- Summary: After taking a bullet during World War II and returning home to Empire Bay on leave, Sicilian immigrant Vito Scaletta discovers that his late father was indebted to a loan shark. He needs to make a lot of money fast, and thanks to his career criminal best friend Joe, soon becomes entangledAfter taking a bullet during World War II and returning home to Empire Bay on leave, Sicilian immigrant Vito Scaletta discovers that his late father was indebted to a loan shark. He needs to make a lot of money fast, and thanks to his career criminal best friend Joe, soon becomes entangled with the mob. As Vito, you need to prove yourself by committing crimes of escalating reward, status, and consequence. But what happens when your motivations become less about necessity and more about greed? When having it all is not enough? For the first time ever, Mafia II: Definitive Edition packs the entire Mafia II crime drama into one HD package. HDR and 4K resolution are supported on PC as well as on PlayStation®4 Pro and Xbox One X consoles. Mafia II: Definitive Edition also benefits from improved facial animations to give cutscenes an even more cinematic feel. While technological and graphical improvements have given Empire Bay and its inhabitants a visual overhaul, Vito's timeless story is unchanged.… Expand
- Developer: Hangar 13
- Genre(s): Action Adventure, Open-World
- # of players: No Online Multiplayer
- Cheats: On GameFAQs
- More Details and Credits »
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
Mafia II: Definitive Edition - Official Launch Trailer
Positive: 0 out of 9
Mixed: 7 out of 9
Negative: 2 out of 9
May 31, 2020Although Mafia 2: Definitive Edition is full of bugs and glitches and the gameplay feels a bit dated, it is still a fun experience especially for the fans of the series, and as soon as updates and patches start to roll out, we can expect a much more stable game.
May 20, 2020Mafia II: Definitive Edition is not especially a good remaster... Avoid if the game is fresh in your memories.
Playstation Official Magazine UKJun 26, 2020Offering many memorable moments and a well-realised if empty world, this remaster is dragged down by some technical flaws . The Definitive Edition? Not quite. [Issue#177, p.147]
May 27, 2020What should have been a great return for the ten year old classic ends up being one of the worst remaster I've ever played, with almost no graphical updates and staggering framerate issues. A remaster should fix the issues of the original not make them worse.
Jun 22, 2020Unfortunately, this version of Mafia II feels like a barely-touched-up version of a last-gen game that constantly tested my patience and despite my love for the script, I can’t recommend that anyone play through hours and hours of a mediocre, buggy mess just to see the cutscenes. In its current state, Mafia II: Definitive Edition is not worth a player’s time or money — without any further improvements or substantial patches, this one needs to sleep with the fishes.
Jun 9, 2020The remaster of Mafia II remains a great opportunity totally missed by the publisher to turn the bad memories, softened anyway by nostalgia, into a new worthwhile adventure. Instead, we received a console port put together haphazardly and without any care or consideration. The Definitive Edition of Mafia II dooms the game to go down in history as an experience that went from bad to worse.
May 24, 2020Mafia II: Definitive Edition could have been a welcome distraction during the quieter summer months, but in its current state, it must be avoided at all costs. While its narrative and writing may still hold up 10 years later, the long, long list of technical flaws and glitches overshadows its few accomplishments. And that's all it deserves because this is the worst remaster of the PS4 generation.
Positive: 17 out of 63
Mixed: 14 out of 63
Negative: 32 out of 63
May 19, 2020great remaster in which the appearance of the classic mafia ii from 2010 has been slightly improved
Jan 5, 2022This is one of my favourite stories in gane in character drama, the gun paly is good and hefty and driving is good and it's fun to driveThis is one of my favourite stories in gane in character drama, the gun paly is good and hefty and driving is good and it's fun to drive between the fourth and fifth cars , I think their story is one of the best in the Sandbox genre and you will feel some thing even if the main character and Joe are kind of awful people. I love the game enough to get a platinum trophy even if it is completely tedious and took me 4 hours to get all wanted posters… Expand
Apr 2, 2021This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Finalky i gave this game a chance and it was totally worth it for me. As an older gamer since the 90s(34 yrs), I found the game incredibly nostalgic. It reminds me of when games used to take story writing and pacing very seriously. What makes game worth it -The characters are interesting
-Attention to little details
-Very nice to hve a game take driving in a city seriously
Other things I liked
-Throwback from post WW2
-Collecting Pictures of real-life HOT models from the 50s almost naked
What could potentially ruin it for you
-The controls are unresponsive and laggy
-Very low fps -Gamebreaking bugs(too many to list... but aiming and shooting is a nightmare in this game+ numerous story missions unfinishable and had to find exploits to go around them).
