8.8

1. May 14, 2011
    My first Final Fantasy was Final Fantasy XII so I'm quite a newcomer to the series. Since then I've played VII, VIII, XIII, III, and IV. Now before venturing into this game I was well aware that many thought this game only appealed to fans from long ago. In my experience however I've gotten quite addicted to it. I'm not really sure what it is about this game but other than the art much ofMy first Final Fantasy was Final Fantasy XII so I'm quite a newcomer to the series. Since then I've played VII, VIII, XIII, III, and IV. Now before venturing into this game I was well aware that many thought this game only appealed to fans from long ago. In my experience however I've gotten quite addicted to it. I'm not really sure what it is about this game but other than the art much of this game is far too old. First off, the gameplay is not only extremely simple, but extremely easy. Much of your commands will involve holding down circle until one of your team mates are low on health, which will take a while. There are also quite a lot of random encounters, which really bugged me at first but I got used to them fairly quickly. You should also understand that there is no story in this game, you will relate with none of the characters and most of your quests are about killing someone to save someone or fetching something to do something. Probably my biggest criticism about this game is that is does nothing to help guide you to your objectives. The game's simplicity is perfect for playing on a bus or in a line but because of the extremely ambiguous goals, you'll often find yourself looking up what to do on a strategy guide. That being said I really do like the retro and simple feel of the game as well as the amazing art but it could have been much more fun with an objective marker. Expand
  2. Blighty76
    Aug 30, 2009
    This is a fantastic update of the classic RPG which has been lovingly reskinned for the PSP. It's perfect for handheld gaming; I played it in snippets over 3 weeks, grabbing an hour or two a day, with 25 hours played at completion. For an old crock like me this is a wonderful trip down memory lane.
  3. AdamLang
    Apr 6, 2009
    A lot of the lower scores seem to have a common statement which points to the fact that there are older ports of these games (mostly noted for the GBA). There's a reason why there are continuous ports of these games. A game that created the basis of RPGs (which disappeared within the PS2 era) for a portable gaming handheld is awesome.
  4. Matt
    Aug 2, 2007
    I feel this this game is getting a bad rap. This is without a doubt the best remake of any Final Fantasy ever. Stunning visuals, a new dungeon and better music make this game a must play for RPG enthusiast's. Other than that it is very similar to the original, as you probably expect. If your a new comer to the series or if you could just go for some classic FF you will not be disappointed.
  5. EricB.
    Sep 22, 2007
    This is really an amazing game. If you haven't played this game before, it's an incredible experience.
  6. Jul 21, 2017
    I was hoping to experience the game that started the FF franchise, with some modern day conveniences added in. But with the updated graphics and audio, I kind of felt cheated out of that. This made its - by today's standards - generic, grindy gameplay harder to forgive. With characters that you name yourself, and that never speak, the game lacks personality. The bonus dungeon feels awfullyI was hoping to experience the game that started the FF franchise, with some modern day conveniences added in. But with the updated graphics and audio, I kind of felt cheated out of that. This made its - by today's standards - generic, grindy gameplay harder to forgive. With characters that you name yourself, and that never speak, the game lacks personality. The bonus dungeon feels awfully contrived and is the least enjoyable part of the game. Subjective, I know, but this really isn't the game that started it all. Expand
  7. Apr 28, 2013
    I never cared for the original Final Fantasy in any of its previous incarnations, but I recently gave the PSP port a shot and I am so glad I did. This is the definitive version of the game, with design upgrades that make it quite nice to look at and extra dungeons that give the player something challenging to attempt. The story and gameplay works all the same, with just some basic tweaksI never cared for the original Final Fantasy in any of its previous incarnations, but I recently gave the PSP port a shot and I am so glad I did. This is the definitive version of the game, with design upgrades that make it quite nice to look at and extra dungeons that give the player something challenging to attempt. The story and gameplay works all the same, with just some basic tweaks such as set magic usages being replaced by the now commonplace MP system (which is a major improvement) and some names being adjusted due to latter entries in the series creating more popular names (ie: Life is now Phoenix Down, Imps are now Goblins, Ice is now Blizzard, Orbs are now Crystals, etc). This is a must play for any RPG fan and a must own for any Final Fantasy fans. Just be prepared to wander around aimlessly searching for hints as to what you're supposed to do next, as you often have to fetch a hidden item from some dungeon or town in order to be able to progress to the next section of the game. Great game though, and a very fun/challenging way to kill 20-25 hours. Expand
  8. Nov 4, 2010
    I began my goal of playing all Final Fantasy games through in order with, obviously, Final Fantasy I. I thought, might as well go with the newer PSP version and see how I like it. This game is fun, don't get me wrong, but it's outdated. Unfortunately, the fact that it's so archaic without real characters or a story make it feel like a chore in some instances. Not to mention the fact thatI began my goal of playing all Final Fantasy games through in order with, obviously, Final Fantasy I. I thought, might as well go with the newer PSP version and see how I like it. This game is fun, don't get me wrong, but it's outdated. Unfortunately, the fact that it's so archaic without real characters or a story make it feel like a chore in some instances. Not to mention the fact that the random fights pop of much more frequently here than they do in the sequels. It's a difficult game, not for those who're planning on taking an RPG lightly. With this said, I do recommend it to those of you who are interested in seeking out the roots to a noteworthy series of games, or those of you who've played the original version, which I haven't, so I can't really tell you what's all been improved upon and changed. Expand
  9. Oct 11, 2013
    Based on the original where the "Final" fantasy sprouted, it is an update/remaster of the classic NES RPG.

