7.3

1. Feb 8, 2020
    Doesn't have much going for it. The dialogue is very often cringey, it's not even campy or fun like the advance wars games, it's just... bad. The sprites are serviceable, but all the character portraits have these red noses, like they're all alcoholics or something. The game IS very well balanced, but at the cost of not being fun. Battles very quickly transform to "slowly creep forward andDoesn't have much going for it. The dialogue is very often cringey, it's not even campy or fun like the advance wars games, it's just... bad. The sprites are serviceable, but all the character portraits have these red noses, like they're all alcoholics or something. The game IS very well balanced, but at the cost of not being fun. Battles very quickly transform to "slowly creep forward and win by attrition", which may have been novel in Advance Wars at the time, but is grating here. There's a lot of modes, but really no incentive or drive to play any of them. It's just not very good. Expand
  2. May 31, 2019
    This game is like a dumbed down cross between Advanced Wars and Fire Emblem and is not nearly as good as either. Balance is iffy, units are bland and there is very little actual difference between factions.
  3. Feb 2, 2019
    Wargroove is a very solid successor to Advance Wars, though I have to admit, I fell into the all-too-common trap of hyping myself up for this game. In theory, this game would have improved on the Advance Wars model, but it seems to have taken some steps back in certain areas.

Firstly, the game is still fantastic and a great buy for the Switch. I debated between handheld or PC and I think the game is just better on-the-go rather than for the desktop. With the ability to play local co-op, you'll always be prepared to entertain a buddy on those cross-state drives, on long-flights or just waiting around somewhere. The game is aesthetically pleasing and all of the unit models look pretty good.

Now. . . one of the most disappointing aspects of Wargroove is the lack of faction unit bonuses/penalties. The basic infantry unit has the same stats across the board for all leaders. My favorite CO from Advance Wars was Grit- a marksman that improved the range and power of all ranged units, at the cost of all other units becoming worse. I have to admit, I'm sure the way the developers have chosen is better for balanced-gameplay, but I feel like the cost to fun was too great. I especially feel this way about the undead faction- a classic epitome in Fantasy of low-cost, large quantity minions. Unfortunately, they play like everyone else.

On a related note, the game currently does not have any unique units for the four factions, another frustration that would have been relatively easy to add. Honestly, just one or two per faction would have sufficed- instead, the units just have different names.

Overall, if you enjoyed Advance Wars, picking up Wargroove would be a smart play. If not, you may still find some value in your purchase yet- not to mention, who knows what the developers have in store for the future? If they do add some uniqueness and flavor to their factions, this game could easily be 9/10.
  4. Feb 13, 2019
    While it certainly looks the part, Wargroove fails to capture what really made the Advance Wars games so tight and exciting.
    Not everyone can be as polished as Intelligent Systems is with turn based strategy but this game's attempt boils down to little more than Trial and Error level design.
    Just gotta play a level once to learn where enemies will spawn, die, and play again since you know what's gonna happen. Suddenly the map is easy.

I stopped playing once I played the first two missions of Act IV and nothing truly new or game changing showed itself. I have no intention on going back to this tedium.

There may be some value to this game if you get really into multiplayer but it over all offers nothing compelling other than the sweet and charming graphics and easy to use map editor.