-You might not finish the game due to bugs.
-Game is a little too long
-Too much driving back home to sleep after each mission
-Atrocious shooting system: There is only one way to play this game: duck behind covers and wait 3 mins for each enemy to pop out so you can shoot them. Made the game a chore
-Theres like only 3 the of weapon in the game
-Too many cop cars. Seriously, you wont turn a corner without one driving past you
-Horrifying checkpoint system(too few to make up for dying due to bugs. You will start over and over...
Conclusion: ONLY get the game if
-If you ADORE games with good story telling (pacing, narrative, meaningfulness)
-You arent the type to rage quit due to EXTREMELY annoying bugs that will get you killed constantly
-You are a fanatic of the italian Mafia… Expand
Aug 8, 2020Bugs Bugs Bugs Bugs Buena historia
Bugs Bugs Bugs Bugs Bugs
May 26, 2021This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not very happy with this Definitive edition, the original is a 10/10, but this one... Is a **** disaster, I'm very angry, why, because when I was in the mission to save Leo but what I got here, it was absolutely disgraceful, I did that multiple times but when I found out, I'm not the only one who has **** problems, this edition is one of the worst games of my life, I saw many glitches and I will not playing this game ever again, if there's another one of crappy editions then I cannot trust this at all, the original doesn't get any better because it was one of fantastic games, but this edition... It's a total disaster… Expand
May 27, 2020So called "definitive" edition on PS4 is literally the worst place to play this decade old game. Buy the game of the year version of theSo called "definitive" edition on PS4 is literally the worst place to play this decade old game. Buy the game of the year version of the original release for PS3, 360, or Steam, avoid this remaster unless it's literally the only way you can play. Mafia 2 is one of the best games of it's generation and a love letter to fans of classic crime stories like the Godfather and the films of Martin Scorsese, but this version is embarrassing. On my game the "Saving..." indicator in the top left corner literally never left the game, no matter if I was on the main menu, DLC stories, or after having reset the game. Plenty of other game breaking bugs too, mostly scripting stuff. The dialogue in cutscenes only plays in your left earphone if using headphones of any sort, and this 10 year old PS3 game on PS4 is a ridiculous 52 GB, making it even bigger than it's sequel, Mafia 3, a four year old PS4 game that even got a similar "remaster" treatment, and lastly, the technical performance of the game isn't even better than the original PS3 release, with frequent pop-in and a bad framerate. If Mafia 2 interests you, definitely play it, but only buy this version unless it's the only way to do so. Fingers crossed the Mafia 1 remake is handled with the care it deserves, unlike this.… Expand
Nov 12, 2020Note: Review for the BASE PS4 only.
I have been a big fan of the original Mafia game back in 2001 and the original release of Mafia 2, INote: Review for the BASE PS4 only.
I have been a big fan of the original Mafia game back in 2001 and the original release of Mafia 2, I absolutely love both games for their story, setting and (for their time) fun shooting mechanics. So this is not a review for the game itself, for which I would give a solid 8/10. This is a review concerning the "efforts" or lack of put into this so called "definitive edition". To make it quick, here is a list of my problems:
- Framerate: I just can't believe how poorly optimized this game is. EVERY time you are out driving in the open world (which you do a lot) the framerate can drop TO THE SINGLE DIGITS! This happens for some reason every time you make a turn, and quite frequently when just driving down a straight road. This is just unacceptable and just straight laziness on the devs side.
- Visual bugs: So, while I can forgive the pop in at distance (which is very predominant in this game), the visual glitches do bother me a lot. When you enter the second part of the game, summer season, you get this constant glitch where building, streets or just chunks of the screen wont load, and instead you get for a few seconds this black/purple/green fillings, it just breaks the immersion.
- Sound: This is a big WTF. I have a Yamaha Dolby Atmos receiver and I love playing all my games with surround sound...until this game. First of all, EVERY cutscene in this game is IN MONO with a horrible sound quality that raises the volume so loud that me speakers nearly exploded, just horrible. In-game sound is also just horribly mixed. The gun sounds are very underpowered, same with the FX sounds and sometimes is just hard to listen to the dialogue. Again, unacceptable.
- Sound bugs: Yes, the sound also glitches in this game. Tracks from cutscenes sometimes keep looping in the game, and the only way to make them disappear is to get into a car and turn the radio on.
So there you have it, it's just an unfinished, unacceptable product that comes out as a quick cash grab for the studio.
Don't buy this.… Expand
- (0 views)