Story: During the time the original Final Fantasy was released there wasn't much narrative and story in most games and this still holds true to this remaster, while there is a story present, namely: the four Heroes of Light trying to restore elemental balance to the world, it is

Story:
    During the time the original Final Fantasy was released there wasn't much narrative and story in most games and this still holds true to this remaster, while there is a story present, namely: the four Heroes of Light trying to restore elemental balance to the world, it is spread far and wide, usually leaving you searching for clues on where to go next, this didn't bother me, but people less patient as myself might be offset by this approach of story progression.

Gameplay:
    This is where the game shines, while simplistic compared to current generation FF's, it is by no means bad, battles go well paced and you're always trying to get to the next town to increase your equipment or learn new white/black spells, the (over)world is well (re-)made with some extra dungeon's to boot, each holding a few new bosses from other Final Fantasy games.

Graphics:
    It holds it's top-down view but has a tremendous graphical overhaul compared to the original NES version, and a far more crispier look then the GBA update, animations are smooth, spell effects are nice and the updated sprites for party members and monsters alike are everything you would expect.

Music:
    Another high point, the songs are remastered and sound a whole lot better, with the new dungeons and bosses also comes new music from the games those bosses are from, I definitely like the improved Mount Gulg theme.

All in all, Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition is an overhaul with minimal changes to story and gameplay but optimal changes to graphics and music. If you can overlook the simplistic battle system in this day and age then it is the best version Final Fantasy I has to offer...
  10. AB
    Jul 8, 2007
    Without a doubt, the original Final Fantasy is a true classic; sadly, the Anniversary remake does not update the gameplay. Instead, by making only graphical and auditory changes, it allows this aged masterpiece to rust rather than shine.
  11. Oct 5, 2011
    Final Fantasy 1 for the NES is one of my alltime favorite games. I cut my teeth on the original as a young teen and have played several remakes. I picked up the PSP Anniversary edition on sale while I was browsing a shop thinking what the heck. I was amazed at how clean and fresh the graphics are, the sound and music are great. The additional content is also a bonus, but I haven't had aFinal Fantasy 1 for the NES is one of my alltime favorite games. I cut my teeth on the original as a young teen and have played several remakes. I picked up the PSP Anniversary edition on sale while I was browsing a shop thinking what the heck. I was amazed at how clean and fresh the graphics are, the sound and music are great. The additional content is also a bonus, but I haven't had a chance to explore it yet. My only complaint is the removal of the 4000g Silver Sword that you could buy once you got the ship. Other than that I'd highly recommend this to anyone who loves a solid classic RPG with present day graphics. This is without a doubt the best remake of FF1 available, if you have a PSP don't pass this up. Expand
  12. Oct 10, 2012
