- Publisher: Electronic Arts , EA Sports
- Release Date: Sep 15, 2015
- Also On: PlayStation 4
- Summary: Players who are drawn to team experiences can jump into either 6 v. 6 Online Team Play, Online Couch Co-op, or the EA SPORTS Hockey League, that’s been re-formulated to deliver a new player class system for a more competitive and balanced experience. Players who want to build their ownPlayers who are drawn to team experiences can jump into either 6 v. 6 Online Team Play, Online Couch Co-op, or the EA SPORTS Hockey League, that’s been re-formulated to deliver a new player class system for a more competitive and balanced experience. Players who want to build their own legacy can dive into Be-A-Pro, which allows them to start their career in the minors and takes them through a new progression system where how they play on the ice shapes who they become in the NHL. And if players are more akin to armchair GMs, not only can they navigate the machinations of draft day and manage their AHL affiliate team, they can now also manage the morale of individual players on their team.… Expand
- Developer: EA Sports, EA Canada
- Genre(s): Sports, Team, Ice Hockey, Sim
- # of players: Up to 12
- Cheats: On GameFAQs
- More Details and Credits »
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
NHL 16 - EA Sports Hockey League Trailer
Positive: 18 out of 18
Mixed: 0 out of 18
Negative: 0 out of 18
Sep 29, 2015When this game clicks — and make no mistake, it clicks pretty often — it's a thing of beauty to behold.
Nov 2, 2015Lots of options and great graphics make NHL 16 superior to NHL 15 in every way.
Sep 16, 2015I wanted a new distraction to pull me away from my dull adult responsibilities and force me to consider living on 5 hours of sleep. And NHL16 almost gets me there. For the majority of my time in game, I get lost in the flow crisp passes, smooth break outs and well crafted scoring opportunities. But I suddenly find myself escorted back to said world of dull adult responsibilities when my AI defenders gift wrap scoring chances for opposing attackers.
Sep 15, 2015While some game modes still feel like they are living in the past, the return of fan-favorites like EASHL and the improved Be A Pro make NHL 16 a power play that hockey fans are bound to love.
Sep 15, 2015NHL 16 is a huge improvement over NHL 15 in every way, and it makes me optimistic for the future of the franchise.
Sep 15, 2015NHL 16 follows up last year's debacle with a fun, content-packed and beautifully presented hockey experience, that marks the welcomed return of fan favourite modes like EA Sports Hockey League. It is, however, rough around the edges in certain areas, which is what prevents it from being a bonafide classic.
Sep 15, 2015With improvements in nearly every area, NHL 16 is a positive stride in the right direction for the franchise, but like a defensive-oriented team adopting trap tactics, the series plays it safe and lacks any game-breaking quality.
Positive: 7 out of 30
Mixed: 11 out of 30
Negative: 12 out of 30
Sep 17, 2015Great game, don't let the haters get you. Totally improved from last year with next gen. I would've given it a 9, but I'm giving it a 10 toGreat game, don't let the haters get you. Totally improved from last year with next gen. I would've given it a 9, but I'm giving it a 10 to counteract the 0's. No game deserves a zero.… Expand
Apr 15, 2016It needs a practice to be good in NHL - if you are new in this series. I am no big fan of some special mods, usually use quick match orIt needs a practice to be good in NHL - if you are new in this series. I am no big fan of some special mods, usually use quick match or season. I like new on-ice trainer system like a help for new players and real-time hints. Only negative for me - no tournament mode. There is no way how to play your international tournament for your country, but there are national teams. But summary, great hockey game.… Expand
Sep 19, 2015Jetzt wird das Eis geschmolzen! Im realen Leben fluscht der Puck in Deutschland bereits und in der nordamerikanischen Eishockeyliga NHLJetzt wird das Eis geschmolzen! Im realen Leben fluscht der Puck in Deutschland bereits und in der nordamerikanischen Eishockeyliga NHL startet die neue Saison in Kürze. Damit auch die virtuellen Menschen Bodychecks und Slapshots durchführen können, bringt EA Sports mit „NHL 16“ den neuen Teil seiner Eishockeysimulation auf den Markt.
May 11, 2016How can a franchise regress so much in such a short period of time? Nothing makes me more frustrated these days than loading up NHL 16, yet IHow can a franchise regress so much in such a short period of time? Nothing makes me more frustrated these days than loading up NHL 16, yet I still almost do it every day to waste an hour or two so the game does have its benefits.
I usually play in off line mode and usually be a gm. This is where the game use to shine as you took a gutter team and transformed it into a powerhouse dynasty. Scouting, trading and line juggling were fundamental in building a truly epic team. In NHL 16, all three of these things are a clunky, confusing and time consuming.
