells a story in its' own right. The remake reaffirms that view for me - it is glorious. Yet... for me, not quite as impactful as the originals. I think the music is too... smooth? It's hard to explain, but I think the lower quality "abrupt" notes from the original left more of an impression, especially in the flow of the game in Remake and when the sound effects in battle seem to drown out the battle theme.

Overall, despite my fears about it going in, FF7 Remake is an easy recommendation to make. At least for me. I feel that a lot of your enjoyment of it is going to depend on your expectations going in. If you're a FF7 veteran, try and bare in mind that this isn't a replacement for the original; it's a reimagining of it. The original still exists for you. It was never going to be as good as the original for you.

But for those new to the game or even the franchise? Here's your perfect jumping in point. Enjoy!
  66. Apr 12, 2020
    New to the Final Fantasy series. This is my first game and all I can say is that is one of the most beautiful PS4 games I’ve played. And that’s no easy task since PS4 has the most graphically awesome games ever. Great story and amazing characters that I will probably never forget. Plus, the soundtrack is one of the best I’ve heard in a while for a video game.

Thank you for another great exclusive PlayStation!
  67. Apr 12, 2020
    Finally a good FF game. This is so much better than the FF15 garbage we got last time. Having played the original, it's amazing what they've done. The combat system is really nice compared to the rubbish they gave us in FF15. After FF15 I lost hope of ever playing a quality FF game again, but with this game they've really turned things around. The only reason for not giving it a 10 isFinally a good FF game. This is so much better than the FF15 garbage we got last time. Having played the original, it's amazing what they've done. The combat system is really nice compared to the rubbish they gave us in FF15. After FF15 I lost hope of ever playing a quality FF game again, but with this game they've really turned things around. The only reason for not giving it a 10 is because of technical issues like texture streaming. At one point, all the textures in an area looked like PS2 texutres, but after restarting the game it sorted itself out. Can't wait for the next chapter(s) of the game! Expand
  68. Apr 10, 2020
    One word: impressive!
    Impressive that they managed to ensure FF7 remains a unique creative masterpiece.
    Impressive how they improved the visuals compared ro FF15 and of course the origibal. These character and weapon models look insane, sometimes I'd argue even better than Advent Children. Impressive how they managed to let me wait for the sequel. Let me be clear though that it wasn't a
    One word: impressive!
    Impressive how they managed to let me wait for the sequel.
    Let me be clear though that it wasn't a perfect game, but to me it did so much right, that 9 is definitely justofied.
  69. Apr 10, 2020
    O melhor Final Fantasy da ultima década, O rei dos JRPG voltou tudo no jogo e perfeito, os gráficos são incríveis e a banda sonora espectacular. Finalmente conseguiram criar um sistema de combate que junta o ATB e o tempo real de forma perfeita. Mal posso esperar que chegue a parte 2....Simplesmente magnifico!!!!!
  70. Apr 11, 2020
    Ignore all the low ratings. They don't understand what a "Remake" is and most of them should be taken down as they are in-coherent. The game is wonderful. Combat is nice and fluid. The equipment and materia system is very nice to play with. Graphics are amazing. Character progression and personality is great. It does have some filler but that's expected for today's RPG's on side quests,Ignore all the low ratings. They don't understand what a "Remake" is and most of them should be taken down as they are in-coherent. The game is wonderful. Combat is nice and fluid. The equipment and materia system is very nice to play with. Graphics are amazing. Character progression and personality is great. It does have some filler but that's expected for today's RPG's on side quests, etc and it's not that bad to lower the score. Overall the game is amazing and a must play especially if you loved the original. Expand
  71. Apr 11, 2020
    Es ist gut wird viel Wert auf Story gelegt. Für mich daher 9 Punkte, da der Spielablauf schon dadurch sich etwas gefühlt sich zieht
  72. Apr 11, 2020
    I loved the original back then, when I was a kid. But this remake just blows my mind. So impressively well done. I love you square enix.
  73. Apr 12, 2020
    El videojuego es increíble, sus diálogos, su historia, su banda sonora. Realmente crea una vibra cuando lo juegas, y sientes completamente que estas en el universo del videojuego. Gráficamente es impecable, saca todo el provecho de una consola como PS4 y está muy bien optimizado.
  74. Apr 17, 2020
    There are 18 chapters in this game. I was absolutely hooked for the first 17. This game was like a good book, you just had to find out wgag happens next! The music is unreal. The character development makes you love the gang. The combat is great once you get used to it. Honestly this game is just unreal. However, like with everyone else - I didn't like the ending. I had not played theThere are 18 chapters in this game. I was absolutely hooked for the first 17. This game was like a good book, you just had to find out wgag happens next! The music is unreal. The character development makes you love the gang. The combat is great once you get used to it. Honestly this game is just unreal. However, like with everyone else - I didn't like the ending. I had not played the original game before but this ending just did not suit it for me. I was very disappointed with the ending and it left me very unsatisfied. That being said, this game is worth it for the first 17 chapters. Expand
  75. Apr 10, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. wow really wow i just finished the game. easily the best jrpg this year. since i played the original. i can say that i understand what the ending scene was. since im hoping for new content im very happy with it. cant wait for the sequel! Expand
  76. Apr 10, 2020
    This game is an absolute wonder to play from seasoned vetrans to new comers to the series. Square have done an amazing job reworking the ATB system to make the combat some much more exciting minute by minute while also retaining the stratigic feel of the original.

