7.5

1. Sep 25, 2019
    Creature in the Well started off pretty fun but I only made it half way through.

Game(s) like: Pinball w/Hyper Light Drifter Pros: - Fairly unique gameplay in you use a pinball like action to get through rooms Cons: - I thought there would be more puzzles but it was really just hitting the ball into things - Could have done so much more with different ball types and stick types

Game(s) like: Pinball w/Hyper Light Drifter

Pros:
    - Fairly unique gameplay in you use a pinball like action to get through rooms

Cons:
    - Could have done so much more with different ball types and stick types that did interesting things
  2. Mar 16, 2020
    When you first start hitting the ball with your stick its fun, but after an hour its boring, after 2 hours its just pain boring. The game doesn't change or get better, you just run around mashing the button of hold the ball then let go, thats it..
  3. Sep 8, 2019
    Very fun game, took me about 7 hours to get 99%. Gorgeous, unique visuals (that can get a bit repetitive but remain readable and appealing). Encountered a small bug where I got stuck in some bumpers by running too fast. Would be nice to be able to retry rooms, but running back after death wasn't a deal breaker. Would like to give it an 8.5, but it deserves the props for being so unique
  4. Sep 9, 2019
    The looks and gameplay of Creature in the Well are very unique, I really enjoyed the art style, it's nothing like I've seen before in a game. I find the controls feel tight and responsive, and they will need to be because this is a precision-based game, it gets intense. I'm positive it would be much easier with a keyboard and mouse though.

Other than my frustration with the switch pro

Other than my frustration with the switch pro controller, I really did enjoy the game. It is unique in a lot of ways, I've played pinball and I've played dungeon crawlers, but never both in the same game.

there is no traditional enemies to kill, instead there are bumpers and robots that shoot you, and, with a top down view, you have to very precisely eliminate the current sequence of bumpers without getting hit by the hostile turrets.

This is the frustrating part, it's very hard for me to aim with careful precision with the analog sticks, imagine playing an FPS with a mouse and then trying to get headshots with a switch pro controller, it's no contest.

with the difficulty of some of the objectives, it feels like the developers originally decided they were a PC release.

Don't let my slight frustration keep you from buying this, at it's current price it is a great time, and don't worry, you can skip objectives if you have enough electrical charge so you wont get stuck.

Get this on Steam
  5. Jun 17, 2020
    I was looking forward to playing a blend of pinball and a dungeon crawler. The actual gameplay experience was very disappointing though. I'd much rather have played regular Pinball instead as that would've been much more exciting and motivating.
    Creature in the Well gets old really fast. It lacks the thrill of reaching high scores in Pinball and it lacks the depth and loot that you'd find in a dungeon crawler. There is also nothing else to do in the game except for moving from one room to the next while trying to hit targets so you can move to the next room and so on. This became immediatly apparent in the opening sequence where your character wakes up in the desert. I naturally tried to explore the area but immediatly got reset to the starting position whenever I moved too far from the intended path, which caused a lot of confusion as well as trial and error within the first 5 minutes of playing.
    Also the graphics, while being stylised, are so incredbibly minimalistic that at times it makes it hard to navigate and differentiate which objects are in the foreground or in the background.

All in all, the game delivers exactly what it advertised. The actual gameplay experience however was quite disappointing.
  6. Oct 10, 2020
    I have seen some people say this game is boring, or whatever. Well, each to their own, but this game is excellent. I thought to myself what do i want to say just now, and this game instantly to my mind: Creature in the Well is a really, really, really good game that is honestly made with real heart. The art style is excellent, and although the environment is not expansive, it isI have seen some people say this game is boring, or whatever. Well, each to their own, but this game is excellent. I thought to myself what do i want to say just now, and this game instantly to my mind: Creature in the Well is a really, really, really good game that is honestly made with real heart. The art style is excellent, and although the environment is not expansive, it is captivating. It does get a bit tough, and there are difficulty spikes, but it is not crazy difficult or grindy by any means. Feels like a fair challenge. Highly recommend. Expand
  7. Jul 16, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I absolutely loved this game at first. The graphics, game mechanics and collectables were all enjoyable... until North Star Conduit and Synchronous Field levels. The difficulty increases dramatically, to the point of sheer frustration and impossibility, which unfortunately ruined the game. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 27, 2020
    The game’s simple but original gameplay idea collides with its flawed design, but is good enough to give players an enjoyable pinball-RPG experience.
  2. Sep 18, 2019
    Creature in the Well is a strange invention but one that ends up being much more than just a curious mixup of genres. It’s a mysterious journey through a weirdly beautiful mechanical world, the pinball-esque hook constantly driving you forward as you explore deeper. It’s an enjoyable venture sprinkled with moments of frustration, confusion, and repetition but that doesn’t stop it being any less engaging and a true one of a kind experience for Switch.
  3. Sep 17, 2019
    Creature in the Well is an interesting take on a familiar set of genres, but it’s ultimately unsure of itself and the gimmicks wear off very quickly.