Editing lines hasn't been more difficult as you have to navigate two menus with the trigger buttons to change ONE player at a time. Want to change up your PK? First you have to left trigger and then slide the menu over to Special Teams, then you have to Right Trigger and slide over to Penalty Kill. Select the player you want to change out (usually having to hit the A button a couple of times before the game responds to it) and then select a new player. But if you want a player out of position (say a LW in the RW slot) You have to Left trigger again, select the Left Wing Menu, then select the player you want in the line. The game then gives you three options Change in Current Line, Change in All Lines or Back. If you select Change in All Lines, then the player being taken off the line will be replaced by the new player in every line the old player was on.
If the spot was blank due to injury or you scratching the player prior to the line up change, the game then brings you back to the first screen of the current Left Trigger Menu (in this case Special Teams) for you to redo all the steps again. It's time consuming and a large step back from the simplicity it was in the past.
Scouting is also clustered. Before, you had nice little list of players from different areas of the world that was sortable in many different ways. Wanted to see what rookies had the best potential in a geographical area to narrow your search? Just click the list and scroll through the different regions to see which one would be more suitable. The lists are now replaced by an oversized world map with tiny little icons pointing to regions with a little pie graph stating how many forwards, defencemen and goalies there are. You choose, using these numbers only what position you want to scout and for how long. You do not have access to the skaters in the region until after you confirm the assignment. If you don't like what is there, you have to repeat the entire process over again. Frustrating and time consuming.
The game also removed the "start in pre-season" mode where you can redo the draft and attempt to sign (or not sign) unrestricted free agents before the first season. This is a hindrance, especially if you want to play Buffalo and are now short an Eichel as he wasn't included in the release of the game but was part of their marketing strategy of the game (go figure).
In the Trades, there is a bug that keeps players highlighted green as you switch trading partner teams. No longer can you select a player, and scroll through the teams to see if anyone would be interested in trading for him by having him highlight to red or green. You methodically have to take every player off a trade request before switching teams. Also, No Trade and No Movement clauses are not in the game and make for some very unrealistic situations. Not to mention budget teams such as the Ottawa Senators are free from their small market payrolls.
And I am not even in the actual game play which, contrary to what others have said, has not changed since 2011. There are still odd puck physics, moves the AI can do but the player cannot (for example, try to have a defenceman stop a puck on his stick in front of the goaltender without it hopping over the stick, or worse deflecting into the net), poor goaltending (goaltenders will let in 1 in every 5 shots if you are regardless of skill) and either one end of an extreme or another (minimal penalties or injuries unless you use the slider where both become unbearable in a game) or having player AI characters not skate with their stick on the ice, or in circles always facing in the wrong direction).
What is even worse, is that I am finding the buttons unresponsive through out the game (and it isn't the controller since it is only happens in this game) from menu selection to line changes, to attempting a pass or poke check. It has be yelling at my screen as the players and the game does not do what I am telling it to do when I want them to do it.
So vent over. This is probably going to be the last EA NHL game I am going to purchase unless they improve the game significantly once the Expansion Team(s) come in and give us the option much like in 2000 to play the Atlanta Thrashers and select our own team through the expansion draft before hitting the ice. But if this game is any indication, it won't happen, but hey MASCOTS!… Expand
Sep 21, 2015It's basically NHL 2015 + the features that should've been there last year. Oh yeah, they added mascots and growing beards...
I play mainlyIt's basically NHL 2015 + the features that should've been there last year. Oh yeah, they added mascots and growing beards...
I play mainly versus AI, and the advantage the other team has is simply ridiculous: defence is useless in your own zone; lifting the opponent stick is useless 90% of the time; Checking would be useful, but the opponent gets up SO FAST that most of the times, you end up with the puck (even with huge hits)... and you don't get up as fast when you get hit. I could go on with examples all day. Instead of adjusting the defence/offense system of the team when you raise the difficulty level, EA decided to weaken your players... and your goalie.
So I'm stuck: if I play at a lower level, I'm crushing the other team, but I feel cheated playing All-star... And what about all those players stumbling when they cross a player on the ice. It's stupid!!!
EA were lazy once again. They know people are gonna buy the game because there is nothing else available. They even kept the images of the cities in the game presentation.