The story follows the original while fleshing out the characters significanlty, however during my time playing i did feel that some of the side quest particularlly tedious and there is some noticable padding compared to the original.

overall the game is extremely well polished and i will be looking forward to the parts to come.
  77. Apr 11, 2020
    El remake soñado,una obra maestra,tiene algunos fallos de texturas que deslucen un poco su potencial gráfico pero en general es un juegazo increíble. Me devuelve a la infancia.
  78. Apr 12, 2020
    It's way more fun that I thought it would be. The gameplay is fast paced and tactical at the same time. The visuals are amazing, one of the best looking games on PS4. Yes the story isn't a copy paste from the original but that actually makes me more intrigued at what happens next. Overall I am happy with it, it's not the PERFECT FFVII remake but it's pretty damn good.
  79. Apr 10, 2020
    Loved it, soundtrack is epic and fresh, yet memorable. The story telling and battle system for me are what i wanted.
    The funny stuff of the original is still there, and Aerith is amazing
  80. Apr 10, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Once finished I can say it's a perfect mix, respect for the original and probably a new beginning. I love it. Expand
  81. Apr 15, 2020
    First of to adress all the 0 Scores. I informed myself beforehand si did know that this was going to be midgar only, i did know it wasnt ff7 with polished graphics and i had no lags or input delays or whatever people are complaining about.

The story and world gets alot of love, so do the characters. The overall changes feel well made and i went from fanboying to fangirling within the first 10 hours of play, i love it. The game is somewhat difficult but absolutely doable with a little focus (even after a very long session)

Only point deduction is for the many awkward "walk slow" moments. I dont mind the panorama moments, i enjoy them but i dont like being stalled en routes ive already traversed 20 times. This and some other minor things that i feel are clunkier then they need be.

Edit: I just finished the game in 36 hours, i did most of the quests but not all, i didnt play it in hard mode so there is more content.

