6.8

1. Nov 15, 2019
    Lonely Mountains: Downhill might not sound like much on the surface, but this little mountain biking game offers some serious and addictive fun. There is so much to Lonely Mountains: Downhill that the description doesn't cover it. The most important detail, is that this is a game that will please almost anyone. Gameplay involves riding a mountain bike down various mountain trails, butLonely Mountains: Downhill might not sound like much on the surface, but this little mountain biking game offers some serious and addictive fun. There is so much to Lonely Mountains: Downhill that the description doesn't cover it. The most important detail, is that this is a game that will please almost anyone. Gameplay involves riding a mountain bike down various mountain trails, but players get to choose exactly how they want to do that. Players who enjoy excitement can take on time trials and try to get down the mountain as fast as possible to earn rewards, such as new bikes and outfits. Players who like to explore can take their time going down the mountain and stray off the path and try to find hidden areas, such as places where their biker can chill out and take a rest. Each trail comes with its own set of challenges, including timed missions, as well as challenges that reward players for not crashing more than a certain number of times.Crashing will happen... Going down a mountain at breakneck speed on a bike is asking for trouble, but the crashes themselves are part of of fun, similar to the trials series. There's often blood and ragdoll effects that might have players deliberately jumping off high cliffs to see what might happen. Even failing in Lonely Mountains: Downhill is entertaining. To help spare frustration, the game does have checkpoints, so when crashes occur, the player only goes back to the most recent checkpoint instead of restarting the level all over again, as the levels can be quite lengthy. Lonely Mountains: Downhill would not work, though, without solid control. Players will find the controls unique, and it's simple to master. Players can earn parts to build a variety of different bikes, also. This includes models that are good at high speeds, bikes that are good for jumping and bikes that can handle more rugged terrain. Each bike might have certain limits, but they all respond well to the game's control set-up. Lonely Mountains: Downhill somewhat retro graphical style, but it works well with the game. The camera views everything from a third-person perspective, so there are times when a tree might block the view a bit, meaning that a player can go off a cliff without realizing it until it's too late, but perhaps that's part of the challenge. Instead of heavy music, the game's sounds are nature sounds as on a real mountain. That adds a serene element to the title, one that explorers will appreciate as they try to discover all the hidden nooks and crannies of each level. There's a great deal too explore and will provide any player with hours upon hours of fun and challenge. Check it out for free right now if you have the Xbox Game Pass subscription. Expand
  2. Oct 26, 2019
    When I received my review copy for this I really didn't expect much. Like really how amazing can a bike riding game be really? I was so wrong, and found myself so surprised and wrong. I grew up loving the Hobbit so when I hear Lonely Mountain I think of little guys with furry feet and dragons. That all changed yesterday though when I loaded up this game for the first time. The is a newWhen I received my review copy for this I really didn't expect much. Like really how amazing can a bike riding game be really? I was so wrong, and found myself so surprised and wrong. I grew up loving the Hobbit so when I hear Lonely Mountain I think of little guys with furry feet and dragons. That all changed yesterday though when I loaded up this game for the first time. The is a new kind of the mountain and that is Megagon Industries. I never really heard of these guys, and after this I'm really interested in what else these guys have done. This is pure development gold. Never has riding a bike in a game felt this realistic. You just really feel the environments you are in because they are so beautiful to look at. The sounds sound so real. Birds chirping , water running, your bike, etc sounds just like it would if you were really biking down a mountain. It is just mind blowing how great it looks and sounds. I expected a Trials clone, but was so wrong. This game has so much more than that to offer. The camera angles and changes as you ride I have never seen before. They just blew my mind. You will see just about every angle of view on your journey down the hill side. It's hard to believe this started on Kickstarter and this is a Indie release. It really feels and looks like a big budget release, from a major developer. I can't wait to see what is next for these guys.
    There are four different mountains each with four different trails on them. You have to unlock them by completing goals. Some goals will be finishing a trip with under a certain amount of wrecks. Some times it will be for finishing it under a certain amount of time. They aren't super difficult, so you should be able to unlock every area with ease. Some of the items you have to unlock may be a little more difficult though. It never feels repetitive either like a lot of games like this would. There are so many different path to take and find it feels like a fresh trip down the mountain every time. You will have to find these to improve your time any ways if you want to improve on your time to unlock things, and make your way up the leader board.
    The way the game looks and feels I find myself zoning a lot any ways. Just get really into it, because it's so relaxing . The bikes all feel different as well is another reason it doesn't feel like your doing it over and over even if you are.
    Is it for you? I hope so, because it's a really fun and relaxing experience. I found my self having a hard time stepping away from it to do this review. It's also one of those games with a lot of replay value trying to 100% it. Your gonna find yourself going back to it a lot I think. Let's say you only have a few minutes to play before your plans it's one of those you can load up, and just make one trip down that hill before you have to head out. It's also one of those you might find yourself just losing track of time with as well. I really hope to hear from some one who gave this game a chance. I hope they feel the same way about it as I did. If that is you certainly comment below.

Pros: Beautiful scenery
    Realistic sounds make you feel like you are there.
    Amazing unique camera angles
    Radical wrecks
    Tons of replay value

Cons: Froze up on loading screens a few times.

Overall: 8.0 Lonely Mountains Downhill is a really unique cycling game that isn't just beautiful, but also very realistic. You will feel like you are on the mountain, and lose yourself in the amazing game environment.
  3. Feb 17, 2021
    Great game. It feels like your on a real mountain, lonely in the nature. And I have a good mind to downhill when this pandemic is over.
  4. Nov 22, 2020
    Pros:
    + amazing sound design
    + easy to get used to physics
    + smooth learning curve
    + simple controls
    + relaxing

Cons:
    (none)
  5. Dec 23, 2020
    This is a small game I have played for hours and hours and it needs more recognition in my opinion. I mostly play this game to relax, just riding a lonely mountain downhill feels awesome and let me get my innerpeace. After I am done with ripping and tearing in doom and want some relaxing time than this game is amazing.

I see people say this game is frustrating and I dont get why as even

I see people say this game is frustrating and I dont get why as even my girlfriend found this game amazingly fun and relaxing and she is not good at videogames at all. The only thing I had to do for her was changing the control settings so she doesn't have to remember turning left or right but just point where you want to go from out the screen.

So what you do in this game is just riding downhill a mountain and completing some challenges which gives you parts (sort of coin) to buy new bikes with. With those new bikes you can ride the mountain again and find some short cuts that the other bike couldn't do because it was too weak or too slow. With those shortcuts you will get better times and more parts and better bikes. Its that easy.

Also this game looks amazing and the sound design is pretty cool just wanted some sort of sound track with it but you could always just listen to spotify while playing this game so it doesn't matter.

ps: I got it from gamepass so that will influence my rating on this game as it is cheap and gives a lot of fun!

Generally favorable reviews - based on 6 Critic Reviews

1. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Jan 28, 2020
    A tranquil trip through the great outdoors, rich in atmosphere and fair challenge. [Issue#186, p.80]
  2. Jan 10, 2020
    Lonely Mountains: Downhill is a beautiful marriage of aesthetics and gameplay. It has the makings of a minor classic.
  3. Nov 20, 2019
    Lonely Mountains: Downhill has great core gameplay, but it's light on content and its progression forces players to deal with a lot of repetition. The game looks great, sounds great, and controls great (with a controller, anyway), so hopefully the developers get the opportunity to expand on it in a sequel.