    If you haven't played Final Fantasy 1, this is your best chance as this is the best version out there. With a improved appealing appearance and design, incredible music, fantastic gameplay battle system and a whole new bunch of extras never seen before, this is the game you must get. Whether you are a old FF fan who played Dawn of Souls/Origins/Original or haven't played FF1 or a new fan,If you haven't played Final Fantasy 1, this is your best chance as this is the best version out there. With a improved appealing appearance and design, incredible music, fantastic gameplay battle system and a whole new bunch of extras never seen before, this is the game you must get. Whether you are a old FF fan who played Dawn of Souls/Origins/Original or haven't played FF1 or a new fan, this game is worth every single coin. Expand
  13. Apr 2, 2014
    I'm not really sure if I understand the negativity that this game is receiving. While this game is indeed intensely retro, the gameplay has been greatly tweaked (now we have MP - a MUCH needed addition), the graphics have been lovingly enhanced from the PSX version, and the music, like the PSX version, has been wonderfully reimainged, unlike other Final Fnatasy ports, where the music isI'm not really sure if I understand the negativity that this game is receiving. While this game is indeed intensely retro, the gameplay has been greatly tweaked (now we have MP - a MUCH needed addition), the graphics have been lovingly enhanced from the PSX version, and the music, like the PSX version, has been wonderfully reimainged, unlike other Final Fnatasy ports, where the music is 'new' but largely identical. The story in its elements is still good in a fairy-tale type of way, although as a cohesive whole, the story is quite weak, admittedly. While Final Fantasy, at least starting with part IV (II US), played out more like a novel or a movie, this original entry plays out more like a TV series or collection of fables, but these episodes or short stories are sometimes interesting. Lastly, in addition to the new MP system for magic, by adding Dash abilities, quicker leveling and removing some lackluster battle system elements allows this game to play out a lot faster than originally; I think you could probably beat the game in about half the time despite accomplishing just as much. Expand
  14. Dec 29, 2018
    Final Fantasy for the PSP is a remake of the classic RPG that first appeared on the Nintendo Entertainment System.

It features updated graphics that look wonderful, a slightly lower difficulty, a bestiary and more. It all sounds wonderful, doesn't it? Well, that's before you start to notice the downgrades in the game that for whatever reason the developer decided to put in. To

To begin with, the game normally feels easier than the tough as nails NES game, but there's theres weird spikes in difficulty that doesn't really seem to make sense. You'll still spend a lot of time grinding in the game and dying.

Another issue I have is they still haven't fixed the encounter rates, they are still really frustrating and I'm unsure why they didn't do anything about that.

Yet another issue is, there's been item changes, name changes, dialog changes, some stores don't sell what they used to, some spells no longer work with some classes, that sort of thing. You won't be able to use any other guide besides the PSP one, because none of the other guides are going to be accurate.

I honestly don't know why they did it to be honest. Maybe they thought they were balacing out the game, but in reality they may have actually made it more difficult in some sections than it should have been by screwing with these things.

Another small complaint I have is that, for whatever reason they made it so you had to press O + Select to bring up the world map. With the NES this was understandable, they only have a couple of buttons. With the PSP they had more than enough control realestate to just assign a standard button, or even have the option in the game's menu, but now, they kept with the hidden world map thing. Stupid.

