6.8

1. Aug 20, 2019
    DISGUSTING... IS... BEAUTIFUL? I would love to say it's an 8.5, but that's not an option and it's NOT AN 8. As far as rougelikes go, this is absolutely different & so GORGEOUS. This game reminds me of what a game of the movie FREAKED (1993) meets Stanger Things would be. I'm sorry guys, I wish I could say this is one to save money on, BUT THIS ISN'T ONE TO SKIP, this is one to play andDISGUSTING... IS... BEAUTIFUL? I would love to say it's an 8.5, but that's not an option and it's NOT AN 8. As far as rougelikes go, this is absolutely different & so GORGEOUS. This game reminds me of what a game of the movie FREAKED (1993) meets Stanger Things would be. I'm sorry guys, I wish I could say this is one to save money on, BUT THIS ISN'T ONE TO SKIP, this is one to play and tell your friends about! That's because somehow this gem has managed to stay under the radar. Get your freak on, Get'cha, get'cha, get'cha freak on! Expand
  2. Aug 26, 2019
    Don't listen to the bad reviews for Switch! The game is very fun, completely unique, and it is perfect for on the go! I really enjoy playing it and seeing what different mutation my character will get next. It may not look as good graphically as the other consoles, but the portability factor made me buy it on Switch. Turn off the CRT in display option and it looks better. It is definatelyDon't listen to the bad reviews for Switch! The game is very fun, completely unique, and it is perfect for on the go! I really enjoy playing it and seeing what different mutation my character will get next. It may not look as good graphically as the other consoles, but the portability factor made me buy it on Switch. Turn off the CRT in display option and it looks better. It is definately worth checking out for $20. I'm not a big rogue like person, but I can't stop playing it! Expand
  3. Jan 21, 2020
    Rad is a rogue like that was very difficult. After about 10 runs and "easy mode" on I got to the last level. But there were too many annoyances to carry on.

Game(s) like: Enter the Gungeon Pros: - The power ups were fun lots of interesting ones - I enjoyed the look of the game - I liked they had mutations that could either be positive or negative Cons: - You had to activate

Game(s) like: Enter the Gungeon

Pros:
    - The power ups were fun lots of interesting ones
    - I enjoyed the look of the game
    - I liked they had mutations that could either be positive or negative

Cons:
    - You had to activate 2 or 3 temples to clear a level. It could be frustrating to find the last one (especially when you've done this 20 times over its just a trick one)
    - Had trouble seeing some enemies as they would fly on screen
  4. Aug 20, 2019
    Game is pretty fun, but graphic downgrade turns it to the blurry mess, at least in handheld mode. Looks like Mutant Year Zero got a company.
  5. Aug 21, 2019
    The game so far on the switch is a mess to play with, I thought that with drops of framerates were going to be fine... But I wasn't expecting the game straight up crash on me, until I see major improvements on a switch that could handle my character running towards danger (you know, the whole gameplay.) I'm giving this 5 out of 100 and I would go lower, but I wouldn't want to take aThe game so far on the switch is a mess to play with, I thought that with drops of framerates were going to be fine... But I wasn't expecting the game straight up crash on me, until I see major improvements on a switch that could handle my character running towards danger (you know, the whole gameplay.) I'm giving this 5 out of 100 and I would go lower, but I wouldn't want to take a massive do on this game for running on lower hardware.

People shouldn't sell games that couldn't handle the second level, (you heard me right SECOND LEVEL) I recommend not buying it yet until a favourite reviewer of yours decides to review it and he can explain it themselves much easier than I can.

The graphics were terrible, and I mean terrible. The game at times will just straight up pixelate the game so much you can't even see the sprites except a mesh of them.

Music was good, nothing to write about.

The gameplay is actually my favourite part and honestly the only reason I haven't given it a lower number, the game will change it up to whatever mutation you'll have. For example, I had a serpents head for my character that was a really good for hit and run tactic that works really well. And the there was a fireball, and lob it at your enemies and so much more.
  6. Sep 23, 2019
    One of the more intriguing rogue-likes I’ve played recently. Good amount of challenge and a wide variety of playstyles once you’ve become comfortable with the early mutations. RNG is a factor but not prominent for a successful run. Story is pretty standard and nothing to write home about but sets the tone for the game ahead and who doesn’t like the 80s. Some kids playing this game willOne of the more intriguing rogue-likes I’ve played recently. Good amount of challenge and a wide variety of playstyles once you’ve become comfortable with the early mutations. RNG is a factor but not prominent for a successful run. Story is pretty standard and nothing to write home about but sets the tone for the game ahead and who doesn’t like the 80s. Some kids playing this game will have no idea what a floppy disk is haha. Enemies are fair and I’ve found once you have learned attack tells and patterns, it gets easier. Still proves tricky in large groups of mobs though. Bosses I’ve encountered so far are basically just large version of enemies with one or two attack patterns with large AOE attacks. Enemy design is ok, pretty much what you’d expect from a post-post-apocalyptic setting. Each run does feel different from the last
    I’ve read complaints of graphics being bad compared to other console editions. To be honest the graphics haven’t put a dent in the gameplay for me and it still looks pretty. There are however a few minor frame-rate drops when things get hectic on screen but this doesn’t happen often – Usually drops when you activate respirators.
    I’ve currently played about 20 hrs and have only made it to level 6. Overall a good solid game and I want to see it through. 8/10
  7. Sep 21, 2019
    Without a doubt, this game is RAD...and, like, actually rad. While some people have complained that the graphics are a bit blurry, they're honestly not that bad especially when one considers the hardware it's running one. The slight fuzziness isn't at all amiss in this 80's-esque bizarro apocalypse. The gameplay is engrossing once you get the rhythm down. There is quite a lot of fun to beWithout a doubt, this game is RAD...and, like, actually rad. While some people have complained that the graphics are a bit blurry, they're honestly not that bad especially when one considers the hardware it's running one. The slight fuzziness isn't at all amiss in this 80's-esque bizarro apocalypse. The gameplay is engrossing once you get the rhythm down. There is quite a lot of fun to be had here and at fair price no less! Expand
  8. Sep 28, 2019
    Its difficult, It should have a difficulty setting or something! If you lose you have to start from begging and it's no fair!!
  9. Jul 19, 2020
    Pros:
    + nice atmosphere
    + good hit feedback
    + creative mutations

Cons:
    - bad frame rate on switch
    - too short
    - boring to replay after beaten

Mixed or average reviews - based on 14 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    Apr 28, 2020
    A hit-and-miss mix painted up in '80s neon. It's not bad – just not as rad as it could've been. [Issue #42 – October 2019, p. 25]
  2. Oct 28, 2019
    Had the development team put together a point-and-click adventure or platformer set in this world, it would have been much more enjoyable. Because we could focus on a story, we could investigate, see the causes of mutations and inspect why life has been reduced to this ramshackle society. Instead, we’re used to dying in the wastes before being recycled ad infinitum. And what grates the most, is that I wanted to love this game. It has ideas, it has scope, but everything is hidden beneath a smudged ‘CRT’ veneer.
  3. Sep 25, 2019
    RAD is an excellent roguelike, that oozes the signature Double Fine charm from its terrifyingly mutated pores. Beautiful art direction from Lee Petty’s team and solid replay value from the extensive combination of powers each run make it extremely worthwhile.