The ending has me conflicted like many others but instead of saying its a bad game because they didnt do what i wanted, i will accept a good game as a good game and wait for the next.
  82. Apr 11, 2020
    What I m most surprised about with most ratings that give a 0 for this game is that the so called die hard fans of the Og ff7 are disappointed this game only covers 10% of the original story. And my question is this: How can you be a so called "die hard fan of FF7" and not know the first thing everybody knew about this remake from day 1?
  83. Apr 12, 2020
    Un Muy Buen Juego !!! Graficos y ambientación espectaculares!!! La jugabilidad está muy Bien .
    La historia impecable . Me ha sorprendido muy Gratamente lo mejor de este 2020 !!!! Muy recomendado , yo en mi caso lo he adquirido en versión digital.
  84. Apr 12, 2020
    Fantastic game. An unrivaled soundtrack, incredible story with fantastic character development and expansion from the original. Amazing gameplay system, truly epic multi phased boss battles, great voice acting all around and amazing graphics (although there are a few classic unreal engine 4 texture issues here and there). Beside from the aformentioned point, and there being an almostFantastic game. An unrivaled soundtrack, incredible story with fantastic character development and expansion from the original. Amazing gameplay system, truly epic multi phased boss battles, great voice acting all around and amazing graphics (although there are a few classic unreal engine 4 texture issues here and there). Beside from the aformentioned point, and there being an almost unnecessary filler section (return to the sewers) this game is unbelievably good. Truly an emotional experience, especially for those so heavily effected and invested in these characters and the original game. Expand
  85. Apr 12, 2020
    I've played the original game once through in 2016 really enjoyed it. Playing it now really gives me another perspective of the game and the storytelling is so much more rich and makes me want to invest soooooo much time in it. Love the combat system but also the enriched character development which is further explored in the well implemented side missions. Definitely going for theI've played the original game once through in 2016 really enjoyed it. Playing it now really gives me another perspective of the game and the storytelling is so much more rich and makes me want to invest soooooo much time in it. Love the combat system but also the enriched character development which is further explored in the well implemented side missions. Definitely going for the platinum on this one Expand
  86. Apr 13, 2020
    As a FF7 fan (the best game I've ever played) I can say that this is the best I've played in years.
  87. Apr 21, 2020
    For me playing this game was so emotional, after playing then original when I was only 11 years old. They have created a masterpiece and done an amazing job, yes changed pieces but I'm excited in what's to come. This is the game of the generation for me. Thanks square x
  88. Apr 10, 2020
    for a long time fan of ffvii this was a very good remake
  89. Apr 10, 2020
    Masterpiece!!! One of the Greatest rpg of all time and graphics is super amazing
  90. Apr 11, 2020
    The game's combat gameplay is at its peak, the new-era graphics give the long-ago game a new lease of life, and the addition of the original trio love Jesse. The kh3 combat system surprised me with the SE's technology, and the ff7 system did not disappoint me
  91. Apr 11, 2020
    I really had a blast playing Final Fantasy 7 Remake, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it isn't a "complete" game. I don't mean it's incomplete or shallow, but if you compare Final Fantasy 7 Remake to other recent Final Fantasy games like 15 or even 10, there is way less content in 7s Remake as there was in 15 or 10 for the same price tag (if you consider the time distance between 10I really had a blast playing Final Fantasy 7 Remake, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it isn't a "complete" game. I don't mean it's incomplete or shallow, but if you compare Final Fantasy 7 Remake to other recent Final Fantasy games like 15 or even 10, there is way less content in 7s Remake as there was in 15 or 10 for the same price tag (if you consider the time distance between 10 and 15). For the 60 Euros price tag I just expected something more. The 40 hour length of the game is on itself not a problem, as long as those 40 hours are packed with fun and engaging activities. Unfortunately 7s Remake provides here significantly less content than 15 did. Most minigames happen only once or twice in the story and even the sidequests are mostly fetch- or killquests with not much story to support them. Despite that Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a really good game with many improvements over the original. The biggest improvement in the Remake is in my opinion the battlesystem. After the boring press-circle-to-win tactic from Final Fantasy 15 it's great to have a battlesystem that combines a modern action combat system with parts of the classic Final Fantasy ATB system. Also the graphics and the new character models along with the voice acting took, in comparison to the original (which didn't have voiceacting), huge steps forward, although I still prefer Advent Children Sephiroth. For people that love Final Fantasy I definitely recommend buying it, people that love RPGs in general and have no or only small ties with Final Fantasy should maybe wait for a pricedrop to 40 or 50 Euros (or the equivalent currency in their countries) or rent it from a friend for a few days and play the first few chapters for themselves.

