8.5

1. Nov 21, 2014
    In terms of content, Project Diva F 2nd (PDF2) inherits the principle of Project Diva Extend (PSP), that is to say half new songs, the other half being songs taken from previous episodes. In the case of PDF2, those ones come from the PSP games Project Diva 2nd and Project Diva Extend. Before complaining about rehashing, bear this in mind : while Project Diva Extend was merely transferringIn terms of content, Project Diva F 2nd (PDF2) inherits the principle of Project Diva Extend (PSP), that is to say half new songs, the other half being songs taken from previous episodes. In the case of PDF2, those ones come from the PSP games Project Diva 2nd and Project Diva Extend. Before complaining about rehashing, bear this in mind : while Project Diva Extend was merely transferring songs from Project Diva 2nd, PDF2 remakes them from scratch. Two-faced Lovers, Romio & Cinderella or Luka Luka Night Fever to mention a few, have been completely remades and not just remastered : choreographies have been changed in several aspects, especially by adding a finale like it was introduced in Diva F. No only this, but the incredible 3D engine of the «F» series transforms the hits of the previous generation and the astonishing graphics further enhanced from Diva F (PDF2 looks quite sharper) make it a whole new experience.

As for the new songs, I found the list pretty uneven compared to Diva F which was a true concentration of musical masterpieces. Many have slow rythm or not enough intensity for my tastes. But whatever, that’s just me and I did find a few exhilarating compositions like Yubikiri, Ni Soku Hôko, Envy Cat Walk, Meteo 2nd Dimension Fever and Akatsuki Arrival, let alone the fantastic design and direction that mix elegance and cuteness in wonderful fashion.

You’ll of course also get a new range of nice modules (=costumes) with the possibility to import the ones you already have in Diva F. In pure aesthetics, you have now an option to put a skin on your progression bar. While I think it takes too much room on the screen, some may please you. Note that if you want more, Sega has planned a looong DLC season to destroy your savings with seriously exciting stuff : the Japanese version already got Change Me, Kochi Muite Baby, Yellow and Sekiranun Graffiti, among others. Remember that if you have the extra character DLC for Diva F, you can get it free for PDF2 as it’s cross-buy.

The most striking thing about gameplay is that the game became A LOT harder. If like me you’d come to master progressively the Hard mode without making wonders in Extreme, drop by the chemist’s to get some anxiolytics because you will suffer like hell. Narisumashi Ganga and 2nd Dimension Fever are inhumane, Envy Cat Walk drove me mad. It’s my concern with PDF2 : the Normal mode is still a bit too easy for returning fans, but Hard mode is discouraging sometimes.

Generally speaking, the challenge has been beefed up in several ways. Remember the yellow stars for which you just had to scratch the screen continuously? That’s over, Jim! From now on, you’ll have to follow the pace. Technical zones have become a lot more technical, those bonus points are no longer offered like they used to be (Huh, God Tier Tune?). This episodeintroduces some innovations in gameplay, actually new types of stars. There’s the «big» star which is cleared by scratching the screen in two different locations, and the «linked» stars, which are normal stars with more bonus

All the side content is still there and has improved. The Diva Room, the now famous dating sim is more lively than in the previous game : the number of events have doubled, they’re triggered more often, yo have new mini-games and characters show a lot more actions/reactions. Camera angles have been nerfed a lot though, especially in close-up, which is definitely unwelcomed. All the friend level parameters have been tweaked to allow a more precise progression. The much sharper graphics add greatly to the enjoyment of this Diva Room 2.0, which more than ever is a game in itself.

The game comes with a dozen of new AR lives, save that now you no longer need the AR markers to organize your private performances!

Despite the small hiccups in gameplay and balance, the immense delight is still the same. Project Diva F 2nd is pure and immediate joy until the end. That is, if you can see an end to a game you never really stop playing.
  2. Dec 19, 2014
    It's a bit tougher than the previous game in the series.. but boy is it great. :)
    Songs are plentiful, and have a good amount of great classics as well as new tunes to add.
    If you like rhythm games, and are up for a challenge.. give it a try! (I'd recommend watching some gameplay first, if you aren't already familiar with Miku and the crew.. I like 'em a lot, but I'm sure it's not for

If you like rhythm games, and are up for a challenge.. give it a try!
    (I'd recommend watching some gameplay first, if you aren't already familiar with Miku and the crew.. I like 'em a lot, but I'm sure it's not for everyone.) :)

~~
  3. Dec 7, 2014
    to keep this short
    "This is one of the best rhythm game you could get in the PS Vita period."
    ... if you are ok with the Japanese themed character

the only downside I had is that the game is too hard compared to the last game "Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f"
  4. Jan 3, 2015
    I have been a fan of rhythm games for a long time and have been looking for a new Vita game to add to my small collection, my curiosity about the Vocaloid craze made Project Diva F 2nd a logical choice.

