4.4

1. Apr 16, 2019
    Feels like they bought a unreal engine 4 map design and added some one piece character on top of it..
    No voice acting, stiff and shallow gameplay and a high cost price for the game.. no no no, it's like it was made by people who don't even play video games.
  2. Mar 26, 2019
    This is not a AAA title. It is however fun to play.
    Openworld to explore isn't huge or over populated but it somehow works perfectly.
    Do not let the review scores scare you off if this is your type of game. I have never followed the series but the story was easy to follow for a new comer. I can see there is a fair amount of lore for the hardcore fans but didn't affect my immersion into
    This is not a AAA title. It is however fun to play.
    Do not let the review scores scare you off if this is your type of game.
    I have never followed the series but the story was easy to follow for a new comer. I can see there is a fair amount of lore for the hardcore fans but didn't affect my immersion into the plotline. English subtitles.

If you like openworld games its worth a try.
  3. Apr 2, 2019
    This game is a good idea but had poor execution. Giving fans an open world One Piece game is a great idea but the open world feels so lifeless and empty that it is kind of boring. I wish they would have given us a way to sail to other islands by using the Thousand Sunny and letting us have ship combat with navy or other pirate ships.

The missions and combat are really repetitive and the

The missions and combat are really repetitive and the enemy AI doesn't seem to do much but take their beatings, which consisted of me just mashing 1 button.

The bosses don't fare any better as they really require no strategy other than block their attacks, then counter with your own, repeat steps til the boss' health is depleted.

Luffy's crew are reduced to a support cast that either offer cooking or crafting and the rest are either seen just standing around or in cutscenes. They are not playable or able to join you on any of your missions.

The only pros I can think of are the way you travel the map is fun, the skill tree is a good way to reward progress, and the story is really interesting. This is a half decent One Piece game but needed some more polishing before release.
  4. Mar 15, 2019
    Not good for a One Piece game. And the open world is just lifeless and didn't look like from One Piece world. This game is just a generic open world with a title One Piece in it.
  5. Mar 18, 2019
    While the game is fun as a fan, the game is definitely lacking in some areas. Some issues I've found are:
    1) The camera is a bit too close. For an open world game, the camera should be moved back just a little bit or give the ability to move the camera closer/farther
    2) Combat is lacking. The fighting mechanics are clunky and the dodging is pretty bad. When going up against a guy with a machine gun, dodging is useless in the beginning because you get sort of "stunned" which results in you getting stuck in a flurry of bullets that drain your health bar like crazy. There's no way out of that attack once it hits.
    3) Movement is bad. You can't turn Luffy slightly to the left or right without him taking 2 steps. This makes getting in front of things you interact with, like treasure chests, difficult.
    4) It's advised you need to sneak around in some areas but Luffy doesn't sneak and you can't do anything like make him crouch to sneak so it's almost pointless.
    5) if there is anything you have to take a longer time to interact with, like treasure chests and certain doors, the button you need to hold takes too long. It takes a good 5-6 seconds to complete the interaction when it should be less.

It's still fun to run around as Luffy exploring the world, but this is not a game that I'd go back to once it's completed.
  6. Mar 16, 2019
    It's a good game, just not a good One Piece game.
    Think of it as the anime equivalent of 'Banjokazooie Nuts&Bolts', without the pedigree it'd be fine but the name makes fans expect something good-- and fans are hardest to please.
  7. Aug 26, 2020
    The game has flaws. No doubt about it. If you’re coming into this game thinking it’d be perfect (no idea why you would), then you’d be severely disappointed. With that aside, One Piece World Seeker is a game that can be thoroughly enjoyed by anyone, but specially so by the fans of the series.

I came into this game after hearing a few people tell me about how “bad” it is and I am glad to not have the same opinion as said people. You start the journey with Luffy, the main character, and also my favorite. Why you would expect to play as other characters, I have no idea. How many open world RPG games allow you to play with anyone besides the designated main character/avatar? Yet somehow this is a “valid” complaint. Luffy being the only playable character makes perfect sense. The game wouldn’t really work otherwise, from a gameplay and story perspective. This isn’t the Unlimited series where you carry the entire crew with you. A lot of the functions are things only Luffy can do. The entire skill tree and story are based around Luffy. Allowing you to play with anyone else would require an overhaul of the entire game, which is why it was kept to DLC.

The graphics are gorgeous. The game makes good use of the PS4 Pro’s capabilities and HDR visuals. A “Photo Mode” in the Start Menu gives you access to free camera where you can even edit your screenshots and make the shots look even better.

The story is good. It isn’t going to win any awards, but it’s good nonetheless and fits the One Piece world perfectly. Although if you are very familiar with the series, you would find some strange inconsistencies. Such as Luffy’s bounty being quoted as both “100 million” and “500 million” during several parts of the game, when in reality, Luffy’s bounty at this point in the story is “1.5 billion”, so that didn’t make any sense. But if you can look past that, you’ll be alright.

There will be many things you won’t be able to do until you have certain skills. Gear 4 which allows you to fly (sort of) for a limited time, doesn’t come until about half way through the game. But the more skills you get along the way, the more fun you’ll have. You can hover from building to building using UFO, make everyone around you faint/stun during fights, fly over to Sky Islands, among lots of other things.