Recommend for ONLY if you are a die hard turn based strategy person.
  5. Apr 12, 2019
    I played every Advance Wars game, most Fire emblems, and more games like Ogre Battle, and FF tactics . Wargroove is a downright shame. The game does not ask you to use strategy. There are not multiple ways to attack and defeat enemies and sorties. There are not multiple ways to react to the AI. The AI will not react to you in a seemingly intelligent manner. The game is a sham, and it'sI played every Advance Wars game, most Fire emblems, and more games like Ogre Battle, and FF tactics . Wargroove is a downright shame. The game does not ask you to use strategy. There are not multiple ways to attack and defeat enemies and sorties. There are not multiple ways to react to the AI. The AI will not react to you in a seemingly intelligent manner. The game is a sham, and it's not fun. They are playing on people's nostalgia, it's actually really sad. The only reason they made this game is because they knew people would see what it looked like and buy it since a TBS hasn't been out for a long time. One like AW anyways. Expand
  6. May 3, 2019
    Wargroove is absolutely fantastic. If you are a fan of strategy games, you can safely buy it. Waiting for a new Advance Wars or Fire Emblem is the perfect entertainment, especially after the latest patches that have balanced the difficulty.
  7. Aug 9, 2019
    I loved Advanced Wars so in an attempt to fill that void I gave Wargroove more chances than I normally would but after 25 missions or so in the main campaign I just can't do it anymore. This game is like slamming your head against a wall. Every mission is too long, the maps are too big which leads to a lot of filler turns. I don't know how anyone thought this was fun mission design. AlsoI loved Advanced Wars so in an attempt to fill that void I gave Wargroove more chances than I normally would but after 25 missions or so in the main campaign I just can't do it anymore. This game is like slamming your head against a wall. Every mission is too long, the maps are too big which leads to a lot of filler turns. I don't know how anyone thought this was fun mission design. Also the majority of the missions just feel so rinse and repeat that it becomes exhausting after awhile. The whole leader mechanism means you're often one absentminded move from having to start a 30 minute mission all over again because if your leader dies, that's it. Game over. And so many of the turns feel rote that it's easy to lose track of what enemies are nearby and that dragon half way across the map suddenly becomes the harbinger of your doom.

Long story short, I rage quitted this game a lot.
  8. Jun 28, 2019
    It will scratch your Fire Emblem itch. A solid basic story with great gameplay. It feels so good to build your units and eventually take over your opponent. The heroes have some variety in their special skills, but I always seemed to want more. I wished each faction had a special unit. They all started to feel the same as the game progressed.
  9. Apr 28, 2019
    Kind of disappointed with this Fire Emblem clone. The gameplay isn't bad but the levels seemed unbeatable if you didn't play exactly how the game wanted you to. This made me have to replay certain levels a ton, causing me to eventually put the game aside. I don't mind difficult levels, but early levels that are teaching the basics shouldn't need that much replay to beat. If you can get itKind of disappointed with this Fire Emblem clone. The gameplay isn't bad but the levels seemed unbeatable if you didn't play exactly how the game wanted you to. This made me have to replay certain levels a ton, causing me to eventually put the game aside. I don't mind difficult levels, but early levels that are teaching the basics shouldn't need that much replay to beat. If you can get it cheap, go ahead and try it. It does have very good graphics. Otherwise, wait for Fire Emblem. Expand
  10. Feb 1, 2019
    It's got everything going for it: a nostalgic feel that's not plagiaristic, retro graphics that are done well, and fun gameplay that can be customized in terms of challenge. It's a bit heavy on the "strong female" characters, but we can forgive that because it's so good overall.
  11. Apr 3, 2019
    WG copies Advance Wars but it doesn’t have any of the fun or addictive elements that makes AW the legend it is. WG started off great but then quickly changes into a chore. The difficulty curve is pretty idiotic, calm and steady one moment and then it just gets stupidly hard at the drop of a coin... In a large part WG has a really cheap and frustrating rock paper scissors system, that andWG copies Advance Wars but it doesn’t have any of the fun or addictive elements that makes AW the legend it is. WG started off great but then quickly changes into a chore. The difficulty curve is pretty idiotic, calm and steady one moment and then it just gets stupidly hard at the drop of a coin... In a large part WG has a really cheap and frustrating rock paper scissors system, that and the maps are beyond derivative. Regarding the difficulty... I’ve read how to trick the AI into mistakes etc... but that’s just plain bad game mechanics... I refuse to cheat, if I can’t beat the game via strategy then I may as well put the game down. With Advance Wars, I never had to seek a walkthrough due to it being so much fun in trying to figure out the strategy. With this game I had to... Then when you find out how to beat it... It's like " no way!" Many times the power off button has been pressed on this game... Not gonna boot it up again this time round. Pretty disappointing in the end. My wait for a new Advance Wars begins again. Expand
  12. Feb 2, 2019
    I love the game so far, great maps, great story and characters, the only thing i can't stand and keeps it away from a 10 out of 10 is the fact that you can't place the long range troops where you want and then attack, you must place it where the calculations want and you can't see how much range they have to make the strategy factor more robust.
  13. Feb 23, 2019
    I give this game a 7, because in every way other than balance, it is fantastic, but the glaring balance problems in the campaign are sucking away all the fun I could be having. At default difficulty, you basically have to be perfect to complete late game levels in the campaign, and that is made infinitely more problematic when you consider how long some of the missions are, and the factI give this game a 7, because in every way other than balance, it is fantastic, but the glaring balance problems in the campaign are sucking away all the fun I could be having. At default difficulty, you basically have to be perfect to complete late game levels in the campaign, and that is made infinitely more problematic when you consider how long some of the missions are, and the fact that there are absolutely no checkpoints! The "get good" mindset does not incentivize developers to make good and well-balanced games, and that end product only serves to turn away people who play games to relax! It's great that there are so many options for adjusting the difficulty, but if by the end of the campaign, I have to dial down the enemy damage to less than 75% to be able to survive even 1 strategic mistake, or have to redo an hour+ mission, makes this game less fun than it should be. There's still so much fun to be had with this game, between the arcade mode, and the map editor, and if you go into the campaign with the difficulty adjusted down, that can be fun as well, so I still recommend getting it. Expand
  14. Jun 1, 2019
    Very fun turn based strategy a la Advance Wars. Asynchronous online multiplayer. Love it. :)
  15. Mar 14, 2019
    Tough, cute, clever, nostalgic and full of features to keep you entertained for long. Just an AWESOME GAME.
  16. Feb 4, 2019
    People have been waiting for a solid Advance Wars successor for 11 years, and Wargroove definitely lives up to the hype. The game is phenomenal. A great campaign, "war room" type arcade maps, online CROSS PLATFORM multiplayer, and a ridiculously customizable map and campaign editor, this game jams in a ton for $20.