I don't think of myself as being a J-pop fan but almost all of the tracks on the game are great to listen to and are accompanied by a nice music video game featuring the song's singer(s). The gameplay itself is easy to learn but hard to master, with the Vita's D-pad, shape buttons and touch pad being used as the default options (which can be customised in options menu). The game does not have a fixed note chart so to speak, with symbols to match flying all across the screen, forcing you to follow the screen carefully. This can be problematic in the game's faster moments as the speed of the notes can make them difficult to track against the background videos, but I eventually developed an eye for the notes that nullified the problem.

What impressed me most about this game though was the incredible amount of customisation options available, from the game's control layout, to the HUD and the outfits of the Vocaloids themselves (my personal favourite is Miku's magician outfit). This is backed up by a simulation-style mode that involves decorating the rooms of the various characters (six in total) with an impessive catalogue of furnishing that can purchased using points earned by playing the rhythm game, as well as a cute minigame that utilises the touch screen to let you get up close with all of the characters.

My only gripe with the game is its frequent loading screens, a great deal of content is included in project Diva F 2nd but you can guarantee that there's a loading screen or two between you and it. The load times are not lengthy but the frequency of the screens was occasionally a source of frustration for me. Thankfully, the loading screens are coupled with a large number of character art images to enjoy, some of which I even saved to use as wallpapers for my Vita.

Overall, Project Diva F 2nd is a great game for fans of rhythm games, the Vocaloid series or anyone else looking for something to play on the Vita.
  5. Aug 10, 2015
    Simply put, it's one of the best rhythm games out there today. I for one like Vocaloids, but while most of the songs are pretty catchy, there are a few oddballs in there. This keeps it from getting a 10 from me, but otherwise, it's a great game and it's also the hardest rhythm game I have ever played. So if you are looking for a challenge, I suggest you try it.
  6. Jan 24, 2015
    The thing is, whilst I love Project Diva f 2nd (probably more than any western 25 year old male should), it is the kind of game that doesn't appeal to everyone. If you're a fan of Japanese music or rhythm games, then this is a no brainer, but if you're on the fence or unsure about it, I'd urge you to at least download the demo from the PSN store and see what you think. If you're fortunateThe thing is, whilst I love Project Diva f 2nd (probably more than any western 25 year old male should), it is the kind of game that doesn't appeal to everyone. If you're a fan of Japanese music or rhythm games, then this is a no brainer, but if you're on the fence or unsure about it, I'd urge you to at least download the demo from the PSN store and see what you think. If you're fortunate enough to have both a PS3 and PSVita and are unsure as to which version to get, personally I'd go for the Vita one as the game translates perfectly to a portable console and looks every bit as beautiful on the smaller screen - and there's always Playstation TV if you then fancy taking it to the big screen (you can set the Vita to use the analogue sticks for stars too). That said, I was such a fan, that I picked up the PS3 version too (despite also having PSTV) purely to cross-save and watch the videos on a larger HD screen. Expand
  7. Nov 26, 2015
    I didn't know what I was getting into, this game was pretty outside my comfort zone, but damn....Japanese rhythm game....this game is fun as hell. the music is catchy and characters are super adorable. not to mention the game looks the part, and its probably the best looking game of the vita. collecting trinkets, costumes and gifts for your pop stars is pretty addicting....I'm not even anI didn't know what I was getting into, this game was pretty outside my comfort zone, but damn....Japanese rhythm game....this game is fun as hell. the music is catchy and characters are super adorable. not to mention the game looks the part, and its probably the best looking game of the vita. collecting trinkets, costumes and gifts for your pop stars is pretty addicting....I'm not even an active listener of jpop, but this game pushes all the right buttons and its just plain fun if a bit challenging to start off with. Expand
  8. Sep 25, 2015
    As usual, SEGA delivers a wonderful rythm game experience.
    Unfortunately, this sequel has one big and unforgivable flaw: DLCs.
    If you're new to the license, never mind, enjoy your 40€ to your heart content. But if you're a die hard fan like me, prepare to open your wallet for 25€ more: almost all the good classic songs are there, no more, no less. It's the usual deal, the game
    As usual, SEGA delivers a wonderful rythm game experience.
    Unfortunately, this sequel has one big and unforgivable flaw: DLCs.

If you're new to the license, never mind, enjoy your 40€ to your heart content.

It's the usual deal, the game isn't finished, pay for it.
    In the end, will you give 65€ for ONE portable game ? Damn, it's still good stuff...

1. Jan 28, 2015
    A good example of the definition of a sequel. It delivers and fulfills everything it promises, while expanding the universe of the vocaloid. Fans will be amazed by the amount of costumes and the opportunity to interact with their favourite idols.
  2. Jan 12, 2015
    The game offering is quite generous, not only when thinking about the Hatsune Miku fans, but also when it comes to rhythm game enthusiasts who are always looking for a new challenge. The game seamlessly takes newcomers through the J-Pop and vocaloid world, while franchise veterans will enjoy this candy store full of unlockable content, rewards and songs that they can enjoy for days on end on YouTube channels.
  3. Dec 29, 2014
    Project DIVA F 2nd takes the previous game and builds upon it in almost every way, providing an increased song list, improved presentation and new features such as English subtitles - demonstrating a real passion for the source material. The game can justifiably be considered alongside the all-time great rhythm games.