6.8

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Apr 11, 2021
    I really enjoyed the first Professor Layton game, but I forgot how tired the series had become. There's still the charminge art style and animation. I like the Katrielle character quite a bit. The issue is they had already stretched the puzzle choices pretty thin in the previous sequels and the puzzles here just aren't very good. There's a few clever ones, but nothing to compare to theI really enjoyed the first Professor Layton game, but I forgot how tired the series had become. There's still the charminge art style and animation. I like the Katrielle character quite a bit. The issue is they had already stretched the puzzle choices pretty thin in the previous sequels and the puzzles here just aren't very good. There's a few clever ones, but nothing to compare to the first game. The gameplay is basically push through too much dialogue to reveal a location so you can then bring the map back up to go to that location so you can slog through more dialogue and occasionally get to do an underwhelming puzzle. The mysteries that comprise the story aren't particularly compelling or mysterious. I enjoyed the voice work, but the charm wears thin as90% of the game is flipping through text. There's also tons of extras that I had no interest in .
    It took me well over a year to complete the game after a bunch of stopping and starting. I will say that last few cases are most interesting storywise and I enjoyed the last case quite a bit. It's a shame that the rest of the game wasn't as compelling. If they could house the puzzles in an interesting mystery it would dramatically increase the games value. As it is though, I think I'm done with the series unless they really shake things up.
  2. Jan 2, 2020
    It's a nice game, but some puzzles aren't that logical or unclear what the meaning is. In this game the overall story is very weak, not even once i was curious how the story ended. In the first 6 layton games, the overall story was exciting to follow, with a lot more cinematics.

There is also too much dialog. Eventually i started skipping the conversations. i rather see more cinematics and more puzzles then dialog.

I finished the game, i mildly enjoy it, i will go back to some cases to play missing puzzles, but afterwards i wont play this game ever again.

I really want a layton game like the first six.
  3. Nov 12, 2019
    No es la mejor obra de esta saga, pero si es una muy competente y la protagonista tiene un grab carisma. Y sobre la jugabilidad nada q no se sepa de esta saga. Pero lo q es la historia en si mas floja que en otros titulos.
  4. Jul 7, 2021
    This game is completely made for kid
    I realized this as soon as I saw the female protagonist so if you have kids, this game is the best (with easy puzzle, friendly graphic, and cute character,...)
    With who are fans of Hershel Layton, you will be disappointed with this
  5. Jun 18, 2020
    I loved all of the prior Layton games, but the overall story was bland and uninteresting with the cases being insultingly obvious. The addition of the "puzzle" of putting together the clues felt like a pointless gimmick since nothing clever was ever done with the idea. There are a few decent puzzles in the game, but most of the puzzles are either painfully obvious or poorly written. TheI loved all of the prior Layton games, but the overall story was bland and uninteresting with the cases being insultingly obvious. The addition of the "puzzle" of putting together the clues felt like a pointless gimmick since nothing clever was ever done with the idea. There are a few decent puzzles in the game, but most of the puzzles are either painfully obvious or poorly written. The characters are decent, except for the dog.

I also wish these games would rework the way you find hint coins since randomly hovering over everything on every screen to find them is tedious and doesn't make the player feel clever. I'd rather have a theme for items to click on in each chapter so that at least I could feel like I found them by being perceptive or clever.

Aside from the new characters, I can not think of a single new thing that this game added to prior games. This is a strict downgrade from every other Layton game.
  6. Sep 25, 2020
    I did enjoy this game, however I wouldn't recommend to anyone who has seen the Katrielle Layton Anime series, as many of the episodes are actually the same story as some of the cases, for example Ratman and the money disappearing from the vault. The puzzles were definitely more random and easier to solve than previous Professor Layton games, but still were quite engaging. The minigamesI did enjoy this game, however I wouldn't recommend to anyone who has seen the Katrielle Layton Anime series, as many of the episodes are actually the same story as some of the cases, for example Ratman and the money disappearing from the vault. The puzzles were definitely more random and easier to solve than previous Professor Layton games, but still were quite engaging. The minigames were quite fun but that's all I can really say on them, definitely not mind-blowing. As a big fan of the Layton series I would like to see the franchise continued and wouldn't mind another instalment like this, however I would prefer sticking to the Professor format of one big case per game. Expand
  7. Aug 16, 2021
    This was great! I wouldn't play it as my first Layton game (it seems to assume some familiarity with the game style), but if you're already a fan of the series, 100% worth a play.

It's a Layton game - you know what you're getting in terms of gameplay - but I liked it much better than games 4 through 6 of the original trilogy. I thought the puzzle quality was generally pretty good, and there weren't many puzzles that were based on bizarre assumptions or took 60 minutes to get through a sliding puzzle. Plus, there's no shortage of hint coins for when you just want to be done with a puzzle.

The plot is small-scale, but I'll take that over the last 2 games that were so wrapped up in creating plot twists and drama that I wasn't as able to just get into the puzzles. The game is set up in an episodic fashion, with a number of small cases to solve, which also helps to break up the game compared with the rambling plotlines of the OG series. Some of the small cases are pretty fun, like the Ratman case, and others are just dull, but most aren't actively bad. The characters are pretty dopey - the talking dog is a serious lowlight - but production quality and art are very good, and I'm really just here for the puzzles.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 38 Critic Reviews

1. Nintendo Force Magazine
    May 1, 2020
    I would have liked to see a better payoff to the story's setup at the end of the game. [Issue #45 – March/April 2020, p. 69]
  2. Apr 28, 2020
    My only real gripes with the game come from the occasionally too long dialogue sequences (it seems that every character has to quip or comment about Katrielle's current course of action) and the frustrating lack of resolution at the end of the game. Although the game obviously sets up a sequel, neither of the two core mysteries introduced at the outset of the game are solved at all. If you're looking for some charming brain teasers and puzzles to distract you from the current goings-on, give Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires’ Conspiracy a try.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 28, 2020
    Great for newcomers, perhaps a little easy for experienced puzzle solvers but still a pleasant puzzle game with its typical humour and an episodic approach to storytelling. [Issue#300]