I would be giving this game a 9.5, but since metacritic doesn't allow

I would be giving this game a 9.5, but since metacritic doesn't allow for that, I'm rounding it up. The devs have been incredibly responsive to user feedback, and are implementing a bunch of fixes that players have been wanting on day 1 (keep in mind, day 1 was Friday, and they are already pushing updates on the following Monday). Over time, this game will be even greater than it was on release, and for anyone that likes Advance wars and Fire Emblem, this is a great game to pick up.

And it's $20.
  17. Feb 6, 2019
    As a veteran and fan of the Advance Wars and Fire Emblem series I eagerly awaited this game for a long time.
    The game does a lot of things right. The music and the graphics are both good. The art style is cool and the design of the factions. The map editor is also very powerful and a feature that is really outstanding. I like the fact that you can share your creations online and play against other players, even though I‘m not planning to play this game online a lot.
    However, there a some things that I don’t like that much. It’s kind of like Advance Wars, but is somehow different at some points. Sadly I feel like a lot of things that differ are not better than in AW, they’re worse. I don’t like that units can’t occupy a village space for example.
    The biggest disappointment for me was the main campaign. The difficulty was way to high to enjoy the game and the scenarios are way too long in my opinion. In the third scenario I didn’t even get S-Rank the first time. And at that point I didn’t even know every unit or mechanic in the game. It just feels tedious to lose in round 20 because you made a small mistake. This is an hour of my time wasted to frustration. I don’t need to win every game first time like a breeze, but AW never felt that frustrating.
    Afternoon I expected more. The story is pretty generic, so no surprises here.

It’s still a good game and I would recommend it, but don’t think you’re getting an Advance Wars successor. Advance Wars was perfect in it‘s simplicity and felt more polished regarding the game mechanics.

Maybe some things will be patched in the future, who knows.
  18. Mar 14, 2019
    I wanted a new Advance Wars game. I got something better. I'll focus this review on just one of the changes that make Wargroove the best Advance Wars.