Honestly, at the end of the day, there ARE better versions of this game out there. This isn't a bad game by any means, but there was some uneeded changes forced on the game and it's annoying.
  15. May 23, 2013
    Being a Final Fantasy fan since the early days of my childhood, coming back to the first Final Fantasy in an anniversary form was a great joy. I've played the Origins version on the first Playstation and I loved it.
    Now coming to a remake that is actually a whole re-imagining of the original. Not only was I swept off my feet from the new enhanced graphics, but the cut scenes, the music, and the new magic system have greatly made a difference to how I felt about this remake. It's not only just a remake though, there are new dungeons, new items and equipment, and some really interesting bosses and enemies that have made their way from other Final Fantasy titles. Most notably are the new dungeons, and enemies that accompany them. The magic system has been revamped for the newer generation, it resembles the newer Final Fantasies using Magic Points instead of a fixed amount of spells. New items such as Ethers, Phoenix Downs and Elixirs are introduced, making the game seem familiar to new players not used to the original game, but also makes the game a lot more easier to play compared to the original. The characters and towns are beautiful and well detailed, with added special effects on field screens and over world screen. The battles are well done, enemies now look awesome compared to older versions, also with great looking spells and backgrounds, making the game seamlessly go from battle to field screen. Most Final Fantasy fans will remember the long hours of grinding to level up for a certain dungeon, it is essentially the same as the original but now with more levels to earn. This along with the new items, dungeons and bosses, creates an experience that resembles the famous Final Fantasy that everybody knows and loves. Aside from the main quest are the dungeons that really brings challenge and a few new but familiar places. (FF3 fans will be surprised to see the 8-bit dungeon remade.) The bosses that come with them are absolutely amazing to battle, some being enemies from other FF titles, and new versions of classic enemies are scattered throughout all the new dungeons. Although there are some new places to explore, none of them really create any new stories or plot lines, but they do give you some really awesome treasure. Just like the versions before it, Final Fantasy is a game where exploring and talking to townsfolk are the only ways to find out what to do next, so unless you have beaten this before, actually talk to the people in the game, or you have a guide, you'll be stuck trying to figure out what to do next. The story in the game is simple and lacks the compelling edge of your your seat feeling, but overall it reminds you that a great game doesn't need full motion cut scenes or long dialogue to make you want to save the world. If you haven't played FF1 before, this would be a great way to start your journey down the Final Fantasy road. But fans of the first game would want to check this out as well, an amazing journey that has been revamped and puts you back in the shoes of the glory days, when Final Fantasy was brand new and exciting to play.
    Gameplay: 9/10 Graphics: 10/10 Audio: 10/10 Story: 9/10 One of the best Final Fantasies!
  16. Dec 6, 2014
    I played the original way back on the NES, and yes there are a lot of changes but the mechanics and storyline that made the game are still solid. Many may say this game is too this, or too that. But this is a piece of history that I recommend playing.
  17. Dec 16, 2019
    Un juego bastante revolucionario para su época, ya que junto con el primer DQ, crearon el genero J-RPG por turnos, o como mínimo, lo dieron a conocer. La historia tiene un giro bastante impresionante y en general es entretenida. No se puede decir mucho de los personajes ya que son mudos y no tienen un desarrollo de por sí, aunque creo que tampoco se le puede pedir más a un juego del 86. LaUn juego bastante revolucionario para su época, ya que junto con el primer DQ, crearon el genero J-RPG por turnos, o como mínimo, lo dieron a conocer. La historia tiene un giro bastante impresionante y en general es entretenida. No se puede decir mucho de los personajes ya que son mudos y no tienen un desarrollo de por sí, aunque creo que tampoco se le puede pedir más a un juego del 86. La banda sonora es bastante buena, aunque los temas que destacan son el del mundo abierto, el del combate final, el de batalla y el de las mazmorras,las cuales tienen un gran diseño e incitan a la exploración, aunque ya el mundo abierto da una sensación de libertad y exploración bastante grande. El sistema de combate es el más clásico, como no podia ser de otra manera en el juego original, sin embargo, la diferencia de clases invitan a la rejugabilidad, ya que habrá ciertas armas o hechizos que no podrás usar si no llevas a ciertos personajes. La dificultad tmb está bastante bien balanceada, y los graficos de este remake son bastante decentes. En general un muy buen juego, incluso con el paso de los años.