I'm pretty sure they're gonna do the same next year.… Expand
Apr 16, 2016I've been playing nhl in some form since the Sega genesis and this version is the least fun version I've ever played, it's so infuriating andI've been playing nhl in some form since the Sega genesis and this version is the least fun version I've ever played, it's so infuriating and frustrating it's hard to put into words especially when I've loved older versions so much. There's no flow, the AI sticks to you like glue, you lose most puck scrums, passing is so over sensitive, deking has lost its fluidity, my thumb hurts from pushing down the left stick to get any speed cuz otherwise your guy is too slow, online vs. games usually have a very slight almost invisible lag that effects quick plays, moves, shots etc. I could go on but you get the point. Where is the evolution, this should be the best, powerful console, HD TVs, C'mon EA. Put some actual hockey players on staff and figure out THE FEEL OF HOCKEY, it needs a smooth poetic flow to create, where what you envision for a play can happen. It's depressing cuz my winter months are meant for playing this with my buddies gaming dudes online, instead we leave angry and frustrated even when we win games it feels like we lose.… Expand
Aug 22, 2016NHL 16 is by far the **** game ever made! I have never played a video game in my life and I have played video games since the sega genisis inNHL 16 is by far the **** game ever made! I have never played a video game in my life and I have played video games since the sega genisis in which I wanna smash my controllers as much as this game! Its not even fun when you win. it amazes me that these paid off critics rate these games 8-10 everytime, but its quite ovbious that these critics never played a real game of hockey in their life to noticed the flaws anyways! These DUMMIES cant even make simple breakout passes! if the GAMEPLAY sucks, then the GAME sucks...plain and simple...
* - PASSING - Makes you wanna punch walls! WTF was EA thinking in this game, players cant even pass 5 feet! %40 of the passes go into completely wrong directions that you know you bloody well never aimed at! just awful and makes you wanna smash controllers because without half-decent passing the game will suck! I have NEVER in my life seen passing so BAD in any level of hockey! not even in kids hockey!
* - SKATING - god awful, these dummies skate as if the ice is 500 by 250ft! it isnt smooth and they take 25ft to make a simple quick stop. Skating in this game isnt FREELY, you can only skate into certain area's or the computer will fling you back like an elastic, on EASHL the skating forces all the skaters to skate into the cluster zone infront of the net! (example - ill be playing D and ill be watching the play in the offensive zone corner but then all of a sudden ill look at my skater and he's stuck in the middle of the pile infront of the net laying on the ice - brutal!) Most of these defencman skate as if they are 355lbs...
* - HITTING - hitting is useless in this game, dont even bother to use the hit button.... even if you are lucky enough to give off a nice hit, the computer will always manage to skate away with the puck....
* - PHYSICS - god awful physics in this game. Since when do you take a 90-100+mph slapshot and gets blocked and stopped dead on the players stick %90 of the time? They players can amazingly take perfect back hander passes and shot without setting up! wtf is that about? skating 5-10ft ahead of players but get somehow taking into the boards, players on pure breakaways by atleast 10ft hit the blue line and slow down everytime while defencemen catch them at mega speed.... this game is garbage... Not to mention that players in NHL ( or ANY level of hockey) do AVOID collisions, I know they happen but not at this retarded rate! I dont see too many teammate collisions in the beer leagues either...but in NHL 16 this just skate into each other with ease and take 5 days to get up!
* - MENU's - gotta push buttons 3-4x's just so the game responds! and if you dont videos will pop up to make you wait even longer.
* - ONLINE VS MODE - ICE-TILT is unbearable. nothing is worse then outplaying opponents consistently by 25-10 shots, 10 minutes attack to their 1-2 minutes and lose regulary because of garbage glitch goals! This is pretty much every game I play online. The passing in this mode also ruins game play %101.
* - EASHL - I thought this was suppose to be fun? its nothing but a cluster zone pile of ****. Its pure goal sucks, no sence of playing defence because they are usless on this mode at both ends of the ice (since there is no hitting or intercepting passes or even making a half decent pass), Goalies are plug and ruin this mode as well! its choppy hockey and I dont know why but why is the hockey totally DIFFERENT GAMEPLAY on this mode then playing in GM mode or ONLINE VS mode? wtf is that about...
* - AL SlIDERS - ruin this game completely. SUPERSTAR is just stupid hockey in which you have no defence once so-ever as they cant intercept passes, hit, they dont rush, cant pass...but if you play on ALLSTAR the game is somewhat realistic although computer will score on will. It doesnt matter if you adjust sliders because they dont work anyways. Settings on GM-Mode may seem perfect for the first 5-6 games then the game cheats and becomes stupid hard...
I DONT KNOW WHY EA WOULD MAKE A GAME WHERE YOUR PLAYERS WILL OVERSKATE PASSES ON PURPOSE, SKATE OFFSIDE ON PURPOSE, GIVE OFF GOD AWFUL PASSES ON PURPOSE, SKATE INTO OWN TEAMMATES ON PURPOSE, CREATE A MILLION ICINGS ON PURPOSE... THIS IS SUPPOSE TO BE TOP NOTCH WITH THIS WHOLE NEW CONSOLE HOCKEY IT SHOULD BE PERFECT BY NOW, ITS BEEN 25 YEARS BUT ITS BEEN 25 YEARS OF MAKING GARBAGE HOCKEY GAMES! SICK OF LOSING CONSTANT GAMES BECAUSE OF GARBAGE GOALS SUCH A WEAK WRISTERS FROM BLUE LINE WHILE I WORK FOR MY GOALS.… Expand
- (2 views)
- (3 views)
- (181 views)