TLDR: Great game for fans of Final Fantasy, very very good but relatively expensive (comparing price and content) game for RPG fans.
  92. Apr 10, 2020
    A perfect game for new people in the game and also the old ones, it have a unique combat system, amazing graphics and an amazing story, if you are doubting about to buy it or not pls buy it you wont regret
  93. Apr 10, 2020
    I played the original final fantasy 7 back when it was released on PC on 1997 . I even finished the game like 3 times that's how much I was fascinated by it. Now this remake didn't delete anything old but it did add a lot of new stuff that old gamers and even new ones would appreciate . Yes the side quests does take out some the game appeal since there weren't any side quests in theI played the original final fantasy 7 back when it was released on PC on 1997 . I even finished the game like 3 times that's how much I was fascinated by it. Now this remake didn't delete anything old but it did add a lot of new stuff that old gamers and even new ones would appreciate . Yes the side quests does take out some the game appeal since there weren't any side quests in the original one in midgar area and the fact that battle incounters are not random any more but that shouldn't make the game less appealing . Maybe in the future for the next part of the game if they make it like when you finish a dungeon and come back you find enemies again that would be a good idea . Otherwise this game is worth every scent and anyone who plays it will have a lot of fun with it . I highly recommend playing the final fantasy 7 remake (even if it's just one part and square wants to capitalize on it by making it on multiple parts ) Expand
  94. May 19, 2020
    I am excited this game. Probably one of the best game of last years. I've voted this game 9/10 previously, but when I finished it and started new "hard mode" walkthrough I realized that if I don't vote this game 10/10 I should not vote 10/10 for any another game at all.
  95. Apr 10, 2020
    i like it. Its a remake not an HD remaster. As a fan of the original game there is no reason not to pick this up and enjoy what they did to expand this world. its a story game not an open world Skyrim game and that's okay for me. Cant wait for part 2
  96. Apr 10, 2020
    Is it a perfect game? No, but it is the best remake of a beloved 23 year old game that a developer could possibly make and it is only the first part! The original holds such a special place in alot of people's hearts. Square Enix really put their all into this beautiful retelling of a masterpiece and I appreciate them so much for it.
  97. Apr 10, 2020
    To all of you people criticizing this game for being only one part of the full story, One: they've made that clear since like 2016, and two: the developers of the original FFVII claimed it would make the story feel less rushed. Since FFXV and KH3 were criticized for feeling rushed, and that 3 or 4 parts would help make it feel more complete in the end. They even claimed they couldn't fitTo all of you people criticizing this game for being only one part of the full story, One: they've made that clear since like 2016, and two: the developers of the original FFVII claimed it would make the story feel less rushed. Since FFXV and KH3 were criticized for feeling rushed, and that 3 or 4 parts would help make it feel more complete in the end. They even claimed they couldn't fit an entire remake on one game without cutting TONS of content.

It's more of a re imagining of the original rather than a remake.

Also there is a turn based inspired system for people who don't like the new one called "classic" mode.

And the missing and low res textures will prob be fixed in the PS5 and PC ports because this game is pushing the PS4 pro to it's LIMITS.

A remake is obviously gonna change a lot since it's remade from the ground up, just how everyone wanted, so I don't understand why people get mad when some things were added/changed.

In the end, this game is amazing and a lot of the concerns and criticisms don't make sense, but we all knew some people would hate it regardless for no reason.
    I loved the original and I love this.
  98. Apr 12, 2020
    It's everything I could've hoped for it to be, the expanded story, and characters, the mini games, the combat. The only issue with my playthrough was with the textures, at some parts it seems it doesn't load them properly, I'm thinking it can be fixed with a patch, but Square hasn't said anything about it yet.
  99. ddy
    Apr 13, 2020
    Highly addictive gameplay, amazing graphics and presentation. I also loved the direction the ending took. I only decided to get this game at launch after it become clear that the game would have some interesting story changes. Paying £50 for a story that I already knew back to front didn’t really interest me. So I certainly wasn’t dissapointed by this game. The game perfectly balancesHighly addictive gameplay, amazing graphics and presentation. I also loved the direction the ending took. I only decided to get this game at launch after it become clear that the game would have some interesting story changes. Paying £50 for a story that I already knew back to front didn’t really interest me. So I certainly wasn’t dissapointed by this game. The game perfectly balances remaking/calling back to the original and adding new concepts and story beats which keeps it fresh and interesting.

The ending was really great and unexpected and now has me very excited for the next instalments. People who are upset by this can always go and play the original. unexpected
  100. Apr 10, 2020
    This game is a technical masterpiece. It is visually stunning and the characters and story pulls at your heart. The battles are kinetic, fast-paced and intense. Playing this game is similar to walking through and marvelling at the Ff7 that lived always inside your imagination. A dream brought to life.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 126 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 14, 2020
    Final Fantasy VII Remake is the game we've been waiting for from Square Enix for so long. Atmospheric, interesting and exciting all your attention modern jRPG with an interesting story and spectacular battles. To achieve the ideal, the project only needs more even graphics and all the content from the original release. If you were waiting for a turn-based classic with new graphics you will most likely be disappointed, since the game has changed a lot. Everyone else is happy with the release of the first really powerful single-player release from the internal Square Enix studio for many years. Especially after the failure of Final Fantasy XV.
  2. Aug 20, 2020
    A good remake of the introductory part of the cult-favorite Final Fantasy VII. It improves on the original game in almost all aspects, yet lacks in scale and drops the ball at the very end.
  3. Aug 10, 2020
    What matters is still intact, and that’s the heart and soul of one of the greatest stories in video game history. It’s a return to form that has felt a long time in coming, and what’s even better is that there’s still at least two more games of this quality to come...They can’t mess this up, can they?