Having the CO on the field is brilliant. In Advance Wars, you had to capture the HQ to win, which led to drawn-out fights where you had to kill every last unit that could stand on it. With Wargroove, if you're winning, you can finish

Having the CO on the field is brilliant.

In Advance Wars, you had to capture the HQ to win, which led to drawn-out fights where you had to kill every last unit that could stand on it. With Wargroove, if you're winning, you can finish the match right away by gunning for their CO.

The CO is powerful enough to add a risk / reward aspect, too. You're not gonna bury your CO deep in the backlines like a king in chess.

Your CO's unique power influences all your choices. Your units synergize with their CO - like Emeric's mages or Greenfinger's artillery. So each CO is going to do well with a different army composition.

And that's just scratching the surface; the game's incredible in so many other ways.
  19. Feb 7, 2019
    TLDR; Amazing game more similar to Advance Wars than Fire Emblem. Good story line. Fun game play for the go, especially in handheld mode.

Full Review; I was hesitant because I loved Advance Wars, but more for the style of war with Tanks and Troops and didn't feel I would like this with Dragons, and Tree People. I was wrong. its quite enjoyable. I have hardly noticed the change in skin. I will say I have played many Fire Emblem games and never got very far into them. Advance Wars I've finished every game. WarGroove I am near finished with. Im excited to play local co-op with friends just like I did many years ago with Advance Wars.

#JonTonReview
  20. Feb 24, 2019
    I was really scared I am not gonna like this game but it's adorable and hella fun and addicting!
    it made me get to the 5% battery warning without noticing :D
    it has cute characters it's cute and silly in a nice way. the characters are cute and nice IMO. (the tree girl is adorable) the mechanics are fun too! I really love the artstyle and this game looks very pretty! it can be a
    it made me get to the 5% battery warning without noticing :D

it can be a little frustrating to lose sometimes or make dumb mistakes but I love it

one downside: it's very hard to tell what units the icons are referring to in the effective or vulnerable page!
  21. Feb 8, 2019
    i really generally dislike turn based games, especially rpgs... but wargroove is, like advance wars totally focused on pure strategy gameplay without all the pointless filler material, its like chess but much much more fun! the longevity is incredible due to the extremely robust editor and online, overall an incredible game everyone should try even if they dont like turn based strat buti really generally dislike turn based games, especially rpgs... but wargroove is, like advance wars totally focused on pure strategy gameplay without all the pointless filler material, its like chess but much much more fun! the longevity is incredible due to the extremely robust editor and online, overall an incredible game everyone should try even if they dont like turn based strat but especially if they do. Expand
  22. Apr 3, 2019
    Discount version of Advance Wars 1, a game made 18 years back, with a particularly bad Forced Tutorial that even forces suboptimal movement; subtracted good ideas such as Days of Ruin's persistent vision; added mechanics that weren't thought out with their implications; the grading system only even caring about Speed; and even worse unit AND CO balance with obvious issues being aggravated,Discount version of Advance Wars 1, a game made 18 years back, with a particularly bad Forced Tutorial that even forces suboptimal movement; subtracted good ideas such as Days of Ruin's persistent vision; added mechanics that weren't thought out with their implications; the grading system only even caring about Speed; and even worse unit AND CO balance with obvious issues being aggravated, with the developers refusing to care to fix the problems. Expand
  23. Feb 5, 2019
    This game is solid. If you're looking for a Fire Emblem-esque experience while waiting for the real Fire Emblem game to drop, then Wargroove will definitely hold you over. Not to mention Chucklefish has promised free updates, free DLC, and other expansions to the already complete game. For $20, you cannot go wrong!
  24. Feb 4, 2019
    It’s a perfect turn-based rpg with everything going for it: the whole vibe is great, animations are well done, story campaign and the whole cast of Heroes are Engaging. It’s a lot of fun either single player or in multi player mode.
  25. Feb 15, 2019
    Most important: UNITS DO NOT GAIN EXPERIENCE!!!
    And they don't level up. Something even Advance Wars had. The two are therefore not really comparable!
    Most important: UNITS DO NOT GAIN EXPERIENCE!!!