18. Jul 21, 2020
    I have alot of love for this game. Alot of it is fun, and I adore the aesthetic, but god damn you need to use a guide to get through alot of this. I gave into using a guide half way through and started getting overpowered. So I go to the final dungeon only to have it be a super blandly designed maze that is super grindy, with a end boss that is impossible to beat without an insaneI have alot of love for this game. Alot of it is fun, and I adore the aesthetic, but god damn you need to use a guide to get through alot of this. I gave into using a guide half way through and started getting overpowered. So I go to the final dungeon only to have it be a super blandly designed maze that is super grindy, with a end boss that is impossible to beat without an insane amount of grinding. When Dragon Quest games were updated for new platforms, they reduced the ridiculous grinding of the old days, no such treatment for Final Fantasy

The battle music also gets really old really fast.
  19. Jul 22, 2020
    es un videojuego de rol creado por Hironobu Sakaguchi, desarrollado y publicado en Japón por Square Co. en 1987; y publicado en Estados Unidos por Nintendo of America, Inc. en 1990. Es el primer juego de Square de la serie Final Fantasy. Originalmente lanzado para la consola Nintendo Entertainment System (también conocida como NES), Final Fantasy fue relanzado para varias consolas más y eses un videojuego de rol creado por Hironobu Sakaguchi, desarrollado y publicado en Japón por Square Co. en 1987; y publicado en Estados Unidos por Nintendo of America, Inc. en 1990. Es el primer juego de Square de la serie Final Fantasy. Originalmente lanzado para la consola Nintendo Entertainment System (también conocida como NES), Final Fantasy fue relanzado para varias consolas más y es frecuentemente incluido junto a Final Fantasy II en colecciones de juegos. La historia comienza con cuatro jóvenes llamados los Guerreros de la Luz, quienes llevan consigo uno de los cuatro cristales Expand
  20. Sep 16, 2020
    This is a great game, and one of the first games I've ever played. It doesn't have the best story, but where it's lacking there, it makes up for in its awesome gameplay and dungeons. The original was a great game, but the PSP adds some epic new bonus dungeons, and one of my favorite of all time, the Labyrinth of Time. The different debuffs you must choose from and the epic superboss at theThis is a great game, and one of the first games I've ever played. It doesn't have the best story, but where it's lacking there, it makes up for in its awesome gameplay and dungeons. The original was a great game, but the PSP adds some epic new bonus dungeons, and one of my favorite of all time, the Labyrinth of Time. The different debuffs you must choose from and the epic superboss at the end, I love it! The music is pretty good too, some of my favorites are Flying Fortress, Chaos Shrine, and the best of all, Final Battle. Overall, this is a great game but not as good as other entries in the FF series. Expand

#8 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2007
#16 Most Shared PSP Game of 2007

Mixed or average reviews - based on 34 Critic Reviews

1. Play Magazine
    My feelings are a lot less mixed about the fact that the Anniversary project is basically just a PSP post of "Dawn of Souls" with the two games sold separately. [June 2007, p.83]
    Gamers who are used to contemporary titles may find this one a little too simplistic and old for their tastes but if you can look beyond that, you'll be treated to an amazing rendition of a classic console RPG. [July 2007, p.86]
  3. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    Distressingly little effort went into crafting this anniversary package: Square Enix merely cobbled together aspects from the PS1 and GBA remakes, touched up the graphics with high-resolution art, and added one new, ultra-difficult dungeon at the game's end. [July 2007, p.95]