The original characters are good. They’re designed by the creator himself after all. Their personality isn’t exactly the most original in the series, but they’re good. The main antagonist for example has a really good motive for doing what he’s doing and chances are you’ll enjoy it more as it goes.
    My biggest issue with the game is the lack of voice acting outside the cutscenes. This is quite annoying for me and strikes me as “lazy”. But hey, if a big budge big shot top name AAA like Zelda Breath of the Wild can get away with nonsense like that, I don’t see why we should be so hard on this anime game.

Other issues include: Getting a mount at the very end of the game – why? These things are a LOT more useful earlier in the game, not when you’ve already done everything there is to do.

People who complain about the game being “empty” need to realise that it is no more empty than the majority of open/semi open world games out there. If you have every square foot of your game’s world filled with NPCs and enemies, you’re going to run at 4-8 FPS on a PS4 Pro or XboneX. At least, that is if you do not cut the size down by 85% and lower the textures to 480-720p. It seems as if some people thought this was The Witcher 3 with One Piece characters. The game is no emptier and more barren than every Elder Scroll and Fallout game ever made and is more populated than DBZ Kakarot and even Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild.

Again, the game isn’t amazing, and it has many flaws. But these games are often fun enough to be worth a deep sale. $20 for this is great deal. However, being honest, it is trendy to smear faces all over stuff when others are doing it and many people who hate on this game either don’t own it or played 5 minutes of it and decided they would hate it. Not defending the game’s flaws, but complaints are often just wrong (e.g. “combat is repetitive”, you know, just like Dark Souls and Sekiro).

All in all, if you’re not an edgelord who plays games to ignore the good and just focus on shortcomings, I’d recommend giving the game a try if you can find it on sale, specially if you’re a One Piece fun. Who knows, you might enjoy it like I did.

7/10. Platinum’d and fully completed on 27/08/2020.

-Shonendo
  8. Nov 4, 2019
    The oddest mix of everything resulting in... something?

The oddest mix of everything resulting in... something?

It's very playable, very approachable, earning and developing upgrades feels rewarding. It's the right step for One Piece at least, even if the execution overall feels like it misses. Fans of the franchise will still find things to enjoy, whether it be the character interactions or the competent (but not great either) controls of Luffy.

While certainly not a "must buy", any fan of the franchise should pick it up on a sale or borrow.
  9. Mar 4, 2020
    I had low expectations going in but this turned out to be a surprisingly fun game. The art style is really quite excellent and looks very impressive at times. I also found traversal was a lot of fun particularly as I upgraded Luffy. Certain upgrades allow him to propel himself at greater distances and they make him less noticeable to enemies so he no longer gets sniped out of the air.I had low expectations going in but this turned out to be a surprisingly fun game. The art style is really quite excellent and looks very impressive at times. I also found traversal was a lot of fun particularly as I upgraded Luffy. Certain upgrades allow him to propel himself at greater distances and they make him less noticeable to enemies so he no longer gets sniped out of the air. There are also some pretty fun moves you can unlock.
    The combat is a mixed bag, later enemies tend to warp around you so it can be difficult to hit them so fights become a bit annoying. Overall it was pretty fun though.
    The island looks great but it is a bit lifeless. You won't see people working in the farms or going to the shops. You'll just see a few npcs standing around so it's not exactly immersive in that sense.
    Mission design is pretty simple too. Go to the place and find someone or go to the place and beat the enemies. Boss fights with notable characters help break this up though and work as great fan service.
    It's really awesome having the japanese voice there. It really added a lot of charm to the story and characters like brook had me laughing quite a few times. Unfortunately they just aren't in the game all that much.
    The story was written by Oda and it's pretty good. It feels like a one piece movie at some points but it's broken up with some repetitive missions though.
    Overall this is a solid game for one piece fans, provided you have your expectations in check and you don't pay full price. 30 dollars is pretty good, but if you see it for 20 in the future that would be a great deal in my opinion.
    It's honestly nice to get a game which looks so good and that isn't another warriors game or an arena fighter. The market is getting pretty crowded with those two game types.
  10. Jul 14, 2020
    One Piece World Seeker
    ...................................................
  11. Apr 11, 2020
    Da es das beste one Piece Spiel bisher war, immerhin 6 Punkte. Bei den Rest würde ich eher sagen, kein muss. Leider viel nur hin und her rennerei, die Story ist trotz von Oda mir nicht im Gedächtnis geblieben

Mixed or average reviews - based on 46 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 30, 2019
    One Piece: World Seeker is lacking in so many areas. It may be lovely to look at, but an overall shallow and repetitive experience take away any semblance of joy fans are likely to find.
  2. Apr 27, 2019
    Far from being a bad game, One Piece: World Seeker sticks to the fundamentals but never tries to transcend them. Devoid of originality, the title looks like a basic open world on which have been grafted characters from the manga. The title clearly lacks ideas to renew the gameplay, coupled with an overall lack of soul, the result crumbles against the competition.
  3. Apr 12, 2019
    One Piece is an anime/manga franchise that deserves a game that would blow everyone's mind. That's why when you get a mediocre title, it hurts so bad. Enjoyable storyline, graphics and open world, simply were not enough to turn this disappointment into an experience worth a recommendation. But if you are not a demanding player, there are a few things you could still like here.