The game is relatively shallow. It is more like a puzzle game. There is just not much room for strategy or tactics being the battles and maps are of a rather small scope and you do not have a lot of options with your units. Second the AI is dump as bread. The game still has some appeal but it's for sure no game you want to play for hours on end. It's a game I would advice to pick up when it is on sale for no more than 8€.

Single-Player Score 0/10:
    If I would had to pay only 8€ for it I would give the game a score of 6/10 but because of the asking price of 16€ I can not advise anyone to buy it if you are only interested in the single player portion of the game. Therefore I give it a single player score of 0/10. If there were unit experience implemented I would give this portion of the game a 6/10.

Multiplayer Score 6/10:
    The multiplayer experience is a bit better because you do at least have a human AI to cope with. Nevertheless the missing units gaining experience thing pulls down the fun with this too. If there were unit experience implemented I would give this portion of the game a 8/10.

My overall score therefore is a 3/10.
  26. Aug 27, 2019
    It is a good game no doubt and it also is pretty well ported to the Switch but all in all it misses something. I can't say what it is but after I've played it through I felt something was missing. Still a good game though.
  27. Mar 30, 2020
    I loved Fire Emblem and The Banner Saga, amongst other strategy games, and found this unbearably boring. Please don't buy just because you like strategy games in general. This is literally for people that are already Advance Wars fanboys and absolutely no one else.
  28. Nov 22, 2019
    Love this game for the casualness and simplicity of strategic game, and it has multiplayer mode. That's a super plus for me.
  29. Nov 21, 2019
    J'ai attendu ce jeu longtemps, je suis fan d'Advance Wars 2 et je voulais retrouver le plaisir du jeu.
    D'un coté le jeu est sublime, la BO géniale et la campagne interessante. le design des factions est cool
    De l'autre les maps sont beaucoup trop grande, les parties longues et je ne retrouve pas le fun de l'ile SPAM d'advance wars ( que j'ai du faire 50 fois ) De plus il y a 4 factions
    De plus il y a 4 factions et à part les skin, rien ne change, pas d'unité propre a une faction ni de bonus/malus. ( la faction de la foret ne devrait pas avoir de malus de déplacement en foret....etc)
    Le jeu est bin
  30. Mar 4, 2020
    Lo mejor del juego es el gameplay. La historia no dice mucho ni engancha pero es muy divertido de jugar y pasar el rato con él.
  31. Apr 9, 2020
    Un videojuego muy sólido que no se aleja lo suficiente de sus influencias para que su jugabilidad se haga valer por si misma. Y en algunos apartados incluso se siente como un paso atrás.
  32. Apr 5, 2020
    I enjoyed this game for the most part but there were a few things that irritated me quite a bit. First the AI runs away and hides when they start to lose to a ridiculous extent. You cannot check the AI you must checkmate them all in one turn. I also didn't like the rating system because it kind of forces you to replay and cheese certain maps.
  33. Oct 1, 2020
    I would have given the very good game a 9 out of 10 points. But since I am banned to play only black people and woman, I cannot identify with the main characters of the game since I am one of maybe 75% withe male people who want to play this game.

It is very good like Advance wars, rhough. Sory guys, I do not see my iwn text here anymore on my smarthpone so I have to quit writing.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 42 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    Aug 28, 2019
    Wargroove is a safe bet even in the face of other more prominent franchises. [Issue #39 – May/June 2019, p. 28]
  2. Mar 27, 2019
    Wargroove goes further than Advance Wars, with a map editor and a more permissive campaign. With a strong gameplay, neat animation and beautiful art, it’s difficult to find any true flaw to Wargroove.
  3. Edge Magazine
    Feb 28, 2019
    It's a game that follows the steps of another while changing the rhythm - and in doing so, never settles into its own groove. [Issue#330, p.114]